View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Thursday, 9/20/12

by , September 21st, 2012 at 11:52 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Recovery day today. Am pretty sore since I resumed strenght training after a 2 month lay off.
    Took this from Leslie's HIT week 36.

200 swim
    200 IM drill
    100 kick
    4 x 25 scull
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45

Main Sets:
    4 x 50 free drill @ :30 RI
    4 x 25 human drill @ :20 RI
    4 x 25 free DPS @ :20 RI
    4 x 25 1 breath free @ :30 RI
    50 EZ

4 x 25 breast drill @ :30 RI
    4 x 25 breast DPS @ :20 RI
    4 x 25 breast kick @ :30 RI
    1 x 100 IM kick
    50 EZ

4 x 50 back drill @ 30 RI
    4 x 25 back DPS @ :20 RI
    4 x 25 back swim strong @ :45

100 EZ

Total: 2300 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Diving!

Last night I attended my first diving practice. Not diving as in racing starts, but springboard diving!

The team I swim for—Team New York Aquatics—added a diving team in January of 2011. Last March the local meet we held included a diving competition. I stuck around and watched. I saw not only former collegiate divers doing spectacular things, but also some of my lanemates who were relative beginners doing credible dives. I was smitten, and decided that I had to try it out.

Over the spring and summer I stayed pretty busy swimming but kept the diving in mind. So last week when I got a team email about a diving boot camp for anyone interested in trying out the sport, I signed up right away. I spent last Sunday afternoon learning some basics, and then ventured out to Queens last night for my first session on the boards.

And I loved it! Our coach is really great, and really focused on doing the basics right and progressing slowly, so the beginners group (there are five of us) just worked on jumping off the board correctly and doing some forward line-ups (basically getting your body aligned, bending over at the waist, then falling off the board in a diving position. We did these skills off both the 1m and 3m boards. The latter was a little scary at first, but having keys to focus on for each skill was helpful.

And for the record, that jumping off the board thing—it’s a little harder than it looks! The technique is a little different than jumping on land—you want to use your legs to push the board down as powerfully as possible, then get yourself into a straight, stiff line by the time the board reaches its lowest point so that it can vault you up into the air as high as possible when it rebounds. That means straightening out the spine, which is designed with curves to absorb shocks—a good thing in real life, a bad thing if you want to fly as high as possible off a springboard (or glide as far and fast as possible after flipturns)., A lot of our dryland work last night focused on getting that straight spine.

I have absolutely no background in diving. I did take a trampoline class in college, and loved that, so the idea of eventually being able to do flips in the air again appeals to me. I plan to try this diving stuff over the next few weeks or months and decide if it’s a keeper as an activity. Some questions I have: Can I do this without too much risk of an injury that will affect my swim training (I’m especially worried about my wrists and elbows—they’ve already proven somewhat delicate)? Will I be too scared once we progress to more complex skills? Is taking up springboard diving in one’s mid-40s completely insane? And if it is, do I care?

Answers to all these will come soon enough. For now, I’m having fun learning some new skills in a new sport!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Friday, 09/21/12

by , September 21st, 2012 at 09:04 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Got in the lane beside Sela today - wise choice as the workout went by.

500 back/free
    500 Pull
    5 x 100 fly/free/breast/free on 1:30
    12 x 100 on 1:20
    100 easy
    10 x 50 kick on 1:00
    8 x 25 4 cycle speedplay on :30
    100 easy
    3 x 200, free/pull/breast
    500 P neg split
    100 breast easy
    2 x 50 fly/free
    100 easy
    Total: 5000

It is still so hard for me to do 1:20's over and over and over again. I long for the day when they feel like 1:30's do now. Working fairly hard (80%?) I come in around 1:12/13 consistently. I want that to be coming in at 08/09 consistently. BUT, I can feel myself getting stronger!!
    Swam beside Sela today, and also one wave behind (so I left 5 sec behind her) - and easily caught up and passed her on each of the 12 x 100. I'm hoping if I do this enough that she will soon relinquish the lead position to me if we are forced into the same lane. Especially since my actual goal is to be able to do 100's on the 1:15 with the "ease" that I do 1:20's now. Then I'll bet my 500 free would have a rockin' time! Still, gotta admit doing 9 x 200 on 2:40 & 12 x 100 on 1:20 is bound to help the 400 & 800 free that I'm doing in October (3 weeks away?!). The knee has been nicely cooperative this week & I've been able to get in some good breaststroke. Tomorrow I've got a tennis match during ATAC practice, so will attempt to get in a little bit on my own in the afternoon - if only to stretch out the muscles I'm not used to using!

Updated September 21st, 2012 at 04:42 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. LCM distance day but still need recovery

by , September 21st, 2012 at 08:13 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I will try doing sprints tomorrow at the Y in the short course pool. Today just seemed best to do distance even though I need another float day.

Taper starts next week for my big fall meet.

500 free
    500 kick w/zoomers
    4x400@7:00 w/paddles & bour descending went 6:26, 6:15, 6:08, 6:01 really wanted to go under 6 but couldn't get there today.

400 EZ

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thursday September 20th - PM Weights

Kneeling cable crunch
    3 sets of 10 @ 100 lb.

Chin-ups
    10 sets of 3 @ body weight (171 lb.) + 30 lb. @ 1:00

Squats
    2 set of 5 @ 115 lb.
    4 sets of 5 @ 205 lb.

Wide-grip overhand cable rows
    1 set of 10 @ 80
    1 set of 10 @ 90
    1 set of 10 @ 100

Adductor machine
    2 set of 10 @ 160 lb.

I think this was the first time I have been able to do 10 sets of chin-ups with 30 lb. It was definitely as heavy as I could handle today.
  6. Thursday, Sept. 20, 2012 5:45-6:30ish pm @ the Y

by , September 20th, 2012 at 10:23 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Well, practice for the swim team got cancelled tomorrow. The Wenatchee area is so dense with smoke that it's almost unbearable. Luckily the pool at the YMCA in East Wenatchee is open, and smoke free. It's amazing how much about 5 miles distance can make, plus going up in elevation out of the river valley. I just got into lap swim and I was the only one there tonight alongside the swim lesson groups.

I did a somewhat sprinty-type workout tonight on my own:

Warmup:

100 Free stretch out, then stretch my arms (sore from last night's practice)
    200 Free
    300 Free Pull

4 x 100 Kick w/ fins
    (25 SDK on back/25 Flutter on back) w/ 5 underwater kicks @ 1:30 (went 1:23ish)

5 Rounds of:
    • 100 IM @ 1:30 Desc. (went 1:20/1:18/1:15/1:15/1:13
    • 50 Free Fast @ 1:00 (went :31/32s)

16 x 25 @ :30 (min. 5 underwater kicks on all)
    • Odds SDK on Back
    • Evens Sprint Free
    150 EZ relax

1 x 100 Free AFAP from a push (went :58)
    My legs didn't die on the final 25/50 either this time, in fact they actually began accelerating. I guess the coach is right about our training how it will just come automatically in a racing situation if we practice it daily.

100 EZ

1 x 100 Free AFAP w/ paddles & shorty fins (went :53)
    same result, legs didn't really hurt (yes they hurt, but the hurt from kicking, not from dying)

200 EZ and out

----------------------
    2800 Yards

Tomorrow, early morning, I'm taking a road trip down to Oregon City, OR. I have to pick up a few certified copies of my divorce paperwork from my former life, and I have to get them on Friday. The best part of my former life is my oldest child of course, which is 100% mine. The U.S. Govt. is waiting for the certified version for my daughter's passport, and they don't give you much time to get the papers. I'm not about to lose the money I've already paid, so I guess I'm headed to Oregon.

