View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday, January 2, 2012 5:00am

by , January 2nd, 2012 at 12:17 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This morning was a tough one, especially after being out of the water for the Fri-Sun weekend. Friday was my own fault, I didn't get up with my alarm , Saturday I spent time at the hospital with my son (missed the 100x100s w/ the h.s. boys). Oh well, family first! My son is fine by the way. Sunday, there is nowhere to swim in this area ever on a Sunday.

I ended up going for as many 100s as I could put together this morning. My normal practice output is 1 hour/3000-3500 yards, so I was above and beyond that today and felt it when I got past my normal distances.

Solo:
    10 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:15s)
    10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:30 (1:12-1:14s)

1:00 rest

10 x 100 Free @ 1:25 (1:12-1:13s)
    10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:25 (1:10-1:12s)

10 x 100 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 2:00 (1:45-1:53s) did NOT cramp which is nice!!

10 x 100 IM @ 1:40 (1:20ish)
    The first length of fly was like OWWWW after sitting idle on the kickboard in the last series.

--------------------

After this I sat for a little bit, feeling pretty much exhausted. I could've kept going, but new that I really shouldn't, and it wouldn't have benefited me any more.
    I noticed that the masters workout group was doing a 5 lane circuit workout where they were rotating lanes every 8 minutes. The fastest group was just rotating into a lane that was doing a set of: (I joined them for this one)

3 x 100 @ 2:00
    • 1st easy
    • 2nd 10 sec. faster than 1st one
    • 3rd 10 sec. faster than 2nd one
    I went out conservative, probably a little too conservative, going 1:22, then 1:13, and finished with a whoppin' :57 on the final one. I knew I was blazing in the pool, but I didn't expect to see that fast either! The coach was quite surprised I did that after all the 100s as well.

This was the final rotation of the circuit set, so then we did 4 x Dive 25s w/ easy 25 back after each one.
    1st one Fly (swam somewhat easy - didn't know we were getting timed till I hit - 12.5) probably could've been 11mid
    2nd one Back - did this just for the start and SDKs
    3rd one Breast - 14.7
    4th one Free - 10.5

I'm not sure how accurate the coaches trigger finger is on the stopwatch. I don't think I was really 10.5 material at the end.

------------------------
    6500 Yards

In one workout, I made my FLOG happy! Yesterday it was cussing at me!!

Congratulations! You are on pace for achieving your goal this year:
    My goal pace: 2.74 miles required as of today to reach my goal by the end of the event
    My actual current pace: 3.69 miles as of today
  2. 01.02.12 - Monday workout Challenge day

by , January 2nd, 2012 at 10:29 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave and Dave. Pool temp 82. Dropped backstroke today until after the Auburn meet. I'll substitute breaststroke in its place unless I'm doing a 200 IM (I'm swimming the 200 IM at Auburn and don't want to get used to doing the wrong order). Good start to the new year. Made 6 x 100 on 1:10. Wore a racing jammer to make it. Put on a drag suit when I was done.

SCY

450 Warm up

Challenge Set
    6 x 50 - :45
    6 x 100 - 1:10 (1:06, 1:08, 1:09, 1:11, 1:09, 1:08)
    50 Easy
    Would not have made this without Roger swimming next to me. I knew he was going to lock into 1:10s and all I had to do was stay even with him. After #4, it was looking hopeless since we kept bleeding time. After #5, we were somehow back on it and I decided I wasn't going to lose it with 100 to go. Roger took off and I chased as hard as I could but couldn't keep up. Thought I had missed it but it turns out he was just burning off whatever he had left and made 1:05. I was a couple seconds back at 1:08. Great start to the new year!

3 Times through:
    * 2 x 50 Pull - :50 (Held :33)
    * 2 x 50 Kick - 1:10
    5 x 50 Breast - 1:00 Descend (:38 on last one)
    50 Easy

10 x 100 Up/down kick - 1:40 (:10)
    5 x 50 Back - 1:00 Descend (I did Breast again :40 on last one)
    3 Times through:
    * 2 x 50 Pull - :40 (Held :35)
    * 2 x 50 Kick - 1:10
    5 x 50 Free - 1:00 Descend (:28 on last one)
    50 Easy

6 x 100 Up/down kick - 1:40 (:05)
    5 x 50 Fly - 1:00 Descend (:38 on last one)

200 Cool down

(5500 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Catchup drill, catching up on 3 workouts

by , January 2nd, 2012 at 10:21 AM (Random Nonsense)
    I had an enjoyable busy weekend. I hope everyone had a happy New Year, even Geek.

Saturday - LT day
    Lifetime SCM
    Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick w/board
    - 200 back
    Sprints
    - 6x25 12.5 AFAP/12.5 ez on 60
    LT Set
    - 6x50 on 4:00 (30,30,30,29,29,29)
    Cool down
    - 300 ez

Sunday - Technique Day
    Lifetime SCM
    Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick w/board
    - 200 back
    Drill/Technique
    - 10x25 on 30 w/fins
    - 10x25 on 30
    -- focus on keeping the hand high during the glide, just under the surface; EVF
    - probably more random swimming

Monday - Hard Aerobic
    Team Practice SCY (No one on my intervals)
    Warm up
    - 300 swim
    - 200 kick w/fins
    - 300 pull
    Transition
    - 6x50 drill/swim
    Main Set
    - 200 kick w/fins
    - 6x150 on 2:30 (40,40,38,38,38,37)
    - 6x50 w/fins alternate back/dolphin on back
    - 8x50 pull descend 1-4
    Cool Down

I really am enjoying LT day. It is so little yardage but leaves me completely destroyed. Getting down to 29s from a push was good for me.

Sunday I wasn't expecting to swim because I thought the pool would be closed in the morning but Lifetime didn't close for the New Year, so we got in a quick morning yoga swim in.

Today's 150s were the only really difficult set and it feels like I should be going faster on them given the rest. My goal was to swim under 1:40 and was probably a little too conservative early in the set.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. LT Sets

by , January 1st, 2012 at 11:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I don't take credit for these, but you should be able to find out who should get it ... Most of it is from following qbrain and Fortress discussing ideas ...

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=17617"]Breakouts[/ame]

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=12744"]Speed Zone workouts[/ame]

The Fortress posted this somewhere and I copied the text - not sure where to find it now:
    "On any real sprint set, you should do a slow recovery swim before the next AFAP effort. You definietly don't want to be just hangin on the wall. I generally do at least double the fast distance. You want the intervals to be generous so that it is a true all out effort."
    - 8-10 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ @ 3-4:00
    - 6 x 50 @ 4-6:00
    - Broken 100's at 6-8:00 - break 15 at 50 and 15 at 75. (You can opt to just kick the last 25 if your legs tend to die in a race)
    - 3 x (5 x 50 w/ fins) @ 1:30 -- 6/7/8/9/10 fast strokes (a Rich Abrahams set I did yesterday)
    - 5 x 100 @15:00 all out

Jeff Commings - must be a fan of REM

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 11:11 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    LT sets
  5. Sun Jan 1st, 2012 SCY went 9,400

by , January 1st, 2012 at 09:09 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sun Jan 1st, 2012 SCY went 9,400

Recently renewed my USMS membership for 2012 with TXLA / Longhorn Masters
    Don't have a team? Consider registering with us.

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    Scy UT Swim Center: main pool
    Noon - 2:00
    wore Speedo FS pro jammer
    trained with jim & korey
    beside Nate Larry Tyler & James

Warm Up

20 x 100 Fr on 1:20 (2000)
    Made em

Rest 1:00

Main Set:

20 x 50 Fr on 0:40 (1000 / 3000)
    Made Em

20 x 100 Fr on 1:15 (2000 / 5000)
    made em

20 x 50 Fr on 0:35 (1000 / 6000)
    Made em

Rest 2:00

20 x 100 Fr on 1:10 (2000 / 8000)
    Made em

Rest 2:00

10 x 100 Fr on 1:10 (1000 / 9000)
    Made em

rest 1:00

400 swim down (400 / 9400)

2012 Meets (I'm considering)

March 30, 2012
    South Central Zones, SCY
    South Lake, TX

April 25 - 30
    USMS SCY Nationals
    Greensboro, NC
    Order of Events

July 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE
    Order of Events

Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX

2012 Training Phases

Jan - Mid March
    do longhorn workouts as written

Mid March - end of April
    SPEED, STRENGTH, & Meet Prep

May
    as written

Jun to Early Aug

Aug (after zones) - Mid Oct
    as written

Mid Oct - Dec
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. No pool available soooo.... Walk/run

by , January 1st, 2012 at 08:52 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    No choice today. I had to do something today so I did my old Body for Life cardio program. Most of it was walking at a decent pace and only ran for 4 minutes out of the 20 minutes I worked out for.

Tomorrow I get back in the water. I am going to do one of Fort's recent workouts since I am anxiously awaiting her workout posts for this year.

As I am thinking about what to swim at Nationals this year I am not sure what to pick. 3 events are set in stone, the 50 Fly, 50 & 100 Free. 200 Fly and 200 Back are two of my usual staples as is the 1650 Free but I am debating about doing the 1650 Free since I always get hit by allergies in the Spring and that makes for a miserable 1650.

Perhaps I should do the 100 Fly. I am open to sugestions and ideas of what I should swim. I will also see how I do in the next kids meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 2012 - Day 1

Nothing like starting the year off with a bang.... and a PR!

I would have been content with a nice long 10,000 yard pool set... a standard 100x100... or maybe something a little more creative, but since no pool within 50 miles was open today, I decided to join CIBBOWS for a New Year celebratory ocean swim. An unseasonably warm winter so far has brought the ocean temperature slowly down to 45 degrees... only 5 degrees colder than my last Brighton Beach swim the weekend before Thanksgiving, so I was feeling rather positive that I could swim for at least a mile... maybe more.

I got in the car at 8:00 AM. Outside temperature 31 degrees... a little frost on the windshield. Ten minutes drive I was in New Paltz... grabbed a cup of coffee and headed for the NYS Thruway... outside temp: 36 degrees. This is looking good.
    XM radio deep tracks and coffee house kept me company until I was within range of WNYC (one of new york's public radio station)... classical music... not in the mood... switch to some Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds cd's... that'll put things into perspective. Over the George Washington Bridge, the Hudson looks flat. The sun is shining... outside temp: 42 degrees... open moonroof. 30 minutes later I'm at Brighton Beach. The streets are empty but there is a lot of activity on the boardwalk. I'm the first swimmer to arrive... outside temp: 46 degrees.

I pace around a bit wondering if anyone is going to show up here, or head down to Stillwell Ave to marvel at the invading swarm of humanity gathering for the annual Polar Bear dip. The water near the Coney Island Pier is busy with Police and Fire boats, even though the Bears aren't scheduled to plunge for a few hours. Hsi-Ling and John H are the first to show up, and soon 20 others spread their gear out at the usual spot. There is no hurry to suit up and get in, but there is a lot of discussion about it! Brad and I formulate a plan to swim to the white building (at the east end of BB) and back... a distance of one mile. He warns me to give him a head start as he is slow getting in... knees then hips then shoulders then a little heads up breaststroke... I don't know how people do it like that. I'm a kamikaze.

Brad starts his entry routine, I already have my earplugs in and a silicone cap on... check to make sure my goggles are seated well... parka off and to the water. Brad is up to his waist. I start to wonder if this is a good idea. Its three degrees colder than I have ever swum in before... a measurable difference for sure, but I'm a little older (yes) and wiser (debatable) now...

I turn my back to the water, and facing the boardwalk, close my (goggled) eyes... taking deep breaths, I talk myself through the doubt. "Its a perfect sunny day"... "Its only a mile"... "Its only 3 degrees colder"... "Etc".
    Eyes open, turn around. Brad is breaststroking; the final stage of his entry ritual. Its go-time.

I run in up to my waist and dive in. It hurts. Its cold. It feels like someone slapped my neck, both sides simultaneously just below my jaw line, I gasp for air, and again until it becomes a steady rhythm. Breathing left (beach side) I soon pass Brad who is still doing breaststroke... sorry, can't stop now, I'll have to double back when things even out a bit more. After a few minutes I am able to settle into a comfortable pace. My hands and feet are getting cold, ironically, I look forward to this sensation as a sense of inner warmth always follows. Some say a loss of dexterity is a sign of hypothermia, but I've found that this happens so early into a cold swim for me that it is more of a sign that my blood is staying in my core... where I prefer it to be. I turn back often to see where Brad is at... always about 25 yards back and swimming steadily. I get to the white building, swim back to Brad, and we continue to the white building again together. I feel good now, but its no time to chat so we start right back west.

With Brad on my left (ocean side) I alternate breathe all the way back. When we are a few yards from our starting point, we are greeted by another swimmer heading east. It takes me a moment to realize that its Rachel. A hug and a frozen faced, bells palsy-like mumble of apy ooo ere, and I decide to join her for a round trip to the large rocks east of Grimaldo's chair... probably 800 yards. We pass the jetty and head back. With a little more than 150 yards to go, a dreamy feeling paid me a visit, so I headed for the shallows. My face was pretty frozen, and I wasn't closing my mouth after each breath... taking in a bit of water each cycle. I found it cool and refreshing. This I took as a sign to get out. I exited the water and ran on the beach for a few minutes before joining the rest of the gang.

A little over 40 minutes @45 degrees! (a new low!)

The after drop hit me and so the shivers began. Lots of hot tea made its way around, and the sun was still shining, so the warming process was uneventful. Everyone started making their way west to Stillwell to join the Polar Bear festivities.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sat Dec 31, 2011 scy

by , January 1st, 2012 at 08:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Dec 31, 2011 scy

Today I renewed my USMS membership for 2012 with TXLA / Longhorn Masters
    Don't have a team? Consider registering with us.

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Today was Fast Friday, Marcin from Rocket Science showed up around 6:45 to let folks try out their new suits

Whitney Coached
    LCM UT Swim Center: main pool
    7:30 - 9:00
    wore Speedo endurance jammer
    trained with max beside jim & James

Warm Up
    ?

Main Set:

[B]4 rounds of

500 fr desc by rounds
    400 fr mod

Went
    R1 5:50
    R2 5:35
    R3 5:24
    R4 5:21

2012 Meets (I'm considering)

March 30, 2012
    South Central Zones, SCY
    South Lake, TX

April 25 - 30
    USMS SCY Nationals
    Greensboro, NC
    Order of Events

July 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE
    Order of Events

Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX

2012 Training Phases

Jan - Mid March
    do longhorn workouts as written

Mid March - end of April

May
    as written

Jun to Early Aug

Aug (after zones) - Mid Oct
    as written

Mid Oct - Dec
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. TT Blogs 2011

by , January 1st, 2012 at 06:15 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    The competition was, as always, extremely tough this year in USMS blogging. There were a number of familiar names in the Top Ten this year, and a few surprises, too.

Congratulations to all those who made Top 10 based on the three statistical categories from which the record books are written:

1. Total number of entries (the Clydesdale Cup, named after the sweaty little workhorse that pulls its weight steadily, ploddingly, and largely without whinnying lament)
    2. Total number of comments (the Pretty Pony Puff Princess Award because this is, let's face it, a popularity contest/gauge of the blogger's appeals to swimming cliques)
    3. And finally, Comments to Entries Ratio (the Thoroughbred Championship Prize, i.e., the only one of these Top Ten blogging categories that really means anything--an excellent proxy for literary excellence combined with swimming magnificence and genuinely deserved adulation. Interestingly, this is also the only category that the USMS leadership is seriously considering awarding the winner with All American Prime status, the "Prime" meaning that it is just a notch above ordinary All American status.

I am sure everyone is very nervous, so I won't drag things out any longer. Let me now open the envelopes in sequence.

Total number of entries

Congratulations to our perennial Clydesdale Cup winner, Leslie "the Fortress" Livingston! You go, girl! Did anyone else think they had a chance? Neighhhh!

Total number of comments

Oh. My. God. ! The Fortress does it again, easily capturing the Pretty Pony Puff Princess Award with nearly 13,000 comments! If you could bottle this kind of well-deserved popularity, you couldn't keep it on the store shelves!

Comments to Entries Ratio

I can't believe it! Honestly, this is embarrassing! Had I any idea that I was even in contention for the top award in swim vlogging in any medium across the world and in any language, I would never have covered these blogging awards in my, well, er, I guess I have no choice but to call it what it is, my top-Thoroughbred-Championship-Prize-winning-All-American-Prime-Potentially-Earning blog! Thank you all SO MUCH for this!

It's going to take some getting used to this idea that I am a National Treasure. Please, give me a little time.
    The cat of deserved fame may have my tongue for a little while!

Meanwhile, feel free to discuss amongst yourselves this incredibly good news about me--a brilliant end to 2011, and even more brilliant start to 2012--in the infinite commentary space below.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. New Year's Dip

I had a beautiful swim in the gulf today. The water was a gorgeous turquoise green, and very sparkly in the bright sunlight. A northwest wind had tamped the waves down a bit from yesterday’s boisterousness, and with less wave action the sand that had made the water cloudy settled out, making for great visibility. I could see the bottom everywhere I swam, and when I looked out underwater into the distance the delicious greenness just seemed to go on forever.

I swam easy about 500 meters down the beach and back, then floated and played for quite awhile. I was wearing a red swimsuit, and when I submerged and looked up at the waters’ surface I could see its reflection surrounded by the turquoise water. The floor of the gulf was pockmarked by ghost shrimp tunnel entrances—they look like small anthills, and feel a little crunchy when you step on them. I felt them yesterday when I was in, and could see them today. I tried not to put my feet down too much, because I didn’t like the idea of wrecking the little shrimpie’s homes. I did dive down to get a closer look at them. Sometimes small gobi fish hide out in these tunnels but I didn’t see any today.

The population of ghost shrimp tends to fluctuate quite a bit down here—when it is high, they produce lots of castings, which float up on shore and mark the outline of the waves:

I just started seeing these lines the last couple of days—they weren’t here when I first arrived. I’m guessing the recent warm weather may have something to do with the ghost shrimp boom.

There are also spots in the gulf where there are lots of castings in the ridges on the bottom—I mostly try to avoid these, but when I do swim over them they are quite a bit warmer than the surrounding water. Maybe the dark castings absorb more heat than the white sand—the same thing happens when I swim over the occasional dark rock formation.

I also saw a few clear jellies on the beach this morning—luckily I didn’t run into any when I was swimming. There have been purple flags up for the last few days, but I have seen only a few jellies in the water or on the beach. Here’s a nice fresh one that rolled in just as I was walking past this morning:

I have been enjoying the days in the 70s, but the weather is supposed to return to more seasonal temps tomorrow. This year 4 out-of-town teams are doing training trips at the pool. I might go in tomorrow for an early-morning lc swim.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. One for the road!

by , January 1st, 2012 at 05:25 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    "You road I enter upon and look around, I believe you are not all that is here,
    I believe that much unseen is also here"
    --Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road."

The New Year opens up before us.

The FLOG that took a year to fill up with yards and miles is now empty again... A new journey begins:
    ---
    My Go The Distance 2012 Progress
    0.00 miles swum (=0 yards, =0 meters).
    50.00 miles (= 88,000 yards, = 80,467 meters) to next milestone (50 miles milestone).

My Go The Distance 2012 goal: 417.00 mi. Progress towards goal:
    0%
    You'll need to pick up the pace to achieve your goal this year:
    My goal pace: 1.14 miles required as of today to reach my goal by the end of the event
    My actual current pace: 0.00 miles as of today
    ---

I'll need to pick up the pace! Haven't seen that in a while. The journey will start again tomorrow--Y is closed today and I'm fighting off a nasty cold anyway.

The road is there, filled by our journeyings. Walt Whitman--what a way to start 2012, by the way!--says of the road later in the same poem:

"Here is realization,
    Here is a man tallied--he realizes here what he has in him,
    The past, the future, majesty, love--if they are vacant of you, you are vacant of them"

So, I look forward to continuing down that road and finding the things that can't be seen, Whitman's "much unseen," but the things that are most important.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. New Years Day 50 LCM Free!!!

by , January 1st, 2012 at 05:11 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Begin week #5 of 6

In true chowmi fashion, the longest blog post will be over one measly 50 free!

After Polar Bear Swim, 12 noon
    SMU LCM pool
    From the blocks; swam by myself

Wore ripped Speedo LZR Racer Kneeskin
    Double cap with "wrinkle free" TYR cap
    No goggles
    2 breathes (my usual pattern)

Bobby: 28.3
    Jim 28.1

+++++++++++++++++++++
    Commentary I:

Very solid. Not exceptional, and I really thought I could go under 28.0. But, considering I went 28.2 to 28.7 last summer in meets, that is very good. Also, sectional cuts are 28.49, so bragging rights I can do it in workout.

I suspect all else being equal, I am good for an immediate .50 improvement in a real race. That woud put me at 27.6 to 27.8.

Using today as the bar:

My goal time:

28.00+ - not good - I could just gut my way there;
    27.99 - acceptable
    27.73 - best recent time
    27.59 - GOAL TIME++++++++++++++++
    27.29 - next step to 26
    26.99 - the next stairstep

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Commentary II:

Things I need to improve:

1. First stroke off the dive was "short". I need to work into in, not rip too fast and lose momentum;

2. Breathing pattern and timing was fine. But the breath itself was really, really off. Bobby said the 2nd one I nearly stopped and lost time, plus my body position changed.

3. Could charge the wall more with extra gut effort at the end.

Even with that, the overall time indicates I am doing enough "right", but we are talking .3 for the breath, .1 for the breakout, and probably .2 to .3 for overall speed and finish. That's up to .7!!!

What to focus on for the last 2 weeks:

Week 5:
    Main set #1: 25's with dive breakouts and variable/build speed - emphasis on breathing and keeping up speed/body position. Probably no more than 16 x 25's total. Bobby suggested I take the 2nd breath TO THE OTHER SIDE due to whatever weirdness I am doing on my regular side. I think I will do 25's with 2 breaths, trying this out (left then right). I probably will NOT do this unless it really feels better or noticable affects overall speed. But something to consider for practice and implementation next summer or in SCY. (ETA: Tuesday)

Main set #2: 50's broken with emphasis on back half speed (25 on :20, blast back) and also attention to the breath. Probably no more than 8 x 50's total. (ETA: Thurs or Fri)

Moderate vasa and dryland this week #5 of 6.

Week #6:
    Sun LCM - refrain from full 50 sprints; probably a few rotating 12.5 of the 50 sprints
    Wed - 25's and dives
    Sat - AGP 50 free

One light vasa/dryland day before Tues.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Commentary III:

I hear the meet filled up. Quickly. I assume i'll be in the B flight heats, which will work better for me. I have a full docket day and will not leave DFW until 6pm, so I will get in very late and need more recovery time Saturday AM. But if they don't split the prelim heats, that is still ok since the 50 free is the last event.

Today's dry run was a good time to practice warming up around a bunch of faster people and the mosh pit of people doing different stuff. It reaffirms my decision to stay out of the LCM pool except to familarize myself with the blocks and any clearly identifable markers, which I don't really need, but it's nice to know. I won't race with goggles.

The meet will be a zoo. It will be the assembly line get up and go when it's time for my heat. No fanfare, just the starter trying to get through upteen heats of prelims. Today was a good practice run for all the team stuff going on, group pictures, and when Bobby and Jim weren't attending to 100's of other swimmers, it was "ok, let's go" and on the blocks and off I went.

++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin Grand Prix
    Info & Pysche Sheet

http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDe...ainbow&Lang=en

Updated January 1st, 2012 at 05:27 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Splitting posts

by , January 1st, 2012 at 01:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Race stuff:
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=36269&postcount=16"]200 im[/ame]

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=256498&postcount=1733"]400 im[/ame]

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=34463&postcount=82"]lots of splitting info[/ame]

A big shout-out to Ande for sharing these

500 free thoughts

One strategy pwb likes:
    Cruise your 1st 100 and count your strokes on the 4th lap Hold that stroke count (think of nothing else) for the next 250 BAM! You're already at the 350 mark - 70% of the race done
    Gently build the next 100 Aggressively build the last 50 into a sprint-like furry of 12-beat kicking and no breathing from the flags to the finish Pump your first like Phelps and maybe sit on the lane line if you're feeling really cocky and chuffed with your time
    Pwb on warming up for the 500:
    Of course, it all depends upon what the warmup scene is like. If it's a taper meet for me and the 500, I'll typically do something like: 400 IM - easy kick-drill by 25s (too me, this is the best way to just ease into the pool, get the full range of motion for legs, arms, core) Then I might do something like 12 x 50 where I go 4 descend freestyle on an interval that would give me about 15 seconds rest above my target race pace (e.g., 45 seconds), trying to hit the last one at target race pace 4 on 1:00, going IM order, build swim 25, then build kick 25 4 free on that same interval, holding target race pace

At this point, if the race pace is easy and I feel warmed up, I'll do a 50 to 100 cool-down If I feel like I still need some more revving up, I'd do something like 1 x 50: easy - just to relax from the previous set of harder 50s 4 x 25: either doing cycle 4 - build-up, build-down (e.g., start fast and get easy), all easy, all fast

1 x 50: easy 2 x 50: trying to hit the race pace again 1 x 50: easy

In general, for a taper meet, I'm going 1,000 to 1,250 warmup. If it is a mid-season meet, it takes me a lot longer to warm up, so I'd go 1,500 to 2,000.

The other thing I like to do, especially for my 400 IM and 500 or longer, is to time my warmup so that I finish 20 minutes ahead of the race. That allows me enough time to dry off, put on a fast suit and get behind the blocks, feeling rested, but still warm.
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=255214&postcount=342"]200 fly[/ame]

more 2fly, with training
    Originally Postedby jaadams1:
    Yesterday one of the guys asked me for some last minute fly advice before his first ever 200 Fly, and I told me to "pick a breathing pattern, and stick to it." If you're constantlythinking about 2 up, 1 down during the swim, then 1) it won't hurt as bad, and 2) it will naturally keep your hips up rather than slowly sinking by breathing every stroke.
    Stroke helps:
    Backstroke
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=254199&postcount=226"]quicksilver's back tips[/ame]

Redbird's backstroke rotation article link

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHNRVvQxzPI"]Coach Marsh - How much elbow bend in Backstroke? - YouTube[/nomedia]

Oct Streamlines Rotation Drill

OW helps:
    SA's Ederle report with nutrition info

Updated April 1st, 2014 at 12:37 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Reference: strategy
  14. Workout ideas

by , January 1st, 2012 at 01:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=19420

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=12744"]Speed Zone - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?b=19404#comments

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=258708&postcount=6"]I need to get fins[/ame]

D-pacing:
    For 200 training:
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/462281440521890?view=permalink&id=734327879983910& fs=2

Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    03/06/12: My advice for the distance events is set a goal and then train at that goal pace. So say you want to go 5:45 in a 500. Do lots of 100s where you are maintaining a 1:09 pace. You should be able to maintain that pace with a 2:1 swim to rest ratio. Your aerobic pace that you can maintain for a long time without much or any rest will probably be considerably slower (maybe ten seconds per 100), but you'll want to do a lot of swimming at that pace, too.

I'll tell you what I did a few years ago that I think worked really well. I did one set per week that was either 50s at 500 pace on :45 or 100s at 1650 pace on 1:30 (I was trying to hold :29 on the 50s and 1:02 or 1:03 on the 100s). The first week I did both sets, but I think it was only something like 4x50 and 4x100. After that I would add two reps to each, but only do one each week. So the second week I probably did 6x50, then the third week 6x100, etc. I built up to doing 20 of each. Then the final week I did both sets again but only 10x50 and 10x100. I think that was at least two weeks before my taper meet.

At first it was difficult even to make four of each, but week after week you gain confidence. One other thing is I never did more than ten in a row without an easy one thrown in. So the week I did 20x100 I did something like 10x100 on 1:30, then an easy one on 2:00, then ten more on 1:30.
    [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21510"]1500/1650 Training Thread[/ame]

Dry Lands:
    Jazzy's advice

Updated November 14th, 2014 at 12:13 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Reference: workouts
  15. Dec. 31

by , January 1st, 2012 at 11:53 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC and ankle exercises
    leb abductor, 130 x 3 x 8
    wide grip lat pull down, 100 x 3 x 8
    overhead squats, 45 x 3 x 15
    skull crushers, 50 x 3 x 12
    single arm overhead DB shoulder press, 25 x 2 x 8 each arm (this seemed to bother my right elbow, maybe I can't do any pressing yet)
    explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 10
    fast reverse scoop w/35 lb kettleball, 35 x 3 x 15
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 20

Bike, 45 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still keeping weights pretty light as I missed another week of drylands. My elbows actually felt better after drylands than before. The only problem was that I turned my ankle walking out the door. What a klutz! This may set me back another couple weeks.

Had a lovely New Years Eve. Just went to a movie with Lil Fort and had some champagne with Mr. Fort. But New Years Day has been bloody grim so far. We were supposed to go to a 5K race and brunch with friends. Instead, our kitty went missing. At first we thought she was on the roof, but now we've heard her behind some drywall in the third floor ceiling. A friend is coming over with his dryland saw. We're hoping we can find her and coax her out ...

Updated January 1st, 2012 at 01:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  16. Change (January-February 2012)

by , January 1st, 2012 at 01:00 AM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    We have some exciting changes planned for SWIMMER this year, not the least of which is the newly redesigned magazine you are holding. Annie Sidesinger and the design team at Anthem Communications have done a fantastic job updating the look and feel of the publication. They’ll also be working with us to create a digital edition of SWIMMER in the near future.

But changing only the look would be like working on your high-elbow recovery without paying attention to your catch. So look for changes in Training and Technique and Swim Bag. Additionally, we’ll be introducing a nutrition column in The Healthy Swimmer starting in the March–April issue.

How do changes make it to the pages of SWIMMER? Well, I’d like to say it is all part of a precise, brilliant master plan, perfectly researched and executed, but that wouldn’t be accurate. Many changes are inspired by reader feedback. Sometimes we use the spaghetti method and whatever sticks, stays.

Sometimes the little suckers sneak into the pages and before you know it, they’ve multiplied. Two years ago New England Masters swimmer Ed Colley, whom I had never met, sent me a caricature of … me. He started rendering the USMS volunteers we profile in Inside USMS. This led to illustrations for feature articles (“Early Masters Swimmers,” March-April 2011, among others) and for The Healthy Swimmer. Colley (in a self-caricature below) started swimming Masters at the age of 73.

Inspiration for change comes from you. In the November-December issue, we published a word cloud based on your feelings about swimming. We received so many letters asking for reprints, we decided to use it for our annual poster and it is included in this issue.

I’m grateful for the gift of all the people who have inspired change in SWIMMER and look forward to another year of striving to be your favorite swimming publication on the planet.

Updated July 1st, 2014 at 11:50 AM by Editor

Categories
    Staff Blogs
  17. OMG - led the lane for the whole thing!! 12/31/11

by , December 31st, 2011 at 11:29 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Today was the annual 50 x 100's - it was rather surprising how few people showed up. We only took up 3 lanes! Russ insisted that he was recovering from vacation & had me lead the entire set - I wasn't sure I could do it, but I did & I did well! I tried to keep my pace around a 1:13-14 - started out going 1:10's for the first few & had to scale it back to make sure I could do the whole thing. 1:20's are usually really hard for me!
    55 x 100
    2 @ 1:30, 1 @ 1:40 for first 12 (I was late & got there at #5)
    2 @ 1:20
    1 @ 1:30
    4 @ 1:20
    6 @ 1:20
    4 @ 1:20
    2 @ 1:20
    10 x 100 50 kick/50 swim alt w/100 IM on 1:50
    5 x 100 @ 1:30
    (I did the 5 x 100's I missed here - all on 1:30)
    5 x 100 breast/free alt w/100 breast
    Total: 5500SCY

All in all, it has been a rather good year, swimming wise. I made my GTD goal & actually returned to the competition venue.
    2012 I hope to:
    continue training with ATAC
    put my GTD at 1,000,000 yards - which may change to meters, depending on how I'm doing in August.
    Make 10 x 100 @ 1:20 holding 1:10's or better by April
    Meets I'm planning on:
    Auburn Feb 11 & 12
    St. Pat's in Clearwater or Atlanta
    USMS SC Nat's in Greensboro
    And probably in October, going to St.Croix to do the 5K
    I'll add more meets as they become available. I'm planning on taking a second job working part-time in the jail (in addition to MinuteClinic) for fun & going to a couple of real live conferences that will double as mini-vacations as well.
    Plans plans plans!!
    Also I plan to lose enough weight so that I can actually fit into my new Finis Fast Suit!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. A new year and a new focus

by , December 31st, 2011 at 10:59 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I just finished this year with a weight lifting workout. Tonight was an upper body circut on my Bowflex. This took roughly fourty minutes.

Used the long bar for these:
    Lat pulldown pull behind back
    12@100, 10@110, 8@120, 6@130, 12@120
    Lat pulldown pull in front
    12@120
    Mimic the catch
    12@60, 10@70, 8@80, 6@90, 12@80
    Mimic the finish (tricept push downs)
    12@60, 10@60, 8@70, 6@80, 12@70
    Curls
    12@60, 10@60, 8@60, 6@70, 12@60
    Rows
    12@60, 12@60, 12@60
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. In the gulf

After a bit of a setback right before Christmas I am back in the water . . . a little. Yesterday I ventured into the gulf just to test how a brief swim felt. The water was 61, the air temp in the high 60s, and there were breaking waves at the shore and again out at the first sandbar, about 30m out. I navigated past the waves and swam a little bit back and forth along the shoreline. After a week of being out of the water, it felt like being home again. I swam for about 10-15 minutes, then stayed in for a bit and floated and looked up at the sky while the waves bobbed me up and down. It was very peaceful, and I felt very grateful to be surrounded by water in such a beautiful place.

Today the conditions were pretty much the same, only with a few more waves. I went in at high tide, so the water was deep enough to the shore side of the sandbar to do some real swimming (but never so deep that it was above my head). Here’s what it looked like from the 4th floor balcony—the waves never look as big from up there as they do once you’re down on the beach:

I swam back and forth a quarter-mile stretch for about 30 minutes today, and it felt good. The water was intensely green. Visibility wasn’t great—I could see where the bottom was, but it looked pretty cloudy. I didn’t see any sea creatures directly, but I did see the sand suddenly shift around a couple of times as I was swimming over it, so there might well have been rays underneath me (the ones that live close to shore here are very light--the same color as the sand—and can be difficult to see unless the water is really clear). There was a pretty strong current going eastwards, so twice I swam that way until the end of my course, then let the current bring me back to my starting point while I floated on my back. Glad to be back in the water, and happy to close out 2011 with a final swim in the sea!

I am trying to be patient and take things very slowly this time around as my rib heals up. It’s been a little frustrating because the weather and water here have been close to perfect for swimming in the gulf all this past week—I just want to hop in and go! As long as the weather stays this pretty, and the gulf this swimmable, I’ll probably devote the limited amount of swimming I’m doing to the open-water. Hoping to get in a nice New Years Swim tomorrow! (There is a “polar bear plunge” scheduled at the Watercolor Resort, just down the road from here—but it’s hard to take that name seriously when water temps are in the 60s!)

Happy New Years everyone!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Saturday, 12/31/11

by , December 31st, 2011 at 05:12 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    New Years Eve swim with Sawtooth Masters

SCY

400 swim
    20 x 12.5 @ :20 odds fast break out, evens fast finish

Main (approx :30 rest -- leave on nearest :30):
    500 build
    475 smooth
    450 every 4th 25 fast
    425 smooth
    300 neg split
    275 smooth
    250 build
    225 smooth
    200 strong
    175 smooth
    150 4th 25 AFAP
    125 smooth
    100 Fast
    75 smooth
    50 fast
    25 fastest
    (mixed these up with back and free, final 25 was fly)
    100 cool down

Total: 4550 yards

My Go The Distance total for 2011 was 473.69 miles swum (=833,694 yards). That's the most I've done in a year yet. (If my local pool didn't close for the month of December, I could get 500.)

Updated December 31st, 2011 at 05:18 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized