View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. You know you are a swimmer when...

You think nothing of taking a weekend swim and counting that as your shower. I know I am not the only one out there that has done this.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Last summer beach day

I enjoyed a fun, mellow day at the beach today. I’ve been lackadaisical about my training this week—after the big P2P swim, I was initially so happy to finish with my body intact that I signed up for a couple of late-season races and started making plans for improving my speed with more pool workouts. But after that first burst of enthusiasm I found myself waking up and not wanting to go to the pool--I think I discounted the need for a mental break from training, if not a physical one. So for the last week or so I’ve not swum much, and have been just following my instincts about what feels fun to do rather than thinking in terms of shoulds.

That meant I hadn’t gotten out to the beach yet this weekend. But I woke up this morning wanting to go, in part because I missed seeing my CIBBOWS friends. I arrived at Brighton around 10:30, and did a social 2-mile swim to the pier and back. I started out swimming by myself, but circled back to find some swim buddies after less than a half mile, just because I was feeling a little lonely. Luckily I found Patty and Capri to talk to, and we then spotted Mike swimming in our direction. (Patty prides herself in being able to identify swimmers by their strokes when they’re still quite far away, and she’s usually right). They sent me off with him, and we swam mostly together the rest of the way.

I stayed at the beach afterwards for a good couple of hours, which included an extended in-the-water synchro session. The ocean temp was 75 degrees, perfect for goofing around in the water and chatting. By the end of our “practice” there were ten of us out there rehearsing various synchro moves and performing a rudimentary routine. We got a standing ovation from the guards when we were done, and at least one beachgoer asked where we learned our skills! It’s bittersweet to think that this is the guards’ last weekend at Brighton, and that summer is truly ending.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sunday Funday

Had a good swim!

W/U 300 sw
    300 k

6 x 150

6 x 100

6 x 50

c/d 100

It was a good swim. felt strong after yesterday's water polo scrimmage. due to the holiday, not many people were in the pool. hoping to get some time in the pool tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Uncharted territory: 100 LCM Free

by , September 2nd, 2012 at 09:55 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    This is the last weekend in purgatory. I am making the best of our time away from Baylor and SCM noon workouts. Yesterday and today i'm swimming LCM workouts at SMU.

I decided to have a good positive attitude about the workout's main focus of 3 x 100s. While my attention span and internal clock are set to under :30, I made the most of it and tried my best!

Here is what we did yesterday:

800 warm up
    200 swim/pull/kick/swim
    ==>no. 800 was too much for me. I stopped at 600 and goofed around in the corner.

8 x 50 on 1:00 kick/drill
    I used my Speedo optimus fins. Drill was alternating scull or 1 arm; other arm at the side.

5 x 100's on your lane's interval plus 15
    (fastest lane started at 1:40; our lane rounded up to 2:00)
    slow
    medium
    FAST
    medium
    slow

1:35, 1:25, 1:11, 1:25, 1:35

QUESTION: is 1:11 a good time?

2 x 200 pull
    ==>no. I walked to the deep end and did 2 x DIVES PLUS BREAKOUTS

3 x 100 on same interval above
    slow
    medium
    FAST

1:30, 1:25, 1:11

QUESTION: same question.

6 x 50 on :55 recovery

1 x 100 all out

1:08 high according to coach. I would have said 1:09 flat so that makes sense.

QUESTION: is this a good time? I think it's solid, given I never swim a fast 100 LCM, and I haven't swum it in a meet since USMS Nationals, LCM in 1998 (and I did a 1:02 at that meet). If I even split, that 34.5s. Assuming that I didn't, then I would say a 32, 36 split seems reasonable. I doubt I went out any faster than a 32, maybe 31, but I could not have come home any slower than 36 or 37, which sounds quite good to me from a push 100.

I think my goal is to go 1:05 or even under in workout. That would mean a 30 or 31 but doing it with less effort, then coming back in 33 to 35. That seems a very reasonable and doable time with more LCM and comfort for a full 100.

But do I really care? Only if I decided to actually swim the 100 in a meet. It may be my bonus event, so maybe I should add it to the list.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today I am not sure what will happen. I think there is some group that is going to be doing a 10k overlapping our workout, so I am resigned to squashed lanes and not doing what I want. I am prepared to just slog through yardarge, as there is no other swim option today (and doin' that 10k isn't one of them!!) and there's no workout tomorrow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Should I do another full cycle of P90X or just order stupid Insanity now and stop talking about it? What is the meaning of life? How much do I need for retirement? Such are the questions I ask myself these days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized