View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 9|1|13 Serpente acquatico

by , September 1st, 2013 at 02:24 PM (Blog)
    SCM - 45 min

30 x 50 on 1:00
    • first several were mid 50's, then gradually increased to low 40's

4 x 25 flutter kick on 0:30
    • just barely made these, therefore the other SCM pool might be a little short (or this one long)

300 drill WF

Didn't swim yesterday.

Spent the day and part of evening working in yard. As I was finishing up and walking into the back yard, I noticed my cat frozen in her tracks as I approached. She looked up at me, her pupils were fully dilated and I knew she was on to something. I had my head-light on and thankfully noticed what it was - a copperhead. It was resting in the path to my back yard where I always walk, and if my cat didn't tip me, I could have easily stepped on it for one hell of a miserable envenomation. I can't afford another accident like this (a week in the hospital 3 yrs ago), the body reacts more severe the second time around to both venom and antivenin. I always carry a flashlight at night for this reason, and I am very greatful for my awsome cat.

I had to extract the snake because it crawled under the sunroom where our cat sleeps. With a garden hose 6 feet away, I guided it with a stream of water to crawl in to a bucket (still marvelled over how I did this). I don't plan to kill it, that's how most bites happen. I also don't have the heart, but I have to figure out a relocation option soon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Diamond Lake swim

by , September 1st, 2013 at 12:21 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    The first in what might become many in this pirate swim series (we certainly won't run out of lakes in Lake county, IL or Kenosha county, WI any time soon)!

Here was the scene from the parking lot where we started:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo09010812.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	7921

A nice little mist was starting to roll in as we finished. Mike and I had a good swim... nice comfortable pace, the water was nearly perfect. Not a lot of boat traffic, though we did see a waterskier as we were standing in the parking lot after the swim. I just plugged the route into Geodistance and it came up as a roundtrip of .733 miles, so about 3/4 of a mile. We could have taken a more southerly route but there were some fishermen in boats to the south and the inlet I thought we might want to aim for had more boat traffic than our stretch swimming out just north of the park. Here's a shot I took from the boat ramp right after arriving, you can see how inviting it is with the sun just rising behind me:

Name:	Diamond lk.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	7922

The route on Geodistance is marked out here in the satellite image...

Name:	Diamond lake route.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	7923

It was good fun; a nice relaxing Sunday morning swim. Tomorrow maybe we'll hit Grays Lake since it is a holiday... 7AM was a great time to start. I texted Scotty (my usual training bud from Kenosha Y) to see if he wanted to do it and he said I was nuts (to which I responded "I am what I eat!"). I'll get him out into the open water one of these days!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Classification (September-October 2013)

by , September 1st, 2013 at 12:00 AM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    What is it with our propensity to classify everything? The desire to separate, organize, and name singles and groups of anything seems to be hardwired. I’m pretty sure the hunter-gatherers had collections of the things they hunted and gathered stored up in the Paleolithic version of the freezer-bag-and-Sharpie or the alphabetized spice rack. In the 1700s Carl Linnaeus, the father of taxonomy (the science of naming stuff), wasn’t satisfied with only one label, so every known living thing got two or three names.

Obviously, Linnaeus was onto something. Based on the highly unscientific data collector known as Facebook, the email we get, and the conversations we’ve had on deck, it’s not so easy to classify swimmers with only one name; many consider themselves fitness swimmers who compete or competitive swimmers who swim open water, etc. So why do we go back and forth over the labels, fitness swimmer and competitive swimmer?

It’s undoubtedly another human trait to resist labels when they are placed upon us, and often with good reason. Since the dawn of time, humans have had a hard time with the concept of moderation when it comes to labeling—not all have used their powers for good. It’s fine when labeling meant: “This plant will cure your headache; this one will make you bleed out your eyeballs.” But when labels are applied to people, it can bring out the worst in Homo sapiens.

Whatever type of swimmer you consider yourself, we’re all good. We just want to make sure we’re providing content and services that you find valuable. We’ve labeled this issue as the first “Fitness Issue” of SWIMMER. It is not strictly fitness articles—Pan-Ams was a competitive event and Rich Burns, featured in “From the Center Lanes” would probably not be considered a fitness swimmer by anyone. But it’s a way for us to hunt and gather content that appeals to those who swim for myriad reasons.

Updated July 1st, 2014 at 10:38 AM by Editor

Categories
    Staff Blogs