View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Weekend swims

I had a wonderful swim at Brighton Beach yesterday. It was a beautiful beach day, sunny and still with air temps in the 60s. The water is still in the mid-40s, though, so no crowds cavorting in the surf—just a few of us CIBBOWS swimmers out for a dip. This week I swam a tad over a half mile, and shivered pleasantly afterwards on the beach. The water felt good, tingly but not painful. I always enjoy swimming with a greater sense of purpose in the cold—there’s no temptation to lollygag. I hope the weather is as cooperative next weekend so that I can get in some more cold water swimming before the CT race.

Today I swam at Riverbank, but cut the workout short as I was feeling very fatigued, and trying to go fast just wasn’t feeling good. I again attempted a vintage HVT workout—here’s how far I got:

800 lcm warmup (400s, 200 IM k, 100 p, 100 IM)
    8 x 50 @ 1:15, 2 each stroke, odds k/s, evens d/s
    3 x 150 IM (no free) @ 3:00
    50 easy

4x through
    200 long-axis IM (25fl/75bk/25br/75fr) @ 3:50
    4 x 50 @ 1:20, done as 3 ST (IM order by round) desc., 1 easy FR
    300 warmdown

It was probably good I stopped when I did—I took a long hard nap after I got home, and have felt achy and feverish ever since. I’m hoping in that magical thinking kind of way that everything will feel better when I wake up in the morning … we’ll see.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 04|13|14 SCM and dryland stuff

Started to swim yesterday but after a few lengths my body just was not up to it, and neither was my enthusiasm. Felt cruddy and the shoulders felt weak and tired. Left the pool.

On the other hand I did a little running which consisted of 15 minutes of sprinting up to speed thenback off to a walk (10 seconds run 20 seconds walk). I also ran 1.58 miles on Friday. Just enjoying the weather before it is too hot and humid.

SCM
    15 x 25 DFS free on 2:00
    • work the entry and breakout
    • easy on first several then moderate sprint for the rest of them

15 x 15M DFS free on 1:00
    • streamlined entry

Weights afterwards
    • snatches
    • single arm dumbell bench
    • single arm rack rows

need to stop doing snatches - too dangerous (left shoulder a little twingy and lower back close to spasming out)
    Categories
    Uncategorized