View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Why do I do this to myself?

by , March 17th, 2013 at 08:12 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Today was supposed to be an easier day, a little lighter on the yardage and intensity after yesterday's stroke and sprint ladders. I told myself I'd see how I felt at 2000 after doing 1200 warm-up and then 800 in kick or drill on fly, bk, br. I felt like I could use some more kick work when I got to 2000, so I took it to 2600 and then did some more freestyle work for a cool-down to make it an even 3000. I was leaving when Scotty, who had bonked pretty hard in the middle of the backstroke ladder yesterday and didn't complete the workout, said he was going to do 400 IM off the blocks to make up for what he missed yesterday... hmmm, I thought, tempting! I couldn't resist. I ended up with 3800 on the day. Here's the whole workout:

1200 warm-up: fr/pull alt. by 200; on 24:00*
    200 fly kick with fins
    200 bk kick w/ fins
    200 br w/ board
    200 br
    200 bk kick w/ fins
    4 x 50 dolphins w/ fins
    200 br (100 kick w/ board; 100 full-stroke)
    4 x 50 free on 1:00
    200 EZ (100 pull/100 fr)
    ---
    400 IM off the blocks (7:15)**
    200 IM off the blocks (3:19)***
    200 cool-down (not nearly enough!)

*Normally I would finish this 1200 warm-up in a little over 20:00, today it was 22:00 and felt stiff.
    **A lot slower than yesterday, but I'm also a lot stiffer and more tired today than I was yesterday.
    ***Why?! Because I could. My fly was horrible, but I darn near caught Scotty on the backstroke leg... had nothing for the breast, though, so I couldn't get close to the PR I set 14 days ago... and why was I thinking about PRs the day after a hard workout, at the end of what was supposed to be a recovery swim practice? It's some pavlovian response to competition I guess.

I really needed about 400-500 of recovery swimming after the IMs to cool down, but also had to get some work done this afternoon and I hadn't expected to put in the extra 20 minutes after I'd already "finished" my original workout. I have a feeling today's workout is going to hurt tomorrow... so taper will begin!

I'm going to sign-up for the State meet... we can do it on-line, so I had a couple of extra days. I'm just going to do the 400 IM (1st event on Sunday), 100 back, and 1650 (last event Sunday); I can only do the Sunday events, so it limits my choices. I like the endurance stuff so the 400 IM and 1650 seem like natural choices and my back stroke has improved a lot this winter... I'm going to be relaxed, but would really like to see if I can PR since the Madison meet was beginning of February... where I last did a 100 back in meet context. I originally planned to sign up for the 100 fly too, but I fear that's too much hard fly on a day when I'm also trying to PR in back and distance free.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Week 23 - Sunday

by , March 17th, 2013 at 03:45 PM (After a long rest)
    I went and watched my old team swim there regional championships(surrey county champs) this morning which was really fun. They did great and I received a very warm welcome. This afternoon I jumped in on the 2hr workout in the teams 25m pool. Ironically I never swam in this pool because I left for the us as it was being built. It's a nice pool and once again I was made very welcome.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    2x200 back
    3x100 IM
    100 easy

Main set
    4x50 fly on 1 min
    3x100 ba5ck on 2 mins
    2x200 breast on 4 mins
    1x400 free on 6 mins
    1x400 free on 6 mins
    2x200 breast on 4 mins
    3x100 back on 2 mins
    4x50 fly on 60
    200 easy

Second set
    12x50 fast on 60
    200 easy
    8x25 from blocks, 2 fly,back,breast free AFAP

Warm down
    300 easy

Total 5300 meters

This was a tough workout, but I stuck with it and I was pleased with how I did. On the 400s I went 4.50s which was great. The fast 50s I was holding 31s.

Updated March 18th, 2013 at 02:42 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 16

by , March 17th, 2013 at 11:10 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Jimby, Teen Fort and I journeyed to MD for the annual Albatross SCM meet yesterday. This is my 7th year in a row competing in this meet, and I still love it. I swam better than expected on what is very short rest for me. I just lifted last Saturday.

50 back, 30.65

I debuted my new start and felt like I had a fantastic one --- the best part of the race. Had a solid turn and took 16-17 kicks on the second 25. I was told I was perilously close to the 15 m mark. But then my body completely shut down the last 10 meters and I staggered to the wall. It was a close race with the speedy Susan Williams who almost tracked me down at the finish. I surely would have been under my WR of 30.58 with a better last 10 meters. I was a little freaked out by the fade; that has never happened to me before in a 50 back. At first I thought it was just the lack of sprint conditioning from the prolonged Feb. malaise. But I also wonder if the lack of hypoxic training and double shooters played a role. I was UW the full 30 meters and maybe that took a toll. That's what Teen Fort thought. In any event, I was obviously very very pleased with the time.

50 breast, 37.5? DQ

I was not recovered for this event with only 30 minutes rest after the 50 back. But I had to give Teen Fort the pleasure of whooping her mommy. I did beat her to the 15 m mark on the start, which was all I was going for. :-) I had major glides at the turn and finish, probably should have short stroked them. I was DQ'd for a one handed touch on the turn. I thought I got my finger tips on the wall before pulling back my left arm to turn, but the official thought otherwise. No big deal. It was a very solid time for me with those glides, but I'll hopefully swim it again before the end of the year.

50 fly, 29.25, WR:

I had almost two hours of rest before my 50 fly, which I was very happy about. The final heat of the 50 fly was the fastest I've ever participated in with Erika Braun, Ruth Jones, Susan Williams and Margaret Conze. As Margaret said before the race, it was going to be "a scramble to the finish." We were all under :30. I had a great start. The race went technically well except that I took a breath at the flags with 2 strokes to go. I'm sure I didn't really need that breath, but maybe it helped me spot the wall. The only thing I did differently from the last time I swam this race (tapered 29.5 at this meet last year) was that I spent more time UW on the second 25 with an extra 3-4 kicks. Jim said the whole race looked strong, especially my second 25. My time didn't show up on the electronic timing board and, even thought the timers had me at 29.2, I didn't get excited About the WR until I saw the official time sheet. 41 year old Erika Braun also set a world record in my heat with a 28.1. She was on fire at this meet with a WR in the 50 free as well. Take home lesson for me: it's worth concentrating on more dolphin kicks off the turn on the 50 fly and 50 free.

50 free, NS

This was about 25 minutes after the 50 fly. I passed. No desire to do another race and was all tuckered out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a super well run and fun meet as usual. Jimby swam very well despite being "gravely ill." (He actually really is a bit sick this time.) Teen Fort swam well. It was great to see all my PV buddies. I plan on going to Mason for a recovery swim later today.

Updated March 17th, 2013 at 11:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events