View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Saturday, June 22, 2013

by , June 23rd, 2013 at 07:35 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Avoided ATAC today - I just hate swimming on Saturdays with them - so many kids - the entire team is there & you have like 12 people per lane - plus they frequently do goal sets, which means minimal yardage - and I am trying to pick my yardage back up again. So anyway, waited until about 10:00, when I knew they would be departing for the mall or wherever, and got my swim in. Then to Kinetix for weights, then to McDonald's for a 49c ice cream cone, then to the grocery store & finally home. Slept in until about 7am this morning - it was glorious!

600 back/free
    400 IM twitch
    5 x 100 pull @ 1:30
    4 x 50 @ :45
    3 x 300: 100 fast/200 easy; 200 fast/100 easy; 300 breast/free
    100 easy
    400 IM twitch

5 x 100 pull @ 1:30
    4 x 50 @ :45
    3 x 300 as above
    Total: 4700 SCY

Got a lot done today & feel good about it - swam solo, but the water was a lovely 79 degrees & the sun was shining, sky was blue. Just a really nice day to feel alive!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Ridiculously Pleased--Summer Sizzler

by , June 23rd, 2013 at 06:10 PM (One Stroke at a Time)
    June 23rd

So I went to a meet today-- The Summer Sizzler at the Dad's Club. This is the only meet planned for Houston and vicinity this summer. The entries were due on Wednesday (with no late or deck entries being accepted). Since my last round of chemo ended last Sunday, I was still feeling quite tired on Wednesday but figured my energy would start to pick up by today.

My best events are the 200 fly, 400 IM and 200 breast. I knew I wouldn't have a 200 fly in me so I entered the 200 breast and 400 IM as they were the second event and second to last event respectively. I had absolutely no expectations going in and had no idea how to seed myself. I debated entering with NTs which I know is a hotly debated topic.

The only time I ever entered a NT for a master's meet was for an 800 free. Funny thing is that at that meet when the heat and lane assignments came out, I was in exactly the heat and lane I would have been had I entered a time-- The meet director moved me into my proper location without telling me. I didn't actually mind because the reasons why I had entered NT to begin with were kind of weak.

Back to today, I showed up at the Dad's Club and the water temperature was wonderful (I had been swimming in 84-6 degrees all week). I warmed up about a 1000. I decided to dive from the side of the pool for both races. The pool is a little shallow. The blocks are a little old fashioned. I can't quite streamline due to my port. With these things in mind, I was worried that I would take too much force on the port so rather than risk it I thought the side dive would be safest.

First up 200 breast
    Masters Best 3:03.80 (2005)
    Last Year 3:05.49 (5th in TT)
    Today 3:13.38 (1:35.43/1:37.95)

Next 400 IM
    Masters Best 5:44.62 (2011)
    Last Year 5:45.59 (3rd in TT and 10th in Fina)
    Today 6:06.56 (1:25.58/1:37.68/1:39.87/1:23.37)

The times compare to what I swam in 2007 at the Woodlands Nationals (The only Nationals that I have gone to). I was 4 months post-partum at the time (and 6 years younger). The middle 200 of the 400 IM today was actually considerably faster than what I did in the Woodlands (It is amazing that I could look that up on this site).

I entered with 3:35 and 6:30 so looked like a total sandbagger but these entry times are really what I thought I could do 4 days ago (Yesterday, I had a bit of a crisis thinking the 400 IM entry time was too fast). I had a great time. It felt very normal and natural to be at the meet. I sat with some great friends and I had tremendous support from everyone around. I am ridiculously happy right now and know this will help me get through my next cycle of treatment which starts on Friday.

Updated June 23rd, 2013 at 06:20 PM by MaryR

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Zones, Less is More, Day 2

by , June 23rd, 2013 at 05:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Zones, Day 2

-- scratched the evil events

50 fly, 30.29, NR

My start wasn't as crisp as usual. My feet were separated when I hit the water. Had just an OK breakout. My fly felt smooth, but my turnover slowed a bit the last 10 meters. Small glide at the finish. Solid swim, but not at the level of my SCY 50 fly at Nats. Still happy with the time! I broke the NR, but missed the WR by .05 (which was my goal for this meet). I was a tiny bit disappointed, but, given everything, I'll gladly take the 30.29. I'm also psyched to have the 50 fly record in all three courses, despite not being a long course swimmer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I only swam 3 of my 6 individual events at this Zones meet. It was all I had the physical and mental energy for, and even that was pushing it. The timing of my malaise sucked, but one has to expect that as a masters swimmer. I'm glad I bucked up and swam the meet. The times were not PRs, but they were my best in my current age group and best non-tech suit times. And I am hopeful they will hold up as FINA #1s. I'll be watching the results at Mission for sure.

The best part of the meet -- as usual -- was hanging out with PV friends and teammates. And it was nice to see Patrick, who closed out the meet with a nice looking 400 IM.

Updated June 23rd, 2013 at 11:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. 6|23|13

500 warmup WFSP

20 x 25 free WS
    • form
    • 14 - 15 SPL

10 x 50 easy free/fast FK each 25 WS

10 x 50 fast free/easy back each 25 WF

150 drill
    Categories