View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. First 6000-yard swim of the year...

by , January 15th, 2012 at 03:27 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    GTD is telling me I'm back in the top ten for men 40-44 this morning, thanks to the 6000-yard continuous swim I did yesterday. It was my first 6000 since early November. But, there's always a price to pay! The first 4000 felt pretty good (a little under 72 minutes), but the final 1000 was really rough (I had to mix in 300 yards worth of breaststroke over the course of the last K just to keep moving). Finished the entire swim in 1:51:?0.

The left shoulder started off pretty stiff, but loosened up over the course of the swim. In the last 1000-1500 everything was stiff.

Drank some "Joint Juice" last night and I woke up this morning actually feeling pretty good (tired and tight, but that's to be expected). I'll do a short recovery swim today to try to loosen up.

For now, I'm sitting in a sunny window and enjoying the sunlight for the first time in a few days; ok, we've had snow now, I'm ready for spring.
  2. Terrible swim at AGP! 28.58

by , January 15th, 2012 at 01:27 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think that was my time. What a shocker!!!

Well, I am sorry to report that it was a jaw dropping I-am-utterly-flabbergasted-I-swam-that-slow-time!

I simply overswam and paid dearly on the back half! This is the issue I have been having with "spinning my wheels" and not setting up and grabbing water. Then you are stuck. Just stuck with that rhythym. I think it was even more magnified because I was so excited at the start. For once, I felt really good and simply tried to hard. I was over 1/2 body length ahead of the girl next to me at the 25, but it was over there. I barely touched her out at the end. Anyway, I was completely frozen at the end!

The SMU coach and Martina said I looked really bad the whole way on all fronts - I struggled and fought the water, was really low, gimpy left arm, and spinning too fast and not holding water, thus totally tight at the end. They suggested I slow it down and i'd go faster.

So, I am going to use this as a big wake up call that my Spinning Out problem hasn't been un-imprinted, and that perhaps more magnified when I get excited and not just a mild problem, which it seems to be at the ho-hum local meets. The next data-point meet will be SCY in 3 weeks, a local USA meet at a decent pool. I am going to work on really slowing down the rhythym, holding the water (and thus not spinning and hopefully not sinking/low in the water), and seeing if that translates to faster speed in the critical back end.

I would not say it was a waste of time, simply very disappointing since I know I am capable of going faster (and recall I went 28.3 and 28.1 in workout when I wasn't trying as hard!!). Two huge techical errors - the spinning wheels and then the simply unacceptable 28.5! So, a good wake up call to work on slowing it down.

Next week: easy swims.
    Weeks 2 and 3: start weights/drylands again and back to the 2 per week sprint workouts
    Third weekend - another 50 free, SCY.

I got to try a new Speedo full-back suit! They measured me at 24L but I found it too tight to get on, so I got a new 25L and that was the size I would get.

It is much thicker material and feels like polyester. The bottom is about the same to get on; nothing new about that. The middle is not very compressing, not even like the current kneeskin racerbacks. And drumroll.....the strap part! YOu really do need 2 people to get it on. It simply cannot be done by yourself. And you are really scraping your head/hair to get it over. But, once you do, the top part of the suit isn't very tight at all. But it doesn't catch water, either, which you would think it might.

I was skeptical of the color, thinking only a black suit will make you look slender. But surprisingly, I looked as slim in this as the al black kneeskins. The entire bottom/butt area material feels really thick.

In the water: Again, it doesn't catch water. It does seem to have extra compression and "push" in the legs - something that the other kneeskins don't have. They are just thin material. But the turns are REALLY annoying. It's very distracting and hard to turn all that material. I don't feel more or less bouyant overall, and I don't feel any significant benefit from the full back element. There is not much waist/core compression other than below the waist.

Bottom Line: I am glad I did not order this suit. I am not sure I want to buy it. It has nice legs, but they are thick, hard to turn, and feel like scratchy polyester. Without a huge WOW factor for the full back, the entire strap-over-the-head ordeal - i'm not sure it is worth it. I may try to the racerback that came back to Dallas with one of the coaches.......

I saw lots of famous swimmers in person! That was mildly interesting but I was taking notes for chowsh who is wowed by who I stood by, chit chatted with, and the like. But mostly, everyone was either bigger or smaller than they looked like on tv.

Nathan Adrian
    Matt Grevers

Natalie Coughlin
    Dana Vollmer
    Ryan Lochte.

or at least, they seemed bigger or smaller based on my preconceptions.

3. January 14, 2012

Warm-up (1000)
    200 swim, 200 kick, 100 drill
    5 x 100 @ 2:00 25 left arm, 25 right arm, 25 scull + flutter kick, 25 swim

Kick Set (1000 set/ 2000 total)
    9 x 100 @ 1:40, kick w/fins, dolphin, flutter, back by 100

100 easy

Main Set - broken mile (1750 set/ 3750 total)
    2 x 300 @ 4:40 (4:02, 4:01)
    2 x 200 @ 3:20 (2:38, 2:37)
    3 x 150 @ 2:20 (1:58, 1:57)
    2 x 100 @ 1:40 (1:16, CRAMPS)

100 easy

Wrap-up (750 set / 4500 total)
    3 x 50 catch-up drill
    3 x 100 smooth free @ 1:45, no breathing in or out of turns
    200 pull
    4 x 25 no breather

*4500 total*

I was tired all day after yesterday's workout so I thought I would write an easier workout for today - thus the 1:40 interval for the main set. I planned to stretch out and relax, but I felt surprisingly good and Susan was relentless (as always) so it ended up being a fast set for me. I had minor of cramps in my feet and calves from the first 300, but I managed to keep them away until the last 100 when I finally had to stop and massage my calf. Crap.

Updated January 18th, 2012 at 01:00 PM by eric.carlson

Swim Workouts
  4. Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:00pm That Guy and ME

by , January 14th, 2012 at 09:28 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I traveled over to Redmond this afternoon to meet up with That Guy for a little workout. All was doing good until the 25 yard point, when we both almost ended each other's career. Apparently we were going to SPLIT THE LANE, but I didn't realize that and went right down the lane behind That Guy. The pool was a little cloudy, and at the last minute I jumped upward and away to miss the "head to head" impact, but we still crashed pretty good. "We usually split the lanes here" was the comment from That Guy. Oops...
    (T.G.'s stuff in BLUE)

200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill
    100 Kick w/ board (TG 800 IM K/Dr/Dr/S or something)

8 x 150 100 Free/50 Fly @ 2:15 (went 1:41-1:44s) (TG 8 x 150 Back)

100 EZ (100 EZ)

10 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:46-:50s) (TG 10 x 50 Fly)

100 EZ (100 EZ)

10 x 50 Free Pull @ :35 (:31-:34s) last 3 were touch and go
    then about :10 rest to join up with T.G. on the last 8 of his 20
    8 x 25 Fly @ :30 (20 x 25s Fly)

200 EZ (400+ EZ)
    3600 Yards

T.G. and I did the same sets (for the most part), with different strokes/swims within each set. Example: 150s he did all backstroke, and yes he ACTUALLY does do the 10+ SDKs off the walls that we all doubted he was doing. Maybe it was all an act for me, I don't know. I just thought it was weird to be on my 3rd or 4th breath of freestyle and look over and he was still SDKing. Tough stuff for sure. 5 bonus points for T.G.

More info on my son:

He had his EEG test done this morning at Children's Hospital here in Seattle, and while asleep in the test had two seizures occur (this was a good thing). These were the first seizures they've ever captured on the EEG out of the 4-5 that he's had done in his lifetime. This gave the child neurologists the chance to finally look at what is happening with my son's brain activity during a seizure, rather than just guessing. They have now pinpointed the location and type of seizures, and can now get the proper medication to control them, and hopefully stop them from happening. This makes us very very happy now. Finally some good news, and something more concrete than just a simple "I don't know", or "maybe". We're still going to have a few more seizures to be expected in the near future until the new meds are able to start working like they should, but at least we're hopefully on the downhill slope of this long and draining battle. We'll still be at Children's Hosp. for a couple more days, monitoring the situation, but at least we know he's in good hands.
  5. Morrison Springs

Today I swam at the PCB aquatic center with Hannah and Janet. As we drove up we noticed that the pool was set up lcm—hurray, a bonus long course day! (Usually it’s scy all weekend.) We had a short workout planned so that we would have enough energy for a post-workout adventure. Here’s what we did:

800 lcm warmup (400s, 100k, 200p, 100k)

4 x 50 d/s IM order

400 FR swim, last 100 fast

2 x 300 (100 fr + 100 bk + 100 fr)

3 x 200 FR, 6-beat kick on last 50

100 easy

3 x 100 FR fast @ 3:00 [1:26, 1:22, 1:20]

400 warmdown

I split a lane with Hannah, and we paced each other on all the FR parts of the workout, which was fun.

After our pool workout we drove an hour north to Morrison Spring in Ponce de Leon, FL. I had heard about this as a good place to swim, with a constant year-round temp of 68 degrees, so I decided to try it out while my visitors were in town. Besides the spring pool, there is an underwater cave there that attracts scuba divers—there were several dozen there when we arrived, most part of classes. There were no other swimmers. We ate a picnic lunch and lazed around in the sun a bit before trying out the water. It was lovely, cool and quite clear, with lots of fish and vegetation to look at on the bottom, and cypress trees surrounding the swimming area.

Two divers entering the springs

The bottom of the spring is the same white sand as the beaches here--not mucky at all.

You could swim downriver a ways from the springs—Hannah and Janet were braver than me and swam further after I turned back, and they reported some cabbage-like vegetation as the river grew shallower. We explored for about 20-30 minutes in the water before climbing out. On my way back upriver I saw a large turtle swimming below me. It’s definitely a place I want to return to!
  6. The meet could have been better

by , January 14th, 2012 at 07:18 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Considering I had to move my entire office Friday, today my back was so bad I had to take Ibuprophen and spend time on the tens unit just to be able to swim.
    The 100 free I tried to be more agressive and not breath every stroke. I went out great for the first 50 and DIED. The 200 back and 500 free were where I expected them to be.

Total 2400 yards
  7. Friday, 1/13/12

by , January 14th, 2012 at 11:15 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with swim buddy

Warm up (800)
    500 swim choice alt free & back
    4 x 75/1:15 ds4

Set #1: (400)
    8 x 25/30 "Feel good" strong
    8 x 25/1:00 Sprint Odds w/turn, evens fast finish

Set #2 (1400)
    1 x 400 w/fins/15sr moderate consistent effort with long streamline dolphin kick off walls
    1 x 200 w/bouy - build
    4 x 100 swim w/fins Alternated free & back
    8 x 50 swim/10sr ds4 build to strong - all free

Set # 3 (300)
    5 - 10 min kick (25 dolphin - 25 flutter)
    - did 200 w/board and snorkel, then 100 on back

Total: 2900 yards
  8. Sat with the team

Large group this morning. I almost slept through my alarm which is odd because I am a morning person.

10 min choice

6 x 75 descend 1-3,4-6
    --1-3 went back @ 50
    --4-6 went breast @ 60

8 x 75 with buoy r/5
    --odds free
    --evens 25 fly/50 back

4 x 500 broken
    --200 with bouy r/10
    --150 swim build r/10
    --100 sprint r/10
    --50 EZ r/10 and repeat

15 min. of turn work

3 x 50 off the blocks
    --25 sprint/25 cruise

100 w/d and hot tub

I put forth a good effort but wasn't extremely fast. I'll take it. It has been a long week.
  9. 01.14.12 - Saturday workout

by , January 14th, 2012 at 09:20 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at the Huntsville Nat with Dave, Dave, Dave, Bob, Bob, Sally and a couple others. Pool temp ~82. Wore a drag suit over my Nike jammer for most of the workout. Donating blood yesterday had me a little weak today. Had some good swims but I couldn't keep it up through the whole workout like I usually can.

500 Warm up
    300 Kick w/ fins
    100 Free

300 Pull (3:20)
    500 (100 Fly/100 Free/100 Back/ 100 Free/ 100 Breast)

4 x 100 Kick
    200 Free
    4 x 100 - 1:50 (25 Fly/25 Bk x 2)
    200 Free
    4 x 50 Free - :50 Fast (32s)

4 x 100 Pull - 1:30 Breate Right down, Left back
    200 IM (Dropped drag suit)
    4 x 100 - 1:50 (25 Br/25 fr x 2)
    200 IM
    4 x 50 IM Order

500 Cool down

(5000 Total)
    Swim Workouts
  10. 12 Days of, 19 Days After

Today I finally did the 12 Days of Christmas workout that I wrote in early December. A couple of friends from NYC are visiting me here, and we headed over to the pool midday. It was about 40 degrees when we set out, but clear and very sunny, and the pool felt delightful. Nice to have swim buddies again!

Here’s what I did:

700 warmup

Twelve Days of Christmas Workout

300 warmdown

One of my workout partners was swim tourist extraordinaire Hannah, who has started her own blog about her 40-pools-in-2012 project. Today was pool number 4 for her, so she’s off to a good start!

Before our workout we went stopped by one of the local attractions here—the Museum of Man in the Sea. I pass it every time I drive to the pool—it’s a shed surrounded by various bathyspheres and submersibles and subs and such—and I’ve always been curious. It’s mostly a museum about diving technologies.

The exhibits on the early history of diving weren’t that impressive—they were basically dioramas featuring lots of Ken dolls—but once we got to the late nineteenth- and twentieth-century artifacts it got more interesting. There was an impressive array of diving helmets through the ages,

various diving suits and rebreathers, and submarines—lots of submarines! And Sealab!

A lot of the underwater contraptions came via the local Navy Special Systems Center in Panama City. My faves were the tiny submarines and swimmer transport vehicles, although actually being in them didn’t look like much fun. This contraption can put divers under in a pressurized environment before they actually descend—kind of a human pressure cooker:

There was also a cool board of knots:

Being a man in the sea apparently requires lots of knots.

As for our own women-in-the-sea experiences, those will have to wait a day or two. Yesterday afternoon the beach was littered with man-o-wars—many of them no bigger than a fingernail, but some larger ones too. The unusually strong winds the previous couple of days must have blown them inland. I usually wait a day or two until after they disappear from the beach before venturing in again, so a swim in the gulf will have to wait. But there’s still hope for some ow swimming tomorrow—we’re travelling up to check out a spring-fed swimming locale. I’ll report back once we’ve been!
  11. Winter returns to WI

by , January 13th, 2012 at 07:09 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Nothing like shoveling a few inches of snow--the wet, heavy kind--to loosen up the ol' back and shoulders! [*Sarcasm Alert*]

Winter returned to Wisconsin yesterday and, man, it doesn't take much to keep the folks away from the gym. The Kenosha Y seemed nearly deserted yesterday. I was, for almost an hour, the only person in the 8-lane pool. "Hello, hello, helloooo... echo, echo, echooo." Of course, it was the last hour of the day and the pace clock was broken. I decided just to alternate gliding 100s with easy swim 100s and finished 3150 yards in about 55 minutes. I was happy to get there at all; the roads were awfully slippery with new snow and ice.

Today the roads were better and I had to go in for an early afternoon swim before my son's basketball practice. Just 2000 yards easy swimming (35:50--pace clock working again!). So, a couple of recovery days; tomorrow I'd like to get in a 6000-yard continuous swim.

I'm a little concerned that my left shoulder is achy today... yesterday it was not as bad (feeling like I expect it should after three 3000-4000-yard days in a row). I thought an easy swim today might give it enough rest, but I have a feeling it's the accumulation of swimming over the week + the snow-shoveling today; basketball with the sixth-graders doesn't help. I'm going to see how it holds up tomorrow in the first couple of thousand. I hit 20 miles for the year today and was still in GTD top-ten for Men 40-44 (barely!).

Updated January 13th, 2012 at 08:52 PM by mcnair

12. Back Half Set, Jan. 13

by , January 13th, 2012 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Warm up/Transition:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    10 x 25 shooters
    3 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:15
    50 EZ

Back Half Lactate Set:

6 x broken 125s w/fins @ 5:00

6 x through:
    50 @ :45 @ 80-85%
    50 @ :45 @ 90%
    25 @ 100 %
    125 EZ

1 = breast, 32/31/14
    2 = breast, 29/30/14
    (whoops, thought I took it took easy on #1 and ended up out way too fast on the first 50 of #2.)
    3 = free, 26/25/11
    4 = fly, 27 high, 26, 11
    5 = 100 IM + 25 flutter kick w/board, 27 high, 28, 11
    6 = 100 IM + 25 flutter kick w/board, 27 low, 29, 12

200 EZ

Total: 3000

I wasn't sure I had a lactate set in me today, but I decided to give it a go after warm up. I was tired after yesterday's uncharacteristically hard speed workout with almost 1200 AFAP or hard efforts. And my calves were tight and crampy despite some foam rolling last night. But I survived and put in a good effort. I believe I've seen Jim Rude post this set. So happy that I have a monthly massage tomorrow! Hoping to watch some of the Grand Prix on line. But have a HS swim meet that will conflict.

I just dropped Mr. Fort and Lil Fort at the airport for their annual ski trip. I foresee some sleep and lazing about. I may try out Down Dog this weekend too:

Updated January 13th, 2012 at 06:00 PM by The Fortress

Swim Workouts
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -01/16/12

by , January 13th, 2012 at 02:33 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    WARM UP:
    1 X 250 4:45 4:15
    1 X 150 2:45 2:30
    3 X 100 2:00 1:45
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

3 X 100 kick 2:30
    6 X 50 kick 1:15
    1 X 100 swim -

6 X 50 1:15
    1 X 100 stroke 2:00
    1 X 100 easy 2:30
    Three rounds.
    50's: 2 each/fly, back, breast.
    100 stroke: round 1 fly, 2 back, 3 breast
    100 easy is freestyle

12 X 100 free
    Alternate 1:50 1:40 1:30

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

Swim Workouts
  14. January 13, 2012

Warm-up (1200)
    2 x [ 300 free, 200 kick, 100 drill ]

Kick Set #1 (800 set/ 2000 total)
    8 x 100 @ 1:40, kick w/fins, odd dolphin, even flutter

Main Set #1 (1800 set/ 3800 total)
    Broken 1650 “Davis Mile”
    • 11 laps @ rest 20
    • 10 laps @ rest 20
    • 9 laps @ rest 20
    • 8 laps @ rest 15
    • 7 laps @ rest 15
    • 6 laps @ rest 15
    • 5 laps @ rest 15
    • 4 laps @ rest 10
    • 3 laps @ rest 10
    • 2 laps @ rest 10
    • 1 lap

150 easy

Main Set #2 (600 set/ 4400 total)
    2 x
    • 1 x 25 @ :30 fly
    • 1 x 50 @ :50 back
    • 1 x 75 @ 1:25 breast
    • 1 x 100 @ 1:30 free
    • 50 easy

Wrap-up (300 set / 4700 total)
    4x50 @ 1:00 hypoxic (breaths per 25: #1 0+0, #2 1+1, #3 0+1, #4 0+1)
    100 easy

*4700 total*

Felt much better in the water than I did on Wednesday, made it through the whole workout without having to stop for leg cramps. Had a few twinges during the 1650 but managed to get rid of them by flexing my ankle and calf while swimming. Had one bad one during the first 50 back, but it was near the end and I was able to stretch it out before the 75 breast.

Updated January 13th, 2012 at 06:00 PM by eric.carlson (fixed formatting)

15. 01.13.12 - Friday workout

by , January 13th, 2012 at 12:24 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Today was my apheresis donation day. They tell me they are just removing plasma, platelets and other white blood cell related stuff. In return, I get saline (or tap water... who knows?) mixed with my red blood cells injected back into my veins. Rumor has it the milky white substance they extract from me goes for about $1000/bag on the medical market. I'm glad someone can make some money off of me. My nurse today, Sandy, has a badge number of 666. Apparently, it is not a joke. The Red Cross actually issued her that number. She always says "I'm sorrry" after sticking you. She's not sorry... she meant to stick something sharp in my arm! Besides, her badge number is 666. Deep down I know she enjoys seeing my face wince in pain. Sandy is a really nice person despite her badge number... as are all the nurses they employ. It would be hard for them to keep people coming back if they weren't.

Prior to my fun at the Red Cross this morning, I worked out with Dave, Dave and Roger. Pool temp was 85.5. At least they weren't dumping hot water into the pool anymore... it was just luke-warm. Wore a drag suit for everything but the timed 400 IM.

450 Warm up

400 Free - 6:00 (5:05)
    300 - 5:15 (50 Kick/50 Swim x 3)
    200 IM - 3:15 (100 IM/100 Free)
    100 Fly - 1:30 (1:25 Made it... with a drag suit!)
    100 Free - 1:30
    200 IM - 3:15 (100 IM/100 Free)
    300 - 5:15 (50 Kick/50 Swim x 3)
    400 IM Timed (5:28 - very close to my meet time)
    100 Easy

4 x 50 - :45 IM Order
    4 x 50 Kick - 1:00
    4 x 50 Kick - 1:00
    100 Easy

25 Pull
    3 Times through
    * 4 x 50 Pull - :45 Easy/Hard
    * 200 Medley Relay - 3:00
    Practiced some relay stuff today. This was good because my timing was way off and my dives were fairly poor on the first two . Third one was much better. Also allowed us to cool off a bit.

125 Cool down

(4550 Total)
    Swim Workouts
  16. Fort on Friday 1/13/12

by , January 13th, 2012 at 11:14 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    300 choice

5 x 100 @ 2:00
    25 left arm, 25 right arm, 25 scull, 25 swim

Main Sets:

5 x (4 x 25) shooters w/fins or MF @ :35-:40
    1-5 = on back
    6-10 = on belly
    11-15 = 2 left side, 3 right side
    16-20 = 360 shooter
    I was confused by this but I did the shooters as 5 x (4x25) 1 Back, 2 Front, 3 Right, 4 Left, 5 360.

8 x 25 streamline glide drill, no fins @ :45

8 x 25 long breaststroke pullouts, then cruise to wall @ :45
    50 EZ

2 x through:

3 x 100 smooth free, no breathing in or out of turns @ 1:45
    4 x 25 scull + 25 kick
    4 x 50 stroke drill
    8 x 25 no breath DPS free @ :40

100 EZ

Total: 3650

I only made it 3450 but perhaps I misread the workout.
  17. Friday, January 13, 2012 5:30am

by , January 13th, 2012 at 10:44 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I got to the pool early, but today I just wasn't feeling too ambitious to get myself moving. Everyone was asking about my son and what new stuff was happening. He'll be leaving the hospital here via ambulance this morning around 10:00am headed to Seattle Children's Hospital, where hopefully they can get to the bottom of this whole seizure disorder. He had 3 small "wake-up" seizures last night, which were nothing more than a jerking awake suddenly for a couple seconds, then a brief moment of crying, and that was it...back to sleep. They were about 2 hours apart, but something is still happening.

As for swimming, I had the plan of doing part/most of PWBs "Bit O' Speed" workout from his weeks workout listing, but after I got into it, I just couldn't get myself going again. Probably a lot of stuff going on at the moment in my head.

200 Free
    100 Kick w/ Board
    100 Scull w/ paddle/buoy (this is because I was talking with person in the next lane over about my son rather than doing the normal pull part of my w/up.
    200 Free Pull

PWB set: (My "Base" is 1:15/100)
    3 x 200 Free Fast @ (Base - :05) 2:20 (went 2:09/2:13/2:14)
    2 x 175 Free Pull EZ @ 2:40 (added :20 to above interval)
    1 x 150 Free @ (Base - :05) 1:45 (went 1:43)
    The set was supposed to have 4 of these 150s, and continue with more fun pain, but I wasn't feeling it, and decided to "pull the plug". PWB did say we could "modify as necessary".

10 x 50 Kick w/ board EZ @ 1:00

w/ others in lane now (prior was solo)

200 Free stretch out

3 x 200 Free Pull @ :30 rest from last person (easy/med/all-out)
    went 2:35/2:22/1:59 - had to do some interesting acrobatics during the last 200 to get around some lap traffic.

No cool down.

3000 Yards

On Saturday maybe I'll get a chance to swim with That Guy, provided I get a chance to break away from the hospital scene for a little bit. I'll try to teach him how to do some shorter rest fly sets for better 200 Fly training!!
  18. Friday the 13th! (of Jan 2012)

by , January 13th, 2012 at 07:54 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    So today must be the truly unlucky day. My elbows are killing me. Luckily, I have 5 enforced days of rest while we drive up to Tenn/Kentucky this weekend.
    How can I go 100's on the 1:30 holding close to 1:20 7 days ago, and today my fastest was 1:23 on the 1:40 interval? Being old sucks. I want my young, healthy, pain free body back!!!

500 back/free
    500 pull speed play by 50's
    400 kick, 75 fast 25 easy
    3 x 200 stroke/free w/30 sec rest between each
    50 easy
    9 x 100 on 1:40, descending in groups of three AND trying to negative split
    100 easy
    4 x 4 cycle speed play 25's
    3 times thru: 200 pull (no paddles) 100 swim, 100 kick
    100 cool down
    Total: 4350 LCM
  19. Thurs Jan 12, 2012

by , January 13th, 2012 at 07:50 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    I remember when I was a kid, Thursday the 12th was considered "Bad Luck" (as compared to Friday the 13th?) But didn't seem like such a bad day today!

900 (100 free, 25 back, 25 breast, repeat)
    800 (4 x 200, alt IM twitch & free)
    700 (alt 75 swim & 75 kick)
    600 (6 x 100 @ 1:20 pull)
    500 (every 4th off stroke)
    400 ( 8 x 50 @ :45)
    300 (12 x 25 fly on :30 w/zoomers)
    200 breast/free by 50's
    100 IM no fly
    Total: 4500

Annie came & joined me this morning until the 600, and then she had to go - I was glad for the company, as I was at Meyers Park (no ATAC AM practices on T&Th until June, now) basically by myself. I enjoy swimming over there in the early mornings when I'm "alone" - JoAnne M is often there, the lights are all on, so it doesn't seem like the middle of the night, and the one lifeguard, Jackie, is very friendly and cheerful. Also the water is the perfect temp - a little cool when you first jump in, but then perfect for working out and working hard without getting too hot.
    Happy that I am "on pace" for part of my goals for the week. Goal one: 6 x 100 @ 1:20 holding under 1:10 (did NOT do this, did an 08, 12, 15, 15, 15, 15) and 12 x 25 fly - actually did this quite well, and felt strong the whole way through - I took an extra 30 sec rest after 6 (because I could, silly!) and I almost just did a 100 warm down and got out, cause I was well after 7am at that point, but I remembered that it never takes me as long to get ready for work as I plan for, and after all, how long would another 200 take, anyways? So I did the whole thing. Would've been better if I could've started at 5:30 and done another 1000 or so, but I'm sure Terry will have us get that much in tomorrow morning! And then after morning workout, it's off to Clarksville, TN to see Eric!

Updated January 21st, 2012 at 04:12 PM by Celestial

20. Easy premeet day

by , January 13th, 2012 at 07:13 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    After a very frustrating day at work and yes I actually let out a chilling scream in the afternoon. I hate when people don't listen, but amazingly after that release the idiots started listening.

500 free
    500 free kick w/fins every 3rd fast
    8x25@:45 shooters with fins
    5x100@2:00 fly w/fins 25 rt arm/25 lt arm/25 kick/25 swim
    8x25@:45 kick w/snorkle build
    100 EZ
    6x50 from dive 20 yrd sprint

Total 2500 yards