View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 2012 Harvard New England scy Champs 3/16-18

by , March 18th, 2012 at 10:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Just pulled into station from our trip to Boston for the weekend. Another excellent meet with fast swimming and plenty of time for socialization with the other 887 swimmers from New England and abroad. I spent most of my days hanging out with my adopted team, Cape Cod Masters, but was able to check in with fellow bloggers [ame="http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=4899"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame] and [ame="http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=5129"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. I also met some new folks, including the Kosiorek brothers, who I went to UMass (Amherst) swim camp with way back in the day, and Justin B, who is battling the GTD with me (at least we always seem to be neck and neck). I was able to better all of my Masters best times, so it was a very successful meet for me.

Friday, March 16

#10 Men 50 Freestyle Time: :24.37
    WENT: 24.22 r:+0.92
    This swim felt good. I was a tad slow off the blocks and didn't start attacking it quickly enough - need to work on breathing less and just powering it.

#12 Men 200 Backstroke Time: 02:11.88
    WENT: 2:09.15
    31.27 1:04.28 (33.01)
    1:37.15 (32.87) 2:09.15 (32.00)
    I split this really well and was happy to swim it during the first day of competition this year. Two second time drop, still need keep at those SDK's off the walls - went 7,5,5,4,3,2,1 and streamlining, which fell apart in the last 75. Still, first place finish for my age group.

#14 Men 100 Individual Medley Entry Time: 01:03.18
    WENT: 1:02.88 r:+0.83
    28.24 1:02.88 (34.64)
    Dropping time, which is the goal. Felt really good, not too much to comment on here.

** Early night - at the hotel by 4:30ish. Took a nap, had supper, and then went to the planetarium (Boston Museum of Science) with my daughter to watch a flick about the universe - amazing stuff.

Saturday, March 17

#24 Men 50 Butterfly Entry Time: :26.84
    WENT: 26.48 r:+0.75
    Played with more SKD's - helped a little. Good swim.

#26 Men 200 Breaststroke Entry Time: 02:55.14
    WENT: 2:52.84 r:+0.84
    38.89 1:24.37 (45.48)
    2:08.62 (44.25) 2:52.84 (44.22)
    Wow, I actually gave a some fruit to the 200 breast? Yuppers - my goal for a FIRST EVER EVER 200 breast was to break 3 minutes. I focused on LONG underwaters (just about made the 15m mark the first four), swim an easy 125 then rock it home. Was a good swim (I've been working pull and kick from my Cape buddy Jim), and Rich suggested tossing the kick at the end of my pull after he swam. You'll recall my slow pace put him into a trance and the announcer had to call "SwimStud, wake up and get on the block." It was as if St. Nick was dashing down the stairs at Harvard, as I saw him spring onto the lane 3 platform then rocket off to a PB. Dude is awesome.

#32 Men 200 Freestyle Entry Time: 01:57.19
    WENT: 1:56.62 r:+0.77
    27.55 57.50 (29.95)
    1:27.68 (30.18) 1:56.62 (28.94)
    Felt really strong, and I used a forceful two beat kick for the first 50, then gradually added legs after each turn. I waited until the 75 flip to really pick it up, and I will start a little sooner next time and attack the 3rd 50 more.

#34 Men 100 Backstroke Entry Time: :59.45
    WENT: 58.78
    29.18 58.78 (29.60)
    Finally under the 59 mark, and based on the swim I need to take this out faster - I think I can hold on the back end. Dan from Pittsfield noted that I was not driving my shoulders enough, so I will work on that.

** This was not only my long day, but the meet's, as we got out around 6:30pm. That was a lot of swimming - I just ate supper and went to bed.

Sunday, March 18

#42 Men 200 Individual Medley Entry Time: 02:22.47
    WENT: 2:14.31 r:+0.80
    28.14 1:00.99 (32.85)
    1:44.72 (43.73) 2:14.31 (29.59)
    Wow! I went 2:22 in January, so this was a SIX second drop for me - still hard to fathom it. I stayed strong on the fly, worked the shoulder rotation (with less kick) on the back, then busted a long while shifting my kick for the breast before bring the free home. Jim noted that I did not lose time on the Breast, which I have always done before. It felt awesome, so it is getting the Chiquita®.

#44 Men 50 Backstroke Entry Time: :27.76
    WENT: 27.60
    Happy with this swim. The only thing I will note, without a hint of whining, is that in lane one the flags do not fully extend over the lane - they are clipped to a plastic line. I was really far from the finish when I pulled out the "Leake Lunge," and could have short stroked it for a quicker time. Still, I was happy to get a little faster.

#52 Men 100 Freestyle Entry Time: :52.60
    WENT: 52.14 r:+0.79
    25.23 52.14 (26.91)
    This was a good swim, and I was right next to Dave F. from the Cape on this one. I swam it 25 strong, 50 sprint, 25 last swim of the meet ... probably could have gone out with more intensity on the first 25 and gotten under 52. That will have to wait until next year.

*** Beautiful day in Boston, 70 degrees, St. Patty's Day parade (which the family took in). I feel really blessed to be able to swim in this neck of the world, and to have this great facility and meet to dive into. For the 3 hour ride home I always take Rt 2 back to Vermont, driving through Concord like Paul Revere, past Leominster (birthplace of Johnny Appleseed) and Gardner, the furniture capital of New England before you get to the the toilet paper factory in Irving. Lot's of history here. A great meet, and our prayers for save travel and competition were answered. Now, I am going to complete my warmdown for the day with a dip in the hot tub, then .

Updated March 18th, 2012 at 11:01 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Recovery Swim, Sunday, March 18

by , March 18th, 2012 at 09:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to the pool with Jimby this afternoon for some IG before he left for Pittsburgh. I felt fine during the swim, but like this now. Hope I can sleep tonight.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

5 x 50 fly drills

4 x 100 smooth @ 1:45

5 x through, mix up stroke & kick
    1 x 100 smooth @ 2:00
    2 x 50 smooth @ 1:00
    4 x 25 DAB @ :30

Total: 2750

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My iPhone went nuts earlier today. I have to restore it. I'm worried I will have lost all the pics and vids from yesterday as they weren't backed up. Sigh. Oh well, at least I saw the flaws in my fly race.

Back to the couch for the rest of the Walking Dead marathon before the season finale.

Holy crap. I just saw that Caroline Krattli and Sue Walsh have aged up into my age group. The recent crop of 50 year olds are insanely fast.

Preliminary results from the meet:
    http://www.pvmasters.org/results/ancm0312.htm

Updated March 18th, 2012 at 10:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. An IM sort of day

I had a good swim this morning at Riverbank with Hannah and Rondi. The pool was a good temp, and not crowded—it was just us three in the lane for most of the session. I was in an IM mood this morning, so here’s what I did:

800 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p)

200 IM, build each stroke
    3 x 100 (50 stroke strong / 50 easy FR), ST= IM order no free
    400 IM kick
    400 FR swim build by 100

300 IM, build each stroke (dramatically)
    4 x 50 (25 fast / 25 easy), IM order
    300 IM kick
    200 FR pull w/ paddles, build by 50s

200 IM, working turns and walls, rest easy
    4 x 50 (10-second sprint, rest easy), IM order
    200 IM kick
    100 FR swim

100 IM strong
    100 FR pull
    100 IM kick
    100 easy swim

200 warmdown + play

I was enjoying the fast stroke swims today and feeling smooth in the water on all my strokes. It makes such a difference when the water isn’t too hot—both yesterday and today I didn’t want my swims to end.

I had planned on heading out to the beach again today after my swim, but decided to stick close to home instead and get some chores done so that I don’t start the week feeling behind. Looking forward to a mid-week beach outing this week though!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 18

by , March 18th, 2012 at 12:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Got a decent night's sleep and headed over to the pool around 1:00 pm. My houseguest, Jimby, showed no signs whatsoever of his previously reported malaise. And was fortified by my diva smoothie and eggs. Did about a 30 minute warm up and then hopped out early to don my new suit since I was in the first event.

50 fly SCM, PR/NR/WR, 29.54

Did this as a split request in the 100 fly so that I could swim it at the beginning rather than end of the meet. Very psyched and surprised by the time. My previous best was a 29.6 in a B70 back in 2009. Based on my 26.7 at Warrenton, I was secretly hoping that maybe, just maybe, I'd see a 29.99 if all went well. So I was thrilled to see this time. Particularly so, since (unlike Warrenton) my race execution was not great. I got off the blocks fast. But my breakouts were subpar: I lifted my head too much and decelerated slightly. I probably should have done one less kick. My walls were not ideal either. I glided a bit into the turn and had a major glide at the finish. I think this is just the difference between yards and meters. When I saw I was short of the wall, I did kick like crazy. Jimby videoed the race, so I'll upload it at some point. I was very fortunate, being in lane 1, that no one was swimming in the adjacent diving well. Only took one breath after the breakout on the second 25. This swim chopped .8 off my 30.35 WR set last December.

100 SCM back, 1:08.85, PR/NR

The starter held us a LONG time, the longest I've ever been held in a backstroke event. Everything went well in the race until the last 10 meters. I died the last bit (legs paralyzed) and had a HUGE glide into the finish. Definitely should have taken another stroke. This cost me a few tenths for sure. Splits were 32.5/36.2. So I got out after it. My underwaters were solid. I think I went 15/15/15/10 SDKs. I was right on the 15 meter mark at the start. A teammate in the stands said it was legal, but I was very close. This may mean that when I'm doing SDKs at 100 pace, I've got to stick with 14 at the start. Though I was slightly off the WR KPN set last week in France for her French team, I was still really pleased. I never thought I'd go a 1:08 and it is a new NR, beating my previous one from this meet last year. I remember the very first time I swam this event back in 2007 at this meet (next to Julie Roddin), I went a 1:15 with very few SDKs.

50 free, NS

Didn't get to swim this unfortunately. After my 100 back, which I swam around 5:30, I felt really sick for about 90 minutes. Nauseous and shaky and red faced. Couldn't warm down. First time that has ever happened to me at a meet. I think it was likely due to poor nutrition. I hadn't had anything to eat since noon except a few honey stinger chews after warm up. I probably needed more carbs in my system before ingesting coffee. Was likely too busy chatting and forgot. Need to keep better tabs on this in the future. I was sorry to bonk and miss this event since I was swimming well and had plenty of rest for it. But crap happens. It really did not in any way diminish my happiness with the other two swims.

200+ year 200 SCM mixed medley relay:

After another hour+ went by, I warmed down a bit and felt well enough to swim my team relay. Wolfy was watching and said I split a 29.5. I was surprised since I was tired (8:00 pm), paced the first 25 slightly, and took 3 breaths instead of one. I had better breakouts and walls though. I'll have to double check this split later when results are up. This is a good relay for our team. Last year in the 160-199 age group we were #2 in the nation. This year, with Speedo gone, our team captain anchored.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Really happy with the times!!! Last year, I swam like crazy at this meet, but had a full 3 week taper. I did the same drop taper for this meet that I did before Warrenton. But since I only lifted once during this 3 week period, my body was pretty rested.

And even though Nats is just around the corner, I glad I took this approach. I feel like I've knocked my 50 back and 50 fly in yards and meters way down, and they'll be untouchable for a little while at least!

Now for a recovery swim if I can ever get Jimby out of bed. He finally arose at 11:30 bragging that he out slept my teenager. I slept very little last night, so it may take me a few days to catch up on sleep.

Thanks to Patrick for writing this:
    http://theswimmerscircle.com/2012/03...other-barrier/

Updated March 19th, 2012 at 12:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  5. March 17, 2012 - Rinconada Masters Spring Short Course Meet

I swam in my first masters meet today, the Rinconada Masters Spring Short Course Meet. I swam the "novice" 50 free (first timers only), the 200 free, and the 100 breast. The weather was awful, low 50s and quite windy, but at least the rain that was threatening to fall all day stayed away.

My last meet was in 1980 and I have only been swimming regularly for 4 months, so I wasn't sure what to use for my entry times. I thought about using the times I hoped to do - :29, 2:20, and 1:25, but in the end I decided to use times that I have actually done in workout - :32, 2:32, and 1:40. This was probably a mistake.

My first race was the 50. I was never a sprinter and wouldn't have entered this except I figured I shouldn't waste my one and only opportunity to race as a novice. I went a :28.2. My start was really deep (I also hadn't done a start from a block since 1980), my turnover felt slow, and I felt like I could have done another 50, so while I was happy with the time I am sure I can go faster.

I was happy to have the slowest seed in my heat for the 200 because the fastest seeds were about what I hoped to go. I tried to stretch out and relax on the first 100, it felt great and I saw 1:05 coming off the wall. I tried much harder on the second 100 and I think I forgot about relaxing. I went a 2:16.1, again about 5 seconds ahead of second place. I was happy with the time because it was faster than I hoped to go, but I think I can go faster with more focus on my technique.

My plan to use my best workout times probably hurt me the most in the 100 breast. One other person had seed time of 1:40, he ended up the slowest seed in the second heat and I ended up the fastest seed in the first heat. I went a 1:20.5 and was about 25 seconds ahead of second place. I would have won the second head with that time, but it would have been a close race so maybe I would have gone faster. I have done very little breaststroke in workout so far, and my technique is straight out of the 70s, so I think I can go faster with some practice.

All in all I am really happy with the meet. I had a lot of fun and my times were better than I hoped, and I think I can do better the next time I swim. In hindsight I should have used faster seed times and entered more events. Next time I will know ;-)
  6. St. Patrick's Day 2-milers...

by , March 18th, 2012 at 01:30 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    I walked two miles and swam two miles today... what glorious weather (sunny and seventies)! I only wish we had an LCM pool outside right now. The SCY box at the YMCA today--even though we have these beautiful windows that let the sunlight in--seemed confining with so much good weather outside.

The two-mile swim was continuous and fairly relaxed. I'm gearing up for a long swim tomorrow and I did some faster work yesterday, so today had to get me in the mindset without wearing me out too much. I broke up the swim mentally into 20-minute/1K segments (1000 free, 100 breast... as usual for me); finished 3K in about 59 minutes and then swam an easy 200 to complete the two miles.

I'm hoping to do 8K tomorrow morning, so tonight I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by carbo-loading with Mexican food!
    Categories
    Uncategorized