I may try to surprise the old head coach that I used to work with in Canby, OR tomorrow as well. Maybe they have a lunchtime lap swim and I'll just walk in as a paying customer, and he'll be like "WTF??"
  7. Workout 09/20/13: evening

by , September 20th, 2012 at 09:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 150 FR, 150 Bk, 200 IM
    10 x 50 on :45 (#5+10 = BK)
    500 FR with snorkel (25 DPS, 25 drill)

Go Four times through:
    - 200 FR pull with buoy on 2:50
    - 4 x 50 FR on :50
    -- Round 1/3 = Quarter's Strong
    -- Round 2/4 = Burst 6/8/10/12 and cruise
    - :30 sr between rounds (next top or bottom)

200 with snorkel (skull/dps by 25) warmdown
    (Solo/Rec/3300yds/65 min)
    -------------------------

Did I mention that I forgot my goggles at noon? I did,so I made sure to bring them tonight. Good workout, despite a crowded pool when I first got it. Still getting used to the snorkel, but think it would be more beneficial for training LCM (less turns). The main set was tough; I stopped the intervals off a tad the 50's for a little more rest, plus took :30 between rounds. I intended to descend the 200's, but went 2:29, :31, :34, :30 - really pushed the last one. Quads sore from earlier, so I dropped a kick set.

Now back to juicing some grapes
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Thursday, Sept. 20

by , September 20th, 2012 at 08:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises, 15 min
    power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
    captains chair leg raises, 2 x 20
    total ab machine, 120 x 4 x 12
    rear delt flys, 65 x 1 x 15, 70 3 x 15
    super pullover, 110 x 1 x 15, 120 x 3 x 10
    good mornings, 65 x 1 x 8, 75 x 3 x 8
    leg abductor, 130 x 3 x 6
    extreme angle iso squat, 4:00
    TRX squat jumps, 15

Stretching/Foam Rolling, 20 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I didn't feel like going to the pool today. It was a little soon for drylands, as I just hit the gym on Tuesday, but I went with my mood. Hopefully, I can do a kick ass HIT workout tomorrow. And then I have a massage scheduled! I haven't had one since June.

Interesting article on taking time off:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet

--- I sometimes wonder if more of us should do this. Perhaps it is the best way to faster times and ideal training, though it would take some patience to let yourself fall out of shape and then rebuild. Jimby was forced to take two weeks off for a retina detachment, and came back stronger than ever. I believe Jeff Commings takes chunks of time off on occasion too.

Swimming & Stress -- surprised they needed a survey for this
    http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-rel...164401676.html
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Help! I’ve fallen….and I can’t get up!

by , September 20th, 2012 at 05:37 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    Fast forward to May 2008. At this time I was married, living in Portland, Oregon, and had been working my first 'real' job at the state Public Health Division for about two years. I was swimming once a week at my local pool, but I was starting to feel a bit old at the ripe age of 26. I felt like I needed to do something crazy, so I decided to take up something that I’ve always wanted to learn: skateboarding.

Things started off really good. Six weeks into it, my balance was much improved and I was feeling really comfortable cruising around at some fairly good speed, and I hadn’t hit the ground once yet! A friend of mine decided to take up skateboarding with me, so on the weekends we would hit up deserted parking lots and cruise around. One sunny evening in June, we were out at Swan Island cruising around the huge FedEx parking lot. I was cruising around, and I remember that I was headed towards a wet patch that the sprinklers had created. Well, least to say, I didn’t make it through that wet patch. It tripped me up for some reason, and I fell spot on my left shoulder.

I immediately knew I had dislocated it. Mainly due to the obvious popping sensation that I had felt, plus I couldn’t move my arm. I was on the ground, and I couldn’t get my arm to move to get myself back up. Then, the pain came. HOLY HELL! And my friend was nowhere to be found. I knew she must have been waaay over on the other side of parking lot, so I laid there and waited…and waited….and waited. It felt like 15 or 20 minutes before I knew that if I wanted medical attention any time soon, I would need to get up and find her. So, I took a deep breath, and managed to get up. Holding my arm as pain went searing through my body, I hobbled to the other side of the parking lot and found her.

