View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday at Mason, March 31

by , March 31st, 2013 at 06:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 back shooter w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 belly shooters w/fins @ :45
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

Main Sets:

1 x 50 AFAP double shooter w/fins, 21 high
    150 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP breast w/fins, 27 high-28 flat
    150 EZ

Tried a set from workout #6 of the HIT forum, felt pretty dreadful:
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...k-14-April-1-7
    6 x 75 IMs @ 100 pace + 75 EZ @ 4:00
    1 = 50 fly + 25 back, break :10
    2 = 25 fly + 50 back, break :10
    3 = 50 back + 25 breast, break :10
    4 = 25 back + 50 breast, break :10
    5 = 50 breast + 25 free, break :10
    6 = 25 breast + 50 free, break :10

50 EZ
    5 x 50 scull w/agility paddles @ :25 RI
    100 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP flutter kick w/fins @ :30
    -- tried to hold 12s
    -- was supposed to do more of these, but was cramping so desisted

50 EZ
    5 x 50 smooth free w/agility paddles, work UWs @ 1:00
    50 EZ

Total: 3550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got home safe and sound. But it was a long trip and I didn't get to sleep until after 2:00 am. Was pretty tired today. It is blissful swimming at Mason on the weekend though -- virtually empty.

My 100 conditioning definitely took another hit on vacation. The 75s were hard. I contemplated just bagging any further work on 100s, but I'll probably keep plugging away with what time is left just because they will likely help my long course 50s in June. My current plan is 2 1/2 weeks hard (including today), rest 4 days for Zones, bump it up 4 days after Zones and then taper for two weeks for Indy.

What are peoples thoughts on this: Do weights help more for long course or short course?

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. In my Easter bonnet

This morning I enjoyed a short solo swim at the Y. The pool seemed to have more than its share of grumpy clueless lap swimmers today—there were several mild arguments, and once I looked over to see some woman wagging her finger at the lifeguard, who was trying to restore order to the slow lane. But happily the fast lane was a model of friendly cooperation for the duration of my swim, with the two guys I shared with (one during warmup, the other during warmdown) being competent and willing circlers. Here’s what I did:

1000 warmup (400s, 200 rev. IM kick, 200 pull, 200 IM drill/swim by 25)

8 x 75 (25 kick, 25 build, 25 AFAP) @ :45 RI, 2 of each stroke

400 warmdown + play

Sprints felt good.

Afterwards I went upstairs for weights and stretching. I’m stoked to be seeing some progress in the weight room--here’s where I am on my currently (all the sets of less than 6 were done until failure, except for bench press where I’m aiming for 10/8/6):

Military press 1 set of 12 @ 15-lbs, 1 set of 6 @ 17.5 pounds
    Butterfly 1 set of 12 @ 12.5, 1 set of 7 @ 15
    Bicep curls, 1 set of 12 @ 15, 1 set of 5 (right) / 6 (left) @ 15
    Single arm rows: 2 sets of 12 @ 17.5
    Forward/sidewards/rear deltoid raises: 2 sets of 12 @ 7.5 lbs
    Lat pull-downs (on machine): 2 sets of 12 @ 65
    Bench press: 12 @ 45 (warmup + form check), 10 @ 55, 8 @ 60, 5 @ 65

Bench press stabilization: 2 sets of 30 @ 30 lbs
    Lat/scapular stabilization: 2 sets of 40 @ 40 lbs
    Wrist curlicues: with 3-lb weights

. . . because if not today, when?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peeps cap.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	7350  
  3. 3-23 thru 3-30 Back from El Salvador

by , March 31st, 2013 at 01:51 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I had a great time away on my family visit trip to El Salvador. It is a whole new experience to go to a third world country, and just live right amongst them for a week like we did. At least we had family to be with the whole time.

Got to the airport in the afternoon around lunchtime, and it was HOT! We were greated by my wife's brothers and their families, and my mother in law. We gathered our stuff and headed out to the shade beneath one of the many palms to enjoy a nice home meal from Pizza Hut! I ate like crazy, not knowing what I'd have later on.

