View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 6|3|13 Return to Status quo (fins, snorkel, paddles, etc)

SCM

WARMUP
    500 WFSP

WORK/DRILL
    30 X 25 on 1:00, 3 x the following:
    2 x roll-over drill
    2 x roll-over drill WF
    2 x FK WS
    2 x fr WF
    2 x fl WFS (last set did fly with closed fist)

Classic City LCM meet (Athens Georgia) report:
    50 free

100 free (50 free split request)
    • 28.42 (51.59) 1:20.01

This meet was just part of road trip/meet drive-by to spend time with my son, and decided to make the meet part a 3 hour event. I scratched my back and 200 free events. Had to notify an official beforehand, she was calling absent swimmers up by name and it disrupted the start sequence. When I scratch, I usually just let the timer know, but this meet had low attendance and was smoking by quickly enough to miss your heat.

I met Elaine there, she is cool. I was able to watch one of her events (200 Br) and she swam it well despite injuries.

For the first 50 free, I didn't really warm up enough beforehand. Felt a little sluggish off the block, and I did not sleep properly the night before which could be the reason. When I broke out, I caught myself holding back and pacing (forgot I was racing I guess) and breathed two, maybe three times. Anywaze, satisfied overall

2nd attempt (SR): Checked in with the official to remind my request, she told me to hit the touch pad hard. I think it was because the pads didn't fit tight on that end. While warming up I noticed there was a gap on the hook where they hang, and it was just draped there loosely on that end. Nevertheless, I didn't hit it hard, but punched it instead. I breathed only once or twice, but whatever it was, it was one breath less than the first 50. I thought it felt a little faster than the timed result but I am happy. Since it was SR it was not over yet, I have to make it back to the starting end, This was the hardest part.

An overall fun experience

Updated June 3rd, 2013 at 08:15 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Week 36 - Monday

by , June 3rd, 2013 at 08:15 AM (After a long rest)
    I woke up early this morning thinking work,which is never a good start to the day. I felt tired and sluggish in the water.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup drill on 55

Main set
    5x(100 kick on 2 mins, 200 swim on 2.40)
    10x50 swum 25 streamline with snorkel, 25 swim on 50
    2x400 breathing every 5 with 15 seconds between 400s
    10x50 swim on 45

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 4200 meters

i held 2.25s on the 200s, but felt pretty crappy. Overall an ok workout but I felt awful.

Updated June 3rd, 2013 at 07:47 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Good Distance Day but had to swim around the manatees

by , June 3rd, 2013 at 07:45 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Had to share today with 2 people who could swim and 1 manatee, at least the floating log was not there(he calls himself that not I). Next week the kids will move 1 hour later and there will be more than one lap lane YEAH!!!!

This was a good pace day but I did have to modify my intervals to get around people and stay ahead of them. Lap swimmers don't seem to pay attention to the speed of the people they jump infront of. So I don't feel bad mowing them down!

400 free
    4x50@1:00 free as 25 fist drill/25 swim

4 times thru:
    300@5:00 free w/paddles & bouy held 4:40's
    100@2:00 free fast went 1:36, 1:36, 1:35, 1:34
    200@3:30 free w/paddles & bouy went 3:17, 3:15, 3:15, 3:15
    100@2:00 free fast went 1:35, 1:37, 1:36, 1:34

600 free EZ

Total 4000 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sunday, June 2, 2013 Apple Capital Day 3 Results

by , June 3rd, 2013 at 12:18 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Started off the day with a little timing of the morning session with my older daughter. Gotta get in the volunteer hours with the team of course. Saw some fast 10 & unders too. I finished this about 11:00, and didn't have my first event under after 3:00pm so I went home for a while and got some work done as well. No rest for the weary!

Got to the pool and warmed up a little bit in the deep tank, probably a total of 400 meters at the most. My first event was the 100 Fly, which I was seeded 3rd in, with my "best time" (1:03.1) from when I was age 22 or 23. It was the only event that I really wanted to do today anyway.

100 Fly - 1:06.3 - good enough for 3rd place!!
    I actually earned one of the cool medals that the team purchased this year for the Top 3 places! I didn't figure I would be able to get one, but I guess I was wrong.
    1st place was a 1:00, 2nd was 1:05.5, 3rd-7th was 1:06.3 to 1:07.0, so I got the lucky end of the reach at the wall.

--------------------
    The rest of my day was just survival mode to get through my events...3rd day of a meet, and recovering after my sickness last week, this is all I could do:

200 IM - 2:37.xx
    31.5 / xx
    xx / 34.0

200 Back - 2:49.
    Is it bad that my 200 Breast time was only 13 seconds slower than this??
    whatever...I need to remind myself that only Fly and Free are to by swum in LCMeters from now on...and maybe the 400 IM

200 Free - 2:18.0
    I felt good on the 1st and last 50s in this, the middle 100 just stunk.

Well, I got in a good amount of racing, and will be able to repeat the freestyle and fly events next month, along with the 400 IM.
  5. 2 Bridges Swim

I had a terrific experience yesterday at the 2 Bridges Swim in the Hudson River at Poughkeepsie. The event featured an afternoon start time, which allowed those of us from the city to catch a late-morning MetroNorth train from Grand Central. The day was gorgeous, making for a beautiful ride up, with the train tracks running along the east side of the Hudson. I always bring a book on the train, but I don’t think I read more than a few pages—mostly I chilled out and watched the river roll by during the hour-and-a-half trip up.

I got to Poughkeepsie on the early side, and ran into my friend and Iceland teammate Amanda in the train station. We made our way down to the river together (an easy 5-minute walk from the train station.) Once there, I saw race directors Rondi and Dave and a bunch of CIBBBOWS volunteers, and made myself helpful by helping tote drinks down to the registration area. There were already a number of swimmers gathered in the pavilion, seeking relief in the shade (the race coincided with a heat wave). Susan from Maine recognized me and introduced me to her teammates Kirsten and John, and I was happy to chat with them for a bit, and admire their very cool matching swimsuits. Maybe slknight will post a picture on her blog?

I checked in and got my number, enjoyed visiting with other swimmers and volunteers, and eventually changed into my suit and got ready to swim. Soon we all made our way down to the dock for the pre-race meeting and 3 pm start.

Poughkeepsie has two bridges spanning the Hudson that are located just 900 meters apart. The Walkway over the Hudson, now a pedestrian span, is a restored 19th-century railroad bridge. To the south, the Mid-Hudson Bridge carries car traffic. Yesterday’s 5K race started near the midpoint of the two, on the east bank of the river, and had us swimming 2 counter-clockwise loops around each of the two bridges’ easternmost stanchions (one loop for the 2.5k). Three buoys were placed in a triangle around each of the stanchions to keep us well away from them (something about a security zone there). The race was scheduled for the slack between ebb and flood, so the tides were changing from south to north over the course of the swim.

The race had an in-water start and an on-land official finish, though the race director requested that we honor our swim-finish order when exiting the water via the boat ramp. The race instructions were given right by the boat ramp, and while listening to them most of us swimmers were huddled into the little rectangle of shade afforded by a nearby building—it was a very sunny afternoon, with temps in the low 90s, and the swimmers in wetsuits especially were wilting a bit. I was very happy when we were allowed to enter the water for the start. The river at 65 degrees felt very refreshing. I paddled around a bit while waiting for the start countdown to begin. Near shore we were sheltered from the wind, but the flag on the pedestrian bridge was blowing stiffly, and Willie pointed out to everyone in our wave (all the 5k’ers) how the buoy we were to round before heading from the bridge was pulling northward on its anchor cable—not from the current, which was headed the other way, but from the wind—and that taking a wide berth to the south of it to avoid the cable would be wise.

Once the race started I stayed wide of the field, which stretched out pretty quickly. At the first bridge stanchion I saw my CIBBOWS buddy Eli, but after that I didn’t see any other swimmers much for the rest of the swim. Swimming north, with the wind, was easy—gentle swells seemed to just push us along—but everyone agreed that swimming south against the wind was harder. I enjoyed the bouncy ride against the swells as they broke over me, though, and appreciated the contrast between the two as I changed directions.

On the first lap I swam easily, and took in the sights—the church steeples rising from the town of Poughkeepsie, the bridges, the big flat barge passing by as I made rounded the Mid-Hudson Bridge stanchion for the first time. In the shadow of the bridges it was noticeably cooler. I did some backstroke in those spots, and admired their arching grace. The water seemed very clean and pleasant. About half way through the second lap I got my first taste of it and was surprised that it wasn’t salty—I’m so used to swimming in the ocean that the season’s first taste of freshwater came as a bit of a shock.

On the second lap I picked up the pace a bit, and especially enjoyed swimming aggressively against the chop on the backstretch. The swells made it difficult to spot other swimmers, but I decided that if there were any within catching distance now would be the time to go after them. (It turned out there weren’t, or at least not any I saw, but the faster pace was ended up being enjoyable for its own sake). I took a better line on the second loop—on the first I had swung out a bit wide out into the river. As I neared the last stanchion I could tell by my progress towards it that the tide had definitely turned northward. I kept near to shore on the final stretch so that I wouldn’t have too far to go in after rounding the finish buoy.

I stretched out on the last half-leg, and was enjoying the ride in with both the current and wind assist. As I was swimming the final stretch into shoreh, I turned over to do some backstroke, and caught sight of my friend Yuta making up ground quickly behind me, so I turned back over and swam honest freestyle to the finish, maintaining a few strokes lead. He was the first swimmer in my wave I had seen since roughly 500m into the 5k swim (I had passed by a few of the 2.5k’ers, who started after us).

We exited carefully on the boat ramp, assisted by CIBBOWS stalwarts Tom and Patty. On shore there were bunches of excited swimmers to chat with, and more swimmers coming in to cheer for. The sky clouded over for a bit and threatened a rainstorm, but it never materialized. Soon all the finishers were in, and it was time for dinner and awards at the lovely dockside restaurant after.

I finished up 10th overall in the non-wetsuit 5k, and 3rd woman behind Susan and Hannah. My TNYA teammate Charles won the non-wetsuit 5k overall. It was fun hanging out with everyone—swimmers, kayakers, volunteers—afterwards. I saw a lot of smiles, and it seemed like everyone had a good time. Kudos to Rondi and Dave for another exceptionally well-run event!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 5K Sunday

by , June 2nd, 2013 at 06:49 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    After missing a couple of days in a row I felt sluggish and not at all comfortable today. Still managed to gut out 5k in the pool (5500 SCY).

10 x 100 on 1:45 (alt. fr and pull)
    1:00 rest
    5 x 400 IM + 100 recovery swim on 10:00 (4 IMs in 7:19-7:30*)
    10 x 100 on 1:45 (alt fr and pull)
    200 IM on 4:00
    4 x 100 IM on 2:00
    400 EZ cool-down

The first 4IM was actually my slowest, I was still warming up I guess... but both fly and breast timing felt off today. At least I got back in the pool and didn't have any nagging soreness (or outright pain).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Saturday, June 1, 2013 Apple Capital Day 2 Results

by , June 2nd, 2013 at 01:32 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    After yesterday's rough time with life in general, I managed to wake up this morning feeling great, in fact better than I've been all week long, so I headed in to work like always at 5:00am to get a little more $$$$ in the pocket. Got 8 hours done, and still had about 3 hours at home to take the kids to the school to play, and just relax for a while.

Headed to the pool about 4:00ish to grab a cheeseburger with grilled onions from the concession stand. They're 100% worth it, and don't sit in your stomach, or at least not mine. They had a 30 minute-ish warmup period at the mid-point of the afternoon session (you know how USA-S has to do the "4 hour rule"). I got in about 800 of easy free, some fly drill, and a little speedy stuff, but not much more than 25 up tempo stuff. I already knew I'd be better at this point than Friday's 400 IM. My body was 100% different feeling.

~6:00pm
    200 Fly - 2:30.25 (same as last season)
    31.9 / 36.1
    39.7 / 42.0
    Yeah the back half hurt a little bit, and I was really feeling stiff around the 150 or a little before. As I pushed off the final wall I could feel that twinge just prior to getting a cramp coming on in my calves. Uh oh. I just slugged through the final 50, trying not to use too much effort on the legs, or risk rescue by the lifeguards. Made it home right about the same time I had last season, so that's a plus.

~7:00pmish
    200 Breast - 3:02.92 (about the same as last season)
    42.3 / 47.8
    47.5 / 45.4
    I told John that I was going to take it out easy, and build the effort and turnover on each 50. I did start easy for sure, and stayed neck and neck with a girl next to me (they swam all the 15 and over events co-ed mixed), until the final 50 when I really went for it with my turnover and lunging forward. My legs just played along, but I powered home well. This is a pretty decent time for me.

~9:30pm
    The sun was well down at this point, and it had been cooling for the past couple hours, plus the wind was picking up a bit like it always does around here at night. Basically pretty cold no matter who you are. I stayed in my clothes up till about 15 seconds before the whistle to get up on the blocks.
    400 Free - 4:48.40 (3 seconds slower than last season)
    1:08.xx / 1:14.mid / 1:14.mid / 1:11.low
    I was sandwiched between a college girl and another boy in the final heat, and they both got out about a bodylength or more ahead of me within the first 100. I was just eating their wakes for the middle 200, and began to pull up on them both from about the 250 point to the 350 mark. I gave it my all to catch them, but to no avail. Kids...

-------------------------------------

Tomorrow morning I'll be timing the meet for about 3 hours in the morning with my daughter, and then will get back later in the afternoon again for 4 more races. These ones should be better...at least I'm waiting for the 100 Fly in which I'm seeded 3rd in. I need some hardware!!!
  8. 85 degrees at the Y today

by , June 1st, 2013 at 08:12 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Managed a good workout today dispute the hot temps. Focused on stroke work today

1000 free as 200 SPSKS
    Next sets were with monofin
    8x25@:45 fly scull drill
    8x25@:45 1 arm fly alt rt/lt
    200 fly kick on back
    8x25@:45 fly fast
    8x25@:45 chest press
    Remove monofin here
    8x25@:45 torque drill
    200 fly no equipment for time went 3:26 pleased with this since my best recent time in good temps in competition was 3:11

200 breast kick
    8x25@:45 breast pull w/zoomers
    8x25@:45 breast scull w/ snorkel
    8x25@:45 accordion drill w/snorkel
    200 front & reverse scull
    200 breast for time went 3:40

200 back kick w/zoomers
    200 free kick w/zoomers

5x100@1:45 as 50 free/50 back w/paddles held 1:30's
    300 kick free w/zoomers
    200 free easy

Total 5000 yards

Updated June 1st, 2013 at 09:23 PM by Donna

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Saturday 6/1/13

Saturday 6/1

AM only LCM (plus torrential rain and thunder (but no lightning) the whole practice)

3x
    300 @ :15 rest swim w/ fins + snorkel
    4x50 @ :10 rest 25 kick/25 drill
    3x100 @ 1:40 Descend by 25s

8x25 @ :10 rest V.S.
    100 EZ

6x50 @ 2:15 FAST (29.5, 30.0, 30.0, 29.7, 31.0, 30.5)
    9x100 AE
    6 @ 1:20
    3 @ 1:15
    100 EZ
    4x75 (+ 25 EZ) @ 3:00 FAST (45.9, 47.8, 49.0, 48.8)
    6x100 @ 1:20 AE
    100 EZ
    2x100 @ 1:00 rest (basically a broken 200) I.M. (1:15/1:14 for a 2:29)

200 EZ

Total: 5500

Updated June 4th, 2013 at 01:01 PM by Calvin S

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 35 - Saturday

by , June 1st, 2013 at 10:42 AM (After a long rest)
    My daughter has a two day swim meet this weekend so I was only able to do the 7-8am swim this morning and will have to find some time this week to make up the weights and dry land portion. I felt ok this morning and the extra couple hours of sleep to the rest of the week certainly helped.

warm up
    8x150 on 2.15 swum 50 free, 50 back, 50 free
    100 easy while others finished
    10x50 kick on 1min
    10x50 wide arm catchup on 50
    100 easy

Main set
    15x100 swum 5,4,3,2,1 starting at 1.30 and descending to 1.10

5 mins of video and stroke analysis

Total 4000meters

i really liked the catchup with the hands separated as opposed to the hands coming together. This enabled me to concentrate on a nice 6 beat kick and still keep my free ryhthm. The descending 100 set is one of my coaches favorite sets and we did this frequently when swimming short course, but this was the first long course. I did not feel too good at 1.25 pace but kept pushing and made all the 100s the last one I held 1.08. One of the guys in the next land helped by stopping every other 100 and going for it on the ones he swum, which gave me someone to chase(at least on the first 50). I enjoyed the video work and need to work on head position and higher elbows.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. 06.01.13 - Saturday workout

by , June 1st, 2013 at 09:41 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave and Tess next to Tucker, Bob and Bob. Tucker got about a 600m head start on me. I eventually caught up by keeping my speed up and using shorter rest intervals. About the time I caught up, he left but Bob and Bob had joined him and Dave and Tess were getting in synch with what I was doing. The problem with pushing hard to catch up is that you get worn out. Tess led the lane which helps out but she is a good bit faster than me and was pushing a tough interval. I hung in as long as I could and switched to pull when I couldn't keep up.

LCM

200 Free
    200 Bk/Br
    200 Free

200 Kick w/ Fins
    200 Pull
    4 x 100 - 1:30
    200 Kick w/ Fins
    200 Pull
    4 x 100 Free down/IM Order back - 1:45

8 x 50 IM Order - 1:00
    4 x 100 Free - 1:30
    200 Pull

4 x 50 IM Order - 1:00
    100 Free - 1:30
    200 Free - 3:00
    300 Pull - 4:30

300 IM, No Free
    4 x 50 Free - 1:00
    200 IM
    2 x 100 - 1:45
    100 IM
    200 Cool down

(5600m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Fri May 31 - A 70 Mile Month

Felt a little better today after a day of rest and did more of a speed workout with Ray and Keith.

Also hit 70.31 miles for the month of May. Never have done that and don't think I want to do it again. 23 workouts averaging more than 3 miles a workout. Too much for me to maintain over several months.

Now through August, workouts will be limited to about 85 minutes and I plan on averaging about 4500 yards working more on speed. Plan on throwing in a quasi-competitive meet June 23 and a 5K postal swim in July. Just cutting back the workouts will be a partial taper for the June meet and I amy do a short full taper just to build up some speed and strength for that with the hope of carrying it forward.

5x100 Free on 1:30
    4x125 Free on 1:45 (1:35 - 1:38)
    4x150 Free on 2:15 (1:55's)
    100 back
    4x125 Free on 2:00 (1:35's)
    4x150 Free on 2:20 (1:50 - 1:55)
    100 Back
    8x100 Back w/paddles on 1:45 (1:20's)
    10x50 Free w/paddles on :50
    225 Kick (started cramping)

4425 yards
    82 minutes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Friday 5/31/13

Friday 5/31

"Thursday practice do-over"

PM only SCY

800 (300 swim/100 kick)
    600 (200 pull w/ buoy + strapless paddles/100 kick)
    400 (100 drill/100 kick)
    200 I.M. drill/swim

8x25 @ :10 rest w/ fins "Bubble Drill"
    1-4 focusing on down kick for FL (kicking on back)
    5-8 focuins on up kick (kicking on stomach)

8x50 @ :45 D1-4, 5-8

100 EZ

2x
    4x200 @ 2:30 2nd and 4th 50 STRONG
    3x150 @ 2:00 middle 50 STRONG
    2x100 @ 1:10 1st 75 STRONG
    (100 EZ between rounds)

8x25 @ :30 w/ fins + snorkel
    odd: HP drill (Human Paddle drill)
    even: B&A drill (Bow and Arrow drill)

200 EZ

Total: 6100
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Friday, May 31, 2013

by , May 31st, 2013 at 07:51 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    LCM@FGCU Aquatic Center
    Air temp 74, Water temp 78
    Cloudy, humidity at 79%

Warm Up
    400 FR as 50CU/25RA/25LA/50 SPL-28
    200 FR as 2(50 Smooth, 50 Fast)

*Set 1*
    2(4x50 FR on 1:10)
    * 35-34-34-33
    * 34-34-34-33
    ---200 BK/FR by 100

*Set 2*
    4x400 FR on 2:00 Rest
    from dive, as 50 steady/50 strong

*Set 3*
    8x50s FR on 1:10, odd @40, even >35
    1)39 2)33
    3)40 4)32
    5)41 6)32
    7)40 8)31

Warm Down
    400 FR Smooth

Comments
    Did not feel that great in Set 1, and then just swam for technique in Set 2, but in Set 3 I had fun swimming fast on the even 50s.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday, May 31, 2013 Apple Capital Day 1 Results

by , May 31st, 2013 at 06:56 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I've been sick since Wednesday night, running a fever, and just overall feeling like BLAH. This morning I woke up and didn't have a fever anymore, and was feeling pretty good so I decided to give it a shot. It's only the "easy" events this afternoon anyway, right??

Warmup:

500 Free
    400 IM Drill
    300 IM Kick (no Free)
    2 x Dive 50s (I just cruised them)

---------------------------------
    1300 LCMeters

I was feeling pretty iffy during the initial 500 of the warmup, but figured it was mainly from the after-effects of the past couple days. 1 1/2 hours later was my first race, the 400 IM

400 IM - 5:37.UGH
    I was about 15-20 seconds away from where I should have been at, and possible could've been better than that at 100% health.
    Splits - I don't recall them all, but:
    31.1/38.0
    46.0/46.0
    49.8/49.8
    38.5/37.5
    I felt OK the first 50, but I just didn't have the normal UMPH that I usually do in the fly. It was just downhill from there. At least I wasn't rescued by the lifeguards.

1500 Free - Scratched
    It was a decision that was for the best by me and all the coaches. I'd just hate to get stuck in an almost 20 minute race and feel like I couldn't finish it.

On the good side...I will be able to watch Kirk on Jeopardy tonight!! You'd better win dangit!!!!

When I got home from the meet, I took my temperature, and I was back up to 100.7 again. Not good...back on the meds and hydration again. I may have to scrap this weekend altogether. I believe that was my first scratched/missed event as a masters swimmer/renewed age grouper.
  16. Friday, May 31

by , May 31st, 2013 at 03:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    2 x 50 single arm fly
    2 x 50 scull w/agility paddles
    6 x 50 DPS free w/agility paddles
    50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 30 burst + cruise
    -- did the first two off the blocks and promptly got yelled at by lifeguard, and so ended my block work
    100 EZ

1 x 50 DPS fly
    150 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 200 EZ)
    1 = fly, 27 flat
    2 = fly, 27 flat
    3 = backstroke @ 90-95%, trying to work on deeper catch, 29 high
    4 = dolphin kick w/board, 28 high
    5 = breast, 31

6 x 50 DPS backstroke w/agility paddles @ 1:15
    50 EZ

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made it to Mason today amidst life chaos. Was feeling a bit end-of-the-week tired, but laid down some fast 50s. My fly feels better than last summer. I swam 26 out of 31 days in May and got in 8 long course workouts in the less than 3 weeks since nationals. Only 3 weeks until Zones!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 35 - Friday

by , May 31st, 2013 at 12:23 PM (After a long rest)
    I was tired this morning but still had a good workout.

Warmup
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 50

Main set
    10x100 swum 25 streamline kick, 25 free with overkick, 25 streamline kick, 25 free with overkick on 1.40
    4x200 on 2.30
    100 easy
    3x(2x50 free on 40, 25 under water on 40, 75 fly on 1.30) with fins
    100 easy
    2x100 from the blocks fast on 3 mins

Total 3500meters

I held 2.15s on the 200's and felt strong. Two of my team mates threw on fins and after the first one decided to do a 2x100 relay. I felt good on these but was even more tired when I was done. The 2x100s from the block were tough and I held 1.03s on both. I felt good on the first 50 but half way back on the second on both I tired pretty bad. My daughter has a meet tomorrow so tomorrow mornings workout will be just a swim so I should then have some time to recover before long course again on monday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. 05.31.13 - Friday workout

by , May 31st, 2013 at 11:20 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave and Dave. Both are back and all is well again with the team. Dave brought with him 88 laminated 5k workouts. Our previous ones were lost probably to an end of year swim team box purge. So, we started back at #1 today:

SCY

600 Warm up

4 x 100 - 1:30
    4 x 100 - 1:25
    4 x 100 - 1:20
    4 x 100 - 1:15
    50 Easy
    Made these fairly easily and felt like I was warmed up just right for the next set:

1650 Timed (20:53) Open turns on 300s, negative split
    3:48, 3:47, 3:46, 3:48, 3:50 - not quite a negative split. Apparently, I wasn't feeling as great as I had thought. Not sure if I'm just tired or if this is a stroke problem. I wasn't feeling that great yesterday either.
    50 Easy

4 x 100 - 1:30 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 25 kick fly
    4 x 100 IM (2:00, 2:00, 1:50, 1:40)
    4 x 100 - 1:30 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 25 kick free
    50 Easy

100 Timed free - 1:03 We don't do these a lot. Speed felt good. I need to kick more.

200 Cool down

(5100 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Thursday 5/30/13

Thursday 5/30

"Waste of a Practice"

PM only SCY

3x
    300 @ :15 rest w/ under H2O turns
    8x25 @ :10 rest 25 human paddle drill/25 "stir the pot" drill w/ snorkel
    4x50 @ 1:00 kick

**Made it through the 8x25 on round 3 before a HUGE storm came through and cancelled the rest of practice...Disappointed because the main set looked really good, but the silver lining is I wont miss the set, as we plan to just do it Friday afternoon instead!

Total: 1900
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Wednesday 5/29/13

Wednesday 5/29

AM only LCM

400 swim
    6x100 @ 1:40 25 under H2O kick/25 FL/50 FR w/ fins

400 @ :20 rest (5:21)
    300 @ :15 rest (3:54)
    100 @ :00 rest (1:11)

300 @ :15 rest (3:58)