2x225 @ 3:00
    1 - FAST (2:14, 2:14, 2:13)
    1 - A.R.

6x150 @ :10 rest FR w/ snorkel
    2 - pull w/ buoy only
    2 - pull w/ buoy + paddles
    2 - swim w/ paddles

Total: 5450

So I got home (as in back to my parents house) around 1:00 am this morning. Managed to get up and make it to my old club's practice but arrived about 7 minutes late and missed the first 600 before the 75s. Took a while to get warmed up and swim out yesterday's festivities, but I was able to really get going on the 225s. I was flipping at 1:58 at the 200 on all three, and was feeling comfortable enough to hold 2:12-2:15 on the 200s aerobic. It's rough trying to practice after a long night out partying, but it really helps me get myself in order and not loaf around all morning feeling sick!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013 11:00-12:15pm

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 05:19 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Today's swim was with my dentist, soon to be 65 year old Dr. Davis. As we were warming up, I suggested we do a birthday set for him, something at least realistic, 65x50s @ :45. He was up for it, though he used short fins like he usually does on his long mainly repetitive sets (i.e 30x100s, 40x75s, etc).

Warmup:

600 Free
    (600/600)

Birthday Main Set:

65 x 50 Free @ :45
    (3250/3850)
    I started out holding :35s, and slowly bounced around up to about :39/:40 for a bit in the middle. The last 15 though, I came back down to :35 and under (when we were circle swimming).
    We swam side by side, until around #50, when a younger girl (about 25) came up to ask if we could all circle swim. The pool was pretty crowded at this point, and I could tell by looking at her that she'd have no problem keeping our pace on the set. During a quick :05 break between 50, I explained what we were doing, and she had no problem with that. Found out later she was a former swimmer at UCLA and then Univ of Washington...who was over in Wenatchee visiting her family and came in for a swim.
    It was a good swim, and the motivation of not getting beat by a 65 year old kept me going. Almost the same motivation we men get at meets when racing against a woman.

150 EZ and out

---------------------
    4000 Yards

Two more weeks till my next meet in Moscow, Idaho. I'm also working straight through for the next two weeks without a day off (maybe). The meet is a Trifecta Challenge meet, trying to get people to swim the 50, 100, and 200 of any stroke, and then be rewarded with some unknown thing after the meet. There's also the butterfly + Brute Squad challenge being offered, and that's what I signed up for. So I'll be swimming:
    1650 Free, 400 IM, 100 Fly, 200 Fly, 50 Fly in that order. I'm sure I'll be swimming a couple relays as well. At least I got my wife convinced to come along with the kids to this meet, so I can have a designated driver for the way home.
  3. 11|02|13 fit test and SCM

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 03:41 PM (Blog)
    Had my annual fit test for weekend warrior stuff this am, the test is as such:

Waist measurment (max points 34"): 30"
    1 min pushups (max points 44): did 47 in 40 seconds
    1 min situps (max points 50): did 52 in 50 seconds
    1.5 mile run (max points 9:58): I don't think so - an easy 12:22

This has been my slowest run in years, but it was enough to score a 94.7 overall which means I don't have to test again for 12 months (instead of 6 months).

I only did what I needed (plus a couple extra) for the strength portion, those are easy to max out. For the run, I could have easily ran a minute or so faster, but to get max points would require a run in under 10 minutes which I'm certain I cannot do. That would require specific training and preparation, chiefly of a slow-moving distance kind, with a slow swimming side effect. Since the only run training I've been doing all year was occasional well-rested 50 and 100m sprints (except for a 30 min POW run last month), I asked myself why risk potential injury running as fast as I can for 1.5 mi just to score a 98 when I can have an enjoyable run and make 95 points? I hate running anyway.

Had 60 minutes to spare managing a trip to the SCM pool:

15 x 50 on 2:00 fr-fr-dr/br order
    • fast breakout/4 strokes for the fr's.

5 x 50 DFS fr on normal breathing
    • fast breakout/4 strokes from both the dive and turn, remaining swim filler was easy

25 DFS FK AFAP

Finishing up the kitchen project, still need to do trim and touch-ups, replace electrical outlets/switches, then find and hang blinds. With this and all of the stuff I've been doing lately I've gotten out of focus with my swimming, but I think I still have some speed to spare (if I can keep my arm from falling off lol). Wow two meets coming up SCM and SCY, I need to get my stuff in order!

Ailments report: left shoulder loose, popping, a little warm, but it's pulling through. Hopefully it will slowly tighten up with theraputic TLC
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, Nov. 1

by , November 1st, 2013 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC/Scap, 15 min (did this last night too)
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    flutter kicks on back on bosu, 3 x 50
    captains's chair leg raises, 2 x 15
    low row negatives, 75/90 x 3 x 8
    good mornings, 45 x 3 x 8
    free motion lifts, 50 x 3 x 8
    fast leg press jumps, 90 x 3 x 8 (weird machine, you're basically laying on your back)
    kettleball swings, 25 x 1 x 15
    med ball slams, 30 (forward, twisting, reverse)
    box jumps, 10

Swim:

easy continuous 1000 yards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tried not to overdo at the gym, but tweaked my left hamstring a tad.

Got my Swimmer mag today. I wrote an op/ed piece for Both Sides of the Lane Line. Little did I know that the opposing piece was written by my PV buddies Mollie Grover and Jeff Strahota!

Got a pair of Speedo's new laser elite goggles to product test. They look pretty cool, smaller than those largish goggles that Phelps/Lochte were sporting at the Olympics.

One other things I thought was interesting about the Jimby-Rushall conversation is Rushall thought that there was a decided advantage for a masters athlete who had never been out of the sport or taken little time off. As an example, he noted that Jenny Whitely of Aussie is beating Shane Gould (who took 17 years off). I have always felt that was a huge factor for me, having taken 24 years off from the pool. There is no way I could develop the aerobic base of say Karlyn Pipes or Laura Val, both of whom took little time off. That's one reason I focused on sprinting. I guess one good thing that came from time off was being open minded enough to learn a new stroke -- dolphin kick -- and try different training methods.

Happy weekend everyone!

Updated November 1st, 2013 at 05:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  5. Sarasota YMCA Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout: 11/04/2013

by , November 1st, 2013 at 12:22 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:30 3:20
    3 X 100 1:50 1:40
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right

1 X 300 kick + 100 swim

4 X 50 descend to fast 1:15
    4 X 25 sprint :45 #4 on 1:45
    Two rounds, choice.

1 X 100 easy
    1 x 50 blocks @ 100%
    Four rounds

6 X 100 2:20
    odd: cruise
    even: 85/90%

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 57 - Friday

by , November 1st, 2013 at 10:53 AM (After a long rest)
    Last night I skipped weights and went trick or treating with my 10 year old daughter. My son who is soon to be 13 dressed up and went over to a friends house to play video games(I dont quite understand the logic, but hey, he was was happy). I hung back while my daughter and three of her neighbourhood friends got inordinate amounts of candy. They started with little buckets but ended up with pillow cases filled with treats. My wife took over around 7.30 so that I could get to bed at my normal 8pm time(I am now going to bed earlier than both my kids).

I was really happy with my workout today. We still did some long yardage but we did a very nice set that combined speed and endurance, and I got faster as the set went along which was a great feeling.

Warm up
    400 swim with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
    4x(2x100 on 2min AFAP, 200 kick on 3.20, 2x50 on 30, 100 easy on 1.40)

Warm down
    3x500 swum (#1 with snorkel, #2 pull with paddles, #3 alternating back free by 50) with 30 seconds rest between 500's

Total 4600 scy

The first 2x100's felt pretty bad, but after that I felt better and better as the set went along. I went 57's on the first 2x100's, then went 56's on round 2, 55's on round 3, and 54,53 on the last set. The 50's I was holding 28's throughout. The 200's kick I worked hard and held 3mins. I last round if this set I was flying and one of the guys in the next land started a set when I had 50 to go and I chased him down which also felt great and was the reason for me going as quick as I did.

I get to sleep in tomorrow morning(after discussion with my coach who initally wanted me to show up at practice, but thought about it and said show up at noon for warm up for the meet. I swim the 50 free, 100 back, 200 free and 500 free tomorrow. I am hoping for a quick 200 and 500 but at the end of the day just getting A cuts to allow me to swim with the fast kids is the goal for each swim this weekend.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Friday - Nov 1, 2013

by , November 1st, 2013 at 10:08 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Arms so achy from weights today. They were achy yesterday too - can hardly wait to get started on my mortering tomorrow (jk)

500 back/free

3 x 200 P on 2:45

4 x 100 K on 2:00

4 x 100 stroke free on 1:40

100 easy

16 x 50 @ :50 descend in groups of 4 - wore paddles on last 8 - it's amazing how much faster I go, and how much more I can feel myself pulling with those on (and no pullbuoy)

100 easy

4 x 4cycles on :30

200 breast

300 Pull

300 breast

300 kick

300 breast/free

Total: 4300
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Had to back off a bit

by , November 1st, 2013 at 10:07 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Sometimes I push myself too hard but at least I know when to stop and then start back again.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    1100 free w/paddles & bouy time at the 1000 mark was 14 minutes had to stop due to setting heart rate alittle high
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    7x100@1:40 free w/strapless paddles maintain 6 beat kick
    200 free w/snorkle as 25 drill/25 swim

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Growing Pains (November-December 2013)

by , November 1st, 2013 at 01:00 AM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    Knowledge, sometimes born from debate, is good for sports
    I know next to nothing about sports other than swimming. I’m an anomaly in almost any crowd—my friends tease me for not knowing what a first down is or look aghast when I suggest that the stuff you endure at a live baseball game is manufactured to distract you from the low energy level (Hey! It’s time to stand up and sing now!).

Baseball, basketball, and football are so popular that many, many people know the rules of those games. Yes, there is controversy (betting, steroids, the NCAA, etc.), but the technical rules are generally understood (seemingly by everyone except me) and you can find lively, informed debate at watercoolers and in sports bars and broadcast booths around the country.

Swimming is pretty far behind the ball sports in terms of mainstream understanding, but intensive media coverage of the swimming events of the past two Olympics means your office mate—whose only previous definition of an IM was instant messaging in the 1990s—is now on a first-name basis with marquee swimmers: “Can’t wait to see Michael and Ryan go at it in the 400 IM!”

Not so much for open water, or more specifically, its lesser understood and gangly cousin, marathon swimming, which is currently experiencing growing pains thanks to the media coverage and subsequent controversy that surrounded Diana Nyad’s recent Cuba to Florida swim.

It didn’t take long for debate to brew around Nyad’s swim; within days of her staggering ashore in Florida, marathon swimming insiders began asking questions that touched off a lengthy, ongoing conversation about rules, transparency, and the very integrity of the sport. What bloomed online is a debate that most people don’t have any way of participating in because marathon swimming is not a watercooler topic in most places.

Still, most nonswimmers have heard of Nyad and her swim and comment frequently to us swimmers about it. It’s easy to see why her story has broad appeal: It touches on aging better, goal-setting, perseverance, and other inspirational themes that extend beyond the sport. And whether you know a lot or nothing about swimming, what she accomplished was impressive.

But marathon swimming is a sport with a rich history, traditions, and technical rules, just like other sports. The small but vocal group of experts—many of them accomplished marathon swimmers—who are asking questions about Nyad’s swim have the opportunity to educate journalists, so that journalists, in turn, can educate the public when they start asking questions around the watercooler: Are you allowed to touch the boat? What is the difference between a marathon swim and an exhibition swim? What is the difference between assisted and unassisted? When do we stand up and sing?

There will always be debate, and that’s a good thing, but knowledge is the key to informed debate. Let’s hope that Nyad’s swim and both its supporters and detractors bring a new level of understanding to a beautiful, sometimes brutal, sport that tests the limits of both physical and mental endurance in ways most people cannot imagine.

In this issue of SWIMMER, we’re excited to bring you profiles of two people who have been influential in helping us understand both marathon swimming and ball sports. Associate editor (and Triple Crown marathon swimmer) Elaine K. Howley writes about Michelle Macy’s amazing Ocean’s Seven feat in “Swimming Life” (Page 6) and frequent contributor Jim Harper writes about legendary sports journalist and Masters swimmer John Feinstein, who credits swimming with saving his life (Page 14). Reading his profile has made me want to read more about other sports. Feinstein is a gifted writer, and that’s something I can wrap my brain around, even if I don’t (yet) understand the seventh-inning stretch.

Updated July 1st, 2014 at 11:36 AM by Editor

Categories
    Staff Blogs
  10. Thursday, Oct. 31

by , October 31st, 2013 at 06:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Sewickley Y with Jim

500 various
    2 x 200 @ 3:30, I did backstroke kick
    4 x 100 @ 1:40, I did slide a fast 25 all kick
    8 x 50 DPS free @ 50
    16 x 25 @ :30
    odds = fast breast
    evens = EZ
    8 x 25 burst + cruise on Jimby interval
    -- he was doing 250 easy free with restricted breathing. when he hit the wall, I went.
    50 EZ

Total: 2350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a short workout today. I was tired from all the Rushall type sets of yesterday. Jim and I agreed that the masters recovery mode from USD is different. We also spent a lot of time chatting with our resident Hungarian Olympian and masters WR holder. He is a HIT/Rushall devotee. The bursts I was doing at the end were close to the 1:1 work to rest ratio that Rushall prescribes, but I didn't feel like I could do more than 4 in a row. Something to work on perhaps using his fail/skip method.

My lower left shoulder is really bugging me. I know it's a sign of a weak scapula. I really need to get back to the gym or at least do my RC/scap exercises more regularly.

15 swimmer stereotypes: http://swimswam.com/15-swimmer-stereotypes-fit/. Hmm, the only one that might fit me is the Flipper.

Updated October 31st, 2013 at 07:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:00-9:45am

by , October 31st, 2013 at 03:08 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I think I need to take a day off. Wait, I've been off work the past two days, but it doesn't seem to help. Maybe my diet needs to change a little more healthy or something. I may be dehydrated a little too...maybe less soda and more water/juice/Gatorade? Nah....that's not fun. But I'll think about it.

I just felt like blah today, and did a little...

500 Free
    (500/500)

Kick Set w/ short fins:

200 SDK on back @ 3:00
    150 SDK on back @ 2:30
    100 SDK on back @ 1:30
    50 SDK on back @ :30 (went :33)
    (500/1000)

5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:15, 1:10 made them all
    (500/1500)

100 EZ

4 x 25 Fly Fast @ :40

100 EZ

-------------------------------
    1800 Yards
  12. Sarasota YMCA Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout: 11/01/2013

by , October 31st, 2013 at 12:54 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 150 2:40
    4 X 50 descend 1:00
    2 X 100 kick 2:30
    Two Rounds.

1 X 75 build 1:20
    1 X 50 @ 100% 1:10
    2 X 100 cruise 2:00
    Four times through, choice.

8 X 25
    odd: blocks-sprint 25
    even: build to race finish

1 X 500 swim or pull

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy

3600M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 10/31/13: morning

by , October 31st, 2013 at 11:15 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill/ 4 x 50 b/c on :60

2 x
    - 4 x 125 on 1:50 (25 K, 75 swim, 25 Pull) with snorkel
    - 100 drill

2 x
    - 4 x 50 Quarters Strong Fr on :45
    - 100 bk
    (Solo/Rec/2600 yds/50 min)
    ----------------------------
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 57 - Thursday

by , October 31st, 2013 at 09:22 AM (After a long rest)
    This has been a strange week sleep wise. I almost overslept this morning by hitting snooze on my alarm" I don't recall doing it but it put me back 10 mins right out of the gate. I then had a slight delay due to rain and slick roads so arrived a little later than normal. When I finally got on deck I was also in slow motion mode and struggled to get going during the warmup. I finally got going on the main set and overall felt much better than yesterday. One more really long workout tomorrow and we will be through this cycle. I don't know what the plan is for Saturday in terms of working out before the meet and I would not be surprised if I was asked to practice ahead of the meet.

Todays workout was long.

Warm up
    8X100 with snorkel on 1.20

Main set
    3x1000 on 11.30 descend 1-3 pull with paddles
    12x100 swim with fins on 1.02.5

Warm down
    300 easy

Total 5300scy

the warmup Felt tough but I gradually descended as I warmed up from 1.15 to 1.07. The first 1000 continued to feel tough and I touched in 11.05. I was worried that the remaining 2x1000s were going to suck, but on the second one I finally started to feel ok and by the end of the last one felt pretty good. On number 2 I went 10.50 and the last one I went 10.40. These we quicker than I went on a similar set before nationals and I was pleased with these especially given how I felt at the beginning. The 100s with fins was interesting and I held 1min throughout.

Updated October 31st, 2013 at 09:45 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Right shoulder still a pain but we muddle thru as usual

by , October 31st, 2013 at 08:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I need to be more diligent on my trigger point therapy with my right shoulder. Today was a good day over all but I could feel both my lower back and right shoulder. Getting old stinks!

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    250 torque drill w/paddles & snorkle really focus on getting a good pull
    250 fly scull drill w/monofin loosen up my back here
    10x50@1:00 fly w/monofin I love how the fin keeps my closer to the water
    3x200@3:00 free w/paddles & bouy went 2:51, 2:48, 2:41
    200 free EZ w/snorkle
    200 free kick w/zoomers

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 10/30/13: noon and evening

by , October 30th, 2013 at 11:40 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Morning: 200 FR/200 IM drill/4 x 50 b/c on :60

Kick swim pull with snorkel (board/AP/buoy middle 100 hard)
    050 100 200
    100 150 300
    050 100 200

6 x 100 on 1:30
    - odds = IM, evens = FR

100 Loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2550 yds/45 min)
    -----------------------------
    A wanted to swim for a longer period of time, but needed to get out early to bring Emma for her driver's license test (she passed ). We went to Chilli's to celebrate (if it's good enough for Michael Scott, it surely is for Michael Scott Leake). With a full stomach, I went in for a duoble:

100 FR/200 Bk drill/100 IM drill/100 drill

3 x
    - 4 x 75 on 1:00
    - 50 ick on 1:15
    - 50 AFAP on :45 (:29, :27, :28)
    - 100 float on 2:30

150 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2150 yds/40 min)
    Good main set, despite some stomach stitches.
    Got home and carved a #pumpkinswimmer:

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. 10|30|13 SCM

by , October 30th, 2013 at 10:17 PM (Blog)
    10 x 50 on about 1:20 dive from side free

4 x 25 on 2 dive from side flutter kick
    18 -19

10 x 25 on 2 dive from side free

Left shoulder loose again - cause is trying to be streamlined while diving

Drylands accomplished which included plyometric depth jumps, body weight resistance stuff and a set of 50 and 100 meter sprints
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wednesday 10/30/13

Wednesday 10/30

PM only SCY

3x200 @ :10 rest
    #1 - FR
    #2 - I.M. Drill
    #3 - FR

6x75 @ 1:15 25 FR w/ 12.5 under H2O kick/25 FR swim/25 BK w/ 12.5 under H2O kick
    4x125 @ 1:50 25 S-line kick/100 FR swim w/ snorkel
    8x50 @ :55 25 drill/25 swim I.M.O.
    8x25 @ :30 build/FAST (last 2 EZ)

4x200 @ 5:00 broken 100/ :10 rest/100
    #1 - FR (1:55.5)
    #2 - FR (1:57.0)
    #3 - FL (2:07.2)
    #4 - FR (2:01.1)

4x100 @ 1:30 AE
    3x200 @ 3:00 pull w/ buoy + paddles 25 swim/25 breathing 3-2-1-0 times by 25

6x
    25 @ :30 DPS
    50 @ 1:00 build
    75 @ 1:30 FAST
    RD 1,2,4,5 - FR swim
    RD 3,6 - FR kick w/ board ALL FAST

3x100 @ :20 rest 25 FAST FR w/ blowout @ start/75 EZ

150 EZ

Total: 5300

Back in Cincinnati for a wedding so I trained today with my old club team, the Blue Ash YMCA. Not a bad practice, but the 200s were rough because we got no warm down in between distances. We had to just stand around and let the lactic acid bake.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:00-9:50am & 12:15-1:00pm

by , October 30th, 2013 at 06:15 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Kind of a double, or an extended workout, or a 2 hour "masters minute", or whatever you want to call it. Two completely different types of workouts though, which was good. I really enjoyed the 2nd one, and it's something I need to do more of when I can too.

My house lost power very early this morning, so I was up and about making sure the kids were warm, got McD's breakfast for everyone so they could have a hot meal as well. We have electric heat in this old house, so it was getting kinda cold. The school is just down the road from us, so I went to check if they had school going, and they had partial power, so the principal said they were going to do what they could, but he said bring the kids down so they can be warm. I then took my youngest over to my parents house for some heat, and so she could visit them. I left my mother-in-law at home. She didn't want to leave. OK, fine with me...let her freeze.
    :devilchildJames:

9:00 workout (kinda blah feeling thru this):

Warmup:
    500 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    400 IM Drill
    (1100/1100)

8 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:55s)
    (400/1500)

5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20
    6 x 75 Free Pull @ 1:00
    7 x 50 Free Pull @ :40
    8 x 25 Free Pull @ :20
    (1500/3000)

100 EZ and out
    ------------------
    3100 Yards

It was good for the aerobic part, but that's all I've really been doing lately, so I decided to go back later during the lunchtime swim. My power had been restored at this point, so my mother-in-law wasn't a popsicle anymore.

12:15pm workout:

Since I was still pretty much warmed up, I just did a quick warmup, and got right to it. My YMCA swim buddy Jeff was there, so he and I did this together, though Jeff wasn't really liking it the same as me.

200 Free

5 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:30 (went 1:15s)
    (700/700)

Main Set:

5 x 100 Free Best Avg. @ 3:00
    went 1:01, 1:00, 1:00, 1:00, 1:01
    (500/1200)

I was surprised by the first one, because I just haven't been this fast in practice since I was swimming with Velocity last year. By the 4th one, I began to die around the 75, but managed to keep the legs moving to finish strong. The 5th one...OWWWWwwww.
    Jeff managed to go a 1:14 on the first one, which he said is his best 100 time, and after that went downhill quickly, but he at least did the whole set with me.

I did one final 50, giving Jeff a :10 lead, and tried to run him down. Couldn't quite catch him though. He did a :33, and I was :27.

Finished off with a lot of talking, and did a cooldown 50 of superslow perfect stroke swimming that took 2 minutes to complete.

1300 Yards

Total for the Day - 4400 Yards (still not a complete Tom Patterson workout)
  20. Mastersized Rushall, Wed., Oct. 30

by , October 30th, 2013 at 04:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 50: 3 scull, 3 caterillar, 3 single arm fly, 1 EZ
    50 DAB
    6 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

10 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

The rest of the workout (save for chute work) was mastersized Rushall. The Rushall sets as written are simply not doable for this 52 year old drop dead sprinter. Even if I was in splendid aerobic shape, I cannot imagine ever being able to do AFAP and 100 race pace work on a 1:1 ratio, especially with all my UW work. (Plus, 1:1 ratios are not even desirable IMO for sprinting, which is why I think Rushall is more for mid-D anyway)). However, I liked the combo of anaerobic + aerobic work these sets entailed.

I used fins today as my left shoulder is cranky, probably from my shirking of RC work.

3 x (10 x 25 @ 100 pace or a tad faster) @ :40
    R1 = fly, held 11s + 100 EZ
    R2 = breast, held 13 highs + 100 EZ
    R3 = free, held 11s + 150 EZ

20 x 25 flutter kick w/fins, AFAP to 15m and then cruise @ :30
    100 EZ

6 x 25 w/chute
    100 EZ

Total: 3800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm pretty wiped out from that workout. There were 1200 yards of AFAP or 100 race pace work. That's way above my usual total. I guess that's the point of the Rushall method -- you get more reps at race pace.

Jim sent me a PDF doc of the study I referred to yesterday. I'm a luddite and have no idea how to attach it here. It is in the Journal of Swimming, Vol 14, Fall 2000.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts