50's at 90%, pulls are cruise with perfect form
    2 x 50 @ 45
    100 pull @ 1:45
    4 x 50 @ 50
    200 pull @ 3:30
    6 x 50 @ 55
    300 pull @ 5:00

Hot Tub

We had another set to do but worked on starts instead. I felt better today than I have the past couple of weekends. This will help my confidence level leading into our state meet next weekend. I am starting to bet excited about next weekend and am happy with the spacing of my events. I think that I only have two events each day that will be back to back. Time to go to work to make a little extra cash for our Sarasota trip in June.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Fri, Feb. 1, 2013 7:00-8:30pmish

by , February 2nd, 2013 at 01:02 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Had a "sub" coach tonight...just one of our assistants. John is off at the H.S. boys district meet this weekend watching his son and the others swim this weekend. We had strict orders to follow the written workout, and any deviations or whining about it would be noted by the assistant. <-- that'll be us on Monday when John is back.
    The practice actually went along pretty well, and was a tough one.

Warmup:

300 Free
    6 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:10
    6 x 50 Free Pull @ :50
    (900/900)

10 x 100 Kick w/ fins (25 "core kick", 25 SDK, 25 core kick, 25 Str. Flutter Kick) @ 2:00
    (1000/1900)

Main Set: he gave us each set as we went along, so we didn't exactly know what was coming...though I had a hunch after a bit.

10 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (held 1:10/1:11s)

2:00 rest

10 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (held 1:09/1:10s)

2:00 rest

10 x 100 Free @ 1:10 (1:07/:09/:09/:09/:09/:12/:08/:08:/:07/:06)
    (3000/4900)

This was basically the end of practice at 8:30pm...we did do some bucket pulling relays and a 400 cooldown as well, but that was it.

-------------------------------
    5500 Yards

The first 5 100s of the last set were touch n go after #1. I missed #6, and knew it about halfway through that I wasn't going to make it. So for #6, I ended up going @ 1:20, then dropped back to the 1:10 interval for the last 4 of them.
    The other 2 girls in my lane didn't make any of them after #1. They did swim them all, and managed to stay out of my way as I was coming which was nice. It was a good set...just not something my body was truly ready for tonight. With my change of job at work, I'm walking a lot more now around a huge packing line, so my body is tired. Have to work at 5:00 in the morning, and will see if we can get the job done so I can make practice at 8:00am as well!
  3. Friday, Feb 1 - Getting February Started

After Tuesday the main group starts tapering for Auburn - of course they can taper a while before they get down to me - speed wise, not distance. It was a small group today - Peter, Dave, Dave, and Roger were there and I swam with Keith.

This was a tough weekand I still felt some weariness. But Friday ended on a good note and a one big area of stress was lifted. I spent a lot of this week just saying - "Lord, my trust is in You."

Some of my speed and endurance was back and I felt pretty good about the workout. I held pace fairly well; but, I couldn't speed up - my arms just going go faster.

2 x 200 Free on 3:00
    5 x 300 Free on 4:30 ( 4:05; :08; :07; :07; :02)
    100 Kick
    5 x200 on 3:00 (2:40; :40; :42; :46; 47 - just couldn't hold 2:40)
    150 Kick
    5 x 100 Free on 1:30 (1:18; :19; :21; :21; :21)
    100 Kick
    5 x 100 Back on 1:45 (kept below 1:30 - no paddles!)
    100 Kick
    500 Back w/paddles (7:13)
    500 Free w/paddles (7:08)
    4 x 100 IM (1:35 descended down to 1:30)

5850 yards
    110 minutes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 2|01|13

by , February 1st, 2013 at 08:31 PM (Blog)
    Dryland stuff (1|31|13) at base gym

isolateral leg push
    • 3 sets of (9, 6, 4) reps of (185, 230, 275) lbs on each leg

leg curls
    • 4 sets

calves
    • 4 sets

30 situps with purple elastic resistance

various purple band shoulder movements

lat pulldowns
    • 4 sets

band loaded dips
    • 2 sets of 10

SCY

1925 yards

WARMUP

• 500 with snorkel

SET I
    500 kick with some fins that were laying on the deck

• ~8:30

SET II
    2 x 50 @ 1:00 FLY with fins

• 38, 42

SET III
    2 x 25 @ 1:00 FLY with fins

• 15, 13

SET IV
    5 x 50 @ ~1:30 Free from block, easy sprint

• muscle memory for start, sequence, breakout, and form

SET V
    27 x 25 @ ~ 1:10 Free from block
    • same as above

A practice for next week's SCY meet. Fins were very helpful in assisting the fly however they were an old community pair, and kept being kicked off. Can't wait until mine arrive.

Taxes filed with turbotax today, rest of my winter will be much better compared to previous years (green digits this time).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Workout 02/01/13:

by , February 1st, 2013 at 07:47 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Feling a bit better, but still clogged up from the neck up. Had a meeting at the corporate office this morning, stopped by my wife's grandma's house on the way home to visit, then got to the pool for a swim:

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

4 x 100 on :10 SR with snorkel
    - odds = kick with board
    - evens = FR with agility paddles

Go four times through:
    - 2 x 25 on :05 SR (odds = underwater SDK, even ez FR)
    - 50 FAST IMO by round, into
    - 100 FR stroke/stretch
    - :10 SR bwt round

200 BK with agility paddles, talked to a tri guy looking for stroke helps
    4 x 50 on :15 SR with snorkel and pull buoy, fast turnover focus
    2 x 100 with snorkel, dolphin dives in deep
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2600 yds/55 min)
    ---------------------------------

Still not pushing the intervals too much until this head cold clears up, but it felt really good to get into the water. I am now off for a week from work; plan to do come projects around the house (not too many, I hope ) and visit Emma in Philly for a few days. Tom, when does the group meet at Ridley on Thursday or Friday, and can I drop in?

**Breaking news ***
    Harvard meet info (March) is now posted. See thread here: http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...and-22-24-2013
    I am trying to get the weekend off to compete, but since my boss is on vacation the chances of this happening are near zero.

Updated February 1st, 2013 at 09:03 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Friday, February 1, 2013

by , February 1st, 2013 at 06:41 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    SCY@FGCU Aquatics Center
    Air temp of 57, pool at 79, 100% water clarity.
    Sunny skies with humidity at 48%
    Solo, coach Chuck on deck for Set 1,2&3

Warm up
    200 FR DPS ABPT
    200 BK as 25 smooth/25 Fast
    4x100 Kick IMO by 100
    4x50 FR Swim on :50; 33-32-32-30

*Set 1*
    5(4x100 on 1:15, 1:20, 1:30, 1:40, 1:15) 1:00 rest per round

1. on 1:15 - 1:09, 1:09, 1:08, 1:07 HR130
    2. on 1:20 - 1:07, 1:07, 1:06, 1:06 HR160
    3. on 1:30 - 1:06, 1:06, 1:06, 1:05 HR170
    4. on 1:40 - 1:05, 1:05, 1:04, 1:03 HR180 (took xtra min rest before round 5)
    5. on 1:15 - 1:06, 1:07, 1:07, 1:06 HR180

300 BK DPS ABPT
    400 Fly DPS DR/Swim
    300 FR DPS ABPT w/snorkle/agility paddles

*Set 2*
    6(3x50 on 40, 45, 50, 40, 45, 50) 1:00 rest per round

1. on :40 - 33/33/32
    2. on :45 - 32/31/30
    3. on :50 - 31/30/30
    4. on :40 - 32/32/31
    5. on :45 - 31/31/30
    6. on :50 - 30/30/29

100 BR kick w/bd
    200 BR as 50 kick/bk,50 Swim
    200 FR DPS ABPT

*Set 3*
    500 FR for time, no dive
    First 100 cannot be faster than 1:10, total time 5:45 or better

1. 1:10.4
    2. 1:08.3
    3. 1:08.1
    4. 1:07.0
    5. 1:06.9 (5:40.7)

300 BK DPS ABPT

*Set 4*
    1000 FR Steady State Swim, breath 3rd stroke
    300 Fly as 25RA/25LA/25Swim w/snorkle

Warm down
    400 FR DPS ABPT

Comments:
    Pace control 100s & 50s FR on variable intervals, 500 FR for time w/slowest 100 first. Before 500TT, did band stretches, drank water. No speedwork today, will do bursts and short FAST swims over the weekend.

Updated February 1st, 2013 at 07:02 PM by fdtotten

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/04/2013

by , February 1st, 2013 at 03:56 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:00 3:00
    4 X 75 1:15 1:05
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:15
    5 X 100 kick-second 50 fast- 2:15
    1 X 100 swim

2 X 75 1:30
    4 X 25 fast:40 #4 on 1:20
    Four rounds. Round 1 fly, 2 back, 3 breast 4 choice/no free

3 X 200-negative split- 3:00
    4 X 50 descend 1-4 1:00
    Two rounds, pulling freestyle

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Fast Fri Feb 1st, 2013 scy

by , February 1st, 2013 at 03:39 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fast Fri Feb 1st, 2013 scy

Days Till SC Zones

went to Lady Gaga last night in Houston, it's 170 miles from my house
    we got home at 2 am then I woke up at 5:40 am to go to fast friday

Whitney Coached
    6:30 - 8:00 dove in around 6:32
    SCY UT Swim Center main pool, north end
    Swam with Mike David, & Pat
    Beside Tyler Todd, Keith, Chris

Warm up
    swim till 6:18
    dove in 1st which rarely happens

Main Set

10 x 50 on 1:00
    odds fast evens easy right into

5 x 100 on 2:00
    2 fast 1 easy 2 fast right into

5 x 100 on 2:00
    2 fast 1 easy 2 fast right into

rested several minutes
    100 K no board from a dive
    went 1:02

did flutter kicking with a board
    10 x 25
    odds easy evens fast

Next Meet:

2013 South Central SCY Zone Championships
    Fri Apr 5 - Sun Apr 7
    UT Austin, TX
    Days Till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Swimming

by , February 1st, 2013 at 01:35 PM (After a long rest)
    Over the last ten years I have thought about improving my health, and from time to time have done different things about it; however nothing really seemed to drive me to make life altering changes. I joined and rejoined a local gym, like others I made and broke New Yearís resolutions, but nothing really stuck. Something happened this past year, I donít really know why, but I do know what. SwimmingÖ some serious swimming.

In April 2012 my daughter joined a local swim team. I had wanted both my kids to swim, like I did. My twelve year old son tried a few years ago but swimming was not for him. My daughter on the other hand was a natural, where my son swam with feet down in the water dragging his body through the water with as much effort as his little body would permit, my daughter was horizontal, flat, effortless, and could get from one end of the pool to the other without breathing. I was excited when she took after her old man and joined a swimming club, but still I did not have any desire to get back in myself. Mid-year my company entered the Dallas corporate challenge, and despite being intrigued by the idea of a corporate swim team, my displeasure at my body weight and shape put a road block in my participation. I was never a really big guy, and despite not really feeling like I was a vein person, vanity took over and I did not volunteer when the initial email went out. Several weeks went by and one of my colleagues asked if I was interested in participating in the swimming. I struggled with directly saying know and instead told the truth that I was supposed to be out of the country on a Business Development trip in the middle east. An email from HR asked if they could put me down as an alternate if the trip was cancelled. The week before the event my trip did get cancelled, but still I did not feel compelled to notify anyone and was trying to avoid the event. My colleague found out about my trip cancellation and I received an email from HR letting me know that the corporate challenge started at noon on Sunday. I was cornered!!!

At the event I wore board shorts to cover my belly, and hoped in and out of the warm-up quickly despite others at the event having similar looks and bodies. The corporate challenge went very quickly but as my event approached butterflies that I used to get when I competed in college came back, and I started to get the old but familiar buzz associated with a swimming race. My particular event came and went in a flash. The dive went fine, and the first length was unremarkable, the turn was over in a flash and as I broke the surface out of the corner of my eye I saw another swimmer. The second length hurt and continued to hurt the close to the finish I got, but I also felt something I had not felt in 20 years, the desire to win. Obviously swimming is not mortal combat but for a brief couple of seconds, nothing else mattered except winning. The pain went to the back of my mind, still there but second to the desire to hit the wall before my competition. Honestly at the end of the race I could not tell you whether I won, instead I felt a buzz, the buzz of racing, the hurt of competing and the thrill of completing something more meaningful than a race. I had reconnected with an inner self I had left behind 20 years earlier.

It took me a few weeks to realize I wanted more of this feeling, and signed up for the local masterís team. Again I was embarrassed by the belly and not necessarily what others thought but rather what I thought of myself, my own lack of self-image. This time however I had a different feeling, I had the inner feeling fresh in my mind from the corporate challenge and this was stronger than the shame of my belly. I joined the local masterís team and at my first practice it was hell, pure hell. I was lapped more than once, but there was encouragement. There were people who had similar stories to mine. People who wanted to feel good about themselves, people who meditated in the pool, crazy men and women who got an adrenalin rush at 4.30 in the morning at the thought of jumping into 74F water and burning 1000-2000 calories over the course of an hour or two. I know itís probably hard to believe but I even woke up early excited at the thought of going to the pool.

A comment from the team coach about a team rule requiring men to wear briefs or jammers instead of board shorts even motivated me to buy a pair of size 36 swim jammers. Further I was motivated to lose weight for the first time in my life, despite the feeling of embarrassment about my increasing waistline over the last ten years. In my desire to lose weight was not motivated by vanity, but rather a desire to swim faster. Before setting myself any swim goals, I set myself a weight target. I wanted to drop from my starting 223 to 190. My coach had indicated he felt that I needed to drop 30lbs to get to where I wanted time wise, so one day I just decided to do it. I did not wait for New Year or the following Monday, I just said I am going to do it. I used myfitnesspal on my iPad, and challenged my wife to join me. I wanted help; because I knew I had some serious food and drink vices. My pension is for dairy products, bread, and beer. Somehow I managed to get through the initial urges and after a week the diet became much easier. Not intentionally, but again somewhere deep inside I made choices like, an extra 15 minutes of swimming vs. a beer(after all they both have the same number of calories), one is calories in, the other is calories out. I stopped focusing on the goal and instead did small things, made small choices always with the intent of swimming faster.

Gradually my swimming became easier and my weight loss became more apparent. First I went from 36 jammers to 34s, and then to 32ís, my weight dropped at 3-5lbs per week, my workouts went from the one being lapped to the one doing the lapping.

On Christmas Eve I stuck around an extra 30 minutes to drop a few extra calories and weighed in at the end of practice. I was nervous thinking I would not hit my target, but I hit it. I weighed in at 188.8. I had made my goal. I felt even better about myself. In hindsight, whether I hit my 190 goal or not I had made a life style change. I was having fun, I had enjoyed the journey, I was swimming fast. Not as fast as I wanted but I was swimming fast!

Over Christmas I decided that I wanted to take the next step in my journey, I wanted that feeling I had at the corporate challenge; not just the feeling I got from practicing, I wanted that feeling I got when I raced.

I emailed my coach and asked him if he could help me develop a program aimed at competing at the US Nationals in May. He responded very quickly and suggested I stuck around after the next practice. After practice we discussed my desire. He pressed me on what I really wanted and I responded that I wanted to be competitive at Nationals. He pressed me again and I finally said I wanted to win Nationals. He smiled and said he would help me. We developed a program based on 3 week cycles. The idea was to build up my pool time and yardage over the course of several months. Swimmers typical build yardage throughout the season and then taper for major meets. This usually involves building yardage over an extended period of time and then reducing yardage and increasing speed training over a much shorter period, the net result being that for a short period of time you end up with a ton of energy that you can channel into very quick races at your desired competition. We worked out that we would do 6 cycles culminating in a 1 cycle taper prior to US Masters Nationals on 9th May in Indianapolis.

