View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sun, Feb. 10, 2013 1:00-2:15pm at the YMCA

by , February 10th, 2013 at 07:26 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    It was icky poo hot in the pool today. That was the only negative point of the day though. I had good swimming conditions otherwise. I was solo in my lane for the first 20 or so minutes, then #2 came, and then didn't have a 3rd person till I was past 3000 yards, but the 2nd person got out shortly afterward, bringing me back to 2 in the lane. On the public swim side of the pool there were only 2 teenage girls playing for most of the session, and a mom & dad came with their 3 kids later.

I planned to just do a somewhat straight-thru type of swim today, since usually my YMCA lap swim sessions get me pretty , but today was okay.

Warmup/Main Set/All-In-One workout:

I took just enough rest between each thing to change equipment, which was typically 5 seconds or less. I didn't really check times except for the couple that are noted. It was pretty much just cruising, aside from the final 500 which I picked up a bit.

100 Free
    100 Kick w/ board (all my kicks were ~1:50-2:00)
    150 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    250 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    300 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    350 Free Pull
    100 Kick w/ board
    400 Free Pull (did a 4:45)
    100 Kick w/ board
    450 Free Pull
    100 Kick w/ board
    500 Free Pull (did a 5:45)
    (3500/3500)

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :55 (got 3-5 seconds rest)
    (500/4000)

5 x 100 Free EZ @ 1:20

-----------------------------
    4500 Yards
  2. Day three is in the books

Was a bit tight this morning but it all seemed to work itself out during warm up. I had another good day of swimming for me.

First up, 4IM. Had a lot butterflies in my stomach before this and decided to take the fly out easy and see what I would feel like afterwards. My fly sucks but I like this event. This is about the 5Th or 6TH time I have tried the 4IM
    Greensboro Today
    33.34 34.95
    42.19 43.08 OUCH!!
    41.76 42.51
    41.85 43.63
    48.02 47.01
    49.08 48.62
    39.96 37.45
    39.83 37.21
    5:36.13 5:34.46
    Happy with the time drop but not thrilled with the fl and bk splits. Lots of work to do here and if I get my fly technique down I have the potntial to drop some more time.

50 breast
    previous best 36.63
    went 35.86
    I have broken 35 on a relay before and hoped for a little more but this is fine.

200 free. I entered this just to see what I could do.
    previous best 2:20.43
    today
    35.37 1:07.39
    34.86 1:10.68 2:18.07

I am happy with these splits and probably could have pushed the whole race a little more. Lack of experience.

200 breast. Filler event and I think it might help out with my IM's.
    previous best 2:57.69
    today
    45.61 1:25.79
    45.40 1:31.37 2:57.16
    I just tried to stay long and work the turns a little. Defintely not my race but again I am happy with the splits.

Today I was laid back after the 4IM was over. My better events were yesterday so there was little self inflicted pressure today. Back to lab tomorrow in the pool and next stop will probably be Sarasota unless I can find another meet that doesn't interfere with dance and gymnastics.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Feb 10, Meet Results

by , February 10th, 2013 at 03:45 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    After an EZ day Friday and a quick dip yesterday to practice starts, Forward and Back, I was pretty excited... My starts were feeling much better, cleaner entries. Friday I did a set of 10 x 50 free on 1:00 in which I just focused on smooth technique... I descended my times comfortably from :47 to :36; and since anything in the mid-thirties from a push start is really fast for me, I was pleased with the fact that I felt so "in-control" of the stroke at the end of the set... still pretty relaxed.

My back starts yesterday were going really well. Scotty was watching me, he said my entry was great, my speed off the wall was good, and he couldn't believe how much distance I was getting on my underwater dolphins w/o losing momentum. I was doing 6-7 dolphins and then surfacing for 2-3 strokes before hitting the 15-meter line.

So, after perfecting the back start to my satisfaction I was [sigh] not happy with my back fall-into-the-water-a-second-after-realizing-the-buzzer-had-gone-off version of a start in the 100 Back today. I dominated my age group--since I was the only one in it for this event --and beat my seed time by 7 seconds, finishing in 1:33. But I was pretty flustered at that start, was all over the lane and my form was falling to... well, lets just say it was on a swift downward trajectory. I was confused about the start sequence, so I was justing getting my feet set and my hands on the start bars when the "swimmers take your mark" command came... I hadn't even begun to pull up when the start was sounded (it came pretty quickly too). So my own special start sequence went something like this: (1) *long whistle* grab the bar with one hand, and (2) "Swimmers take your marks"... start setting feet, grab bar w/ *Honk* other hand, and (3) wait, what? was that the start already? (4) fall back, (5) do two dolphins, (6) surface at the flags contemplating whether I should go ahead and finish the even with elementary backstroke. Even with the sucky start Scotty said I was real close to second in the heat (despite the fact that most of the other seed times in my heat were 10-15 seconds faster than mine, the slowest). It hurts to think of what could have been... oh well, maybe next time.

My other events were even less impressive. I was within 1-2 seconds of my seed times on everything else. Seed times (in parenthesis) and results:

50 breast (:47)--44.xx; but DQ'd
    50 free (:31)--:31 ... 2nd in age group; beat Scotty in a freestyle event for the first time!
    100 back (1:40)--1:33 ... 1st in age
    50 fly (:45)--:43 ... 3rd in age; Scotty was 2nd, with a :34!
    200 IM (3:20)--3:21; but DQ'd

I haven't swum but 3 meets in my life, but was disappointed about being DQ'd--in both those events I was in lane 7 (lanes were pretty narrow) with a wall to my left on the first leg and the referee right on top of me. On the breast he said I had a flutter at the end of my kick. On the 200 IM it was my fly leg (I was focussing my breast entirely on having no foot movement at the end of the in-sweep, so he didn't say anything about that). Apparently on my fly I had some flutters as well... though I don't think I was alternating kicks, I've been working really hard on the legs dolphining simultaneously, but I have a dominant leg and so they separate and will look uneven. I've had Scotty watch this in practice and he's said I'm legal just a bit asymmetrical due to a differential in leg strength. And this anatomical weirdness obviously sent up no flags in my last meet, or even on my 50 fly when I was in lane 3 of my heat (2 lanes removed from the ref on that side) today. It certainly doesn't convey any competitive advantages, so the DQs were disappointing. Maybe the ref was overzealous, but regardless I'll have to work on that a lot... I can foresee a ton of kick sets in the next couple of weeks. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions on that. I want to get it right.

Being in a narrow lane 7 on the 200 IM was awful... it was basically an open water swim with the turbulence from the next lane (Scotty was in lane 6 about 5 seconds ahead of me on fly) and the blow back from the side wall... so after a decent start from the block and a relaxed first length of fly everything started to come undone: I practically bounced off the side wall on my first length of back... I'm guessing I didn't have decent velocity because when I counted strokes from the backstroke flags for my back turn I was about a yard and a half short of the wall (gliding in with my one permitted front pull); coming out of that turn was so bad I was practically scraping the bottom... then I had a slow turn in to the breast, remembering I had DQ'd my first event of the day with the breast stroke kick I was hyper-conscious (and slow) about this leg, and then my free was ... well, I'll never know... because I DQ'd, the splits weren't recorded/listed. The timer said something like "nice going; 3:21" before the ref came over to say he was DQ-ing me for a flutter kick b/c my legs were alternating toward the end of my fly. Perfect! There was only one heat of 200 IM, so, yeah, I should expect the sucky slow lane, but I really felt like I could have done better than my end-of-workout 3:19 from push start last week. Just another list of things to add to the long list of experiences I know I've got to have on the way to swimming better at these events. Who knows when I'll do 200 IM again in a meet, but it can only get better, right?

On the up-side, I met another whole group of regulars at these WI masters meets, who were super supportive and encouraging. Folks are so nice at these things! And, maybe backstroke really is my thing... the "short-axis" strokes are going torment me until I get them right... that's an up-side? You bet, I'm all about tormenting myself.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Workout 02/10/13:

by , February 10th, 2013 at 03:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got in for a swim after getting home from church and brunch with my wife:

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

Go four times through:
    - 100 kick on 2:00 with snorkel
    - 200 FR on 3:00 with snorkel and agility paddles

1 x Noah's Ark pull with buoy

8 x 50 on :60, done as:
    - 25 down = burst and cruise FR on :30 (8/10/12/full)
    - 25 back = IMO FAST on :30
    (did an easy 50 after #4 and 8)

200 loosen and out with snorkel
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/50 min)
    --------------------------------

We arrived home safely from Philly last night; we spent the morning and early afternoon there with my daughter for brunch and then shopping at the Trader Joe's and Whole Food stores. It was a great few days exploring the city with our personal tour guide! When it gets warmer we are planning to head down again to take in more of the sights. We received about nine inches of snow here in SW VT, although my buddies in Maine were pounded with 30+ inches.

Good swim today, and started to work the speed at the end of the workout. The final 25 (full b/c) was in around 12.5, so that is good. The Western NE meet in early March is shaping up, and I am in the process of getting the paperwork complete in regards to hosting a recognized meet in my home pool at the end of April again this year. I am not able to get into the competition pool tool much this spring (mostly due to work), so at least a few opportunities is better than none.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Fail, Sunday. Feb. 10

by , February 10th, 2013 at 03:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Team @ GMU:

Warm up:

400 swim
    300 kick
    200 stroke
    4 x 25 scull
    -- 2 front scull, 2 feet first
    -- I warm up slow mo, prolly missed 200.

Main Sets:

6 x 75 @ 1:20
    -- 25 drill + 25 kick + 25 swim
    50 EZ

4 x through:
    150 kick @ 3:00
    2 x 25 AFAP kick @ :30

50 EZ

2 x through:
    -- first 50 smooth and second 50 fast
    -- I cruised the fast ones
    2 x 50 (25 free + 25 stroke) @ :50
    2 x 50 (25 stroke + 25 free) @ :50
    2 x 50 stroke @ 1:00
    :30 rest
    2 x 150 pull @ 2:00
    -- on the second round, I did 100 back instead
    50 EZ

1 x 50 med ball relay -- This is challenging. You basically take turns keeping the med ball underwater the entire 50. I was dreadful at this, had no idea what was most efficient. However, my smart partner Elena did.
    2 x med ball throw for :40
    1 x 25 UW moving over two lanes + 25 EZ
    2 x relays -- one free, one dolphin kick on back UW
    200 EZ

Total: 3650

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am too old and/or too much of a HIT person to skip my day off. It should have been yesterday, but I wanted to get my drylands in. Then, it should have been today, but I wanted to swim with my team for a change. I miscalculated because I had nuthin. This is my worst workout in months. I cruised everything except the 8 x 25 AFAP kick. I couldn't do shooters and I used fins on the 150s kick because my legs were useless and I wanted to go ASAP (as slow as possible). I think the power squats (hadn't done then in ages) and adding the ankle weights yesterday made the drylands relatively harder. I WILL be taking tomorrow off.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 02.09.13 - Saturday workout

by , February 10th, 2013 at 10:10 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at HSA w/ Dave, Dave, Dave and a few others. We more or less followed the workout give to us but truncated it and took it very easy. Dave knocked out a 1:06.5 100 fly inspiring me to do a really hard 200 broken breaststroke.

SCY

400 Choice
    3 x 100 free - 1:30, descend (1:18, 1:12, 1:07)
    4 x 50 Kick w/ fins - 1:00
    4 x 25 - :30 easy/hard

200 Kick w/ fins
    4 x 75 - 25 easy, 25 drill, 25 hard, IM Order
    200 Br kick
    50 Easy

200 Timed Br, :10s rest @ each 50 (2:37) - about where I thought I would be. 1st 2 50s were fairly easy. 2nd two were painful. I was going a little late because Dave was calling my sendoffs from a different clock than i was looking at. Probably closer to 2:32-2:34 w/ :11s-:12s rest.

150 Easy

(2100 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts