View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday, May 18

by , May 18th, 2014 at 06:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Swim/LCM @ Pitt:

Warm up:

600 various
    4 x (25 scull + 25 swim w/paddles)
    4 x (25 shooter + 24 EZ w/fins) @ 1:10

--One of my masters swimmers joined and we sort of swam some sets together ... she's a 200 person.

4 x (25 drill + 25 swim w/fins), IM order @ 1:00
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:00 (kind of a fast interval for me)
    50 EZ

4 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ)
    1 = fly (26 flat)
    2 = breast ( 30 flat)
    3 = kick (28 flat)
    4 = back (28 flat/low)
    -- missed one 100 recovery

Kathy was all ready to do 4 x 200 pull strong. I needed a recovery set. I did:

12 x 50, 8 of them back w/paddles @ 1:15

100 scull

2 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    100 EZ

-- We were going to do a kick set of 3 x (3 x 50 kick) going 200 pace/100 pace/EZ. I did two of them, was cramping and realized that I was totally shot. This was my 7th workout in a row and I hadn't had a day off from workouts/physical labor since May 4. So I just warmed down and got out. Still, I'm glad I went to the pool so that I got two long course workouts in.

Total: 3300 m
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. 5|18|14 SCM

500 warmup

500 drills

200 FK with board and snorkel
    • 4:24

30 x 50 on 1:00 as:
    12.5m AFAP flutter kick / 37.5 easy free

Back about 30% better than yesterday.

My kids are 17 and 15, girl and boy respectfully. The greatest challenge I have ever experienced is being the best parent for them that I can. Sometimes it seems like I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Week 85

by , May 18th, 2014 at 03:35 PM (After a long rest)
    This week I was in South Korea with work. It is a very beautiful country with amazing history, culture and unbelievable countryside. Seoul is very hectic and crazy like most major cities with a very interesting mix of old and new, eastern and western influences. I must also say it is by a long way the cleanest major city I have ever been to.

Ahead of the trip I made arrangements to swim at the Seoul Olympic pool but due to a number of things I was only able to swim once the entire week. The company we are partnered with decided to upgrade our hotel arrangements which was very nice of them but it meant I was even further from the pool. Due to breakfast meetings the first few days I was unable to swim early and then we had all day meetings. One of the days we drove 2 hrs south to Sejong the new city where many of the government ministry's are being relocated. I did a couple of 4-5 mile runs the first couple of days which made a nice change but also meant I hurt in areas I don't normally hurt, like my calfs. On Wednesday I started to feel flu like symptoms coming on. We had a conference our partner put on Thursday and I don't know how I got through the day but somehow I did. On Friday I had to excuse myself from meetings and spent the day sleeping at the hotel. Saturday before we left I was determined to get a swim at the Olympic pool and I swam a short swim which was awesome. I swam Olympic trials in 88 and had friends who made it to the games that year and it was very inspiring to be able to swim in the pool. The facility is looking quite old but still well worth the visit and something I will remember for a long time.

I arrived back last night and despite still having some head congestion I feel much better and it's great to be home. I am really looking forward to getting back in the pool this week and getting refocused on my swimming. Worlds are just around the corner and I need to start ramping up my efforts.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts