View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday, Sept 22

by , September 22nd, 2013 at 07:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

600 various
    4 x 50 scull @ :10 RI
    4 x 50 free, descend to 200 pace @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    6 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ
    6 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

4 x 25 burst SDK + curise @ 1:00
    4 x 30 burst + cruise from the blocks
    100 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP from the blocks + 75 EZ)
    -- 2 free (11 flats even with poor breakouts), back (12)
    50 EZ

3 x broken 100 fly + 100 EZ
    50 EZ

10 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins, under 12.5 each 25 @ 1:00
    50 EZ

4 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    10 EZ

Total: 3575

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made it to Pitt in the early afternoon. Better to come after 2:00 when the club team isn't there. But I had a lovely hike in the woods planned later with Jimby and Lil Fort and our dogs and Jeremy/Jocely and their new puppy. The puppies loved it! I'm a bit surprised our 9 week old puppy made it that far and was still ready to play. She's sleeping hard now! No swim tomorrow as I have to spend all afternoon waiting at the house for a delivery. I will try to squeak in some scarce drylands. I ordered a 25 lb kettleball. I need to hang my TRX too ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. 2013 Corporate Challenge

by , September 22nd, 2013 at 06:47 PM (After a long rest)
    This was the event last year that got me back in the pool. We had a low team turnout with only six of the twelve swimmers who signed up actually showing up. Despite that we had a great time and swam well as a team. The event is part of the City of Richardson Corporate Challenge in which companies in the Dallas/Fort Worth area compete in a variety of events over a three month period with money being raised for the special Olympics. It's a great event and an even greater cause.

The swimming is 50scy free, 50scy back and a mixed 200 free relay. The event is separated into men and women swum ages 29 and under and then in 10 year age groups. They award 1-3 in each age group and then rank individuals independent of age by company division based on time, where companies are grouped by size and number of employees.

Thee electronic timing did not work today so I don't have official times but the timers gave me 22.7 on the 50 free and 27.x on the 50 back. I was very pleased with the free because I had a slow start a poor break out of my turn and did not really get going. I really think when shaved, tapered and focused I have a 21.x In me. I was 22.6 at Spring Nationals. Since I never swam this in college this one is fun because it's an opportunity at a life time best. The 50 back was pretty poor. My start felt good, but I misjudged my breakout and took my first stroke under water. Then on the turn i was too close to the wall and did not get a push off. Despite both of these I was pleased with the time and will be swimming more back in the future. I have a lot of room for improvement on these short races.

We had a great relay and ended up lapping all bar one team and won our division by 13 seconds.

The event was a lot of fun and it's nice to swim some short races every now and again. Back to base training this week!

Updated September 22nd, 2013 at 07:52 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  3. Finally, some signs of life!

by , September 22nd, 2013 at 03:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I am finally actually almost unbelieveably feeling pretty good! You won't believe this is me posting, maybe someone hijacked my blog and posted in my place. Anyway, set your faces to stun!

On Friday, I got a haircut and an eyebrow wax. Then I had an awkward amount of time, too much hang around, so I decided to swim a quick sprint workout on my own. I went nearly exactly the same times as the week before, but my fly is finally starting to come back:

From the blocks:
    fly 32
    back 35 high
    breast 40
    free 29

then the team came in. I decided to stay for a bit and loosen up. But then, I stayed for the entire workout since I really liked the sprint sets! So I was actually in for a whopping 1 hour and 45 minutes!!!!

The main sets I liked were
    8 x 75's, 2 rounds
    fast/easy 50
    fast/easy/fast
    all easy
    all fast
    I did these IM w/o free

Then
    6 x 50's
    fast/easy
    easy/fast
    all fast
    I did these fly and/or breast

I'm bummed out I won't be racing until Nov. There there are too many choices over limited weekends! I have also decided that during the school year, drylands/vasa once a week would be good. I just can't do more without bumping into recovery days! So here's my plan:

Mon - strong/sprints
    Tues - strong/sprints
    Wed - easy swim or off
    Thurs - off; stretch only
    Fri - strong/sprints
    Sat - drylands/vasa
    Sun - easy swim or off
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 200s Time Trial

by , September 22nd, 2013 at 03:08 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    After a hard week and a couple of recovery days, Scotty and I figured it was a good time to time-trial some 200s to get a benchmark. Friday I was still pretty stiff from the Thursday set of 50s and the strength training in the weightroom so I only did 2000 in drills. Saturday I went in to get another recovery workout in... didn't want to swim too hard, so I could save it for today's time trials, but I did want to get in a little bit of up-tempo work. Here's what I did:

400 EZ swim
    4 x 100 IM
    4 x 50 fr fr
    8 x 50 on 1:00 in 4IMO (:45, :48, :50, :50, :53, :53, :46, :44)
    200 recovery
    8 x 50 on 1:00 in 4IMO (:46, :48, :47, :47, :53, :54, :45, :43)
    200 recovery

I wasn't too disappointed with this effort, wasn't pushing 100%...felt more like I was at 85%. The 400 IMs were both under 6:30 when you add up the times... so it was good pace work for me; a bit of a confidence builder going in to today. After two days without doing any weights, I hoped to be recharged enough to put in some good times. Here's what I did today:

400 EZ swim (alternated 100s, fr and pull)
    4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (not blazing at all swam thee in mid 1:40s; last one in 1:39-40)
    4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (:37-:43)
    Master's minute

200 FLY (off the blocks, 3:22)
    200 recovery
    200 BACK (off the blocks, 3:08)
    200 recovery
    200 IM (off the blocks, 3:13)
    200 recovery

200 pull
    4 x 100 IM on 2:00
    200 pull

I was a little disappointed in the 200 fly (I swam 3:21 from push at the beginning of August), but given that this was done without any sort of taper and after some hard drylands over the last few weeks, I'm not entirely displeased. I tried to relax as much as possible, I felt a little slow, but at least now I know what my target pace in practice should be now.

I was much happier with the 200 bk... I started losing steam in the last couple of lengths, but my average pace of :47 was right where I thought it would be... hoped it would be, honestly. I can work to improve that over the next few weeks too.

For the final time trial I did 200 IM while Scotty did 200 breast. His breast was on fire today and I couldn't keep up. Still, I matched my 200 IM personal best from last spring.

Now that I have a benchmark, we'll see if I can keep up the pace work in practice and retest again in about three weeks.

Got into the weight room afterward, but only had twenty minutes, so I did one set of everything instead of three... probably needed a "step-down" session anyway.
    Categories
    Uncategorized