After I finally got to the hospital, it was still a good two and a half hours worth of waiting before my shoulder was put back into place. First, I had to wait my turn in the jam-packed ER. Then, I had to get X-rays to confirm that my shoulder was *actually* dislocated before they would give me pain meds (WTF!). Finally, I was prepped with an IV, as they knock you out so they can get your shoulder back in more easily. I was all ready to go when the doctors came over. But then they told me that I looked “more flexible” than average (thanks to swimming??), and that they were going to try to reduce it without knocking me out. I had to lie on my stomach with my arm dangling over the edge of the table, and it was only 2-3 seconds of intense pain before they got it to pop back in. Most relieving feeling ever!!! I was sent home in a sling and was told that the Orthopedics and Physical Therapy departments would be calling me soon. I thought to myself, “Well, I guess I get a few days off work, and I have pain meds, so thats not too bad!”

A few days later, I found myself sitting in my living room flipping through the TV channels, when I came across the ‘live’ airing of the 2008 Olympic swimming trials on NBC. I looked down at my arm in my sling, and then the realization came. I then thought to myself, “Oh F*&%, what have I done?!”

Updated September 21st, 2012 at 12:21 PM by swimslick

Tags: injuries
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. My swimming background

by , September 20th, 2012 at 04:04 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    Thought I'd write up a bit about my swimming backgound first for some context before I get into all my shoulder mumbo jumbo....

I started swimming at an early age. Both my parents had relatives that had drowned, so I was put in lessons as soon as I was out of diapers. At age five, I joined WAVE Aquatics (then known as Totem Lake Swim Club), located in Kirkland, WA. My mom actually wanted to sign me up for synchronized swimming, but they didn’t accept kids younger than six. So swim team it was (thank goodness).

My age group ‘career’ was fairly short and sweet. From ages 10-14 I won several state and regional championships (fly, IM, and free...dont ask about breastroke lol), and placed well at a few Zone meets. When I was 12, our 400 free relay ranked #1 in the NAG top 16. Right after I turned 13, I broke the minute in the 100 fly, which was probably the highlight of my swimming career. I remember at the time my goal was to swim for the University of Washington, and make the Olympic team for Sydney 2000. A kid can dream, right?

However, around that same time, my parents got divorced. It was pretty ugly, and I was an only child in the prime of my adolescence. It was also expected that I move up and start training with the Senior group, which was rough for me because I was very attached to my friends and my age group coach. I remember my emotions were all over the place, and I was crying at a lot of practices and swim meets. Long story short, I couldn’t handle all the change, and it showed in my lack of improvement. So, right after I turned 15, I hastily decided to quit swimming. Just like that. No one around me seemed to question that decision, including myself. I continued to swim high school season up until I graduated, which was actually a lot of fun without all the pressure. I did still manage to make a few finals at the HS State meet, but of course I never came close to my old club times.

Every once in a while I would drop in on the team for a visit since they practiced at my high school pool. I'm pretty sure they all thought I was pulling an Anthony Ervin because I was all 'alternative' looking (this was Seattle in the 90s, what would you expect? lol) and I'm sure I smelled like cigarette smoke (soooo cool, right?). But really, I stayed out of any real trouble and had a part-time job. My grades stayed decent and my parents made it clear that I was still going to college, despite my lack of enthusiasm for it. When I was applying for college, I was actually offered small scholarships to swim at two in-state colleges, but I passed on those.

After I graduated and went off to college and then grad school, I never let swimming get too far away. I swam for PE credits, and on my own when I had exhausted the number of PE credits I could get each year. I also had worked as a lifeguard and taught swimming lessons at the local athletic club. I think in the decade after I graduated high school, the longest time I went without having at least a once a week swimming routine was about 6 months. So, I have always held on to my identity as a swimmer.

Updated September 23rd, 2012 at 02:33 PM by swimslick

Tags: glory days
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. More IM!

by , September 20th, 2012 at 03:24 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    A few extra moments so here it is! It's been really IMmy lately, but that's 'cause I happen to be going on Tue/Thurs.

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    IM day!

400 warm up

12 x 50 on 1:00
    3 rounds of 4
    fly/back; back/br; br/free; free/fly

50/100/150/200/200/150/100/50 pull :45 base
    ====>you have got to be kidding me. no. absolutely not. I did every other 50 and made the 4 x 50 of the 2 x 200 very strong; descend 35 to 31.

5 x 100 on 2:00
    1, 3, 5 fast IM
    2, 4 recovery
    1:19, :19, :17

8 x 50 kick on 1:00
    ==>not really. I was so wiped out I flopped and did all sorts of not-what-the-set-is-suppose-to-be 50's.

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Ok! That was pretty strong IMming for me today. Not the greatest, not any breakthroughs, but strong. If I keep this up, then I would like to get closer to 1:15s. Not sure how long this IM/stroke phase will be.

I still haven't gotten my key lime pie. I did get some interesting kettle style waffle chips, but they are sort of hard to eat. You really have to concentrate on the bite, instead of the lazy fly-dissolving action of eating something like Lays. I'm used to putting my tongue between the waves, but when it's waffled, that makes it confusing which way to bite!

Next up: Golden Corral tomorrow!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Thursday September 20th - AM Swim

Santa Clara Swim Club Masters - SCY
    Gary coaching

Warm-up (1450)
    1 x 300 (got in early)

2 x 200 @ 2:45
    2 x 50 @ 1:00 choice
    2 x 150 @ 2:05
    2 x 50 @ 1:00 choice
    2 x 100 @ 1:20

50 easy

Set I (400 / 1850)
    3 x 100 @ 2:00 kick, descend
    100 easy

Set II (300 / 2150)
    12 x 25 @ :30 streamline drills: 2 kick in streamline, 2 ??, 4 one-arm, 2 hesitation, 2 swim

Set III (1700 / 3850)
    10 x 100 @ 1:30 pull with agility paddles and buoy, best average (went 1:04 on first, 1:06 & 1:07 on remainder)
    100 easy
    10 x 50 @ :45 pull with agility paddles and buoy, best average (went :32 & :33 on all)
    100 easy

Set IV (1250 / 5100)
    5 x
    * 1 x 75 @ 1:00 free (went :49 - :51)
    * 1 x 50 @ :45 choice
    * 1 x 25 @ :25 choice
    * 100 active recovery

** 5100 yards **

What a difference a day makes! I was feeling beat-up all day yesterday and seriously considered skipping practice this morning, but I decided I would go and just bail if I felt too bad. I got in early to stretch out a bit, which helped get me ready for Gary's typically fast-paced warm-up.

The instructions for the drill set were to "feel" the streamline, so I took that to heart and really thought about my body position and the feel of the water on my hands and arms. This must have had the desired effect because I have never done a 1:04 in workout and my normal pace for 100s on 1:30 is about 1:13. I was going second in my lane, but I was leaving 10 seconds behind the leader and he is much faster than me so I don't think I got much of a draft. My leg cramped on the first 75 of the last set so I ended up using a pull buoy on most of them.

Updated September 20th, 2012 at 04:00 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Surgery date set....eep!

by , September 20th, 2012 at 03:03 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    November 12th is the day, about 2 months from now. I am going to attempt to blog about my experience, since so many other forums and blogs out there were quite helpful for me while I was researching my condition and treatment options. I'll make another post soon to give some background on my initial dislocation injury, subsequent instability events, my recent return to the sport via USMS, and finally what prompted me to finally go with surgery. Stay tuned, I know this should all be very, very exciting.

Tags: surgery
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/21/20122

by , September 20th, 2012 at 02:08 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 150 2:30 2:15
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 50 descend 1:00 1:00
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 100 free-moderate to easy- 2:15
    8 X 25 free-sprint- :30
    Two rounds. Swim #5 25 easy on both rounds.

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    5 X 100 kick 2:15
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 100 choice-moderate to easy- 2:20
    8 X 25 stroke-sprint- :40
    Two rounds. Swim #5 25 easy on both rounds.

8 X 150 pull 2:15
    100 moderate/50 fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Thu Sep 20, 2012

by , September 20th, 2012 at 01:58 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Sep 20, 2012

Whitney coached
    Mabel Davis pool was 77, several swimmers wore wet suits, I love cool pools

6:00 - 7:30
    swam with Jim, Korey, & Paul
    beside Jeff & Larry

Warm up
    assigned 1000
    did 7 or 800

Main Set

300 on 4:15 right into
    200 on 2:40 right into
    100 on 1:15
    100 easy
    (regroup about 1:00 extra rest)

2x300 on 4:15 right into
    2x200 on 2:40 right into
    2x100 on 1:15
    100 easy

3x300 on 4:15 right into
    3x200 on 2:40 right into
    3x100 on 1:15
    100 easy

Next Meet:

Sat Dec 1, 2012 - Sun Dec 2nd

2012 South Central SCM Reg Championships
    DAYS TILL

2013 South Central SCY Zone Championships
    Return to UT in early April, 2013
    The 1st time since 1999!
    Tentative dates: Fri Apr 5 - Sun Apr 7
    it wont be
    April 19 - 21 UT Swim Center Events Schedule say there's the TXLA Long Course Kick Off
    26, 27, 28 is too close to nats so it's likely to be 5, 6, 7 or 12, 13, 14

Updated September 20th, 2012 at 03:15 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 09/20/12: noon

by , September 20th, 2012 at 01:47 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Did some followed by a brief swim:

Rowing Machine: 15:07, 3529 meters
    (Note: they physically move under 1:55m/500 pace)
    Back extensions: 3 x 10 @ 0/5/10# per round
    Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ 65/95/105# per round
    Seated leg extensions: 3 x 10 @ 30/40/50# per round

After a quick talk with the director and auatics director of the Rec related to upcoming changes to the local Masters program as well as thoughts about the "new" pool, I gingerly hopped in and ...

Kick with board: 150yds flutter
    Kick w/o board: 150yds back
    Swim 300 yds long and strong
    (Solo/Rec/600yds/15 min)
    ------------------------------

Made the trip to Philly and back yesterday to drop Emma off to school at Drexel. Thankfully no major issues on the road or there - they actually had a very streamlined process for checking into the dorms (with street closures and free garage parking), so that was good. Left the house at 8am, got to Philly around 1pm, then left at 5 and got home around 11pm. Long day!

(Life, packed away before entering the dorm)

Was able to meet her roommates and also get all of her books as well as some odds and ends for the dorm room before a quick bite there. It was hard leaving her there, but I trust that this is where God wants her to be, and He has equipped her with all the tools to do good things there, both in the classroom and out. I am blessed with a tenderhearted young lady who is a lot more adventurous than me, and I am waiting to see all that she experiences there. It'll be different around here; lonely.

I was able to sleep in this morning, and after a quick breakfast headed out the vineyard to start the grape processing for the year. As you may recall, we have about 50 feet of Concord vines in the back yard, and I am the chief jelly maker in the house. My attempt at last year was not completely successful, partly due to not using enough grapes. We have a bumper crop again this year, and we are processing jelly/juice earlier than normal so I'll give the wine another shot after the jelly is done. It didn't help that I forgot about it in the basement and never took the must off.

Plan to get back into the water a bit later this evening for a good workout - I ate at Five Guys on the way home last night so I feel the need to work off some of that lumper of a supper I had (anyone have an extra Lipitor to send my way?).

(*This meal is approved by James Adams)
  17. Easy recovery day

by , September 20th, 2012 at 11:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I just floated around for 2500 yards today. Lots fo zoomers and snorkle work.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 09.20.12 - Thursday workout

by , September 20th, 2012 at 09:27 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Roger. New challenge set today. Here's the plan for the next 10 weeks:
    * take your goal time in any 200 event and divide it by 4 - This is your target time for a 4 x 50 set
    * Swim 6 x 50 descending on a comfortable pace to get up to speed
    * Rest 1-2 minutes
    * Swim 4 x 50 on your target time + 20 seconds making sure you make your target time on each 50.
    * Each week for 10 weeks, drop your interval by 1 second and keep making the target time.
    * Week 11 is a timed broken 200 on 50s taking 10 seconds in between each 50.
    My best 200 free is a 2:04. I want to break 2:00 so, my target time is :30. This week, my interval was :50, next week, :49... after that :48, :47.... down to :41.

SCY

600 Warm up

Challenge set
    6 x 50 - :45
    2:00 Rest
    4 x 50 - :50, make :30 on each one (:31, :27, :29, :28)
    Already missed it on the first one . Made up for it on the others. Surprised at how exhausted I was after this set and I'm not sure how I'm going to do when the rest starts decreasing.
    100 Easy

8 times through:
    * 100 Kick - 1:30 (Br - 1:23 to 1:27)
    * 50 Easy fly - 1:00
    100 Easy

4 x 25 Fly - :40 no breath

5 x 200 Pull - 2:45 (2:18, 2:17, 2:12, 2:10, 2:05)

8 x 50 - :50
    * Odds IM Order kick/IM Order
    * Evens IM Order
    8 x 50 - :50
    * Odds Br/Bk kick
    * Evens IM Order kick/IM Order

200 IM - 3:00
    200 Free - 3:30
    200 IM - 3:00 (Beat time from first 200 IM)
    Went 2:42 on first IM and 2:32 on the second.

200 Cool down

(5200 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Wed, Sept. 19, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

by , September 20th, 2012 at 01:10 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Tonight was a great workout, despite the outdoor conditions prior to arriving at the pool. The Wenatchee area is so filled in with smoke that it is pretty tough to breathe. We're swimming 'with caution' and it's noticeable as approximately 50% of the team wasn't there tonight. In the fast lane, it was only Jared and myself. He's the fastest boy on the team, at 15 years old, and he and I work very well together. The coach is very pleased with how we're doing.

Warmup:

800 Free DPS (alt 200 breathe @ 3 strokes, 200 breathe @ 5 strokes)
    400 Choice Kick w/ board desc. each 25 (basically get faster the whole way) did flutter

4 x 200 Free Pull @ :30 rest (basically ended up the 2:40 interval)

goal is to go fast enough to maintain 25 beats/10 seconds pulse (150/min)
    • went 2:10/2:10/2:11/2:11
    • At this point I knew we were in for a doozy of a practice
    12 x 50 @ 1:00 Alt. Best Stroke/Worst Stroke - Did Fly/Breast

Main Set (4 Rounds):
    • 200 Free @ 3:00 Desc. by rounds & fast final 50
    • (went 2:25/2:20/2:17/2:15)
    • 2 x 50 Free Sprint @ 1:00 (:30/:31)
    200 EZ Free stretch out (at this point it was 8:05pm and 4000 yards)

10 x 100 Kick w/ fins @ 1:40 Odds Flutter/Evens Dolphin
    --made 'em w/ no cramps

4 x 200 Best Stroke @ 4:00 Desc w/ last 50 fast

--coach let me do three backstroke, then final one fly - what a nice guy!
    • Back 2:46/2:45/2:42 - my legs just could really kick here...
    • Fly 2:26 ouch - nothing like a 200 Fly at the 5800 yard point of a workout
    12 x 50 @ 1:00 (other 2 strokes that we didn't do in the previous 50s) Back/Free

200 EZ and out

---------------------
    6600 Yards

KNelson, this one was for you! Not quite Cascade caliber, but I felt it was pretty dang close.
    This was the most yardage I've done in a single workout since 1999 when I was a senior in college.
    Time for

Oh, I'm down to 197 and holding...(down 6 pounds since Sept. 1)
  20. Wednesday, 9/19/12

by , September 19th, 2012 at 08:39 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warmup
    15 min choice (800)
    - did 200 swim free & back
    - 200 kick with board & snorkel
    - 200 pull free & back w/buoy only
    - 4 x 50/1:00 build

Set #1: (300)
    8 x 25/:45 burst + cruise
    - 4 free swim, 4 dolphin kick underwater
    100 easy

Set #2: Main Set
    2 x through:
    - round 1 back, round 2 free:

25 AFAP + 25 EZ @ 1:10
    50 @ 100 pace/1:30
    - back = 42, free = 37
    100 @ 200 pace
    - back = 1:32, free = 1:22
    200 EZ/5:00

workout called for 3-4 rounds but I stopped after 2 rounds because I was tired, sore and not very motivated.

Warmdown
    100 easy

Total: 2000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast