View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Workout 12/15/13: afternoon

by , December 15th, 2013 at 03:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    So, my plan was to have the blog title indicate a meet report, but due to the snow storm moving through the region and my getting home from work last night around 6:30 after it started, I decided that the three hour drive either last night or this morning was not worth the risk of an accident. So, I traded my racing jammers for a snow blower and shovel and stayed home enjoying a nice storm.

I did head to the Rec for a swim since I had the day off.

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    4 x 50 kick, 4 x 50 b/c on 1:00

2 x
    - 1 x 300 on 5:00
    - 3 x 100 on 1:45 IM descend
    - 2 x 150 on 2:00 (fast middle 50)
    - 1 x 50 ez on 1:45

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/55 min)
    -----------------------------

Well, enjoying the day, and the snow!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. How to introduce an aquatics director to Masters Swimming

by , December 15th, 2013 at 12:00 AM (Questions from Coaches)
    Q: A new aquatics director was recently hired at the YMCA where I coach Masters. She has no knowledge of Masters Swimming or USMS. What should I tell her when she asks about our club?

A: I recommend asking for a scheduled meeting when you can privately introduce yourself and talk about Masters Swimming. Although within USMS you have a club or workout group, it's important to refer to Masters as a program when talking with aquatics directors or other facility administrators who may be unfamiliar with Masters Swimming.

Aquatics directors often have the perception that swim teams overrun the pool and squeeze out members who use the pool for lap swimming. Aquatics directors must manage these concerns and program the pool accordingly. Get in front of this by explaining that Masters is a program, much like water aerobics or swim lessons, but for adults aged 18+ who choose to swim as their form of exercise to live a healthier lifestyle.

During your meeting, describe how Masters Swimming is diverse in age, gender, and ability. It generates revenue and fulfills a community service-and will often provide expanded opportunities for the facility's existing lap swimmers, not take away their lanes. Give her a copy of the facility booklet that USMS produces to explain why facilities benefit from Masters Swimming programs. This comprehensive guide is very helpful in describing USMS. Copies arrive in club welcome kits each year and can also be ordered online through the USMS Program Resources page.

Invite the new aquatics director to one of your practices and introduce her to the members of your program. Encourage your members to welcome her at every opportunity. Make her feel part of the program by inviting her to social events. Maybe she's a Masters swimmer and just hasn't realized it yet!