View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:00-1:50pm

by , September 15th, 2013 at 06:15 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    It was a warm day, and I should've figured it would be a busy day at the pool today. When I arrived at the pool, there was a line of kids waiting to get in. Well, on the good side, they're not trying to occupy my lap lane space!!

Warmup:

500 free
    400 Free Pull
    300 SDK w/ short fins
    200 IM
    100 Free
    (1500/1500)

10 x 50 Free @ :45
    10 x 50 Free Pull @ :40
    (1000/2500)

w/ short fins:
    4x (75 SDK cruise @ 1:15/25 SDK Fast @ :30)
    (400/2900)

100 EZ
    ---------------------

3000 Yards

A bit wavy, but not bad. Had the ball come over to my lane a couple times, but didn't get the chance to run anyone over...though I probably didn't have the energy to do so even if I wanted to. My job is nice for the income, but my body is really tired and sore daily.
  2. Lunch Swim, after weights 9/14/13

by , September 15th, 2013 at 04:22 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    I think I'm going to begin doing weights in the evening after work rather than in the mornings. Two advantages, one I am certain of, the other will tell; by going to the gym after work on MWF, I will get to sleep in on T & Th, plus, perhaps be a bit more productive those nights - currently I come home & generally veg out. (OR, I could go to the gym after work on T & Th & then in the afternoon/evenings on Saturday) - and hopefully by not doing weights immediately before I swim, I won't be so darn exhausted when I swim. I would like to be able to have more quality in my workouts every day I swim.
    I have strained my right rotator cuff - not too badly - but enough that I bothered me so much that I took a flexeril on Friday night. Wish it had only been 5mg instead of 10mg, because I was blitzed Saturday morning & couldn't drag myself out of bed until about 10am. Went to the gym ~11 & then to the pool for a solo swim - I picked a Dave Salo workout for a change & was mentally up for it, but not physically. My muscles were just too tired (plus I didn't have the motivation of my team mates around me). I'm happy to say that I did do the majority of it well, even though I did not do the goal times for each set.

400 back/free
    4 x 100 P (no paddles)
    4 x 50 kick
    100 easy
    The next is done 3 times through:
    2 x 25 P sprint on :30
    2 x 50 P on 1:00; P200 - which means you go the pace you want to be on the 2nd 100 of your 200
    100 @ 1:45; P200 again
    Then: 3 x 100 @ 1:30; P500
    Repeat the entire bit from the 25's through
    300 breast/free

This was a thinking set as well as a doing set - plenty of rest, and time to think about why in the world I wanted to do this set today!!! But seriously, I had to sit down before I got out of the car & actually figure out what my P200 and P500's actually would be. Lots of rest - was still pooped by the end anyway.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 9|14|13 SCM, O2, LT, LP, and some speed

by , September 15th, 2013 at 02:00 PM (Blog)
    11 x 50 on 2:00 fr, target a 1 sec descend for each from 45 to 35
    • was within 2 sec on all, some were on but undershot most

5 x 50 on 3:00 fr, 1 sec - each from 34
    • ended up 34, 33, 32, 33, 36, any available speed was lost in the prior set
    • not sure if this set was productive, form and speed lost, but hurt factor definitely there. Is there anything worthwhile here?

3 x 200 (4 x 50 on 1:00) on 5:00 as 15 AFAP/35 easy
    • 15m AFAP parts were fr - bk - br - kick, easy portions as fr

7 x 100 on 3:00 as 15 AFAP/35 easy
    • 15m AFAP parts were fr - kick, easy portions as fr

9 x 50 on 0:50 fr with snorkel
    • 43's
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. How do I find a coach for our Masters program?

by , September 15th, 2013 at 12:00 AM (Questions from Coaches)
    Q: How do I find a coach for our Masters program?

A: Finding a qualified Masters coach takes time and patience. Before you begin your search, it's important to define the job description. More importantly, you should determine the goals of your program.

Once you have your program identity and goals defined, you can search for a coach with the same values. It's critical to hire a coach who understands that swimming needs to be fun while helping swimmers and the program meet stated goals and objectives.

Programs can advertise for a Masters coach in the USMS Discussion Forums, in the local print media, or any number of online employment services. Contact local age group, high school, and college swim teams; they often have swim coaches interested in additional coaching opportunities. The more irons you put in the fire, the greater the chance the most qualified coach will apply for the position.

Applicants should be required to send a résumé and cover letter. I recommend having applicants write a one-paragraph statement of why they want to coach Masters swimming--give applicants an opportunity to do some homework on Masters.

After reviewing the applications, determine which applicants are worthy of further review. Schedule phone interviews with out-of-town applicants and in-person interviews with local candidates. Make your final selection and negotiate the compensation and benefits. Both parties should sign a letter of agreement outlining each other's responsibilities.