View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Fructose and Diabetes

A recent article in the March 2015 online edition of the Mayo Clinic Proceedings looked at data from both animal and human studies and found that added sugars (e.g., sucrose and high fructose corn syrup) contribute to the development of diabetes and related problems, including cardiovascular disease. Sucrose consists of a molecule of glucose and a molecule of fructose. The authors implicate the fructose molecule. The point out that the same associations are not found to the same extent with glucose and starchy foods per se. They point out that the World Health Organization recommends no more than 5% of one's daily energy intake come from added sugars. The US Institute of Medicine allows up to 25% of calories from added sugars. It is worth noting that the sugar lobby exerts enormous pressure on US organizations making dietary recommendations. Eating unprocessed or whole foods eliminates most added su
    gars. If you haven't seen the film Fed Up , I would highly recommend it. The filmmakers encouraged viewers to try one week without any added sugars. It is much more difficult than you'd think!
    --Jessica Seaton, DC
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Week 133 - Saturday

by , April 18th, 2015 at 12:51 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a solid night of sleep but when I woke up my wife was not in bed and I later found out we had bad thunderstorms which our dogs did not do so well with. My wife spent most of the night in the guest room trying to calm the dogs while letting me sleep. She is a trooper.

The pool was setup LCM. Today we really hit our taper and the yardage was majorly down from earlier this week.

500 free
    8x100 done as 50 back kick, 50 back on 2mins
    100 easy
    4x100 on 2:15 done at 400 race pace
    8x50 drill on 1min
    8x25 done as open, close, easy, fast on :40
    100 easy
    Hot tub for 15minutes

I got a little sluggish on the kick and stroke set but not bad. On the race pace set I went 1:04,1:04,1:03,1:03 and felt great, especially the last two where I felt strong the whole way. Finally I am starting to feel good. The hot tub at the end felt great to stretch out in the hot water. Another week of rest and I believe I am going to be ready.

Updated April 18th, 2015 at 06:19 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Thursday-Friday, April 16-17

by , April 17th, 2015 at 04:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Thursday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ LA Fitness

Did 3200 with aerobic and easy swimming

Friday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

I was a little disappointed that it wasn't long course, as it often is on Fridays ...

Warm up:

600 various
    100 scull
    100 fly drill
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

60 x 25 @ :30
    odds = fly w/fins @ 100 pace (all 12s)
    evens = EZ
    200 EZ at end

Tried to do a fast 100 pace 50 kick. The body did not cooperate

7 x 50 free w/paddles @ 200 pace @ 1:00
    50 EZ

4 x 100 EZ backstroke kick
    50 EZ

Total: 3400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally got myself back to the pool after a few days off. I'm still pretty tired and not sleeping well. I was pretty insomniac-ish with the hives and medication, and my body doesn't seem to want to go back to normal. I'm looking forward to a lazy weekend with Mr. Fort and Lil Fort in Boston. The weather does not look great for the marathon --- rain and high winds.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout 04/20/2015

by , April 17th, 2015 at 03:51 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    Taper workout
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:30
    4 X 150 2:45
    4 X 50 faster 1:10

4 X 200 4:15
    100 swim/100 kick

8 X 100 2:15
    Pull free or swim IM

1 X 400 free or 1 X 300 IM
    Focus on great turns and streamlines

SCY
    10 X 2odd: build to race finish
    even: blocks/25 sprint

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 133 - Friday

by , April 17th, 2015 at 01:39 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep but was sore across my shoulders when I woke up. Perhaps it was my subconscious swimming long course in my sleep; my wife said I was swimming all night

Today was setup long course and we did some long slow swimming with some short burst swims and starts and relay starts at the end. Today was a good workout and I am starting to feel pretty good in the water. Tom did say he wanted to do some broken swims on Monday which I am not looking forward to and suspect I may have to play the masters card!!

Warm up
    500 free with snorkel
    400 free with snorkel
    300 free with snorkel
    200 free with snorkel
    100 free with snorkel
    all on 1:40 base holding 1:15ish pace.

