View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday, June 4, 2012 6:00pm

by , June 4th, 2012 at 11:10 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    The YMCA is doing their annual "Y Splash" program at our pool, which is an opportunity for the public to get a week of 100% FREE swimming lessons for their kids. It's a great program, and all you have to do is sign up. They've got the whole pool taken up from 4 to 6 pm, and I'm sure at least 3 sessions of lessons during that 2 hour period. The final session looked like it had 8-9 groups of lessons going on simultaneously. In addition, 4 guards on deck, 1 on each side of the pool.

We've had two drownings occur in Wenatchee this year, which is actually a high number for the area. The first one I've mentioned before...the incident at the high school last winter in the P.E. class.
    The second incident happened this two weekends ago on the Columbia River. Apparently a group of girls were playing around along the park on a walking bridge, and they thought it would be cool to jump in off the edge of the bridge. Apparently they all lined up, counted 1-2-3 and...only 1 girl jumped...into the 50 degree flowing river! Another girl jumped later after she realized her friend was in danger, trying to save her friend. Well, the two both got in trouble quickly, and another guy downriver was able to get out there and get to the girls, but was only able to grab one of them. The other girl, a 13 year old middle schooler, wasn't seen again. This is the article about the story from the newspaper.
    The YMCA and other programs are trying to reinforce the importance of safety in and around the water. I think people are finally getting with it after these two horrible incidents have happened recently.

=================================

Workout:

Warmup:
    200 Free (1st 100 of it was helping drag lanelines down the pool after Y Splash)

Main Set: Idea from That Guy
    I figured I haven't really been doing that much recently, especially over the past weekend, so I'd kinda kickstart my week with the IM CHASM OF DOOM!

200 IM on 3:00 (went 2:35 to start out)
    175 on 2:40 (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 25 free)
    150 on 2:20 (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast)
    125 on 2:00 (50 fly, 50 back, 25 breast)
    100 on 1:40 (50 fly, 50 back)
    75 on 1:20 (50 fly, 25 back)
    50 fly on 1:00
    25 fly on 40
    25 fly on 40
    50 fly on 1:00
    75 on 1:20 (50 fly, 25 back)
    100 on 1:40 (50 fly, 50 back)
    125 on 2:00 (50 fly, 50 back, 25 breast)
    150 on 2:20 (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast)
    175 on 2:40 (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 25 free
    200 IM AFAP went 2:25

100 EZ

4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:45s)
    Had to stop at 4 because I felt my hamstring ready to cramp...

1 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:15 EZ
    1 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:10 (1:07)
    1 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 EZ
    2 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:10 (1:05/1:07)
    1 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:25 very EZ
    1 x 100 Free Pull AFAP (went 1:01)

100 EZ

------------------------
    3100 Yards

That was my first attempt, and maybe my last attempt at the frickin' IM CHASM OF DOOM set. It always has to be written in RED ENLARGED ALL CAPS as well, and spoken with the deep villianous scary voiceover. At first I didn't think too much of the set in terms of difficulty, but it sure sneaks up on you on the return trip up! And wayyyyy wayyyyy too much backstroke for my liking as well. I was so happy on the second to last rep to finally have 1 length of freestyle as well. Rested about 15 seconds till the interval and hit the turbo button for the final 200. I was surprised by the result, because it really hurt to race fast at the end of the 1800 set on minimal rest. Nice set T.G.

Updated June 4th, 2012 at 11:36 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  2. Monday, June 4th

Didn't swim Saturday because of anniversary. Then this morning it was storming so the pool was closed. Since my wife and daughters left on a road trip, I wa able to swim this evening. Swam steady but not hard -didn't want to wear myself out for in the morning.

2x500 Free on 7:45
    5x100 back Pull on 1:45
    5x100 Free Pull on 1:30
    5x200 Back Pull on 3:15
    500 Free Pull on 8
    10x50 Back Pull on :50
    10x50 Free Pull on :45
    100 Free

4600 Yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. confidence builders...

by , June 4th, 2012 at 09:11 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    The last couple of days I've decided to do some confidence-building workouts for long distance... looking forward to the USMS OW 5K later this month.

Saturday's workout was 3 x 1750 on 29:30; I was trying to come in at around 29:00, a 1:40/100 pace. I finished three miles in just under 1:29.00; my first two miles were 29:05, 29:15; and my last mile was 29:50.

Today I did 3500 in 60:20.00 minutes, broken up as so: 1000 in 16:45, 100 breast in 2:00, 1000 in 17:00, 100 breast in 2:00; 1000 in 17:15; 100 breast in 2:00; 200 free in 3:20.

Feels good to be swimming "hard" for long stretches and gives me that confidence I'll be able to sustain the pace during the 5K.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Iceland Day 3

I woke up early Saturday morning, ready for my third and last day of swimming at the IGLA Championships in Reykjavik. It was the fourth day of festivities, and between the sports competitions and all the other events and socializing everyone was looking a little worse for wear. There were only a half-dozen of us on the earliest (6:30am) bus to the competition facility, and I had my own lane for most of warmup. In addition to being tired my feet were a little cut-up and bruised from the open-water swim the night before, and starts and breaststroke kick were somewhat uncomfortable. This swim meet had begun to feel like an endurance challenge, but I was still excited and grateful to be able to be here swimming with my teammates and friends.

I was in the first event of the day, the 400 FR, along with my teammates Hannah, Amanda, Kathleen, and Clara. We had exactly 1 full heat of women—10 swimmers—and miraculously we all showed up in the ready room. (The preceding men’s heats of the events had lots of gaps from missing swimmers). One of the joys of being a woman at an IGLA meet is that there are so few of us that you see the same competitors over and over, and really get to know each other by the end of the meet. Today’s was the most fun ready room I had ever been in—most of us were still all excited about the previous evening’s open-water event, and about this being the last distance event of the meet. We did a group cheer for ourselves before heading out on deck for our event.

I swam a 5:40.3 with solid splits (1:20.9 / 1:26.6 / 1:26.5 / 1:26.1), taking second in my age group to a fast swimmer from Oregon who had dominated all the distance events. In this race she was strongly challenged by Hannah—I could see them swimming right together on each lap, and was rooting for my teammate every time I saw them pass by. Afterwards I went outdoors for a warmdown / hot tub / waterslide session—my next events were not until the end of the session, so I had some time to enjoy myself out in the sunshine.

My second individual event of the day was the 200 IM, which I swam solidly. I don’t have my time or splits—the online results for the last few events are not yet posted for some reason—but I was pleased with how I shaped this race, and with the fact that I didn’t run into the lane lines on the backstroke leg. I didn’t have time to warm down before my last event of the day, the women’s 200 medley relay. This one was special to me—I was swimming on a 240+ team with longtime friends and teammates Kathleen, Barbara, and Helen, all of whom are in their 60s or 70s. Of course our oldest swimmer (75) was swimming the fly leg! .

I led off backstroke—I think I went a 38-something—then cheered as my teammates swam beautifully. We ended up setting a new IGLA record by at least 40 seconds. It was very exciting as the whole team was cheering us on, and a great note on which to end the meet. I think it’s really cool that our women’s contingent was so strong—I ended up swimming on 3 women’s relays in 3 different age groups (120, 160, 240), with 8 different relaymates. Coach Christopher did a great job of planning our relay entries, as well as deck coaching our big team and being unfailingly cheerful and enthusiastic and helpful throughout the meet. He has been our meet coach for the last few years, and I’ve really appreciated all he’s done to encourage meet participation—the huge turnout we had here is a tribute to all he’s done.

Speaking of teams, TNYA won the swim competition handily. That we would do well was apparent from the get-go—we had by far the biggest team at the meet. It was our first-ever IGLA swimming championship, and I can’t say how excited our team was about that, and how pleased I was to be a part of it all. Our diving team also won the overall diving title—9 of the 11 divers entered were from TNYA, and everyone performed well. The big suspense going into the final day was the water polo competition. New York wasn’t the favorite going into the tournament, but they played well when it counted, winning all four of their games in pool play—the last one by 1 point in sudden death—to make it to the semifinals. There they beat Seattle in a 6-5 nail-biter on Friday night to make it to the gold medal game against Atlanta on Saturday. The game was being held at 5pm, just before the closing Pink Flamingo competition, and the entire swimming and diving teams planned to show up to cheer them on.

I had a few spare hours before returning to the pool for PF rehearsal and water polo, so Amanda and I wandered over to Reykjavik’s botanical garden, where we enjoyed a delicious lunch (lobster salad for me) and shared a piece of carrot cake while enjoying the view.

Then it was time to head back to the pool for Pink Flamingo rehearsal.

How to explain Pink Flamingo? It’s a competition between teams, in which each puts on an aquatic skit or show. It usually involves music, choreography (both on-deck and in the water), drag, elaborate costumes and props, and lots of local topical references. This year’s theme was Ice & Fire. TNYA’s entry--directed by Pink Flamingo mastermind Charlie--was designed to appeal to the Europeans in the audience, and more importantly, the Icelandic judges. It had a bit of everything—our cast of characters included Iceland’s most notable Eurovision contestants, Icelandic bankers dressed in prison stripes performing water ballet, an Icelandic Miss World stumbling not once but twice into the pool (Amanda was great in this role!), Loki, Bjork on a swan float, Vikings and the Saga of the Sturlunga, an Irish step dancer (we have a very competent one on our team), and of course an erupting volcano. All in 5 minutes. Me? I was a sign holder, and enjoyed watching the rest of my teammates put on a real show!

I think our routine was a bit impenetrable to Americans unfamiliar with the past decade’s Eurovision Song Contest contestants and controversies, but the Europeans seemed to love it. During our rehearsal the nearby water slide pool was filled with locals trying to catch a glimpse of what the heck we were doing, and it erupted from time to time with applause and laughter. I had received an email full of youtube links to the various references, so I had some idea of what was being parodied and alluded to.

The rehearsal ended in time for us to join the rest of our teammates for the exciting second half of the water polo gold medal match. It was a hard-fought see-sawing game, with quality play from both Atlanta and New York. The cheering got louder and louder as the game went on, and by the fourth quarter any time there was a goal or a change of possession in our favor the noise was deafening. There were some impressive shots and some great blocks by our goalie Chris, who had been forbidden by the team to go down the water slide this trip, at least before the conclusion of the tournament (he broke a rib doing that in Atlanta, and had to miss the final game there.)

The whole time I watched, New York was either up by 1 point or the game was tied. In the final quarter Atlanta had a couple of man-up situations to take the lead, but New York played tough defense and denied them, then scored an exciting final goal with under a minute left in the game to go up 7-6, to thunderous applause and foot stomping from the fans. Atlanta had a final chance to tie the game, but New York stole the ball and then successfully passed it out to one of our speedier players, who swam the ball away as time ran out, giving Atlanta no chance to foul. The final buzzer sounded, we had won. It was truly thrilling. We gave our team a standing ovation as they did the traditional post-game handshake line with Atlanta, and then again as they came over to join our team in the bleachers. It was the second IGLA polo victory ever for TNYA (their last was in 2000 in Paris).

Next up was the Pink Flamingo competition. We went third out of four teams, and the performers were even better than they had been in rehearsal. We were followed by Iceland’s entry, which featured a beautiful performance by a local choir that tours internationally. (I had met one of their members on the bus trip to the Blue Lagoon, and so was especially looking forward to hearing them). The three judges left to deliberate while awards were given in the other categories. My team was jubilant, having swept the swimming large team division, the diving, and the polo categories—not sure if that’s ever been done before! The only category we didn’t win was synchro swimming—the San Francisco Tsunami fielded the only three entries in that category, so took the honors. They performed their routines while we waited to hear from the judges, and were very impressive.

Finally it was time for the Pink Flamingo awards. I thought our entry was the most elaborate and creative, and the judges must have agreed, because we were named the winners! The prize was a stuffed dalmation weasel—not sure if that will make it through customs or not. Our Pink Flamingo victory definitely made for an unprecedented IGLA sweep. Now we just need to add a synchro team for the next championships!

It was a great end to a fabulous competition. I’m so glad I decided to come! It was wonderful being part of a strong and supportive team, and a great opportunity to visit a place I’ve never been. I was sad to have to leave the next day--I wish I’d had more time to see more stuff outside of Reykjavik. But now I know how easy it is to visit (almost as easy as going to the west coast), Iceland will be a tempting summer cool-weather destination.

And I can’t say enough about the local IGLA organizers—they did a fantastic job of putting on a great event. Everyone involved was endlessly cheerful and patient with all of us—the officials and timers, the ready-room roll-caller, the bus drivers, and the Pink Iceland travel guides who took care of everyone’s travel- and tourism-related questions and needs. I can’t imagine how much work went into arranging this event—they had to import polo refs from Denmark, for example—but everything came together seamlessly, And special thanks to whoever arranged the amazing weather we had for the entire event!

I can’t remember when I’ve had more fun at a swim meet. This definitely makes me want to go to Seattle with the team for next year’s IGLA!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, June 4

by , June 4th, 2012 at 05:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:10
    8 x 25 shooters on back w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    6 kick, 4 fast hands drills
    100 EZ

10 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    1 = flutter kick w/fins & board, 11 low
    2 = breast w/fins, 13 mid
    3-4 = back from the blocks w/15 SDKs, rolling start, 13 lows
    5 = free, 11 flat
    6 = breast w/fins, 13
    7-8 = back shooter w/fins, 9s
    -- OK, not super fast. The backstrokes were good though.
    100 EZ

6 x 25 breast pull w/parachute @ 1:00
    50 EZ

6 x 25 back shooter w/fins & parachute
    3 @ 1:00, 3 @ 1:10
    100 EZ

Total: 3000

Rehab exercises, foam rolling, stretching, 40 minutes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I took the entire weekend off as recovery. I was very busy anyway with Lil Fort's JOs, Teen Fort's prom prep & festivities, soccer party, and Fort Son getting home from college. Lil Fort was very speedy, winning both the 1500 and 3000 in big PRs. (And prompting Jimby to say I should try the 400 IM again. Not!) Next up for her is the PV Association meet in two weeks, which is a qualifier for Youth Nationals. Same weekend as the All Star soccer tournament ... I may be taking that weekend off as well, I fear. But since Missy Franklin gets every weekend off in the summer according to the WSJ, I can too!

Unfortunately, after all the recovery, I was rudely woken up early by Teen Fort who forgot her English project at home. Since I went to bed late, I was tired all day and didn't feel great in the water. I need my sleep these days.

I will likely journey out to Rockville tomorrow if the weather is good. I think I need to do an AFAP 100 back long course. Just can't wait. (Why don't we have a sarcasm emoticon?) Whoops, no can't. Forgot I had an appt at 12:30 ...

Updated June 4th, 2012 at 08:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5385.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	6843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	599177_10151792107045052_754316777_n.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	6844  
  6. 06.04.12 - Monday workout

by , June 4th, 2012 at 05:27 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Nasty storms lingered from about midnight last night through 8:00 AM this morning. Lots of lightning so the morning workout was a hopeless cause. Started work early and got away about 2:00 for an afternoon swim. Borrowed the main set from JBS. Great set and perfect for a solo swim! Chewed up 5200 yards without thinking about it very much.

SCY

400 Warm up

Started w/ 200 Hard on 2:30 followed by 175 Easy on 2:30. Dropped 5 seconds after each hard/easy. Once I couldn't make the interval, I dropped 25 yards.
    200 Hard, 175 Easy - 2:30
    200 Hard, 175 Easy - 2:25
    175 Hard, 150 Easy - 2:20
    175 Hard, 150 Easy - 2:15
    175 Hard, 150 Easy - 2:10
    175 Hard, 150 Easy - 2:05
    150 Hard, 125 Easy - 2:00
    150 Hard, 125 Easy - 1:55
    150 Hard, 125 Easy - 1:50
    150 Hard, 125 Easy - 1:45
    125 Hard, 100 Easy - 1:40
    125 Hard, 100 Easy - 1:35
    125 Hard, 100 Easy - 1:30
    125 Hard, 100 Easy - 1:25
    100 Hard, 75 Easy - 1:20
    100 Hard, 75 Easy - 1:15
    100 Hard, 75 Easy - 1:10
    100 Hard, 75 Easy - 1:05
    75 Hard, 50 Easy - 1:00
    75 Hard, 50 Easy - 0:55
    50 Hard, 25 Easy - 0:50
    50 Hard, 25 Easy - 0:45
    50 Hard, 25 Easy - 0:40
    50 Hard, 25 Easy - 0:35
    50 Hard - 0:30

200 Cool down

(5900 Total)

Updated June 4th, 2012 at 09:28 PM by pmccoy

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Monday, June 4 2012

by , June 4th, 2012 at 04:50 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    SCY @Fort Myers Aquatics Center

Air temp of 86, pool at 83, 75% water clarity.

Warm Up
    200 EZ

*Set 1*
    4800 FR broken swim

4x continuous
    • 1x400 on 5:00
    • 4x100 on 1:20
    • 8x50 on :40

Results:
    • 400s - descended to 4:42 - 4:36
    • 100s - 1:08 ave
    • 50s - 34 ave

EZ 200 FR

Comments
    • Missed LCM at FGCU to take my son to Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) for an unacompanied minors flight to relatives for a month.
    • Since the FGCU Swim Team has the LCM pool after 2pm, my daughter and I went to Fort Myers Aquatic Center instead.
    • Most of the year, FMAC is a great pool to swim in, but during the summer the pool temp is hot, water cloudy and everywhere is crowded with summer day camp groups. So today we did a basic hour+ workout and left asap.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Mon June 4th 2012

by , June 4th, 2012 at 04:09 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon June 4th 2012

Trained Sat with Chris & Jim
    main set was 4 rounds of:

4x50 on :40 right into
    200 on 2:40 right into
    3 x 50 on :40 right into
    150 on 2:00 right into
    2 x 50 on :40 right into
    100 on 1:20
    then 100 easy
    they were tough but I made em

Whitney Coached
    LCM main pool
    6:00 to 7:30 dove in 6:05is
    swam with Tyler Todd, Mike, Jim & Ned

Warm Up (scy )
    did 400 ish

Main Set (LCM)

2 rounds of:

10 x 50
    odds on 0:35 (yes :35 LCM is fast)
    evens on 0:45

1:00 rest

100 K fast
    went 1:29

6 x 150 on 2:00 make em
    made em

100 k fast
    went 1:27

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets & Events

Thu Jul 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Order of Events
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE

Sat Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 6/04/12: noon

by , June 4th, 2012 at 01:49 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 50 FR

4000yds for time = 56.07
    6:29, 6:48, 6:53, 7:24 (feed on first 25)
    7:21, 7:21 (feed on first 25), 6:56, 6:51

50 loosen and out.
    (Solo/Rec/4100yds/60 min)
    ----------------------
    Slower than my 3000yd timed swim 3 weeks ago, but I figured it would be. The pool is warm today (86) and my mindset was more to get through than to do it fast. I again just strung together a bunch of my infamous Noah's Arks, but didn't really push the pair of 100s. First feed was Accerlerade, second was plain water - I just kicked on my back and slugged down the liquid as I went to the other end of the pool.

Now to enjoy the rest of my last day of vacation. Monday night is pizza night at our house, as we help support our local economy through buying a pie and some cheezy bread sticks. Mmmm. Then off to Men's Group/Bible study tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Timed swims
  10. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/05/12

by , June 4th, 2012 at 12:17 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:45 3:30
    3 X 100 2:00 1:45
    4 X 50 1:00 :50
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:30
    6 X 50 kick 1:15
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 200-50 stroke/50 free- 4:00
    1 X 100 stroke 2:15
    4 X 50 stroke 1:15
    Two rounds

1 X 50-choice- Blocks/fast
    1 X 100 easy
    Cycle through 4 times. Take 4 minutes to complete each cycle.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3800M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Monday, 6/4/12

by , June 4th, 2012 at 11:32 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Workout #1, Week 23, Leslie's HIT (modified)

Warm up
    500 choice
    - swam 300 back & free, kicked 200 w/board & snorkel
    6 x (50 drill + 50 kick) @ :20 RI
    - did 3 free, 2 back, 1 fly

Speed Sets
    8 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:10
    - did 3 free, 3 back, 2 fly
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP @ 1:00
    - back, around 38
    2 x 50 easy kick @ 1:30
    2 x 50 DPS swim @ 1:30

2 x 50 fast kick w/fins @ 95% @ 1:30
    - 1 flutter w/snorkel & board (37) and 1 flutter on back (37)
    2 x 50 easy kick @ 1:30
    2 x 50 DPS swim @ 1:30

3 x 50 @ 2:00 all free
    1 = 80-85% - 40
    2 = 90% - 36
    3 = 95% - 34
    2 x 50 easy kick
    2 x 50 DPS swim

4 x 50 w/fins @ 2:30
    odds = AFAP (1 kick, 1 swim)
    - kicked dolphin on back (35), swam fly (34)
    evens = EZ
    2 x 50 easy kick

100 easy swim

Total: 2900 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Workout 06/04/12: morning

by , June 4th, 2012 at 11:10 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/100 BK/200 RIM drill

5 x 100 kick on :20 sr
    550 Pull with buoy - take a masters minute
    3 x 150 Oreos on :15 sr
    - Swimsuit Addict and AZTimm got me hooked on these: I did 50 fly "in the middle" of 100 stroke: FR/BR/BK
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2200yds/45 minutes)
    --------------------

Not very motivated today, but I need to keep getting into the water with the Kingdom swim coming in four weeks. Last night I played basketball with my son for 2.5 hours, only about 40 minutes off the court - shooting a little better, but the guys have come to realize that I am really only there for the cardio workout, so I don't get a lot of shots off. Good times, though.

Preliminary results from the Charles Swim:
    Please keep in mind that this swim is not 1,650 yards, but a full mile (1,760 yards) and that your times therefore will be slower than your pool times.
    I finished 11/113, first in my age group, with a time of 23:56.05. I wanted to get under 24min, so I am happy.

I'm the really white guy jumping in at the far end of the dock at :16 from this video on their website: http://youtu.be/Em3-s5Z1Ijs

I'll get back into the water shortly at lunchtime.

Updated June 4th, 2012 at 11:16 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sunday June 3rd

Warm-up (1000)
    2 x
    * 1 x 50 @ 1:00, 25 kick + 25 swim
    * 1 x 50 @ 1:00, 25 drill + 25 swim
    * 3 x 100 @ 1:45, gentle descend

Set I (900 set / 1900 total)
    1 x 50, 25 fly + 25 free
    1 x 50, free
    2 x 50, 25 back + 25 free
    2 x 50, free
    3 x 50, 25 breast + 25 free
    3 x 50, free
    2 x 50, 25 back + 25 free
    2 x 50, free
    1 x 50, 25 fly + 25 free
    1 x 50, free
    All @ :50

Set II - Swim (1000 set / 2900 total)
    2 x 100 @ 1:40, 1st long, 2nd fast (went free, fast was 1:07)
    4 x 75 @ 1:15, odds long, evens fast (went free, fast were :54 & :53)
    6 x 50 @ 1:00, odds long, evens fast (went 2 back, 2 breast, 2 free, fast were :37, :39, :29)
    8 x 25 @ :40, odds long, evens fast (went IMO)

Wrap-up (300 / 3200)
    4 x 50 @ 1:45 hypoxic
    100 easy

** 3200 **

My sister's team doesn't swim on Sunday, so we left early for the airport and did a quick 60 minutes during lap swim at the East Portland Community Center. We started off shared a lane with a woman wearing one flipper and a '60s-style round scuba mask , but luckily she finished after about 10 minutes and we had the lane to ourselves for the rest of the swim.

It wasn't an especially hard workout, but it was nice to swim with my sister again. We are both fairly new to masters swimming and we live 550 miles apart, so we have only swum together a few times since high school - when swimming was such a huge part of both of our lives. I am surprised that sharing an hour in the pool brought back so many long forgotten memories, but I guess that is what the context in context-dependent memory does.

Updated June 4th, 2012 at 11:08 AM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. First day back with ATAC 06/04/12

by , June 4th, 2012 at 09:49 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    First day back swimming with ATAC Seniors. NOT used to swimming so fast/hard for so long in the mornings! Haven't worked this hard since before my surgery!

600 back/free
    600 Pull
    600 reverse IM (missed first 100 getting compression sleeves on)
    600 breast/free
    600 fly/free by 25's (wore zoomers) -drill fly
    100 easy
    5 x 400
    Total: 5000 LCM

I was really tired & felt quite slow this morning - I don't know if it is because the girls I was in the lane with were so fast, or if I was really going slow, because I got so messed up on the 400's - when I was going etc., that I have no idea what my times were. All I know is that Sydney was really moving, and whoever it was that was behind her, Carrie, maybe, was also. The rest of us were struggling a bit. When I got out, the kids still had 90 minutes left to go! My big goal is to get up to swimming for an entire 2 hours with them on MWF. Maybe I'll just go 90 minutes on Tues & Thurs, we shall see. Still feel like I'm just getting "back in shape".

**Swim lesson with Lisa on Saturday was interesting. She swims the "American Crawl" - tarzan swimming. She sort of panics when putting her face in the water, but we made quite a bit of progress - and I introduced her to breaststroke, which she seemed to enjoy. It was not nearly as bad as I was anticipating.

Updated June 4th, 2012 at 11:28 AM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Big Weekend

by , June 4th, 2012 at 08:34 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Saturday Pawling Triathlon:
    Swim .3 Mile, Bike 11.5 Miles, Run 3 Miles
    I got round in 1:18.20, which is :38 secs faster than last year. I wore a wetsuit to save transition time which helped my swim too. Transitions were better this year but still took too long in T1. The weather was awful with some very heavy rain during the bike. I was 1:48 slower on the bike portion, and b/c my sneakers were saturated, I added :47secs over the run too. However I came 13th in the swim and 107 overall out of 428. I was 25/59 in my age group. YOY comparison attached below.

Sunday I did a 50 mile bike bike for MS which I knew would hurt as I was bruised from the saddle already...I managed to find every pothole on the route I think.
    I got done in about 3hours 25 minutes...the previous day's tri weighed on my legs a lot during this race and hills set my quads alight. I am glad I did it though and I didn't have to walk my bike up any hills...I got close to it but always managed to find the will to grind it out. I consumed a weeks worth of power bars and energy products I think...

I could not swim today...too tired so I took a leisurely morning...will do an easy 1000 later.

Updated June 4th, 2012 at 08:52 AM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tri.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	6842  
  16. an ok workout today .... at least the water was 81

by , June 4th, 2012 at 07:36 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    A whole lot cooler than the 87 at the Y on Saturday. Although I really like it around 78. Don't know that I like hearing Omaha will be 80ish.

Limited time today so I had to use fins on some of my kicking or I would be there all day. I am not hurting as much after weightlifting this past weekend.

NO MANatees today!!!

500 free
    8x(50 drill + 50 kick) @ :10 w/fins

8x50@1:15 burst + cruise
    100 EZ

50 AFAP went 39
    50 EZ
    2x50 kick@1:30 made it! Barely
    2x50DPS@1:30 counts were 45 and 44

2x50 kick fast (25 UW) @95% @1:30 w/fins
    2x50 kick@1:30 made it with time to spare!
    2x50 DPS@1:30 counts were 43 and 43

Total 2400 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. an ok workout today .... at least the water was 81

by , June 4th, 2012 at 07:35 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    A whole lot cooler than the 87 at the Y on Saturday. Although I really like it around 78. Don't know that I like hearing Omaha will be 80ish.

Limited time today so I had to use fins on some of my kicking or I would be there all day. I am not hurting as much after weightlifting this past weekend.

NO MANatees today!!!

500 free
    8x(50 drill + 50 kick) @ :10 w/fins

8x50@1:15 burst + cruise
    100 EZ

50 AFAP went 39
    50 EZ
    2x50 kick@1:30 made it! Barely
    2x50DPS@1:30 counts were 45 and 44

2x50 kick fast (25 UW) @95% @1:30 w/fins
    2x50 kick@1:30 made it with time to spare!
    2x50 DPS@1:30 counts were 43 and 43

Total 2400 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Sunday, June 3, 2012 USAS Day 3 Results

by , June 3rd, 2012 at 11:57 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I was one tired guy this morning when I woke up. I didn't get to sleep till almost midnight last night, since it is kind of hard to sleep after revving your swimming engines at almost 10:00pm in the final race!
    I was able to sleep in till 9:30am today, but I was just exhausted and sat around like a zombie for the most part.
    I finally headed over to the pool around 2:30 in the afternoon.

My first race was at 3:15pm, the 100 Fly. I did get into the deep tank for a short warmup prior, and mainly to shake out the cobwebs from last night. From the looks of the other kids, everyone was having a long weekend as well. Most of the kids were sunburned redder than they should be...but most of them are from Seattle, and this is the only time of the year they're exposed to sunlight, so it's kinda expected.

100 Fly - 1:06.54 - New LMSC record
    30.1/36.2
    About a second slower than a year ago.
    About the 80 meter point, I just died. I was feeling great, doing well and hanging right with the leaders...then the extended weekend hit me like a ton of bricks. I ended up in 4th place, so I think a lot of the other kids had bricks and pianos falling as well.

200 IM - 2:33.78 - New LMSC record
    30.6/41.8/47.3/33.9
    Fly felt good, then...blah in the middle. I thought I was going to beat the kid next to me in the freestyle leg, but about halfway back the kid shifted into some gear that I didn't have available to me. Dang them 16 year old kids!

Had my cheeseburger from the grill at this point...and for 1/2 price since they were trying to close it down for the night.

This started the evening session, of which most of the Seattle teams didn't sign their kids up for, so it was basically the eastern Washington teams, a few stragglers from Seattle, and ME. Heats were getting combined left and right, so it went bang bang bang and done.

200 Back - 2:44.50 - Sad to say that this is an LMSC record
    Splits are not necessary. The coaches didn't even bother taking them for me on this race, which I didn't mind at all. It was about 7 seconds slower than last year.

I got in the deep tank for a quick 5 minute cool down, then had about 5 minutes to rest and get ready for:

200 Free - 2:14.64 - New LMSC Record
    30.8/34.7/34.9/33.9 1st Place!! 2 seconds off from my last year's time.
    I was happy with this one. It was all eastern Washington boys, one from Seattle, and me in this one. I let one boy take off in the lane next to me, but I knew that he didn't really have the endurance to hang on to the speed. In the 3rd 50 I went right by him, but I was still concerned about a couple others on my non-breathing side. As I came off the final turn I could see that I was far ahead of the whole group on the other side. This just fueled me on to keep going faster! I powered home as best I could, and hit the wall...celebrating like I just won the Olympics or something. The announcer was even giving a congratulations to the "old guy" for beating all the kids in the final race of the day.

==============================

Overall, I'm pleased with my weekend. I had a lot of swimming, a little training, and work all packed into these three days. I knew this was probably going to be one of my only chances to race in LCM this summer, so I gave it all I could. Yeah, I could probably be faster in some events, but you've got take what you can get.
    Good luck to all the headhunters out there...my times will be posted soon in the times database to take down.

I am signed up for a masters meet next Saturday in Spokane, WA, and as for now the meet is still on. I emailed the organizer of the meet to confirm everything, and I hope it'll go forward.
    If so, I'll be swimming the 50 & 100 Free, 50 & 100 Back, and the 200 Fly.
  19. 2 Bridges - 5k and 2.5k Swim Under the Walkway

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4878240...7630020724192/
    PLANNING
    It was a few short months ago I was introduced to Gunter Spilhaus and was asked if I would like to put together an open water event as part of an outdoor adventure multi-sport expo in Poughkeepsie. Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity to plan another swim in the Hudson River, threw together a rough outline after laying out a theoretical course on google earth and enlisted Rondi Davies to co-direct the event with me. Time was short, as we were already past the 135 day deadline for marine event application submittals to the Coast Guard, so I made a few phone calls to see if the application would even be considered. I wasn't told no... which is as good as I could expect, so... CG application, Safety Plan, USMS sanction application, CIBBOWS BOD approval, Entry Form submission, etc etc... full speed ahead. Fortunately much of the legwork and equipment would be provided by the Expo including tents and tables, t-shirts, food, P.A. system, land based permits, etc.

GEAR
    I drove to Long Island to gather equipment that has been in storage all winter... kayaks, buoys, anchors, rescue equipment, marine radios; drove it upstate and took inventory. I decided to try and refine the buoy anchoring system a little so purchased some shackles, carabiners, and 1000' of anchor line. SInce the average depth of the course is 55', the anchor lines used at Coney Island would be too short. I supplemented the rescue equipment with rescue rings and a spinal board. Banners were ordered for my boat as well.

TESTING
    Rondi is certainly the brains of our operation and excels at things like creating forms, and spreadsheets and calculating current speeds from tide charts... all the things that make my brain hurt. I'm good at things like moving heavy objects. Since the date for this swim was already set by the Expo, We (Rondi) calculated that an 11:30 start for the 5k would be optimal. The 2.5k would start 30 minutes later. A test swim a few weeks prior to the event on a similar tide confirmed Rondi's predictions. I was happy that Hannah and Janet were able to participate in our test swim since they would both be in Iceland for the IGLA games during the event.

COURSE LAYOUT
    Both events would take place on the same course... a rectangularish course that would wrap around the eastern stanchions of the Mid-Hudson Bridge and the Walkway Over the Hudson Bridge. Both roadways are over 120' above the river, so it is quite an experience to pass through the shadow and then look up at the bridges under bellies. The course would require 7 buoys. One each 100 yards beyond the stanchions... south of the Mid-Hudson, and north of the Walkway. One at 25 yards east of each of the stanchions, one at 25 yards west of each of the stanchions. Finally, one buoy at 100 yards from the start. There is a 25 yard security zone around each of these stanchions, and we wanted to respect that. There are also a few cables running across the river bed, so care had to be taken when anchoring the buoys.
    2.5k swimmers would enter the water at the Poughkeepsie boat launch, swim 100 yards to the turn buoy, turn 90 degrees south, swim around the Mid -Hudson Bridge stanchion and head north, swim around the Walkway Bridge stanchion and head south again until they reach the turn buoy again, then head east 100 yards to the finish. 5k swimmers would do 2 loops.

EVENT DAY
    The forecast for event day worsened every day of the week prior, so much so that on 2 Bridges Eve, I was receiving lots of emails requesting race status. I hate the idea of canceling or postponing an event, and my standard reply was "unless there is sustained electrical storm activity, the event is on!" It rained on and off all night... I got less than 2 hours sleep listening to the rain and checking the radar weather maps every few minutes. I memorized Riverkeeper's water quality testing charts with all the data for the Poughkeepsie area... how long after how much rain does the water quality deteriorate to a point where it would not be advisable to swim in????? Fortunately, this storm brought us no where near what I would consider questionable... I even put my wife Clare in the water! Rain continued into the morning and we were quite drenched setting the course. Swimmers began to arrive by car and by train. Four agencies provide us with marine patrol... Ulster County Sheriff's Dept, Dutchess County Sherrif's Dept, Poughkeepsie Fire Dept, and the Coast Guard. Additionally, we had my boat, a jet ski, and 13 kayakers on a course that is really easy to navigate.
    The rain trickled off, and the sun even poked through shortly after the 5k began.

72 swimmers total... a good number for a "first time event". It was thrilling to have so many aquatic friends come together in one of my favorite bodies of water. I think all the Hudson River newbys were pleasantly surprised by the water quality and the beauty of the Mid-Hudson region. It shouldn't be hard to convince them to return!

Thank you to everyone who made this event a great success! So many helped with set up, course marking, check-in, timing, safety, operations, break-down, awards/prizes, etc!
    Rondi and I couldn't have done it without you!

Updated June 3rd, 2012 at 11:56 PM by chaos

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Missed my swim meet!

by , June 3rd, 2012 at 08:46 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, I decided to skip the 50 free on Saturday. I ate way too much junk food on Thursday, and then was awake in the middle of the night with a terrible stomach ache, which continued into Friday and was really bad by the time I finished my creditors' meetings. Along with handling all their IDs, I think that tipped me over the edge. I took a 2 hr nap which I thought would ruin my nighttime (5-7pm) but I had no trouble passing out by 10pm. So I decided to skip the early morning 50 free. I woke up and mentally calculated I had a low 28 in me, but then i'd be set back for days of discomfort, which I cannot afford with this weeks activities: trial set, the 1st summer league, swim meet, annual mammogram, and a bunch of other time criticial must-be-in-the-office work stuff.

I swam ZERO workouts last week! I did get in on Tuesday and swam 1000 on my own. The next time I swam was

Today, Sun, 06/03 on my own
    SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

500 warmup

8 x 50 on :50
    Speedo Optimus Fins, snorkel, and paddles

16 x 25
    evens fast on :30
    odds easy on :45
    2 fast each stroke

100 easy

4 x 50 fast from a dive
    easy 100 in between
    no interval, but around 4 min per 50
    free 32
    fly 32
    free 30
    fly 33

That was pretty good! I was quite pleased with my modest speed. Not as far off as I thought I would be, and solid times. I am very pleased with holding speed close to where I want to START training. I think a huge stairstep is to get 50 free's under 30 in practice for this type of set, and the 50 flys at 31's or even 30's.

Both my girls did awesome in school this year. They both go the the William B. Travis (of the Alamo fame) Vanguard (which is what they call the 4-5 grade school, then Academy for 6-8). They both made Straight A Honor Roll, which is a really big deal! They are now doing summer league swimming and karate 2x per week. I don't really believe in over-enrichment during the summer. They want to read every book on their summer reading list (a few required, but they have learned early on to get every extra credit point!) and they are continuing with their daily Kumon. I'm going to watch Trials with chowsh, a solo vacation for me! And then we are going to Pittsburgh to see my parents and back to Breckenridge for our summer vacation - and this year chowsh is joining us! As usual, i'm going to boss her around.
    Categories
    Uncategorized