View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Friday, 7/29/11

by , July 29th, 2011 at 01:26 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    A whole bunch of fast (kind of) 25's!

SCM

Warm up
    300 Swim - free & back
    200 Skill Drills - 1 arm and fist, free & back

18 x 25 ds 3: 2 x (3/25, 3/30, 3/35)
    - 1st time through free, 2nd time back. Since there was no clock to get time, I made the focus dps. tried to descend each round of 3 while holding 15-16 spl for free and 17-18 for back.

Main Set:
    1 x 300/30sr build
    8 x 25/40 strong
    - did free and again focused on dps like above.

1 x 500 pull w/buoy and freestyler paddles
    - again focusing on dps (14-15 spl).
    Total: 2000 meters

Tomorrow I drive to Lake Tahoe for an open water race on Sunday. It is a 1.2 mile swim at Incline Village. I hope to get there early enough tomorrow afternoon to get in the lake for a short swim and get somewhat accustomed to the cold before Sunday's race.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. IM Day

by , July 29th, 2011 at 01:06 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    So, first things first.... WE WON BOTH GAMES! It didn't even seem to matter that the heat index was approaching 110 degrees; the other team was just as wilted as we were and I personally had a great couple of games - better than I'm used to playing! The first game was 16-10; second was 6-2. Semi-finals.... here we come!

Now, you must realize that a softball doubleheader in that heat makes it pretty clear that my thighs and shoulders were hurting a bit as I got to the pool this morning. Once I got in the water, I realized I was completely worn out. Since it was an IM day, I just decided to leave my fins on the whole time.... so I did. Here's what we did:

200 Warm-Up
    6 x 50 Kick on 1:10, 1>3, 4>6
    4 sets (all w/ fins):
    - 4 x 100 on 2:30 (IM, Free, IM, IM)
    - 4 x 50 on 1:10 (Fly, Back, Breast, Free)
    300 Cool-Down
    Total Meters - 3200

It was actually a pretty good workout, and by the end, I was exhausted - but in a good way. My shoulders were comfortably numb and my thighs had actually loosened up a bit while I swam. YAY!

I had been debating whether to swim with the team tomorrow, but I'm thinking a nice, recovery type of swim early tomorrow morning might be a nice way to start the weekend. Then, it's back-to-school shopping time. E-gads... where did the summer go?

That's it for now.... enjoy your swims today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. FAST FRI Jul 29th 2011 LCM

by , July 29th, 2011 at 12:35 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Jul 29th 2011 LCM

Unofficial 2011 South Central LCM Zones Results

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Chris Coached
    UT, main pool
    6:00 - 7:30 dove in 6:03
    wore blue camo training jammer
    swam with: Mary, beside Chris Ned & Jim

WARM UP
    20 min choice
    6 x 50 on 50
    16 x 50 on 45

Main SET: SCY

20 x 50 fr on 1:30
    odds easy held mostly 32's & 1's
    evens fast

assigned 1000
    did 600ish

8 x 100 fr on 2:30
    odds fast
    evens easy
    went 1:09, 1:06, 1:05, 1:01
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday workout

by , July 29th, 2011 at 09:48 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Easy day. Worked mostly on the dive at the end. I have trouble getting started once I surface. Did much better today and will work on it a bit tomorrow.

LCM

7 x 100 Mixed Free and breast warm up
    200 Pull Easy
    200 Kick
    200 Drill

4 x 50 Build up
    2 x 25 sprint from dive

175 Cool down

(1725m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Uncoordinated

by , July 29th, 2011 at 09:43 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I am so uncoordinated between my stroke and kick on Free.

10x100@2:00 Free
    500 free kick w/fins moderate
    5x100@2:00 Free w/snorkle holding a 6 beat kick this was tough for me
    10x50 from dive 1-6 as 25 sprint/25 easy 7-10 as fast breakout the easy for warm down

Total2500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Checking things off

This morning I went to the early lcm workout with the Asphalt Green masters. It was kind of a solo taper workout even though I was swimming with a teamóI bounced around in different lanes and adapted sets to get in what I needed to do. The advantages to doing this during a team workout are that (1) there is a coach around to get feedback from, (2) this pool has starting blocks Iím allowed to use, and (3) the AG pool is the only lc facility in Manhattan that is sufficiently deep to practice good breakouts after my turns. With 6-8 people in each long course lane, it wasnít too difficult to find space to work stuff in as neededóI think I ended up swimming in all 4 lanes at some point or another though!

Hereís what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 d/w by 25)

On-deck stretching session

200 scull/BR drill

5 x 100 @ 2:15:
    1-2 FR with race-pace breakouts, turn, and finish, rest easy
    3 BK with race-pace breakout, turn, and finish, rest easy
    4 -5 dive from blocks + 20m BR sprint, rest easy except for turns and finish

400 virtual IM (easy swim with occasional pieces of race-pace 4IM)

300 warmdown

Iíve pretty much covered all the items on my list of things I needed to do during my taper to feel confident about my events at nationals:

Ł Get in a couple of workouts where I do some slightly-above-threshold-pace FR swimming [for my 800 FR and the last leg of my 4IM. Iím not trying to improve my conditioning at this point, just refamiliarize myself with what it feels like to swim FR at a pace that leaves me breathy, so Iím not shocked by that sensation at the meet. I already did one session of this last Saturday. These donít have to be long setsó1000 to 1500m should suffice.] 7/22, 7/25

Ł Do some sprint breaststroke [maybe 2 or 3 times over the next few weeks, working on distances of 15m to 45m] 7/22, 7/23, 7/29

Ł Work on maintaining good rhythm on my breaststroke at a variety of paces [this helps my feel for the sprint BR, and also helps keep the 3rd leg of my IMs as efficient as possible. I have a tendency to get to the power phase of my kick before Iím in enough of a streamline position to take full advantage of itóhesitating a split seconds before initiating it makes a world of difference.] 7/20, 7/22, 7/23, 7/26, 7/29

Ł Do a few uninterrupted 400 IMs long course, at relaxed to moderate pace, to remind myself what it feels like swimming that much fly without walls. 7/22, 7/28

Ł Do 1-2 ďvirtualĒ 400 IMs, where I do walls and other select portions at race pace and the rest easy FR, while mentally rehearsing my keys for each part of the race 7/23, 7/29

Ł Do a set of 2-4 hard 200 halfsies (100 FR/ 100 BK) to rehearse and practice my keys for finishing strong on the 200 BK 7/28

Ł Do some starts, forward and backwards, but not too many (maybe 2-3 sessions of 4-6 starts over the next 2 weeks). 7/20, 7/23, 7/29

Ł Aside from the above, not get drawn into other sets that work me hard without some clear purposeóI want to spend a lot of time in the water just playing and having fun, and talking to the water about our upcoming swims together! Every time Iím in the pool!

The only thing Iíve missed is backstroke starts from a block, and if I donít get any in before warm-ups in Auburn I can live with that. At this point Iíll probably be in the water just another time or two before the meet. Those will just be fun wiggle-around-in-the-water sessions, with maybe a full-speed turn or breakout or two. (I leave for Alabama on Monday and will be visiting relatives for a couple of days before the meet, and am not counting on getting in any pool time between then and Wednesday warmups.)

Other things are falling into place for Auburn as well. My niece is a sophomore there, and it turns out that my sister and brother-and-law will be in town that Thursday helping her move in, so Iíll get to visit with the whole family. Hurray! I might also get together with a cousin and her family who live nearby. It also looks like Iíll have some Asphalt Green teammates thereóI hope weíll have enough to swim a mixed relay Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.

I have decided that Iíll probably just swim the 4 individual events Iíve signed up for on Wednesday and Thursday (800 FR, 400 IM, 50 BR, 200 BK). That gives me 3 different strokes plus an IM, and 4 different distances, which is plenty to focus on. It looks like it will be tight to try to swim my events on Friday (100 BR, 200 IM) and make my flight back to NYC from ATL that afternoon. I looked into changing my flight to a later one, but since Iím signed up for the 5K at Coney Island on Saturday morning (7am start time!) I donít really want to push my arrival back any later that evening. Itís probably best to bag the Friday events and keep that day as stress-free as possible (or at least as relaxed as a day involving airports can be), so that Iíll feel energetic and happy about getting up early the next morning and doing a long ow race. Cool that thereís so many fun events happening that weekend, and that Iíll be able to do 2 different national championship events just 4 days apart!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Lazy Thursday

by , July 28th, 2011 at 10:08 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    No swimming today! My shoulders and motivation needed a break from the water!
    The day started with a Hatha Yoga for athletes class. 12 years or so ago I took vinyassa flow at least 2X per week. I love the yoga but my ADHD persona has a rough time staying focused for 1 hour and 45 minutes of yoga-antics. Anyway a Nasti friend's wife built a beautiful yoga studio in her basement and sent out an open invitation to all Nasti's for a free session; I took her up on it! It ended up being a lovely, 60 minute basic hatha class. It felt great to get back into some of the postures and re-visit the world of yoga. I am planning to take a Saturday afternoon class at Joan's studio directly after practice. I hope it works out!
    After the yoga I did my normal dry-land routine I put together this summer: 3:00 minutes fast and continous jumprope, 4 minute Plank routine (1 per side+2 prone), 1 minute wall sitting, 2 minutes bicycle crunches, 26 pass the back weight, 15 push-ups, 25 lunges, and 2-4 minutes of stretch cord rows)
    I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! Indianapolis is getting a Lululemon Store and it opens tomorrow!!! I travel to Chicago at least 2X a year to purchase cool PE Teacher clothes from their stores! Now I can travel less than 8 miles and buy them whenever I want! Yeah Indy!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Thursday, July 28

by , July 28th, 2011 at 05:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

4 x 50 fly drill
    4 x 50 dolphin kick w/board
    4 x 50 back drill
    4 x 50 back kick (25 shooter + 25 EZ)
    4 x 50 breast drill

4 x 25 no breather free

2 x 25 breast

50 EZ

Total: 1800

Stretching, 20-25 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt horrible in the water today. And I fully expected it. I was out late last night, and didn't sleep well (note to self: do not have birthday celebration 1 week before Nats.) I also felt beat up from the chiro appt. At the time, the doc said "you have a whole week to recover."

I reviewed my pre-Alabatross blog entries. At this point in that taper, I was still feeling sloggish in the water. But 2 days later I had full on taper bitchies. I haven't really been jittery so far, but I sense they are coming on strong after being completely irritated at the grocery store today. I'm also sure that, soon, the thought that I have lost all conditioning and can't swim LCM will be constant as it made it's way into my head today. Must resist this thought! http://swimming.about.com/gi/dynamic...2Fwilmore2.htm. Here's Maglischo on tapering: http://www.remo2016.com.br/Fisa-Nive...d%20-%20EM.pdf. Very interesting that he says sprinters should not do much speed work during taper to allow the fast twitch muscles to rest and super adapt.

Here's my new pet peeve: kids who use the bathrooms for changing rooms when I have to go to the loo! Between summer league meets and kids at the rec centers, there is nary a bathroom to be had. The modesty thing is out of control. I wonder when they'll grow out of it?

Updated July 28th, 2011 at 06:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Last taper workout

by , July 28th, 2011 at 04:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Swam on my own

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Yeah! I got the coveted end lane in the deep!

400 warm up
    4 x 25 underwaters
    100 easy kick
    100 easy swim

6 x 50 on 1 min
    25 kick on back/25 swim
    held 43 43 42 42 42 42

50 easy

4 x 25 variables; last one from a dive

easy 100

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++

As usual, I don't pay too much attention to the meterage, just swim what seems right and leave it at that.

I have my creditors' meeting tomorrow, but a relatively light docket. I will be really, really tired, but there is always a handicap, and it's not like it's a surprise.

And geez, that's exactly why I swim only the 50 in LCM!!!!

You gotta fit the events around your life, not your life around your events!

And besides, I already have top ten times in every event from the 50 to 1500, all IMs and every stroke. The only events I don't have top tens in are the 200 breast and 200 back. I have plenty of years left to swim those! And i'm certainly in no rush!

+++++++++++++++++++++
    For your sleepless nights, keep reading. Would you like to see "where I am"?

*At a mininum, 28.49 which is Sectionals cuts; i'd be disappointed if I didn't go at least that fast. Plus i've been under that 5 out of the 6 times I swam it at local meets.

Between 28.0 and 28.39 is also acceptable, I wouldn't be disappointed in the swim, but I would be disappointed I didn't rise to the occasion and I paid $125 for hotel and approx $50 in gas to get a time I could get for essential drive-around-town gas and $3.50 plus my $1.00 team surcharge at any local meet.

27.99 or less is a very strong time. Would be very happy with it. "Breaking the barrier".

27.73 is my recent best (and also a kneeskin time). I really think I can grunt, strain, and make underwater faces while knashing my teeth and clawing my way to the finsh to get to this time, even without training. What I coin, "Pulling a Michelle Chow". You do it on simply the belief that you can, and you do enough of the right things to get to that time.

27.59 - yet another benchmark. It's the AAAA USA cut and would just about be my lifetime best masters time (circa 1994!).

27.29 Not sure why this number sticks out in my mind. But here it is. Maybe the midpoint from the above time and the next one. Read on....

26.99 Probably not, but why not? There is no goal too far out to put yourself out there for. Huh? Did that even make sense? Well, forget processing that sentence. Just focus on the time. If you never think that far, you're less likely to ever reach it.

26.79 2011 Winter Nationals

26.71 My lifetime best (Dec 1986) at a then-1988 Olympic Trials qualifying time. Top 25 Americans list that year. I guess it was a light year if I made the list.

26.59 2011 Summer Nationals

26.39 2012 Olympic Trials

So, there you have it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Thursday, 7/29/11

by , July 28th, 2011 at 04:08 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM
    Was late getting to the pool so didn't get the full workout in. Probably a good thing. Will be doing an open water swim this weekend so a little bit of rest should help.

Warm up
    400 swim - every 4th 50 backstroke
    4 x 50's kick 1st 25 on right side, 2nd 25 on left side
    - my kicking on my side is terribly slow. Was taking 1:15-20 to do these 50's

Set #1
    12 x 50/10 sr: 1) kick 2) 15m kick under 3) drill 4) 20 build to sprint 5) 15m sprint 6) easy
    - did 1-6 free, 7-12 back

Pull
    1 x 100 free/10sr
    2 x 50 stroke/10sr
    - back w/buoy only
    2 x 25 breast or fly pull/10sr
    - breast pull w/buoy

Ran out of time and had to get out

Total: 1450 meters

Went back to the pool after work to get a bit more yardage in since morning swim was short.

Warmup
    300 swim back & free
    200 kick w/board and snorkel. (I use the snorkel for kicking on my belly and sides because I can stay streamlined and it's much easier on my neck and shoulders)
    200 drills - fist and 1-arm, back and free

Main Set
    20 x 25 dps, rest as needed
    - all free, focus was to hold stroke count at 15-16 for the set and swim strong. Didn't have a clock so don't know how fast these were or how much rest I was actually taking.

Cool down
    200 easy mix of all strokes

1400 meters

Total for day: 2850 meters

Updated July 29th, 2011 at 11:29 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/29/11

by , July 28th, 2011 at 01:46 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Taper/Rest Workout; SCY today

SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 250 4:15
    2 X 100 1:45
    6 X 50 1:00

1 X 400
    Broken :15 @ 200
    Fins optional

1 X 100 kick-easy- 2:15
    4 X 50 kick-descend 1-4- 1:15
    1 X 50 easy swim

4 X 100 choice 2:15
    50 perfect stroke/25 fast/25 easy

DISTANCE SWIMMERS:
    10 X 50 1:00
    odd: perfect stroke even: race pace

OTHERS:
    10 X 50 1:15
    odd: perfect stroke
    even: descend 2-4-6-8-10 to fast

RELAY EXCHANGES

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

2750Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Solo taper session

I had a nice solo swim this morning at Riverbank State Park. I hadnít been to this pool in a few weeksóI kind of got fed up with it in late June when it was too hot and hairy several days running. But this morning it was refreshingly cool, and although I saw a few hairballs on the bottom, I managed not to get caught up in any. (Harder than it sounds since the pool is just 4-feet deep everywhere.) My speedy workout mates have also taken a little hiatus from this pool, and in their absence mere mortals seem to have taken over the designated ďvery fastĒ laneóI had to watch out for traffic ahead of me today, whereas usually Iím just worried about staying out of the way of those lapping me.

This is what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 rev. IM d/s by 25)

3 x 200 halfsies (100 fr / 100 bk) @ 3:55, desc. [3:25, 3:10, 2:54]

150 easy

400 IM, relaxed and dreamy

200 warmdown + play

150 scy extra warmdown in outdoor pool + float time [I am ashamed to admit that this was my first time in an outdoor pool this summer! I did a few extra laps at the end of workout just to try it out. It wasnít that niceóthe water was very cloudy, and warmer than indoorsóbut itís always so great to be out under the open sky.]

On the walk back after my swim, there were about 20 sprinklers chugging along in various parts of the park. The morning sun was peeking through the clouds and shining on them. Rainbows everywhere! I walked around a bit to admire them from different angles. Very delightful, and a nice post-swim treat.

Iíve been watching the world championships most nights on tv. I really like Federica Pellegriniís swimsuit. The graphic on it is a stylized phoenix, and the suit was designed especially for her by Mizuno. I havenít seen a version of her legsuit for sale, but there is a tank version with a bigger graphic available in Europe, along with a whole line of phoenix-emblazoned accessories (cap, towel, etc.). At least one of her competition suits doesnít have a keyhole opening in backówonder if that makes it harder to get on. I think there are some other womenís techsuits (Arena?) with that solid back design as wellóI noticed several in the 200fl semis last night.

(I havenít been obsessing over my suits for nationals this go-round, and havenít bought anything new. I think I will stick with my two faves, a Mizuno black leg suit with a pink-and-orange starburst and an Arena grey legsuit with a purple angular graphic, with my aged Speedo flames suit as a backup. Glad thatís settled!)

Also on last nightís swimming broadcast, I was amused by the piece on Ed Mosesís comeback, and enjoyed his studio commentary on the races. Funny how heís so spiffed up in the studio bitsóhe looked a bit like an elongated Neil Patrick Harrisóbut in the footage of him training and racing he just looks like another grizzled masters swimmer, with mottled skin and goggle-indented eye sockets. Swimming is not the most glamorous of sports sometimes.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Not a Bad Day....

by , July 28th, 2011 at 10:46 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Just not able to keep up as much as I would have liked. Although, I did realize the beauty of cutting a 200 down to a 175, so I could get enough rest between sets to actually descend as we were supposed to. Here's what we did:

300 Warm-Up
    4 x 100 Free on 1:45, 1>4

4 x 175 Free on 3:30, 1>4
    6 x 100 Free on 1:45, 1>3, 4>6

4 x 200 Kick on 3:30
    4 x 100 Pull on 1:45
    100 Cool-Down
    Total Meters - 3300

On the first set of 100 Free's, I was coming into the wall about 1:40, so I just concentrated on holding that pace instead of descending. I switched that up on the next set. They were supposed to be 200s. I swam 175s instead, so I could actually try to descend them. Success! The third set of 100 Free's, I put on my fins and descended them. Since my shoulder was feeling a bit raw by that point, I did the next set, which was supposed to be a pull set, as a kick set. I did descend those too. On the final set of 100 Pull's, I felt really good and was able to descend those without doing a touch and go. Pretty pleased with the way the workout ended.

Tomorrow I think is an IM day, but I have softball doubleheader potentially tonight. We are to the single elimination part of the tournament, so if we lose the first game, we are done. If we win, we play a doubleheader. Of course, the temperature is supposed to reach 97 degrees today. Ugh... already drinking as much water as I can stand!

Enjoy your swims today and I'll let you know how we did tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Thu Jul 28th 2011 LCM

by , July 28th, 2011 at 10:20 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Jul 28th 2011 LCM

Worked out Tue LCM & Wed scy at noon

Unofficial 2011 South Central LCM Zones Results

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Chris Coached
    UT, main pool
    6:00 - 7:30 dove in 6:01
    wore blue camo training jammer
    swam with: Chris beside Ned Marcio Larry & Jim

WARM UP
    1200 (4 rounds of 100 fr 50 k 100 IM 50 k)

Main SET: SCY

6 x 150 on 2:15 done 100 fr 25 fl 25 bk

400 fr

6 x 150 on 2:20 done 100 fr 25 bk 25 br

400 fr

6 x 150 on 2:30 done 100 fr 25 br 25 fr

400 fr
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Thursday Workout

by , July 28th, 2011 at 10:13 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Tried out the new Yingfa which I really like. Good compression but doesn't cut any circulation. Kind of weird the way water beads off of it in the shower. Is it faster? Hard to tell. My seed time for Nationals is 3:05 based on my converted pb from Auburn in Feb. On the broken 200 today, my timer said I was taking 11 seconds instead of 10 at each wall so I'm maybe looking at 2:59. I've put a lot of time and effort into improving my breast stroke so it's hard to say it is all the suit. I'm sure it doesn't hurt though.

LCM

600 Warm up

8 x 25 - :40 Easy/Hard
    4 x 25 Kick - :50 Easy/Hard
    8 x 25 - :40 Easy/Hard

200 Br broken - :10 rest at each 50 (3:32)

100 Cool down

(1400m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. In the taper stage

by , July 28th, 2011 at 09:28 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    In the taper stage - but not wanting to cut back on distance

500 back/free
    5 x 100 pull no paddles on 1:40
    500 pull w/paddles w/Tempo Trainer
    5 x 100 kick no fins on 2:30 (nice change from the stupid 2:15 Terry makes us go on!!)
    100 easy
    200 breast going for DPS
    4 x 50 breast on 1:10 hard
    200 IM w/fins going for DPS
    4 x 50 IM order on 1:00 (w/fins) hard
    200 free going for DPS
    4 x 50 on :50 hard
    (and I was supposed to repeat this set, but it looked like I was running out of time)
    100 breast going for DPS w/fins
    2 x 50 breast on 1:10 hard
    200 free pull w/paddles going for DPS
    4 x 50 free on :50 hard
    100 easy
    Total: 4000LCM

Commentary: feeling like crap on my breast today & my elbow is hurting again - right before Nationals!! Wouldn't you know it!! After Sunday, if I swim Sunday, I will go w/out paddles for the last few days before Nationals. Also, I am going to repeat the PRP in that elbow, and get it in my right elbow too right after Nat's & right before vacation - two weeks off swimming plus PRP ought to fix it for good, I figure!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Tired to do a pace set and yuck

by , July 28th, 2011 at 07:26 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    No energy what so ever. My 5x100 on 2 were horrid could not even hold pace which should be 1:30ish, was more like 1:34 with rest. I am worried about the 1500 at Nationals this might be a long bad swim.

1000 Free as 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1
    500 Free kick every 3rd 25 fast w/fins
    5x100@2:00 Free w/bouy held 1:34's
    Work on Starts with Jackie and Walt

Total 2100 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wednesday

by , July 27th, 2011 at 05:04 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Today was a solo swim at the Monon Center. I made this one up as I went along.

**400 Freestyle wu
    **200 Kick / 200 IM / 200 Pull / 200 Drills--on 4:00 interval
    **200 Free @ 4:00 interval
    4 X 50 Free @ :45
    **200 Freestyle @ 3:45 interval
    4 X 50 @ :50 interval
    **200 Freestyle @ 3:30 interval
    4 X 50 Free @ :55 interval
    **200 Freestyle @ 3:15 interval
    4 X 50 @ 1:00 interval
    **200 Free easy
    **8 X 50 flutter kick @ 1:00 w/short fins
    **easy 200 Pull
    **200 IM

Yikes! I am very sore from yesterday's TRX! I thought I was too old to get sore! I'm happy there's enough muscle mass in here to hurt!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wed., July 27

by , July 27th, 2011 at 04:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART, 30 minutes

No swim today. Too busy. The swim team had a "splashathon" to raise money for a local charity, and helping with that killed my morning. Appointments and errands in the am, including to see my beloved chiro.

He says I have a RC strain. Grr. It really pisses me off -- I try to be so careful with my shoulders. I can't think of anything that caused it apart from the deep tissue, although possibly that exacerbated a previous undetected twang. And it's in an area I've never had problems with before. Anyway, he worked it over and I am now clad in pink kinesio tape. One more week for it to heal. Will be using my nifty activewrap to ice the shoulder.

Happily, I am having a belated birthday dinner with my BFF tonight. However, I am now stumped over what to wear with the neon tape ...

Updated July 27th, 2011 at 05:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    ART
  20. Final stretch into Sectionals

by , July 27th, 2011 at 03:42 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Tough to swim on a full stomach! I ate lunch just before going, so whew it was tough to breath. And yours truly kept feeling that urge. heh heh.

SCM at Baylor on my own

But not before...I said Howdy-do's to everyone getting out of the noon workout.

Bonus! Jennifer Brooks swam at noon today; she's here for the summer doing her law school internship. I was nearly slobbering when I saw her and then learned she is hoping for a full time offer and wants to move back to Dallas and live in Lakewood, which is my neighborhood! I hope it all works out. I see my future training partner!!!! Well, one can hope.

And then back to being all-alone:

200 easy swim
    200 kick with fins
    200 easy swim
    8 x 25 underwaters
    200 easy swim with fins

100 on 1:30 (about 1:19)
    75 on 1:30 (about 59)
    50 on 1:30 (about 36)
    25 (16ish)
    easy 50

rest up a bit. ruminated about taking a bathroom break, but decided it would take too much effort to walk all the way over there..

100 on 1:30 (about 1:13)
    75 on 1:30 (about 56)
    50 on 1:30 (about 35)
    25 (15ish)
    easy 50

200 easy

Rush for the ladies room!

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Switching gears and goin' over to Facebook to friend Jen!

Not sure if I will swim tomorrow. Depends on if I want to take a shower or not.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Here's a link to the lame-o internet live stream of finals for Sectionals. For your sleepless nights, watch Tuesday's 800 finals. I think it's nearly 2 1/2 hours of misery. The only excitement was at the beginning when my USA coach walked in front of the camera. Downhill after that.

Real Time results, too. Could never find pysche sheets.

http://www.gulfswimming.org/meet_inf...0streaming.pdf
    Categories
    Uncategorized