View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Friday, Sept. 30, 2011 5:00am

by , September 30th, 2011 at 10:29 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Last night I decided to pull out my bike and go for a ride around "The Loop". The cities have made a recreational paved path along the two sides of the Columbia River, and crosses both ends on the bridges. Total distance for the loop is about 10 miles. Adding the 1 mile each way to the loop from where I started/ended makes ~12 miles. (That Guy, did I do my math right??). 40 minutes to complete the ride, and a hell of a hill climb on the last mile back up from the river's edge to the school where my daughter was doing her soccer practice. Felt good overall, though my knees and lower back feel a little sore this morning. I'll have to continue riding as much as the weather allows for it. Snow will be here in a month and a half or so.

Friday am:
    Warmup:

300 Free
    200 Kick on back
    300 Free Pull

2 x 150 Free @ 2:00 (1:45s)
    2 x 50 Fly @ :50
    2 x 150 Free @ 2:00 (1:43s)
    2 x 50 Back @ :50
    2 x 150 Free @ 2:00 (1:42/1:41)
    2 x 50 Breast @ :50

2 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:10 (1:03/1:05)
    2 x 75 Free Pull @ :55
    2 x 50 Free Pull @ :40
    2 x 25 Free Pull @ :20
    made all these intervals pretty easily

8 x 50 Back @ :50 (held :38-41) working on trying to keep my arms moving at fast tempo (hard to do), still can't seem to get my kick going on backstroke, and I'm sure this is my downfall. I'm sure a faster continuous kick would in turn speed up my arm turnover, but I'm a freestyler/flyer so

100 Free EZ

200 Kick w/ board

----------------
    3200 Yards
  2. Friday 9/30/11

by , September 30th, 2011 at 10:22 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Warm Up
    600 FR
    5 x 100 K 3:00 worked on feel and ankle movement.
    100 EZ

IM set
    2 x 400 IM Drill-Swim by 50
    1 x 100 IM

FR set
    10 x 100 1:40 1&3 1st 25 fast, 2&4 4th 25 fast, 5 1st and 4th 25 fast (twice through).
    I went over my interval on #7 so had to force myself to make up the time...which I did.
    100 EZCool
    500 Fin Kick FR/FLY by 50 moderate worked ankles
    300 EZ
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 500 Miles!

by , September 30th, 2011 at 09:03 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Made 500 miles for GTD as of today. Good thing too as my swim suit isn't going to hold up much longer. A new one is much needed.

Swam w/ Dave B, Dave M, Roger and Kent. Power hour format with breaks each 1000 yards. It's Friday so everyone chipped in their "favorite" set. Pool temp about 84. No drag suit.

Dave B's set
    50 Stroke/50 Free - 1:30
    200 IM - 3:00

I alternated fly and breast for the stroke. Came in about 1:25 for stroke/free and 2:50-2:55 for the IMs.

My set
    10 x 100 on 1:50, 1:45, 1:35, 1:30, 1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:15, 1:10
    1 - 5: Convert Kick to Stroke
    6-10: Convert Stroke to Free
    50 Easy

Chose back for my stroke. Squeaked out a 1:10 on the last one. I don't usually do a lot of back stroke so this was a struggle.

Kent's Set
    3 x 100 Pull - 1:20 Descend (1:15-1:10)
    :30 Rest
    3 x 100 Pull - 1:20 Descend (1:15-1:10)
    3 x 100 Pull - 1:20 Descend (1:15-1:07)
    100 Pull Timed (1:03)
    50 Easy

Dave M's Set
    5 x 200 - 3:00 Convert 200 Free to 200 Fly

Did better than I thought I would. Barely made number 4. After that, I turned into a vertical plow. Finished the 200 fly on 3:15.

200 Cool down

(4700 total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Long Course Fridays

by , September 30th, 2011 at 08:42 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Great workout today even though it was hard to move. Just very tight from all the work I have been doing and the weightlifting.

1000 Free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1@:10R
    500 Free kick w/fins moderate pace
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick on back/50 sprint went 3:36, 3:26, 3:24, 3:18, 3:10
    8x50@:15R Free w/snorkle 15 meters kick/20 meters hold kick but add arms/15 meters kick (purpose is to learn to kick while swimming free and coordinate it better)
    100 Free EASY

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Feeling better (finally) - 09/30/11

by , September 30th, 2011 at 08:17 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Wow, it's hard to believe tomorrow is Oct 1st - it's really officially Autumn now. It was 93 F yesterday afternoon here in Tallahassee. Pool temps have been ridiculous. I am finally feeling better - have had a crick in my neck & aching joints for several days now. My elbows are still quite tender, but that's partly my fault for not taking the Celebrex. Oh how I miss Vioxx!! Hopefully, in a week, I'll be back to my usual self. In deference to my joints, I will refrain from swimming this weekend, and then hope to swim M-F next week, and thereafter.

600 back/free
    2 x 300 pull no paddles
    3 x 200 IM twitch
    10 x 100 pull on 1:20 (#8 was on 1:25 'cuz I lost my pull bouy)
    100 EZ
    8 x 100 kick on 2:00 - did last 4 w/zoomers
    4 x 4 cycle speedplay on :25
    100 EZ
    8 x thru: 25 drill, 2 x 25 4 cycle, 50 on :50 desc 1-4
    (first 4 free, last four breast)
    500 75 free, 25 breast

Total: 5400
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Getting Ready

This week I have been getting ready for Saturdayís Ederle Swim. Itís a 17.5 mile journey from Sandy Hook, NJ to Lower Manhattan. This will be the sixth year that NYCSwim has run this event, and over the years the difficulty of the race has really variedósome years fewer than half the field have been able to complete the swim, in others most or all have finished. This year the race will be held earlier in the season, and water temps will be significantly warmer than in previous yearsóIím expecting around 70óso that should make the swim somewhat easier. But there could still be difficult currents, rough water, and boat traffic that make the swim challengingóthat plus the fact that itís over 17 miles long! I hope Iíll be able to finish, but no matter what happens Iím sure I will learn a lot and be happy for the chance to swim along an amazing and historic course.

This year the race is scheduled to start in New Jersey and end up in Manhattan for the first time everóusually itís held in the reverse direction. The field of 20 swimmers includes many friends from the city and beyond, including Evmo from the forums. Iím looking forward to being out on the water with so many people I know. Dave and Clare will be crewing for me, and itís reassuring that Iíll have them close by on the boat. Iím also looking forward to working with my kayaker, Vlad, who knows the course well. I feel like everything is in place to make my swim go as well as it can, now it just depends on what the weather and water gods send our way on Saturday, and how well I can respond to those conditions. The forecast seems to change radically every time I lookóright now Iím just hoping that the course doesnít get changed to the reverse direction at the last minute (that has happened in previous years when they tried to run the swim south-to-north), and that the race doesnít get interrupted or called for lightning.

Swimmers will start in 5 groups; mine is scheduled to splash at around 7:40am eastern time. The kayaks that accompany each swimmer are equipped with GPS trackingóthere should be a link to follow swimmers here.

One cool thing: I was looking over my blog from last year, and it turns out that Saturdayís race will be exactly a year from the day I decided that I would focus my attention on open-water swimming. Of course, then I thought that would only last for a month or so . . . I guess I got a little addicted! I feel like Iíve done so much and learned so much over the last year.

My workouts this week have been a little boringóIíve been doing easy FR sets with progressively less yardage. Far more exciting than anything Iíve done in the pool was the boat ride I was on yesterday. For the second time in as many weeks, I got to crew for one of my open-water heroes who was swimming around Manhattan. This week it was Rondi Davies, who along with Ollie Wilkinson was attempting to break the record for circling the island. The currents were really fast, and it was a nail-biter up until the end. Rondi came in at 5:44:47, just under the old record of 5:45:25. But she only held the record for a few minutes, as Ollie, who had started about 11 minutes after her, subsequently posted a time of 5:44:02. Whew! It was thrilling to see two such fast and determined athletes going after the record, and a complete joy to see each of them swim so well and so strong over the course of so many hours. Amazing! It was a very cool experience to be a part of right before my own last swim of the season.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Your mindset

by , September 29th, 2011 at 10:28 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today's post is to reinforce your state of mind. I think it is often overlooked and we tend to focus on the physical training, recovery, and nutrition much more. Heck, I even blog about my couponing and other totally random thoughts more than what I am actually thinking about swimming. And most comments are reactionary - just commenting on what I thought on what set I already did.

So today i'm going to jot down some things that help put me in the right frame of mind. And that is very hard to do, given that I am doing something no one else on a daily basis is doing, and while there is support, there is no one but me to follow through day after day, both physically, but also mentally to stay "tough" and "on track".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

50% of swimmers will look at what you do like you just grew another head or laid a golden egg- they can't even fathom what you are trying to do;
    the next 25% will acknowledge it but won't do it for a myriad of reasons;
    the next 20% will to varying degrees of success do what you are doing;
    and the last 5% are doing it better than you.

Strive for the top 95th percentile. Or higher!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was preparing my girls for the Talented & Gifted Magnet school. We are so proud they got in. There are 4 measures: GPA, standardized test score (ITBS), on-site essay, and the NNAT (nonverbal test). 66 slots for 4th grade. From our girls' feeder school and the quandrant of the school district, it is the most difficult and most competitive group. Even kids that were in their school's magnet program, scored over 95th blended ITBS, and 95 GPA average in core subjects did not get in. (Slightly off topic but so irksome i'm going to blog it! Neither of our girls got into their feeder school magnet program. They were recommended to test (not by us) every year, twice a year. Finally after another rejection letter, we went in to visit with the tag teacher. One of the key failing factors was the parent survey. We flunked. Mark demanded that he and I "retest". They refused. After that, we refused to complete the required parent survey. Our girls didn't test again.)

In the end, it comes down to one night, one essay, and one pick-the-pattern test that determines whether you are labeled a TAG kid or not.

I just need one race to join the 23 club. There is no award for could have, would have, should have. It's not about deserving, it's about earning it on race day.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once they got in, I told them:

At Travis, everyone will be just as smart as you. But everyone will have strengths and weakinesses. Out of 20 new things, 10 will come easily. Just like at your feeder school, you will immediately get the concept with no effort. The next 5 things will take a bit of thinking about and some work, but not terrribly difficult. The last 5 things will be way over your head. It will frustrate you because everyone else "gets it". You will have to work twice as long and twice as hard just to score in the middle of the pack. How you handle yourself over these 5 things will be the most important things you learn, because it will test you and help define you as a person. You will learn how to study, and undertand what hard work really is like, because you've never had to work this hard. It also teaches you coping skils and the power to endure difficult situations.

That is the same with swimming. If I want to go 23.99, then I have to do the things that are really hard for me, that are the most deficient. And perhaps it is exactly because of this that I have been taking great offense to "sprinter jabs" of late, because no one seems to realize how hard kicking with fins is for me (when I started, I was slower with fins than without), but with what I think is the right track, I refused to accept that anymore and said to myself, I know this is going to be harder for me than most of my competiors, but it is not impossible! I accept that I have to work harder at it to even just be at the 50th percentile of fin kicking against my peer group.

24.1 2008
    24.1 2009
    24.4 2010
    24.2 2011

It is TIME FOR 23.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Masters coaches are the best. Most will help you as much as you help youself. I suppose they are also very patient, because they understand you swim around your life, and not swimming first.

The untapped potential for many swimmers is they don't engage their coaches enough in their lives, and other goals. You cannot have an effective coach if they have no idea idea whether you have kids or not, whether you are married, and a general understanding of what you do for a living (and the toll on your energy & time) or other elements that impact the time and energy on your swimming. But it is YOUR responsibility to talk with your coach.

And swimming should be collaborative at our age. You have a voice and can articulate things on an adult to adult level with coaches. There is always the respect for the coach's position, but you aren't taking orders like an age grouper or even a college coach.

Coaches WANT to help. It must get boring for them too, to give one bland one-size-fits-all workout to everyone. But here comes a swimmer on deck with a real goal and sense of urgency, wants your help to do things differently, a real challenge of a situation, and as a coach, that enthusisam and working towards that dream is something refreshing and fun and why you like coaching! At least, that's what i'd like to think as the swimmer! So share your dreams with your coach, and give feedback and updates. Relationships are not one way, and you have to take the initiative to engage your coach.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In some ways, you have all the time in the world! And in others, you have none. Just make sure if you have a specific goal, that you do things in the right category!

For instance, i've been in the low 24's for many years. Too many years! In case you haven't heard, just in case you missed it above, ppsst! I'm going for 23.99! Yeah!

Now, I have all the time in the world to try different things. There is no limit such as "If I don't go 23.99 by 2012 season, i'm quitting!". I believe I can go 23.99. Going 24 again this season or next won't devastate me, won't discourage me, won't change my belief, even if you showed me statistial
    evidence to the contrary. I believe I can! So in some things, don't limit your time frame. If and when I do go 23.99, it does not mean I could have skipped years 2008 through 2011. It means the cumulative time was a required element to going my goal time.

However, I have a sense of urgency within a practice to not lose that opportunity. The clock is ticking, and every set should have a direct tie, a direct impact as if you could "connect the dots" from that set to my 23.99.

I need practice on this. I just blew a 4 x 150 crappy kick set yesterday. I would have gotten more out of 4 x 25's all out.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, that's all for now!

Random craving: I am totally into "natural peanut butter", and it has to be the kind that is refrigerated and you stir up. It tastes so good!!! On really fresh bread, yum.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Thu Sep 29th, 2011 SCY

by , September 29th, 2011 at 07:37 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Sep 29th, 2011 SCY

Trained Wed Sept 28 at 5:00 am but didn't blog
    swam with Todd, Tyler and Chris
    didn't do that well on the Main set, didn't feel so hot and struggled with intervals I usually make

Main Set: Started LCM
    4 x 200 fr on 2:45
    4 x 50 fl on 1:00
    3 x 200 fr on 2:40 barely made
    4 x 50 bk on 1:00
    2 x 200 fr on 2:35 missed
    moved to SCY at 6:00 am
    4 x 50 br on 1:00
    200 fr strong
    don't remember the rest

I'm gonna get back to speed & strength training

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool scy
    6:30 to 8:00 dove in at 6:39
    wore Jammer
    swam with Todd
    beside Tyler, Marcio who's back from a 20 day trip, Larry, & James Fike

WARM UP
    did around 400 and stopped at 6:45

Main SET: scy

9 x 100 fr 90% effort hold same pace
    3 on 2:30
    3 on 2:15
    3 on 2:00
    from a push held 1:02's & 3's

Snake 550 done 25 fr 25 fl dr
    Snake 550 done 25 fr 25 br

9 x 100 fr 90% effort hold same pace
    3 on 2:30
    3 on 2:15
    3 on 2:00
    from a dive held :59's & 60's

500 easy done 50 fr 50 k

3:00 pm today I dropped by and watched some of the UT Men Orange & White Meet
    some decent swims

Upcoming Meets

Sat Nov 12 - Sun 13, 2011
    2011 WMST November SCM Classic

Sat Dec 3rd & Sun Dec 4th
    2011 South Central SCM Regional InvitationalSan Antonio, TX

Updated September 29th, 2011 at 07:42 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Thursday, Sept. 29

by , September 29th, 2011 at 07:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kick on bosu, 100
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15

HS hi row, 105 x 3 x 20
    assisted dips w/20 assist, 13, 12
    DB bench press, 60 x 3 x 12
    deadlift singles, warm ups to 145, then 150 x 5, 145 x 3

altitude drops, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    standing track start jumps, 10
    squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 10
    med ball slams 5:00+
    handstands, 15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling a twinge at the very top of my left quad after that. Maybe I did it on the deadifts? Hoping it won't interfere with starts tomorrow. Trying the foam roller.

Someone at the gym remarked that I do not have "swimmer legs." lol I guess the public perception of swimming coincides with many masters' dislike of kicking.
  10. Thursday, 9/29/11

by , September 29th, 2011 at 04:28 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Another good swim n the outdoor pool today. Felt really good.

SCM
    Warm up (400)
    400 choice
    - swam back and free

Kick (600)
    1 x 200/5:00 strong build
    - flutter with snorkel and board, went 4:30
    4 x 50/1:15
    - on back, was going 1:07-8
    1 x 200 strong build
    - flutter with snorkel and board, went 4:30

100 easy swim

Pull (500)
    w/buoy and catch paddles,
    2 x
    150free/2:30
    - went 2:15 both times
    2 x 50 back on 1:00
    - 48-50 on all

Main Set: (1300)
    2 x
    250 IM plus 50 free/5:00
    - went 4:25, 4:22
    2 x 100 free/1:40
    - 1st round went 1:29, 1:30, 2nd went 1:28 both times
    4 x 50/1:00 1 easy, 2 fast, 1 easy
    - 50 on easy ones, 40-41 on fast ones

Warm down
    100 easy free

Total: 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/30/11

by , September 29th, 2011 at 02:01 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    We will be swimming LCM today and taking it fairly easy in preparation for our oW race on Saturday.

LCM
    1 X 200 3:45 3:30
    2 X 150 2:45 2:30
    4 X 50 1:00 1:00
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 300 kick
    1 X 100 swim

7 X 100 2:20 choice
    Swim them 75 fast/25 easy
    #7 is 100 easy

6 X 50 1:20
    Build to fast, all choice.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3000M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Predictor Set Day

by , September 29th, 2011 at 01:40 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Well... today was a happy predictor set. I knew that going in and my legs were pretty beat after doing the kick against the wall, flip turn, 50 on :50 set. So... overall I was pretty happy with holding a :36-:37 average. I never went up to :38 and went down a few times to :35. Decent, but I've decided that I should lay off the biking until after next weekend's meet is over. Swimming and biking is taking its toll on my thigh and calf muscles. Recovery before the meet sounds like a great idea.

As for today's workout, here's what we did:
    300 Warm-Up
    4 sets:
    - 1 x 50 Human Stroke Drill / Free on 1:10
    - 1 x 50 Tarzan Drill / Free on 1:10
    6 sets:
    - 1 x :20 Kick against wall

- 1 x 50 Free on :50
    8 x 25 Free on :30, odd: Hard/EZ, even: EZ/Hard
    20 x 50 Free Predictor Set on 1:30 (hold best average)
    1 x 300 25 Drill / 75 Free recovery on 5:00
    300 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 2800 (plus 1:20 kicking against wall)

I'm pretty sure that tomorrow will be an IM day, since we've been pretty IM crazy lately and haven't done much stroke this week. I'll check in and let you know how it goes.

Enjoy your swims!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Quick solo workout

by , September 29th, 2011 at 09:54 AM (Random Nonsense)
    SCM @ Lifetime

Warm up
    - 10x 75 free 25 back
    -- that little tiny breast stroke kick muscle is a little sore during breast kick, so I did all back instead of a mix
    Main Set
    - 500 free (6:36)
    - 4x 100 free on 2:00 (I can't remember )
    - 4x 100 back on 2:00 (1:32, 1:30, 1:28, 1:27)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

Lifetime is starting back up with their masters team from 5:30 to 6:30 which is why this workout was so short, and why I won't be getting in 5k workouts during the week They are not so much a team as an adult learn to swim class, so joining them isn't an option.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Thursday workout

by , September 29th, 2011 at 09:27 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave M and my son. Pool temp at a surprisingly reasonable 84 this morning. No drag suit. Pool mostly empty so we each had our own lane. Took it kind of easy today. Lots of rest. 1:10s were a little tough but there was plenty of recovery to make all of them. Tomorrow, I should hit 500 miles on the year!

SCY

450 Warm up

6 x 50 - :45

8 times through
    * 100 fr - 1:10 (1:05-1:07)
    * 50 k - 1:10
    * 2 x 50 Pull - :50

100 Easy
    400 IM Kick (7:20)
    100 Easy

400 IM - 6:00 (5:33)

300 Cool down

(4000 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Blah day - 09/28/11

by , September 29th, 2011 at 08:23 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Woke up feeling very achy this morning - my elbows hurt, my neck had a "Crick" in it & then the water felt really hot - even though the thermometer said 81 - I felt like I was boiling. Must be fighting a virus - even felt poorly the rest of the day with abdominal cramps & continued achy neck & elbows.

500 back/free
    400 reverse IM
    10 x 50 kick on 1:00
    6 x 200 pull on 2:50 no paddles working on stroke
    4 x 100 fly with fins on 1:30 (proud of myself for doing this)
    400 kick
    12 x 100 on 1:20 (I got out after 3)
    2 x 100 cool down

Total: 3900
    We'll have to make up the yardage & quality tomorrow when I'm feeling better.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. KICK IT UP! Not alot of yardage but...

by , September 29th, 2011 at 07:26 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My shoulders were sore from the weightlifting Tuesday and the tough swim yesterday. So I decided to give my arms a rest today.

500 Free every 4th lap kick on back streamline
    5x100@2:30 Free as 25 rt arm/25 lt arm/25 kick on back/50 swim
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    500 Free kick w/fins as 25 easy/25 moderate/25 fast
    100 Free kick w/snorkle
    12x25@1:00 Free kick w/snorkle odds Fast evens easy on the fast ones went 29, 27, 26, 26, 25, 25
    100 Free EASY

It is tough get much yardage in when you are a temporary slow kicker. Hopefully I will be much faster soon.

Total 2500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Wed., Sept. 28

by , September 28th, 2011 at 07:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    6 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 scull
    4 x 25 burst + cruise

Main Sets:

6 x broken 100s + 150 EZ @ 5:00
    -- @ 100 race pace
    -- broken at 25s for :15

1-3 backstroke, no fins
    -- went 1:05s on all three
    -- 16, 16, 16, 17 on the 25s
    -- 14, 13, 13, 12 kicks off walls

4-6 fly w/fins
    -- went :56 (too cautious), 52, high 51
    -- splits: #4, all 14s; #5, all 13s, #6 12, 13, 13, 13
    -- fly felt strong and smooth after weeks of feeling like crap

-- definitely gasping for breath at the end of all 6, but the backstroke 100s felt harder.

4 x 25 free w/parachute & paddles

100 EZ

Total: 2950

Bikram, 90 minutes

A very unusual occurrence -- Lil Fort got a ride both ways to swim practice with the 2 families we carpool with. So I am heading off to the 8:00 pm bikram class in 20 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slept terribly last night (thunderstorms and other issues) and my legs were somewhat tired from yesterday's kicking. So I did not have high hopes for this workout. Nonetheless, I was fairly pleased with the broken 100s and liked the set. Next time, I may bump the rest down @ the 25s down to :10.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  18. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/29/11

by , September 28th, 2011 at 03:47 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:30
    4 X 150 2:30
    3 X 100 1:30
    4 X 50 descend 1:00

3 X 100 kick 2:15
    6 X 50 kick :55
    1 X 100 swim

4 X 250 IM 4:30
    With fins. Rotate 100 of each IM order.

12 X 50 1:10
    Choice. #3-6-9-12 are fast.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Another sprint modification 09/28/11

by , September 28th, 2011 at 03:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I am not swimming tomorrow. I can say that right now. Wowie, am I tired!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center noon
    Jim Montgomery coached

200ish warm up

4 x 200 kick if you use fins, or
    4 x 150 kick without fins
    sort of.
    =>4 x 150's kick goofin' off
    All 4 people were doing something different, starting late, I still have no idea what happenned on that set?

4 x 200 "swim"
    nary a leg without pull buoy.
    no.
    4 sets of 4 x 25
    Set 1 % descends
    Set 2 all easy
    Set 3 variables
    Set 4 all easy

3 x 200 pull
    no.
    100 easy
    4 x 50 37.5 smooth/12.5 kick or swim sprint to wall

2 x 200 fast swim
    no.
    100 smooth 1:14
    4 x 25 5 sec rest 1:04

Bonus:
    3 x dive 12.5's

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today was much harder to modify due to 4 people in the lane, and one of them a bigger modifier than even me! Hard to believe, I know! I was a bit over-tired at the end of workout - bordering on grinding vs. happy-swim-punchy-sprinting. It helped I had someone in the lane next to me so I was totally racing him even with my 5 sec rest.

I'm full up for the week. Maybe just swim easy one more time but I think that's enough for me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    IMPORTANT NOTE!!! North Texas LMSC might not have anyone submitting top ten results. The last TT recorder stepped down 06/2011. Don't look at me, I did it for 3 years before this last year. Step up and do your tour of duty!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Sprinting...At Least A Little

by , September 28th, 2011 at 12:59 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    450 Warm-Up
    1 x 200 Kick on 4:00
    After staying up late with my daughter last night discussing what the fictional Greek hero she has to create for class should be like, this morning dawned a lot (I mean, A LOT!!!) sooner than I wanted. Still, I hauled myself out of bed and headed to the pool. Here's what we did:

1 x 150 Kick Faster on 3:00
    1 x 100 Kick Faster on 2:00
    1 x 50 Kick Fastest on 1:00

4 x 25 Fist Drill on :40
    4 x 25 Left Arm Only Drill on :40
    4 x 25 Right Arm Only Drill on :40
    4 x 25 Perfect Free on :40
    12 x 50 Free on :50

4 sets:
    - 1 x 50 Free FAST on 1:00 (did :34, :34, :33, :33)
    - 1 x 50 Free EZ on 2:00
    6 x 100 Pull on 1:45, 1>3, 4>6
    400 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3350

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how I felt in the water during warm-up. A bit more like how I was feeling before I got sick. Then, we did the fast 50s and I was happy with the times considering that I felt sloppy while swimming them. And... I forgot to dolphin kick off the wall at the turn. Even reminding myself before the next fast 50 to dolphin kick didn't help. I just kept plain forgetting. Ugh! But... I know there are a few tenths to pick up when I remember. I also worked on not breathing into the flip turn - a new feat for me. So... all in all, a much better day in the pool than I anticipated. YAY!

I also signed up for my first SCM meet yesterday. I'm swimming the 50 Free, 50 Back, 50 Fly, and 100IM. I remember this meet from last year and it goes really quickly. So... four events instead of five, but it should be fun. I seeded myself with my best times from last year's SCM season and I'm hoping to see some time drops - especially in the back and IM. I guess time will tell. The meet is a week from Saturday and I'm hoping to be feeling great in the water by then.

Until next time, enjoy your swims!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts