View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday, April 15

by , April 15th, 2013 at 08:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 50 w/agility paddles
    odds = front scull
    evens = EVF free
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 4 dolphin, 4 fast hands
    100 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP free +75 EZ) @ 3:00 (10s)
    50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins (23)
    250 EZ

1 x 100 broken free @ 100 pace
    200 EZ

100 scull

Total: 2350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still feeling dead. I've been hitting it hard for 4 weeks since the Albatross meet and my body is telling me I need a recovery week. So I'm going to rest pretty hard in the pool the next 4 days for Zones. I think it's fine. I asked Cheryl to put me down for a slightly faster time in 100 fly.

Psych sheets for Zones are out: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...ults/index.htm. There are 562 swimmers, the biggest number ever for Zones.

I hate hate hate the wicked sociopath who spoiled the Boston Marathon today. So glad Mr. Fort had decided to pass on it this year. I don't think he would have been in danger, but I don't really know with the waves. Our dearest family friend had planned to be there running very slowly just to keep his 10 year consecutive streak alive (he's injured), but had to miss for business. Another friend watching her husband was standing on the opposite side from the bomb with her baby. This was the first time she had been on that side ... Creepy.

We have another offer on the house coming in. The whacko buyers are also still interested. Our real estate agents are paying or a third engineer. Hopefully, he will assess our house based on whether it is sound vs. enumerating the foundation upgrades that could be made.

Oh, and speaking of marathoners, did anyone see this article in the WSJ about elite marathoners being diagnoses with hypothyroidism, which some claim is performance enhancing?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet

Updated April 15th, 2013 at 09:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Monday, April 15, 2013

by , April 15th, 2013 at 08:09 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    LCM@FGCU Aquatic Center
    Air temp 75, Water temp 78
    Sunny, humidity at 88%

Warm Up
    Dryland bands
    400 FR as CU swimming
    400 FR w/agility paddles-buoy-tube
    1x200 FR as 4(25 smooth, 25 Fast BC-2)

*Set 1*
    3(4x50 FR on 1:00, 1:00 rest)
    *34-34-34-34, 34-33-33-33, 32-32-32-32...right into
    2(4x100 FR on 2:00, 1:00 rest)
    *1:17, 1:16, 1:16, 1:16
    *1:15, 1:15, 1:15, 1:15
    ---200 BK
    ---200 FR as 2(25RA/25LA, 50 CU)

*Set 2*
    2000 FR TT as steady DPS *26:44
    ---400 as 4(50BK, 50 FR-CU)

*Set 3*
    12x50 FR on 1:00
    *35-35-35-34-34-34-34-34-34-33-33-32, 1:00 rest, right into...
    8x100 FR on 2:00
    *1:18, 1:17, 1:17, 1:17, 1:17, 1:16, 1:16, 1:16

Warm Down
    600 FR Drills, BK, Fly & BR
    Dryland bands

Comments
    Beginning to feel more in control with the pacing. Overall technical focus is to swim FR with a consistent EVF and a steady kick particularly when building the second 25 of each 50.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 4|15|13

Saturday night I did 45 minutes of yoga poses with the Mrs __steve__.
    Sunday was a 45 minute SCM workout consisting of, among other stuff, drills. Later on before bedtime, another (20 minute) yoga session. Today was my first visit to our new (refurbished) LCM pool which is conveniently located within 10 minutes of work. There are no blocks due to the shallow ends, but it's setup for some good training. This is how it went:

1800 LCM

WARMUP
    500 free WFS
    500 drill WFS
    • OAD, fist free, sculling, HPD, and forgot the 5th one

HYPOXIC
    50 fr WF, without breathing
    50 easy

SPRINTS (pushed)
    50 fr @ ~95% to help judge a LCM breathing scheme (32)
    50 easy, 100 easy WFS

50 FK WFS (32)
    50 easy kick

50 fr @ ~95%+ with a breath every 6 (31)
    50 easy, 100 easy WFS

50 fr WFS @ 90% effort building to 95%+ (31)
    150 easy WFS

50 FK WFS (31)
    50 easy kick WFS

50 fr WFS sprint for time (26)
    150 warmdown WFS

I enjoyed this pool not only for a change in environment, but as a more consistent means of a training target.

The 50 without air with fins did make my legs tingle some, but was not really too uncomfortable. At this time I don't think I can make a peak time finless 50 without 2 breaths. The two I 50's I did today were with 5 - 6 breaths.

The flutter kicks done mostly on the surface seemed a little slower than I expected, I'll have to try one under for a distance in a few days.

Aimed for an honest sub 30 on the last sprint and was delighted to see '26' on the watch, although I used fins and a snorkel.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -04/16/2013

by , April 15th, 2013 at 10:59 AM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 150 3:00
    4 X 100 1:50

8 X 100 free 1:45
    Build second 50

3 X 100 kick 2:20
    4 X 50 kick 1:10
    1 X 100 swim

8 X 100 IM 2:00

6 X 200 pull freestyle 3:20
    1-3: long and smooth
    4-6: Descend

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy

4600M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 04/15/13:

by , April 15th, 2013 at 10:37 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    300 FR w/ snorkel/200 BK/200 IM drill

2 x
    4 x 100 on 1:30 followed by 200 FR with agility paddles
    - 25 Kick, 25 Sprint, 50 Pull w/ buoy
    - 1st rd = FR with snorkel, 2nd Rd = Bk

50 EZ

4 x 50 two turn FR on 1:00
    100 IM ez
    8 x 25 on :30
    - 25 FR breathe every 5, 25 sprint IMO

50 ez
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2700 yds/50 min)
    --------------------------------

Nice swim before work today. Felt a bit stiff due to no swimming since Friday, and was able to get some good efforts in (held ~ :30 for the two-turn 50's. Been thinking about something Natalie Coughlin mentioned post-50 Free win at Mesa - taking a few strokes strong before going all out in the sprint. Tried that in with the BK's in the main set.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 04.15.13 - Monday workout

by , April 15th, 2013 at 10:06 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Dave and Danny. Normal Monday aches and pains. I didn't have to referee Saturday but I coached 3 games. Sunday soccer was 7v7 so not quite so much running but we played for an extra 20 minutes or so. This morning, my left knee hurt pretty bad. Pushing off the walls and breaststroke kick both hurt. Once I got going, the pain wore off.

SCY

600 Warm up

8 x 50 - :45
    break
    8 Rounds of:
    * 100 Free - 1:10 (started @ about 1:07 and descended to 1:01)
    * 50 Kick - 1:10
    * 2 x 50 Pull - 1:10
    100 Easy

400 Timed IM Kick (6:50)
    100 Easy

400 Timed IM (5:25)
    250 Easy
    IM wasn't too bad for me. 1st 50 fly was a little too fast and I started paying for it on the 2nd 50. Lived through the backstroke and finished strong w/ a decent second 200.

10 x 100 - 1:20
    Dave pushed me through these. Started @ 1:18 or so and we slowly descended. By #9, we were making 1:10s. Finished the last one on 1:08.

200 Cool down

(5450 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 28 - Monday AM(Taper week 1)

by , April 15th, 2013 at 08:35 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a good day off swimming yesterday, but I was a little grouchy as a result of another bad nights sleep on Saturday. I felt much better this morning waking up 5 mins before the alarm was due to go off and feeling quite awake and fresh for a change. The workout this morning was fun. We were a little cramped for lanes since the pool is setup for LCM, so swam with a couple people I don't normally swim with. As a result the coach decided that I needed to wear a couple of parachutes during the main set so we could all go on the same send off. Despite being tough I actually enjoyed this and ended up still leading the lane at the end of the set!

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup drill
    4x50 over kick drill
    8x100 with snorkel, 25 kick, 25 finger to drill, 50 swim on 1.40

Main set
    8x150 with two parachutes on 2.20
    8x50 kick on 1min
    6x50 drill on 50

Warm down
    500 breathing every 5

Total 4000m
    My coach said we will be going about 5k tonight with more kicking. So first day of taper looks like being a 9k day, which compared to the last few weeks is about 2-3k less than normal.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Nice and strong feeling today

by , April 15th, 2013 at 07:32 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today the water was cold so it made it easy to do a long hard workout just to keep the blood moving and the body warm.

500 Free every 4th lap drill
    500 Free kick w/zomers

This next set is all free with paddles & bouy on a 1:30 base
    100@1:30 went 1:23
    200@3:00 went 2:49
    300@4:30 went 4:12
    400@6:00 went 5:37
    500@7:30 went 6:48

200 free w/snorkle EZ
    100 scull drill w/snorkle
    100 free catch up drill at hips w/snorkle
    100 free underwater recovery w/snorkle

500 free kick w/zoomer
    200 free EZ w/zoomers

Total 3700 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Health Insurance for USMS Coaches

by , April 15th, 2013 at 12:00 AM (Questions from Coaches)
    Q: Why doesn't USMS provide group health insurance for Masters coaches?

A: Group health insurance is a policy that is purchased by an employer for the benefit of the eligible employees of the company. Since there is no employee-employer relationship between Masters coaches and USMS, a group plan is not available.
    Masters coaches may have one or more of the following options to secure health insurance:

• If you are an employee of a facility you may be eligible to participate in your employer's group plan. Ask the human resources department if you are eligible, and if you're not, ask them what it will take to become eligible. Don't be shy about asking. Remember, you're an asset to the facility. You bring your professional skills and knowledge to the pool deck for the benefit of the program and the facility.
    • If your own program employs you and others, you may qualify as your own group. Some states define a small employer group as those that have one to 50 employees. Most states require companies to have two eligible employees to qualify for group coverage.
    • Masters coaches may also apply for an individual health insurance policy. Masters swimmer and insurance agent Blayne Gale of Eagle Strategies in Reno, Nev. says, "Individual policies are rated and priced based on zip codes and the losses being tracked by the insurance companies. Often, healthy insurance candidates can be eligible for the lowest insurance premium." A group policy does not automatically mean a lower rate, so contact an insurance agent for details.
    Tags: insurance
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Eleuthera recap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	7429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	7430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	7431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	7432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	7433The staff at the Island School/ Cape Eleuthera Institute all wear a lot of hats and have to be flexible. Clare and I headed to the boathouse for our 5 am rendezvous with Ron, and learned that Scott would be taking the first shift on kayak. Rachel (who was supposed to take the first kayak shift) was up very late taking care of a student needing medical attention.

Our boat was loaded with kayak and supplies for the day... We only needed to board with our personal items and head for Lighthouse Beach. Ron held a course about 1/2 mile off shore. Traveling around 20 knots was smooth, and the ambient light of the full moon somehow made the air feel warmer. When we arrived at Lighthouse, Ron dropped anchor about 100 yards from the beach. There are some shallow coral formations that were hard to differentiate from the dark areas of turtle grass from topside, but once I goggled up, I could see quite clearly as I swam to the beach accompanied by Scott. It was now about 6:45... A few minutes later than the 6:30 start goal, but with my back to the low cliff, I was facing a full moon; bright white, beams shooting through the scattered clouds and striking the ocean in the distance. Behind me, and out of sight, I could sense the orange-red glow of the soon to be rising sun. What a production. The lighting crew here is top notch!

I stood atop a plastic milk crate that just happened to be lying on the beach, raised my hand, lowered my arm as Scott blew a whistle to signal the boat that we were off. The low level of atmospheric light appeared to be magnified under the waters surface, and the features were quite clear as Scott and I pass through the narrow channel which (see figure 1) is very shallow, and separates the first detached rock from the island proper. Turn right.... Continue.

We hold a steady course at what feels to me like a quarter mile from shore on my right; Scott kayaking steadily along at my ten 'clock; Clare and Ron in the boat... A 22 foot center console inboard-outboard with a t- top canopy. The bottom remains clearly visible in water that I guess ranges from 15 to 30 feet deep. The features alternate between clean sandy bottom, sea grasses, and coral heads. I see turtles, lobsters, tube sponges, sea fans, sting rays, friendly little colorful reef fish, etc. It's a moving picture show I've become familiar with, so... Nothing really distracting, and no strong urges to interrupt the swim for a free dive to the bottom for a closer inspection. Onward. Before my 3 hour feed I notice the sea grassed bent acutely towards us. The ebb has begun a bit earlier than I guessed it would... But it was purely a guess, as the tide data locations are each more than thirty miles away, one on the east of the island, and one on the west of the island. From east to west there is about a 2 hour difference, so the theory is to calculate the distance from one of those points and take your best guess. Example.... Midway between the two: add an hour from the east or subtract an hour from the west. Yes, it's crude, but since we are heading in a westerly direction, I expect the ebb to be longer than 6 hours. Still gives us plenty of time to finish with a flood.

Hour 4, and like clockwork, the transfer boat arrives with Charlie and Rachel. For a couple of minutes I swim ahead while Scott and Rachel switch out on kayak, but soon, Rachel paddles up to my left, Charlie and Clare keeping watch from "Dave and Di", and Ron and Scott are heading back to the dock where I'm sure other duties await them.

I'm only marginally familiar with the distances and landmarks along the course on this stretch and I ask Rachel if we are approaching Bannerman Town. She lets me know that we are coming up on Davis Marina... Bannerman Town was way back. Davis Marina is 10.8 miles from where we started... half way at 6hrs 40mins. Two miles beyond Davis is Plum Creek. I vaguely remember swimming to a small wreck during a previous Total Immersion Swim Camp visit to Plum Creek, and Rachel confirms... We will be going right over it. Plum Creek is at about 13 miles from Lighthouse... Another mile and a half and we are passing Deep Creek. This is the last settlement we pass from Rock Sound until we arrive at the Island School. A few faculty members live here, and there are a couple of favorite establishments at the crossroad... Friendly Bob's bar and liqueur store and Sharil's Restaurant...No Swearing: No Hustling. http://www.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com/sharils.html

I'm not sure where we were when the next team change occurred, but I do remember that Jai was kayaking and Rob had taken over at the wheel while the ebb was still going strong. I recognized Diel Point by the monument standing tall. Things were starting to look familiar now as we were approaching the stretch favored for our early morning " coach's swims" from camps past. From Diel Point it was easy to see the Chub Point rock pile memorial. Up to this point, we have been moving through shallow water... Less than 40 feet, but now, Jai and I were at the edge of the canyon. To my left was the abyss and we traveled the knife edge for a bit before going deep. The sun was now pretty low in the sky, and the synchronized change in atmospheric light and my view to black was intense. Three silver trigger fish bumbled by... From a distance, i thought they were sunfish. I stopped to watch them pass. Large groups of pink moon jelly fish were bubbling up from the deep. Occasionally bumping into me and then tumbling away.

We passed Chub Point wide, and it felt like things were flooding now, but without a visual lock on the seagrass, I really had no point of reference. The shoreline here is very familiar and soon we would pass High Rock and Fourth Hole Beach. That iconic photo; fisheye lens of Terry Laughlin and me was taken right at High Rock. This one is at Fourth Hole: http://www.totalimmersion.net/open-water-camps

Scott and Rachel were heading out from Fourth Hole to join us for the home stretch... Scott swimming, and Rachel kayaking. I didn't see Scott until he was right next to me, but I was able to anticipate their arrival as Jai was waving and raising his paddle as they approached. The green lights that I attached to the deck lines of the kayak were again visible to me, and I assumed that the green strobe on my goggle strap was equally visible. Night had fallen, but the bottom was again visible. It was hard to differentiate between the streetlights, marina lights and headlights. A large welcoming crew was waiting for our landing, and two of the school vans had driven close to the beach with their headlights lighting the finish. The flood was ripping around the point. We shot past the intended finish by about a hundred yards.

13 hours 41 minutes 55 seconds... A beautiful journey!
    My exit through the rocky strip was surprisingly graceful... I had warned everyone not to be alarmed by what would almost certainly be a spastic-stumble-crawl to the beach. Better to prepare for the worst.
    Rather than swim back to the boat, I opt for a van ride thinking I could probably be showered, dried off ,and dressed before the boat docks and unloads. Ron gives me the shirt off his back and the hat off his head for the ride. Karen delivers food… some delicious wahoo and pasta. I’m too tired to eat, but wake up early the next day and devour it all.

I got a bit burned. Perhaps the sunscreen was a bit past its best by date. Clare wants to go for a swim, and a little cool down swim sounds like a good idea. We do a few laps around the reef balls outside of the dining area and then swim north toward the CEI dorms. We swim into a group of 12 spotted eagle rays in four feet of water. They divide and swim around us… one bumps Clare and they swim onward. It’s a lazy day for us that goes by quickly, and a celebratory dinner at Sharil’s was the perfect way to gather all those who made the swim possible and talk about future plans to introduce this amazing place to more swimmers.

So many thanks to an amazing crew!
    Team coordinator: Karen Knight
    Pilots: Ron Knight, Charlie Sandor, Rob Lloyd
    Kayakers: Scott Aland, Rachel Shapiro, Jai Leal
    Mixologist, observer, better half: Clare
    …and to those responsible for introducing me to the amazing swimming world of South Eleuthera: Terry Laughlin, Justin Dimmell, Andrew Farrell, and Chris Maxey

Updated April 14th, 2013 at 05:51 PM by chaos

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sunday, April 14

by , April 14th, 2013 at 05:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was dead today from deep tissue + yesterday's all day gardening session. So I just hopped in and went 1650 EZ.

We definitely had crazy buyers. When they found out we hired our own engineer, in a huff, they signed releases to the K based on their guy's report. Then they submitted an email detailing repairs they wanted and were in another huff when they found we had put the house back on the market. I'm not sure they even read our engineer's report or his rebuttal of their engineer Their engineer (who we guess may not be one since the report wasn't stamped) thought we should do things like rip up 1920s floors to make the joists closer and rip out walls to put in copper piping for one drain that was in perfect working order. The report was basically a wish list of structural upgrades. And they attempted to outright lie and say their inspection company didn't do repairs, which was patently false (do they think we can't use google?). Today, they said they would hire a third engineer if we would agree, in advance, to pay whatever repairs that engineer suggested. ?!?!?! Really whacko buyers to think any sane person would agree to that. I'm not sure if they're just idiots or they think it's a buyers market here or what ... Even their home inspector said it was a unique property in wonderful shape for an old house with numerous upgrades already (new garage, new guest house, new pool, new windows, new roof, new wiring, new kitchen). I'm glad we washed our hands of them. Now I have to vacate the house because another prospective buyer is coming over. And it looks like we may have to have another open house during Zones next weekend. Not the best timing, oh well. Jimby and Stud, who are staying here, will have to be super neat. :-)

I'm just so very glad they precipitously signed a release so that we could put it back on the market right away. I hope the next prospective buyers are not insane. Please.

Updated April 14th, 2013 at 06:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Thursday thru Saturday

by , April 13th, 2013 at 11:50 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Just when things were going really well and I felt like momentum was headed in the right direction... bang... caught my foot just right on the tiles during a flip turn and sliced it open pretty good; nice and deep.

I was in the middle of a nice hard workout too... in the second set of what was supposed to be 3 x 4 x 100 on 3:00 at about 95%. I was coming in at 1:12-1:15, my fastest times ever in freestyle, the lactic acid was building up nicely, I was at about 2600 for the workout... hoping to get in about 4000, when I cut my foot. I got it out of the water and over the drain on the deck before it started bleeding too badly, but I could tell it was deep. The lifeguard helped me to stop the bleeding and bandage it; but there would be no cool-down, which really sucked. I pushed the skin backed together, hoping it would heal up on its own and not require stitches, and it stopped bleeding pretty quickly. Neosporin and clean dressing for the rest of the day and it seemed to be coming along nicely. I did some yoga yesterday morning before work and didn't have any problems, and left the bandage off... maybe the air would help it heal. But last night when I got home I noticed it had been oozing and left a stain in my sock, so I decided to take the night off from swimming.

Today I used the skin-crack sealer and took it to the pool for a good 3500; I kept an eye on the foot and the wound never re-opened, so I think I'm in the clear. Tomorrow I'll be back on track. Today's workout was dreamed up by Scotty. My freestyle was a lot slower than Thursday's workout, but I think maybe I was still sore from that effort and from not helping my recovery along with a good cool-down. A lot of IM work today:

WU:
    400 EZ free
    4 x 100 on 2:00 (1:30-1:33)
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (:40-:41)

MS:
    5 x 200 IM on 5:00 (3:28-3:34)
    5 x 100 IM on 2:15 (1:40-1:45)
    100 recovery
    400 IM (mid 7:20s)

CD:
    500 EZ free

About 70 minutes in total. My endurance on fly feels a lot better. And my kick on breast is coming along, but it was not a super fast day by any means.

Afterward I got in 30 minutes with the core and weights; 5 minutes of core work (bird dog, front plank, flutter kicks), then:

3 x 10 lunges
    3 x 10 military press
    3 x 10 squats
    3 x 10 incline press
    3 x 10 sumo squats
    3 x 10 upright rows
    ---
    3 x 10 bench press
    3 x 10 seated row*
    3 x 10 decline press
    3 x 10 lat pull downs*

*70 lbs; everything else was with 20 lb dumbbells and alternated exercises w/ each set (lunges w/ military press for ex.), without any rest between sets or exercises. I'm surprised at how I can work up a pretty good sweat after about 15 minutes of this.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sat. April 13 - Long Course Meters

The Nat was set up for long course meters today - still have only swam LCM maybe 10 times. The length and lack of turns is so different, especially for backstroke. I know a lot of swimmers lack LCM but I'm just not there yet. Still, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be and I had a good swim even though I had to leave early to get to Serving the City as One.

Swam with Dave, Dave, Peter, and Brandon. Don't know what the intervals were, I just followed them.

400 Free
    4x50 Back
    400 Free
    3x200 Free
    100 Free w/paddles
    4x50 Back
    100 Free w/paddles
    3x200 Free
    8x100 Free
    8x50 Free

3800 meters
    75 minutes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Good Saturday at the Y

by , April 13th, 2013 at 02:50 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    The pool was actually a great temp today probably about 83. Felt good.

Topped off workout with a visit to the hot tub.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers

5x200@3:00 free w/paddles & bouy went 2:47, 2:47, 2:45, 2:43, 2:36

8x25@1:00 shooters w/monofin
    8x25@1:00 fly w/monofin
    200 fly kick w/monofin
    8x25@:45 1 arm fly w/monofin
    8x25@:30 fly w/monofin

500 free kick w/zoomers
    500 free w/snorkel every 4th lap scull

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 27 - Saturday

by , April 13th, 2013 at 12:49 PM (After a long rest)
    My daughter and I swam at the same time today(different lanes) and I suspect this is going to be the new norm for years to come! The seniors do dry land for an hour so there were extra LCM lanes while they worked out. I swam about an hour in the 50m pool and then moved to short course yard pool for the final part of my workout. Today I still felt sore and stiff but not swimming last night made a lot of difference in my energy level. This is giving me confidence that when I taper I will start to feel much better and stronger.

Warm up
    1000 free with snorkel
    10x50 with snorkel on 50 swum as 25 kick, 25 over kick free

Main Set
    5x400 alternating pull, swim on 5.30
    6x50 kick on 45 with fins

Warm down(in scy)
    10x50 kick with fins on 45
    10x50 catchp on 45
    200 easy

Total 3800m, 1200yds

Swim bench
    after swimming I went in the weight room and used the vasa swim bench. I did 3 sets of hard pull for 7mins per set, with enough time to grab water between sets. Even this felt pretty good. I always feel the soreness between my lat and tricep for the first few minutes, then it goes away as I get going.

I had a great set of 400 meter swims today and i am really happy with my progress. I went 4.50, 4.55(swim), 4.45, 4.52(swim), 4.55. I have not done a main set of 400s LCM since I got back in the pool and despite these hurting muscle-wise I felt strong and when I went to push harder I was able to pick it up. I start my taper next week which I am so looking forward to. Roll on Nationals!

Updated April 14th, 2013 at 11:03 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Saturday, April 13, 2013

by , April 13th, 2013 at 11:09 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Did weights for 45 min before going to practice like I usually do on Tues & Thurs - however, unlike Tues & Thurs, I was swimming with ATAC and not basically solo - usually not a good idea when my arms are achy from weights. But I lasted for 2800 before my arms went into failure, so I consider that a success. Might not have lasted that long if coach hadn't been fussing at the kids & giving us such totally delightful intervals!

600 back/free
    200 - 200 - 100 pull (missed the 2nd 100 bcs my suit was so loose around the shoulders I couldn't focus on my swimming & had to go put on another suit!!)
    4 x 100 K on 2:30
    100 easy
    4 x 100 stroke free on 2:00
    100 easy
    4 x 400 @ 7:00 (used the last one to cool down)
    Total: 3200 LCM

I'm thinking it might not be such a good idea to do weights right before a "real" practice. Perhaps I should either a) skip weights on Saturday, b) not swim with ATAC on Saturday & just swim leisurely on my own (booring!) or c) swim twice - once a quality workout with ATAC, then go to the gym - mess around & get shopping and gardening & housework done & then go back later in the afternoon for a leisurely 2000. Leaning towards "C" at the moment - might need to hire a gardener, pool boy, maid and housekeeper though, lol. Getting old may be better than the alternative, but it still sucks.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 04.13.13 - Saturday workout

by , April 13th, 2013 at 10:42 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Dave and Brandon at the HSV nat. Not sure what the intervals were exactly. Most of this was just last in, first out.

LCM

800 Easy IM warm-up

400 Free
    50 Kick
    4 x 50 Fly
    50 Kick
    400 Free

200 Free
    200 IM
    200 Free
    100 Pull
    4 x 50 Back
    100 Pull
    200 Free
    200 IM
    200 Free

8 x 100 odds free, evens IM Order (the fly hurt really bad but I made it)
    2 Rounds of:
    * 4 x 50 IM Order smooth
    * 4 x 50 Free fast

(5100m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Friday, April 12, 2013 7:00-9:00pm

by , April 13th, 2013 at 01:09 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Another good workout tonight. I'm getting back into racing shape really quick after my vacation a few weeks ago. I have a USAS meet coming up a week from now, and then it'll be 2 1/2 weeks after that till USMS Nats. I can't wait.

Warmup:

400 (25 Free/25 V-sit scull)
    (400/400)

12 x 100 SDK w/ long fins (4 @ 1:30, 4 @ 1:25, 4 @ 1:20) held them all around 1:10 or so
    (1200/1600)

10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:40 (went 1:02-1:04s)
    (1000/2600)

16 x 25 SDK w/ long fins underwater @ 1:00
    (400/3000)

Main Set:

4 x 200 Choice Stroke non-Free @ 5:30 (These are Fast)
    • #1 Fly - 2:20 Felt strong
    • #2 Back - 2:34
    • #3 Breast - 2:50
    • #4 Back - 2:35

4 x 200 Free @ 4:30 (again, these are FAST)

• a few folks got out at this time, so I moved over a lane so Jared and I could race each other.
    • #1 - went 2:06 - thought this was a bit fast...
    • #2 - again 2:06, right with Jared
    • #3 - another 2:06, I tried to get out ahead of him, but he caught me on the final 50
    • #4 - wasn't going to lose this one, or at least I was going to go down trying if so...went 2:03, got out after it, built the 3rd 50, and full sprint kick coming home the final 50. I caught a glimpse of John looking over at the pace clock as we were finishing, normally he doesn't do that, so he must've thought we were moving.
    • My best time is a 1:55.8 in a meet, so to be 7 seconds off of that in a practice set it good news.

(1600/4600)

6 x 25 AFAP @ 1:00

• First 3 non Free - did Fly
    • Second 3 Free

(150/4750)

300 Cooldown

----------------------------
    5050 Yards
  19. Friday, April 12, 2013

by , April 12th, 2013 at 09:47 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    This morning was awesome! Woke up 2 minutes before the alarm went off - pool water was pleasantly cool, and I wasn't achy - in fact, I actually did workout the way I remember doing it.
    500 back/free
    500 locomotive pull
    300 locomotive kick
    5 x 100 something - don't remember
    200 stroke/free, drill/swim by 25's
    12 x 100 @ 1:40, one minute rest after #11, sprint #12
    200 easy
    500 P w/snorkel
    500 P
    6 x 50 kick no fins
    2 x 100 easy
    Total: 4900

Beautiful morning swims!

I Think I've figured out how to do weights & swim. Swam after weights yesterday - slow & crappy, but I swam. Today just as we started the first kick, I ate 3 shock blox, after the kick, I ate the rest. I was not achy at all today, and although I was slightly slower than usual, I did much closer to my usual pace in workout. Big success in my book!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Workout 04/12/13: eve

by , April 12th, 2013 at 07:12 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    The strange day/week continues. Got to the pool, guard runnijg late due to track practice. (I know, but it is true ). My hour swim cut down to 30min was not horrible, as we did some group sharing in the back hallway. Planned to do a IM test set from PWB, but did the first part only and got out.

200 fr
    4 x 50 IMO on 1min
    200 ez
    200 IM
    200 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/1000 yds/15 min)
    -------------------------------

Not that the times were spectacular, with 4 people in the lane, but I guess my watch didn't save the splits. Poo.

Had grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner, thanks to Lena.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts