View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 12|21|13 The more I focus on turns, the more I screw them up

by , December 22nd, 2013 at 10:32 PM (Blog)
    9 x 50 DFS free on 3:00
    • concentrate on form
    • ease into speed
    • did not accomplish a successful turn

3 x 25 + turn hypoxic free on 3:00

20 x 25 on 0:30 WFS
    • strong pushoff, SDK, and BO then kick hard into easy drill

3 x 25 + turn hypoxic free on ??

6 x 25 on 1:30 HUDKF WS

150 HUDKF WFS

10 x push-off glides for distance from 3' end
    • ~10M

This day, with the DFS 50's on 3:00 I managed an easy 31 with much less effort than the day prior. The turn drills I did must have consumed any available speed. For now - on do the drill at the end of workouts, and avoid on recovery days.

Got to get the turns calibrated down to a high speed, fully automatic and dependable performance, anytime, anywhere, at race-pace.

Updated December 22nd, 2013 at 10:37 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sun, Dec. 22

by , December 22nd, 2013 at 08:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

wide grip lat pulldowns, 75 x 3 x 8
    triceps press, 70 x 3 x 8
    good mornings, (65 ?) x 3 x 8
    explosive leg press, 160 x 3 x 15
    kettleball swings, 2 x 10
    preacher curl, 50 x 3 x 8
    hip abductor, 90 x 3 x 8
    glute isolator, 70 x 2 x 8 each leg
    seated calf press, 80 x 3 x 8
    box jumps, 10
    captains chair leg raises, 3 x 15

Swim/SCY @ Sewickley

Jim and I were both there doing recovery workouts. I hopped out after 2000, and he carried on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think the DOMS are already setting in! Hope I can get in a quality workout tomorrow before the holidays.
  3. COR Classic Day 2

by , December 22nd, 2013 at 03:02 PM (After a long rest)
    Still no speed today but definitely a better day. I am always my own worst critic, but after looking at my splits from yesterday I can take away that I was consistently slow as opposed to dieing. On my 200 yesterday I was out in 26 and then held 28.4s on all other 50s. So despite these being slow I have some pace endurance which is very encouraging pre taper.

I started the day at the pool by being told that the meet officials had pulled me from the 1650 because they would not use my USAS 1000 time as a seed time. It really sucks because I was looking forward to getting a good time under my belt. I have not yet swum a 1650 since being back. I swam a 1500 at the end of a LCM meet this summer and was looking forward to this race.

So today's program was the 500 and 100 free. If I had known I could not swim the 1650 I would have entered the 200 back, but alas just the two swims today.

On my 500 I dropped 4 seconds from the meet last month and did a 5.03.x. Like yesterday, not what i had hoped for but definitely nothing to complain about based on where i am with training. I was out through 200 at a good pace but my tempo dropped a little the rest of the way but still held 30. Mids and highs. At 300 I felt very short of breath and was almost hyper ventilating, but this passed quickly and by 350 felt good again. Nothing in my splits shows this but it felt weird.

There was a big gap between my 500 and my 100 but I warmed up again before the 100 and despite being a little stiff and a little tired generally felt pretty good.

I went 50.36 on my 100 with my first 50 split being 23.95 and my second being 26.41. I started to tied up at the end of the 3rd length but held on. My second 50 was a little slow and despite my time being slower than last month I was pleased with this based on the rest of the meet and more generally where I am in my training program.
  4. COR Classic Day 1

by , December 22nd, 2013 at 07:12 AM (After a long rest)
    Friday proved to be a very long day starting with my swim before heading to the airport and ending with a couple of hour flight delay courtesy of American Airlines. I had a decent nights sleep but was sleepy when I woke up and was not feeling great, but surprisingly did not feel totally bad either. My daughter was swimming the meet also so it was great getting ready with her and also sitting with her pool side(although I kept my distance so she could still hang out with her friends without feeling awkward).

This was the rescheduled version of this meet that got moved due to the ice storms that hit Dallas over Thanksgiving. Due to the shorter schedule(1.5 days instead of 3) I did not do any of the back events.

200 free - 1.51.x I was very disappointed with this and just had no speed at all. I was aiming to break 1.50, so was disappointed. I was out in 54 high which is too slow to go under my target. I just had no speed and suspect I set my expectations too high for this meet.

50 free - 23.08 five of us tied on this time across heats with myself and another in my heat. I did not feel bad on this one but again did not have any speed, and just felt very sluggish.

Today I have a long program swimming the 500, 100 and 1650. Today is a new day and I will swim a good meet today!