View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mon Jul 23, 2012 LCM

by , July 23rd, 2012 at 01:34 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jul 23, 2012

Zones are 2 weeks & 4 days away
    I'm training for speed & strength
    this week I'm working on 25's & 50's
    next will be 15's & 25's
    then rest & race prep

plan to lift today

Saturday, Jul 21 Swam
    Main set:
    assigned: drop down Set
    100's
    Starting at 2:00,
    drop 2 sec per repeat, (31 total)
    when you fail, skip a repeat, put on fins, attempt to resume
    Did:
    5 or 6 rounds of:
    1) 15M fast, 85 easy
    2) 25M fast, 75 easy
    3) 70M easy
    4) 50 fast 50 easy (fl 30's, bk 32)
    5) 70 easy
    then I got out with 20 min left

Longhorn Masters Schedule Update: 7/23-7/29
    M T W 6:00 - 7:30 am, 12-115 pm
    Th Fr Sa 5:30 - 7:00 am
    meet at UT this weekend
    2012 TAGS

**starting Aug 6th, the UT Swim center will close for 6 weeks We will use Mabel Davis pool during that time but we will only offer morning workouts

~ ~ ~

Whitney Coached
    LCM main pool
    6:00 - 7:30 dove in at 6:20
    swam with mike chris ned & Kristyne
    beside Larry & Mary

Warm Up (LCM)

Main Set (LCM)

assigned: 5 rounds of
    3 x 100 fr on 1:15 or 20
    100 K easy
    3 x 50 on 35, 37.5, or 40
    50 easy

Did:
    R1 3 on 1:20 warm up, 1 k, 3 x 50 on 40, 1 easy
    R2 I skipped the 2nd 100, swam easy speed held 1:10's & 9's

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets & Events

Sat Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    My Plans

2012 South Central Zones

Meet Info / Entry Form

Days Till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Mon Jul 23, 2012 LCM

by , July 23rd, 2012 at 01:31 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jul 23, 2012

Zones are 2 weeks & 4 days away
    I'm training for speed & strength
    this week I'm working on 25's & 50's
    next will be 15's & 25's
    then rest & race prep

plan to lift today

Saturday, Jul 21 Swam
    Main set:
    assigned: drop down Set
    100's
    Starting at 2:00,
    drop 2 sec per repeat, (31 total)
    when you fail, skip a repeat, put on fins, attempt to resume
    Did:
    5 or 6 rounds of:
    1) 15M fast, 85 easy
    2) 25M fast, 75 easy
    3) 70M easy
    4) 50 fast 50 easy (fl 30's, bk 32)
    5) 70 easy
    then I got out with 20 min left

Longhorn Masters Schedule Update: 7/23-7/29
    M T W 6:00 - 7:30 am, 12-115 pm
    Th Fr Sa 5:30 - 7:00 am
    meet at UT this weekend
    2012 TAGS

**starting Aug 6th, the UT Swim center will close for 6 weeks We will use Mabel Davis pool during that time but we will only offer morning workouts

~ ~ ~

Whitney Coached
    LCM main pool
    6:00 - 7:30 dove in at 6:20
    swam with mike chris ned & Kristyne
    beside Larry & Mary

Warm Up (LCM)

Main Set (LCM)

assigned: 5 rounds of
    3 x 100 fr on 1:15 or 20
    100 K easy
    3 x 50 on 35, 37.5, or 40
    50 easy

Did:
    R1 3 on 1:20 warm up, 1 k, 3 x 50 on 40, 1 easy
    R2 I skipped the 2nd 100, swam easy speed held 1:10's & 9's

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets & Events

Sat Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    My Plans

2012 South Central Zones

Meet Info / Entry Form

Days Till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sunday, July 22

by , July 23rd, 2012 at 11:53 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

600 various
    8 x 25 back shooters @ :40
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:15
    5 x 50 free @ :45
    50 EZ

Main Set: Monster Kick w/fins

8 x through:

1 x 100 up tempo backstroke kick @ 1:45
    1 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ) @ 1:00
    1 x (25 fast dolphin kick w/board @ 90% + 25 EZ) @ 1:00
    1 x 50 EZ flutter kick

-- Went 1:01, 1:01, 1:00, 1:00, :59, :59, :59, :56 on the 100 kicks
    -- Went 11 high-12 flat on dolphin kick 25s
    -- The shooters weren't all that easy after the up tempo 100 kicks

100 EZ

Total: 3450

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The pool wasn't too crowded for a weekend day. I got my own lane about halfway through the kick set. I'm still feeling pretty flattened from Saturday's dryland session, and it didn't even seem that hard. Re-commencing weights is always tough after an extended taper.