With the training program set I still needed to get qualifying times to make it to Indianapolis and compete in the events I wanted to compete in. I have always been more of distance and middle distance swimmer, than a sprinter, however I wanted to swim in as many events as I could and decided to compete in all freestyle swimming events, this program was always called the ladder; consisting of the 1000, the 500, the 200, the 100 and the 50. Unlike age group swimming, where there is a swim meet nearly every weekend, masters swimming has far fewer events and competing requires traveling further. I signed up for my first event in Bryan, Texas on 19th January, and entered the 200, 100 and 50 free events. Once of my team mates had warned me that the events went very quickly and not to enter too many events or else I would be doing nonstop racing. Race day finally came and my daughter, my mother and I left Rockwall at about 6.30am and headed down to Bryan (near College Station). The pool was at an Aerofit fitness center on the outskirts of town. Luckily it was easy to find. Unfortunately the pool was rather old, the facility was cold, but worst of all the pool was shallow; so shallow that I hit my hand on the bottom of the pool on a couple of turns. With all that I still had a blast, I won all three races, made all three qualifiers and even had people telling me how inspired they were by my swims (talk about an ego rush).

Despite work being hectic, I have yet to miss a morning practice and have made time after work and at the weekends to increase my workouts and my swimming yardage. Even when I went away with work I went to the usms.org website and found masters teams who I could train with. I have swum with teams in Alexandria, Toronto, Omaha and Tampa so far. I even discovered that there are international teams if I travel internationally. Where once I struggled to get out of bed and go to the hotel gym while traveling, I would now set my alarm for 4.15am to make it to the pool at 5am to swim with a group of people I had never met before. All to jump into cold water and bust my ass, all in the search of that feeling; my lungs screaming for more air, my muscles and joints burning, that resulted in an inner calm I craved, that inner rush of swimming fast.

I donít know if this feeling will last and honestly I am not thinking that far ahead to even really worry about it. I do have lofty goals but for the first time in a long while I am living in the moment, I am having fun and I am swimming fast.
    Categories
    Weight loss
  10. Wek 17 - Long friday

by , February 1st, 2013 at 01:11 PM (After a long rest)
    This was a wooping. I got back from DC at around 10pm and did not get home til closer to 11pm. The alarm came early but I felt good in the warmup. The main set was a 4200 yard high quality long set, that absolutely tore me up.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
    1x100 on 1.03
    6x100 on 1.20
    2x100 on 1.03
    5x100 on 1.20
    3x100 on 1.03
    4x100 on 1.20
    4x100 on 1.03
    3x100 on 1.20
    5x100 on 1.03
    2x100 on 1.20
    6x100 on 1.03
    1x100 on 1.20

Warm down
    300 easy

Total 5000

I held most of the 1.03s but then struggled on the first of the next set on the 1.20s. This hurt like nothing I have done in my comeback to date. With that said I felt good I did it. I am going to sleep all day tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Brrrr! Friday, Feb 1st, 2013

by , February 1st, 2013 at 09:31 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Cold again this morning! Thirty degrees outside at 5:30am. Water a toasty 83 tho. Determined to try and get caught back up on my GTD, so even though we got in a bit later (lifeguards were removing the tarps) I stayed until I was at 5000.

600 back/free
    3 x 200 P w/20sec rest btwn ea
    12 x 50 @ 1:00
    100 easy
    12 x 100 @ 1:40 (easy interval - got ~ 15+ sec rest)
    one min rest
    100 AFAP
    100 easy
    600 K (200 w/board, 100 w/out, repeat)
    3 x 300 P
    300 breast/free thingy
    Total: 5000 LCM

So excited - Terry told us it just a high volume day tomorrow, no goal sets!! Tomorrow it's supposed to by 27 in the AM. Yipes! Guess I'd better bring my Parka!
    I actually had this weird dream last night about trying to swim with my Parka on & my hand paddles - I remember complaining to the coach that I didn't know what was the matter with me, but I just couldn't get my arms out of the water today. Dreams are so strange, lol!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 02.01.13 - Friday workout

by , February 1st, 2013 at 09:23 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Shoulder pain has gone down considerably. I'm still putting away the paddles until after the meet. Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Roger. Keith and Dave did their own thing in the adjacent lane.

SCY

700 Warm up

8 x 50 - :50 IM Order x 2
    2:00 Rest
    10 x 100 IM - 1:25
    50 Easy
    Made the IMs (1:22s-1:23s). We did this late last year and I made it a lot easier. I'm far more worn out right now.

8 x 100 Up/down Kick - 1:40 (:05) base stroke fly
    50 Easy

4 rounds of (IM Order by round):
    * 50 Kick - 1:10
    * 25 Stroke, no breath - :30
    * 25 Stroke, no breath - :30

5 x 200 - 3:00 Convert Free -> Fly (made it - 2:59)

200 Cool down

(5000 Total)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Long Course Friday and a well rounded one at that

by , February 1st, 2013 at 08:06 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I actually started off my warmup much faster than usual. Decided to do a little of everything but found the fly really difficult today, backstroke was strong and fast, free was average and breast well it's there.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers at moderate pace

100 Fly this was flat and hard, just couldn't get my rhythm
    200 Back awesome went 3:15
    300 Breast survived
    400 Free stead swim

200 back kick streamline w/zoomers
    200 back kick fashion model w/zoomers
    200 Fly as 50rt arm/50lt arm/50 kick/50 swim w/zoomers
    400 free w/snorkle maintain a 6 beat kick

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Thurs, Jan. 31, 2013 7:15-9:00pm

by , February 1st, 2013 at 01:02 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I had to copy this today, because it's by far my biggest GTD month to date.

My Go The Distance 2013 Progress

71.19 miles swum (=125,300 yards, =114,574 meters).

And I did this on 23 days of swimming, 21 workouts, and 2 days with swim meets (so not as much yardage those days). 8 days off from the pool, so I am semi-normal.
    That's an average of over 5400 yards per day accomplished! Not bad. I just did the math, and had I swum every day of the month at this average, I'd have cleared 95 miles...but I'm not that crazy.

------------------------------------

We had our awards ceremony (started at 6:30) from the meet last weekend, coach talked about everyone who swam and gave us our ribbons. It's nice how he does that for all the swimmers and their parents. At these awards meetings, he always talks about my work ethic and how much I push the kids in practice on a daily basis even getting into my upper 30s, and mentioned how my times are getting faster and faster all the time still.
    I'm glad he thinks highly of me, rather than just being the "old guy" in the lane.

On to the workout.

Warmup:

600 (25 Free/25 V-Sit Scull)
    6 x 300 Kick w/ fins @ 4:30
    (2400/2400)
    I trailed in the lane for the kick set, and I'm not sure what the leaders were doing, but they couldn't figure out the clock or the yardage very well. We were on the 4:00, 4:15, or 4:30 for the set. The other lanes were having problems as well, and coach John wasn't too happy about it...so gave a brief "The Talk."

Main Set: 8 times thru (150, 50, 50, 50)

John had a chart on the board that was interesting to follow, but it was one long rotating IM set, with lots of sprinting efforts. Tiring. No rest between rounds, just stay on the interval.

Round 1 & 5:

• 150 Free @ 2:30
    • 50 Fly SPRINT @ 1:30
    • 50 Back SPRINT @ 1:30
    • 50 Breast SPRINT @ 1:30

Round 2 & 6:

• 150 Fly @ 3:00 <-- this sucked with 6 in the lane!!
    • 50 Free SPRINT @ 1:30

Round 3 & 7:

• 150 Back @ 2:45

Round 4 & 8:

• 150 Breast @ 3:30

(2400/4800)

After Round 4, most of us including me were just beat up. At least those who were actually sprinting all the 50s!! I could tell who wasn't, 'cause they were all having a good time while on the wall.

400 Cooldown

--------------------------------
    5200 Yards
  15. 52 miles in January

by , January 31st, 2013 at 10:51 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    I checked my FLOG after entering the yardage from today and I'm over 52 miles for January. Think it has to do with the fact that I'm swimming almost every day. Last January I was swimming longer workouts, but fewer days and only ended up in the 40s. We'll see how long I can keep it up, what w/ the deadlines closing in and all. Having meets to prepare for, rather than just the distant future of an open water season, is helping me to stay on task. Plus, I've only been working on all four strokes for a little more than a month and I'm really liking it (the learning curve is always steepest at the beginning).

Today was supposed to be an EZ day in the pool followed by a 30-minute strength/core conditioning session. The pool work felt a lot harder than an easy day should feel though.

1000 Free warm-up (moderate pace, build)--16:30
    1:30 rest
    100 Fly on 2:30
    100 Fly/BK on 2:30
    100 Bk on 2:15
    100 BK/Br on 2:15
    100 Br on 2:15
    100 Br/Fr on 2:00
    100 Fr on 1:45
    100 Fr on 1:45
    :45 rest
    8 x 50 on 1:00 (2 x thru the 200 IM order)
    600 free in 10:00

3000 SCY/60 minutes

I actually thought I'd be able to hold a 2:00 interval on all the 100s, but I was feeling a bit tired, so I thought it would be better to swim each rep of the other strokes with some more rest and keep my technique strong. The idea of the 10 x 100 was to work each leg of the 400 IM, broken up by the 100-yard segments of the 200 IM (so the fly/back 100 of the 200 IM, for example). That 100 fly was tough after last night's workout. I counted my stroke cycles, though, and on all the 25-yard fly lengths I did today I was doing 4-6 dolphins and 8-10 complete stroke cycles... don't know if that's good or bad, but it gives me something to pay attention to and try to improve.

The 50s: original plan was to do 20 x 50 (5 x thru the 200 IM order: 50 fly, 50 bk, 50, br, 50 fr) and then do a quick cool-down. I read the calendar wrong, however, and got to the 2400 mark and was told I only had ten minutes left before the HS swim team needed the pool (I thought they didn't start till 4PM today and it was 3:20!)... so I said "perfect, 1:40/100 pace gives me exactly 600 yards in 10:00, which puts me at 3000." A longer cool-down than expected, but the stroke 50s were feeling pretty tough and I probably shouldn't have been working the IM stuff so hard after the last 3-4 days. It was at this point that I remembered I needed to put in some dry land time in the gym anyway.

I felt pretty good going through drylands today. That is definitely improving; I'm not so concerned about it improving my times--that work is going to have to come in the pool itself--but my joints feel more "solid" and my abs and obliques aren't complaining so much about the plank and stability ball work. Anything to head off the injuries before they start!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thursday 1/31/13

Thursday 1/31

AM Crossfit and PM SCY

Crossfit:

For time:
    31 overhead squats @ 45 lbs
    31 lunges
    31 air squats
    31 supermans
    31 long jumps
    31 wall balls @ 20 lbs
    31 hang cleans @ 75 lbs
    31 knees to elbows

Final time: 10:14

PM swim:

800 swim (200 FR/100 FL kick on back)

2x
    2x200 @ 2:30 pull w/ buoy only
    3x150 @ 2:10 STRK/FR/STRK by 50 (1 FL, 2 BK)
    4x75 @ 1:30 25 surf kick/25 under H2O kick/25 FAST FL

Total: 3100
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Thursday, Jan. 31

by , January 31st, 2013 at 08:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    5 x (25 front scull + 25 DPS free) w/agility paddles @ :15 RI
    50 RZ
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill w/agility paddles @ 1:10
    50 EZ
    12 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

6 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:15
    75 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP back from blocks + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    75 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast from a dive, break :10 @ 25 (:33)
    150 EZ

4 x (25 breast w/fins AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    -- noodler joined lane despite plenty of other lanes with other noodlers, so I opted for breast
    100 EZ

Total: 2900 -- I forgot something, can't remember what

Drylands:

Took Lil Fort to the gym and worked out while she was there. I skipped the weights until after the meet and did core work. Yesterday's recovery workout did not really revivify me, so maybe it was a good thing anyway.

RC/scapular ex, 20 min

2 x through:
    captains chair leg raises, 20
    long arm crunches, 50
    flutter kicks on bosu, 100
    power wheel roll outs, 15
    plate swings, 10

stretching & foam rolling, 20 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My only concession to this weekend's meet is to take it easy tomorrow. I can't remember a meet where I've had so little rest. But I'm treating it like a speed workout. I did email the meet director and ask about split requests for manual timing. He told me it was no problem and that the rule book actually requires that they have the ability to provide splits. They'll even have split requests on hand! So I will do the 100 evil in the 200 evil. This will probably be much less amusing than watching me swim a 200 evil. When I did a couple in practice yesterday, even though I was cruising, my heart rate was up from the UWs.
  18. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/01/2013

by , January 31st, 2013 at 04:57 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 300 4:30
    3 X 100 1:40
    1 X 200 kick 4:15
    1 X 200 3:00
    4 X 100 1:30
    1 X 200 kick -
    1 X 100 easy swim

1 X 100 fly 2:00
    4 X 50 back 1:00
    1 X 100 back 2:00
    4 X 50 breast 1:10
    1 X 100 breast 2:10
    4 X 50 free :50

2 X 75 kick 1:45
    8 X 50 kick 1:00
    1 X 100 swim

5 X 300 Pull 4:30
    #1: cruise
    #2-3: negative split
    #3-4: 200 strong/100 fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4950Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. 01.31.13 - Thursday workout

by , January 31st, 2013 at 03:49 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Roger, Danny and Aundrey. Backed off the yardage today with slight right shoulder pain. Might have been from pulling yesterday without warming up first. Going to take it easy until I know it is better.

SCY

600 Warm up
    200 IM, 12.5 kick/12.5 swim
    2 rounds of:
    * 4 x 25 - :40 Shooters w/ fins, IM Order (Front, back, sdk w/ br pull, flutter)
    50 Easy
    8 x 25 -:40, IM order; Odds build, evens fast
    50 Easy

4 x 25 drag race shooters - 1:00
    50 easy
    4 x 50 - 1:30(?) :10 fast kick at wall + flip turn + build to mid-pool + fast flip turn mid-pool + 25 fast + 12.5 cruise to wall
    100 easy
    4 x 25 w/ankle straps - 1:00 dive + strong SDK to 12.5-15m + cruise
    50 easy
    4 x 25 - 1:00 dive + AFAP SDK to 12.5-15 m + cruise
    50 easy
    4 x 50 - 1:30 :15 egg beater at wall + 25 br + 25 easy
    50 easy
    4 x 50 - 1:30 :15 fast VK w arms over head + :5 rest + 25 burst + 25 easy
    100 easy
    8 x (25 AFAP + 75 easy stroke) - 2:00 (did fly, br, br, free)

200 Cool down

(3550 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday, January 31, 2013

by , January 31st, 2013 at 03:34 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    SCY@Fort Myers Aquatic Center
    Air temp of 73, pool at 79, 100% water clarity.
    Dark gray rainy skies with humidity at 85%

Warm up
    200 FR DPS ABPT

*Set 1*
    300 D Kick as 100/bd, 100/bk, 100/snorkle
    300 Fly as 4(50DR-kick w/scull,25 Swim) w/snorkel
    4x150 FLY on :30 rest as 2(25RA/25LA/25 Swim) 1,3 w/agility paddles - 2,4 without
    4x50 Fly on :30 rest, strong ABPT, 1&3/Agility, 2&4/no Agility

*Set 2*
    5x200 BK :10 rest, as 50K, 50DA, 100 Swim w/8-10 SDK, 1-3-5 no Agility, 2-4/Agility
    4x50 BK on :30 rest, strong ABPT, 1&3/Agility, 2&4/no Agility

*Set 3*
    300 BR Kick as 100/bd, 100/bk, 100/snorkel
    2x100 BR on :15 rest as 2(25 Kick/25 Swim) w/snorkel
    2x100 BR on :15 rest as 2(25 K-bk/25 Swim)
    4x50 BR on :30 rest, strong ABPT, 1&3/Agility, 2&4/no Agility

*Set 4*
    1200 FR as 3(100 Scull, 300 Swim) w/snorkel-agility paddles-bouy-tube
    steady state swimming ABPT

EZ 100 Fly as (1 RA/1 LA,Swim 3 strokes)

*Set 5*
    2(8x25 on :20 rest, 2 each stroke IMO)
    do as 12.5 burst,12.5 EZ, ie... 2(12.5 Fly burst/12.5 Bk EZ) IMO etc.

Warm down
    400 BK DPS ABPT

Comments:
    Recovery, HR 100-140, no intervals, moderate feel good swimming.

Updated January 31st, 2013 at 04:29 PM by fdtotten

Categories
    Swim Workouts