Main sets
    8x100 kick on 2:10 with odds at best average pace and evens just make.
    200 easy
    6x50 on 1:30 done as 25 easy, 25 as drag strip 25. Odds with a turn, even to a hand finish
    100 easy
    4 starts from blocks to 25
    4 relay starts to 25

Warm down
    100 easy

I was holding 1:35-1:37 on the best average kick and about 2mins on the just make it. On the 50s I was cruising the first 25 and felt good then kicking horizontally in place(paddling back with arms while kicking) and a 25 blast. These felt awesome(tiring, but awesome). The first 4 starts I felt twisted but on the relay starts I felt better. Overall I am still in the achy phase of my taper but feeling better in the water and my feel at pace is getting there. One more week!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Rough one and I pushed

by , April 17th, 2015 at 08:39 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This was a tough LCM one.

500 free
    300 free as 50 kick/50 drill/50 swim
    200 free pull w/paddles & bouy
    100 EZ
    4x100@1:40 free w/paddles & bouy
    300 free every 3rd 25 fly
    8x50@:50 free w/paddles & bouy
    300 free every 3rd 25 back
    16x25@:25 odds free evens fly
    300 free EZ
    2x150 free

3500 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 133 - Thursday

by , April 16th, 2015 at 10:54 PM (After a long rest)
    I slept in again this morning and went for an shorter workout. I felt a little sluggish and heavy during the first part of the workout but loosened up and at the end felt half way decent.

400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    4x4x25 done as open, close, easy, fast with fins on :40
    100 easy
    50 fast from a push
    250 easy alternating easy back and easy free by 25

on the fast 25 with fins I saw :10s and I felt like I was on top of the water. It felt good. On the fast 50 I went a :24 low from a push and despite not feeling any easy speed I was very happy with the time. I am really looking forward to our team dinner on Saturday and then some rest and sleep early next week. Hard to believe my nationals starts next Friday.

Friday: 200 free, 100 back and men's 45+ medley relay
    Saturday: 500 free, 200 back, and men's 45+ free relay
    Sunday: 100 free, 50 back
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout 04/17/2015

by , April 16th, 2015 at 01:38 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    TAPER WORKOUT
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:30. 3:30
    2 X 100 1:50 1:40
    4 X 50 faster 1:10 1:00
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    6 X 50 kick--25 fast/25 easy-- 1:20
    1 x 100 easy swim

6 x 100 free 2:30
    #1 25 fast/75 easy
    #2 50 fast/50 easy
    #3 75 fast/25 easy
    #4 easy
    #5 100 fast
    #6 easy

6 x 100 best stroke 3:00
    Same pattern as above

SCY
    5 x 50 blocks
    25 sprint and turn/easy return

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Another easy day I thought

by , April 16th, 2015 at 08:46 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Tried for an easy day because tomorrow is going to be try to keep up with the guys.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    10x50@:50 free w/paddles & bouy
    200 torque drill w/paddles, snorkel & bouy
    200 angel arm fly w/snorkel
    200 fly scull drill w/zoomers
    200 1 arm fly
    200 fly in 3:35
    500 free EZ

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 04/15/15: morning

by , April 15th, 2015 at 03:47 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    My plans for a swim were dashed on Monday as I cut my left pinky finger while opening the windows in the bedroom (thus continuing my usual oddball injury in the weeks before a swim). I was able to bandage it up really well this morning for a quick dip ...

200 free/200 back
    3 x (100 kick into 100 DPS)
    4 x 50 (25 sprint IMO into 25 easy)
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1400 yds/35 min)
    ---------------------------------

I'll be dry tomorrow as I take the boys and some of the other exchange students to visit Howe Caverns about two hours from home. I went as a kid, and also a chaperon 15 years ago or so. Should be a fun adventure!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Wed., April 15

by , April 15th, 2015 at 03:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I took a full two days off on Monday and Tuesday and did NOTHING. This is highly unusual for me. Can't remember the last time that happened ... But I haven't had a single hive today and am feeling a little better. Still working on catching up on some sleep.

Today, I went to what I thought would be a heated vinyasa flow class. Instead, the instructor treated us to an Ashtanga Rocket class. I liked it so much better -- lots of handstands, forearm handstands, headstands, splits, etc. Here's a description: http://hollywoodpoweryoga.com/blog/2...is-rocket-yoga

I've decided not to go to nationals. I'm not feeling amped to fly 2000 miles to compete right now. And Mr. Fort is having a procedure late next week after Boston. He had some bad blood work, which we hope is due to his marathon training. So I want to be here for that, and that's much more important. I will enjoy following along and seeing how my RAM teammates fare. I feel a little bad about the empty lanes in my heats since it's too late to scratch ... I wish there were more SCY meets in late May; I'd consider popping in to one. I might try to get a long course meet in before going on vacation on June 26. But, as chowmi says, long course is a big commitment.
    Categories
    Yoga
  12. Week 133 - Wednesday

by , April 15th, 2015 at 02:35 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another solid night of sleep but woke up like I had been snoring(the drool is the give away sign). I know, gross, but that was my reality!

I once again felt much better in the water and each day I seem to be getting my strength back and with the week off work next week I am thinking I may hit my taper perfectly for Nationals. That's not what I was thinking 3-4 weeks ago or even last week, but its funny how just a little rest with no drylands or weights can make a big difference. We are finally backing off on yardage but I am looking forward to some 2k workouts between now and next Friday.

Warm up
    4x100 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    8x100 kick on 2mins
    50 easy
    8x50 on 1:15 swum at 200 race pace
    50 easy
    2x400 IM done as easy swimming with 1 min between IM's

Warm down
    8x50 perfect stroke on 1min

I cruised the 100s kick and held 1:25-1:28s. On the 50s I started out at 25 and then held 26s on the rest. These were pretty high tempo and by no means easy speed however I felt strong throughout. This was the first time I have felt strong on a race pace set for about a month.

I think Tom threw in the 2x400 IM's because he wanted some aerobic work but knew I would swim these easy as opposed to a free set where I tend to be my own worst enemy. I did fly drill and then swam easy back, breast and free.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout 04/16/2015

by , April 15th, 2015 at 01:19 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    YMCA Nationals starts three weeks from today. We will begin our taper with this workout. There may be times when we are swimming some LC and some SC.

LCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 250 4:45 4:15
    1 X 150 2:45 2:30
    1 X 100 1:45 --
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

8 x 100 free 2:15
    Swim 1-6 @ 80/90%
    #7 @ 100%
    #8 is easy

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    6 X 50 kick 1:20
    1 x 100 easy swim

8 X 50 1:30
    Stroke/choice
    swim @ 80/90%
    IM'ers: 2 fly/2 back/2 breast/2 choice

SCY
    8 X 25
    odd: build to race finish
    even: blocks/sprint 20 yards

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. A Backstroke kind of day

by , April 15th, 2015 at 11:41 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Wanted to take it easy today.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    5x100@1:45 as 50 free/50 back w/paddles
    5x100@2:00 free to back
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    5x100@2:00 free w/snorkle

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Listing your ALTS program on the USMS Website

by , April 15th, 2015 at 01:00 AM (Questions from Coaches)
    Q: Can I list my Adult Learn-to-Swim (ALTS) program on the USMS website?

A: Yes. USMS strongly encourages you to list your ALTS program as a community resource for adults researching swimming lesson options. Individuals will be able to search your listing by geography and proximity to your program's zip code.

To add your program, visit the USMS.org website's Places to Swim page and click on the region on the map where your program is located. This will direct you to a listing of pools your Local Masters Swimming Committee. Make a note of the LMSC you'll be affiliated with, as the LMSC is the local organizing subsidiary of USMS.

Click the Add a Place to Swim link on the lefthand side; this will take you to a page where you can enter the information about your ALTS program.

• Your name and email address must be entered in the first two fields, but this information will not be published. The USMS database administrator needs your contact information if there are questions about your listing. Only the contact information you enter in the Contact Information or Miscellaneous fields will be published with your listing.
    • Use the drop-down feature to find and select your LMSC.
    • In the optional fields for USMS Club Name and USMS Club Abbreviation, enter your club's information as it appears in your official USMS club registration.
    • If you have a registered USMS program listed on the Places to Swim page, you may add a separate listing for your ALTS program. Separate listings may be entered for multiple locations offering your ALTS program.
    • In the LapSwim/Workout Times or Miscellaneous fields, enter the times when you'll be offering swim lessons.
    • If you have a website, enter the link in the Website field.
    • In the Map URL field, enter a link for your facility's location. Use an online map service such as Google Maps or Yahoo Maps to generate this URL.
    • In the Miscellaneous field, you can add up to 255 characters worth of specific information about your ALTS program, such as:
      • Instructors and their credentials. If the instructors are USMS-certified ALTS instructors or hold other certifications, list this information. If instructors have special talents, such as working with fearful swimmers, add it to the instructor's bio.
      • Lesson schedule.
      • Cost.
      • Invitation. Invite the new student to call and speak with you or a representative of your program. Many adults need to know they will be learning from somebody who exhibits empathy, trustworthiness, and friendliness. You may want to also consider offering the option for potential students to meet with the instructor prior to scheduling their first lesson; this may help fearful students feel more comfortable.

Once all the fields are filled in, click the "submit new listing" button. Your information will be sent to the USMS database administrator for review. After the review process, which normally takes less than 24 hours, your listing will appear on the Places to Swim page. If you need to change or update any of your information, click on the "Modify" link located below your listing.

Updated June 12th, 2015 at 03:24 PM by Editor

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Mixed Relays

by , April 15th, 2015 at 01:00 AM (Rules Committee Blog)
    The Coach Asks: I have always been under the impression that when only a mixed relay is offered for a particular distance and stroke, then a swimmer can swim one relay but it can be either a mixed relay or a single-gender relay. So one could swim a valid men's 200 free relay during the mixed 200 free relay event on the program, as long as the men's 200 free relay isn't also a separate event. Is that correct?

Answer: No. If only a mixed relay is offered at a meet, a single-gender relay cannot compete during that event for an official time. For example, a men's 200 free relay competing during a 200 mixed free relay would be disqualified for the following reasons:
    • A mixed relay is defined in the rules as follows, "Mixed relays shall consist of two men and two women who may swim in any order." (101.7.3G)
    • The mixed free relay is a separate event from the single-gender free relays. (102.5 and 102.9.8)

Kathy Casey
  17. 4|14|15 LCM and a run

LCM

WARMUP
    500 of drills and fr

SPRINT
    4 x 50 fr on 3:00, with fins, about 95%

• breathed right every 4
    • breathed left every 4
    • 2 x with snorkel
    • were 28 - 29's

KICK
    6 x 50 on 2:00

• dolphin kick with board / snorkel
    • flutter kick with board / snorkel
    • dolphin kick on left side with snorkel
    • dolphin kick on right side with snorkel
    • dolphin kick on left side (bottom arm front /upper arm aft) while breathing
    • dolphin kick on right side (bottom arm front /upper arm aft) while breathing

Dolphin kicking LCM without fins is a beast for me. But I need to get good at them because I am almost as fast from block, not kicking at all lol

Run (3rd run over a half mile in 6 months):

1.6miles in 12:02

Recently noted that my left foot's arch almost touches ground. My right foot is the opposite. One of the legs is definitely longer, I think it's my left, but my left foot seems to be the oddball. It was the foot that was envenomated from a triple strike by a copperhead several yrs ago, it also has a ganglion cyst under the arch, and oddly, it just may have a more propulsive kick, even with a weaker leg lol. Anyhow, I bought some arch supportive shoes, using them this run (had been wearing those light naturalist shoes that strengthen the feet, and have minimal padding or support) and took off 21 seconds from my 2nd mid distance run (4|13), but the 2nd run was 10 sec faster than the first one (4|9).

Updated April 14th, 2015 at 10:48 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Week 133 - Tuesday

by , April 14th, 2015 at 07:30 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a massage last night and felt like mush when I was done. I was awesome.

I slept well and since I have stopped my dry lands I had an extra 30 minutes of sleep today. I woke feeling good.

Today I did an easy swim with a few get my heart rate up sets.

4x100 free with snorkel on 1:30
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    16x25 on :40 open, close, easy, fast
    8x50 with fins done as 25 underwater on back fast, 25 back easy on 1min
    100 easy
    50 fast with fins
    100 easy

I went :21 on the 50 with fins from a push and messed up the turn. I felt much better today and suspect with another week of rest I am going to be ready to swim fast at Nationals. A week ago I was feeling hideous and it's been like night and day.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout 04/15/2015

by , April 14th, 2015 at 12:50 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    3 X 100 1:50
    1 X 200 3:30
    3 X 100 1:45
    1 X 300 5:00
    3 X 100 1:40
    1 X 400 negative split

4 X 150 kick 3:30
    Last 50 fast

12 X 50 1:15
    odd: easy even: fast--choice

8 X 150 2:30
    Swim or pull.
    Build to 100/last 50 fast
    #8 swim is your swim down//easy

4200M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Much better swim today

by , April 14th, 2015 at 08:16 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Intended to swim easy today but swam much better than expected.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    10x100@1:30 free w/paddles & bouy went 1:26, 1:26, 1:25, 1:24, 1:23, 1:22, 1:21, 1:20, 1:19, 1:19 talk about a descending set that was unintentional
    500 free kick w/zoomers fast
    200 1 arm fly
    200 free w/snorkle
    100 back EZ

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts