View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sprinting Savagely, Friday, May 29

by , May 29th, 2009 at 05:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/Core:

Before I left for the gym, Mr. Fort showed me some of the exercises he's doing with his trainer to help rehab/strengthen his hip(s). I tried a few out today, including a couple involving lateral plyo-type movements. Probably about time for me to start adding a plyo component to my drylands anyway. Unfortunately, I was a bit too preoccupied with them, and left most of the lifting until the end. That wasn't too bright. (I had the mental image of Q saying "large muscles first."). Tried to bench press at the end, but I was just too tired.

seated narrow grip row, 90 x 1 x 5, 100 x 1 x 5, 110 x 2 x 10
    back squats w/45 lb bar, 3 x 15
    dead lift, 135 x 1 x 5, 135 x 1 x 4
    (This was too heavy, a "failure." I'll have to go back to a lighter weight. I was just too lazy to take off the 2 45 lb weights and re-do the weight amount. We don't have micro-weights at my gym, so any increase is always a 10 pound minimum.)
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 45 x 2 x 15, each side
    back extensions w/25 lb weight, 4 x 15
    recline hip abductors, 110 x 2 x 10
    (I think I'm going to stop doing these. For some reason, this particular exercise seems to bother my left hip. I hadn't done it for months then did it the other day and now I notice a twinge.)
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
    arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15
    elevated crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    hip hinges w/12 lb DBs, 1 x 15 on left leg

3 rounds of:

1. plyo type hop:

Round 1: Modified bench hops for 1:00. They're done with your hands in the middle of the bench with your body at one side. You "hop" over the bench with both legs, hopping back and forth from side to side over the bench. If you go fast, it's not easy. (Mr. Fort did this exercise for 2:00 with his trainer and can hold the plank far longer than me. Very embarrassing ...)

Round 2: Same as in round one, only you hop on one leg. So go from your right leg to your left leg back and forth over the bench.

Round 3: Hands held out to sides. 1 forward lunge with left leg, 1 forward lunge with right leg + broad jump. Repeat 20 x.

2. Planks for 1:00, one regular, one on right side, one on left side

Tip to make planks harder: If you're really good at these (Tim, Chris), you can put your forearm(s) on a foam roller. This recruits the core stabilization muscles even more, and is particularly hard on a side plank.

3. leg or hip stretch

4. 1 x 25 push ups

10 minutes of stretching

Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Stole and modified Patrick's workout from yesterday. He described it as "yoga swimming," but I did it as a kick ass sprint workout. And it kicked my ass.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set:

16 x 25 UW shooters w/MF (4 belly, 4 left side, 4 right side, 4 back)
    4 x 100 dolphin kick @ 2:00
    #1: easy speed
    #2 & 4: 2nd & 4th 25 fast
    #3 & 5: 1st & 3rd 25 fast
    2 x 100 easy free w/snorkel
    4 x (50 back w/fins AFAP + 50 EZ @ 2:30)
    (went 26 (cramp), 25, 25.5, 25)
    50 EZ

10 x 25
    odds free @ 90%, evens EZ
    3 x 100 IM, easy speed @ 1:50
    1 x 100 easy free w/snorkel
    2 x (50 back w/fins AFAP + 50 EZ @ 3:00)
    (went 25s)
    50 EZ

4 x 25 UW back shooter
    2 x 100 BR w/MF, last 25 AFAP
    1 x 100 easy free w/snorkel
    1 x (50 back AFAP + 50 EZ) (went 25)

100 C/D

Total: 3650

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ack! I hadn't used my snorkel in a long while. I'm back to absolute beginner status. It was really quite unpleasant to use.
    These 50 backs are my fastest ever in practice. I think the fastest I've ever gone is 25.5 during a taper. So it's encouraging that I was regularly hitting 25 here after weights and a hard double yesterday. I'm usually more around the 26.5-27 range. I should probably put lactate sets as a "local" blog category so I can keep track of them better.

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal with 1/2 apple, blueberries
    Post Weights Snack: balance bar, 12 oz G2
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, salmon, peppers, tomatoes, sprouts, flax seeds, avocado; whole grain wheat crackers with hummus
    Post Swim Snack: yogurt, papaya, nuts
    Dinner plans: Veal chops, sauteed veggies, some kind of salad

I'm hoping my veggy garden does well this summer and is not overrun by rabbits or ground hogs or other pests. I can't believe my daughters think bunnies are cute!

Savageman!

It's done. I'm signed up for the half iron Savageman relay. This is a birthday present to Mr. Fort. http://www.savagemantri.org/ I'm planning to draft off Mulie who will still have to bike and run. I have no idea whatsoever how long it takes to swim 1.2 miles in a lake. Anyone? I'm just glad I don't have to do the murderous bike segment.

200 back:

I'm thinking that the 200 back I swim on June 14 will be it for the season. After reading one of Ande's latest tips, I think I will go for a 50 split in my 200 back at Nats. Otherwise, 50 back, my best event, is the last one of the meet after three days of swimming.

Updated May 30th, 2009 at 06:14 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Better eating

by , May 29th, 2009 at 03:47 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Ran 2 miles yesterday morning at a very easy pace.

Today, got up at 4:45 to swim. Not the norm for me, but lately the pool has been so crowded at lunch that it has been nearly impossible to get a lane. So, mindful of my better nutrition goal, I had 1/4 cup of raisins and 8 oz. of orange juice before I hit the pool. Did 3,000 yards of swimming - lots of intensity with the fins. On the end, did the following:

4 x 25 fly (no fins) AFAP on 1:00

50 easy

4 x 25 free (no fins) AFAP on 1:00

I really enjoy those all out power efforts.

After swimming, went home to get the little guy ready for his last day of school. Had two scrambled eggs (used soybean oil to cook), a slice of whole wheat toast (no butter), and 16 oz. of Gatorade.

For lunch, had a grillled chicken wrap with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Had a small piece of my birthday cake for dessert. Drank water with this meal.

I'm seeing that it is hard to eat every three hours. I had 5 hours between the after swim meal and lunch. Will need to add a mid-morning snack in there. Maybe around 10:30. Wonder what would work best?

Will either run later this afternoon or lift weights. May do both if I have time.

Saw another study I thought was interesting about negative energy balance. I added it to yesterday's entry, but will also add it here:

http://mdsports.wordpress.com/2007/1...l-disturbance/

Hope to stay on track today with my nutrition.

Update
    Right after I posted this entry, I ate a half-sandwhich with a slice of whole wheat bread and a pat of peanut butter. About 45 minutes later, I was still hungry, so had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a slice of cantaloupe.

Headed to the Y later this afternoon and helped coach my son's USA group (9-12 year olds). After the practice, hit the weight room for a quick workout:

Military press: 50 x 10
    Lat pull-down: 150 x 10
    Triceps press: 40 x 10
    Alternating hammer curls: 15 x 10

Push-ups: 1 set of 30
    Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50
    Stationary bike: Spin at 90-100 RPMS for 5 minutes
    Hip adduction: 150 x 10
    Hip abduction: 130 x 10
    Back extensions: 1 set of 25

Post workout snack: 1/8 cup raisins + 16 oz. Gatorade

Dinner: 1/2 chicken burrito with 1 T of sour cream + 1 T of guacamole
    Brown rice
    Refried beans

Had water to drink.

Being aware of what I ate today made me realize how HORRIBLY I've been eating. I don't even want to go into detail. I know how I ate today is far from perfect, but it is a big improvement from where I was before.

In comparing how I ate today to the plan I posted yesterday, I am obviously off from the plan. The bread servings seem out of reach. Also, I suspect that my fat percent may be a little higher than 25%.

Fruit intake was o.k., but obviously need more veggies. May have a V-8 or tomato juice as my later evening snack.

Enjoyed the discussion on the Fort blog. Learned some new things that I will try to incorporate into my meal plan.

Updated May 29th, 2009 at 08:28 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout - 5/30/09 - SCY

by , May 29th, 2009 at 02:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Saturday workout, we'll go a bit shorter and focus on speed.

SCY

WARM UP:
    3 X 200 3:30
    6 X 100 3 on 1:45
    3 on 1:30
    4 X 100 Kick 2:15

1 X 100 Free, 50 moderate/50 fast 1:50
    2 X 50 Free, Build to fast :50
    8 X 25 Free, sprint :30
    1 X 100 Stroke, 50 moderate/50 fast 2:00
    2 X 50 Stroke, Build to fast 1:00
    8 X 25 Stroke, sprint :30

200 easy
    200 fast
    100 easy
    100 fast
    50 easy
    50 fast
    All swims will be choice and on no interval.We will start each swim when everyone is ready.

8 X 50 1:15
    Fins optional.
    25 underwater/25 fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3700Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. A little faster stuff today

by , May 29th, 2009 at 01:16 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

300 swim free
    300 swim alt. 50 free/50 back
    200 IM drill
    200 pull free w/p&b

swim 8 x 50 w/10 sec. rest: build each 25 to about 80-85%
    (did 1-4 free, 5-8 back)
    50 easy

swim 8 x 75 on 2:00 (2x around of the following, round 1 free, round 2 no free on the fast stuff):
    (Did back on round 2)
    #1 sprint first 25
    #2 sprint middle 25
    #3 sprint last 25
    #4 sprint the whole thing
    (went :58 on free, 1:05 on back)
    (take an extra minute between #4 and #5)

100 easy choice drill

4x25 choice on 1:00 FAST
    (did fly all around :18-:19)

200 swim down

Total: 2400 meters

Weight training today, core and upper body.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Human, or at least my, limits reached?

by , May 29th, 2009 at 12:06 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Yesterday, my 23rd consecutive day of punishing physical exercise, almost, but not quite, marked the end of the streak.

It was a dispiritedly humid day of the late spring, early summer gloom variety, the likes of which seems to promote so much depression and weltshmerz in the psychiatrically frail types like myself. I spent the morning showing our recently vacated rental properties to a prospective tenant, came back to the house in a state of exhaustion that had seeped like the cadence of a Poe poem into the core of me.

I lay myself upon the couch, turned on the TV in the hopes of finding some cheerful news about healthcare reform ("In a surprise move, Republican obstructionists today pulled pistols from their attache cases and fired bullets en masse into their temples.") Soon I had moved into a very deep sleep of the sort celebrated by Heinrich Heine in Morphine:

Sleep is good: and Death is better, yet
    Surely never to have been born is best.
    --Aus Der Matratzengruft

With a name like Heine, he's gotta be good.
    D
    uring the course of this nap, which was indeed restorative--who knows how many obstructionists cheerfully immolated themselves in my happy dreams?--a storm front moved through our area. I was awakened by thunder and hail, realized that the likelihood of my tennis match being canceled two hours hence was exceedingly high, then immediately nodded off for more sleep and more promise of GOP slaughter and blood bathery.

I awoke again, so deep in sleep inertia I could barely move. I contemplated the rest of my day, for there was much remaining: it was, after all, only 4:20 p.m., a good eight hours before my bedtime. Perhaps, I thought, I could go to the Y and do some weight lifting to keep the exercise streak going.

Or I could hit the On Demand button on my Comcast remote control and watch 14 consecutive episodes of True Blood.

Then my tennis opponent called up and told me it hadn't rained at all where he lived, about 5 miles away. So I dragged my carcass down to the surprisingly dry high school courts--puddles at my house deep enough for sustaining koi or at the very least snakeheads--and played, remarkably well, for the next 2.5 hours, keeping the streak robustly alive.

Did He who made the Newt make thee?

I don't know why I played well, but it was altogether unexpected.

Is it possible John and I are actually identical triplets?

Anyhow, the streak as of now includes:

1. 3150 yards
    2. 500 & weights
    3. 3200
    4. weights
    5. tennis
    6. 4500
    7. weights
    8. 3800
    9. weights
    10. 5000
    11. weights
    12. tennis
    13. 5300
    14. tennis
    15. 4900
    16. weights
    17. 4500
    18. weights
    19. tennis
    20. 4600
    21. weights
    22. 4100
    23. tennis

I stayed up late last night, relishing my tennis triumph, slept late this morning, my throat raw with a sore throat that has materialized out of the night. Who knows what has brought this new round of sickness upon me? Perhaps in the sleep world, the self-imolated obstructionists all rose from the dead, their bullet wounds and copious amounts of blood still in place, but now plodding about hither and yon with a zombie-like determination to obstruct all hope for the solvency of the likes of me.

Could this have caused a sore throat?

I need to buy some kind of sleep firearms to take with me to the other side the next time I visit the land of nod. I need to protect myself there from the Omega Men that are out to get me.

Zombie Youth Spawn: the future of Republicanism?

Practice tonight at the University of Pittsburgh, perhaps with the pool set up for long course. Sickness: you will not keep me from my practice! You are nothing compared to the fiends I face in the other world.

Nothing!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Fri May 29th, 2009 fast friday, sort of whipped, 10k on Sat.

by , May 29th, 2009 at 11:19 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri May 29th, 2009

Plan to do the Postal 5k & 10k tomorrow Larry & Tyler at 6:30 am, haven't swum that far in years.
    What do you think?

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX
    Events Entered:
    04 400 Freestyle (2) 5:07.03 scy 500 fr
    10 050 Freestyle 24.50 LCM
    14 200 Freestyle 1:50.70 scy
    18 200 Backstroke 2:21.04 LCM
    20 100 Butterfly 51.80 scy
    28 200 Individual Medley 2:24.08 LCM
    38 050 Butterfly (3) 51.80 scy

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX
    USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Meet Entry Form
    Found out Aerosmith is playing with ZZ Top on
    Friday July 17th at the
    Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands
    Tickets

Weighed 219 today

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM & scy
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney Coached
    TSC main pool
    swam with mike, todd, tyler, amy, brandon, brad & larry

warm up LCM
    instruction: 10 minutes choice
    200 fr
    then did 50's on 50

Main LCM

5 x 100 fr desc on 3:00
    went 1:11, 1:09, 1:07, 1:05, 59

SCY Moved to diving well

200 easy

500 fr fast
    instruction was to hold final 100 pace
    went 5:18

200 easy

500 k fast (with fins but I didn't wear fins)
    was 2:24 at 200, got passed stopped on wall
    went 6:40 ish

5 x 100 desc on 3:00
    went 1:05, 4, 3, 1, 52

200 easy

assigned 500 fast
    did 100 easy speed, 50 rest, 100 easy speed, 50 rest, 200 easy speed

200 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. OW swim off the coast of Cozumel Isle,Mexico

The water is torquoise blue while beautiful, unusual fish swim twenty feet under me tempting a free dive down every so often. I slide and glide as I follow after their yellow and silver schools. Although the tourist season is slow due to no cruise ships as a result of the swine flu I must watchout for dive boats heading in and out to the protected coral reefs. I wave to a boat and the native driver acknowledges me and smiles back. Mostly I stay very close to the rocky shore where it is more than safe from boats. It is easy to keep my head down to watch creatures floating, soaring or asleep below me. I have a bad habit of keeping my head too high in the water. This is a great way to change that.
    The current is challenging as I swim south past my first goal, a stout white lighthouse on shore. Feeling good I scope out another destiny to reach. Just one more goal before heading home. I see a bouy in the distance and make that it. Its taking longer than expected as I go further into unknown territory . The water gets deeper and feels colder. My heart beats faster as I push onward against the current. I must do what I set out to do. The current is testing my will as well as my stamina. Stroke, kick, stroke, kick ...finally my index finger swipes the surface of the towering yellow bell shaped bouy. I then proceed to give it a good smack. My insides cheer hooray for me now lets get outta here. Heading home with the current going north I fly by the staypuff marshmellow man lighthouse with the current in my favor. The tempture is 77degrees. They say an octupus has a garden down there. I will have to look for him on my next trip to Cozumel.

Updated May 29th, 2009 at 09:56 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Friday 5/29 - Distance, Distance, Distance

by , May 29th, 2009 at 08:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My legs were hurting on my kick sets but then again that is always my week part of my swimming.

400, 300, 200, 100 @ :20 Rest Free

5x100 @ 2:00 Free kick w/fins
    5x100 no break w/fins #1,3,5-Free on side #2,4-Fly on back

4x400 @ 7:00 Free w/paddles and bouy Descend went 6:21, 6:14, 6:11, 5:56 this was a hard set for someone who only swims this in 5:54 in a race. Or should I say used to... I guess I need to see what my real time will be now.

400 Free EZ

total 4000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized