View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday, May 19

by , May 19th, 2013 at 06:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull w/agility paddles
    6 x 50 DPS free w/agility paddles @ 1:00
    6 x 50 kick w/board & fins @ 1:00
    100 EZ
    4 x 25 shooter + 25 EZ @ 1:15
    4 x 50 single arm fly
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 100 w/fins @ 2:00, held 1:14-1:17 -- look, aerobic set!
    odds = smooth backstroke
    evens = backstroke kick
    100 EZ
    50 evil kick on back (felt a twang in the groin area. this happened last time I kicked on my back, so the experiment to try to improve the evil kick is ended)
    50 EZ

4 x (50 fly @ 100 pace + 50 EZ)
    -- breathed every other stroke
    -- 29-30s
    -- I forgot to count my strokes, but it is way way way more than the 13 strokes I took in my 50 fly in Indy
    100 WZ

Total: 2950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up (way too early for a soccer game) yesterday and felt like I was hit by a mac truck. I may have jumped back in too quickly after nationals. But I really felt like it was the weights + long course. I was useless all day. Managed to go Star Trek in the evening.

Today, it was packed at Mason with age groupers and life guard classes. The cold water at Mason does not really agree with my lungs and I can't stay UW as long. I would prefer the temp around 81-82. I'm so used to 84 that it feels really cold when I sit on the walls as we sprinters must.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed looking at my schedule for the next couple months -- some travel, grad party, prom, track meets, soccer tournaments, Lil Fort going away/birthday big bash, summer league swim & meets, a mommy visit, my meet, Lil Fort's nationals (assuming she qualifies). Yikes. Plus, I think I will start getting sad about leaving my house. We finished a bit of negotiation about the home inspection. Thankfully, these buyers didn't expect a state of the art modern foundation. They still haven't gotten an appraiser in and, if they don't have a written appraisal in our hands in 7 days, they will have waived that contingency.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. 5/18/13 Follow-up on my RANT

by , May 19th, 2013 at 06:04 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Happy to say that whomever it was that complained about the "older" ATAC swimmers staying in the pool longer than an hour have been shut up. Coach reminded management that ATAC pays for the pool until 7am (90 min) - not to mention of course, the annual pass that gives Jenna & I a "free" ride for however long we want to stay in the pool. Interestingly enough, the complainer turned out to be a noodler who was breaking the rules herself! They apparently pay a fee for the water aerobics class & are permitted to get in the pool 15 min early & stay 15 after at no extra charge. BUT she and another were getting in 30 min early & telling the lap swimmers in the lane next to them that they had to move, because the first two lanes were reserved for their class. Hahahaha - they were informed of reality, that the pool was NOT theirs at 6:30, and in fact, they were not supposed to get in any earlier than 6:45 unless THEY paid an extra $4!!! Talk about justice!!
    Anyway, I've been workin' hard in the pool, getting in about 4500 4-5 x a week & getting ready to start my taper for Pan Am's.

Friday we did:
    500 back/free warm-up
    500 locomotive style Pull
    5 x 100 breast/free on 1:45
    3 x 100 K on 2:15
    12 x 100 @ 1:40, desc 1-3 progressive w/a minute rest before #12 (went a 1:16)
    200 choice (kids got out here)
    5 x 300 Drill, Pull, Kick, Drill, Breast/Free cool down (4500 LCM)

Saturday I swam solo - had a great need for sunshine & had the 2 year old grandbaby meeting me at lunch to play in the waterpark. Did a paltry 4000 SCY
    600 back/free warm-up
    2 x 300 P
    3 x 200 breast/free
    12 x 50 K on 1:00
    12 x 50 alt fly & free
    2 x 100 IM
    2 x 200 IM
    2 x 100 IM
    200 easy

Getting so psyched for the Pan Am meet! Totally loving weights too, so although I'm excited to start my taper - I'll miss going to the gym!! On the bright side, however, I might actually catch up on my sleep!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Multi-sport Sunday

I enjoyed a good swim at Riverbank this morning. I didn’t have any workout buddies per se, but the pool was full of familiar faces, some of them former teammates whom I hadn’t seen in a while, so I felt like I was swimming with friends even though I did a solo workout. Today’s sets were of the spur of the moment as-my-mood-dictates sort which sometimes leaves me unmotivated and aimless, but today I stayed focused and felt like I got in some good work on some technique areas that needed addressing. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 4 x 50 drill/swim RIMO)

8 x 50, 2 of each stroke IM order, odds = kick 25 fast / 25 easy, evens = swim build

100 FR pull with paddles, 3-stroke breathing, working on good catch on non-breathing side
    50 fast FR swim with paddles (strong kick), focusing on early hip rotation
    50 FR kickboard-as-buoy pull with paddles, focusing on hip rotation

8 x 50 kick, 25 fast + 25 easy, 1-4 rev IM order, 5-8 IM order

100 FR pull with paddles, 3-stroke breathing, working on good catch on non-breathing side
    2 x 50 FR fast swim with paddles and strong kick, focusing on early hip rotation

8 x 50, #s 1,4,6,8 fast kick, reverse IM order, #s 2,3,5,7 easy swim (order manipulated for kickboard-at-the-right-end-of-pool purposes)

2 x 50 FR fast swim with paddles and strong kick, focusing on early hip rotation
    2 x 50 FR kickboard-as-buoy pull with paddles, focusing on hip rotation
    2 x 50 FR with strong kick, working on all of the above

100 warmdown

I was really enjoying kicking long course today. My fastest 50 kicks were right at :50 (FR and FL), but my BR kick was slow and seemed like a stranger to me today. I’ll have to start spending more time with it so that we will become friends again.

After my early swim I stretched, had a little nap, enjoyed a diner brunch, then headed out to Brooklyn for diving practice. This wasn’t our regular TNYA workout, but one with a small group of masters divers at St. Francis College. Two of their divers had visited my team’s workout this past Thursday, and had invited me to come to their Sunday afternoon practice. I took them up on it, and was glad I did—I enjoyed a good hour of going off the boards, working on my front approach. With just 4 divers and 2 boards, I got plenty of reps in, and plenty of good feedback. When I started diving my coach said that the approach and takeoff were the hardest part of diving, and the one that takes the longest to master—and that all that flipping and twisting in the air afterwards is simple by comparison. I’m beginning to see his point. I did hit a few good approaches today and could clearly feel the difference—now I need to work on doing that consistently instead of by chance

The Saint Francis pool is super easy to get to—it’s about a half-hour door-to-door from my apartment. And now I have dived, swum a workout, and played in a polo tournament there! The coach was not sure yet what the summer schedule for diving would be out there, but I hope it’s at a time when I can go, and which doesn’t conflict with TNYA’s workouts—it would be great to get in 3 diving practices a week!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts