View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Distance Tuesday... Sort of

by , September 13th, 2011 at 12:57 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Tuesday's are traditionally distance days with average workouts being 4000+ yards. Today started out that way... initially. Here's what I did:

400 Warm-Up
    8 x 50 Kick on 1:00 - even w/o board
    1 x 1000 Free pace on 18:00 Broken at 400 for :30, 300 for :20, 200 for :10, final 100 faster (did last 100 on 1:24)
    8 sets:
    - 1 x 50 Free FAST on 1:00 (did mainly :34s)
    - 1 x 100 Free EZ on 2:00
    3 x 100 Free on 2:30 (supposed to be decreasing breaths per 25 - not so much for me)
    200 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3500

The broken 1000 was written as each segment (400, 300, 200, 100) as a different stroke, but I am doing a 500meter race this weekend as part of a Sprint Tri relay team and wanted to focus on maintaining (and increasing) pace over a longer swim. So... pretty happy with the 1:24 at the end and happy to be able to hold under 1:30 pace over the entire 1000 swim.

As to the :34s for the Fast 50s. Wish they were faster, but I did give it my all on those and think I may have figured out a slight tweak in my freestyle speedy stroke that might help. Stay tuned while I play with it. There is, I think, more speed work on tap for tomorrow.....

Then, getting home, I went into "Aquabike training" mode and did 10 miles on the basement bike in 34 minutes. Happy with that too. One of these days, I need to actually get biking outside, but when trying to balance the extra distance with actually getting to work on time.... morning bikes in the basement avoid the problem of overestimating how far I can go in the allotted time. Biking outside will have to be - for now - during those weeks that my girls are visiting their father.

Enjoy your swims today and I'll check in tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011 5:00am

by , September 13th, 2011 at 10:51 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Felt like kicking my own butt this morning. 3rd practice over a 24 hour period...loads of fun!

Warmup/Main:

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (held 1:15s)
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:25 (1:12s)
    3 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (1:11/1:12)
    2 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (1:08/1:09)
    1 x 100 Free @ 1:10 (1:06)

5 x 200 Free Pull @ 2:30 (held 2:20s)

100 EZ

2 x 100 Fly @ 1:30 (1:11/1:13)
    4 x 50 Fly @ :45 (:35s)
    8 x 25 Fly @ :30 (:16s)

For this fly stuff, I had my buddy in the next lane over doing the same thing freestyle, so it kept me going that way. Started hurting halfway through the set.

8 x 25 SDK on back @ :15 rest

100 EZ
    -----------------
    3500 Yards
  3. Great Tuesday Workout

by , September 13th, 2011 at 10:22 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave and Dave. Water temp just below 82... been awesome all week (we are used to 86). Made the last of the 4 400's on 5:00 with my drag suit. The 16 x 75s were supposed to be all free but I went ahead and did stroke/free/stroke to push it a little. Best part was the timed 400. Dave asked me what I thought I would go so he wouldn't chase me too much. I figured a 4:45 would be good to shoot for. 1st 100 was smooth and very fast. Only problem was my goggles were not adjusted quite right and were taking on a little water on every turn. By 200 yds, they were half full and I was having a tough time judging my distance to the walls. Despite a couple bad turns, I was feeling very strong and pushed hard for the second 200. Touched the wall and yanked off my goggles (they were pretty much full at this point) as the clock hit 4:40! Very excited about that. My best meet time is 5:54 so I was set to break that near the end of practice (I had plenty left to go another 100 but was glad to be able to empty my goggles).

SCY

450 Warm up

400 Fr - 6:00 (5:30)
    400 Fr - 5:45 (5:20)
    400 Fr - 5:30 (5:10)
    400 Fr - 5:15 (5:00)

50 Easy

16 x 75 - 1:10 (Stroke/Free/Stroke IM Order)

2:00 Rest

400 Fr Timed (4:40)

16 x 50 Pull - :50 (2 Easy/2 Hard)

200 Cool Down

(4700 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Quite sore today

by , September 13th, 2011 at 08:40 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I guess I just have to remember what I have put myself thru with both the meet and the weightlifting. Patience is just not my strength.

500 Free broken
    500 IM broken
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast (no energy on this today)
    10x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy held 1:22-23 did not feel strong
    200 free kick w/snorkle
    300 Free easy

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday Sept. 12, 2011 Aquasol

by , September 13th, 2011 at 01:03 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol
    5:30PM-7:30PM
    Coach Janine

We almost lost tonights workout with a last minute waterpolo game,
    the director of the YMCA got involved and stopped it. Whew...

Warm 100FR, 100BK, 150K, 150P (500)
    -
    200 Fly kick w/ board (200/700)
    -
    20x50 First 10 BR w/ Free kick, / Second 10 Fly Kick on 1:00/1:10(1000/1700)
    -
    16x100 BK/FR Alternate BK on 2:00, FR on 1:45 (1600/3300)
    -
    20x75 Pull Breath on off-side (paddles and buoy) on 1:10 (1500/4800)
    -
    200 cool

Felt good to get some decent yardage in for a change
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Monday, Sept. 12, 2011 5:00pm (Round #2)

by , September 12th, 2011 at 11:24 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I had a quick 30 minutes to get in a second swim before I had to be off to coach my son's soccer practice at 6, so I made the most of my time.

Warmup

100 Free
    100 Back
    100 Free
    100 Back
    200 IM

Itty bitty fly set:
    4 x 75 @ 1:10 (Fly, Free, Free by 25s) held :54/:55
    4 x 75 @ 1:05 (Fly, Free, Free) :54/:55
    4 x 75 @ 1:00 (Free, Free, Fly) last 2 were :53 and :51
    4 x 75 @ :55 (All Free) :50-:52
    no rest between rounds, and changed it up for the fly portion on the 3rd round for an added degree of difficulty, but did just fine.

100 EZ
    ----------------
    1900 Yards - 30 minutes
    + 3500 Yards from the a.m.
    ----------
    5400 for the day

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 11:33 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  7. New England 10K in two weeks

by , September 12th, 2011 at 09:45 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    After a successful 2.4 mile swim at the Peaks to Portland (Maine) in July, in which I swam without a wetsuit in 62-64 degree Atlantic Ocean water in a time of 49:54, I am now looking towards my first 6.2 mile swim on Sunday, 9/25, in Rhode Island.

Ray, the race coordinator, gave me a call last night and mentioned that 40+ folks are registered for either the 5K or 10K swims. I am going to be able to have my buddy Bob join me as my kayaker for the event, which I am really happy about.

I have been reading the Open Water forums for helpful hints for this distance. I have had limited training this month due to Hurricane Irene pummeling Vermont. Our town had no main water supply for 7 days, and the Rec center where I train was closed for 2 weeks (one for yearly maintenance, the other since we had no water). Finally the major road traversing the southern border of Vermont, from Bennington to Brattelboro, was reopened this past weekend. Today my wife and I traveled it on my motorcycle - totally different landscape with roads washed out and buildings gone. We were blessed to only have rain and wind at my home, so I thank God for his protection.

If anyone has additional tips for this long swim please feel free to leave them for me. I was able to get in a 3600yd swim tonight in less than one hour, alternating focus on 8x200 power swims and 9x100 sprints.

Anyone else planning to swim?

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 09:51 PM by rxleakem (wanted to add a category to the entry - still trying to figure out how to navigate these blogs. :))

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  8. Monday, Sept. 12

by , September 12th, 2011 at 06:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    assisted dips, 20 assist 1 x 8, 30 assist 2 x 12
    Cavic horizontal cable raise, 20 x 3 x 25
    (I took 26 strokes in my last 100 fly)
    HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 20
    "Leaper machine" -- don't know what this new machine at my gym is called. It's a squat machine, but with a flat surface to stand on and you can set the weight in 1 lb increments. I arbitrarily set it at 50 and did 2 x 15 squat jumps. Hard, but v cool way to do plyos. Was just trying it out today as I did plyos yesterday.
    extreme angle iso squat w/15 DB, 5:00
    extreme angle left lunge, 3:00*
    extreme angle push up hold, 1:00
    extreme angle bicep hold w/5 lb DBs, 3:00

* I am eliminating the extreme angle iso lunges. They are too tortuous and I dislike them. I'd rather substitute the extreme angle step ups with DBs, which I've done on many occasions and serve the same purpose of building eccentric strength.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various

10 x 25 shooter on back

Speed Sets:

4 x 50 backstroke spin drill + cruise

50 EZ

3 x (5 x 50 @ 1:30)
    1st set: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast + cruise
    2nd set: dolphin kick on stomach, 9/10/11/12/13 kicks fast + cruise
    3rd set: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast + cruise

50 EZ

8 x (25 fast + 25 EZ) @ 1:30
    odds = fast hands breast
    evens = fast doggy paddle

warmed down in hot tub for 10 min

Total: 2500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Miscalculated. I should have left the drylands for Tuesday. I was really tired in the pool after a double yesterday and drylands today. Almost abandoned the workout and did a recovery swim, but was worried I might feel worst tomorrow. It actually felt a bit better as I went along. The 3 x (5 x 50) set is a favorite of Rich A.

I'm struggling to get into a routine, and I need one now that summer is over. And I would prefer one where the drylands wouldn't kill my speed in the pool. Looking at my flog, I did 4 dryland workouts and a couple days of parachute work in 8 days. Not consistent with my plan of doing 2 x weights + 1 core. I guess I've been happy to get back to the gym after that month of only swimming? And I feel like I might need a recovery week soon. If I take it next week, then I could hit it hard for 4 weeks and take a week off before the Sprint Classic.

Tentative plan for the week:

Monday: weights/speed
    Tuesday: slow recovery swim/yoga
    Wed: lactate set/stretch
    Thursday: weights/plyos (can't go to my team practice b/c of Back to School night)
    Friday: speed/yoga
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: team practice

Speedo -- want to meet on Friday?

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 08:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  9. Mon Sep 12th, 2011 SCY

by , September 12th, 2011 at 05:29 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Sep 12th, 2011 scy

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool scy
    6:00 - 7:30 dove in on time
    wore training jammer
    swam with Mike
    Beside Amy, Kellie, Jim, Tyler & Larry

WARM UP
    2 rounds of 200 fr, 50, 50k 200, 50IM 50 3 breaths
    did 300 extra

Main SET: scy

8 x 175 on 2:00
    (she told us to go as far as we could on 2:00
    I did 2 175s, then did a 150, but mike turned so I pushed off 5 sec behind him & made the next 6

4 x 25 on 30 with 1 breath

6 x 150 on 1:50
    swam them made em

4 x 25 6 strokes fast

4 x (1 150, 2 125, 3 125, 4 150) on 1:40

4 x 25 k

assigned 800 neg split
    did 4 x 100 flutter k with a board fast on 2:30
    went 1:17, 1:16, 1:15, 1:12

rested

100 flutter k with a board fast from a belly flop dive, went 1:09

plan to do more fast 25's 50's 75's & 100's flutter kicking with a board,
    when I've raced the 100 FR kicking hard
    I feel like my legs give out on the 3rd & 4th 50's when I kick hard from the start
    will also do some fast kick interval stuff

Updated September 14th, 2011 at 04:55 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Coney Island 10K

Yesterday I went out to Coney Island for the New York Harbor 5K/10K swim. I had swum out at Brighton the day before, and the water had been so gentle and calm, and the day so warm and balmy. Yesterday was a different story altogether. The sky was overcast and the wind had kicked up—it was a raw, blustery day. For some reason the Ernie Banks quote kept on going through my head: “It’s a beautiful day for a ballgame—let’s play two!” (It’s a beautiful day for a loop? Let’s swim two!)

My day got off to a somewhat somber start, seeing TSA agents joining the ranks of machine-gun-toting police stationed at my local subway stop. My backpack was swabbed and approved before I was allowed through the turnstiles. The heightened security in the city for the last few days has just underscored the sadness of the 9/11 anniversary for me. Layered atop that was the sense that my day’s swim was in some small way a memorial swim—late summer races at the beach always remind me of my AGUA lanemate Andrew, who was killed in the 9/11 attacks--my last memories of him were of tossing the football around and hanging out after a beach race scarcely a week before the towers fell. I always try to approach my swimming with a sense of gratitude—for being here, for being healthy, for being fortunate enough to have the opportunity and means to participate in a sport I love—and that sense was deepened by the reminder that not everyone has been so lucky.

I was glad when I was finally on a train and heading out to the beach, and even felt a strange sense of affection for my fellow subway riders who were simply going about their business of doing whatever it was that required being on the subway so early on a Sunday morning. And I was interrupted from too much brooding by a text from my friend Rondi. She was also headed out to the race on a D train, and for the second day in a row I swapped messages back and forth with someone while heading out to Coney Island, trying to determine if we were on the same train. (There’s no reception while in the tunnels, so inevitably you get someone’s message that “I’m now on the bridge” only when you’ve surfaced and are on the bridge, by which time . . . well, you get the picture). Turned out she was on a train ahead of me, but I was cheered up swapping messages and playing wwf with her once the trains surfaced again in Brooklyn. By the time I was nearing Coney Island, I was happy and looking forward to seeing and sharing the day with so many friends and fellow swimmers.

As I neared the race headquarters at the Aquarium I saw some swimmers hanging around outside—stopped to chat a bit, then headed inside to check in and get numbered. Yesterday’s race was quite small—just 16 swimmers—so there were more volunteers than swimmers about. Usually I ask for a smiley-face in or around my race number from whomever is marking me, but yesterday the markers had plenty of time and creativity to really jazz things up:

8 is for Octopus

(My other arm featured an 8-turned-alien, and I had tri-color snowmen on both sides of my cap.)

The race was designed to be either a 5K or 10K—swimmers had the choice of swimming one or two loops. We were asked which we were doing when we checked, but were allowed to change our minds mid-course if we wanted. I signed up for the 10K at check-in—I was hoping to swim that distance, but was prepared to be happy with whatever the ocean would allow me—with OW you never know what conditions might be like and how you’ll react to them. I hung out for a bit chatting, put on sunscreen (and got teased for my optimism, given the weather), did my inhalers, lubed up, and hung around some more before it was time to head outside to the beach.

It was chilly standing around with just our suits on, and I huddled up with some others while awaiting the start. Drops of water were hitting us, and there was a brief discussion about whether it was rain or just ocean being blown at us by the wind. (It was rain). Out in the distance you could see a distinct line between brown and blue water—the former being the sediment plume that had cancelled the Governors Island swim the day before. Conditions didn’t look real promising—during the pre-race meeting we had been given instructions on what signals we would be given if we had to get out in case of lightning, which seemed like a real possibility.

The wait on the beach was mercifully short—soon there was a countdown, and a whistle, and we were off and headed towards the pier. We were with the wind, so it was easy going, if a bit slow. It wasn’t far to the turnaround buoy that marked the western end of the course. Once around it, I started heading back into the wind, and it became clear that the long backstretch of the swim was not going to be so easy.

There was considerable disorganized chop in this direction. It was hard to sight—I could see the buoy that marked the start maybe 1 in 3 times I looked up, and I couldn’t see the jetties at all unless I did breaststroke. The waves kept spinning me around, and I would find myself heading out away from shore, towards New Jersey. The jetskis that were patrolling the outside of the course had to keep telling me to head further in, and I kept trying to, but the water seemed to have different ideas about where I should be heading. (In retrospect, I realize that I was watching the jetski to see if they were still waving me in once I had passed by them, and that by looking behind me while breathing to my right I was probably throwing myself off course in that direction).

By the time I had gotten about ¼ mile from the pier I couldn’t see any other swimmers, and no kayakers. This didn’t worry me—I know this course well, and swim it solo often, and knew as long as I could see the shoreline to my left when I breathed that way every now and then that I was heading the right way (the course runs parallel to shore). So I swam along for a while, trying out different technique strategies for dealing with the chop. I tried not to pick up my head to sight too often, since I knew that would eventually make my neck sore if I did it throughout the 10k, especially with the water knocking against me so unpredictably.

After about a mile a kayak came and paddled beside, and that made sighting unnecessary. (We had 10 kayakers who were sort of roving around the field of 16 swimmers.) After a bit she moved ahead of me and paddled beside another swimmer who was about 15 yards away—I hadn’t seen him until she moved up beside him. I didn’t really like having the kayak ahead of me—couldn’t see it for sighting help, and was afraid I might run into it—so I picked up my pace and passed that swimmer, at which point the kayak hung out with me again. It was a long tough swim up to the turn-around buoy at the eastern end of the course, but it was comforting to pass familiar landmarks—I had a sense of making progress. And by this time I had settled down and was enjoying the swimming, appreciating the greenness of the water, and looking around and marveling, as I watched the kayaker struggle in the chop, that we were all out doing this on such a raw gray day. It seemed splendidly absurd.

Finally I got to the turnaround buoy. There was a boat nearby, and someone from it asked if I wanted some water. I didn’t—I was holding out for the juice/water mixture that was one of my planned feeds. Once I found out it wasn’t on the boat, I figured it was maybe on the kayak stationed at the race’s start point, and decided that I could wait til there, so I rounded the buoy and headed back towards the start. It was so much easier going in this direction! Suddenly I could sight easily, and the water just seemed to push me forward with every stroke. I had lost the kayaker again, but I didn’t need one, and was happy just having it be me and the water as I swam along.

After a bit I began assessing how my body felt, and was a little nervous to sense that my arms and back were more fatigued than I was expecting them to be—I still hadn’t finished even one loop out of two! I was also a little nervous about finding my feeds, and what I would do if I didn’t. But then I reminded myself of one of the most useful things I’ve learned about OW swimming: discomforts (tiredness, muscle aches, hunger, cold, etc.) don’t get progressively worse, as I often worry they will, but tend to ebb and flow as the swim goes along. Which is to say that things often get better by themselves, if you just keep swimming. So rather than extrapolate from my present fatigue, I decided to distract myself by playing around with my stroke a bit, and by watching the octopus and alien that were marked on my arm and imagining a race between them. As for the feeds, I knew if they weren’t at the start, that I could at least get some water there, and if I got really hungry I could eat the gel that Rondi had convinced me to tuck into my cap before the start.

After a bit I heard a jetski approaching. It was Jonathan, who had checked in on me at the turnaround buoy while I was asking about feeds. He hadn’t known where they were then, but had gone and found my bottle (it had indeed been on the kayak near the start) and brought it to me. I took a few swigs and thanked him. Hurray!

I started swimming again, and very soon I noticed that the greenish, relatively clear water I had been swimming in abruptly changed to brown cloudy water. After a few strokes I also noticed that it had a sort of unpleasant chalky taste to it. Uh-oh—I figured that the sediment-laden water we had seen offshore at the beginning of the race had moved in towards the beach and found us. (This was confirmed by the people onshore after the race—they watched as it moved in, and marveled at how distinct the boundary stayed as it moved along). I also ran into some leafy branches and other debris along here. On each armstroke I could still see my hands moving below the water, but definitely not as clearly as before. I hoped that on my second loop I would pass back through this boundary into clearer water again, but it was not to be—the rest of the race was swum in murky brown water.

Finally I got back to the start point—one loop down, one to go. Patty was there in her kayak offering feeds. I didn’t want anything, but it occurred to me that my second feed was probably with her, and I decided to ask for it on the way back out—it was a new feed that I was looking forward to trying out on this swim. I began my second loop by heading out towards the pier. Once I reached the buoy there I stopped for a few seconds to assess the current by seeing which way I was drifting relative to shore. As I suspected, it was going the way I had been swimming, so I was about to head back into it as well as into the chop.

As I turned around I remembered what had been so challenging about the first loop—I had been lulled by swimming with the wind into thinking that conditions had improved dramatically. They were actually a little better the second time around, but I was also definitely more tired. I got to try my second feed on the way back—the fig-nutella-marshmallow pop is a keeper!—but the rest of this portion was something of a slog. I did manage to stay in close to shore—less wandering around this time as I stayed in tight to the jetties.

Midway through this leg my left deltoid started feeling sore, so I worked on rotating more to my left (my non-breathing side, usually) and letting that elbow bend on the recovery rather than swinging my arm wide around. That helped. Midway through this leg another kayaker picked me up. He paddled on my left for awhile until I asked if we could change sides. He stayed with me for the rest of the race, which was nice. By the time I was mid-way through this leg I knew that I would finish the swim, and was glad of that, but I couldn’t wait to get the turn-around point and have things become easy again.

And did become very easy once I rounded the buoy. I was so glad to be headed back to the aquarium for a final time, and I felt strong and grateful and joyful as I stroked along. Landmarks went by—the Y, Grimaldo’s chair, bathhouse, 1st big jetty, more jetties. I could see kite-surfers up ahead—usually I would be nervous about swimming anywhere near them, but I knew with the race course being patrolled that they would probably be kept out of my way today. Finally I neared the buoy marking the finish. I stopped and did a couple of strokes of breaststroke to see exactly where I was expected to make landfall, thanked my paddler for kayaking with me, and headed on in. There were about 20 people shivering onshore cheering for me as I walked up the beach, and I decided that maybe I should jog it in since they were making such a fuss. Done! The 10K took me 3:19, and I was 4th out of 8 official finishers (the 8 other swimmers finished the 5K).

I chatted onshore for bit, went over to an adjacent bay to float around and watch the sky, then helped bring in a buoy (those anchors are heavy!) before heading in to a delicious CIBBOWS post-race feast. It was great to sit around and visit with fellow swimmers and talk about plans for the fall and next season. And at the awards I finally got a CIBBOWS baseball cap! I had been wanting one forever but always seemed to miss out by a place or two one way or the other. Now that I have swum a double loop and won a cap my summer seems complete!

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 03:15 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Not Bad for a Monday....

by , September 12th, 2011 at 02:42 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    I definitely did not feel like getting up this morning. This was one of those rare days when my alarm clock actually got the chance to wake me up. Sad as it is, I've been getting up at 4:30am for so long now that sleeping in on weekends until the cats wake me up at 6:00 is actually sleeping in!

But... I got up and headed to the pool - still half asleep when I got there and expecting a less-than-great workout. Here's what we did:

350 Warm-Up
    4 sets:
    - 1 x 400 on 7:00 (did 2 pull, 2 kick)
    - 1 x 200 on 4:00 (did 1st 100 IM, 2nd 100 free)
    - 1 x 100 Free Easy on 2:00
    - 1 x 50 Free FAST! on 1:00 (did :35, :35, :35, :34)
    350 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3700

All in all, it went better than I expected. My shoulders were getting a little sore with all the pulling, so I kicked the last two 400s. Here's the weird thing. When it's an "easy" free like our 100s today, my stroke felt amazing - and I did the "easy" free on 1:25 without a problem. Why is it than when it's all ALL OUT or I think the interval will be tight, my stroke doesn't feel nearly as good and I fight to hold 1:25s. Must have something to do with being more relaxed, but I could feel the water and was getting a great catch! If only I could always duplicate that feeling (and speed it up too). Oh well... at least I have something to work on.

Now for my , I went home and decided to do a short (7.5 mile) spin on our exercise bike downstairs. Nothing felt off or weird as I biked - but my knee started smarting when I was walking back up the stairs and it's definitely not feeling great right now. I have a history of knee problems which is why I stopped running and started swimming in the first place. I'm hoping this is no big deal because I really want to train for and do the Aquabikes next summer. Just not sure if my knee is reacting to the breaststroke kick or the biking. I guess only time will tell.... I am definitely hoping for the best. I've rather enjoyed this time away from running where I've been able to walk without my knees aching. It's been blissful. If that starts to happen as I add biking... ugh... maybe it's a good thing I haven't upgraded to a road bike yet.

That's my grumble for the day. Hope your day goes well and you enjoy your swims!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/13/11

by , September 12th, 2011 at 02:24 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40
    1 X 200 3:20
    4 X 100 1:30
    1 X 300 4:30
    4 X 50 descend 1-4 1:00

2 X 200 kick 4:15
    4 X 50 kick :55
    1 x 50 swim

1 X 200 IM 3:30
    1 X 100 2:00
    Four times through.
    100's: 1 of each IM order

1 X 300 4:15
    3 X 200 2:45
    1 X 300 4:15
    3 X 100 1:15 or 1:20

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5050Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Monday, 9/12/11

by , September 12th, 2011 at 12:59 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Took the weekend off from swimming. I think I swim better after 2 days of rest.

SCY
    Warm up
    200 Free - 200 IM Drill - 100 Back - 100 IM - 100 Free
    200 - Alternate: 25 kick - 25 drill - 25 scull - 25 swim

Swim Set: #1
    3 x 100/1:30 free
    - went 1:18-1:20-1:19
    10 x 50/1:00 Every 3rd Fast
    - for the fast ones went 40 for fly, 38 for back, 33 for free. the rest were free at 38-40
    10 X 25 Choice: 4/40 - 3/35 - 2/30 - 1/25
    - did these IM order, went 16-20 depending on stroke
    3 x 50/3:00 AFAP Backstroke
    - went 35-34-33 on these

Swim Set #2
    with Fins
    1 x 200 Free/3:10 Neg Split
    - went 2:50
    1 x 150 Back/3:00 50 swim - 50 25R/L with Rotation - 50 swim
    - about 2:40 on this
    2 x 100 Free/1:25 Neg Split Each
    - 1:15, 1:16 on these

Warm down (300)
    1 x 300 smooth alternating 50 Free/50 back

Total: 2950 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Monday, Sept. 12, 2011 5:00am

by , September 12th, 2011 at 11:42 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Ahhhhh... back to the good ol' schedule again. I like my 5:00ams. I know a lot of you probably think I'm crazy, but I can get the most bang for my buck that way (too much family life stuff in the afternoon). I usually always have the "fast lane" to myself until about 10-15 minutes before 6, so that gives me a good 45 minutes or so to "git 'r dun"
    I felt a bit sluggish in the water today, though I was still able to maintain a good tempo, and wasn't too out of breath. Decent considering I only swam twice last week for a grand total of 7000 yards.
    2 more weeks until the SCM Desert Distance Slaughterhouse with PWB in Mesa, AZ. Going to be fun!

Warmup:
    200 Free
    300 Free Pull
    4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00
    300 IM

3 rounds of: (no rest between rounds)
    1 x 200 Free @ 3:00 (held 2:35ish, more of an ez stretch out)
    1 x 200 IM FAST @ 3:00 (went - by rounds: 2:29, 2:28, 2:25)

100 EZ

Pull mountain: (speed up tempo on decline side of the mountain)
    50 Free Pull @ :40
    100 Free Pull @ 1:20
    150 Free Pull @ 2:00
    200 Free Pull @ 2:30
    150 Free Pull @ 1:50
    100 Free Pull @ 1:15
    50 Free Pull @ :35

4 x 50 Free @ :45
    8 x 25 Free/Fly @ :25

------------------
    3500 Yards and Feeling Good.
  15. I have "left" - 09/12/11

by , September 12th, 2011 at 10:04 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    I once heard a comedienne do a bit about how her husband complained that he had "right", meaning that everything on the right hurt - and that she knew how to fix it, but that it involved a baseball bat & would give him "left". Well, lately, I have "left" - my left elbow & knee are killing me lately - and I either broke one of the toes on my (left) foot, or seriously jammed it - it's a lovely shade of purple & does not like breast- stroke any more than my left knee does at the moment - nor does it like fins. So, I have left. I suppose it's better than having right & left, but still.
    This is the worst thing about being a "grown up" - something always seems to hurt. Suppose it beats the alternative.

Warm-up: 500 back/free; 500 pull locomotive
    9 x 100 - 25 fly, 75 free on 1:30
    100 easy
    500 kick locomotive (no toys)
    8 x 25 - drill, 4-cycle speed play & sprint on :30
    200 stretch out
    2000 steady state ( 2 x 800 - first one swim, second one pull, then 400 breast/free)

Total: 5000 SCY

*Commentary - we were supposed to do the 2000 steady state & keep our HR at 140-150 - and check it every 500 or so - don't know if it was due to my elbows or what, but the couple of times I checked it, it was a grand total of 100 - maybe 110. Guess that means holding 1:18/hundred is not a very challenging pace. (lol).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Monday Power Hour

by , September 12th, 2011 at 09:43 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Water still cool. No drag suit. Dave and Roger wore theirs so I had a rare day of coming in first on most sets. Straight through today... no breaks. Wasn't too bad though... plenty of free to stay ahead of the clock.

600 Warm up

6 x 100 - 1:20 (1:10s)
    6 x 100 - 1:40 (50 Pull/50 Kick)
    6 x 100 - 1:20 (1:10s)
    6 x 100 - 1:40 (50 Fly/ 50 Breast)
    6 x 100 - 1:20 (1:11s-1:12s)
    6 x 100 - 1:40 (Br Kick 1:33-1:35)
    100 - 1:40
    100 - 1:30
    100 - 1:20
    100 - 1:10 (1:05)

200 Cool down

(4800 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. A little tight from the weekend work

by , September 12th, 2011 at 08:24 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I probably could have warmed down better after the meet, but I had things to do. Wieghtlifting yesterday could also be a factor in why I felt tight.

10x100@1:40 Free holding 1:30's
    6x50@1:10 Free w/snorkle 25 kick/25 swim
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    400@6:00 Free w/paddles & bouy
    300@4:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy
    100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    4x50@1:30 from dive 20 yard sprints 30 yards easy
    100 Free EASY

Total 3100 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Sunday, Sept. 11

by , September 11th, 2011 at 10:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Was stuck at home mid-afternoon, so played around with my TRX:

TRX squat jumps, 3 x 15
    TRX standing roll outs (moving plank) 3 x 15
    TRX knee ins, 3 x 10
    TRX lateral barrier jumps (2 legs) 3 x 15
    TRX sprinter starts, 2 x 20
    TRX tricep extension, 3 x 15*
    TRX Y deltoid fly, 3 x 15

* In general, I haven't found that many TRX exercises that are great for the upper body
    (though I am still very novice). But I liked this one a lot and it really "worked" the core too.

Bikram, 90 minutes:

The class was surprisingly not very crowded. Hence, the heat was more bearable. Though I had really had enough by the last few postures. I would be oh so much happier if it were 75 minutes instead of 90. Balance was pretty sucky today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoyed my TRX workout. Still need to do some more googling and experimenting to find which exercises I like best.

The happy news of the day is that Mr. Fort easily got his BQ at the Lehigh Marathon. They had re-routed the course due to flooding and he said it was harder than Boston. Last year to qualify he ran a 3:32 on a flat course and then bonked in Boston and went 3:40. Today, with some injury free hard training, he ran a 3:27:54, 7+ minutes below the BQ for his age group (50-55) of 3:35. There is a new registration system for Boston that favors the fastest runners. The prognosticators apparently believe that running 3 minutes below the BQ will be sufficient to secure entry. So Mr. Fort should be safe. His Garmin went on the blink, so he was fortunate to have his training partner to pace him for 20 miles. He ran a 7:30 final mile, which was his fastest mile. Wow. But then he ended up in the medical tent on an IV. He's fine now and happy about the results. The marathon is on Monday April 16, about 10 days before Nationals start next year. Same weekend as Zones again, darn it.

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 12:13 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  19. WETSUITS....

The days are getting shorter, and the water is getting cooler. OW swimmers look upon this predictable change with mixed emotions.... the 2011 season is ending, but it is also an opportunity to prepare for 2012. There will be a short "optimal" window to get those long qualifying swims knocked off.... one less thing to have to squeeze into the early spring.

Some CIBBOWS swimmers will go for weekend swims all winter long, braving water temperatures into the low 30's. Yes the swims will be brief; measured in minutes, not hours, and warming time will exceed swim time by a large margin. Others, will fade from the OW for the comfort of a familiar pool. I will be primarily a member of the latter group, but my respect and admiration belong to the former. I would join them more often if only I lived closer to NYC.

It would be great to see a larger group commit to year round OW swimming in Brooklyn... even in rubber. I donned a wetsuit a couple of days ago... one that I have owned for a while but had never worn. What was the inspiration to suddenly don rubber? I was supporting some friends on a swim in Lake Memphremagog. I was aboard a pontoon boat, it was quite windy and getting cold... the temp dropped to the low 40's. Right out of the gate, a couple of waves soaked all the extra clothing I brought with me... by 2 AM, I was freezing, and the wetsuit seemed like the best option to keep me warm. It did, but additionally, it kept my arms and legs quite compressed, adding spring to my steps. I also noticed that the suit had textured forearms, no doubt to give a swimmer added purchase to every catch. All in all I would have to say it is a great design, promising added buoyancy, warmth, compression, a low coefficient of friction, and increased grip in the forearms. No one dares to claim that such equipment doesn't offer a huge advantage to its wearer, but there are many who expect wetsuited swims to carry the same weight as those done in traditional swim attire, sorry, they don't. So... how does this wetsuit swim? I don't know... I never got in the water.

The charge of "elitism" isn't quite accurate, its just calling it what it is... which is different than a swim done traditionally. In his essay http://www.icontact-archive.com/9BwG...HympOPZ9dU?w=2 , Scott Zoring makes the case that activities done while wearing a wetsuit shouldn't be called "swimming". Though I may not agree with the terms he has chosen, I do believe that there should be a distinction between traditional and assisted or aided swimming. Once again, it has nothing to do with elitism or excluding wetsuited persons from participation, but rather just creating clear categories so that we may choose who and what to follow based on our own interests and preferences.

Other sports have very specific terminology to describe the "style" by which one participates... take rock climbing: Free Climbing, Aid Climbing, Sport Climbing: are all different techniques. Generally speaking, it would be frowned upon if someone claimed to have climbed a route "Free" unless they had followed the rules of "Free Climbing", not to mention that it would be misleading to others who attempt the route with false information.

Thats all I'm going to say about it. Please check out:
    http://www.freshwaterswimmer.com/ and http://loneswimmer.com/2011/09/09/ch...suits-at-dawn/

for more on the subject.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Sprint Sunday 9/11/11 & weekly recap

by , September 11th, 2011 at 07:39 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today was another sprint/distance day at SMU outdoor pool, LCM

Bobby Patten, sprint
    Lianna McStravick, distance

Warm up:
    400 warm up

Transition set:
    8 x 50 25 swim/25 kick on 1:00

300 easy swim or pull

Main sets:
    5 x 100 on 2:20
    4 as 75 fast/25 easy (fly/back)
    1 easy recovery;

5 x 100 on 2:30
    4 as 50 fast /50 easy (fly/back)
    1 easy recovery;

5 x 100 on 2:20
    4 as 25 fast/75 easy (fly/back)
    1 easy recovery

Bonus for me:
    50 from the blocks (free)

50 swim back easy

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today I was really sore from doing my vasa in "endurance mode"; ie, trying to go 10 minutes but I stopped with 3:54 left on the watch. I did all the sprinty bits fly odds and back evens, you know it's a rough day when fly and back are easier than doing freestyle!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I also got a massage today, and walked for 25 minutes at White Rock Lake.

Then I did my vasa again; this time I only got to 3:30 before having to take a break, then did 30 strokes fly, another break, and then mustered the strength and willpower to do 3:30 free stroke for a total elapsed time of 10 minutes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Yesterday I swam on my own:

500 warm up
    200 easy kick

100 kick with shoes on the 1:00 per 25 base, attempting to keep the 25 pace up to the 100.

100 kick no shoes on the 1:00 per 25 base, attempting to kick really fast!

100 easy
    4 x 50 back/free continued recovery; rest 15 secs between each

lots of backstroke starts and several swims with 6-fast stroke cycles.

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I didn't really want to load up on the vasa all at once, but this week I am busy and probably won't get to do any drylands, so the only option was to do them 2 days in a row.

Mesa SCM meet in 2 weeks, that will be fun! I'm not particularly working through it but i'm not really resting for it either.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++j
    Tonight for dinner - Roti Grill, just as soon as Mark gets back from picking it up! Another day of my cooking that no Agee has to suffer. I'm having Lamb vindaloo, hot, Tx size, with naan bread. Yum!!!!!

Today's Sunday paper was chocked full of good coupons! It's soup coupon season! Helen loves those Campbell's soups. She says, Hot stuff for my lunch mommy!"
    Categories
    Uncategorized