Recent Blogs Posts

1. 5|31|14 and 6|1|14 SCM

1500 yesterday - drills, hypoxic free, UW goofing around

1625 today -
    500 warmup
    10 x hypoxic free 25's / 25 easy kick with fins on 1:00
    7 x 25 kick on 0:50
    450 kick

Haven't blogged drylands for awhile but been doing them, just not as much with approaching meet, back problems, knee problems and stuff.

4 sets of hip flexor work on cable machine (anchored to shoe lace)
    side plank while 5 lb DB lateral raises

• 10 reps each side/shoulder

ab rollers, using chair on rowing machine
    • 10 reps

DB bench presses
    • 10 rep w/t 20's, 30's, 45's, 50's
    • 7 reps with 75's

hip stretching
    lunges with 50lbs on guided squat rack with band kit resistance

• 3 sets

vertical jumps with band kit
    rows (rt rear delt limited)
    calfs
    wrist curls

K, better start tapering the dryland too. Also, need to untaper life stress, sleep, and continue my daily couch potato régime.

Updated June 1st, 2014 at 09:12 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Is that a pickle I see?

by , June 1st, 2014 at 08:41 AM (One Stroke at a Time)
    Rice
    LCM
    4 x 3 x 50 on 55 drill 1 each stroke-kick-swim
    4 x 100 on 2:00 25 IM order/75 free
    5 x 200 on 3:20 25 fly/175 free
    100 easy
    2 x 50 on 1:00 1 fly/1 free
    5 x 100 on 1:50 50 stroke/50 free
    4 x 100 pull on 2:00
    100 easy
    3800 meters

I actually swam 5 days in a row this week. There was a 1/2 and 3/4 work-out due to weather. I was quite tired by the end of this. I have forgotten that a 50 LCM fly is actually way longer than a 50 SCY fly. Near the end of practice, I noticed my friend Nicole with her fins on at the bottom of the deep end of the pool (I could have never made it down there but she plays underwater hockey and this was no problem). She was inspecting something on the bottom of the pool that was long and tubular. She decided it was a turd or a pickle, somehow managed to get it up to find it was indeed a pickle. The origin of the bottom dwelling pickle is unclear.

After practice I stayed at the pool to watch my oldest swim in Rice's Double Up Meet. He's 10 so swam the 100-200-400 free (and dropped 7-11-26 seconds respectively). By the end of this, I was exhausted. Hopefully, I'll get back to the pool today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. How I learned to swim... and found Masters Swimming

by , June 1st, 2014 at 12:00 AM (From the Executive Director: U.S. Masters Swimming's Journey)
    I learned to swim as a youngster, playing the game “Marco Polo” with my brothers in our grandparents’ swimming pool. I also swam a couple of years with summer league programs. It wasn’t until my junior year in high school that I had my first swim team experience. I had the minimal talent required to swim four years at Georgia Southern University, and it was there that I discovered my love of swimming.

After college, I swam on several Masters teams and ended up qualifying for the 2000 Olympic Trials at the age of 28. At the Trials, I was in an outside lane in the first heat, which is reserved for those who barely make the qualifying time. Nonetheless, I was in the big dance and my swimming dreams were fulfilled. Or so I thought.

Inspired by Michael Jordan and the “Just Do It” era, I told my college swim coach that I wanted a career in sports marketing. Thinking I had starry eyes for what sports marketing meant, he gave me a job cleaning our football stadium. Two years later, surprised I hadn't quit, he gave me a job selling tickets via telemarketing and selling program ads by cold calling businesses on foot.

When I graduated, my alma mater created a sports marketing internship for me and paid for my grad school. I learned that when you just won't quit, and you carry yourself with integrity, perseverance, and the right attitude, it will pay off in the long run.

Twenty-four years later, I’m having fun leading a national governing body in the swimming industry. My swimming journey and dream of inspiring others to swim continues on.

Today, I consider myself a fitness swimmer. Balancing a rewarding and busy career with twin toddler boys doesn't leave as much time as I'd like for training. I sit on several industry boards and I'm on a mission to make sure our favorite form of exercise is no longer the best kept fitness secret in this country.

Updated July 18th, 2014 at 03:30 PM by Rob Butcher

Categories
    Staff Blogs