View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Finally a loop!

I enjoyed a wonderful swim today at Brighton Beach with CIBBOWS. The day was sunny with a high in the low 80s, and the water was 62—pretty perfect conditions, in my book. We had a big crowd out, and I enjoyed chatting with other swimmers and hearing their experiences and perspectives on the big swim race yesterday (many of us had helped out in various capacities). I also got to catch up with a few swimmers I hadn’t seen in quite a while.

Once sunscreened and lubed, I set out towards the pier. The water had some nice gentle swells that were fun to swim into. I got into a good rhythm almost immediately and enjoyed watching the scenery roll by, appreciating the calm and solitude. With a current assist I was down by the Coney Island amusement parks, and then the pier, almost before I realized it. I could see people on the pier and was surprised they had reopened it already, but when I got closer I saw they were all workers in hard hats, and that the end of the pier was still not yet completed. I stopped and watched them for a few minutes from the water before turning around and heading back.

On the return trip the swells were with me and seemed to want to surf me along I soon saw my friend Mike, and he turned around and swam with me back to Grimaldo’s chair. Since I was feeling good and not ready to get out, I then headed down to the white building. I was easily finding the kind of serene and joyful feeling today that made me fall in love with open-water swimming in the first place—with the sun shining on me and waves at my back, it was easy to lose myself in the water and appreciate the beauty and joy of stroking along through it.

At the white building I turned around and headed back, passing a steady stream of swimmers during my swim back in. Hard to believe it was my first loop of the season, with June is already almost half-way over! On the beach I was delighted to see Evmo, and to meet Paul, the winner of yesterday’s MIMS swim. I chatted with them a bit and with the crowd of CIBBOWS there, and shared some cookies before coaxing nearly a dozen people back into the water for some beach synchro. We made up a little routine and had an in-water giggle fest performing it What a perfect beach day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sunday, June 9

by , June 9th, 2013 at 03:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    100 caterpillar fly drill
    2 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins holding med ball in air with one arm and other arm at the side
    8 x (30 shooter + 20 EZ) @ 1:15
    -- 4 back, 4 belly
    100 EZ kick

Main Sets:

8 x 50 w/fins & paddles
    odds = DPS free @ 1:00
    evens = DPS back @ 1:10
    100 EZ kick

6 x 50 single arm fly @ :30 RI
    100 EZ kick

12 x 30
    -- start off blocks, SDK to 15m
    -- a diving clinic or practice was going on and the lifeguard was focused solely on that, so I took the opportunity to break the rules and sneak in starts
    -- 2 AFAP, 10 @ 100 pace
    100 EZ kick

4 x 50 DPS free w/fins & paddles @ 1:00
    2 x 50 scull
    50 EZ

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I knew during warm up that I wasn't doing a speed workout today. Despite a day off, I was still tired from the week. I guess my body hasn't really adjusted to long course yet. Still glad I managed a 6th swim. And really glad the lifeguards were otherwise occupied. I tried a couple starts leaning forward slightly ala Rich Abrahams. Didn't seem to work for me. My best and cleanest starts are almost always from a neutral position, neither leaning back or forward.

My Mom arrives tomorrow for a visit and for Teen Fort's high school graduation. I can't believe it's here!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 06.08.13 - Saturday workout

by , June 9th, 2013 at 08:58 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Mary at the HSV Nat. Matt coached.

LCM

600 Warm up

2 rounds of:
    * 4 x 150 Pull - 2:30 Descend (2:05->1:50ish)
    * 4 x 100 Free - 1:45 Descend (1:25->1:17)

4 rounds of:
    * 4 x 50 Kick, no board or fins :10 ri
    * :40 rest
    * 200 Choice stroke, 1st 100 Fast, 2nd 100 Brisk
    * :40 rest
    On the first 200, I did breaststroke. Next two were backstroke. Admittedly, I picked backstroke because a hard 100 lcm short axis stroke followed by a not quite so hard 100 lcm short axis stroke wasn't too appealing to me. But, I sucked it up for the final 200 and swam it fly. The first 50 was smooth and fast but whatever rhythm I had found on that 50 left me for the second. Ended up doing more survival fly for the last 100 but I made it.

200 Cool down

(4300m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Friday-Saturday workouts

by , June 9th, 2013 at 12:53 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    Yesterday, did a sprint workout...

WU: 500 fr (8:10)
    MS: 80 x 25 on :45*
    CD: 500 (100 fr, 200 IM, 200 reverse IM)

3000 SCY/80 mins
    *Did 20 on each stroke; flys were mostly :21-:22, BK :19-:22, BR mostly :24, FR :15-:17, mostly :16. Was racing Scotty on these... he took all the Fly and Breast, I took all the BK, we split the Frees.

Today, did another continuous swim: 3600 SCY/61+ mins.

1200 on 21:00 (alt. fr and pull every 200)
    2 x thru
    1000 fr + 200 bk

Was finishing the 1200 with free and bk in a little over 20 minutes.
    Categories
    Uncategorized