View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sunday, Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2011 at 07:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50 fly drills

8 x 25 shooters
    4 back, 4 belly
    50 EZ

3 x 50 burst + cruise
    50 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    1 free, 1 flutter kick
    100 EZ

Total: 1750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continuing with the rest ... I felt a little lighter in the water today, but not so great when I tried to sprint. No jitters at all, but then those don't usually hit until the 3rd week of tapering. So perhaps they won't even arrive this time with my shorter taper. And my family will be happier, I'm sure

Missed swimming in the Last Chance meet with all my PV friends. But it was probably just as well with NE Champs this weekend. Speedo threw down some very fast sprints. I'm waiting to see and read about the rest of the results.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sunday, Dec. 4, 2011 USAS Meet Results Day 2

by , December 4th, 2011 at 06:22 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I started off this morning by not setting an alarm on purpose. I was tired from yesterday, and enjoyed the bonus sleep. Also, why wake up for general warmups from 7:15-8:00 (13 & overs), when my first event isn't till after 10:00am?? I just got there about 9 and warmed up in the deep tank again. It worked good enough.
    Now I know why I don't do that many 2-day meets. The 2nd day is usually a train wreck waiting to happen, especially when you've already done 5 events the day before!

200 Free - 1:56.36 (2nd place) - This one I just didn't have that get-out speed like I usually do. The 2nd hundred my legs were burning really bad. 1:54.5 is my best time I did 2 years ago, and I've been pretty consistent around 1:56 lately, so that part is good. The kid that won is a sprinter, and I was actually closing on him the final 50, but we would've needed another 50 more to make it close.

100 Back - 1:03.90 (3rd place) - Well, I tried doing more SDKs than I normally do. I went 15 meters off the start with 11 kicks, and all other walls I did anywhere from 5-8 SDKs which is a huge improvement. I felt like I did well, until I saw the clock on the wall. I was 2.5 seconds off my best time. The other adults I swim with who are parents on the club team all informed me of how I need to fix my right hand entry and crossover. It's hard to describe it, so I just prefer not to swim backstroke (except for IMs).

100 Fly - 58.78 (2nd place) - It felt good, but was just slow. 2 seconds slow. I was back and forth with the same kid who beat me in the 200 Free, and came to the final stroke where I had to make a decision of "do I or don't I??" If I took the final stroke I'd probably be looking for dental surgery, so I just kicked in and got beat. I was tired, plain and simple. Even my masters coach said I looked tired.

50 Free - 24.72 (3rd place) - This was funny at the end of the race. There was a 15 year old from one of the other teams that had been wanting to beat me all day long, but just couldn't do it. As we all hit the wall, I looked at the clock, already knowing the sprinter kid was winning it. Waiting for Lane 4 (me) to pop up in 2nd place... it came up as Lane 2 (the 15 year old) second place. I was 3rd by a tenth of a second. I looked over and smiled at him. He got me, and he was for sure happy about it too.

1000 Free - Yeah right!! I scratched it.
    It would've been trouble for me, and the lifeguards might have had to go into action. I'm sure I could've done decent, but if I'm not going to be in contention of beating my LMSC age group record (10:49), I don't want to swim it. I knew that wasn't going to happen today.

I ended the weekend with two 1st places, 5 2nd places, and two 3rd places, and one NS. Not bad for racing the youngin's either. I'm not sure if they were doing high point awards, but if they are, I ended up scoring the most points in the 15 & overs boys group. Basically because most of the boys either only swam one of the two days, or those that swam 2 days, only did 3 or 4 events each day...whereas I did 9 events over the two days.
  3. Saturday, 12/2/11

by , December 4th, 2011 at 11:32 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with swim buddy
    Skipped early lap swim and slept in. Since the pool has open swim in the afternoon and is usually not very crowded this time of the year, we decided to try to get a workout in the afternoon. It was perfect! We were the only ones there!

Warm up(1000)
    300 Swim - free and back
    200 as 25 Kick/25 Drill - IM order
    3 x 100 free/1:30 - Build each, swam these around 1:20
    4 x 50 back/1:00 desc - from 45->41

Main Set (1400)
    7 x 200 Broken
    Strong to Fast efforts
    Choice of Stroke or IM for set of 4, free for set of 4
    200/4:00
    100 - 10 - 100/4:20
    100 - 10 - 50 - 5 - 50/4:40
    50 - 5- 50 - 5 -50 - 5 - 50/5:00
    - 1st round free, #1 2:45, #2 2:50 (2:40), #3 2:50 (2:35)
    - 2nd round back, #1 3:05, #2 3:10 (3:00), #3 3:08 (2:58), #4 3:06 (2:56)

Kick (600)
    1 x 200 IM Kick
    - on back in streamline, didn't get time
    1 x 400 Kick - Choice - Board ok
    - free w/ board, didn't get time

Sprint
    2 x 50 choice
    - Since it was open swim, no blocks. Went from push.
    - #1 free, :32; #2 fly, :38, did easy 50 after each

Warm down
    100 easy

Total: 3300
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. I'm king of the nerds!!!

by , December 3rd, 2011 at 10:22 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Warning: completely swimming unrelated.

Early last year, I was conned into coaching a group of homeschoolers (my son included) in a Lego Robot competition. I was picked mostly because I already owned a Lego Robot kit and the parents were fed up with thier team through a local science musem. No... it isn't my son's robot... it is mine and I like it! The attraction (for the nerds) is the obstacle course the kids get to program the robot through. But there are scores for a theme related project, teamwork and a bunch of other stuff. I had high expectations for the year. We were going to have 2 robots, 2 practice tables, tons of help (from a friend who convinced me to do this in the first place), and 10 months to get everyone ready. We ended up with 1 robot, 1 table, a late start on getting project materials together and a revolving door for team members. I ended up coaching 2 soccer teams, one of which went to state championships and lots of business trips for my friend stretched everyone's time thin. So, last night, our last minute practice for the event today was looking pretty sorry. Nobody was organized or coordinated and the robot wasn't doing much at all. The top 10 out of 23 teams today moved on the State finals. I gave us a 50-50 chance of being in that top 10. Tried my best to sugar coat the efforts of the team members and encourage them to have fun no matter how badly things go. Things did start very badly. If you just place the robot on the table and do nothing, you get 72 points. We scored 60 on our practice round. Still, things were working better and the team was starting to coordinate their efforts. Even better, the judging for the project and teamwork seemed to go awfully well even though we didn't know the actual scores. After round 1 we were in 3rd place with the robot obstacle course and ended up 5th at the end of the day. At the awards we sat behind a team that had raked in Best Coach, Best Robot Design and Highest Points in the robot obstacle. I'm thinking "these guys pretty much have it sewn up but on the other hand, I have underestimated our chances at making the State finals". Turns out I severely underestimated our chances... we won the overall first place! My assistant and I looked at each other in complete shock when they called us down for the award. As the team went down to recieve our trophy, I realized "I'm king of the nerds and I'm completely ok with that". I'm king of the local nerds for now anyway and aspire to be king of the state ones as well .

Updated December 4th, 2011 at 05:24 AM by pmccoy

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 USAS Meet Results Day 1

by , December 3rd, 2011 at 09:05 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I started off this morning at 4:30am like most meet days, except this meet was right here in town, and I wasn't heading to the meet, I was going to work for 4 hours of OT work to get some machinery fixed up prior to Monday.

So with that I skipped the meet warmup, which IMO is pretty much pointless anyway, especially when I can take a few lengths in the deep tank 10 yard pool, or stretch in the warm showers anyway. This is a distance guy saying this...remember.
    Between each event I may have done 6-8 lengths in the 10 yard warmup area to cool down, but other than that...this day was swimming basically "cold turkey"...and I did just fine.

100 Free - 52.57 (.5 seconds off best) 2nd place. breathing basically every stroke like I usually do, including double breathing right-left into all the turns.

100 Breast - 1:08.91 (1.4 seconds off best) 2nd place. Worked on my very very long pullouts to reduce the amount of kicking I had to do. I don't want to put that much into my knees if I don't have to.

200 IM - 2:12.11 (3 seconds off best) 2nd place. This was just sluggish after the fly. I struck my hand hard on my last stroke into the turn on the fly, and back and breast just suck, the free I was tired.

I went home at this point for about 1 1/2 hours since I had about 2 1/2 hours till my next swim, which is my favorite one!! I really love my butterfly races, and especially the 200 Fly. Its strange that I feel soooo good in them most of the time, and I rarely ever practice fly. Maybe it's just one of the "built-in features" from all the prior years of swimming.

200 Fly - 2:07.81 (1/2 second off best) 1st place. I was told I was out in a 1:00low at the 100. It was a great race with the 15 year old next to me. We were tied at the 100, but at the 125 I decided to start building from there, and the kid fell back a little bit. I felt strong all the way home, maintaining a 2up, 1 down breathing pattern.
    We were also the only two 13 & overs swimming the 200 Fly, and our seed times were both 2:07s going into the event...so I knew this was going to be a race. During the race, I could hear a large amount of the crowd was cheering, though I'm not sure who for. The 15 year old trying to beat the old guy, or the old guy trying to show he can still do it.

500 Free - 5:18.xx (5 second off best) 1st Place - this one was tough, though I felt like I came back well in the final 150. The 14 year old next to me took off in the 1st 100 and I couldn't hang with him. He ended up at 5:09, which was right on his best.

This was an all around fun day. The kids from all the teams are really enjoying racing with me and talking with me about things I've done in swimming and what I'm doing now. Another 15 year old told me he has a target on me in the 200 Free tomorrow. I told him good luck with that!

I think tomorrow I'm going to skip the general warmup just like I did today. Warmups are so overrated...just don't tell the agegroupers that!

I'm swimming the 200 Free, 100 Back, 100 Fly, 50 Free, and 1000 Free tomorrow. Should be good until the final event. I haven't done a multiday event in a while, so I'll be tired, and having the 1000 at the end isn't my first choice.

Updated December 3rd, 2011 at 09:13 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  6. NS, Sat., Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2011 at 07:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spent another long day at a USAS meet. But I did come home and do a stretch/yoga for 40 minutes.

The bad news is that my elbows are really bothering me. They almost feel worse now after a week+ off weights. Enough to keep me awake part of last night. I was timing with a tennis pro at the meet, and quizzed him (and others too) about treatments for tennis elbow. I've also heard this problem can last some months. This is somewhat depressing. I haven't had anything but a very minor tweak in a few years. And it's purely the result of being stupid in the gym ... The elbows probably just need a lot of ice and rest, and I need to hunt down my old stim device.

In light of this, I'm going to be a NS at the Last Chance meet tomorrow. This is not a big deal. I was aiming for NE Champs anyway and can swim the 50 free there. So I'll just miss the 100 breast. It seems unwise to risk further inflaming things by doing the evil stroke right at this moment. The older you get, the smarter you get. After NE Champs, I will shift to 90% kick workouts for awhile. No problem there either!

Now I need to go do some of that stalking that pwb loves!

Updated December 4th, 2011 at 09:45 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  7. Sat Dec 3rd SCM meet results

by , December 3rd, 2011 at 06:33 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Dec 3rd 2011 Palo Alto SCM Meet

2011 South Central SCM Regional Invitational
    San Antonio, TX

2010 SCM blogs from this meet: Sat Dec 4th, 2010 & Sun Dec 5th, 2010

We wanted to do a 4 x 100 medley
    (we = me, David Guthrie, Jim Sauer & Max)
    But it was right before the 400 IM
    So we opted to skip it & hopefully do it tomorrow

400 IM
    4:52.31
    1:06.12 30.59 35.53
    1:15.14 37.89 37.25
    1:21.39 39.79 41.60
    1:09.66 35.32 34.34 (just 2 beat kicked never turned on my 6 beat)
    I held back a little on the freestyle to not be as fatigued for the rest of my races

50 bk
    Good start 10 or 11 SDKs
    Not so great turn
    12 SDKs on 2nd 50
    Glide touch
    Went 28.00
    Think I can go faster with no 4 IM before it & better luck on turns & touches

50 FR
    Went 25.14
    Had a long glide touch should have taken 1 more stroke

100 IM
    Went 1:01.31
    Good race
    29.14 32.17
    Think I was 1:03 last yr in Tempe

Was entered in 1500 but scratched to rest up for Sun

Sundays Races

100 BK in 4 x 100 medley

50 BR went 32.08 last yr

200 IM went 2:14.49 last yr

50 FL went 26.79 last yr but it's back to back to the 200 IM

Then we might do a 4 x 50 medley

& I'm entered in the 800 free which is last
    Might scratch, might do a split Req or might just swim it and see what I can go
    We'll see

Trained Fri Dec 2nd 2011 didn't blog till now

Whitney Coached
    scy UT Swim Center: main pool center course
    6:30 - 8:00 dove in
    wore jammer
    trained with the taper gang

Warm up
    swam easy 50's

Main set
    Did 5 rounds of
    100 fr easy speed on 5:00 held 1:00's
    50 fr easy speed on 3:00 held 28's
    Just swam easy speed

Updated December 5th, 2011 at 12:08 PM by ande

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Meet report

by , December 3rd, 2011 at 06:14 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Ok, here it is:

Solid, improving with the season, but not quite as fast as I wanted to be. (24.9 24.6 24.4)

The bad bits:
    1. Crappy turn. Came in long (or short if I had to take a 1/2 stroke) so bad luck-of-the-draw.
    2. Even with "mistakes", overall, just not fast enough to get close to 23.99

The good news!!!!
    1. I FELT good today! No bloating and relatively loose!
    2. I felt strong, and had more "control" of my body instead of the mindless I-know-I'm-Grinding-But-Too-Late-Now! feeling.
    3. Breathing patten intact at 1 down/1 back. Felt very comfortable with it today, perhaps because the lack of bloating makes me feel like I have more room for my lungs.

So to turn in another ho-hum throw-that-mid 24-on-the-pile swim into something constructive, here it is:

1. If I can stay on a SIX week "program", then i'll be as ready as I ever have been for a swim meet (Austin Grand Prix). And really, this is about the max time I can "forecast" out. This includes a very specific emphasis on weights/strength work and swim sets for my "cycle" to peak MLK weekend. This means I will have to do workouts on my own. No time for fat or sets that do not best support a 50 LCM freestyle.
    2. Bad turn? Upon reflection, it was not the turn that was bad; I think it was more just something that happens every now and then in a 50 race, regardless of the stroke. So it's not something I think needs correction, although one can always work on the turn, now I am preparing for a LCM 50 - no turn!
    3. Continue with slight stroke adjustment - it felt strong and really good! Now fine tune it.
    4. Six week program includes 1 lb per week (started this last week at 140, this week I was 139) until I am 135 and then hold it. I realize this is not sustainable, i'd rather be eating lots of junk food and am happy to carry the extra 5 lbs. But the tradeoff of 6 weeks with being Dara-lean for one meet is worth a go!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Next up:
    DAMM Christmas relay meet!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Friday, Dec. 2, 2011 5:00am & 5:30pm & Meet Prep

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 10:57 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A.M. Workout:

Warmup

200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

5 x 100 Kick w/ board @ 1:50 (went 1:35s)

3 x 200 IM @ 3:00 (went 2:32/2:34/2:35)

10 x 100 IM @ 1:45 with group - I went fast since I had the extra rest
    (went 1:11-1:14s)

5 x 50 Sprint @ 1:00 #1 & 5 were Fly, #2,3,4 were Free (went 29/28/28/29/31)

50 EZ and out
    -------------------
    2900 Yards

==========================

P.M. workout: Basically just an "easy" swim, nothing too intense, kinda

Warmup

2 rounds of:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

4 x 75 Kick w/ board @ 1:20 (went 1:09s)
    4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :55 (went :45s)
    4 x 25 Kick w/ board @ :30 (went :22s)

100 Free stretch out

6 x 150 Free Pull @ 2:00 (held 1:39-1:40s)
    4 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 (held 1:06s)

calf cramped up here...
    100 Breast kick w/ board

4 x 100 IM Order Drill EZ

400 EZ Kick w/ board just back and forth
    ----------------------
    3900 Yards

=========================

They were setting up for the meet tonight while I was finishing up at the end of lap swim. Yippie! Tomorrow and Sunday is time to race the kiddies. As you can tell, I'm just swimming thru this meet with no big intentions other than having fun racing.
    I took a look at the heat sheet they were posting on the wall, and I'm seeded pretty well (these are from my memory).
    Sat: 100 Free (2nd), 100 Breast (2nd), 200 IM (1st), 200 Fly (1st but it'll be a race with the other guy ), 500 Free (2nd).
    Sun: 200 Free (2nd), 100 Back (5th), 50 Free (3rd), 100 Fly (1st), 1000 Free (2nd).
    Should be good times!! The good thing about this being a USAS meet is that the 500 and 1000 are seeded fast to slow, so I don't have to wait around.
  10. Friday, Dec. 2

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 09:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    1200 m. easy in hot gym pool.

Other than that, on my feet or in car since 10:45 am.

Shortest blog ever. Break over at HS meet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Friday, 12/2/11

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 04:49 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, with swim buddy.

Warm up (800)
    400 Swim
    4 x 50/1:00; IM Order > 25 drill > 25 build swim
    8 x 25/30; Build strong to fast each 25

1 x 400/7:00 smooth
    2 x 100/1:45 strong

1 x 300 free/4:30 smooth
    6 x 50 bk/1:00 strong

6 x 75 breast/2:00
    odds breast w/dolphin kick, evens kick
    1 x 150 breast FULL STROKE

Warm Down
    100 easy swim

Total: 2700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Day before my cameo 50 free

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 03:20 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam on my own next to the workout.

400 ish warm up

200 various kick

4 x 50 various

about 30 minutes of 25's, only 1 a sprint, the rest just easy stuff including walking in the middle of the pool. For when 25's are just too much distance.

Total pool time: 40 minutes

First place: to hot tub and choice of showers, heh heh

The question when you don't feel good is: What do I need to do in order to be as ready as possible on RACE DAY? Or rather, what should I not do?, or How little should I do? I don't think walking around in the middle of the pool is going to hurt my swim tomorrow. In fact, it was kind of relaxing to bob around in the middle of the pool and play with my toes.

I have a tendancy to want to "Test My Speed" as I get towards a swim meet. But I really had to refrain from doing a bunch of fast 25's when my body was really saying, no! or rather ==>no! heh heh

So I felt like I was "creeping up" on trying to do fast 25's, so I decided, just do ONE, then shut it down! Theory confirmed - I haven't slowed down since 2 days ago.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is the meet info:

http://www.teamunify.com/NewsShow.js...83&team=ntscor

Not sure if that worked, but don't worry; in 24 hours i'll have a report of how close to the 24 mark I swam.

Wish me luck!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -12/05/11

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 01:02 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 300 5:00 4:30
    5 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 x 200 kick 4:30
    4 X 100 kick 2:10
    1 X 100 swim

4 X {4 x 50
    descend within each round 1-3, #3 @ 100%, #4 swim is easy. All choice.
    Round 1 interval is :45, 2 is :50, 3 is :55, 4 is 1:00

1 X 200 3:00 2:50 2:40
    2 X 100 1:30 1:25 1:20
    4 X 50 :45 :40 :35
    Three rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 middle, 3 right

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5100Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Gentle morning workout

This morning I swam with Hannah at the Y. Today I was less cough-y, and more doped up on cold medicine, and that seemed better for making it through a workout. I didn’t push anything—the goal was just to stay in the water and swim a bit. Here’s how it went:

800 scy warmup

Pacman 300s (kick > swim)
    300 kick
    50 swim / 250 kick
    100 swim / 200 kick
    150 swim / 150 kick
    200 swim / 100 kick
    250 swim / 50 kick
    300 swim
    [I did most of this freestyle swim, varied kick. No intervals--we took chat breaks between most 300s.]

5 x 100 IM @ 2:00 [warmdown]
    150 extra warmdown + play

It seems like my cold might have turned into a URI. I'm seeing the doctor this afternoon—hoping for some drugs that will clear things up!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Dec 2, 2011

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 12:41 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    191 days until Day 1 of the FINA World Masters Championships

Tuesday, November 29
    Kinsmen Aquatic Cenre
    EWU Pool (25m)

2 x 400, every 3rd 25 either back or breast, 20 seconds rest

8 x 100 alt pull @ 2:00 and kick @ 2:15

4 x
    (75 IM Kick (no free) @ 1:40
    75 IM Drill (no free) @ 1:30
    75 IM Swim (no free) @ 1:20)

16 x 25 Free as 3 drill, one swim @ :40

4 x
    (4 x 25 @ :25,
    2 x 50 @ :50
    1 x 100 @ 1:40)
    Alternate Free and IM (as 100 IMs)

200 EZ

Total Distance = 4300 SCM

Thursday, December 1
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    WWU Pool (25m)

200 Free
    200 Back
    200 Fly Kick
    200 Free

10 x (25 kick/50 swim/25 kick) @ 1:45

6 x
    (25 kick, on side, no board @ :35,
    25 SDK @ :35,
    25 catchup free @ :35,
    25 dog paddle @ :35,
    25 swim @ :35)

8 x 50 free "jagged" as:
    50 free @ :40
    50 free @ :50
    50 free @ :45
    50 free @ :55
    50 free @ :60
    50 free @ :65

300 EZ

8 x 50 free "jagged" as:
    50 free @ :35
    50 free @ :40
    50 free @ :60

8 x 50 EZ @ 1:05

Total Distance = 4050 SCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. 12/2/11

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 10:32 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Warm Up
    600 FR/ BK by 50
    5 x 100 K 3:00
    100 EZ

Main
    4 x 100 FR P/50 Swim 2:25
    12 x 25 FR FR sprint from block 1:00
    4 x 50 P/100 Swim 2:25
    10 x 50 FR :45

Cool
    500 Fink Kick no board, FR/FL by 50s
    300 EZ
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 12.2.11 - Friday workout

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 08:30 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave today. Roger and other Dave are at the State meet in Auburn this weekend. Kent and Teresa will be swimming in the meet. Hope they do well. We modified the sendoffs for today's workout. Even with easier intervals, it was still pretty tough.

SCY

400 warm up

2 x 100 - 1:30
    3 x 100 IM - 1:30
    16 x 25 - :30 1/2 under water
    50 Easy

5 Times through
    * 4 x 50 IM Order - 1:00 (1, 3, 5 - 1/2 under water; 2, 4 - Kick)
    * 2 x 200 Pull - 2:20 (2:18-2:22 only made the last iteration)
    * :20 rest

200 Cool down

(4550 total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Easy warm up

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 08:05 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just a nice easy swim. I will have the 1500 this evening with a full warm up and warm down then.

1000 free as 200SPSKS
    4x50 from block 20 yard sprints free
    500 free kick w/fins
    300 free w/snorkle

Total 2000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Thursday, Dec. 1, 2011 5:15pm

by , December 1st, 2011 at 10:19 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

2 rounds of:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

4 x 125 Free Kick w/ board @ 2:10 (went 2:00-2:02)
    I used to have a tough time making 100s @ 2:00, so this is telling me I'm getting better at something.

10 x 100 IM @ 1:25 (held 1:14-1:17s) last one was the 1:14

8 x 25 Free EZ @ :30

2 x 150 Free Pull @ 2:00 (went 1:35/1:38)
    3 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 (went 1:04/1:05/1:05)
    4 x 50 Free Pull @ :40 (went :31s)
    8 x 25 Free Pull @ :20 (went whatever...a time for a 25 means squat to me)

-----------------------
    3700 Yards

I felt really sluggish starting off the swimming today, and didn't start feeling decent till halfway through the IM set. I probably could've kept going for a while more on the IMs, moreso than straight freestyle 100s. Probably due to the changing strokes all the time keeps it more interesting. Oh well, I'll never really give up my almost all freestyle training.

USAS Meet this weekend. I feel like I'll swim pretty well. There isn't really going to be much competition for me, since most of the senior level (15+) boys are now in the high school season. They'll still be a few there, or at least the 13-14s to race. We're swimming all the events as 13 & Over, so that's good.
  20. Workout 12/01/11

by , December 1st, 2011 at 06:46 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK/100 Fly drill/100 BR drill

3 x 200 FR Pull with buoy on 2:40

4 x
    - 100 IM on 1:45
    - 50 Kick on :60 (fr/bk/sdk/fr)

now for the fun ...

- Go on the next :30
    - 10 x 50 on :50 FR DPS
    - Go on the next :60
    - 10 x 50 on :40 (1-2 FR, 3 non-free; repeat)
    - Go on the next :60
    - 10 x 50 on :45 Pull with buoy (1-4 FR, 5 BK; repeat)
    - Go on the next :30
    - 10 x 50 on :40 FR Quarters strong

150 cool off and out

(3950, 70 min)

-----
    Well I guess my thought of decreasing yardage for next week's meet this week didn't happen. I did not sleep all to well last night and took a short nap before lunch, so I wanted to get some pace work in today.

On the 200 pull I held 2:23, so I am happy with that. I worked to come in about the same time on all three, working the streamlines off each wall. The next set was basically stroke work fillers with some kicking - didn't want to do too much after yesterday.

I have done this multi 50's set in the past heading into a big meet, to hit target times.
    - First time through was DPS and 2-3 SDK off each wall. Held 35's.
    - Second time through I did BK/Fly/BK. Just a few short rest on strokes, held 33's on the FR
    - Third time I held 35's on all, even the Back. Bonus!
    - Last set - huff and puff with a strong kick, aiming for 32's. Quarters strong = cycle through fast 12.5 yards every four. I just kept ticking them off and looking forward to the "only two left ..."

I was able to fix the pellet stove pipe outside today, and also reinforce my snowblower's discharge chute with some tin - ready for winter now. Off to watch "Pippin" at the high school tonight. My daughter is running the lights, sound, and the helpers. She does a great job with it. I'll be back in the pool on Monday ...

Updated December 1st, 2011 at 09:56 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts