View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 3|2|14 SCM 30+ min

WARMUP
    500 fr, S
    • 8:40's

MAIN
    4 x 50 fr on 1:30 (as 25m 95% E sprint / 25m easy)
    500 fr, S (as 25m 95% E sprint / 475m recovery)
    • 8:32

550 fr, S (as 25m 95% E sprint / 525m recovery)
    • 9:04

Sprints felt easy, smooth, and fluid. Didn't notice any errors at speed either.

Lifted weights during my lunch -
    Warmed up, then did 3 sets of:
    • incline DB BP (50's)
    • DB rows (30's)
    • DB curl to shoulder press at slow motion (30's)
    • step-ups on bench lunges holding DB's (35's)
    • wrist curls
    • upright DB rows (10's)

Need to force myself to always go super light doing any lat exercises (e.g., pulldowns, rows) because my right lateral deltoid muscle has been messed up for almost 2 years - totally weaker than the left. I never really allowed it heal as I seem to train it like I'm 20. If it's not too late, maybe I can gradually rejuvinate if I go easy.

Updated March 3rd, 2014 at 01:13 AM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Meet results... PRs in 400 IM, 200 IM

by , March 2nd, 2014 at 05:33 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    A goodly contingent from Kenosha YMCA made the trip up to Whitefish Bay this morning for a meet. Scotty, Scott, Ryan and I were planning to do the 200 medley relay; and Jen surprised us by showing up to her first meet since high school. Everyone swam well and we had a great time. The group is growing little by little and it's been loads of fun getting to know folks and their families, and to root each other on.

It's been about two weeks since I've written here and a lot has happened in that time... unfortunately for my training not a lot in the pool for me. I've been set back by those illnesses and then schedules, meetings, conferences have all conspired to keep me out of the pool except sporadically in the last month... so I'm going to call it a taper!

I am really pleased with my swims today. I started with the 400 IM, which I haven't done in an SCY meet since last season, so I had no idea what my time was going to be. I crushed my previous meet PR by 12 seconds, coming in at 6:37. I'm in much worse conditioning than I was when I swam it at the state meet last March, but obviously my technique has gotten a lot better... especially in fly and back.

I toyed with doing the 200 fly, but noticed when I was registering that it would be right before the 200 medley relay; and since I was doing the backstroke leg I didn't think this would be a good idea... wouldn't even be able to get out of the pool and would be heading right into the backstroke blocks after totally expending myself on 200 fly. I saved my energy for the back leg of the relay and broke 40 secs (at 39.xx I was pretty close to my 50 back time from the Evanston meet). Scotty followed with a 34.xx breast leg, Scott swam 27.7 fly and got us within striking distance. Ryan then brought us home with the victory and a scorching freestyle leg. I had apologized in advance for making them all swim from behind! But of course nobody minded, we were just happy to have a team on the blocks and it was just a bonus that we won the only heat of that relay!

Next up for me was the 200 IM, and I had put a 3:20 seed time down, seriously not knowing what to expect or if I would even have the energy (my endurance has fallen off a lot), but again all the work on technique came through for me. Mike from Libertyville, who I did some of the pirate lake swimming with last summer, asked me what I was thinking with the seed time, and I said... "yeah, I'm just trying to be conservative because I haven't done the 2IM since last season in a meet setting." I felt pretty good about my fly leg (I think I counted 4-5 strokes to the first wall) and my back felt smoother than it had since Evanston, by the time I hit the breaststroke leg, though, my legs were screaming for mercy. I pushed as hard as I could on the freestyle leg and turned to see 3:07, my fastest SCY 200 IM by 6 seconds. Can't wait to see the splits on that one.

I finished out the meet with 200 breast a couple of events later. My goal was just to hold form for the full 200, not dq. I swam 3:35 and felt pretty relaxed the whole time. It's interesting how my legs never feel as fatigued during a 200 yard race of any type as they do in the breast leg of the 2 and 4 IMs. I expected my legs to be killing me throughout this 200 breast, but they really never did.

Anyway, as a team we probably had 20-22 individual splashes on top of the relay, so we were busy cheering for each other the whole meet, which kept things hopping. Meet ran smoothly too.

Can't say how much I'm going to miss the WMAC when we move this summer... oh, yeah, forgot to mention I was offered the job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago. It's a great community here, and I am sad to have to leave it, my swim partners have become really good friends over the last couple of years... among the best I've made in Wisconsin in my 14 years here... but the new job is an incredible opportunity too. A lot of mixed feelings. I'll write more on the details over the next couple of weeks.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 03/01/14: Glens Falls Masters Meet

by , March 2nd, 2014 at 12:14 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Plans for easy swimming on Wednesday or Friday morning didn't happen. I did go snowbaording yesterday - had a lot of fun with temps in the teens and lots of sunshine. Lina from Germany made it down from the top of the moutain twice! It was her first year boarding and we celebrated with a stop to the Waffle Cabin

I met with the Masters crew this morning, getting in this easy swim:
    - 200 Fr/200 IM drill/200 Bk
    - 4 x 50 kick
    - 8 x 25 drill
    - 5 x 50 on 1:15 (odds= EZ, evens = fast)
    - 200 w/d
    (Masters/Rec/1450 yards/40 min)
    ----------------------------------

GregJS got out and we met at my house with my wife and headed to Glens Falls, NY, for their Masters meet today at the high school pool. This was actually my first pool meet in NY, as I tend to be working on the weekend of the meets over there, and we met with Steve and some of the Pittsfiled, MA, swimmers, as well as getting to know our ADMS peers during the meet.. The drive is about 75 minutes from home, so we got in some warmup there (I did 1100 yards, including some sprints from the blocks).

The meet was run mixed and last just over two hours from the 2pm start. I picked my events with the plan to get a little rest and easy swimming in and it worked well, altough I knew that after my first event (2bk) coupled with boarding yeasterday my legs would be fried, so I picked two 50's and a 100 to cap the meet. I'll update with official results later, but I posted some really great swims that I am excited about:
    -200 Bk = 2:10.9
    - 50 fly = 26.9
    - 50 free = 24.6
    - 100 free = 52.9

(Got in another 700 yards between warm up and cool down)

I love these mini meets because you can watch as some folks are hitting the blocks in their first meet, and others are getting close to PB's as they cruise through the water. Steve, a former coach for the Maruarders in town, did the 500 for this first time in 40+ years, clocking a well executed time under 9 minutes. I was beat in the 50 fly by Patrick, and got to watch Greg swim his first 200 breast, even splitting it with a 2:44. While Dan from Pittsfield was out due to illness, Steve was there to help lead a group. I also talked with Denny, who finished right in front of me at Betsy Owens 2mile cable swim in August.

The water was clear and cool for a meet that was very well run. I highly recommend this event if you are able to attend in the future, and hopefully my work schedule will allow me to make it again next year. Greg had great swims and my wife was able to put a dent (15 chapters) into a book she is reading (it would take me a month to read that much!). We stopped for a bite to eat on the way home, a super day!