View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Friday, July 15

by , July 15th, 2011 at 08:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

6 x 50 single arm drills

10 x 25 shooters

12 x 50
    3 x drill IM order

50 EZ

Total: 1800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Just did an easy swim today. Still feeling pretty beat up from that deep tissue. My right pec/front deltoid area still hurts. I can feel it when I raise my arm or pull. I don't mind swimming in a meet tired (for sprint practice), but I don't want to swim in pain. Hopefully, it will be gone by Sunday am. Oh, I did enter the meet -- 50 free/50 fly/50 breast -- will do 2 of these most likely.

I'm wondering if deep tissue massages are really worth it? They effect my ability to train, and don't seem like they promote recovery that much. Indeed, I have to spend substantial time recovering from them. And it's not like I have an upper body injury that needs work. I may stick with more mellow ones in the future. Thoughts?

Mr. Fort mentioned that his trainer told him about a variation of the bulgarian single leg squat that "would be great for me, the sprinter." It is a continuous exercise to failure. You begin by doing several full single leg squats to warm up. Then you divide the squat depth into 3 segments. You do squats for 10-20 seconds in the only bottom 1/3, then do squats for 10-20 seconds in the middle 1/3, then 10-20 second in the top 1/3. Repeat -- if you can! This seems like a nasty lactate set to me. He said you have to use less DB weight than usual. I will definitely add this into my routine when I get back to it in September. (I'm assuming I won't lift between Nationals and the Terrapin Cup, but that could change.)

I've attached a few pics of details of Sagrada Familia -- Gaudi's astonishing gothic-like (and still unfinished) Basilica. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagrada_Fam%C3%ADlia. This was definitely the highlight of our day in Barcelona, and one of the most amazing cathedrals I've ever seen.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5007.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	6726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5014.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	6727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5015.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	6728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5026.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	6729  
  2. DOUBLE FAST FRI Jul 15th 2011 SCY

by , July 15th, 2011 at 04:43 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE FAST FRI Jul 15th 2011 SCY

weighed 218 after practice

South Central LCM Zones: DAYS AWAY
    leave for Houston next Thursday.
    meet starts Friday at 4:00

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool
    noon - 1:15 dove in 12:05
    wore B70 Racing jammer
    swam with Jack beside David, Beth Max, Bob & Stan

WARM UP
    the board said:
    10 min swim, 8 min pull, 4 min k
    did easy 50's

Main SET: SCY

assigned: 20 x 100 on 2:15
    odds FAST
    evens
    easy
    DID: 50 FR from a dive held, 24's, 23's & a couple 22's

assigned: 8 x 50 on 1:15
    odds: fast evens: easy
    DID: 25 SDK on 1, 3, & 5
    50 fr on #7 went 22

100 easy

Meets

2011 South Central Zone LCM Championships INFO
    Fri Jul 22 - Sun 24, 2011 in
    Shenandoah (Houston), TX
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/18/11

by , July 15th, 2011 at 04:20 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Taper/Rest workout
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 150 2:45
    2 X 250 4:15
    4 X 50 faster 1:00

5 X 200 4:20
    100 swim/100 kick

8 X 100 2:00
    Pull free or swim IM

3 X {Start-turn-finish}

1 X 400 free or 300 IM
    Focus on great turns

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3400/3300M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Inaugural Race Day!

by , July 15th, 2011 at 03:30 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I decided to make it my Race Pace Day!

SCM at Baylor Fitness Center
    Brought my stopwatch, but no one around to time me.

300 fins
    200 kick
    100 swim

8 x 50 IM stroke/free

8 x 25 50%/60%/70%/80%
    100 easy

8 x 25 variables
    100 easy

4 x 50 from a dive on 4 minutes
    easy swim in between each

50 easy

The End.

+++++++++++++++++
    Commentary: The logistics aren't ideal to get someone to time you. So I "started" on the 57 - when the clock got to 57, i'd take my mark, pause, then go. Anyway, if I am consistent in the start, then I can gauge relative time this way.

I think a good goal is to go under 30's, if my first day was right at the 30 mark. I'll try to grab someone, anyone to time me with my stopwatch.

Here are my times:
    Recent years' range: SCM 27.2-28.1
    Lifetime best 1995 SCM 26.65 (former masters world record)

+++++++++++++++
    My girls did make all stars, see here:

http://www.teamunify.com/NewsShow.js...577&team=ntlac
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Friday, July 15, 2011 6:00am Thx GDanner!!

by , July 15th, 2011 at 02:17 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This is GDanner's set from the other day:
    20 x 50

• 1 on 1:00 easy
    • 1 on :40 fly
    • 2 on :40 (1 fly, 1 free)
    • 3 on :40 (1 fly, 2 free)
    • 4 on :40 (1 fly, 3 free)
    • 5 on :40 (1 fly, 4 free)
    I did:
    Warmup:
    5 x 100 Free @ :10 rest

Main:
    20 x 50
    1 on 1:00 easy
    1 on :45 fly
    2 on :45 (1 fly, 1 free)
    3 on :45 (1 fly, 2 free)
    4 on :45 (1 fly, 3 free)
    5 on :45 (1 fly, 4 free)

100 EZ and off to work
    ---------------
    1600 LCMeters in 25-30 minutes

Exactly the same as Greg did, except I opted for the :45 second interval. It was still challenging.
  6. LC workout with team

Today I swam the early lcm workout with AGUA masters. Here’s how it went:

500 lcm warmup

10 x 50 @ 1:10: Strong and long UDK off wall, counting # of kicks, followed by that # of fast stroke cycles, then rest of 50 easy swim [I did these FR, but we had option of doing them BK or FL. I did 8-10 UDKs off the walls.]

2 x 50 K @ 1:10, 2nd faster than 1st
    2 x 100 K @ 2:20, 2nd faster than 1st
    2 x 200 K @ 5:00, 2nd faster than 1st [We got a bigger interval mid-way through this set to remedy lane taffying.]

7 x 300 FR @ 5:00 [I did 4 as 250 FR + 50 BK, and held 4:30-4:35s, then did 200s (stroke and then warmdown) for the last 3—I’m tapering!]

100 warmdown

On long freestyle sets like today’s I’ll often go at the back of the lane, so that I can switch up strokes when I like without worrying about going too slow for swimmers behind me. Today I was leading the lane, but it looked like I would get enough separation to do some backstroke on the end of the 300s. However, the second swimmer in the lane started the set doing whatever was necessary to stay right behind me, which foiled my plans. I asked him after the first 300 why he was turning around before the wall to swim on my feet. I didn’t exactly get an answer, but he apologized and stopped doing that, and the latter is what I was after. I’m not always good about speaking up when something bugs me, but I was glad I did today instead of just being annoyed for umpteen lengths.

In general, I am still glowing from the 8B swims, and pleased as all get-out for Dave and Rondi that the event went so well. They finished the last stage yesterday afternoon. Such an amazing event, with so many great people involved! I already know I want to be part of it next year.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Friday, 7/15/11

by , July 15th, 2011 at 11:54 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY

Storm last night blew a bunch of leaves and trash into the outdoor pool so I had to swim inside this morning while the guards were cleaning it. The indoor pool is so gross; warm & cloudy! yuck!

Warm up (1000)
    400 swim free
    300 pull w/buoy and freestyler paddles
    200 kick all flutter on back in streamline
    100 drill fist & 1-arm free

Main Set: (1200)
    4 x 300 Free/20sr build each
    - swam all 4 between 4:25-4:30

Pull: (300)
    300 continuous
    (50 free pull - 25 non free pull)
    - did back for non pull, buoy only, no paddles

Kick (400)
    400 continuous
    (50 flutter - 25 dolphin)
    - all on back in streamline

Warm down
    100 easy back

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Lefty Lazarus

by , July 15th, 2011 at 11:30 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    When my son Ben and I carried Lefty, trembling and feverish, anorexic and unable to stand without help, from the grounds of our estate, it crossed my mind that Lefty might not ever return again to Pugs' Escape at the Maplery. Ben later confessed that he also wondered if Lefty was dying. For 12 years, this wonderful little pug chap had been a constant and comical member of our family, his life as a dog paralleling Ben's odyssey from the 4th grade to the cusp of college graduation; Jack's trek from kindergarten to the start of college; and my own pilgrimage from monkey-grilling Oddventure writer to bankruptcy-fearing worrywart.

As noted previously in Vicissitudes, we first took Lefty to a local vet who ran a variety of tests but concluded that she did not have the expertise and apparatus to know for certain what the main cause of his suffering was. A quick test of Lyme Disease was positive, but she feared that a more life-threatening problem was a possible bezoar of guinea pig litter. The X-ray of Lefty's stomach showed his stomach was so engorged with stuff that this normally small oblong organ had been shifted over to the right and was swollen to the size of a softball. Moreover, his liver was inflamed and his gall bladder was riddled with stippling, whatever that means.

{Bezoar, by the way, is a term I'd never heard until this whole ordeal began. To save you a trip to Wikipedia, here's what it means:

A bezoar is a mass found trapped in the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrointestinal_system"]gastrointestinal system[/ame] (usually the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomach"]stomach[/ame]), though it can occur in other locations.

It comes from a Persian word meaning "protection from poison," and therapeutic bezoars were once prescribed to absorb poisons in the gut before they could dispatch the poisoned. The term "caveat emptor" actually comes from a famous 1603 lawsuit in which a man sued another for providing him with a fraudulent bezoar. But enough on this subject.}

Lefty's bezoar was by no means therapeutic. The local vet referred us to an emergency veterinary hospital about 45 minutes away. Not only did this have more sophisticated scanning apparatus but there was a staff surgeon on hand in the event opening up Lefty's stomach to remove the contents proved necessary to save his life.

By the time we got there, Lefty was suffering greatly. His eyes were cloudy and smeared with mucous. His body was hot and he could not stop panting. His back legs were trembling nonstop as if he were shivering to keep himself from freezing to death. His breathing at times seemed ragged. I could not help but remember the death rattle sound of my father's last hours of breath.

An incredibly nice vet, Dr. Lisa Sepesy, met with us and went over a treatment plan. If you are a fan of Law & Order, Dr. Sepesy looks a little like that affable middle aged blonde woman who plays the medical examiner.

She explained that she wanted to run more tests--she suspected Lefty might have thyroid insufficiency and a urinary infection along with his other problems. She said they needed to keep Lefty hospitalized overnight. Ben and I both gave him a kiss and surrendered our buddy to the ministrations of veterinary science.

Lefty's bivouac at the hospital would eventually last for two days. But as early as the first night, Dr. Sepesy phoned us to say he was improving.

She had put him on intravenous fluids and started him on an antibiotic for his Lyme Disease. She also gave him anti-inflammatory medicine--doggie NSAIDs--for his joint pain. By the first night, Dr. Sepesy said, he was feeling better enough to actually eat a little. And though he had not yet evacuated his bowels, the occasional wafting of flatulence suggested that his system was not 100 percent blocked.

Dr. Sepesy called again the next morning with more good news. X-rays now showed the bezoar had begun to break up, obviating the need for surgery. She wanted to keep him one more night to further hydrate and medicate him and see if peristalsis might further progress his internal burden towards liberation.

It did!

On the morning of the second day, she called to tell us Lefty was doing much better, still limping a bit but eating and showing signs of liveliness. He could come home!

She arranged for us to pick him up at 2 p.m.

Ben and I drove back to get Lefty, glad that he was doing so much better, both of us incredibly anxious to see him. The vet had cautioned us he was by no means 100 percent, and that he would need to be on medicines for the next couple weeks, and furthermore he could not "overdo it" with exercise. Keep him inside resting most of the time, with occasional quick sorties outside to relieve himself.

As we drove back to pick him up, Ben and I both wondered if Lefty's brush with pain and mortality would leave him changed. Would Lefty, in other words, still be Lefty? Or a sobered shell of his former blustery self?

As is, I suspect, the case with many dog owners, we had embellished Lefty's Christian name over the years with various additions and refinements.

We had added, for instance, a last name: Lumpkins, i.e., Lefty Lumpkins. And for those occasions that required more pomp and circumstance--for example, during the annual televised Westminster Dog Show--we gave him a title, Sir Lefty Lumpkins. For our Hispanic friends, he became simply Senor Lumpkins.

Besides wondering if Lefty would still be Lefty, we also wondered if he would still be Sir Lefty and/or Senor Lumpkins.

I used my camera phone to document our moment of reunion. Here is video of Lefty emerging from his recovery room. He is doped up, a bit wobbly, and discombobulated by his changed environment. But both Ben and I could tell immediately: Lefty was still Lefty!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkhkIkvsYNc"]‪Lefty Lazarus!‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Ben holds a revitalized Lefty as Dr. Sepesy tells us which medicines to give Lefty and on what time schedule. Ben, who is wearing a BallouSkies charity wrist band on his arm-- http://www.ballouskies.com/ --later says that Lefty's I.V. bandage reminds him of the elbow brace that Allen Iverson wore when playing for the Sixers.

Like Allen, Lefty wears his therapeutic bandage on the front right limb.

I realize this vlog entry has gone on at some length here, and it hasn't mentioned swimming yet. So let me just mention that.

Swimming.

Now back to Senor Lefty Lumpkins. In the interest of keeping this account as complete as I can make it, here is Dr. Sepesy's summary of Lefty's travails and instructions for his ongoing treatment at home. I will also appendage the various tests and other expenses associated with his care:

(Please note the highlighted sentence above. Most pet owners believe their pets are the best, but here we have a woman of science, with an extensive background in animal analysis, officially proclaiming that Lefty is a sweet dog.)

(Note: in addition to the $2286.08 paid so far to the veterinary hospital, the original local vet charged $241.)

When we arrived back home, a real estate agent had arranged to show our house to a prospective renter (we're trying to rent our ancestral home, Pugs' Escape at the Maplery, in order to pay our usurious health insurance premiums), so I carried Lefty up to a platform we built in the woods. Biscuit, our other pug, joined us, wagging her tail somewhat nonchalantly at Lefty's return. Within several minutes, both pugs were using their compact four-wheel-drive style bodies to snorfle around the surrounding hillside. Lefty then circled several times and...evacuated his bowels! He looked so happy and relieved!

Ben started to laugh. "Well," he said, "that was a $2500 ****."

Actually, $2527.08.

And worth every penny we don't have.

At this point, Jack and his rocker musician friends also joined us on the platform and suggested throwing a Concert for Lefty to help pay the bills.

The real estate agent never showed. We carried Lefty down the stairs, I fixed his dinner with its extravaganza of medicinal condiment additives, and we tried to coax him to go to sleep. Debbie had bought him a Beanie Baby to carry around in his mouth and throttle, a cute little koala bear. Lefty curled up next to the koala and sort of rested for a little while, then he started begging for Milkbone treats. I gave him one or two or maybe five.

The next morning, I went down to kitchen, prepared to clean up whatever combination of revolting byproducts had left Lefty's various orifices overnight. To my delight, there were no accidents of any sort upon our kitchen floor. Lefty stood at full attention, trembling with excitement and total alertness, his signature voracious appetite having returned in full force.

Back in his puppyhood, Lefty got so excited at the prospect of being fed that he emitted these loud humorous yawns, as if anticipation of eating was tapping all the energy he could muster: a narcoleptic's catalepsy. Debbie found his yawns so adorable that she began to reward them.

Now, whenever Lefty believes food is imminent, he emits these wild yawning sounds that have nothing to do with sleepiness.

This morning, Lefty was yawning up a storm! He seemed more full of vim than he had been in years.

There was only one disconcerting sign: Biscuit was nowhere to be found. Unlike Lefty, who has never figured out how to open the kitchen door, Biscuit has mastered this trick and goes to sleep in the living room if we forget to prop a chair against the door. I searched the house for her but could find no signs. Then I looked in the garage and around the immediate outside vicinity. Again, no Biscuit.

Yikes! How awful the prospect to bring Lefty back from Death's doormat only to have his healthy bride disappear forever!

I made Lefty's breakfast of beef Alpo, pills, and elixirs, put Biscuit's breakfast in her bowl where he couldn't steal it, and hoped she would eventually show up. While doing some work in my office, I noticed Ben wasn't in his bed, which is very strange given that it was 8 a.m., and he usually doesn't get up much before 1 or 2 in the afternoon. That's when I realized where Biscuit might be.

Ben and his two friends, Will and Nick, decided to camp out on the platform the first night of Lefty's return. Knowing that Lefty was doctor-ordered to take it easy, but still wanting some dog companionship, they had carried Biscuit's dog basket up with them, where she spent the night. Though I told Lefty to stay at the bottom on the hill, he climbed up most of the way -- I carried him the last six steps --and began snorfling around the boys and his pug bride. I left them all to continue sleeping up there. A half hour later, Biscuit and Lefty both showed up at the kitchen door. I gave Biscuit her breakfast and gave Lefty some treats and tried to get him to rest.

Lefty proudly displays his koala bear and front leg bandage, the latter which somehow worked itself off overnight.

Epilogue: Lefty has continued to improve ever since he got home. This short video (please excuse the poor focus) gives a sense of his return to his former self. Perhaps it is the effect of his drugs, but since this was taken yesterday, he has become, in anything, more robust than I have seen him in years.

Jack, my younger son, said when Lefty was in his most extreme extremis, "He's a resilient pug. He'll be okay."

Jack was right, and I suspect this resilience applies to more than just pugs. We are all, in our fashion, resilient if mortal creatures. None of us can escape our fates forever, but until that day comes, perhaps the lesson of Lefty is that we won't give up the ghost easily, no matter how much we may sometimes feel inclined to do so.

Welcome back, Lefty! Welcome back everyone who has sidled up to the brink! Let us all resolve to live our lives as best we can without needless worry!

Just stay away from the temptation of guinea pig poop in whatever form this might take.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct28vaVKbcs"]‪Lefty the next morning! Lefty's back!‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. FAST FRI Jul 15th 2011 LCM

by , July 15th, 2011 at 10:39 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Jul 15th 2011 LCM

Since I'm doing longer events and lots of events at Zones, I trained harder and plan to rest less, but I won't do much next week.

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool
    6:00 - 7:30 dove in 6:04
    wore B70 Racing jammer
    swam with Chris nate mike & brad
    beside Marcio, Jim & Larry

WARM UP
    the board said:
    15 min swim, 10 min pull, 5 min k
    did 50's

Main SET: LCM

20 x 100 on 2:15
    odds FAST all from a PUSH
    went 1:10, 1:09, 1:08, 1:07, 1:06, 1:06, 1:06, 1:04, 1:04, 1:02
    (got faster because I started
    doing SDK's on my push offs &
    6 beat kicks sooner on the 2nd lengths)
    evens did easy 50's

8 x 50 on 1:15
    odds: fast went 32, 31, 30, 28
    evens: easy

200 easy

Meets

Shenandoah (Houston), TX

Updated July 15th, 2011 at 10:46 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Thu Jul 14th 2011 LCM

by , July 15th, 2011 at 10:32 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Jul 14th 2011 LCM

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool
    6:00 - 7:30 dove in 6:10
    wore B70 Racing jammer
    swam with Chris

WARM UP

Main SET: LCM

assigned: 16 x 50
    1 - 7 odds 35 evens 40 & 8 easy, break regroup
    Did: 2 rounds of 4 strong & smooth, 1 easy

10 x 50
    odds: DPS, most were 24, but my lowest stroke count was 13 for 50 LCM, with a 2 beat kick
    evens:

assigned: 10 x 100
    2 rounds of 1 - 4 on 1:15, #5 easy, plus a break to regroup
    Did: 2 rounds, swam 1 & 2, skip 3 swam 4, # 5 easy

500 easy

assigned: 6 x 200
    2 rounds of 2 on 2:30, #3 easy, plus a break to regroup
    Did: 100's instead of 200's, swam # 3 easy

Meets

Shenandoah (Houston), TX
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Wednesday and Thursday

by , July 15th, 2011 at 09:24 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I had a tastee Garden Burger and Air Fries at a vegan fast food joint here in St. Pete. My son would like to open a place like this in Chicago-land. He'll need lots more money and experience before that's going to happen but I'd go up and help! It would be worth it for the food!
    Thursday's workout was taken from Coach Sue and done solo at North Beach Pool:
    **500 Free warm-up swim
    **2 X through:
    2 X 50 (fly-ba1st time, Br-fr 2nd)
    2 X 75 IM roll @ 1:30
    1 X 100 IM
    **4 X 50 Free @ :55
    2 X 25 Fast @ :30
    1 X 100 easy @ 2:00
    **3 X 50 Free @ :50
    4 X 25 fast @ :30
    1 X 100 easy @ 2:00
    **2 X 50 Free @ :45
    6 X 25 Fast @ :30
    1 X 100 easy
    **1 X 50 free @ :40
    8 X 25 free @ :30
    1 X 100 easy
    **8 X 50 Kick @ 1:00
    **300 easy pull
    **100 IM

3,400 scm

Wednesday I practiced w/SPM. This team is so cool!!

**8 X 150 on 3:10 (100 free/50 stroke)
    **10 X 100 fast kick @ 2:00 (zoomer)
    **12 X 50 on 1:00 in sets of 4
    **2 X through:
    4 X 50 on :55 race pace free
    4 X 50 on 1:00 faster race pace
    1 X 200 on 5:00 stretch free swim

4,000 LCM (too many 50's for me)

I helped my daughter take an on-line test in anat/phys2, she aced it!!
    I am enjoying my "Nook" during this trip!!!! I've basically been swimming, eating well, painting a little, and READING! Relaxation is good!
    Categories
    Uncategorized

Name:	284678_2135979555592_1129186815_2512468_1492053_s.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	6723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	261877_2136004876225_1129186815_2512520_6901469_s.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	6724  
  12. Friday workout

by , July 15th, 2011 at 09:04 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Felt much better today. Not nearly as sore as I've been over the last couple days. The 200 br was encouraging. I think I have a shot a breaking 3:00. Tomorrow, I'm swimming a 400 for a triathlon team so the shorter distance today should help out some with that.

LCM

4 x 200 Free (Breathe 3, Left, Right, 3)
    100 Easy
    4 x 50 Free Build

200 Stroke
    100 Kick
    200 Stroke (Br 3:30)
    100 Kick
    200 Stroke (Br 3:20)
    8 x 50 Free Down/Build stroke back

4 x 200 Pull - 3:00

3 Times through
    * 3 x 50 IM Order
    * 100 Free negative split
    * 3 x 50 Stroke descend

200 IM Cool down

(4500m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thursday, July 14

by , July 14th, 2011 at 09:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

I was still feeling sore and beat up, so decided to head to my last yoga session before Nats. The temp was 105 the whole class (according to instructor) and the heat felt so much more bearable than when it's 110. I didn't have to dart out to get more water and could exert more effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really wanted to get in a mellow swim tonight, but summer league events transpired against me. Was very busy at the team dinner and then judging the belly flop contest. We got to use the dive teams number cards, which made it much more fun! Lil Fort got extra points for a combo belly & face flop.

I will definitely hit the pool tomorrow. If I wake up feeling like I have upper appendages that work, I'll sign up for the meet. If so, this will be the first meet in my masters career that I haven't rested at least 3-4 days for and my first meet outside since 2006. I'm wondering how ghastly my 50s could be ...

Few pics from Barcelona.
    Categories
    Yoga

Name:	IMG_5029.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	6718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5038.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	6719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5063.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	6720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	6721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5083.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	6722  

14. Kick Day

by , July 14th, 2011 at 06:38 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I decided to kick. A lot. Only.

Billy Glasstetter coached.

400 warm up with fins.

6 x 150's on ?? (no. a big no)
    =>6 x 100 kick with fins on back/tummy/sides

250; 100 strong/150 easy (no)
    =>2 x 50 fast kick with board

2 x 200; 100 strong/100 easy (no)
    => 4 x 50 fast kick with board

3 x 150; 100 strong/50 easy (no)
    =>6 x 25 with shoes; easy 50

4 x 100; fast 100's on 2min (you'd think, but no)
    =>4 x 25 with shoes kick on back

Easy 100 (why yes, I will)

Bonus for me:
    8 x 25 underwaters

About 1900 mostly kick. That's really good, if I do say so myself!

The End.

+++++++++++++++++++
    Random cooking tip: Fried rice can be the world's most complete food. Depends on what you make it with! I only eat white rice. No way no how on substituiting there. Add cubes of lean leftover steak or any meat. Cut your meat when cold or slightly frozen to get better bite size pieces. Use any veggies. I have frozen peas. Eggs. So the key is that is not ideal to use freshly made rice, unless you make it pretty dry. It will be too sticky and just mash if you try to stir fry with it right away. Best to use leftover rice. Also, you should use just enough rice as the "binding agent" instead of a huge mound of rice with bits of other stuff in it. Load up on the veggies or whatever else you have, and just use enough rice to keep it together. Use little cooking oil, since you will probably be adding sesame, hot chili oil for seasoning.

Then you can feel so good about what you ate, especially if you're getting back on the bandwagon, or intending to fall off of it....

++++++++++++++

We are watching my mother in law's dogs while she is visiting her daughter (my sister in law). The dogs pooped in my husband's office. Not the wipe-able entryway, or back hallway, or a discrete area. Right smack in his office.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/15/11

by , July 14th, 2011 at 04:08 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Taper/Rest workout
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 2:00
    4 X 150 2:45
    1 X 200 build to fast

8 X 50 1:00
    25 fast/25 easy

3 X 100 kick 2:30
    6 X 50 kick-evens:build to fast- 1:15
    1 X 100 swim

2 X 50 build
    1 X 50 @100%
    1 X 50 easy
    3 X 50 build
    1 X 50 easy
    1 X 100 @ 100%
    Two rounds, break between rounds.
    Round 1 is stroke on 1:30
    Round 2 is free on 1:15
    100's from the blocks

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3500M

Updated July 14th, 2011 at 04:15 PM by RickMile

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thursday, 7/14/11

by , July 14th, 2011 at 11:57 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM

Warm up
    1000 continuous
    - went 16:37. splits by 300 were: 5:10, 5:00, 4:50, and 1:37 for last 100

Main Set:
    W/fins & paddles
    4 x (50/1:00 - 100/1:45)
    feel dps, count strokes, accel, power in reach, timing build 2nd 50 of 100's
    - with fins and freestyler paddles, held 14 spl for all swims. times for 50's were 40-42, for 100's were 1:20-22

Kick Set:
    Repeat twice: w/fins - 1st set w/board, 2nd - no board
    1 x 100/2:10 = moderate
    1 x 100/2:20 = stronger
    1 x 100/2:30 = strongest
    - Round 1 went 1:40-1:30-1:22.
    - Round 2 on back in streamline, went 1:43-1:35-1:25

Mix Set
    2 x (100 pull - 50 kick - 50 drill - 50 swim)
    - drills were fist and 1-arm, 1st time free, 2nd time back

Warm down
    200 easy - alternated free and back by 25's

Total: 2900 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Backing off the distance some

by , July 14th, 2011 at 08:46 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Felt pretty bad today. Never really got going until the 400 pulls at the end. We did a little more that I expected today but it is down from the 6K I've been doing. Hopefully, I'll feel a little better tomorrow.

LCM

700 Warm up

400 IM Drill down/Free back
    300 Pull
    200 Kick
    100 Free

200 Kick
    100 Free
    400 Back
    100 Free
    200 Kick

100 Kick
    200 Free
    4 x 100 Breast
    200 Free
    100 Kick

400 Pull
    8 x 50 Fly (I did Breast Stroke w/ paddles)
    400 Pull

4 x 50 Stroke Build, turn off wall hard

200 Cool down

(5300m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. A shorter post today

This morning I was able to get in a quick solo workout at the Y. Here’s how it went:

1000 scy warmup

Twice thru:
    25 kick (½ sprint, ½ easy)
    25 kick (½ easy, ½ sprint)
    25 easy swim
    25 sprint kick
    50 eash swim

8 x 50 kick @ 1:00, 1-4 IM order, 5-8 rev. IM order

500 pull build pace throughout [I did this in honor of my regular swim buddy Rondi, who is swimming the final stage of the 8 Bridges swim today. She loves doing 500s in workouts.]

400 warmdown

I felt good after my swim on Monday—I was sore in my muscles for about a day, but that has passed, and my joints feel good. I was also relieved not to have any lingering problems with low blood pressure, as I did after my MIMS relay swim. I think adding in more sources of sodium during feedings and reducing the amount of liquid I drank might have helped with that.

Swimming today felt great, and I’m looking forward to tapering over the next few weeks in preparation for Auburn nats. I have a final OW swim this weekend before I really start cutting back on yardage—it’s the Grimaldo’s mile race out at Brighton Beach, an annual CIBBOWS event. It should be lots of fun.

My race schedule for the next month is pretty chewy and varied—here’s what’s in store for me:

Sunday, July 17: Grimaldo’s mile race, Coney Island

Wednesday-Friday, August 3-6: USMS LCM Nationals, Auburn, AL (800 FR, 400 IM, 50 BR, 200 BK, 100 BR, 200 IM)

Saturday, August 6: USMS 5K National Championship, Coney Island

Saturday, August 13: USMS 2-mile Cable Championship, Lake Placid, NY

I’m looking forward to it all!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Not too bad today

by , July 14th, 2011 at 07:38 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Should be first day of taper but since I won't be swimming exept in a hotel pool I figured not yet.

State Championships for my kids this weekend GO HEAT!

1000 Free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1 @:10R
    6x50@2:00 Free kick w/snorkle went 1:25,1:26,1:21,1:22,1:26,1:25
    2x400@7:00 Free w/paddles & bouy went 6:24 and 6:08
    4x50 from dive free 25 sprint 25 easy
    2x100 From dive free breakout then shut down

total 2500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Wed., July 13

by , July 13th, 2011 at 11:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr:

Warm up:

500 various

9 x 50
    3 x single arm fly/back/free

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    4 x back/belly/left side/right side/twirling

Main Sets:

3 x 100 w/paddles @ 1:30
    50 free + 50 kick

6 x 50 kick @ 1:30
    25 AFAP flutter kick w/board & fins + 25 EZ
    -- held high 11-12

3 x 100 w/paddles @ 2:00
    50 free + 50 scull

6 x 50 kick @ 1:30
    25 AFAP dolphin kick w/board & fins + 25 EZ
    -- held high 11-12

3 x 100 w/paddles @ 1:30
    50 free + 50 kick

50 EZ

2 x (broken 100 AFAP kicks w/fins & board + 200 EZ)
    -- :15 rest at 50 and 75
    -- on the first 50 of flutter, I had a senior moment and went on the :45 instead of :40

#1: did flutter kick, went :51 (25, 13, 13)
    #2: did dolphin kick, went :53 (26, 13, 14)

50 EZ

Total: 3650

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Woke up feeling like I had gotten mauled as a result of my deep tissue. I always forget how long it takes me to recover from these. She really worked on my back & shoulders, which were shot today. As a result, I thought I would have to do just a technique workout. But my legs were fine and ready to sprint -- and so they did.

Just as I was leaving the pool, a huge storm hit. This seems to happen for virtually every Divisional Relay Champs we have in summer league ... Fortunately, that was it for the day and the meet proceeded as scheduled without interruption. And I only had to deek one relay.

Still dragging my feet on entering the Hains Point meet. Hoping to feel better when I wake up tomorrow -- hopefully not too early!

I've attached a few pictures of Eze, a medieval village in the mountains of the French Riviera. Quite lovely.

Updated July 14th, 2011 at 10:13 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts

Name:	IMG_4959.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	6713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4976.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	6714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4984.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	6715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4985.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	6716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4989.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	6717