After finding that a rental truck was over $700 for the week (outrageous), we just piggybacked in the two brother's trucks back to my MIL's house, about a 2 hour drive or so. Driving is very different there. You just drive, pass, and get there how you can. Everyone uses trucks, 'cause you can pile in more people that way, and not a lot of folks even have a vehicle, so walking or biking is another mode of transportation.

Housing is what it is. You make a place where you can. Land just gets claimed by a family, you build a wall/fence around it and use it. Houses are made out of cinderblocks if they can afford it, or adobe mud blocks, or in one case, I saw a house made of corn stalk bundles (temporary) while waiting for their other house to get constructed. It's hard to really describe it, and pictures don't tell the whole story either...you literally have to see it and live it to understand how life is.

This is my mother in law's house in the patio area out back:

This is a picture from a house that was being constructed near my brother in law's house in the mountains. Adobe mud block, with the roof trusses being lifted into place. They're made out of wood from mango trees, a very dense, heavy, strong wood:

We went to a local swimming pool "resort" area down the road from my MIL's house for a day, and had fun. I even had a nice import beer with my lunch there...Miller Genuine Draft. First drink in a while, and it was yummy. There were 5 pools at this place, all of them for playing, but I made use of one early in the day before others got there to do some lap swimming. The pool water was so cloudy that I couldn't see past my elbow in front of me either. I swam along one side, and found some landmarks to let me know when the end of the pool was coming. No flip turns, didn't need to risk smashing my heels. It was roughly 20 yards long or so, I took between 10-11 strokes after my streamlines. It felt great to be around the water and get out of the heat for the day, and the food there was just great!

The "lap pool" (notice that no firearms are allowed):

Another day we took a trip to a beach area, Playa El Espino. Found a place to park in a secured area with patio tables, covered, with hammocks, rinsing showers, and bathroom facilities...a big plus for sure! We had fun playing in the waves, picking up shells, found a couple live sand dollars, lots of crabs, a few cupfulls of clams. The crabs and clams became dinner later that day. The waves were just intense! 6-10 foot waves out were I was at, and almost as fierce closer in to shore. I did try a little OW swimming while there, going down the shoreline a bit. Kept an eye on the large cell tower above the resort I was at for a landmark, but didn't venture very far. I know my capabilities, and didn't want to push them to the limit. I had my fun, and then just played in the waves the rest of theday.
    I was anywhere from 30-50 yards out from shore and still able to stand in chest deep water, but those waves let you know who the boss was of the place. I body surfed a few of the waves quite a ways, and one all the way back in to my family. The beach lifeguards had to go out after a couple guys too, so that was kind of exciting to watch the action. The one guy had a life jacket on, and the other guy was holding on to him. 1 jacket isn't made for 2 people, so they were in trouble, and neither of them could swim very well. The guards made it out and got them back in okay after a long time battleing the ocean waves. They also closed the area to any "swimming" for a while until things calmed down.

We spent much of our time going in and out of the local city, Usulutan. It's the 5th largest city in the country. Everywhere you go, you see police presence. Every place that has money, drugs (pharmacies), or valuables, has armed guards stationed at them like this Western Union money office:

The city streets are just crowded. It's a car-first world. Pedestrians and bikes just have to get out of the way. Driving, you just stick the nose of your vehicle out there and hit the gas. No one worries about tailgaters, they just drive. Pass when you can, and get there. I never saw one accident the whole time I was there, yet with the same conditions here in America, people would've been slamming on brakes, veering out of the way, causing more havoc than needed. In a way, they people of El Salvador know how to drive better. I took a turn at the driving and just loved it. I fit right in, and it was great to just get out and go. You still have your limits with speeding, though it's not anything written down. The police put out moving roadblocks through series of cones along the highways that you must slow down through, and they check the vehicles as they go by for anything illegal.

Here's a few shots of the city streets of Usulutan:

A great trip for sure. I had a lot of fun, and if any of you want to see more pictures of the trip, I have them all uploaded on my Facebook account
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 03.30.13 Saturday workout

by , March 31st, 2013 at 09:50 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    HSA took Easter weekend off so I did a solo afternoon swim at Dublin. Two of my kids worked out next to me. I figured they would play more (they are 6 and 9) but the seemed into swimming laps like dad. Pool temp was back down to 85. I brought one of Fortress' speed workouts expecting 86-88 pool temp. My swim bag lacks most of the toys for the workout as it was on the sheet (monofin, parachute, small paddles, etc.) so I improvised where needed.

SCY

1000 IM Easy

4 x [:15 fast VK + 15 AFAP + 35 Easy] - 2:00
    100 Easy

4 x 25 fast scull w/ paddles - :40
    50 Easy
    4 x 25 burst + cruise - 1:00
    50 Easy

4 x [6 x 25 dolphin kick w/fins] - :50
    R1 = back, R2 = belly, R3 = left side, R4 = right side
    #1 - 10y fast
    #2 - 15y fast
    #3 - 20y fast
    #4 - Easy
    #5 - AFAP
    #6 - Easy
    100 Easy

4 x [6 x 25 - :30 @ 100 pace + 4 x 25 Easy - :30]
    R1 - Fly/Bk/Br x 2
    R2 - kick
    R3 - Fly
    R4 - fins + paddles
    100 Easy

10 x 50 - 1:00/1:15/1:30
    * 2 scull w/paddles
    * 2 pull
    * 2 free
    * 2 back
    * 2 breast pull w/ paddles

200 Cool down

(4100 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 03/30/13:

by , March 30th, 2013 at 08:19 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill/100 Kick

6 x 250 on ~ :20sr
    - Descend 1-3 FR (with snorkel)
    - Descend 4-6 BK
    (Did Pull with buoy, swim with Agility Paddles, Swim)

8 x 75 on 1:20 (~ :15 sr)
    - Kick/Swim/Pull with buoy by 75
    - Mixed in strokes, even one BR

100 Loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/55 min)
    ----------------------------

This morning I coached the masters team in town and we had two new swimmers stop by! We did the above workout, but abbreviated to allow for some POW (Pool Open Water) training, where I took the lanes out and had the team swim diagonally down the pool length, across the pool width, and then back up the length of the pool to the starting point. Did it "paceline," where you swim on the the feet of the person in front of you, trying to stay even the whole way. Also worked on some sighting drills, then 8 x 25 AFAP on :50, which I joined in on.

The Easter Egg hunt at the house this afternoon was great! A total of four nephews, two nieces, and three other little family friends came around 1pm for the hunt, then we had desserts to share. I also played some basketball in the driveway with my daughter, son, two brother-in-laws, and a couple of older nephews. The game was "knock-out," where you form single-file behind the free throw line and use two balls. First player shoots, and the race is on to get the ball in the hole; if the player behind you makes the basket (either on the free thrown or off the rebound) before the first player makes it, the first is "knocked out." Then the line keeps moving until only one person is left. Played for about 30 minutes, mostly nonstop.
    A really good

Hopped in tonight before supper and was able to swim the workout with Matt, a good swimmer that makes it to practice with us every now and again. Always good to have some to push you and vice versa, especially on those 250 descends, which were a good kick in the pants. I suggested cutting the 75's down to 4 in order to do some 25 AFAP, but Matt opted to finish out the 75's.

Tomorrow morning the family will be getting to a sunrise service and the brunch they have before the regular service, which we will have to miss in order to bring Emma back to the train station. Tomorrow night I will be helping out my friend (who recently became a pastor) as he leads his first Church service. The Northeast is typically not "very religious," but my son's school has helped to start three churches in the past five or six years get established before launching out into their own building. Really neat to see God working in our community in this way, and I am blessed to be able to take part in it.
    RT*@menofintegrity1*The miracle of Saturday ...*bit.ly/10t8Erk

Updated March 30th, 2013 at 10:52 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Back at the beach

Today I went out to Brighton for my first CIBBOWS swim of the season. The water has been slow to warm up this year—it was just 39-40 today. (Last year we had gotten up to 50 by this time.) My “swim” was more like a brief dip, but then I spent a couple of hours out on the beach enjoying the beautiful sunny day. I counted 16 of us out swimming today, for durations ranging from half a minute to half an hour. It was a nice way to begin the season. Looking forward to some longer swims as the water begins warming up and I begin to reacclimate to swimming in colder temps.

Updated March 30th, 2013 at 07:08 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sat. March 30 - Good Saturday Workout

After driving to Charleston, SC last Friday night, I cam e down with a nasty head cold. So, my thoughts of swimming with the Charleston Masters group went by the wayside as I just needed to rest. Came home on Thursday and thought about swimming on Friday, but ended up planting a garden, etc. Today I was a little more determined to swim, so after mowing the yard, finishing the laundry, etc. I made it to the pool around 2:00. I could feel the effects of being out of the water for a week. Had a pretty good workout, but my arms and shoulders are sore. At least Monday morning will be easier now!

3x200 Free on 3:00 (2:47's)
    6x100 Back on 1:45 (<1:30)
    3x100 Kick
    5x100 Free on 1:30
    5x100 Back w/paddles on 1:35
    6x100 w/paddles - Odds - Free on 1:30; Evens - Back on 1:40
    200 Kick
    3x200 Back w/paddles on 3:30 (3:00's)
    100 Kick
    5x50 Free on :50
    5x50 Back on :50

4500 yards
    90 minutes

Updated March 30th, 2013 at 06:12 PM by David W Cochran

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 4K Saturday

by , March 30th, 2013 at 04:36 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Today's workout was a big lactic acid build-up. My lats and arms were toast by the end of the last set:

WARM-UP:
    400 EZ swim (build to threshold pace) on 7:00
    4 x 100 fr on 2:00 (1:24-1:26)
    200 IM on 4:00 (3:30)

MAIN:
    8 x 100 fr on 1:40 (1:30-1:31)
    200 IM on 5:00 (3:40)
    4 x 200 fr on 3:20 (3:08-3:12)
    200 IM on 5:00 (3:40)
    4 x 200 fr on 3:20 (3:11-3:15)
    200 IM in 3:34
    Masters minute

COOL-DOWN:
    400 EZ swim

4400 SCY/<90 minutes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 3|29|13

SCM

1950M

WARMUP/DRILLS

1500 WFS/WF

HYPOXIC/SPEED

50 free no breather WF, 0:33
    • moderate effort
    • mild sprint out but had to hussle back for air

2 x 25 @ 0:30 UW FK WF
    • 14s

7 x 50 @ 1:30 free WF
    • 25m AFAP/25m shake off
    • 12s and few 13's for AFAP

Tried a new promising drill: A OAD with dormant arm back where you breathe to the respective stroking arms side at recovery, then breathe to opposing side during and after its insweep. Requires a slow but propulsive stroke (4 to 5 per length with fins).

Goal for the 25 AFAP's were 12 seconds. Wanted uninflated 12's so I wanted to see 9's (either XX:59 or XX:29) on the watch before pushing off, then 2's (XX:12, XX:42) after I touch. Had to touch and view watch under surface which added a second of hypoxic pain after each one. Tried to hold form on shake back to starting wall.

No physical ailments and had an overall worhtwhile feeling afterwards. I judge a workouts net worth by the intensity of suffering endured. This one had about 40 - 50 seconds near my breaking point which is enough for me
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. A quick one today

by , March 30th, 2013 at 12:10 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Warm water and a quick one.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    5x200@3:00 free w/paddles & bouy went 2:46,2:46,2:43,2:41,2:39
    500 various drills w/snorkel

Total 2500 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 03/29/13:

by , March 29th, 2013 at 11:20 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

10 x 200 on :10sr with snorkel
    - kick/kick/kick/kick
    - kick/kick/kick/Agility Paddles
    - kick/kick/Agility/Ag
    - kick/Ag/Ag/Pull with buoy
    - Ag/Ag/Pull/Pull
    - Ag/Pull/Pull/kick
    - Pull/Pull/kick/kick
    - Pull/kick/Ag/Ag
    - 100 Back easy, 200 FR fast (1:06, 1:04 = 2:10), 100 Bk easy

4 x 50's on :50
    - 1 = EZ, 2-5 = Burst and Cruise (stroke choice)

200 loosen (Dolphin Dives in Deep)
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/55 min)
    ----------------------------

Good workout this evening after a busy day around the house. The bonus was being able to sleep in for the first time all month, which I really needed. Went to a Good Friday service tonight, then we colored Easter Eggs in preparation for a hunt at our house tomorrow with our siblings and nieces and nephews.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good-friday-cartoon-bc.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	7348
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, March 29

by , March 29th, 2013 at 09:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Short swim @ wall less hotel pool:

600 EZ
    200 scull
    10 x 50 w/agility paddles
    -- 5 free, 5 evil
    50 EZ
    6 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 w/chute & paddles
    50 EZ

---------------------------------------

Swim fail! I drove out to the LCM pool in Bridgeport, chauffeured by our family friend who wanted to run on the nearby track. But the pool was closed for a water polo match later that night. Typical of Barbadian think, they thought it was easier to not even bother opening the pool. I was pretty disappointed by this as I think it made a planned sideways week into a backward week. My 100s are doomed to subpar status. Ah well, the vacation has been fabulous and well worth it. One harrowing thing today though. We literally saw a man drown right in front of our eyes on our beach. The surf wasn't as rough as usual, but he seemed to get caught in a rip current. The lifeguard got out to him when he heard the cry for help, but he couldn't be resuscitated when they finally got to shore. Scary to witness. The girls decided the pools were a better option the rest of the day.

I was pretty sore today from the drylands (some of which I hadnt done in ages) and the wave bashing. But I should be able to rock and roll on Sunday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Good Friday...

by , March 29th, 2013 at 05:58 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint:
    my heart is like wax, it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
    My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws"
    --Psalm 22: 14-15.

I am beginning to understand my humanity at its most lived, at its most deeply felt, is to be found in the midst of suffering... or, perhaps, it is at such moments that I feel like I can touch something beyond my material humanity... maybe this keeps me driving myself, even when I'm hanging onto the wall gasping for breath after every rep... I could stop at any moment, end the suffering, but I hurl myself into another rep when the pace-clock tells me it must be so. Why? What am I paying for? Why do I feel like I HAVE to endure? I want to be a better swimmer of course, but there are days when there has to be something more than just that... this pouring out, using myself up, melting myself down... I think we all sense that need to find the depths of the abyss, in order to rise again. Today I beat the human out to inhabit my inner worm; but the worm will weave its cocoon and emerge with wings. So this is my Good Friday meditation, I don't know that it would have even occurred to me had I not poured myself out in today's workout.

I did the weights again today (same as Wednesday, but did 2 sets of each exercise), this time before my swim. The swim was tough as a result:

WARM-UP:
    1200 (alternated free and pull 200s; build from EZ to moderate)

MAIN:
    4 x 100 fly on 3:00 (1:48-1:56)
    100 IM (1:45) on 3:00
    4 x 100 bk on 2:15 (1:47-1:50)
    100 IM (1:45) on 2:15
    4 x 100 br on 2:30 (1:48-1:52)
    100 IM (1:46) on 2:30
    4 x 100 fr on 2:00 (1:19-1:23)
    100 IM (1:47)

COOL-DOWN:
    200 EZ fr (~3:30)
    200 Pull (~3:30)
    4 x 50 fr (catch-up; slide-n-glide drills) on 1:00

3800 SCY/80 minutes

My slower times today, despite the perceived difficulty, were a humble reminder of how far I have to go.

Yesterday was an easy day, though the kick work has left my legs pretty sore... essentially 3 tough days in a row on the legs w/ weights and swimming. Here's what I did yesterday in the short time I had (2000 SCY/40 minutes):

400 EZ swim, 7:00
    200 spear drill w/ fins
    4 x 50 spear drill w/ fins, harder on 1:00
    4 x 50 pull on 1:00
    5 x 100 on 2:00 (1:27-1:31)
    4 x 25 front dolphins on :45
    4 x 25 back dolphins and flutter on :45
    200 breast kick w/ board
    100 EZ swim

The 700 or so of pull and free work in the middle was to reinforce proper hip rotation and focus on kick timing (which I'm now obsessing about, so we'll see where that leads).
    ---
    Spring is the sweeter after a long winter. Today we are reminded that triumph requires suffering; and what little suffering we endure is so small in comparison to the suffering of others who have gone before us, gracing us with their sacrifices. Blessings on this solemn day! Peace.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -04/01/2013

by , March 29th, 2013 at 04:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Taper Workout #8
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 X 150 2:30
    8 X 50 1:00
    50's: 1-4: long and smooth--5-8: descend to fast

1 X 400 choice with fins

3 X 100 kick 2:15
    1 X 100 swim

4 x 50 1:15 choice
    Descend 1-4, #4 @ 100%

6 X 25
    odd: build to race finish
    even: blocks-sprint 20 yards

4 X 50 @ 85/90% 1:15
    4 X 50 easy/perfect stroke 1:00--#4 on 2:00
    Two rounds, choice.
    IM'ers: 2 back/2 breast no fly

2950Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday, March 29, 2013

by , March 29th, 2013 at 04:01 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    LCM@FGCU Aquatic Center
    Air temp 58, Water temp 80
    Sunny, humidity at 67%

Warm Up
    Dryland band stretches 10 min
    200 FR
    600 FR w/snorkel-fins-paddles(M-Speedo) as 6(50K-scull/50CU)
    4x100 on 1:40 w/fins-paddles, *1:11, 1:10, 1:09, 1:08

*Set 1*
    2(10x50 FR on 1:00) 1:00 rest
    *34s-33s-32s each round
    ---200 BK
    ---200 FR

*Set 2*
    10x100s FR on 2:00 w/agility paddles-snorkel
    *1:12, 1:11, 1:12, 1:11, 1:10, 1:12, 1:12, 1:11, 1:09, 1:08
    ---200 BK
    ---200 Fly as 2(25DK/bk,25RA,25LA,25DPS)

*Set 3*
    6x150 FR on 2:30 w/fins
    *1:49, 1:48, 1:52, 1:46, 1:42, 1:41
    ---200 FL Kick
    ---200 FR drills

*Set 4*
    5x200 FR on 3:30
    *2:36, 2:35, 2:34, 2:32, 2:28
    ---200 as 2(50BK DPS/50FR DPS)

*Set 5*
    1000 FR w/buoy-tube-agility paddles, build by 50 each 200

Warm Down
    400 FR/BR/BK/Fly EZ
    Dryland band stretches 10 min
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. 03.29.13 - sometimes you just have a bad workout

by , March 29th, 2013 at 10:08 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave. This just wasn't a great day for me. Probably started last night when I chose to run my son's U8 soccer practice barefoot. I just don't have much agility with flip-flops on so I took them off to demonstrate some things. The grass on the field is pretty nice but it is short and the occasional bermuda roots shredded my callouses. About 2:00 AM, I woke up feeling like I had eaten rocks for dinner. Took some antacid and went back to bed. I limped into the pool with my stomach churning only to find that they cranked the heat back up to 87. I don't know much about pool management so the following rant may be completely off base. Still, here are the pool temperatures over the last 5 days: Mon AM - 86, Tue AM - 86, Wed AM - 88, Wed PM - 85, Thur AM - 85, Fri AM - 87. The story the pool management is giving is that they are having trouble with controlling the temperature after installing a new coupling. They don't have a digital thermostat so this is somewhat understandable. But it seems to me that if the goal temperature is 84, we should see fluctuation between 82 and 86 until they dial the heat in correctly.

We swam mostly 200s today. That was probably a mistake. Should have dug up one of Fortress' sprint workouts. The kick wasn't bad but freestyle was miserable. I just couldn't bleed off any heat with my head mostly submerged in the water.

SCY

600 Warm up

4 x 200 - 3:00 Convert Free -> IM
    Rest

50 Kick/150 Free - 3:00
    100 Kick/100 Free - 3:10
    150 Kick/50 Free - 3:20
    200 Kick - 3:30
    4 x 200 - 3:00 Kick 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 50
    100 Easy

4 x 200 Kick - 3:30 Descend (br - 3:15, 3:10, 3:05, 2:57)

200 Cool down

We were supposed to do a 500 timed pull. It's kind of rare that Dave and I will decline the opportunity to go at each other with pull buoys and paddles but neither of us were feeling it today.

(4100 Total)

Updated March 29th, 2013 at 10:29 AM by pmccoy

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Friday, March 29, 2013

by , March 29th, 2013 at 09:37 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    OMG my triceps are sore!! Water was hot hot hot, and I got a lovely chemical burn from my dermatologist yesterday (PTD - blue light therapy for actinic keratosis) so my face is on FIRE! Won't swim this weekend because now I have to avoid the sun for 72 hours, and the pool won't open until 7:30 on Saturday. Oh well, guess I'll go do extra weights & spinning class.

400-400-200

100 easy
    3 x 400 steady state
    4 x 100 K @ 2:30
    100 easy
    8 x 4-cycle speed play @ :30
    100 easy
    700 various stroke/free
    Total: 3500 LCM

Updated April 2nd, 2013 at 01:40 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Working off yesterdays lunch and tonights cake

by , March 29th, 2013 at 08:36 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    As in the title I was working off my lunch from yesterday and all the chocolate we enjoyed. Who knew adults would enjoy an old fashion easter egg hunt.

This is going to be one hard weekend to keep to my diet. My sons birthday party is tomorrow, the easter dinner yesterday and I am sure a lot more good food.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers

5x400@7:00 free w/strapless paddles, bouy & snorkle dropped snorkle on last one. Descended this set went 6:38, 6:34, 6:33, 6:24, 6:11

400 IM as fly drill, pull back, kick breast, swim free
    100 free EZ

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Update pre-bunny day

by , March 29th, 2013 at 12:52 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    It's one week away!

South Central Zones. A name of interest in the roster. Guess who it is. Besides yours truly, heh heh....

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/c...2023&smid=4344

The default search is ok, but I don't know how useful it really is to see who's on your team that is going. I'd rather be able to see who's in my age group.

I can't say I have any thrilling breakthru sets or any amazing 50 free times. I did one from the blocks that may have been 28ish but since i'm not sure i'll safely say a solid 29 from the blocks diving over my lanemates' heads which was quite pointless as it was so incredibly distracting. And dangerous.

This week i've been extremely tired. So tired that I have decided to hit the brakes and literally just do bobs and light 50's and 25's up to about 1/2 hour. There is no point in grinding through sets this last week.

I'm really excited for the 500. I am still leaning on no counter, but perhaps telling some people to watch me and yell at the end if I am a 50 short. I think I should bring more substantial snacks, just in case I am actually really hungry. I wonder if it would look strange if I took out a chicken leg and started eating it on the pool deck. That would be more discrete than say, one of those Fair-sized turkey legs. Maybe roll up some ham and cheese cubes, or a sandwich of some sort. I just have this strange feeling that a power bar isn't going to cut it.

I will be so excited to travel for a meet I haven't gone away for a meet since last year's Colonies Zone meet, which was great fun. I would like to do that meet in the future, but it was too close to this meet and Austin is hard to pass up.

Hope everyone is doing well, and good luck if you are swimming your zone meet the next week as well!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Week 25 - Thursday

by , March 28th, 2013 at 10:17 PM (After a long rest)
    The pool is closed from tomorrow for Easter so I decided to do a full workout tonight as opposed to dry land and loosen up swim. I had a stomach bug yesterday and missed last nights swim so was not expecting too much, but I actually felt pretty good tonight. My shoulder is feeling a lot better.

Warm up
    400 swim with snorkel
    6x 50 catchup drill on 45
    4x100 with snorkel on 1.20
    100 easy

Main set
    This set was done with buoy and paddles
    5x100 on 1.20
    4x 100 on 1.15
    3x100 on 1.10
    2x100 on 1.05
    1x100 on 1 min

100 easy

12x50 swum as 3x(50 easy, 25fast25 easy, 25 easy 25 fast, 50 easy)

6x100 kick with fins on 1.30 holding 1 min

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 4200

I decided to concentrate on DPS in the warm up and not trying to go to hard to quickly, which seemed to really help. My right shoulder still feels weak, with some stiffness but luckily I had no pain tonight. Hopefully a long weekend will help these old joints too. Two more weeks of hard work and then i start my first taper in 20+ years. Next week I am off work and plan on doing some hard focused sessions in the form of a mini camp(I may get to do 3 a days if the body will hold up).

Updated March 28th, 2013 at 10:24 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast