View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday, Nov. 3

by , November 3rd, 2013 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim @ Sewickley Y

Swam with Jim and John, another Sewickley master.

Warm up:

600 various
    100 scull

Main sets:

Jim and John did 10 x 100 free @ :140
    I did 10 x 75, done as 25 fast + 50 EZ @ 1:40
    100 EZ

4 x 100, I did flutter kick with fins & board
    1 = cruise
    2 = break :5 @ 50, hold same time (I went too fast on this one)
    3 = break :5 @ 50 & 75, hold same time
    4 = break :5 @ each 25 (quads burning)
    100 EZ

8 x 50 build down @ 1:00
    -- I did them burst + cruise
    100 EZ

Jim & John did 8 x 50 build @ 1:00, concluding it was harder to build speed than maintain speed
    I did 5 x (3 x 50) w/fins @ 1:00
    1 = 100 pace
    2-3 = EZ
    -- 2 fly (24 high-25), 1 breast (29), 2 free (24 high-25)
    100 EZ

Total: 3600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt a lot better today than yesterday, thankfully. I could have used some more warm up, but got in some quality work. And it was nice to have some company for a workout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sunday 3rd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx

by , November 3rd, 2013 at 03:59 PM (After a long rest)
    We had a very nice Italian dinner last night with a group of the parents whose children swim with my daughter. The general opinion was that everyone enjoyed the day and they were all very supportive of my efforts which again was very reassuring.

I woke this morning feeling pretty good, a little sore, but nothing I was not expecting. I jammed my left index finger at the end of my 200 and it was a pretty blue color. I iced it which really helped a lot with swelling. Luckily it did not affect any of my swimming yesterday or today but it does look pretty or as they say in Texas, purdy.

we did a similar warmup to yesterday.

500 free
    8x50 swum by 25 IM order, kick, swim, drill swim
    4x50 kick
    4x50 build free
    100 easy
    4 backstroke starts and turns

The kids were all excited about my swims yesterday and they made me feel great.

Todays swims were great and I even swam two events I don't have any perspective on since I don't think I ever swam either in yards in college in the 200 back and 200 IM.

100 free - 49.7
    200 back - 2.06.19
    200 IM - 2.11.12
    1000 free - 10.33.62

I was very pleased with the 100 free and my splits were great; I was out in 24 and back in 25. This was quicker by .5 second than my 100 at spring nationals shaved and tapered and I am definately not that right now. I seem to have strength and speed but no pace endurance right now which is sort of weird based on how we have been training. I was very pleased with the 200 back because unlike the 100 I had pretty decent turns and my splits were pretty consistent. I did not know what to expect from the IM and other than the breast felt pretty good. I highly doubt I will swim this again but it was fun. The 1000 i was very tired before the race but once i got in the water i felt ok and felt better split wise than yesterdays 500 and I had even 500 splits. I had one bad turn at 450 but other than that I felt good considering all the swimming I did this weekend.

I achieved my goal for the meet which was A cuts which enable me to swim up a level and have some competition at my next USAS meet. My next USAS meet is mid December at the COR classic which again is being swum at our facility. I also have a masters meet in a couple of weeks at Baylor which I am looking forward to since it will be my only SCM meet this year.

Updated November 3rd, 2013 at 04:58 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    USA-S Swim Meets / Events