I've been religiously icing the elbow and it feels somewhat better.

HIT workouts are calorie torching:
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...-burn-calories
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. 07/23/12 - Monday workout

by , July 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Played soccer last night. Along with our regulars, 5 youth coaches from England played with us. I think we ended up playing 7 v 7 with a couple subs. They were all 18-25 and in significantly better shape than the rest of us. Things moved so fast, I had a lot of trouble keeping up. Defensively, I was burned regularly. I seemed to play better at forward where my speed made up for my lack of skill.

Practice this morning was pretty much the same thing. Phil brought his friend Cameron who was somewhere in the middle of the pack of the 200 Br swimmers at the Olympic trials. With Sam and Charlie, we had a good mix of college swimmers in our workout. I had no chance of keeping up but it was fun having them there.

SCY

600 Warm up

5 x 200 - 3:00 (Odds IM)
    100 Easy

4 x 125 - 1:45
    1:00 Break
    4 x 75 Sliding IM - 1:15
    200 Easy

4 x 125 IM - 2:00
    4 x 75 - 1:00
    200 Easy

4 x 125 Kick - 2:15
    4 x 75 Pull - 1:30 (sprint - :45, :45, :42)

100 Cool down

(4600 Total)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. slow sluggard at work

by , July 23rd, 2012 at 08:39 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I did some weightlifting last night and my short run yesterday where I went .7 miles now inn 10 minutes.
    Just couldn't move fast today.

500 free
    500 free kick w/fins

4x50@1:00 burst + cruise
    4x50@1:00 w/fins 25 power kick UW + 25 EZ

4x50@1:00 smooth free w/snorkle, fins & paddles
    100 free fast went 1:31 just didn't have it today
    4x50@1:00 EZ

4x50@1:00 smooth free w/snorkle, fins & paddles
    100 AFAP stroke broken @50 for :15 went fly out in :50 came back in :55 for a 1:45 this was ok for me
    4x50@1:00 EZ

300 EZ

Total 2700 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 07/21/12: Peaks to Portland

by , July 22nd, 2012 at 11:44 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Another fair warning: long race report blog to follow ...

This marked my third year swimming in the P2P 2.4 mile swim in Casco Bay, separating Peaks Island from the East End Beach in Portland, Maine. I first learned of this event after stumbling across the blog of Pat Gallant-Charette and asking our friends who live in Portland about this fundraising event for the YMCA in the region. Bobby had heard of it and had a kayak and a willingness to paddle for me, so I began my dive back into swimming (after a ten year + hiatus from the sport) by training for it. Most folks take the ferry out to the island in the morning (although one EC vet opted to swim it as a warmup this year), and after finalizing registration and a brief meeting we are sent off in one of four waves through the Atlantic Ocean to the finish line, passing Fort Gorges. Here is a link to the race map.

Since the weather was forcasted to be beautiful, we headed up to Maine in two vechiles: Lena took Preston and our nephew Adam in the car and I took the motorcycle. It was cloudy until we hit the border of Vacationland on the five hour trek, but then the sun popped out and did not disappear the entire weekend. What a glorious ride! After checking in at the Y and picking up my packet on Friday, we met up with our Maine hosts and ate at Tortilla Flat before heading back to the house, where Bobby and I took a short motorcycle cruise around town and to the park overlooking Casco Bay towards Peaks Island:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1155.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	6876

JBS contacted me earlier in the week to invite me to join the group that he and slknight swim with for a warmup at the outdoor Kiwanis Pool if I was up for it. I figured that I since I was able to get up to join tjrpatt in Philly for a 6am practice I could do the same in Portland, and Bobby and family was willing to get up so I dropped in for some pool tourism and about 400 meters are stretching out before the race. John gave me a ride to the ferry and I had a new friend, Jeff, snap this picture of your intrepid bloggers for your viewing pleasure:

Name:	IMAG1158.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	6874

We reached to island and signed off on waivers and got our timing chip. In the process I met up with Bobby, who paddled out with a friend instead of boarding the ferry, and was able to pass off my clothes to him and get duct tape on my feet before the final morning briefings took place. Duct tape? Yes, since the beach is essentially a mussel bed with sharp shells and some rocks, so wading out to the start can be treacherous (I still managed a few cuts on my toes this year). I also finally met Pat before the swim, as I did not find her last year during a season where she completed both the English and Catalina channels. Pat rocks!

There was a brief moment of silence to honor three pioneers of the race before a warmup period was allowed. After the my experience the first year, shivering in the cold between "warmups" and the start of the swim, I stayed on the beach and watched as the yakers departed from the beach and many got in some practice strokes. After a bit of work on the organizers part to clear the water and line up the waves of swimmers, I slowly entered the water with the first group to the end of the pier to await our sendoff, gazing past the waiting kayakers and towards the far end of the bay.

As arms and legs started to flail at the start, I found myself towards the center of the pod as we made strides into the cool water, a balmy 64-65 degrees this year. I have gotten a little more accustomed to not only the "ice cream headache" from the cold water but also the bumping at the start of the race, and didn't really get to tied up with anyone besides the usual hitting of hands and tapping of toes. I was able to get my head fully submerged within twenty strokes, and got into a strong swimming pattern. I found Bobby easily off shore due to the American Flag sailing above his kayak, and we made our way out into the ocean. Overall the water was much warmer than last year, but we found some colder spots.

Low tide occurred about an hour before the race started, so we ventured into the slack tide, which really didn't play into the swim until we rounded Fort Gorges around the halfway point. Bobby kept our line a little more to the west of the Fort, and we didn't have any issues until one of the swimmers without a kayak suddenly cut right in front of us. Bob moved from my right side to the left, then I saw legs appear out of nowhere! He kept heading towards the Old Port, until the police boat on the periphery pointed him in the right direction: we joked afterwards that he must have been swimming to the West End Beach! A few waves from the ferry splashed us around, but the water was fairly calm until the currents picked up after the Fort. I was about to get a quick drink when Bobby announced that we were at 34 minutes, which prompted me to forgo the feed and usual comedic banter to power on towards our goal.

We were again able to pick off some of the swimmers that stayed on a line closer to the Fort, and as we came closer to the finish area I could see the beach was packed! This year saw the highest number of participants at 316, over half of them were first-time athletes and 19 of us swam "naked," without a wetsuit. As we approaced the boats floating just off the beach, we were joined by three other kayaks. I focused on a strong kick and a faster turnover as I made my way into the finish area. Again I did a few breaststroke cycles before trying to stand up, then did my best to jog out of the water to the finish line. I was excited to hear the announcer mention that "it looks like our first non-wetsuit swimmer is making his way up the chute," and looked up to see a time of 51:52 before seeing John on the beach. Susan was the first female to emerge without a wetsuit shortly after - note that both of them swam without a yaker!

I met with my family and the Browns on the beach for pictures and celebration. After getting hosed off I took advantage of the free massage for swimmers before watching and cheering all of the swimmers into the beach. The harbormaster sounded the siren as the last swimmers reached the finish - Terry Swain, the aquatics director of the Y had waited near the boats offshore for all of the other swimmers to make land before finding her way there.

We packed up the cars then headed into the Old Port for lunch at Flatbread before heading home for a nap! We finished off the day by wandering down to Old Orchard Beach for some seashell hunting and relaxing on the beach before eating our way back to the house. It was another great weekend for a swim, and by far the most pleasant on the weather front. Susan sent a link to the Press Herald writeup and agreed that everyone finished about two minutes behind the pace from last year, likely due to the tide. John also saw a link on The Daily News of Open Water Swimming site about the swim that I am sure Pat sent in.

I can't wait for the excitement of next year's 32nd annual race with my friends in Maine! (I might even try to swim over to Peaks in the morning, but don't hold me to it too much) A lot of hard work goes into making this event happen, and I am very thankful that God has blessed me with a supportive family, a great team (including someone crazier than me that volunteers to kayak and his family, as well as Linda and Ron, who always cheer us on), all the volunteers, and the collective ability of all the swimmers to be able to raise money to help offer the benefits of the YMCA to folks who otherwise could not gain access to them.

Here is a picture of the best wingman in the business, my yaker Bobby, before the race:

Name:	IMAG1161.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	6877

Updated July 23rd, 2012 at 12:33 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events , Open Water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  7. Sunday July 22nd - PM Weights

TRX Planks
    2 x
    * front 1:00
    * left side :45
    * right side :45

Mountain climbers
    1:00

Dips
    Body weight (172 lb.), 2 sets of 10
    Body weight, 6 sets of 5
    I couldn't find a dip belt and was nervous about holding a dumbell between my ankles so I did sets of 10 and 5 with just body weight

Chest fly
    2 sets of 12 @ 20 lb.

Reverse fly
    2 sets of 12 @ 12 lb.

Box jumps
    2 sets of 20

A membership at the Ocean City Aquatic and Fitness Center gets one access to the pool and weight room so I signed up for a one week membership. I got there less than an hour before closing and the free weight room was full of enthusiastic teenaged boys, so I just got in this short workout in the somewhat quieter weight machine room.
  8. Sunday July 22nd - AM Swim

During the summer, the Ocean City Swim Club has Sunday morning workouts at the beach in Longport, NJ so I drove over this morning to see if I could get some pointers on open water swimming. They had three buoys set up in a triangular 350 yard course, with lifeguards on hand for safety, to help novices, and one in case anyone "wanted a workout".

Most people just got in the water and started swimming, but I wandered over to the people waiting for the lifeguards. It sounded like the novice group was for people that were nervous about the waves or about swimming in the ocean, so I went over to see about the workout and found that it was just me and the lifeguard, Erin. This turned out to be absolutely perfect for me because after she had me do a lap of warmup and another lap swimming at different stroke rates to see what effect that had in different currents, she asked what I wanted to learn and the "workout" turned into a 45 minute private lesson .

We first swam a couple of laps working on sighting, which was much more difficult than I expected because of the swell. At first I frequently had to resort to breaststroke, but eventually I began to get a feel of looking when I was on the crest of a swell instead of the in the trough and did much better by the end.

She also talked about drafting, which I thought I knew about about from lap swimming, but I was surprised when she said that the most effective position was right on the person's hip. This made sense once she explained it, but it isn't something I would have thought of myself. I was also surprised at first when she said that drafting someone can give you a psychological advantage as well as a physical advantage over them. I had to laugh when she said "people might not like you for doing it, but so what - it is an effective strategy".

She had to leave early to get to work, so I swam a few more laps on my own after she left. All told I think I did 8 laps, so I went about 2800 yards.

I am so happy I got up to do this today, it was exactly what I needed!

Updated July 22nd, 2012 at 11:16 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  9. EZ lake swim; creaky shoulder

by , July 22nd, 2012 at 09:20 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    ...2 miles in the lake today (65-70 minutes). I really wanted to take it EZ today after yesterday's 5-miler, which had ended with a pretty sore left shoulder. Today I could feel the shoulder tugging a bit, but only on movements that weren't directly involved in the stroke... oddly; like when I was turning on the buoy, for example. My stroke was unaffected, though my range of motion outside the normal stroke felt restricted on the left. This leads me to the conclusion that my soreness may have to do with one (if not a combination) of the following factors:

1. my open turns in SCY on my hard day this week;
    2. drills in which I employed eccentric movements (aren't those supposed to help with range of motion?)... in particular, the high-overhead swingers;
    3. couple of hours of guitar on Friday night (I haven't played that long in a while... and a more asymmetrical activity is difficult to imagine);
    4. a twisting of the joint while reaching for the wall on my back during a back-kick drill on Thursday or Friday (my backstroke always causes problems... I'm probably pretty imbalanced, which means I avoid backstroke, which probably exacerbates my imbalance, etc.).

Anyway, I'm pleased as all get-out that my freestyle feels so good and my rhythm is there the day after doing five miles in the same lake. But I'm thinking that it's probably time to start incorporating some dry land work into my routine, to help with range of motion and strengthen that shoulder joint.

Oh, and Lake Andrea was awesome today... in spite of the late afternoon swim, the waters were calm (no wind) and still fairly cool (doesn't feel like a luke warm bath as it did about a week and a half ago).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Saturday July 21st - Open Water Swim?

I was apprehensive on the drive from Philadelphia to Ocean City NJ, worrying about my first open water swim - the Ocean City Masters Swim, a one mile swim in the Atlantic along the Ocean City beach. Logically I had nothing to worry about because I know I can easily swim a mile and I don't have any previous experience to compare my performance with. On the other hand I have never raced in open water and only had a two minute description of how to sight, so thinking about having to figure it all out in the middle of a mob (last year 450 people entered) had me a bit worried. Despite the worries I was looking forward to the race, and to meeting fellow forumite [ame="http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=26919"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame] who was planning to come down for the race.

As it happens our rental house is just two blocks from the race finish, so I walked down to have a look at the water as soon as we pulled up. I don't know what the water is usually like for a race, but the large swell and two lines of breakers gave me pause:

Registration was open until 6:00 but I walked over at 3:30 so I would have enough time warm up and then relax before the race at 6:30, and was told that they had decided to postpone the race until next Saturday morning at 9:00 because of the weather. Luckily I was able to get Sojerz on his cell phone so he didn't have to drive all the way down here and we had a nice chat.

We have to be out of our house at 10:00 on Saturday so I should be able to do the race and as a bonus, I will be able to skip last minute house cleanup . The postponement may be a blessing in surprise because I will be able to practice swimming in the ocean, maybe I can even figure out this "sighting" thing so I don't actually swim 2 miles.

Updated July 22nd, 2012 at 11:15 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sun LCM workout nonmodified again!

by , July 22nd, 2012 at 08:46 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I know, I know. I didn't modify the workout and it was kind of fun today - just my type of sprint day.

LCM, Sunday 9am practice

400 warm up

12 x 50's on 1:00
    kick/drill odds
    build evens

300/200/100 pull on 1:40 base
    sub 4:00, sub 2:40, 1:14ish
    buoy and green paddles. I had a blow out on the 300 so that one was quite fast, considering.

4 rounds of:
    4 x 50 in 1:15
    12.5 fast, 25 fast, 37.5 fast, 50 fast
    100 easy on 2:00

50's fast slowest was under 35, fastest was on coach's count at 32 high.

This last set I was quite proud of myself. It was acceptable times for now, but the biggest thing was the comfort of the swim. I didn't feel that uncomfortable, but wasn't quite acclimated to the entire LCM thing! It was also very difficult with this modest rest to have a really good breathe pattern on the all fast 50. I take 2 breaths in a race, but could only go the first 30+ and then it was a struggle due to wanting more air. Must work on that! I would like to be 32 to 30's and that would be very strong indeed.

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Then later,

25 minute walk
    CoreX!

++++++++++++++++++++++
    I have decide my game plan for next season. All subject to change if I have to take extra cases or appointments, or something super busy family-wise. But, assuming the steady state of busy-ness, here it is:

Note that these are IDEALS:

SCY goal: 23.9 or less by 12/31/12 in USA meets (nontapered);

Enter & Swim Austin Grand Prix;
    if SCY/LCM format, make any final heat 27.5 or better LCM

Enter & Swim Mesa Grand Prix;
    assuming LCM format, 26.9 or better

My masters life? Swim whatever comes along, and my fav choices this year are (in this order):

1. 50 free - as fast as possible
    2. 100 free- see what I can do but i'm not killing myself
    3. 200 back - top ten 10 and for fun
    4. 50's of any other stroke to get my entry fee's worth

All events at Republic of Texas World Champs, if 3rd annual takes place.

Try to make top ten in at least 5 events to keep moving towards 200. I didn't swim any meets in LCM this year, and I don't mix my USA and USMS times, a personal thing. (I like to keep them separate).

+++++++++++++++++++++
    So now that I have my IDEAL goals, I have been rejuvenated and feel a more concrete sense of purpose and strategy for my workouts. I am "taking my medicine" of LCM right now, after years of squandering my talent and rarely swimming LCM, other than Sunday sprint days. But now my goal is to go Sats/Sundays, and maybe Wed sprint evenings for a whopping THREE LCM workouts per week for the entire year!!! That ought to help my 50 tremendously! It seems it might really work out well, as the key 3 are LCM, then I can go on my own and do SCM starts, turns, and very targeted sprint stuff 1 or 2 other days per week, or the stroke days (Tues/Thurs) during the day. I'd like to keep up with my P90X workouts:

PlyoX
    CoreX
    (or CardioX substitute if I am too tired)
    2 of the other 5 (rotate thru 4 arms and 1 leg X's) plus AbRipperX.

which makes 4x per week.

Was thinking to start Insanity on 01/01/13, but not sure whether to start then, or wait unti 07/01/13 (after my LCM season) and finishing up by 09/01/13? Depending on how I do by 12/31/12, i'll decide to either continue with current training, or whether I can try a new routine.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sat., Jul 21

by , July 22nd, 2012 at 01:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    HS hi row, 95 x 1 x 5, 140 x 4 x 8
    deadlift, 95 x 1 x 5, 115 x 4 x 5
    reverse preacher curl, 20 x 1 x 8, 30 x 1 --- F! right elbow went twang just like a rubber band, insta pain.
    explosive leg press, 190 x 4 x 10
    leg abductor, 100 x 3 x 8
    total ab machine, 100 x 3 x 15
    straight leg raises, 2 x 20

Bike, 45 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Took Friday off as I was super busy and wanted to see The Dark Knight rises. Yesterday was busy too with our last summer league meet (cold and in the rain) and Lil Fort's twilight race. Both girls grabbed some wins and Lil Fort dropped time in her 5K, running a 20:47. Next weekend is our Divisional Champs. My once a week swimmer Teen Fort will swim fly & breast. But Lil Fort has to miss out bc she's running the 3000 at the National Track & Field championships in Baltimore the same day. http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend...and-Field.aspx.

I definitely reinjured my right elbow yesterday. . It's been slightly twitchy lately, which I believe is due to subbing breast for free during practice. But now it feels just like it did last November and I'm worried I've done some permanent damage to the tendon. I had hoped, with my shoulder improved, to be injury free for awhile. Foiled. And this really throws a wrench in my plans to build back upper body strength this summer heading into the fall short course racing season. I have an appt for (hopefully) my last PRP session on my shoulder on Aug. 21. I'll rest it until then and see what the doc says about my elbow. Last time, the cortisone shot zapped the pain, but if there's some damage in there, that won't help in the long term.

Updated July 22nd, 2012 at 06:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  13. Workouts (Week of 7/22)

7/22 @ DRY 9 am
    600 Warm-Up (300 Swim, 200 Kick, 100 Drill)
    6x50 Swim Golf 1:00
    2x400 #1 Free, #2 IM
    300 Cool Down
    2000 Total

7/25@ RCHS 7:30 am
    200 wu
    4x50 d/s 1:00
    4x25 kick :40
    100 ez
    100 fly from dive 1:02
    300 cd
    1000 total

7/27 @ DRY 8:30 am
    300 wu
    8x50 d/s RIMO 1:00
    300 (alt. KSK by 100)
    3x50 1:10 #1-2 fly fast :32, :32...#3 easy free
    6x50 #1,2,4,5 fly 6 strokes/25 avg. 16 secs...#3 & 6 easy
    4x50 recovery swim down 1:00
    1500 total

Updated July 27th, 2012 at 10:51 AM by kellys

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  14. Losing my Modifying Touch

by , July 21st, 2012 at 08:54 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    What is wrong with me? I did the entire Saturday workout. Again! Well, I guess leading the lane you are rather committed. And they aren't used to my modifying shinanigans.

LCM, SMU outdoor pool

500 warmup
    did the entire thing!
    got to practice in plenty-o-time. amazing how lack of parking will incentivize me to show up early for a coveted free parallel parking space!

400 pull

5x 150 on 2:30
    this wasn't easy, but I only held 2:10 to a 2:03!

4 x 100 easy on 1:45

5 x 150 on 2:30
    swam #1 on 2:05
    kick with Speedo Optimus fins on back
    held 2:15ish to 2:10 on last one

2 x 100 easy

I was surprised I wasn't faster. But, it shows i'm not in the greatest of vanilla-set shape. I was thinking 40 base per 50 would be more like it, so I should be working towards starting nearer to 2:00 and then working down under for the fastest ones.

I can't even remember my "old" LCM paces. I haven't really swum LCM workouts other than sprint LCM days since circa 1998 before I was married. So a 40 base seems a key marker, seeming to be the equivalent of around a 37 SCM.. but it depends on the set as well....

Then....
    25 minute walk
    Plyo X!

and then....
    I cleaned all the bathrooms in the house, except for my husband's shower. Ran out of magic eraser pads, and I won't clean any shower without them now! I was going to get my girls to help, but I simply forgot and was on a roll with my cleaning routine.

Then....
    watched the Magnificent Ambersons for about the 8th time, and the ending to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which i've seen maybe at least 10 times now. There is nothing so thrilling as the human race getting kicked by the apes.

Next up:
    Sunday LCM workout! Will I do the entire workout again? Boy, that makes my posts super boring!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 5-mile lake swim

by , July 21st, 2012 at 07:01 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    OK, it's been a few days since I blogged; so it's time for an update.

Today: 5-miles in the lake, took me exactly 3 hours. I set a gatorade bottle up on the beach in the shade of a cinder block and tied my stopwatch to it so I would know what my pace was more or less when I came to shore for a feed after 3 miles. My 3-mile time was 1:45. So my final two miles, which felt a lot slower were at about a 37:00/mile pace... This is the first really long continuous swim I've done since May. Everything since then has been 2-4 miles for some reason.

The lake water felt cooler today after a drop in temps and some much needed rain over the last couple of days. Probably mid-70s I'd guess. Water was very calm... almost perfect. Not many other swimmers either, though I was worried when I first walked up and saw 4 people tarzan swimming--literally, they never put there heads down during freestyle--a couple of breast-strokers and an elementary back-stroker; none of them circle swimming. They didn't stay long and one by one they were all out of the water by about 8AM.

My left shoulder was really stiff today, especially in the last 2-3 miles. I think my workout on Thursday might have tweaked it a little (I did 4000 yards SCY, the main set of which included 8 x 200 free on 3:30; all around 3:00-3:05). And yesterday I rested a bit (2400 SCY), but was doing a lot of drills and think that didn't help.

I popped a couple of advil today when I got back to the house and will do that again tonight.

All in all, a good week... more than 15 miles (almost 10 OW), plus I got in lake, LCM, and SCY workouts. Feeling pretty good about that.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Delightful beach day

I enjoyed a totally delightful swim out at Brighton Beach today. After a week of sweltering heat and thunderstorms, we finally had a gloriously clear and cool day. I took the subway out, arriving around 10 and meeting up with my friend Cara coming out of the Brighton station. There was a decent crowd on the beach, and the array of bags on the sand indicated that even more CIBBOWS swimmers were already out in the waves.

And waves there were! Brighton is on the Atlantic, but because it is somewhat protected we rarely get true surf out there--conditions generally range from flat to quite choppy, depending on the wind. But today there were true waves, probably stirred up by yesterday's storms, with breakers rolling onto the sand--we actually had to dive under to get out beyond them. Once out in deeper water, there was little chop, just nice undulating ocean to swim in. It was easy going in both directions, and the water seemed downright playful as it tossed me gently around.

I swam a bit with Cara, then went off on my own toward the pier, passing and greeting several groups of swimmers who had left the beach before me. At the pier I stopped and floated, watching the landmarks on shore and marveling at how fast the current was still pushing me westward. No wonder the trip out had seemed to go by so quick!

I headed back before I got pushed into any fishing lines (or hooks). The going back was obviously slower, but I didn't care. It was wonderful to swim playfully and not be in a hurry--I was just enjoying my time in the water. As I neared my starting point I recognized some CIBBOWS swimmers playing in the waves, so I swam in and chatted with them, and then with some others on the beach. It was nice to take the time to see people--I feel like I haven't been at the beach much this summer, or have socialized too little when out there, and have ended up seeing too little of my beach buddies. Not today! After visiting, I got a drink then headed back out to finish my loop.

The second dip was just as much fun as the first, and somehow the water always seems even more refreshing the second time around. I'm glad the temps seem to have dropped since last week--today the water felt completely comfortable instead of too warm. And I felt no sea lice or jellies today--maybe the storms washed them out to sea? We can always hope! I finished my swim with a joyful mini-IM, then a long float, before heading in and changing.

Tomorrow I'm back out at bright and early (5:45am!) to help with the annual Grimaldo's Mile race, and then maybe to get in a little swim of my own afterwards. I've been assigned "body marking" duty, which I think means I get to draw funny pictures on entrants, along with the occasional number. (I'll be brushing up on my Roman numerals tonight.). I hope the weather and water are just as good tomorrow for the milers as they were today. Grimaldo's is always a fun race, and I'm proud I'll be a part of it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. birthday swim at the Y

by , July 21st, 2012 at 05:21 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Was at the Y today and it was hot. The temp was 86, too hot to really swim fast. It is such a shame that this is the only indoor pool in the area servicing 3 counties and it is not taken care of. The AC has been broken for several months and it is stifling on deck.

As my kids remind me I am officially older than dirt now. I guess at 50 I am heading down the hill.

200 free
    200 kick IM order on back
    200 free w/strapless paddles
    200 kick free w/board
    200 free

6 x 100 kick w/fins, descend to 200 pace @ 2:00 went 1:28, 1:30, 1:25, 1:24, 1:22, 1:17
    100 EZ

5 x :15 AFAP VK + :30 EZ VK w/2 lb weight
    100 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:30
    1-4 = 15 m burst fly + cruise free
    5 = AFAP fly went :42
    6-8 = EZ
    9 = AFAP fly went :40
    10 = EZ

100 EZ
    4x25 SDK UW could not get as far as yesterday due to the water temp

total 2500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Saturday, 7/21/12

by , July 21st, 2012 at 04:26 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Today was supposed to be a distance free day since I have a week until I spend the weekend doing 5 open water races. But RL got in the way and I had to be on job site at 5:30 to observe a concrete pour. So instead of getting to the pool at 7:00 and having 2 hours to swim I didn't get there until around 8:00 leaving me with only an hour. But I made the best of it with a short warm up and then a set of 500's.

SCM, Solo

Warm up
    1 x 300 free, build
    1 x 100 kick

Main Set
    5 x 500/30 sr, after the 1st one at 8:20, kept the rest at 8:15.

Warm down
    100 easy back & free

Total: 2900 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 07.21.12 - Saturday workout

by , July 21st, 2012 at 01:50 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Between morning thunderstorms and donating platelets, I had to take Friday off from swimming. I don't like days off much and this morning was looking pretty bad as well. At about 3:00 AM, thunderstorms were so heavy, the sky was almost constantly lit by lightning. At 4:20, I woke my son up to take him to his grandparents house before I went to the pool. Still a good bit of lightning. When we left at 4:40, it was starting to break up a little and there was hope for a 5:30 practice. By the time I dropped him off and got to the Nat at 5:15, it was still raining but no more lightning. Practice was very light. I swam with Sally and Bob. There were a couple beginners and triathletes doing their own thing but it was surprisingly smaller than the weekday Dublin workout we have been having.

SCY (Long course is done around here )

500 Warm up

200 Kick
    200 Pull
    200 IM Down drill, back stroke

4 x 100 Odds IM drill, Evens IM (1:18 ish)
    4 x 200 Free - 3:15 (Descended 2:25, 2:24, 2:20, 2:19)
    4 x 100 IM Order, Drill down, stroke back

4 x 100 Kick
    4 x 200 IM - 3:30 (Descended 2:55, 2:45, 2:43, 2:38)
    4 x 100 Pull - 1:30 (Descended 1:10, 1:08, 1:06, 1:02)

4 times through:
    * 50 Stroke - 1:00 (IM Order by iteration)
    * 75 Free - 1:00

Before I could cool down a rumble of thunder abruptly ended practice. Got a decent workout between storms.

(4800 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Stroke Saturday

After weeks of struggling to keep my head above water at work I finally decided to blog again. I have been blessed to be exremely busy at work and haven't found the five minutes to post a couple of comments. This morning was my kind of workout and we had a small group at the pool.

10 min. Choice
    -- 200 bouy only
    -- 200 IM drill
    -- 200 kick/swim by 25

300 dolphin kick on back w/fins
    8 x 75 (kick/drill/swim) rest 5
    -- went IM order

4 times through the following
    200 stroke @ 4:00 cruise
    2 x 100 stroke @ 1:50 build
    2 x 50 stroke @ 1:30 sprint
    -- went bk,br,bk,IM by round

Pull 8 x 75
    1&2 fly @ 1:20
    3&4 bk @ 1:20
    5-8 fr @ 1:05

16 x 25
    1-8 stroke build @ 45
    9-12 stroke sprint @ 50
    13-16 free sprint @ 35

300 w/d

Not too bad, just a lot of stroke swims which I like.The intervals were good to really build or sprint when we were suppose to. I did find out that I am not very good at pulling fly with paddles. I ditched them after the first 50.
    Categories
    Uncategorized