View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sun, Dec. 30, 2012 Animal Meet Results, Canby, Oregon

by , December 30th, 2012 at 10:15 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This weekend was the annual Animal Meet weekend in Canby, Oregon. It started off as a USAS meet, and they have now piggybacked a masters version on at the end of the weekend for us to have some fun.
    Masters have the option of doing the:
    • Sprint - 100 IM, 50 Fly, and 200 Free
    • Middle - 200 IM, 100 Fly, and 500 Free (also what the 12 & under USAS kids do)
    • Distance - 400 IM, 200 Fly, and 1000 Free (also what the 13 & over USAS kids do)
    • Or Masters can pick and choose between all the events (e.g. 200, 500, 1000 Free)
    • An "Animal" award trophy is given to the fastest male and female in each of the categories, Sprint, Middle, and Distance (I went Trophy Hoing today)

The meet doesn't get very populated, partly due to the event selection, and partly from the time of year as well I suppose. I only travel down for this meet because I visit my grandparents for a few days as well on the same trip. I don't think I'd travel this far normally for just 3 events either.

Warmed up about 800 yards or so - I had to get into the "masters mood" rather than the age grouper I've been lately. Lots of 50s and 100s of mostly free and a few lengths of backstroke, with lots of talking in between. I wasn't worried about my swims, knowing my conditioning would carry me through no problem. I really only wanted to do well in my final race of the day, the 1000.
    Did this meet on heavy Christmas training, with no additional rest aside from no swimming on Saturday (yesterday).

400 IM - 4:40.60 - not bad for a "cruise".
    1:00.57 / 1:15.05 / 1:22.19 / 1:01.79
    Got the splits from my old head coach that I used to work with here in Canby. He was there with his high school boys/girls swimmers who were our timers for the day.

200 Fly - 2:14.07 - whatever...not bad for how I swam it
    I told myself that I wasn't going to push it, and that my final 50 was going to be the fastest split of the 4. Who does this???
    Well, my final 50 was a 31.5ish, but not quite the fastest - my initial 50 was a 31.0. I did even split the 200 Fly, which is tough to do in itself

1000 Free - 10:47.92 - very happy with this
    I was only 3 seconds off from my best time in the 1000, so considering the training I'm doing, this is good. I'm sporting a full beard right now, didn't wear anything remotely close to a "fast" suit either, just some plain ol' brief. I just got in a zone and went for it. The guy next to me said his goal was for me not to lap him 3 times. Knowing that, I tried to do just that, and got him 3 times on my final 50.
    Eric told me my splits were (roughly):
    1:00/1:05/1:06/1:05/1:05
    1:05/1:05/1:04/1:04/1:02
  2. Where dolphins swim

The weather down here usually involves tradeoffs. You can have warm, but that usually also means wet and/or windy, or you can have chilly, which usually brings brilliant sunshine. I prefer the latter, because it means very swimmable conditions in the gulf, with the colder north wind creating very calm water conditions in my south-facing beach. (Since the water is fairly shallow, strong winds from the south can make for surf that breaks unpredictably until you get a couple of hundred yards out, and they can also blow in massive man-of-war invasions).

And cold and clear is exactly what I got today. Shortly after sunrise I could see mist rising up from the gulf, there being that much difference between the water temps (around 60) and air temps (around 30). While I was sitting on the balcony admiring the view I noticed a pod of dolphins swimming and bobbing in the water in front of me. They stayed between the first and second sandbars—ie where I swim when I venture in--and were moving back and forth very slowly. I watched them for about 20 minutes before they moved further down the beach.

By early afternoon the air had warmed up to the 50s, and the water was very calm, almost glassy.

View to the east

I decided it was time to go for a swim. I was expecting water temps in the low-60s, but double capped and wore earplugs just in case. I was glad I did, because the water seemed a little chillier than that. I swam the same mile-plus course as last week, down to the beach flag to the east, then back. I swam a little further out from shore than last time, hoping to avoid any hooks and lines from the guys who were surfcasting. The water was more blue than green today, and a little cloudier than last week—I could see the bottom, but couldn’t make out the shrimp tunnels or furrows on it once I got out to swimmable depths.

It was easy going both ways—there was some wind from the north, more noticeable in the water than on the beach, which is sheltered by a 30-foot bluff, but there were no waves or swells. It almost felt like swimming in a big pool. I swam with less skittishness today than last week, and halfway hoped I would see the dolphins that had swum in the same area this morning. I didn’t though, nor did I see any skates, although the mermaids’ purses I saw washed up on the sand suggest they’re out there somewhere. The water felt cold on my skin the whole time, but I never felt cold inside, just happy to be out swimming under the welcoming sun. I stayed in and floated on my back a little after I was done, then waded the 50m or so over the sandbar to get back on shore. It was a good day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gulf east view.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	6929  
  3. Sunday 12/30/12

Sunday 12/30

PM only LCM

500 swim
    6x100 @ 1:50 k/sw/dr/bld

2x
    8x50 @ :40 RED
    3x100 @ 1:25 D1-3
    4x50 @ 1:00 V.S.

100 EZ

6x @ 5:00 per round
    100 FAST from a dive
    100 EZ

Times:
    1:04.6
    1:04.5
    1:05.8
    1:05.4
    1:07.1
    1:06.1

200 EZ

Total: 4400
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Thurs-Sat, Dec. 27-31

by , December 30th, 2012 at 10:19 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Thursday:

Zippo. We were traveling up to Pittsburgh and didn't leave in time for me to hit the Rivers Club for a workout. House renovations are coming along ... why are they always more expensive than you think?

Friday:

Made it to the Sewickley Y for a swim with Jimby's team.

300 choice
    10 x 50 @ 1:15, SDK to 15 meters and build the rest
    8 x 50 kick @ 1:15, mix up strokes
    50 EZ
    8 x (75 @ 1:15 smooth + 25 fast @ :45)
    -- I did evens swim, odds kick, the 25s at approx 100 pace
    50 EZ
    1 x through, each 100 faster even with breaks
    -- I did 100 IMs with fins, think I was a :51 on last one
    100 @ 2:00
    100 @ 2:00, break :5 @ 50
    100 @ 2:00, break :5 @ 50 & 75
    100 @ 2:00, break :5 @ 25, 50, 75
    6 x 50 free w/paddles @ 1:00 smooth

Total: 2800

Jimby and I had a lovely dinner afterward. We checked out Water Rat's new manse (even though he was off skiing). Very fancy!

Saturday:

I squeezed in a dryland session at the River Club.

RC exercises, 10 min
    cable crunches, 110 x 3 x 15 each side
    wide grip lat pulldowns, 75 x 4 x 8
    leg press (on strange machine), 19 x 4 x 8
    abdcutor, 120 x 3 x 15
    wrist curls, 50 x 4 x 8
    overhead squats w/bar, 10
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    plank with flutter kicks on yoga ball, 25 (not so easy)
    box jumps, 3 x 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had a great week of training last week. This week, not so much, too busy with life. Need to get to the pool later today.