View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 4500 yards

by , November 17th, 2013 at 09:51 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Scotty and I did the 80 x 25 on :45 workout again... I wasn't swimming as fast today because of yesterday's 4000, so was just happy to get through it and have a good bit of up-tempo swimming. We modified it going in, swimming a 200 recovery between strokes and then dropping the interval to :30 for the freestyle 25s, to get it done with.

WU (1100):
    200 fr/pull
    200 bk/pull
    200 br
    100 fr
    100 bk
    4 x 50 bk/fr drill
    100 IM (1:37)

MS (2700)
    20 x 25 fly on :45
    200 recovery
    20 x 25 bk on :45
    100 recovery (bathroom break)
    20 x 25 br on :45
    200 recovery
    20 x 25 fr on :30
    200 recovery

400 IM off the blocks (6:38-:39)

CD: 300 EZ swimming

4500 SCY total.

The 400 IM off the blocks was not as good as the one I did a couple of weeks ago, but I was pretty beat from going 4000+ two days in a row.

Going to sign up for the meet sometime this week... need to do conversions form SCY to figure out what my SCM seed times should be.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Inaugural Mudhole Y Meet, Nov. 17

by , November 17th, 2013 at 06:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I ventured out to the Greensburg Y in Greensburg PA for my first ever Y league meet. Four of my Sewickley teammates were there (see below) and I met lots of other Y meet swimmers. Great fun had by all. And what a food and drink spread! Here's how it went:

25 back, 12.38

I was lucky I got to swim this event. My entry went missing. I was scheduled to swim in heat 7 (the slowest heat) with a NT. But I was in heat 1 of the very next event. My teammate Ben Mayhew graciously switched spots with me so that I could swim in heat 1 (they swim fastest to slowest here), which is where I had seeded myself anyway. I had a little gridge going with Coach Bill. (Jim video'd) But I handily beat all the boys in this race! I went a 13.0 in the Sprint Classic, so this time was really flying. I had to triple check to make sure it was correct. Perfect breakout and perfect finish (see photo below). I thought I might be past the 15, but I took the same number of strokes as usual. 5+ minutes rest until ...

100 breast #1, slip & fall; 100 breast #2, 1:15.2

I knew the plastic blocks were slippery from warm up, but I took a really ignoble spill here. I pushed off, slipped and landed sideways curled up in the water. That has never happened to me before! So I will now be forever wary of plastic blocks. I decided to put my shammy towel on the blocks for the rest of my races. I had been in heat 1, but they slipped me into heat 4 -- a benefit of Y meets that probably wouldn't happen at a USMS meet. Had to swim by myself though. I was still discombobulated from the spill (hip hurt) and can't say I gave it 100%. But given that I did not rest at all for this meet, this is a very solid time for me. I went a 1:15.0 on a few days rest last year. Even though I wasn't really pushing it, my legs were hurting the last length. Pic below shows my head needs to be further down. I wish this time counted for USMS, but c'est la vie.

50 breast, 34.0

Didn't have much rest after the 100 breast, but gave it a go. I was doing fine, but then really tightened up the last 10 yards and had a major glide into the finish. As a non-breaststroker, I never really know when to glide vs. short stroke. This is much slower than I went at the Sprint Classic (33.1) , but that's how it goes. Technical errors and the pool was obviously much worse too. Few heats of rest and then ...

25 fly, 12.3

This was decent, though .3 slower than the Sprint Classic (where I had a perfect race). Had a bad breakout again -- too deep and it was slow. Wish I could fix this. Finished second. But prevailed in my gridge race against my other teammate John (who is really a 200 flyer).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All in all a fun experience and what sprinter couldn't help but be psyched by the 25s! I wish there had been a place to warm down; hit the showers instead. I did set 4 Y records. I may swim in the Y meet at the Sewickley Y on Dec. 1. Tuckered out now! I need to conjure up some ideas for the HIT forum.

Updated November 17th, 2013 at 07:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1471769_763685306982117_1920878894_n.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	8107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1426278_763686096982038_2079636132_n.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	8108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1234943_763683163648998_2124709079_n.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	8106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1466253_763684620315519_272369562_n.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	8109  
  3. 11|17|13 SCM

by , November 17th, 2013 at 04:55 PM (Blog)
    2 x 50 easy sprint tapered to easy swim

16 x 15M on 1:00 - 5:00 DFS free with 3-4 sprint strokes
    just 7 - 9 second high voltage efforts

3 x 50 on 2:00 WFP
    25 + turn hypoxic, breathe 4, 3 and 2 respectively back

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Saturday, November 16, 2013 Trifecta Meet Results

by , November 17th, 2013 at 02:36 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I knew this was going to be a rough and tiring meet for me for many reasons. I had worked the previous 23 days in a row, with about 1/4 of those days being 12 hour days as well. Friday prior to the meet was one of those 12s, but luckily it started early and was done at 11:00pm.
    Got to bed maybe around 1:00am, and the alarm clock at 7:00am was wayyyyy too early for me. Got the kids rounded up, made some PB&Js, somehow was able to get my wife to come along too, and got rolling down the road for the 3 1/2 hour trip to Moscow, ID. We saw our first snow of the year, right around Pullman and Moscow where the elevation is 2500+
    2nd hard part of the day was my event schedule, which is nothing new, but in combo with my work, and "lack of training", I knew it would be tough. Yeah, I swim 5 or so times a week, but the minimal yardage and stuff I knew wasn't enough to be able to power through all the events like what is ideal. I had my game plan set though, and was focused mostly on the 200 Fly, and to have fun with the other ones.

I was in the 3rd heat of the 1650 (3 heats is rare!!), with one of them being 40 minutes, and the other one about 30 minutes. I didn't bother warming up in the general warmup prior to the race. I got in about 100 yards in the warmdown area, which was a nice 86+ degrees...more of a hot tub. Mainly to get my suit tied tight, and give my shoulders a little rotation before the race actually started. The racing pool was a great 79/80 degrees though.

I don't have actual splits yet, hopefully they'll arrive on email soon so I can begin processing the results. The meet ran from 1:00-who knows what time. I left at 6:30pm, and they still had 100 Breast, 200 Back, 50 Free, and 500 Frees to go (at least another 50-60 minutes). They had lots of breaks, and other issues that seemed to drag on. Plus we have quite a few senior swimmers (81, 85, 91, 92) that take longer than me to finish their races, so the timeline was a bit stretched out. Even with me leaving out of town by 7:00, I didn't get home till 10:30pm, which I was wide awake for giving my normal working hours at my job.

1650 Free - 18:56.xx
    My idea on this was to start out really easy and treat the event like a warmup. For the first 300 or so I did this, and there was a "new to our area" masters swimmer right next to me, a guy in his early 40s. He was hugged right up to the laneline, drafting me hard, so I wanted to see if he was ready to go. On the 4th 100 I accelerated a bit and he tried to stick with me, doing ok. On the 5th 100, I came off the wall with a couple dolphins and kicked in the afterburners getting myself up to "race pace". Not exactly my Indy Nationals race pace, but my pace for today...enough that I knew I could handle. I was able to maintain pretty well, though I know I felt a little lull in the swim around 1100-1200 or so. I checked the clock a few times though the swim, and knew I was going to be pretty close to the 19:00 mark based on my quick math in my head, so I picked it up in the last 300 to be sure I'd be under. Good thing, because it was closer than I thought. This was a really good swim...only 1 minute, 10 seconds slower than my swim at Indy last spring.
    My splits from looking at the clock were roughly 5:35/5:40 at the 500, and 11:20/11:25 at the 1000. There was a small running clock on the opposite wall of the large timeclock that matches the time, so it was nice to see after I came off the turns.

50 Free leadoff in the 200 Free Relay - 24.56
    This happened right after a 10 minute warmup break, which doing anything that close to a 1650 is just tough. I led off next to the team from Central Washington University...got beat of course (24.0) because any kid fresh out of high school can still do a 50. Central Washington lost their college swim team a while ago, and they started a masters club a few years back to use as a team. It's nice to see year to year what kind of new talent they bring to the races.

400 IM - 5:08.73 (entirely cooldown pace)
    This literally was right after the relay, and I was in no mood to try to go fast. I got through the fly easily, probably 1:03ish, and then shut it down from there, cruising the next 300. Felt much better afterward. Had I tried to race this, I would've died a horrible death somewhere in the middle.

100 Fly - 58.32
    Of all my races, this was going to be my real challenge with others. I was seeded 2nd to an 18 year old college kid (57.1 to 58.0 entry times). We started off fine, somehow I jammed my middle finger on the 25 turn, it still hurts today, and also the arch of my left foot cramped as I pushed off the 25 turn. I just tried to power on, and the cramp sort of went away. I was gaining on the boy (or thought I was) on the 3rd length, but couldn't pull it out on the final length. I don't like to get beat, but this one I couldn't help too much.
    Video

200 Fly - 2:11.16
    splits from timing it off the video were 28.0, 1:01.1 (33.1), 1:36.0 (34.9), 2:11.1 (35.1)
    I really wanted to have a good showing in this one. Training well or not, tired or not, I was going to give it all I had on this race. I guess I'll be a 200 Flyer this year. It's easier to train for than the 1650 or 400 IM...and is easier mentally than the 200 Free. I'm a little weird, huh?
    Video

50 Back on 200 Medley Relay leadoff: 30.9
    I just worked the SDKs off the walls and stretched out the swim. I had the 50 Fly coming up right afterward...and like any sprinter, I didn't want to wear myself out.
    It was nice having 3 other guys from my workout group there so we could do a couple relays. in the video is myself, Kurt (60), then Jack (81), and Rick (60). Many of you ask why I did back instead of fly? Jack wanted to do the fly rather than the back. His choice...not mine. Respect your elders.
    Video

50 Fly - 26.25
    This was just all out speed. SDKed about halfway down the pool, 1 breath. Had a bit of a glide in finding the wall at the turn, but came off quick with good underwaters kicks. 2 breaths back and hit the finish strong. Fastest I've been in a while, and the first 50 I've done outside of Wenatchee in a while. I like to get my money's worth on away trips for meets.
    Video

Well, these events concluded the "Combo Trifecta" - combo of the Brute Squad Tri, and the Butterfly Tri. They gave out award to those who completed the 3 distances of any stroke, or the brute squad, or the combo that about 8-10 people did.
  5. Back on the blog...

by , November 16th, 2013 at 09:16 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Wow, it's been a month since I've had a chance to blog any of my workouts. Things have been so busy that I've had barely enough time to get in the workouts, much less sit down to write about them. My goals have changed a lot since I last wrote... basically, just being realistic about what I can get done as I go through a particularly stressful and busy stretch with work and home.

Work has been nuts; taking on the extra class this fall for adjunct pay is only making a slight dent in the income lost from budget cuts and the fact that one of my summer school classes didn't meet minimum enrollment and was cancelled (more time to swim in July and August, but tough to make bills in September). Haven't had to take on a part time job outside of school yet, but that may be coming here pretty soon. I'm also going back out on the academic job market for the first time in 14 years, see if I can land a job at a university that is not projected to be broke in the next two years. But making applications has been a huge drain on my time in the last month. Hope it comes to something.

This is Anthony's last year at home and so we have been trying to enjoy him and help him with all the college application stuff... while catching as many of his activities. I think it's somewhat weird that he and I are both applying to colleges, though in different capacities, at the same time. He finished up a busy cross country season at the end of October and we are super proud of him. He finally earned his varsity letter and was even one of the captains of the team. The team banquet was last Thursday night and the coaches had such nice things to say about him. And if taking the ACT, a full load of advanced classes, running XC, and trying to finish up his college applications isn't enough... he also finished his eagle scout service project and is turning in the paperwork for that. He'll be our second eagle scout in the family, which is pretty cool, but getting the project done was crazy... and although Anthony got lots of volunteers to help him out, for his mother and me it was still like having an additional part-time job on the weekends for about 3-4 weeks there in September and October.

The swimming has been sporadic. Where I averaged 6-7 swims a week for most of the year, the last month I have only gotten in 4-5 per week. GTD is not happy with me. I'm now 10 miles behind my goal pace. At 472 miles, though, I still feel pretty good about the year... and though I may not reach 550 (who knows? I could pull a comeback) I will certainly get to 500 for the second straight year. And the rest might be doing me good now anyway...

A couple of Sundays ago I swam a 400 IM of the blocks at the end of a really hard workout (80 x 25, 20 of each stroke) with Scotty. I PR'd by 9 seconds with a 6:33. And my backstroke is getting a lot better... when I have gotten in, I've been focusing my workouts around improving technique and endurance for backstroke (with sets like 10 x 100 on 2:00) and I think its starting to pay off in my 200 times. Today's workout was a repeat of one I did last Sunday, but the backstroke 200s were 5-10 seconds faster:

WU (1000):
    200 fr/pull
    200 bk/pull
    200 br
    4 x 50 fly on 1:00 (:48-:49)
    4 x 50 drill bk and fr
    1:00 rest

MS (2000/35:00)
    4 x
    200 bk + 50 fr pull recovery on 4:30 (BKs = 3:18, 3:19, 3:19, 3:20)
    4 x
    200 fr + 50 bk pull recovery on 4:15 (FRs = 3:03, 3:03, 3:07, 3:06)

CD (1000)
    4 x 50 drill, bk/fr
    4 x 50 fly on 1:00 (:49s)
    200 bk
    200 br
    200 fr pull

I've been doing a lot of moderate paced, short interval, mid-distance stuff lately... mostly because that's my comfort zone... training at the 500-1500 paces. What I'm happy about is the fact that I'm doing these workouts now with backstroke; which means my endurance in that stroke is getting a lot better, even as my body gets a break from the really hard, fast 50 repeats I had been doing to improve my 200 times. I'm definitely in striking distance of 3:00 for 200 back (I time-trialed a 3:09 way back at the beginning of September and I feel much stronger now).

I was going to do an SCM meet in Illinois the first weekend in November, but I also had a conference that weekend in Milwaukee, so I thought it would be best just to save my energy. Our plan is to head up to the SCM state meet for WI at the beginning of December. 1500 is already closed (they're only taking 12 swimmers I think), but that's OK, because Scotty and I have concocted a little competition to make things interesting. My back versus his breast; we'll each swim the 50, 100, and 200 for our respective strokes and add up the times (and they should be pretty close, we often swim head-to-head br v bk in practice to make things interesting. The 400 IM will be handicapped somehow b/c we're about :30 apart on that event... I'm thinking add only our improvement from 400 IM at the LCM state meet. So, I could still win if he beats me by :30, but I swim :10 faster than my previous time and he only swims :09 faster. We'll see, we're just trying to keep it fresh and keep pushing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. USMS Baylor SCM Meet

by , November 16th, 2013 at 06:36 PM (After a long rest)
    I woke up feeling ok, not bad but not great either. Yesterday's workout was hard and I was stiff today. The Baylor meet is about 30 mins from my house with no traffic and I had a clear and quick journey to the pool. The pool is a nice facility and has the best locker rooms of any swimming facility I have ever swum at; it reminds me of a country club in quality and there is a seating area with big tvs, both wet and dry areas and tons of showers, and classy wooden lockers. The locker room also had a huge hot tub and steam room.

The meet was run very quickly, with all events being swum mixed. The challenge entering this meet for me was I did not have any SCM times as a master and also swam the 50 back and 100 IM which I don't normally swim. My two team mates who entered the meet with me swum very well. Both Nikki and Bill were chasing world qualifying times and both got a qualifier and got very close in a number of others races. Nikki in particular swam an awesome 400 free and Bill swam a great 100 free. I swum ok today but not as quick as I had hoped which I think is a result of where we are in our training program right now. As usual I had a lot of fun and it was great meeting Chowmi in person and seeing a number of the DAMM team and coaches I swam with at SMU over the summer.

Today's swims

400 free - 4.24.14
    200 free - 2.04.38
    50 back - 30.60
    100 IM - 1.04.24

It's hard for me to look at any of these swims as anything other than good, but I know I can go a lot quicker and I am really looking forward to my taper after Christmas.

Updated November 16th, 2013 at 07:13 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  7. Change of plans

For the second time this week I found myself opting out of a beach swim at the last minute. This morning I was packed and ready to head out the door when I remembered to check the subways. Turned out my usual train wasn’t running, and getting to the beach would involve more time and hassle and shuttle buses than I wanted to invest in a short swim. (That was at least an improvement over Monday, when I felt unwell half way out to Brighton and had to just around and come back.) Luckily there was a swim practice near my house midday today that I went to instead. It was packed—we had six or more per lane. I ended up with five good lanemates, and enjoyed the workout a lot. Here’s what I did:

900 scy warmup, various

12 x 50 @ :55, IM progression (4 x (fl/bk, bk/br, br/fr, fr/fl))

400 IM kick

2 x 100 @ 1:50
    1 x 150 @ 1:50
    1 x 50 @ 1:50
    4 x 100 @ 1:50
    4 x 100 @ 1:50
    2 x 100 @ 1:50
    [This set looks confusing, but it was actually very cool. On each swim, the first person in the lane did a 150, the last person in the lane did a 50, and everyone in the middle did 100s, all on the same interval (1:50). After each swim the first person moved to the back, and we cycled around 3 times, so it was essentially 3 fast 150s with lots of active rest in between. I just barely made mine (1:47-1:48). I really enjoyed the esprit de lane this set created—we all got to encourage whoever was doing their fast swim, and congratulate them when they came in.]

8 x 50 ST, #s 4 and 8 fast [BK on first 4 (35), BK/BR on second 4 (39+)]

200 warmdown

I was very happy after workout to remember that the lunch I had packed for the beach was in my beach bag waiting for me. It all worked out in the end!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. DAMM SCM Meet report!

by , November 16th, 2013 at 02:27 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Here's how I did! These should all make top ten!

50 fly 31.00
    50 free #1: 28.67
    50 free #2: 28.39
    50 back: 33.2
    100 IM: 1:12.4

I swam next to Stewart Carroll in the 50 back and 100 IM! I swam between him and another really fast guy in the 100IM. I think they went 1:02, 1:04, so I thought I was sucking big time. But lo, I turned around and saw the 1:12, which was super strong and better than I was expecting for my 5th event!

I'm a bit bummed about the 50 frees, as I thought I could go faster. It is so hard getting up in the pool where I practice. Motivation is a bit tough!

I am hoping to go 24.99 or better at the local A meet in 3 weeks. I'm going to swim a "full" line up - 100 back/50 free; 100 fly/100 free. That is tough for me as I don't swim 100's but all I need are solid A times, so the times should be very do-able.

Wish me luck on 24.99!!!!!!!!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Saturday 11/16/13

Saturday 11/16

AM only SCY

2x
    300 swim every 4th 25 scull
    4x75 @ 1:30 kick/drill/under H2O FL kick w/ fins
    4x100 @ 1:15 AE

8x25 @ :40 V.S.
    100 EZ

Total: 2300

Was definitely feeling run down from yesterday's double so I just used today as a light recovery day.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. In hot water 86 degrees to be exact

by , November 16th, 2013 at 12:01 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Took me a little while to adjust to the hot water, but I managed.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    5x200@3:00 free w/paddles & bouy went 3:45,3:44,3:41,3:37,3:33
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    4x25@:30 fly
    100 back w/paddles in 1:31
    100 breast accordion drill w/snorkle
    100 free w/snorkle
    5x100@2:30 fly as 25 rt arm/25 lt arm/25 kick/25 swim the swim felt strong
    100 back kick w/zoomers
    100 breast pull w/zoomers
    200 free drill
    200 free kick

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 11|14|13, 11|15|13 and 11|16|13 SCM's

by , November 16th, 2013 at 10:15 AM (Blog)
    From memory:

11|14|13
    about 1200 worth of kicking, drills, and ultra-fast/short/speed with aerobic theme stuff using fins, concentrating muscle memory off the turns/push-offs

• equipment - fins, snorkel

11|15|13
    500 free WFSP

15 x 25 on 1:00

• dr/br/dr/bk order

a few fast DFS free's as 35 fast / 15 easy / (on 0:50) 25 recovery
    • 14s to the feet / 20s @ 35m / 33 @ 50m

11|16|13
    recovery swimming
    500 free WFSP

500 drills

25 AFAP FK from push

• 18s

Updated November 16th, 2013 at 02:32 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday 11/15/13

Friday 11/15

AM and PM SCY

AM swim:

300 swim
    300 pull w/ buoy + paddles + snorkel
    200 swim
    200 kick w/ board
    100 swim
    100 I.M. drill
    8x25 @ :30 V.S.

8x75 @ 2:00
    - done as 6 squats/25 under H2O FL kick/8 squats/25 under H2O FL kick/10 squats/25 under H2O FL kick

2x (RD1: FR, RD2: BR)
    12x25 @ :25 kick w/ board
    4x50 @ :50 200 PACE

5x100 @ 1:15 1st/last 25 FAST swim w/ fins
    6x50 @ 1:30 FR FAST no breath

Total: 3800

PM swim:

2x
    300 swim
    200 kick w/ board
    8x25 @ :30 drill I.M.O.
    3x100 @ 1:20 pull w/ buoy + paddles + snorkel

10x25 @ 1:30 FAST swim w/ fins (2 FR, 8 I.M.O.)

3x
    4x100 @ 1:30 FL kick w/ board + fins
    6x25 @ :45 FR kick w/ board BEST AVG (average across all 3 rounds: 17.1)
    4x100 @ 1:30 2nd/4th 25 FAST swim w/ fins

10x50 @ 1:00 25 drill/25 swim (2 FR, 8 I.M.O.)
    6x100 @ 1:30 swim w/ strapless paddles + snorkel

Total: 6200

Still fighting this cough, but was happy to get a double in today and hit the 5 digit mark on total yardage.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. What A Slacker

by , November 15th, 2013 at 05:03 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    It's been 2 years since I posted.

Been a good 2 years. 1 New grandson, My Son Got hitched and has my third grandkid on the way.

Now the really good part.....
    We are sponsoring 2 meets this spring. We are hosting the 1st Annual Arnold Swimming Championship !!!!

And the 2nd Annual Swim Against Huntington's Disease !!

All this is made possible through Norm's hard work!!!
    Masters Swimming is Awesome!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Bubble rings!

Today I managed to blow bubble rings for the first time! I did a prosaic mid-day workout at the Y, and afterwards enjoyed having my own lane to scull and play in. I tried lying on the bottom and blowing bubble rings, which I’ve done before, and this time they actually came out as rings rather than just big bubbles. Cool! I was just in the shallow end today—I’ll have to work on my sinking skills so that I can do this in the deep end as well. I’m not yet as skilled as these guys . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCf7...D1&app=desktop

…but it’s a start!

My workout today:

1000 scy warmup

4 x (3 x 50 FR @ 1:00, desc.)

4 x (3 x 25 @ :30 desc., stroke IM order)

400 experiment, scull, play
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. First meet free vs. Frequent Meet Punchchard?

by , November 15th, 2013 at 04:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    In North Texas, we have a "first meet free" ongoing promotion that our current President enacted when she took office. I don't disagree with it, as any promotion is a good thing to get people to participate.

But I wish there was also a frequent punchcard, honored by either NT LMSC or perhaps all the LMSCs within a zone, and then you get some prize at each award level, like a patch at 10 meets, a towel at 20 meets, a bag a 50 meets, and a knesskin at 100 meets! There would be a firm start date, such as 01/01/14 and then the punches go into effect. No retroactive punches.

The former only rewards the newbie, and there just aren't that many! How about giving me a reward for sticking around and registering USMS YOY since 1992! We don't get any prizes, and I just don't think someone who's never swum a meet should get something for free when I don't.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Week 59 - Friday

by , November 15th, 2013 at 11:49 AM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed early last night and woke up feeling better than I did yesterday. I am far from rested but definitely a good nights sleep helped a lot. Todays workout had a lot of high intensity swimming and the 200’s in particular were brutal.

Warmup
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
    4x(2x50 free on 30, 1x50 back on 35, 1x50 easy on 45)
    200 easy
    4x200 free on 3mins swum 100 strong/fast, 50 afap, 50 hold on
    8x100 free on 1.30 swum 50 strong/fast, 25 afap, 25 hold on
    200 easy
    10x50 kick on 55

Warm down
    300 easy with snorkel concentrating on left hand entry

Total 4300 scy

I made all the transition set holding 28s on the free 50s and 34 on the back 50. These were hard though! The 200’s I focused on the strong but smooth on the first 100 and letting go on the 3rd 50 and then holding on on the last 50. I went 1.59, 2.00, 2.00, 1.58. The 100’s were easier than the 200’s but they were far from easy. I held 58-59’s on the first 7 and then finished with a 57. I noticed how my stroke fell apart on the last 50 of the 200’s caused my position on my turns to be close to the wall, so on the 100’s I tried stretching my stroke out when it got tough on the 3rd and 4th lengths, and as a result was able to hit my turns much better and held my streamline off the walls much better. This took all the concentration I had to hold it together.

I was really beat at the end of this workout.

I am swimming in the DAMM Baylor SCM meet tomorrow and I am swimming the 400 free, 200 free, 50 back and 100 IM. I will try to get some rest tonight and go for it in the morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Long Course today what a nice change of pace

by , November 15th, 2013 at 08:31 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This was basically a make it up as you go kind of day.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers deep strong kick
    800 free w/paddles & bouy for time 12:25
    200 torque drill w/snorkle and paddles
    200 free w/snorkle
    200 kick w/zoomers deep and strong kick
    8x50@:10RI odds fly evens streamline kick w/zoomers
    200 free EZ

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. What types of community events can our Masters program host?

by , November 15th, 2013 at 01:00 AM (Questions from Coaches)
    Q: My club wants to get more involved with the local community and host events. What types of community events should our Masters program consider?

A: Being a good citizen in the community can be rewarding for your members and can build goodwill with your swimming facility. Hosting community outreach events at your pool will require varying degrees of logistical planning, depending on the size and scope of the event. It's important to assemble a support team that shares in the planning and execution of the events. Don't try to do everything yourself. Have a goal of giving ownership to many volunteers. It will add to the overall success of the event when many hands are working as one.

Examples of community outreach events requiring pools:

• Adult learn-to-swim clinic
    • Special Olympics
    • Senior Games
    • Police and Fire Games
    • Wounded Warrior Project, Warrior Games
    • Paralympics

Updated July 11th, 2014 at 05:19 PM by Bill Brenner

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. November Classic Meet Wrap-up

by , November 14th, 2013 at 09:33 PM (One Stroke at a Time)
    November 10
    Woodlands Masters Swim Team November Classic
    SCM
    I warmed up about 1200 then swam 5 times (with warm downs after each swim)

400 IM
    2013 5:56.79
    2012 5:43.61
    2011 5:49.37

Splits 2013
    39.64 44.37 45.31 45.27
    49.83 49.75 41.88 40.74

50 breast
    2013 42.16
    2012 swam 100 fly instead
    2011 40.28

200 breast
    2013 3:09.36
    2012 3:05.85
    2011 3:08.22

Splits 2013
    44.13 47.40 48.76 49.07

50 breast on 200-239 Mixed 200 Medley Relay
    2013 41.50
    2012- No relays
    2011 40.26

800 free
    2013 11:07.95
    2012 10:37.19
    2011 10:48.51

Splits 2013
    38.82 41.85 42.71 42.60
    42.07 41.76 42.60 42.46
    42.00 42.67 42.29 42.26
    42.07 41.51 40.76 39.52

I swam just on Sunday. On Saturday, I went to a chess tournament then to a soccer game and then back to the chess tournament (all for the 5th grader). This was a lot of driving so I was pretty tired by the end of the day. I took a bath in the evening, put my sons to bed and then went to bed myself at 8:30 (I had been pretty much dozing since 7:30 but rallied to get them to bed).

I have swum at this meet the last three years (and pretty much the same events each year). The meet was really fun. I got to see some people that I hadn't seen for a while, including a former teammate who was visiting from San Francisco and swam. I felt like an age grouper on the 400 IM because I had a whole cheering section at the end of my lane. This was great because I am still having difficulty swimming fly so I needed a boost. I wasn't sure about my seeds but ended up in the right heat for each event (except the 400 IM where I was in lane 4 and was about 20 seconds faster than my seed). Honestly though, who doesn't like to swim the 400 IM way off the front. I thought that I split my races well. My legs were shot by the end of the 200 breast stroke (I did 400 total breast stroke for the day) and I knew this would happen because I did a pretty hard kick set on Friday with 100s on 1:30 at the end of it (and even when I was doing it I thought I should stop). I am not sure when I swim in another meet. I heard that the Woodlands is hosting our short course zones so maybe then (but only if I can drum up some business for relays from my team).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Week 59 - Thursday

by , November 14th, 2013 at 09:12 PM (After a long rest)
    I have had a few very long days with work and my late night meeting and dinner last night meant I only had about 5 hours of sleep. As a result I was very tired this morning. I feel quite run down generally and have a cold sore coming on my top lip. Despite feeling run down it was still good to swim.

Warm up
    10x100 with snorkel on 1.20

Main set
    4x(4x25 afap on 30, 6x50 on 30, 100 easy on 1.30)
    8x200 pull smooth and long on 2.30

Warm down
    400 easy

Total 5000scy

I went 13s on the 25s. The 50s were tough and I held 29s on the 50s. I had a challenge turning around and going on 30 and it ended up being more like 31 send offs. I held 1.05 pace on the 200s.

Updated November 14th, 2013 at 09:23 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts