View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Friday-Sunday

by , April 16th, 2012 at 01:55 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I did not swim Friday. Missed early lap swim and then left for Boise before the noon lap swim. Was going to go for a bike ride when I got to Boise but the weather didn't cooperate. So I guess Friday is rest and recovery day.

Saturday I went for a 20 mile ride with my coach and then we went to the pool for a short swim workout. Here's what I did:

300 swim free & back
    4 x 100 kick
    4 x 100 pull

1 x 200 back/3:30
    2 x 100 back/1:50
    4 x 50 back/1:00
    1 x 200 free/3:15
    1 x 100 free/1:40

100 easy

Total: 2100 yards

My legs really felt the bike ride while doing the back swims. My quads felt like they were going to cramp through the entire set.

Sunday: 38 mile bike ride with coach.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sat Apr 14, 2012 NITRO MEET

by , April 16th, 2012 at 11:54 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Apr 14, 2012 NITRO MEET

Entered Sharkfest Austin Swim - 1.5 miles
    my first open water swim since the mile swim at boyscout camp

Nitro Masters Open
    Entered: 4, 2 & 1 IM, 50 fr & 200 BR

reshaved Sat morn

had a good warm up,
    nice pool but cloudy water and dark building,
    edges had no lip to grip but the walls were grippy not slippy, no touch pads, hand timed not electronic, no splits

Warm Up
    swam easy free & did IM drills

Main Set

400 IM
    best this season was 4:34
    went 4:26.4
    teammates eye balled my splits and said they were about 59 68 77 61

had descent rest after the 4 IM, but felt fatigued

200 IM
    went 2:04.5
    best this season was 2:03.5

skipped 50 fr & 1 IM

200 BR
    went 2:26
    31 37 37 39
    felt pretty worn out after 2 & 4 IM

Tyler and I talk about which IM sequence is likely to be the fastest
    he thinks its BR FL FR BK
    I think it's FL BR FR BK

He went 54 in the 100 IM at zones and at the nitro meet did his 100 IM BR FL FR BK
    went 53.7
    The flip turn from FR to BK really helps and is much faster, of course he got deeked, I filmed the race on his IPHONE and after the start, I thought he's really kicking out far, but he was doing a breastroke pull out.

Swimmers should be able to select the stroke order in IMs

did not swim sunday
    need to start lifting weights again

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets (I'm considering)

Jul. 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE
    Order of Events

Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Zones Recap & conspiracy theories.

by , April 16th, 2012 at 11:29 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Had a blast at GMU with my buddies as usual. Special thanks to Fort for making Chez Wolfpack a den of smoothies, painkillers and vino. I really didn't get to see too many individual races as I was diligent in warming up or cooling down. I clocked some aesome relays however and a nice 100 FR showdown between James "Jimby" Thorpeton and Muppet.
    For a brief shining moment I had a new PR in the 50 BR of :31.33...after 2 corrections it was a :33.10--more on this later.

Saturday
    100 FR 28.66 59.73 (31.07) a touch off of my PR at :59.39 so I was very happy. I did a controlled 100 sprint and felt comfortable with it. I think I should do well at Nats on a full taper.

50 BR :33.1 I had a bad turn in this...or at least I thought so

200 BR 36.90 1:19.50 (42.60) 2:01.34 (41.84) 2:42.62 (41.28) Knocked a bit of the PR I set in Boston last month...very happy. The pressure to PR is off of me for this event at Nats, which is nice as it's the final event on my itinerary.

50 FL 31.97 um I had about 10:00 rest from the 200 BR on this I was stunned. I thought my time was 33.08 off the wall...I told the officials at the computer to check it b/c I didn't want a time that might be someone else's, and could be important for them.

Sat night movie, advil, and wine.

Sunday

100 IM 34.15 1:10.32 (36.17) My seed time was 1:08. A pure brain fart...I've not done anything near that without a tech suit. Hell I just do the 100 IM as a fun event.

100 BR
    33.29 1:11.83 (38.54) I was happy with this time at this meet at this point in taper. My PR is 1:11.39. I absolutley killed it in this race...hoping I can go even better at Nats. Note: 40-44 BR at Zones are phenomenal. I thought I did awesome and came DFL. 5/8 went sub 1:08 the other 3 of us all 1:11.x

50 FR
    27.33 a bit slow, as I was hoping to break :27 and was :27.06 at NEM last month. that said, I knew I was not kicking hard enough and I tried but I could not mentally stay on top of it...I wasn't ready after the 100 BR...even with a 40 min rest...the legs weren't where they needed to be. Outside of that I feel I executed the race with near technical perfection (for me), welt a little close on the turn and that caused me to push off to the right a bit...Nats to come!

50 BR time confusion. There were 2 reposts of results the 2nd one changing my time to a 33.1.
    So when I swam, I turned up to look at the clock and checked times.
    Lane 5 31.x
    Lane 6 33.1 (Me)

I thought I saw a 31 but was looking at lane 5. The timer told me it's a 33. This made sense based on the board as the guy in 5 was a body and a half, maybe 2 in front. I saw nobody peripherally to the right in 7.
    Results got posted, I had a :31.33 huge PB. They took them off and corrected them and re-posted me at :31.33. I saw them take them down AGAIN and asked at the table what was happening, they said the wrong times were going up on the scoreboard something like previous heats etc.

Net result, my 33:1 from the board stands, the guy to the left (Lane5) got a :29.x from a :31.x on the board (I do not believe he was 4 secs ahead). Also in the final results the guy to the right got a :32 meaning he had to finish ahead of me based on the final results yet I had no awareness of him in my periphery making me feel I was slightly ahead of him.

I'm imagining it you say and I just had a bad swim; the clock never lies. Yet when I took my 100 out in a :33.28, I was being conservative. All of this makes me wonder if the timing errors were truly fixed, or perhaps there was a third timer on the Grassy Knoll. Anyhow I have another swim left this year and I will use this as motivation fodder for Nats.

Updated April 16th, 2012 at 12:23 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. what happened to the pool?

by , April 16th, 2012 at 07:25 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Long course today with 1 foot of water missing. Cold p
    ool since they were adding water. On top of that I felt horid in the water could not move. I also had to dodge 4 other swimmers. Only one was my speed.

This is week 2 and I just have to remember that. I am telling myself the usual things I tell the kids I coach.

Have one last massage on friday.

500 free
    4x50@1:15 kick w/zoomers
    8x25@:45 no breathers couln't do more then 2
    100 EZ

4x50@1:45 torque drill no paddles
    100 EZ
    8x25@1:00 burst + cruise tried on fly big mistake was cutting stroke short
    100 EZ
    4x25@:45 shooters w/zoomers did good on these
    100 EZ
    50 AFAP free w/zoomers went 35
    150 EZ
    50 AFAP free w/zoomers went 35
    150 EZ

Total 2200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Colonies Zone meet report!

by , April 16th, 2012 at 01:39 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hi everyone i'm back home!!! All the flights were delayed but I got home ok.

I haven't been here for awhile and chose not to go to the Marriott's business center to get on the internet. There were too many things to do, like watch several loops of the hotel channel, read the Marriott Binder of Services, study the room service menu (then place order!), stash toilettries in my luggage, and arrange all 6 pillows plus 3 sham covered square pillow things for bedtime! I was completely encased in a warm pillow cocoon!

Overall, this meet is a total winner! I am completely enamoured with this meet, and as Arnold Schwarzenegger says, "I'll be back!"

I met lots of nice people! Swimshark really took me under her fin. She gave me the finer points of where to sit - No, not there, it gets wet and you are in Wheelchair Woman's space. We only sit here for distance day. Go to diving well area. No, not on that side of the diving well, this side. Yes, you can lay out your gushy yoga mat.

I also met Jim "The banana man" Thornton, Leslie, aka The "Impenatrable" Fortress, Jazz Hands (short for Jazz Hands, Chest, Shoulders, Biceps, and Triceps!), Sir "Speedy" Speedo (his nickname is "Pete"), plus others! Swimshark also pointed out taruky, but no, I didn't critique him in real life, either.

I missed the gridge! It seems kind of silly for me, though. There are so many fast people at this meet, so it seems odd to gridge one person when you've got more competition than you can see in this murky green water to worry about (I think I changed it into a verb). But i'm flattered that anyone would assume i'd be going 26! Well, I didn't really miss it, I just was in the one duking it out with the 27's and not the 26's with Fort and Fall. Hey, that sounds good! Fort and Fall! Crap! I even got beat in my own age group! That sucks!!! I won my age group in all other events! It's always a function of showin' up, and for others not showin' up! But first, you gotta show up!

Hey wait a minute!! I forgot to pick up my medals! But I didn't see anyone else getting theirs, so I guess that's why I forgot.

Here's how I did:

50 free (100 free split) 24.74
    50 breast 33.55
    100 back 1:03.18 (30.90 32.28)
    50 fly 27.21

1st day commentary: I was very pleased with my swims! Overall time was not my best, but still very strong times, considering my focus is P90X and to stay in good racing shape! I executed very well; 1/1 on both free/fly breath, and the 100 back was a test of whether I had conditioning (and speed). My spread was 1.38 seconds, so I think that's pretty good!

50 free (200 free split) 24.75
    50 back 29.37
    50 free 24.84 (zone record)
    200 back 2:24.05 (34.81, 37.23, 37.17, 34.84; 1:12.04, 1:12.01 holy crapola I negative split it!!)
    100 fly - scratch

2nd day commentary: I did nearly the same exact time in the 50 free! Here are my master's times: 25.1 24.7 24.7 24.7 24.8! My USA times this year were 24.4 24.6 24.9 24.9!

I felt really tired when I hit the water for the actual 50 free. By then it was my 7th event of the meet and I felt it all of a sudden! So I decided to put more effort into the 200 back and not do the 100 fly. I think I went too easy and I had a lot left at the end. I actually negative split it! I think next time I will try to press it harder at the beginning and then try and hold on. I only did dolphin kicks off the start, and went to all free UW kick after that. It really saved energy! I just made sure to still go strong and get my feet past the flags.

I got to see my cousins and came back with about 10 hand me down dresses for my girls!!! They came to the meet and watched my 50 free and 200 back. Since they were waiting, I just hurried and left without saying goodbyes, but I felt it wasn't really goodbye, since I'LL BE BACK!!!!!

PS. You DAMM men suck. I have to carry the weight for the whole team to our 29th place finish!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 10,000 yards yesterday

by , April 15th, 2012 at 08:27 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Today I got in and loosened up with a 27.5-minute swim (I only had half an hour in my schedule): 1500 SCY. Last Sunday I didn't get back in to loosen up after swimming 10-K on Saturday... and I think it makes a difference in recovery. I felt pretty sluggish all week. We'll see if this week's workouts are any crisper.

Yesterday I did 10,000 yards in 3:15.00. I didn't feel all that great, but just kept churning away. I convinced myself I was just going to do 6K earlier in the day and when I got there I thought, "eh, 9K is just one more hour in the water... why not?"; I got to 9K and it seemed silly not to do an extra 100 to round it up to 10,000 yards.

With Open Water season approaching and a couple of the USMS championships within driving distance (5K in Indiana; 10-mile in Minnesota), I'm trying to build some mental toughness on these long swims in the pool... it's not the same as open water (it's a little claustrophobic at this point), but my body and mind are getting used to being in the water for 3+ hours. And, now, 5K seems really short. So this is all good for confidence. Nonetheless, I can't wait to get into the lakes.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Zones, Day 2, April 15

by , April 15th, 2012 at 05:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I woke up this am still tired and with a sore shoulder. I made two immediate decisions:

1. I was scratching my individual events today. I had already decided not to swim the 100 IM, but added the 100 breast to the scrap heap as well. Nationals is 10 days away, I'm tired and there was no need to swim two 100s today. This is especially true since my shoulder/scapula aches after yesterday's sprints.

2. I won't swim the 50 free at Nationals. It's my 6th event anyway. I would rather stand on the 25.31 that I swam yesterday and was happy with. This is currently #1 in the event rankings and would have been AA last year. It will likely get knocked down a couple notches or so at Nationals with the very fast new 50 year olds. But that's fine. Freestyle is a very shoulder driven stroke; with my straight arm technique, there is even more torque on the shoulder. If I'm not swimming free at nationals, I can stop doing fast or AFAP 25 frees in practice and save the wear and tear. This seems like a no brainer. Happily, my 25.31 is faster than the 25.99 I swam leading off a relay at Zones last year.

So, I restricted my swims to two relays, going about 95% in each of them.

Mixed 200 free relay

Led off in 25.7 -- .4 worse than yesterday. I think it was mostly in the turn. I absolutely botched it. Pushed off way too deep and veered off to the side. My legs felt a bit like tassels as well. No matter, as I have the solid 25.31 time from yesterday. And our relay scored needed points. As I said yesterday, one year I would like to swim this race well rested. It always feels like a leftover after my other focus events or done on short rest.

Women's 200 medley relay

I swam the fly leg and split a 26.7. I was very pleased with this considering I was tired, went about 95% and took 3 breaths. (I only took 1 in the open race yesterday.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was supremely happy all day with my decisions, and got to watch a lot of other good races I just need to be smart, not greedy in these circumstances. And I did get some excellent start and turn practice with my 5 x 50s at this meet.

I do think the acupuncture & cupping helped last week as my shoulder/scapula felt pretty good on Friday. Right now, I am dreaming of ice, which I can't use with the PRP. But I have more body work scheduled this week. More importantly, I am shifting into major resting. Nothing more than a fast 25 or burst from here on out. My body is tired from months of HIT training and I need to rest rest rest and REST. I don't think I can get enough rest! And hopefully I can log some sleep.

I am still on a high about my 50 fly yesterday. That totally made my weekend. I can't wait to see the video. I feel like I've had such a good season. I just hope I can rest up and get mentally prepared for Nationals now. I've been feeling beat up lately and need to harness some excitement for the big show. Nursing these long term injuries seems to zap my mental energy. Maybe a case of the taper b*tchies will help.

I'm very proud of my Lil Fort. She ran a very fast 5K in Boston today on a hilly course by herself. (Previously, she's had Mr. Fort to pace her.) As for Mr. Fort, there is a heat advisory for the Boston Marathon tomorrow with a high of 90 expected. They are advising only the "most fit" to run and granting QT deferrals to run next year. Mr. Fort's training partner is abandoning hopes of PR-ing because he always cramps in heat. Mr. Fort is going to start out on pace and just see how he feels. It really sucks to train all that time and have ungodly heat in April, almost like getting sick for a taper meet or something.

I didn't get to say goodbye to Chowmi as I had to hang around for the very last relay. It was fantastic to meet her! And she swam really well. Her 200 back was impressive and she had a lot left the last 50.

I did get Speedo's 50 and 100 free, Jazz's 50 free and Chowmi's 50 free and will upload those shortly.

Updated April 15th, 2012 at 07:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  8. Zones, April 14

by , April 15th, 2012 at 09:17 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    200 mixed medley relay, 26.5:

We won the 18+ age group even with two geezers on the back half. I split a 26.5 on the fly leg. I was surprised by the split b/c I felt crummy in warm up (legs tired) and had horrible breakouts. (Jazz, Jimby and Pete all said it looked kinda crappy.) Not sure why the fatigue. I suppose it's partly due to the horrible sleep the last 10 days. It may also be allergies. My throat is sore and it's descending into my chest. Spring is tough for me, and I am hoping there's no downward spiral.

50 fly, PR/NR, 26.63

I had a couple hours before this event. Plenty of time to wake up some more and get mentally focused for the race. I wanted to execute better than on the relay, and I think I did. I felt like I had a quick start and my breakouts were clean. I probably could have stayed under longer on the second length. It was a fast heat with six women under 27.3. SwimShark filmed the race, and I will post the video later. I was extremely happy with the time, and so happy to get the NR now!!! 50 fly is the last day of Nationals, and I could be tired by then.

Women's 200 free relay, 25.31 lead off:

I only had about 20 minutes before the race, so I was still tired from fly. My diva sprinter body needs an hour+. I led off with a 25.31. Jazz said the race looked "tired." I felt a bit sloppy and inhaled a huge amount of water on my first breath. Still, that's a pretty solid time for me. I did put in a split request, and may rest on this time for the season. Maybe one season I'll work on this event. I can't remember the last time I swam it fresh.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today, I'm just swimming the 100 breast and 2 relays. I don't have a 100 IM in me. I'm not mentally into this meet with Nationals looming. My shoulder felt better Friday, but is sore this am from the free/fly sprinting.

It was great hanging out with my visiting buddies and getting to meet Chowmi. She swam well in every event yesterday!

Updated April 15th, 2012 at 06:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  9. Saturday, April 14, 2012 PNA Champs Results

by , April 14th, 2012 at 11:34 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This is going to be classified as my "meet of a lifetime." Definitely happy with this one, and it has to rank as my #1 or near #1 best masters meet.

I did a quick reshave (since I had 2 weeks of stubble growth) this morning before loading the two older kids in the car to come with me on the 3 hour trek across the mountains to the west side of Washington.

For meet warmups, I ended up being first one to touch the water after the official opening of warmups. (Sorry That Guy...you can't win them all...and no excuses about not even being there either ) I decided to do somewhat of the same warmup that I've been doing lately at practices.
    Did:
    1 x 100 Free, then found the paceclocks...
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (went 1:04, 1:02, 1:02, 1:00)
    I was a little shocked by these "warmup" 100s. It didn't even feel like I was putting out much effort to go this fast either. Maybe a good sign...
    Did about another 500 of strokework stuff, and 2 sprint 25 Flys off the blocks. Good to go...

400 IM - 4:30.27 - Masters best by 3+ seconds
    I just missed the LMSC age group record by 0.7 seconds (4:29.48) Dang! I should've had this record, and afterward I knew how I could've done it too! I was frustrated, even though it was a best time. Grrrrr....
    27.3 / 31.6 (58.9) Too slow...I didn't feel right
    36.3 / 35.6 (1:11.9) Blah, but about normal
    39.3 / 39.7 (1:19.0) surprised that Rick Colella had NOT caught me here
    30.9 / 29.4 (1:00.3) missed the turn at the 50...UGH!!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHNQLrpa90"]4-14-12 Federal Way, WA 400 SCY IM - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Back - 2:11.09 - Masters best by 4.8 seconds!
    Very unexpected greatness here. This was at most 16-17 minutes after my exit of the 400 IM swim (added times in the heat sheet) I think I had no expectations on the swim, and that's why it did so well.
    The results sheet was missing for the mens 200 Back on the wall, but I remember what KNelson got off the board:
    31.7 / 1:04.5 / 1:06.6 (2nd 100)
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfn0G0DcMhg"]4-14-12 Federal Way, WA 200 SCY Back - YouTube[/nomedia]

100 Breast - 1:07.10 - Masters best by 0.2 seconds
    worked my pullouts, and swam like hell. Made it to just past the 15 meter mark off the dive pullout (not that the 15 Meter rule matters in breaststroke)
    31.3 / 35.8 <-- Notice that my first 50 of Breast beat my first 50 of Back above
    This first 50 was also a 50 best time for me.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIy_YjMQuM"]4-14-12 Federal Way, WA 100 SCY Breast - YouTube[/nomedia]

50 Fly - 26.09 - Semi-Masters best by 0.1 seconds
    ** I've done a 25.8 with a full-leg CHEATER SUIT 2 years ago.
    I know how it feels to swim great and be crushed by almost 4 seconds in a 50!! I also missed the timing on the last stroke at the turn...possible could've broke 26
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRSTZcxpVj0"]4-14-12 Federal Way, WA 50 SCY Fly - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Free (FLY) - 2:04.60 - Masters best by 1.7 seconds, but I'll have to prove it again in the 200 Fly event!
    27.3 / 31.6 (58.9) / 32.7 / 32.9
    Very happy with this swim! Where did it come from as well? 5th event in the series and did great! I just love racing this in the 200 Free event, because I can get some good competition from the freestylers.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoOBFIhVHF0"]4-14-12 Federal Way, WA 200 Fly in the 200 Free event - YouTube[/nomedia]

Oh yeah...I also got out of Federal Way (PNA CHAMPS) with PNA Champs awards!! Thing is...I'm not part of PNA (from Inland NW LMSC), and I'm not supposed to be receiving points/awards in the meet. Oh well...mine now!

=============================

What to do now??, other than start kicking my @ss again in the pool in preparation for Canadian Nationals! ...and I do have 1 last chance at the 400 IM record in a USAS Distance Pentathalon next weekend in Spokane. UGH!

Updated April 14th, 2012 at 11:49 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  10. April 14, 2012

Warmup (1600)
    1 x 200 swim
    1 x 200 IM kick/drill by 25
    3 x 100 @ 1:45, 50 catchup / 50 swim
    3 x 100 @ 1:35, 25 catchup / 75 swim

Set I (600 / 1600)
    3 x 200 @ 3:15, descend

Set II - 5 x "6" (2250 / 3850)
    from [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20528"]Workout #2[/ame] of this week's High Volume Workouts.

5 x 100 @ 1:50, 1 x 50 @ :50
    4 x 100 @ 1:50, 2 x 50 @ :50
    3 x 100 @ 1:50, 3 x 50 @ :50
    2 x 100 @ 1:50, 4 x 50 @ :50
    1 x 100 @ 1:50, 5 x 50 @ :50
    50s are cruise, 100s are descend

Wrap-up (300 / 4000)
    3 x 50 @ 1:15 no-breather

* 4000 SCY *

I had lots of problems with leg and foot cramps when I started swimming again several months ago, but recently I have had almost none. I don't know what was different today, but my toes started curling under during warmup and it went downhill from there. At different times in the workout I had cramps in both calves, the arches of both feet, the muscles along my shins (first time for this cramp), and in the toes of both feet .

On top of that my arms are quite sore from weights and chin-ups yesterday, so this workout was not one of my best. I kept at it until the end, but probably only swam 3700 or so.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. My first loop of the season!

Last night I did Team New York’s monthly “test set” workout. It’s essentially a low-yardage, high-quality set: 7 x a choice of 50s, 100s, or 200s on a 7-minute interval, plus a short warmup and warmdown. Since I know I need to do more sprinting, I chose the 50s (also because they seemed like the most fun). The last time I did this workout I didn’t feel like I got enough warmup to go fast right away, so last night I went to my Y pool first and did a pre-warmup before heading over to the John Jay pool for the team workout. (They’re about a half-mile apart—and while using a separate warmup pool for a swim practice might sound a tad compulsive, at least I took off my swimcap for the walk between the two, so I didn’t look like a total swim geek ).

Here’s how the evening went:

1000 scy warmup (400s 200k 200p 200d/s)

2 x (4 x 50 @ :55, 1-3 desc., 4 easy)

.5 mile walk and stretch

250 easy swim

6 x 50 working turns

7 x 50 @ 7:00 [FL 35, FL/BK 35, BK 35, BK/BR 38, BR lost goggles on start!, FR 29, FR 29]

325 warmdown

It was a fun practice and I got to visit with lots of evening-swimming teammates whom I haven’t seen in a while. I was able to do about 100 warmdown in between each of the 50s. The times were something of a wakeup call—I obviously need to do more of this type of swimming!

The practice lasted until late (9pm). That’s usually my bedtime. I had trouble getting to sleep afterwards, but no trouble getting up this morning, because I was excited about going out to the beach. A warm sunny day was forecast, the water temp had been creeping upward during the week, and I was itching to do a 5k loop—my first of the season.

I arrived on the sand at around 11, and got to chat with my friend Caitlin before hopping in the water. One of my CIBBOWS pals was out doing a long swim, and had already been in for an hour and a half when I arrived! The water temp was 50 today (Cara’s official reading). It was a great day for swimming—sunny sky with a few clouds, only a slight breeze, and the water was amazingly clear.

Cara, Caitlin, and I set off in the direction of the pier. Getting in was a shock, but I soon felt smooth and comfortable as I stroked along. The water was very quiet today—I could narrow my focus to just the sound of my arms and my breathing. The current was strong against me on the way out, and it took awhile to get to the jetties, then getting from each one to the next felt like something of an accomplishment. Soon, though, I was even with the colorful walls of the aquarium, and then with the Wonder Wheel. The pier was getting nearer!

I could feel the warm sun on my back as I stroked along. I watched the seagulls perched on the rocky jetties as I swam by. Soon I was to the last jetty before the pier, so I stopped and took a moment to watch the rides at Coney Island whirl around. I could feel the cold seeping into me whenever I stopped, though, so I didn’t linger long before I turned and headed back.

The jetties seemed to whiz by on the return trip, and before I knew it I was back to where I started. My legs felt cold, and the soles of my feet very cold, but the rest of me felt comfortable, and I didn’t even think about stopping. I could see the white building that marked the other end of the 5k course clearly, and that’s where I headed. The water had some gentle movement to it, but its surface was smooth—it reminded me of old panes of glass that have waves and imperfections in them. It made for very easy swimming and sighting.

As I neared the big jetty I swam in a little closer—I had drifted out quite a bit—and I could once again see the sandy bottom very clearly beneath me. The water was a luminous green, and I was content and at peace as I let the water carry me onward. I felt very purposeful and confident—it was reassuring to know that all I had to do was keep stroking along, and eventually I would reach my goal. Life seemed very simple.

During my swim to the white building the water temp seemed to vary quite a bit. I could see Brad further out—he was the swimmer who was already in the water when I arrived—and I marveled at his ability to swim for hours on end in the cold. My feet were still feeling quite chilled, and I thought about how wonderful it would be to walk out of the water onto the warm sand when I was done.

At the white building I turned around and headed back. As always happens at this point in the swim, I felt re-energized—almost done! Swimming against the current once again, I moved in as close to shore as the jetties and pilings would allow. On the way in I saw a couple of mating horseshoe crabs near the long jetty, and one solitary spider crab crawling along the bottom. About 100m from the end of my swim, in about 5 feet of water, a skate passed directly under me! It was tan and subtly speckled and blended in well with the sand, but I could see its wings undulating gently as it swam along.

I finished my swim in 1h35m, and quickly changed out of my suit. The sand was nice and toasty, so once I was dressed I lay directly down on it to warm up. I chatted with my CIBBOWS pals and drank hot chocolate, and life seemed really really good. I was happy to get in my loop, and happy to have enjoyed another beautiful day at the beach!

Good luck to everyone competing in all the meets going on this weekend!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. saturday speed workout or was it?

by , April 14th, 2012 at 12:14 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Had a deep tissue massage yesterday, it felt so good but boy does it take time to get out of my system. I was hurting today.

400 free

4x thru the 25 and 50 are each stroke IM order
    25@:45 kick
    50@1:30 swim
    100@2:00 IM went 1:33 on last one
    50 EZ

Speed sets
    3x(5x50 w/zoomers) @1:30
    Round 1 free 6/7/8/9/10 fast strokes + cruise
    Round 2 kick dolphin kick as far as possible under water made last one just barely they easy free
    Round 3 fly/free 6/7/8/9/10 fast fly strokes then easy free
    50 EZ between rounds
    Focus on breakouts

100 EZ

50 fast free @ 85-90% 100 pace went 33 but it felt 100%
    150 EZ

50 kick AFAP dolphin on back went 1:08
    150 EZ

6x50 from block first 2 as 25 fly AFAP/25 free EZ
    Last 6 as just 2 stroke breakouts then EZ
    My fly felt off and I came up half a stroke short each time, also did not feel like I had a good reach

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 04.14.12 - Saturday workout

by , April 14th, 2012 at 09:11 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at Hsv Nat with Dave x 2, Howard, Bob x 2, Sally and George. Pool temp ~84.

SCY

500 Warm up

50 Kick / 50 Free
    100 Kick / 100 IM
    150 Kick / 150 Free
    200 Kick / 200 IM
    200 Reverse IM / 200 Pull
    150 Free / 150 Pull
    100 Reverse IM / 100 Pull
    50 Free / 50 Pull

3 Times through (Fly/Bk/Br):
    * 200 Free
    * 100 IM
    * 4 x 50 Stroke - 1:00
    200 Free
    100 IM
    8 x 25 Free - :30
    200 Free
    100 IM
    8 x 25 IM Order - :30

100 Cool down

(5100 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Friday 4/13/12

Friday 4/13

PM only SCY (Friday Fly Day)

600 (200 swim/100 fly kick on side)
    12x50 @ 1:00
    #1- fly kick
    #2- fly drill
    #3- free swim build to fast

9x200
    3 @ 2:30 D1-3
    2 @ 2:25 D1-2
    4 @ 2:20 hold low red HR (2:05, 2:06, 2:06, 2:04, 25/10)

13x100
    3 @ 1:45 (50 fly kick/50 fly drill)
    3 @ 1:15 STRONG free (:59, 1:00, :59)
    3 @ 1:45 (50 fly kick, 50 fly swim fast)
    4 @ 1:15 STRONG free (1:00, 1:01, 1:00, :59)

100 EZ

12x75 @ 1:30
    #1- 25 FAST fly/50 smooth free
    #2- 50 FAST fly/25 smooth free
    #3- 75 smooth free
    #4- 75 FAST fly (:42, :42, :43)

100 EZ

Total: 5400
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Surgeries #3 & 4 - Left Arm 04/13/12

by , April 13th, 2012 at 07:29 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Left arm done & still numb as can be! So glad this is over. Swam 4 times this week. Wed (am) was GREAT! but I guess I overdid it, the right arm was really tired after Thurs (lunch time) - almost didn't go to the pool this morning, super boy home with N/V/D & thought maybe I should rest the arm, but I gave it a go anyway, had some very uncomfortable twinges in the elbow, and went very easy & just finished the warm up. Reported to hospital at 9:30, home by 5pm. Won't be able to get back to the pool for about a week & a half this time due to various work & family things.
    Superboy got his mission call yesterday! - he'll be serving in the Belgium/Netherlands Mission. He's super excited & we are very happy for him. Doesn't leave until August though, so we've still got the summer together before he's gone for 2 years.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Friday, April 13

by , April 13th, 2012 at 05:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    1000 EZ
    More hot tubing than swimming

Feed Jimby

Stretching and rehab on GMU pool deck with SwimmieAvsFan

Big hugs with Chowmi!!!!

Preparing to count for crazy distance swimmers.

Mega chatting
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. April 13, 2012

Warmup (1400)
    1 x 200 swim
    1 x 200 IM kick/drill by 25
    4 x 100 @ 1:45, DPS
    4 x 100 @ 1:35, descend

8 x 25 @ :30
    2 x
    • #1 = Distance per stroke
    • #2 = ½ lap fast – ½ lap easy
    • #3 = ½ lap easy – ½ lap fast
    • #4 = AFAP

Set I - Race Pace 500s (1600 / 3000)
    5 x 100 @ 1:45 (target 1:14, went 1:12 - 1:14)
    6 x 50, 2 @ :50, 2 @ :55, 2 @ 1:00, active recovery

4 x 125 @ 2:15 (target 1:33, went 1:32 - 1:35)
    6 x 50, 2 @ :50, 2 @ :55, 2 @ 1:00, active recovery

Wrap-up (300 / 3300)
    6 x 50 @ 1:15 no-breather

* 3300 *

Set 1 take from High Volume Workouts [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20528"]Workout #4 = Race Pace 500s[/ame].

Updated April 14th, 2012 at 10:33 AM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. April 11, 2012

Warm-up (1500)
    1 x 300: reverse IM, drill-kick-swim

10 x 75 @ 1:15 - build to a fast turn, fast 2nd lap to a fast turn, cruise the 3rd lap.

5 x 50 @ :45, descend to target 500 (:36/:37)

8 x 25 @ :30
    2 x
    • #1 = Distance per stroke
    • #2 = ½ lap fast – ½ lap easy
    • #3 = ½ lap easy – ½ lap fast
    • #4 = AFAP

Set I - broken 1650 (1950 / 3450)
    3 x
    • 3 x 50 @ :50 (target :38)
    • 2 x 100 @ 1:45 (target 1:16)
    • 1 x 150 @ 2:35 (target 1:54)

3 x 50 @ :50 (target :38)

6 x 50 active recovery, 2 @ :45, 2 @ :50, 2 @ :55

Wrap-up (700 / 4150)
    3 x 100 @ 2:00 back, descend 1 - 3
    250 easy pull

* 4000 *

Modified slightly from High Volume Workouts [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20528"]Workout #1 = Broken 1500 / 1650[/ame].
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. April 9 - Mountain View Masters

Warm-up (1000)
    400 various
    3 x 200
    #1 swim, every 3rd length non-free
    #2 100 swim + 100 kick
    #3 swim non-free

Set I (2550 / 3550)
    400 free moderate
    2 x 200 IM @ ?
    4 x 100 non-free fast @ ?
    3 x 50 @ :40, :45, :50

200 free moderate
    2 x 100 IM @ ?
    4 x 50 non-free faster @ ?

100 free moderate
    2 x 50 non-free @ ?
    4 x 25 fastest @ ?

100 easy

* 3650 *

For this week's sampling of the masters teams within a short drive from my office, I swam with the Mountain View Masters Swim and Social Club. On Tuesday they have two morning workouts, 5:30 - 6:45 and 6:45 - 8:00. I planned to go to the earlier practice but Mountain View is a 50 minute drive (that time of day) and I didn't get to bed until 11:00, so when the alarm went off at 4:15 I decided to sleep a bit more and hit the second one.

Tuesday is "Speed work, mixed stroke". I enjoyed the workout, although the the mental math required for the intervals really threw me. When I write up my own workouts I calculate the intervals before hand so they are listed on my printout, so "2 x 100 fast c+15" had me flummoxed! I ended up leading the "1:25 base interval" lane, but luckily the other guys didn't mind that I just went at the same time as the person leading the 1:20 lane.

Updated April 13th, 2012 at 05:29 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. FAST FRI Apr 13, 2012

by , April 13th, 2012 at 01:08 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Apr 13, 2012

got stuck at a train crossing this morning & it was moving slow at first then gained speed, but it had a lot of cars

I got the Nitro Masters Open tomorrow Sat Apr 14th
    Entered: 4, 2 & 1 IM, 50 fr & 200 BR
    might skip the 50 fr, & or the 2 br & or the 1 IM, we'll see,
    plan to reshave tonight and take it easy

Whitney Coached LCM & scy
    5:00 - 6:30 dove in at 5:11
    started in the main pool LCM then at 6:00 am we moved to the diving well SCY
    swam with Joe & Tara
    beside: Tyler, Todd, Traci, David, & Larry

Warm Up
    swam easy free
    went 900 or 1000

Main Set

Assigned: 800 FR fast for time on 18:00
    Did: 400 FR (LCM) easy speed around 87% effort
    went 4:59 then rested on the wall for 40 sec then swam 400 fr easy

Assigned: 400 FR fast for time on 10:00
    Did: 200 FR (LCM) easy speed around 87% effort
    went 2:23 then rested on the wall for 30 sec then swam 200 fr easy