View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Grays Lake swim

by , September 2nd, 2013 at 11:55 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    So three of us met this morning on Jones Island Park and did the second pirate swim. This time diagonally across and down the length of Grays Lake in Lake county, IL. The route measures .531 miles on Geodistance, so a 1.062 mile round trip trek. Here's the screen shot of the route from geodistance.com:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grays Lake route.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	7928

We met again at 7AM; Dirk drove all the way in from about an hour west of Chicago area. Mike and I followed his navigation on the water, which was spot on. Mike used a medium size ISHOF swim buoy and Dirk let me try out his large-sized one. These things are great... nice visibility and I didn't even feel like it was there most of the time. I liked not having to wear a brightly colored cap on the swim as a result of being able to tow the buoy. In the middle of the lake I rolled over on my back to de-fog my goggles and the buoy was right there; I went vertical for a moment to see if it would hold my weight and it did quite nicely.

Grays Lake was beautiful. Water was just about perfect in terms of temperature, and it was calm and still for us... swimming on a mirror practically. It was only really weedy for about 25-50 yards on the Jones Island side; the other side had a very mushy bottom, but not much in terms of weeds, so that was nice. Another nice feature of this lake was the lack of motorized boating. there were a few kayakers out and about, but that was it.

Here's a picture of the park from across the road at the parking lot where we met:

Name:	Grays lk.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	7929

Here's a view of the lake looking across from our starting point, notice the gorgeous weather we're having (where was that on Saturday AM when we were doing the 5K postal?! ):

Name:	Grays lk 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	7930

It sounds like Mike and I both did doubles yesterday... since we managed to get an additional workout in after our morning swim... his team practiced Sunday evening and I went back out to Lake Andrea, met Scotty, and did about 1500 in the lap swim area (included about 350 in fly)... Scotty and I are looking forward to having the Kenosha YMCA open again on Tuesday. For now... a rest. It's been a great Labor Day weekend of swimming.

Thanks also to Dirk for bringing me a copy of the split sheet from the 5K postal attempt. Looks like my first 1000, even as creaky as it felt, still came in at 18:19. The next 1000 was 18:13, then the 3rd K was 18:40 (guess I was subconsciously relaxing right before the final 2K push). I'm very pleased with this swim. Thanks to Dirk and his great lifeguards and timers... next year, fingers crossed, we'll make the full 5K.

Next weekend: maybe another lake swim, we'll see. Mike is going to do a little reconnaissance for us. It's fun swimming with these guys!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 9|1|13 Serpente acquatico

by , September 1st, 2013 at 02:24 PM (Blog)
    SCM - 45 min

30 x 50 on 1:00
    • first several were mid 50's, then gradually increased to low 40's

4 x 25 flutter kick on 0:30
    • just barely made these, therefore the other SCM pool might be a little short (or this one long)

300 drill WF

Didn't swim yesterday.

Spent the day and part of evening working in yard. As I was finishing up and walking into the back yard, I noticed my cat frozen in her tracks as I approached. She looked up at me, her pupils were fully dilated and I knew she was on to something. I had my head-light on and thankfully noticed what it was - a copperhead. It was resting in the path to my back yard where I always walk, and if my cat didn't tip me, I could have easily stepped on it for one hell of a miserable envenomation. I can't afford another accident like this (a week in the hospital 3 yrs ago), the body reacts more severe the second time around to both venom and antivenin. I always carry a flashlight at night for this reason, and I am very greatful for my awsome cat.

I had to extract the snake because it crawled under the sunroom where our cat sleeps. With a garden hose 6 feet away, I guided it with a stream of water to crawl in to a bucket (still marvelled over how I did this). I don't plan to kill it, that's how most bites happen. I also don't have the heart, but I have to figure out a relocation option soon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Diamond Lake swim

by , September 1st, 2013 at 12:21 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    The first in what might become many in this pirate swim series (we certainly won't run out of lakes in Lake county, IL or Kenosha county, WI any time soon)!

Here was the scene from the parking lot where we started:

Name:	Photo09010812.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	7921

A nice little mist was starting to roll in as we finished. Mike and I had a good swim... nice comfortable pace, the water was nearly perfect. Not a lot of boat traffic, though we did see a waterskier as we were standing in the parking lot after the swim. I just plugged the route into Geodistance and it came up as a roundtrip of .733 miles, so about 3/4 of a mile. We could have taken a more southerly route but there were some fishermen in boats to the south and the inlet I thought we might want to aim for had more boat traffic than our stretch swimming out just north of the park. Here's a shot I took from the boat ramp right after arriving, you can see how inviting it is with the sun just rising behind me:

Name:	Diamond lk.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	7922

The route on Geodistance is marked out here in the satellite image...

Name:	Diamond lake route.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	7923

It was good fun; a nice relaxing Sunday morning swim. Tomorrow maybe we'll hit Grays Lake since it is a holiday... 7AM was a great time to start. I texted Scotty (my usual training bud from Kenosha Y) to see if he wanted to do it and he said I was nuts (to which I responded "I am what I eat!"). I'll get him out into the open water one of these days!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Classification (September-October 2013)

by , September 1st, 2013 at 12:00 AM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    What is it with our propensity to classify everything? The desire to separate, organize, and name singles and groups of anything seems to be hardwired. I’m pretty sure the hunter-gatherers had collections of the things they hunted and gathered stored up in the Paleolithic version of the freezer-bag-and-Sharpie or the alphabetized spice rack. In the 1700s Carl Linnaeus, the father of taxonomy (the science of naming stuff), wasn’t satisfied with only one label, so every known living thing got two or three names.

Obviously, Linnaeus was onto something. Based on the highly unscientific data collector known as Facebook, the email we get, and the conversations we’ve had on deck, it’s not so easy to classify swimmers with only one name; many consider themselves fitness swimmers who compete or competitive swimmers who swim open water, etc. So why do we go back and forth over the labels, fitness swimmer and competitive swimmer?

It’s undoubtedly another human trait to resist labels when they are placed upon us, and often with good reason. Since the dawn of time, humans have had a hard time with the concept of moderation when it comes to labeling—not all have used their powers for good. It’s fine when labeling meant: “This plant will cure your headache; this one will make you bleed out your eyeballs.” But when labels are applied to people, it can bring out the worst in Homo sapiens.

Whatever type of swimmer you consider yourself, we’re all good. We just want to make sure we’re providing content and services that you find valuable. We’ve labeled this issue as the first “Fitness Issue” of SWIMMER. It is not strictly fitness articles—Pan-Ams was a competitive event and Rich Burns, featured in “From the Center Lanes” would probably not be considered a fitness swimmer by anyone. But it’s a way for us to hunt and gather content that appeals to those who swim for myriad reasons.

Updated July 1st, 2014 at 10:38 AM by Editor

Categories
    Staff Blogs
  5. Workout 08/31/13: OW

by , August 31st, 2013 at 10:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    As summer begins to set, new adventures await for the remainder of year with school starting up, OW season winding down, and the Rec reopening on Tuesday! To that point, I was able to sit in on my first class at the Bible college on Thursday, although I missed the first bit due to work (this is why I am auditing the course). That same night, our exchange student from Germany, Lina, arrived later in the evening (with thanks to my friend Ed for picking her up). She is getting used to her new home and family for the year (we all went to the Schaghticoke Fair today, the 3rd oldest in NY state).

This morning I headed up to the third and final OW lake swim that I organized with the Masters group while the pool has been shut down. Today I picked Adams Reservoir due to its close proximity to town and lack of motorized boats. Over the course of week many folks emailed to say that they might not be able to make it, and it turns out that only Brent joined me, after he ran around the lake twice! Here is the picture I snapped before we splashed:

I had a feeling that the water would be cool, and under overcast skies the temperature checked in at a warm 67 degrees. The water is clear, but has a reddish tint that is evident when you watch your fingers sweep under your body. It is not terribly long (just shy of a quarter mile) and has an easily defined edge crowded with pine, birch, maple, and other trees. Only three lone kayakers where on the water with us, and I was thinking that this would be a great place for a cable! We went out and back on the western edge from the beach, then headed toward the east edge and checked out a shallow, rocky area about 2/3 of the way down. Total of 0.9 miles in 28 minutes (did I mention before that Brent doesn't like cold water ).

Refreshing and a beautiful area for a cool swim, so I will be sure to get back as I look for more cold swims to feel out where my "it's too darn cold to keep doing this" point is. Off to get the South Korean boy tomorrow evening, then to enjoy another week of staycation as the kids head back to school on Tuesday.

Updated August 31st, 2013 at 11:31 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Open Water
  6. Hot pool, bad back, not a good mix

by , August 31st, 2013 at 08:19 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    The pool was 86 and my back was really hurting. My neck on the right side is a problem today. Even now it still hurts but a good dose of Doctor Who should help.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    8x25@:45 fly scull drill w/ monofin
    8x25@:45 fly torque drill w/ monofin & paddles
    8x25@:45 one arm fly w/monofin
    8x25@:45 fly kick w/monofin
    8x25@:45 fly fast w/monofin
    5x200@3:00 free w/paddles & bout went 3:47, 3:45, 3:43, 3:40, 3:35 shocked at this given the temperature
    500 free kick w/zoomers 25 high/25 medium/25 deep kick
    300 breast kick
    200 free kick no equipment

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:30-12:30pm

by , August 31st, 2013 at 07:03 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Got into lap swim at the Y. A few other masters swimmers were there, the "younger" ones. I was splitting a lane with a lady named Jen, she was speedy enough that it wouldn't have been bad to circle swim if needed. Tom was also there...they were both looking forward to the group workouts starting in another week or so.

Warmup:

600 Free
    8 x 75 SDK on back w/ short fins @ 1:10
    (1200/1200)

8 x 100 Free Pull
    2 @ 1:30, 2 @ 1:25, 2 @ 1:20, 2 @ 1:15
    I could've gone 2 @ 1:10, but didn't want to.
    (800/2000)

3 x 200 IM @ 3:30
    3 x 100 IM @ 1:40
    (900/2900)

4 x 25 @ :30 Odds Fly, Evens EZ Free

-------------------------------
    3000 yards

That's enough for me...got my heart rate up a bit too. Quick and simple with a bit of everything.
  8. The end of August

by , August 31st, 2013 at 05:37 PM (One Stroke at a Time)
    Friday August 30
    Lunch Bunch
    SCY
    Missed warm-up
    3 x 50 kick on 1:00
    3 x 50 kick on 55
    2 x 50 kick on 50
    50 kick on 45
    4 x 100 on 1:25 descend 1-3 with #4 easy
    4 x 100 on 1:30 descend 1-3 with #4 easy
    4 x 100 on 1:35 descend 1-3 with #4 easy
    4 x 100 on 1:40 descend 1-3 with #4 easy
    50-100-150-200-250 pull 10 seconds rest between each distance
    2800 yards

Saturday August 31
    SCY
    4 x 150 pull on 2:30
    4 x 150 50 kick/50 swim/50 kick on 2:30
    8 x 50 odds free with no breath at turn from flags to flags on 50 evens 25 drill/25 swim IM order on 1:00
    2 x (2 x 25 sprint kick on 35 then 2 x 100 IM on 1:40 then 200 easy on 3:20)
    8 x 25 sprint back 2 on 25, 2 on 30, 2 on 25, 2 on 40
    100 easy
    8 x 25 sprint breast 2 on 25, 2 on 30, 2 on 25, 2 on 40
    100 easy
    2 x (75 on 1:10 then 25 on 30) pull
    100 easy
    4000 yards

I did a pretty good job of staying wet this August. I had a few rough swims but by and large listened to my body and didn't overdo it. This let me swim 4000 for the first time since the first week in July. I actually had a little umph today as well. So it is onto September.

Updated August 31st, 2013 at 05:46 PM by MaryR

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 2013 5K postal attempt...

by , August 31st, 2013 at 02:18 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Do they have a 3.1-mile postal swim?

We had to stop early because of thunderstorms... darn, with only 1900 to go!

After a sluggish start I was feeling really good too. I made the drive over to DeKalb, IL, the Hopkins Park Pool, set up for LCM. There were 5 of us swimming the 5k postal and it was a super nice group: Dirk, who organized it, and some of his teammates, Keith and another Alex, along with Debbie from Rockford, IL. What was nice about this group... aside from the congenial conversation while huddled together under a tarp in a torrential rainfall (in Texas we would have called it a "real gully-washer"), we were all pretty evenly paced, I don't think anyone was more than a half length behind anyone else when we were pulled out of the water. Last year I did the 5K solo, so it felt good to have company.

I didn't warm up beforehand and determined to use the first 500-1000 as a slow building warm-up, but by the time I got to 1500 I felt like I was really cruising. I loosened up, stretched out my stroke and found a nice rhythm. When we were stopped I was at 3100 meters. My 3000-meter split was 55:12, which I just did some number cranking on and find that this is an average 18:24 per K pace... way faster than my 19:30+/k average last summer. Last summer my 100 pace was 1:57-1:58, this year 1:50.5. And again, I might have actually been swimming a little bit faster pace as I loosened up in the second and third kilometers (I'll find out when they e-mail me the splits). I'm pretty sure I was on pace for something like a 1 hour, 30-31 minute 5K, which would have crushed last year's 1:37:40. Here was my wrap-up after that 2012 5K:

http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?238...Postal-results

I've made a lot of progress in the 13 months between these two 5K postal attempts... just sorry we didn't get to finish it out this year. We had a good time nonetheless, and I really thought I wouldn't even have a chance at another attempt this season with lack of LCM pools available in the immediate area, so this was just a bonus swim for me! And I'm feeling so much more confident this year than last... a long way to go yet, but happy with the progress.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday, Aug 30

by , August 31st, 2013 at 10:54 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Sewickley Masters

Warm up: OMO

650 various
    100 scull
    10 x 25 shooters

Main Sets:

assigned 600 choice
    -- I did 8 x 50 fly drills (single arm & caterpillar)
    300 kick
    5 x 50 build second 25
    -- I did them burst SDK + cruise
    3 x 50 off the blocks
    -- I did 25 AFAP + 25 EZ (2 free, 1 fly)
    50 EZ
    20 x 25 sprint @ 1:00
    -- I did 16 (potty break), 8 kick + 8 swim
    100 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP kick
    -- back w/fins, :24, went off course the second length and hit lane line looking for ledge where pool precipitously goes from 10 to 4 feet
    50 EZ
    8 x 50 smooth DPS free w/Jimby @ 1:00

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three days in a row of swimming! Quasi-miraculously for me. Not sure what is on the agenda for Labor Day Weekend. Hope everyone has a great one!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 48 - Saturday

by , August 31st, 2013 at 09:52 AM (After a long rest)
    I woke with a stiff neck this morning as a result I suspect of the kicking with a board yesterday. After the warmup I felt ok and neck loosened up. Overall I felt good today, despite the last set kicking my butt.

Warm up
    4x200 free on 2.40
    12x50 catchup drill on 45
    6x50 kick on 1 min

Main set
    2x50 on 35, 1x50 back on 35, 50 easy on 1.30
    2x50 on 35, 1x50 back on 35, 50 easy on 1.30
    2x50 on 32.5, 1x50 back on 35, 50 easy on 1.30
    2x50 on 30, 1x50 back on 35, 50 easy on 1.30
    300 easy
    10x100 with fins on 1min

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 4000scy

I felt good on the first main set and went 28s on all the free 50s and 32s on the backs(my back has felt much better recently). I left my swim bag at the house and had to borrow some fins from the pool and they had seen better days. The 10x100s were really tough and I made 5 but then hit the lactic wall. I took a minutes rest and then finished out the set. On the last 5 some of my team mates started cheering and whistling and this carried me through to the end. The last 5 were not as bad as the first 5 for some reason. Despite not making all 10 I was happy with this set.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 48 - Friday PM

by , August 30th, 2013 at 07:49 PM (After a long rest)
    I decided to take my daughter to her practice today and brought my swim stuff with the hope I could do a stretch swim while she swam. I got in with the junior racer group who are the quick 11/12 year old kids. I basically did the first hour of there workout and then got out. It's always fun swimming with the little kids since they always try to beat you and actually get excited about swimming with the old guy. It helps that my masters coach is the jr racer coach so he likes to challenge the kids to beat the old guy. We did a really hard kick set where the kids really kicked quick.

7x200 free breathing 3,5 by 25 with no breaths in or out of the flags
    12x100 kick on 1.50
    12x50 on 1 min swum as 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 free, 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 free
    100 easy

Total 3300

The kick set was fun and we held 1.20-1.23s on all of these. A couple of the quick girls hung with me on these and on 10 and 11 went quicker then me. I took the last one. At the end of the kick set one of the girls high fived and thanked me for pushing her. That was cool.

This was a quicker practice than I was hoping for but was really fun.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. 08.30.13 - Friday workout

by , August 30th, 2013 at 03:49 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Chris. Did ok today. Felt tired near the end. Did some fly pull w/ paddles today. Not sure if this the smartest thing in the world but I didn't have any problems.

SCY

600 Warm up

2 x 100 kick w/ fins - 1:45 (all free)
    2 x 100 kick w/ fins - 1:45 (50 fly/50 free)
    2 x 100 kick w/ fins - 1:45 (50 bk/50 free)
    2 x 100 kick w/ fins - 1:45 (all back)

4 x 50 stroke - :50, descend
    :40 rest
    6 x 100 - 1:15
    50 Easy

10 x 100 pull - 1:20, every third one back
    50 Easy

2 Rounds of:
    * 2 x 100 Kick - 1:45 (br first round, fins second round)
    * 100 Pull - 1:20
    * 100 pull - 1:20, 1st 25 fly
    * 100 pull - 1:20, 1st 25 bk
    * 100 pull - 1:20, 1st 25 br
    * 100 Pull - 1:20
    * 2 x 100 kick - 1:40, fins

100 Cool down

(5200 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. August in review...

by , August 30th, 2013 at 02:44 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    I've just entered into the FLOG my penultimate swim of the month and my bio-data from this morning. I decided to look at my monthly totals, since it is the 30th, to see how it was looking going into tomorrow's postal 5K (what a way to end the month btw!) and do some comparisons with previous months this year.

MILEAGE: I'm at 48.8 miles for August, which means the 5K postal will put me over 50 miles for the first time since January. I've been averaging 45 miles/month since January, mostly 47-48, but some 43-mile "recovery" months in there too.

WEIGHT: Average weight this month: 169 lbs. Last month: 175.xx. Before that, I was almost invariably in the 177-178 range for the whole year. For the last couple of weeks my average weight has been closer to 167-168, which means that September's average promises to be even lower. Thing is, I'm not even trying to lose weight. After more than 6 weeks on a purely vegan diet, and avoiding processed, packaged foods wherever possible, I can eat till I'm full at every meal, snack healthfully, and still see the scale flashing numbers I haven't seen this consistently since my first couple of years in college. Bonus: fruits taste way sweeter; the higher calorie refined sugars are way too sweet for me now, so when I do put sugar in the vegan pancake recipe, or have more than 2-3 vegan chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, it tastes too sweet in the moment, and, more importantly, makes me feel rotten a little while later... so I read my body better, it's not numbed by sugar/high-fructose corn syrup addiction, i.e., in constant need of the next high.

RESTING HEART RATE: average for August was 43.9. Every month before that was averaging 47-48. A difference of 3-4 beats might not seem significant on a daily basis, but for a month-long average I think this is an important indicator. I think it means that my heart is having to work less hard when I'm at rest and that I'm going to recover better as result. I hope it means that my arteries are regaining elasticity and that my blood cholesterol is on the decline.

I've done 3600 yards over the last two days in the lake; 1800 each day. A little bit of recovery from the hard swimming earlier this week. Yesterday I did 500 fr, 500 bk and then a mix of all 4 strokes for the final 800. Today I did 200 fr relaxed followed by 100 bk and 100 br, and repeated that 2+1+1 pattern three more times; finished with an ez 200 fr. Lake water temp was perfect both days; and early mornings out there have been glorious!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 8|30|13 SCY

Warmed up for 20 minutes, drills WFS

8 x 25 on 0:30 flutter kick
    • made them with 23 - 27's

10 x 50 from block on 2:00, 25 fast/25 easy
    • the fasts varied between easy speed and very hard (12-14's)
    • alternated between track and grab (grab style still results in fewer strokes and slightly faster time)

About 1450 scy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Week 48 - Friday

by , August 30th, 2013 at 08:35 AM (After a long rest)
    It's been a rough couple of weeks work wise and I have been looking forward to the long weekend. I woke this morning feeling tired. I was in a pretty negative spot mentally before practice but to my surprise felt pretty good in warmup. By the main set I was on fire and had an awesome workout and felt strong throughout. It goes to show sometimes it's all in my head and I just need to swim.

Warmup
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45
    10x50 on 50 swum 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim, 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim

Main set
    10x200 descend 1-4 and #5 at #4 or better pace, and descend 6-9 with #10 at #9 pace on 2.40
    4x75 on 4mins AFAP with 200 active recovery between 75s

Warm down
    100 easy

Total 4400scy

On the 200s I went 2.05, 2.01, 1.59, 1.57, 1.56, 2.07, 2.02, 1.59, 1.55, 1.55. These did not feel that quick and I had to recheck the time after the first one because I totally cruised a 2.05. After the long week I was not expecting this. After the 4th one I still felt good and new the second round was going to be scary good. An hour later I still can't believe how fast I just went on these 200s. Before the DAM spring meet I struggled with a couple of 200s holding 2.05. The coach was asking me to hold 42s on the 75s and I went 39, 40, 40, 40 which again were incredibly quick based on my previous times on these distances. I am so excited about the progress I have made the past few months.

We were planning on sitting down and discussing the training program for worlds but this was delayed due to a number of the guys going to worlds not being at practice(not a good sign when they don't show for the practice we were going to discuss the program). My coach and I briefly discussed his desire for memnot to do doubles every day going forward. It's interesting being described as an old bottle of fine wine who needs a rest before serving! His point is probably sound which is I now have a good base and don't need to over do the training or get an injury by pushing to hard.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Friday, 8/30/13

by , August 30th, 2013 at 08:23 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Stupid noodlers have persuaded the staff to leave the aerators off at night because it's "too cold" for them at 7am. How 10 people can determine the pool temp for EVERYONE is beyond me. Nastigrams will be sent. Feeling better today (muscle soreness-wise).

600 back/free
    600 pull, breath control by 50's (3 & 5)
    300 kick, speed play by 50's
    100 easy
    5 x 300 @ 4:15, descend 1-5, last 3 were below 3:45, but not sure I actually descended.
    200 easy
    8 x 25; 25 drill, 2 x 25 4-cycle speed play, 25 sprint; repeat
    200 easy again
    4 x 200 IM, first 3 were twitch, last one straight on something awesome like 4:00 (we were doing a lot of talking there) & wearing zoomers
    300 cooldown -- HR after the hard last 200 IM - 135ish
    Total: 4800 SCY

Updated August 30th, 2013 at 06:57 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Watching the HR (first time) 8/29/13

by , August 30th, 2013 at 08:17 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Yesterday we had the weirdest workout ever - after a rather short 1000 yd warm-up (and the last 200 was kick) we then proceeded to do 5 x 200 K, and then 4 x 9 x 25 kick - which made for over 2000yds kick in a single workout! My legs were burning. I guess it was a good thing, because my arms were achy from weights the day before.
    Today, I decided to get back to normal, and do an easy stretch out in the pool after my weight workout. I was sore going into the gym, but after the first 3 or so machines, I loosened up considerably. Thought Jenna was going to swim with me - I saw her at the gym, but she didn't make it all the way to the pool. Probably Mommy issues (she has a 8 yr old & 3 yr old at home). So I swam on my own. Borrowing from PWB on tracking my HR - today being day one. I think I'm going to use the 10-12 x 100 @ 1:20 as my test set, since I have the opportunity to do this almost weekly. Today, I was swimming solo (thus, less motivated) and got my avg HR from leisurely swimming & "long & strong" (but not pushing it) swimming. Then a very short increase for 3 x 100. Guess I'll start off by putting things on a 3x5 card & work my way up to an Excel program when I get around to creating one.
    Today:
    600 - 100 free/50 back
    3 x 200 Pull
    4 x 150, breast/free/breast/breast/free/breast
    3 x 100 @ 1:30; my pace: 1:25 - easy; HR 110s
    50 easy
    3 x 100 @ 1:25; my pace: 1:20 - long & strong; HR 130s
    50 easy
    3 x 100 @ 1:20 paddles only; my pace: 1:12ish - feeling out of breath; HR 140
    200 easy
    3000 SCY

Updated August 30th, 2013 at 06:56 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wow, where did that come from

by , August 30th, 2013 at 08:13 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I was lucky to have a cold pool and it was long course. As I walked up the steps to the CCAC my back locked up and I thought that today was going to be a really rough workout to get thru. But after my 500 free really pushing thru the pain by doing mega dolphin kicks off each wall, my back loosed up nicely.

A Little pain at the right time can make you feel better in the long run.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    15x100@1:45 free w/paddles & bouy went 1:31, 1:32, 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 1:43, 1:43, 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 1:43, 1:43, 1:32, 1:31, 1:32 this was awesome for me doing long course
    500 free kick w/zoomers moderate pace
    3x100 free w/snorkle
    200 free EZ

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday 8/29/13

Thursday 8/29

PM only SCY

2x
    200 swim
    4x25 @ :10 rest log-roll drill w/ snorkel
    200 pull w/ buoy + paddles + snorkel
    4x25 @ :10 rest HP drill
    200 kick

8x25 @ :10 rest 1-arm FR w/ strapless paddles (switch arms every 2)

4x
    300 @ :10 rest FR 25 L/25 R/50 swim w/ snorkel
    4x125 @ :10 rest 50 side-glide/50 BK kick in S-line/25 FL kick on back in S-line

Total: 5000

Mind-numbingly boring, but great for FR technique!

Updated August 29th, 2013 at 11:03 PM by Calvin S

Categories
    Swim Workouts