View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Double Mon Feb 28th, 2011

by , February 28th, 2011 at 03:26 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE Mon Feb 28th, 2011

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, SCY Diving Well noon to 1:15
    dove in at 12:05
    trained with Bob
    Beside James Fike, Stan, Mark Wood, Richie, & Pat Evoe
    wore worn out FS PRO jammer

WARM UP
    assigned 2 x 500 did around 600

Main SET:
    assigned 20 x 100 4 fr on 1:10, 1 easy kick
    Did:
    Round 1: 2 x 200 fr on 2:10, made it, 1 easy k on 3:00
    Round 2: 2 x 200 on 2:10, Made it, 1 easy k
    Round 3: 2 x 200 on 2:10, made it, 1 easy k
    Round 4: 400 strong went 4:10, 1 easy kick
    missed the first 1 100 and a 50 of the 2nd

5 x 150 on 2:00

3 x 150 k NO FINS on 3:00
    skipped 1 and rested 5 minutes

150 k strong
    went 1:41

50 easy

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    2011 South Central Zone SCY Championships
    Josh Davis Natatorium, San Antonio, TX
    Days Till

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
    2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
    Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
    Order of Events
    Days till

Updated February 28th, 2011 at 04:32 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Fort Stretching Tips

by , February 28th, 2011 at 02:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    FORT STRETCHES:

As I get older, stretching and staying flexible have seemed to increase in importance. Stretching can speed recovery, help remove lactic acid build up and help the muscles generate force. I believe stretching also helps keep me more injury free and prevents tightness from negatively impacting performance. When I stretch on my own, I combine yoga poses and stretches that focus principally on stretching the back, chest, hips and legs. I rarely stretch the shoulders, so as to prevent further loosening of my loosey goosey shoulder tendons. I do these after exercising and hold the stretches for 30 seconds. I'm also a fan of the P90X stretching DVD. Here are my top 20 stretches:

Half Moon Pose:

http://www.thesecretsofyoga.com/Bikr...half-moon.html

Standing Separate Leg Pose:

http://www.thesecretsofyoga.com/Bikr...half-moon.html

Standing Head to Knee Forward Bend:

Stand and bend over grabbing heels underneath. Then touch forehead to shins keeping legs straight and knees locked.

Standing Bow:

http://www.bikramyogabozeman.org/Ima...Bow%20Pose.htm

Wind Removing Pose:

http://www.bikramyogabozeman.org/Ima...20removing.htm

Camel:

http://www.santosha.com/ushtra.html

Fixed Firm Pose:

http://ombyoga.com/2010/03/26/postur...xed-firm-pose/

Spine Twisting:

Sit on the ground with your legs crossed. Lift your right leg and cross it over the left, which should remain bent. Hug the right leg to your chest and twist the trunk of your body to look over your right shoulder. Change legs and repeat (i.e. looking over your left shoulder).

http://www.bikramyogales.com/bikram-...pine-twisting/

Cat Stretch:

Begin on all fours, hands directly under your shoulders and knees directly under your hips.
    Inhale as you drop tummy towards the floor and look up over your head. Exhale as you bring your tummy back up, rounding your back as you tuck your chin in and tuck your tailbone in.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-67HQ5xetzk"]Cat Stretch - YouTube[/nomedia]

Scapular Stretch:

Sit on floor with knees bent and feet on the floor. Place arms under knees grabbing the opposite elbow. Pull back with your back. This is a good stretch for the mid back.

Knee Drops or Hip/trunk Twists:

Bring the knees up and bend them to 90 degrees, shins parallel to the floor and arms out to the sides. Contract the abs and rotate the torso to lower the legs to the right, bringing them down to the floor. Bring the knees back to center and lower to the left side.

Spinal Twist:

While lying face up on the mat, grab the right leg (straight) with the left hand. Slowly twist the leg to the left straight to the floor while keeping both shoulders on the ground. Great stretch for the glutes and back.

Hamstring Stretch:

Lie on your back and place a piece of exercise tubing (or just use your hands) around the bottom of one of your feet. Pull the tubing and raise your leg at the same time until a comfortable stretch is felt. You can also pull the leg to the floor (left leg to the left side and right leg to the right side) to open up the hips.

Piriformis Stretch:

Lying on your back, cross your legs just as you might while sitting in a chair. Grasping the "under" leg with both hands, pull the knee toward your chest until you feel the stretch in your buttocks and hips.

External Hip Rotation Stretch:

Sit down with knees bent. Rest one ankle on the opposite thigh. Lean forward pushing with hands.

Adductor Stretch:

Sit up on the floor with legs spread. Reach forward with hands, trying to put chest on the floor. You can also bend to the right and to the left in this position to stretch the oblique muscles.

Kenpo Quad Stretch:

Lay on your stomach. Grab your left heel with your left hand and stretch. Do the other side. You can also do this laying on your side. To make it harder and also stretch the glutes a la P90X, tuck one knee under and then reach back for the heel. Try to place your hands on the floor in front of you.

Gastroc (back of the calf) Stretch:

Lean against a wall or other stationary object, both palms against the object. The leg you want to stretch is back, several feet from the wall, your heel firmly positioned on the floor. Your other leg is flexed about halfway between your back leg and the wall. Start with your back straight and gradually lunge forward until you feel the stretch in your calf. Keep your back foot straight and angled 90 degrees from the wall.

Groin Stretch:

Seated, put the soles of your feet together. With your elbows on the inside of your knees, gradually lean forward with a straight back and gently press your knees toward the ground.

Forearm Stretch:

Get on all fours. Place hands on floor with fingers pointing back to your knees. Gently pull back, stretching forearms.

Links/Pictures:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...lstretches.php

http://www.dcdoctor.com/pages/rightp...cise_back.html

http://www.google.com/images?q=stret...w=1642&bih=894

Updated January 7th, 2012 at 12:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mon Feb 28th, 2011

by , February 28th, 2011 at 12:44 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Feb 28th, 2011

Did not swim Th or Fri
    Swam Sat & Sun
    Lifted Fri

got a nice note from a dad in Mexico who stumbled upon and likes my [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=231448&postcount=1544"]Swim Faster Faster Tips[/ame]

Congrats to UT Men & Women for winning the 2011 Big 12 Men's & Womens Swimming and Diving Championships Titles. UT Women & Aggie Women were very close
    RESULTS

info arrived for the
    Fri April 1 - 3, 2011 at the
    Josh Davis Natatorium in
    San Antonio, TX

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, SCY Center course
    5:15 to 6:30 dove in around 5:50ish
    trained with Mike, marcio, todd, & Ned
    Beside Max, Kelly,
    wore FS PRO jammer

WARM UP
    missed

Main SET:
    20 x 100
    4 fr on 1:10 except round 4 was on 1:05
    1 easy kick
    missed the first 1 100 and a 50 of the 2nd

5 x 150 on 1:45

5 x 150 fl k NO FINS on 2:00
    made it

150 br kick

100 easy

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    Josh Davis Natatorium, San Antonio, TX
    Days Till

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
    2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
    Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
    Order of Events
    Days till

Updated February 28th, 2011 at 12:49 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. The End of February...YAY!

by , February 28th, 2011 at 12:18 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    YAY! February is FINALLY over! First of all, it's been a crazy month - weather-wise. With the beginning of the month having ice storms to today - with 2.5+ inches of rain overnight and schools delayed because of all the flooding.... E-gads. Makes you wonder what's next?!

My total for the February Fitness Challenge? 112,200 yards swam over 27 days. Of course, I now have a slight injury -either from overuse or from shoveling the last load of really heavy, wet snow on Friday (or probably a combination of the two). Anyways, my back/ left side is absolutely aching when I twist or lift my left arm up and down (golly - kind of like a freestyle stroke). So, I decided that after 27 days in a row of swimming, I am going to take tomorrow off - and see how I feel on Wednesday. I suppose if there is any time to be injured, it's right now. The state meet is four weeks away and Y Nationals are six weeks. But... I'm rather hoping that diligent stretching over the next two days will help the muscles get back to normal and I'll be able to refocus on sprinting - and to be in the pool doing something other than kicking.

Today's workout was primarily a kick-fest, with some breaststroke work thrown in for good measure. Oddly enough, breaststroke - which is my least favorite of the four - had the only arm motion that wasn't excruiatingly painful. The other way I got around my pain was to do fly one arm drills for a good portion of the workout. Of course, I only drilled with one arm....

Enjoy your swims tomorrow for me!

Updated March 1st, 2011 at 11:31 AM by kgernert

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, 2/28/11

by , February 28th, 2011 at 12:03 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    200 free build from easy to moderate
    4 x 75/1:20 build
    - swam as 50 free/25 back
    200 IM: 25 kick/25 swim
    6 x 50 ds: - 3/1:00, 3/50
    - did back on 1-3, free on 4-6

Main Set: Back/Fly/Free
    Did each round of 100's as:
    #1 - 75 Back/25 Fly
    - times were ±130
    #2 - 75 Free/25 Breast
    - times were ±1:30
    #3 - all Free
    - times were ±1:20

Swim 3 x 100/2:00 ds to strong
    Kick 4 x 50/1:10 ds to strong
    - flutter w/board, times were 1:00-1:02
    Kick 4 x 50/1:05 ds to strong
    - flutter on back, times were ±54
    Kick 4 x 100/1:00 ds to fast
    - flutter on back, times were ±53
    Swim 3 x 100/2:00 ds to fast

Cool down
    100 easy

Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. An up and down meet

by , February 28th, 2011 at 11:22 AM (Life in the (not so) fast lane)
    It was double posted. Looks like I messed up the deletion of one of the posts. Reposting...

This is my first year doing meets, and Saturday's meet is only my third SCY meet ever, so I'm a noob. All things considered, the meet was just kind of okay. I did:

50 free: 29.36

This was very disappointing. My last time was 29.03 and I was absolutely certain I was going to break into the 28s this time given how I was swimming in practice, but it was not to be. It felt like in the movie A Christmas Story when Ralph gets a C+ on his essay. Next time.

50 breast: 40.91

This was a total WTF, since I've been under 40 the last couple of times I did it. I felt good and someone was right beside me the whole way, so I was pushing hard. Maybe a late start? Slow turn? I don't know.

100 free: 1:08.36

I was happy with this, since this is a best time for me. My splits were 36.03, 32.33.

200 free: 2:32.29

This was okay, since I generally *hate* 200s of anything. At least I hate doing them in practice. I felt good here, and will probably do this event next time. I expect to beat this time handily at the next meet. My splits leave plenty of room for improvement with more disciplined training: 38.99, 40.74, 38.34, 34.22

100 IM: 1:24.57

About average for me, and I didn't beat my seed time. On the backstroke leg, I'm convinced the pool water suddenly changed to molasses. It really happened! My splits: 43.69, 40.88
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday, Feb. 28, 2011 5:00am

by , February 28th, 2011 at 10:04 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    My wife and I started the P90X program last Friday night, and have done 3 days of it so far, and feeling pretty good. Day #2 was actually the hardest day, like in most things, but once you get past that it seemed easier. We'll see as the adventure continues.

P90X:
    Friday: UML - 45 minutes
    Saturday: Cardio Intervals (one set) - 30 minutes
    Sunday: Cardio Intercals (two sets) - 60 minutes
    My legs/knees are really feeling the brunt of this new workout addition. I'm a sea animal, not a land animal. But at least I know its just muscle fatigue.

Swimming
    Warmup:
    200 Free
    200 Free Pull

600 IM Fairly Fast - went 7:55
    1:00 rest
    400 IM AFAP after the 600 went 5:05
    1:00 rest
    200 IM AFAP after that went 2:25

I was really happy with the way I felt doing these, and the times seemed to be pretty good. Had another guy jump in a start swimming during the middle of the 600, so I just had to avoid him.

400 Free Pull stretch out

Twice thru:
    4 x 50 Free @ :45
    50 Kick

8 x 25 Dive Sprints & swim EZ back

---------------
    2900 Yards
  8. MATT Monday Workout

by , February 28th, 2011 at 08:35 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    SCY

400 Warm-up

3 x 100 - 1:25
    2 x 100 - 1:20
    1 x 100 - 1:15
    16 x 25 - :30 Easy Free/Hard Stroke
    16 x 25 - :30 Kick

50 Easy

16 x 25 - :40 Breath Control

150 Cool down

(4100 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Back to the grind with some evil stoking

by , February 28th, 2011 at 07:32 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Tired from coaching this weekend but it was great Sandra did really well.

We diddn't have a clock for the first part of the workout the first set I did using my wrist watch.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Breast kick w/brfins
    5x100@:10R back kick w/fins burn thighs burn
    10x50@1:00 Breast pull w/paddles & fins use dolphin motion
    500 Free every 3rd lap FAST Breast
    5x100@1:40 Free #1-4 with min 4 beat kick # 5 normal 2 beat

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sadness, so behind on my GTD!

by , February 27th, 2011 at 10:24 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    This week started out so promising!! I was on my third day in the water in a row! Kinda worried that my arms might not hold out for day 6, but excited to be back at it, when blam! Out of nowhere, I get hit with a nasty vomiting virus!! 1:45 in the morning Thursday morning I was rewriting my plans for the week. Friday morning I realized I was now back to my usual "pace" for GTD and that I wasn't going to be back in the water until Saturday at the earliest. Saturday, I was determined, I was going to get in 5000, no matter how ugly it was, just to get the darn distance in! Then I actually dove in the pool, and in about 25 yards realized I should've stayed home because I still felt pretty puny. I limped through 1500 and then tucked my tail between my legs and went back home to bed. Took off today too - can't believe I get sick the week I get a new grandbaby! Can't go visit the baby and breathe nasty germs on her! Her might get sick too! And then her mommy might get really pissed off & not let me come back for a while! Poo.
    On the positive side - feeling much more myself today. Got in lots of baby time - now have lots of baby clothes in the dryer & my swim gear in the car for AM practice. Maybe this week I'll get a bit closer to that darn GTD pace clock!

Updated February 27th, 2011 at 10:25 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Elenna.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	6582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Elenna & Ben.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	6583  
  11. did not get to post yesterday

by , February 27th, 2011 at 07:50 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Managed to get a quick swim in before the warmups for the kids state meet. only 2000 yards then off to coach. I AM TIRED!

They did an awesome job.

1000 Free as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    3x200@4:00 Fly as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick/50 swim w/fins
    200 free kick w/fins
    200 free easy

Total 2000 yards.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sunday, Feb. 27

by , February 27th, 2011 at 07:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mini Drylands, 45 minutes:

broomstick twists & dislocations
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    bicycles on bosu, 2 x 25
    long arm crunches, 50
    hip hinges, 20 x 1 x 10, each leg

RC work, 15 minutes (arm extensions, external rotators, chops on yoga ball with hand weights, scapular scrunches, arm circles, cavic drill with hand weights)

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes:

One day, I'll list and provide links to my stretches. Too busy now -- must watch the Oscars.

And one of USMS's own, nationally ranked Susan Dawson-Cook, has produced her own DVD on stretching. Check it out:

http://www.susandawson-cook.com/pers...st_stretch.htm

Swim/SCM/Solo:

This was another "Technique Sunday."

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

3 x through:

100 single arm (alternate left & right by 25)
    100 kick
    4 x 25 shooters
    2 x 50 drill

#1 = fly
    #2 = back
    #3 = breast

-- For breast, I did the "shooters" as 1 pull 3 kick. I did the 50 drills as BR pull.

8 x 25 breast drill
    alternate dolphin kick with breast kick

-- My timing is still off on my breaststroke kick. Though I did realize that when I'm kicking, I'm not kicking very hard but going through the motions because I'm usually focusing on a quick recovery. Doh, might go faster if I think about my kick instead.

16 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy

8 x 25 breast drill
    alternate dolphin kick with breast kick

8 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens - easy

-- I wanted to do more, but there was a portly noodling type in my narrow lane. Just made it extremely difficult.

100 EZ

Total: 2700 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Mini was at a volleyball tournament, Lil Fort at a birthday party and Mr. Fort cycling, so I headed out to the gym this afternoon. It was unusually crowded in the pool. Good thing I didn't have a serious workout planned!

I've seen all the Oscar nominated movies except Winter's Bone. I'm torn between The Fighter and The King's Speech for best picture, though I guess the favorite may be The Social Network.

I did finally get myself signed up for the Warrenton meet (100 fly/50 fly/100 IM) and I saw that the meet was up to 85 people. I'm hoping my foot won't hurt to go off the blocks. My right foot is in the back position, so I need to bend it and push off. This round of PRP seems to be hurting slightly longer than the previous times. Perhaps this is because the doc focused on the inside of the foot, which is always being worked. I wasn't really sure what times to enter. I rarely swim the 100 fly and 100 IM untapered. In fact, due to meet line ups and such, I haven't swum the 100 IM since December 2009. I probably ought to swim one in practice!

Updated February 27th, 2011 at 08:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  13. Saturday and Sunday

by , February 27th, 2011 at 07:22 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Saturday was a short swim with the Nasti Tribe! Here's how it went:
    **400 Warm-up swim
    **3 X through:
    350 pull on 5:30
    4 X 25 Stroke on :30
    200 swim @ 4:00 (alternate stroke/freestyle)
    **4 X 100 Free @ 2:00--all out steady
    **150 cool-down.

2,900 scy

Sunday was another Nasti swim:

**800 Freestyle warm-up swim
    **super 500 swim (recovery 25's fly)
    **Repeat 4 X through:
    8 X 50 Descending :5 each swim(1:10/ 1:05/ 1:00/ 55:00/ 50:00/ 45:00/ 40:00/ 35:00)
    **easy 200 cool-down

3,100 scy

This afternoon a few of my Nasti friends organized a 3 mile "Princess of Peace" fun run on the Monon Trail. The run was an effort to provide community based educational opportunities for young girls in Afghanistan and Pakistan. A teacher can be paid for 1 year with each $600.00 raised. There were probably 100 or so kids and adults out for the run. Most people were in costumes; princesses, prince's, and queens!! Awards were given for the best costumes!
    Considering I have not been out for a a run since October I was happy to feel great and run at a steady 7:20 pace. Afterwards we all gathered at a local brewhouse for snacks and beer! It was a delightfully fun day and always good to help out our fellow man-kind!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. My fake OW swim

I was really looking forward to today, because after weeks of asking / persuading / cajoling / wheedling / begging, I’d finally gotten a couple of teammates to agree to come do an open-water swim with me in the gulf. (The fact that the water temp has risen to the mid-60s helped.) We planned to go out this afternoon. The only potential problem was the jellyfish situation—the cannonball/cabbagehead numbers had been waxing and waning over the past few days. (And yes, for the record, they do sting—I got mildly zapped by one yesterday, but it left no rash). We left it that I would go out and survey the beach this morning and see how things looked.

Well, there were plenty of my jelly buddies out this morning. They seemed to have brought in reinforcements overnight, although I didn’t see any huge ones lolling around in the surf—there were mostly middle-sized ones whose rust-colored centers were visible in the water, and a fair number washed up on shore:

These probably would have been enough to cancel our swim, but there was worse news. There were a fair number of these critters too:

A number of these were still alive and writhing around while I photographed them. Their presence definitely scuttled any OW swim plans for today—I don’t even walk on the wet sand when man-o’-wars are present, much less swim. I emailed my swim buddies and told them we’d have to cancel.

I was disappointed not to get in a last swim in the gulf, and was feeling kind of down. However, since I wanted to get in the water, and didn’t want to drive in to the aquatic center, I ended up going for a short swim in the “lagoon” pool at the condo development here:

I confess that I’ve always rolled my eyes at such pools. My first thought upon seeing them is an outraged “For the same money, they could have build a real pool, with lines on the bottom, and back stroke flags even!” But once I swam a few laps around this one, I started to see the charm of the thing. It turned out to be surprisingly pleasant to float and paddle around amid fake palm trees and waterfalls. Since this pool is unheated, it is around 70 degrees, which is completely comfortable for me but seems to deter anyone else from getting in for more than 5 minutes. So I had the whole thing to myself for as long as I cared to swim, with a hot tub nearby for warming up and stretching after.

I discovered that I could sight on the edges and swim figure-eights around the pool’s two islands, and not have to worry about doing any turns. After a dozen or so of these loops I began to feel like Gus the polar bear, so I just floated and played in the fountains the rest of the time. So while it wasn’t a real open-water swim, it had no turns, it was definitely fun, and there were no nasty stinging critters to worry about. I’m sold!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Lotta Time Doing Nuthin', Saturday, Feb. 26

by , February 26th, 2011 at 10:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

RC work, 15 minutes

Stretching/Yoga, 45 minutes

Hottub, 25 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Today was my off day, so I decided to work on banishing the lactic acid in the legs (which were sore after yesterday's AFAP kick fest). All this incidental cross training to keep/get the body ready is really time consuming. But I felt great after a prolonged stretch.

Had a horrible night's sleep though, so need to try to correct that tonight. Every single person in my house was up early on a Saturday: the teens left at 6:45 for crew practice, Mr. Fort got up at 7:00 for a 22 mile run, Lil Fort was up early as usual, my house guests left early to watch the Syracuse v. Georgetown game. My house was a cacphony! I finally gave up on sleep and arose to have a major bakathon, shocking myself as I thought I had shed all vestiges of domesticity. Nothing to rival Gigi though.

After feeling great from stretching, I've resolved to make March the Month of the Stretch. If I fail to blog that I have stretched, you are allowed to engage in vicious personal attacks, snide remarks and cast all manner of aspersions upon me. You don't even have to use the Jazzy fake smilie.

Ahelee left me a very amusing link on Facebook from the McCaffreyCap. http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...-episodes/9376. I am definitely in need of the "I am Tapering" shirt so that my family might let me stay off my feet. I like the idea of excusable neglect. There is also a funny bit from Eric Knight, who wrote a song about the Mid-College Thread on the college swimming messageboard being shut down. Apparently, discussion was "too passionate." I'm sure we are very tame by comparison!

There was a very nice article in the Washington Post about Jack Conger, PV swimmer extraordinaire, who is actually one of Mini's swim buds. She's off watching him and other swim friends tonight at the Washington Metro swim and dive champs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022406741.html

Updated February 27th, 2011 at 01:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  16. Starts and turns and sprints, all in one morning

This morning I went to the Panama City Masters team scy workout. Here’s how it went:

500 scy s/k/d/k/s by 100s
    200 pull
    6 x 50 (25 kick / 25 drill) @ 1:00, odds FR, evens ST IM order

4 x 50 FL/BK @ 1:00, working transition turn
    100 IM @ 2:00
    4 x 50 BK/BR @ 1:00, working turn
    4 x 50 BR/FR @ 1:00, working turn

200 easy drill/play

5 x thru
    25 sprint K
    :05 rest
    25 sprint K
    :05 rest
    50 sprint swim
    2:30 rest / easy swim

75 easy

20 minutes or so of start work (dive and back starts)

25 sprint from blocks

500 warmdown

It was good to get some pointers on my starts. I worked on going more out than up on both my dive and backstroke start. I finally got the feel of going into one hole on my dive, mostly by getting my head down into a better streamline position before I enter the water—very cool!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011 11:30am @ YMCA

by , February 26th, 2011 at 04:56 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    ***Note: This is a repeat workout that I've done in the past, but it's a good one and I can really keep myself moving, especially when I swim on my own at the YMCA. Feel free to steal it for your own workouts!! I'll post the dropsite for the $5.00 donations later.

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Back
    100 Free

6 x 25 Fly @ :30
    6 x 50 Back/Breast @ :60
    6 x 75 Back/Breast/Free @ 1:20
    6 x 100 IM @ 1:40

4 x 25 Fly @ :25
    4 x 50 Back/Breast @ :55
    4 x 75 Back/Breast/Free @ 1:15
    4 x 100 IM @ 1:30

2 x 25 Fly @ :20
    2 x 50 Back/Breast @ :50
    2 x 75 Back/Breast/Free @ 1:10
    2 x 100 IM @ 1:20

100 EZ
    ----------------
    3500 Yards

Today was unusually busy for the lap swim at the Y. They had 5 lanes setup for laps with 1 lane set up for the .

Each of the lap lanes already had 2 in each splitting the lane, except one, which I jumped into quick. No more than 5 minutes later another 4-5 people came on to the pool deck to swim. I was thinking that this was going to get interesting really quick.

I luckily was swimming with two others who knew how to circle swim, and at least could swim at a decent pace (one was a fellow masters swimmer from another team who was visiting his family in town). I managed to work around/with them for a majority of my set. The other lap lanes were just a disaster as I would occasionally glance over and see people all over the place in their lanes. . I was still laughing on the inside.
  18. Saturday, 2/26/11

by , February 26th, 2011 at 01:10 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    300 swim free & baclk
    100 kick on back
    4 x 100/1:50 pull with P&B

Set #1:
    3 x 400/20sr
    - Did these on 6:15, went 5:50-6:00-6:00

Set #2:
    5 x 100/2:00 ds 3 - 2
    - back, went 1:35->1:30 each time
    6 x 25/45 FAST
    - 2 fly, 2 back, 2 free
    3 x 100/1:50 strong build
    - back, went ±1:30 for all 3
    4 x 25/50 FAST
    - 1 ea stroke, IM order

Set #3: Kicks
    1 x 600 continuous
    - with fins, 200 flutter w/board, 200 dolphin on back, 200 flutter on back, time was under 10:00

Cool down
    150 easy free & back

Total: 3800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 2/26 Team Practice

The focus for today was to keep my stroke long and work on a little bit of pacing. I have really let my stroke fall apart when my body has had enough lately. Plus, I have struggled with pacing my swims.

Pacing will be my focus for awhile.

The last bit of the "broken" 1000 was a little to fast for me today. I did the best I could and am happy with what I did.

The little sets afterward were really designed to get our strokes back to normal and stretch out.

400 FREE
    100 STROKE

100 @ 1:20
    200 @ 2:34
    300 @ 3:45
    400 @ 4:48

5 x 100 @ 2:00 BREATHE 3/5/3/5 BY 25 LONG AND SMOOTH

5 TIMES THROUGH
    50 @ 50 SMOOTH PULL
    50 @ 50 BUILD (PADDLES ONLY)
    50 @ 1:20 ALL OUT (PADDLES ONLY)

8 X 50 @ 60
    WORK ON LONG STROKE WITH SIX BEAT KICK

450 W/D

I WAS GLAD TO HAVE SOME DRILL TYPE SETS AFTER THE FIRST SET. i HAVE A LOT OF POOL WORK TO DO. ONE DAY AT A TIME.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Saturday Workout

by , February 26th, 2011 at 08:54 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    SCY

250 Warm up

3 x 100 Free - 1:20
    1 x 200 down worst stroke/back best stroke

200 Kick
    100 Free
    4 x 50 IM Order - 1:00
    200 Kick
    200 Free
    200 Pull
    300 Free
    200 Pull
    400 Free

4 x 100 IM - 1:45
    200 Free
    4 x 100 Free - 1:30
    200 IM

200 Cool down

(4750 Total)

Made an apheresis donation yesterday at the Red Cross so I was still feeling a bit sluggish. Never could get my fly going. Negative split all the 200+ freestyle sets. Very thankful to have HSA welcome me in on Saturday mornings.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts