View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Riverton Meet (scm) 11/13/11

by , November 13th, 2011 at 10:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I made the trip up to Maine on Saturday to stay with friends and to swim at the 4th Annual Greater Portland Meet. My buddies live ten blocks from the pool, so it was a good reason to head up for a quick weekend.

An added bonus was a start and turn clinic held an hour before warmups, at no charge. Without having a full-fledged coach with our workout group, it was good to get a refresher on proper techniques, especially with the starts. I was able to work with Doug on the back start, and I think it helped a lot for the swim.

Clinic (we'll say distance = 200)
    ---
    Warm up:
    200 FR/ 200 BK
    3 x 50 kick (FR, BK, FL)
    4 x 50 swim, last 1/4 fast
    150 ez
    (900 total)

For the swims ...
    (100 ez swim)

100 Free: seed 59.95, swam 1:00.43 (29.40, 31.03)
    - Felt ok, but not as strong as the scy meets this spring. I was hoping to get under :60, but that was not to be. I was thinking more about really cranking on the next swim ...

(3 heats, 100 cool down swim)

100 Back: seed 1:11.55, swam 1:07.75 (34.80, 32.95)
    - Felt great! I was happy to have worked on the start before the meet, as I think the modest improvement from my usually dreadful one helped. I really worked the underwater sdk, even though I need to keep working it more. I went all out on the third lap and pushed it coming home. I'm interested in the splits, which I will post once I see them - took it out too slow, but I'm still very happy with this.

(5 heats, 100 ez)

200 Free: seed 2:15.15, swam 2:18.62 (31.22, 35.43, 36.32, 35.65)
    - I had a feeling this was not going to be good as my heart was still pumping from the back. I felt like I had no air, which is pointing out to me that I need to work more on training for the 200's.

(100 ez, and a nice break before heading into the sprints)

50 Back: seed 32.56, swam 31.18
    - Worked the start and underwaters again here. Felt very good.

(1 heat rest before ...)

50 Fly: seed 32.65, swam 31.02
    - Tired but the swim was a good one. My turn was slow, but I don't really practice fly much. My lungs were shot so I did not have great skd, but I was happy with the time.

100 easy warm down, and a four hour drive home.

-----------------

I had a great weekend in Maine, "the way life should be." The clinic was a great addition to the meet, and I was able to meet some great folks in the Portland area. It was easy to pick out jbs during warmups when he was describing the insane events he was swimming, and it was good to chat with him during the meet. An added bonus was the water and halloween candy hold-overs that we could munch on during the meet. I was able to get some coaching advice from Mike and Doug too.

Giving my lackluster week, I was really happy with these times. I have not swum scm since 1992, so I tried to pick seeds at where I wanted to be at this point. Since I am only going to get to two meets this "season," my philosophy is not to repeat any events, get some times, and then see what happens next year. My great experiment for the first "official" year back in the pool.

I made it home in time to join the family at the local "Empty Bowls" event in town. A $10 donation allows you to pick out a hand made bowl that volunteers make throughout the summer, then fill it up with over 10 varieties of soup donated by local restaurants, with some bread and them cookies for dessert. The proceeds benefit the food pantries and fuel fund in the Bennington area, so a great way to have a meal with friends and strangers plus help out many of those in our area that are struggling to get food or fuel into their homes. Especially after the damage that Irene brought.

Updated November 18th, 2011 at 07:31 PM by rxleakem (Adding results/splits)

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Sunday meet result

by , November 13th, 2011 at 10:24 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam a 50 free at a local USA A meet:

I'm pretty sure that's what the scoreboard said! Much better than the first of the season (24.9) and mid 24 was a goal this meet.

Solid, not spectacular.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Next up for USA: Dec 12/03-04/11 local meet:

I hope to go 24.2 or 24.3 on sheer willpower given the amount of time/energy that I can allocate to swimming right now. That would be a solid time and i'd be happy with it as a season best. The next best thing to going 23.99 is to stay within striking distance. That way i'll always be ready to stairstep it down instead of starting from scratch!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Masters Next up:

DAMM SCM meet on 11/19/11.

I am going to enter the

50 free
    200 fly

just for fun.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Looking forward:

I am still toying with going to the Austin Grand Prix or just staying in town and swimming a local USA meet over MLK day in January 2012. For now, i'll probably enter both, then see what I want to do. It's worth the $10 "insurance" to enter the Austin meet, and then I can always decide at the last minute. One of the benefits of driving.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A long cold loop!

Today I had another wonderful swim at Brighton Beach. It was a warm day—air temp was in the 50s when I got to the beach, and was probably flirting with 60 by the time I left—and the sun was peeking through some clouds. CIBBOWS numbers are dwindling but are still impressive considering the water temp is down to 50--there were about a dozen of us out swimming today.

I was happy when the subway train passed over the bridge to see that things looked a little calmer in the harbor this morning—no whitecaps. At the beach it was a little breezy, but not enough to stir up the sand. I laid my stuff out on the shore and chatted a bit with the rest of the swimmers while getting ready. Prep work increases as the water temps drop—hair braided, latex cap on, earplugs in, silicone cap and goggles on, clothes laid out in skin-to-outerwear order so they can be quickly donned, inhalers, lube, finish undressing, ready to go!

I was looking forward to attempting a loop today with David—we talked on the beach about how it might well be the last 5k swim of the season. The water was calmer today than yesterday, and holding steady at 50 degrees. I waded in slowly while he did his kamikaze-run-into-the-water-and-dive-into-the-waves thing, and we were off. We swam to the pier at a pretty lively pace—at this point I wasn’t worried about getting too cold to swim the whole distance, but rather getting too tired! We passed the jetties, the aquarium, the Wonder Wheel, and the rest of Coney Island in a rush, until finally we were nearing the pier. A quick stop to take it all in, then we headed back the way we came.

Today there were nicely rolling waves, and swimming along was very pleasant. On the way back, the sun came out from the clouds, and pleasant turned to downright glorious. I could see the sunlight sparkling through the water droplets as we swam along, and it seemed like one of the most beautiful things ever. After a while we ran into Louise and Laura, and stopped and chatted briefly with them. We all swam together for a bit before Dave and I pulled away. Destination: the White Building that marks the other end of the 5K course.

Shortly afterwards we ran into a patch of extremely cold water—it must have been about 3 degrees or more colder than what we were swimming in. Often when ow swimming I’ll go through warm or cold patches, and it always amazes me that there can be such a difference in temperature in parts of the sea that are so close together. Usually cold patches last about 10-50 yard or so, but this one persisted for most of the rest of our swim, until we got past the jetties and were able to swim in some shallower water closer to shore. Was it maybe the tide coming in and bringing colder water with it? I have no idea. In any case, shortly after we hit the colder water our progress also started to slow. It seemed to take a long time to get back to our starting place, and then a really reeeaaaally long time to swim the ½ mile from there to the White Building.

The strange thing about the colder water was that while it felt quite cold on my skin, it never seemed like it was making me cold. It’s an oddly pleasant sensation to feel surrounded by a very cold liquid, but to feel all warm on the inside. My main reaction to cold generally seems to be getting a little trippy, and on the way to the White Building this was definitely kicking in. I just wanted to slow down and enjoy all the beauty around me, and every moment seemed amazing in some new way—the sunlight, the green water, the waves rolling over me, all seemed like the most amazing sensations I had ever experienced.

But at the same time I really wanted to get to the White Building. Problem was, it seemed like it wasn’t getting any closer. I didn’t know if this perception was part of the trippiness—maybe time seemed to slow down when I got cold?—or whether we were just stuck in a difficult current. I knew that some CIBBOWS swimmers don’t like swimming in this direction precisely because the currents can be tricky and make progress difficult, but I also knew that I’d never found a current out at the beach that I couldn’t make headway against. I ended up just putting my head down and trying to keep up with Dave, and trusting that the White Building would eventually appear even with us, instead of tantalizingly far away.

That worked. We eventually got to the end of the 5k course, and David confirmed that it had indeed taken us a very long time to get there—we had been in the water for 1h30, and we still had a half mile to swim to complete the 5k. But once we turned around everything seemed easy. The current was with us, but more importantly, I knew that we would definitely finish the 5k. We synchro swam most of the way in, and finished the loop in 1h40.

The sun came out again just after we made it ashore. I dressed quickly and warmed up easily—a little bit of jogging on the beach in my winter apparel helped keep the shivering at bay. Afterwards I enjoyed a nice hour or so on the beach with friends, chatting and snacking and basking in the sun. Part of me hopes that this will not be my last loop of the season, but part of me hopes it will be, because it was such a magical and satisfying swim. I was glad to have a swim partner today—I definitely wouldn’t have swum so far, or so happily, on my own.

Next weekend I switch gears—I have signed up for Sunday's scm meet at Eisenhower Park on Long Island. I really haven’t done the prep to swim pool events well, so I’m mostly looking forward to this as a social event—there are area pool swimming buddies whom I haven’t seen since last spring! I signed up for events I thought would be fun to swim: 50 FR and BK, 100 BK and IM, and 200 FR (the last one isn’t really fun, per se, but it’s the first event of the meet, and I’m always impatient to swim something right after warm-ups!) So my project for the coming week is to get myself into sprinter mode as much as possible before next weekend.

I got a good start on that this afternoon with the rowing workout I did with Mr. Addict. The workout was:

9 minute warmup
    3 x 3-minute row, desc. [2:31—2:25—2:14]
    3 x 2-minute row, desc. [2:43—2:14—2:08]
    3 x 1-minute row, desc. [2:40—2:14—1:58]
    6-minute warmdown

We took 1:30 rest between everything—easier to program into the machine that way, but it also meant that the work/rest ratio went from 3/2 to 1/1 to 2/3 as the workout progressed. Sweet. I won no work ethic awards in today’s workout, but I did have a lot of fun coasting on the first piece of each trio in order to hammer the last one. Big descends are fun, and these verged on the absurd.

It was a good day’s work, between the swimming and rowing. Now I’m tired and ready for a massage!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Weekend workouts

by , November 13th, 2011 at 01:29 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Both short.

Saturday Lifetime SCM Solo

Warm up
    - 600 free
    - 200 kick
    - 200 back
    Main Set
    - 8x100 IM on 2:00
    Cool Down
    - 200 ez

Sunday Lifetime SCM Solo

Warm up
    - 600 ez free
    - 200 ez back
    - 300 ez free
    - 100 ez back
    - 4x100 descend without looking at the clock
    Main Set
    - 200 free AFAP 2:16+ (2:15+ best time)
    - q-break about 500 ez mixed back/free
    - 100 free AFAP 1:04 (1:00 mid best time)
    Cool down
    - 300ish ez back/free

Saturday there was a pseudo plan to swim a second time in the afternoon, but allergies knocked me out and I tried to nap in the afternoon instead.

Sunday (today), my plan was to swim a meet warm up (thus all the ez since swimming fast during warmup is unrealistic) followed by AFAP 200, 100 and 50 free and maybe a 100 IM. The problem was there was a Try Tri class starting a hour after we walked in and they decided to block off the lanes 10 minutes earlier than planned. The timing worked out that when I should have been starting the fast 50, it made sense to get out.

Today was informative. A 1500 easy will work as warm up and I am well prepared for the 200. I have a tough time sprinting without going off the block, so the fast 50 (and the 100 really) wasn't going to tell me much.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A windy bouncy day in the waves

The amusement parks at Coney Island might be closed for the season, but the best ride out there is still available, and free! I enjoyed a swim in the ocean today with half-dozen other CIBBOWS regulars. The Cyclone doesn’t compare to being tossed around in the waves, and there were definitely fun waves this morning!

It was a cool and windy—air temp in the 40s, but sunny. When the Q train passed over the Manhattan Bridge I could see some whitecaps in the harbor, so I was prepared for some rough water out at Brighton. Still, the intensity of the wind surprised me once I arrived. There were three of us on the same subway train, and as we arrived we saw a couple of early swimmers in the parking lot who confirmed that the water was indeed bouncy. (They also told us the water temp was 50, which Cara confirmed—50.5 officially).

Bouncy can cover a lot. It can mean chop that relentlessly slaps you in the face and arms as you try to swim through it, or waves that break unpredictably over you. Add in cold water, and it can make for some tough swimming. I think we were all trepidatious when we got down to the beach, where it was even windier. Standing there getting sandblasted while looking at the whitecaps, I wondered about the sanity of this whole undertaking, and whether it might not just be better to skip the swimming and go right to the hot chocolate part of the day.

But of course we got in. And of course everything became delightful once I was in the water. As it turned out, today was the best kind of bounciness—big rolling chop that is exhilarating, without ever being truly rough. We started out to the west, against the wind, thinking that that direction might be the more difficult, but it turned out that both directions were pretty easy going as well as a ton of fun. Hannah and I swam to the end of the aquarium and back—a little over 2k—and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Once we got back to our starting place, my feet felt pretty chilled, so I got out instead of continuing on in the other direction. With the wind it wasn’t a day for dallying on the beach, so I dressed quickly, then headed up to the boardwalk (where a little post-swim walking staved off any shivering) to hang out in the sun and enjoy a post-swim snack. Hannah and I had both brought pumpkin bread, and Hsi-Ling brought her wonderful homemade oatmeal crackers. It was a little less windy up there, and I stayed for about half an hour before heading back to the city, grateful for another beautiful swimming day at the beach. Back tomorrow for more!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 11.12.11 Saturday morning workout

by , November 12th, 2011 at 04:57 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, George, Bob, Billy (came in late), and a couple others. Each had our own lane. Pool temp ~83. More uniform today... no hot spots.

Seems that I've made somewhat of a breakthrough. A month ago, the 200s on 3:00 would have been 2:25s. Now, I can comfortably go 2:15. I can tell a difference in the way I'm grabbing the water. Fly is better and I'm getting back to where I was for Nationals for breaststroke. Backstroke still stinks... working on it.

After the swim, I refereed (assistant) a U19 soccer match. Swim went longer than expected so I didn't have a chance to grab breakfast. Kind of a bad idea. made it through that and got home in time for a quick 15 min meal before running a practice for my U14 team. After that, I hit a wall and crashed on the couch. Will be good when soccer is over.

SCY

200 Free/200 Kick/200 IM Warm up

200 Breast - 3:30 (2:56)
    200 Kick w/ fins
    200 Back - 3:30
    200 Kick w/ fins
    200 Fly - 3:30

8 x 50 Pull - 1:00 (:29 - :32)
    7 x 200
    * Odds Free - 3:00 (2:15-2:17)
    * Evens Fr down/Reverse IM back - 3:30
    8 x 25 Pull - :35 No breath

50 Easy

3 Times Through (Stroke = Fly, Back, Breast)
    * 4 x 25 Stroke - :30
    * 100 Fr - 1:30 (1:05-1:07)
    * 4 x 50 IM Order - 1:00
    * 200 Fr - 3:00 (2:15-2:17)

200 Cool down

(5650 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Sat., Nov. 12

by , November 12th, 2011 at 04:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike, 20 minutes

Drylands:

RC exercises
    HS hi row, 195 x 1 x 5, 190 x 4 x 5
    deadlift, 155 x 1 x 5, 165 x 4 x 5
    explosive leg press, 270 x 5 x 10
    power clean & press singles, 75 x 5
    hip abductor, 120 x 3 x 10
    HS bicep curls, 40 x 5 x 5

knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    standing broad jumps, 10
    squat jumps w/bar, 10
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50

Treadmill, 30 minutes

3 miles @ 10:00 pace
    -- my first "run" in maybe 2 years ...

Yoga/Stretching, 35 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up this am still not feeling great and I was PISSED! Slightly less pissed after soccer game. Slightly less pissed and feeling better at the gym. Even less pissed since I don't have to make dinner.
  8. Workout 11/12/11

by , November 12th, 2011 at 11:25 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    With Masters at Rec (scy)

400 RIM w/u

3 x 50 kick on 1 min

4 x 50 FR (last 1/4 AFAP, shift it through til the first)

200 stroke work with team

50 easy and out
    (1000, 20 min)
    --------

Decided to jump in for a quick swim this morning, and helped with some stroke work drills with the team. Still feeling a bit crummy, and not feeling like I am able to hold air well at all.

Off for the Riverton meet in a few. Have fun with all the meets this weekend, folks.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Friday, 11/11/11

by , November 12th, 2011 at 10:44 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY

300 swim free & back
    200 kick - flutter on back
    6 x 50/1:00 pace
    - 1-3 free at ±36
    - 4-6 back at ±40
    100 easy free
    2 x 50 from blocks as 25 AFAP fast turn & breakout then coast back to start
    easy 50 after each
    - did 1 fly, 1 back
    300 easy swim

Total: 1400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday, Nov. 11

by , November 11th, 2011 at 05:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Plyos:

TRX squat jumps, 3 x 10
    TRX lateral barrier hops, 3 x 10
    TRX standing roll outs, 2 x 20
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    ropes, alternating arms, 2 x 50
    ropes, double arm, 2 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters

8 x 50 @ 1:00 w/paddles
    odds = free
    evens = back kick

50 EZ

Main Sets:

16 x 25 bursts @ 1:00
    various: back spin drill, breast pull, fast doggy paddle pull, free, dolphin kick

100 EZ

4 x 25 no breather free @ :30
    1 x 50 fly w/fins fast (24) @ 1:30
    4 x 25 flutter kick w/board @ :30
    4 x 50 breast w/fins descend (39, 35, 32, 29 high)
    100 EZ

4 x 25 shooter @ :30
    1 x 50 fly w/fins fast (high 23)
    4 x 25 flutter kick w/board @ :30
    4 x 50 dolphin kick w/board & fins descend (33, 30, 28, 26)
    100 EZ

100 EZ

4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:30

100 EZ

Total: 3250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling better today on day 6 of nasty cold. Was a bit worried during warm up that I shouldn't have done the drylands, but it was fine. Glad to get some speed work in. Really glad Mr. Fort is coming home late tonight; he's been in AZ all week.

Free food fixes:
    http://centerofoptimalrestoration.co...ee-food-fixes/

Swim Science interview with Jeff Commings:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...f-comings.html

Updated November 11th, 2011 at 07:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. Workout 11/11/11

by , November 11th, 2011 at 02:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Before I start - Happy Veteran's Day to all those out in the water that served our country. Thank you.

Solo at Rec (scy):

200 FR/200 bk W/U

5 x 200 on 3:15
    - First four: 50 Kick on :55, 50 build on :55, 100 Pull with buoy
    - Last one: 200 FR for time (2:16)

50 EZ

400 IM (25 drill, 25 swim, repeat, for each stroke)

3 x (3 x 50's FR) on :60
    - 1st - sprint last 12.5
    - 2nd - sprint third 12.5
    - 3rd - sprint second 12.5 and past flags after turn

50 EZ

250 w/d various swim/drills

(2600, 45 min)
    -----
    I went with my wife and son to the the Veteran's parade in town this morning - complete with the local National Guard and some Humvees, heros from the the Vet's Home, fire/rescue trucks, and my daughter twirling the baton as the high school band marched down the street.

Hit the Rec at lunch time, and only had two others swimming in the lane with me. With the extra extra time at work this week, and early swimming, I fell pretty crummy. I was able to sleep in this am, which was very refreshing, but I still am tired.

On the first set I did free/bk/fly/bk, and the 200 Free time was good given how I am feeling. I used the IM set as a filler, and then went fast on the 1/4 sprints with the last 50 set.

Heading to Portland this weekend. If my daughter works tomorrow, we will leave in the afternoon. If not, I might hop in for a quick swim with the Masters group on the morning and just head up on my own for a short weekend trip.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 5:00am Meet Prep and Other Meet Info

by , November 11th, 2011 at 01:54 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Got in this morning and knew I wasn't going to do much. After the past 5-6 weeks of doing almost daily doubles, and this week dropping to singles after Tuesday, then 4400 Wed, 2500 Thurs, it was only right to do about 1500 today, so that's what I did. Nothing intense just a little splash around.

I'm ready for the SCM Masters meet on Sunday. Crazy events, but that's crazy James for you:

1500 Free, 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 Fly, 400 Free

Should be good. I've got a couple races each with Kirk (1500 and 400 IM) and That Guy (200 Fly and 400 Free)
    I'll show up to the pool looking like Wookiee, and hopefully will leave with less hair than a baby's butt. I've got to be checked in for the 1500 by 9:30am, but won't swim till the 5th heat around 12:00 or so.
    The 400IM will be an "all in" race for me, going for the 30-34 NW Zone record (there I announced it). If I miss it, so be it, but if you never put your goals out there, what good are they???

=====================================

Additional Meet Info for the Turkey Trot Invitational (USA-S)
    Nov. 18th-20th in Cheney, WA at Eastern Washington Univ. pool

Psych Sheet:
    http://www.teamunify.com/iessas/__do...esheet2011.pdf

I'm only swimming on Sunday, so if you care to check it out, I'm in events 114 (200 Fly), 126 (200 Back), and 134 (200 Free). I seeded myself with my best times I've acheived in masters, and have a good shot at bettering them.

Seeded:
    3rd in the 200 Fly
    15th in the 200 Back
    8th in the 200 Free

It's a 6 lane pool, so that means I'll have clean water and no wall lanes for all races (not that it matters).

Should be some good races.

Updated November 11th, 2011 at 03:00 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  13. FAST Friday Oct 28th, 2011 SCY meet is 21 days away

by , November 11th, 2011 at 01:13 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Friday Nov 11, 2011 SCY

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4298"]My Old Swim blog[/ame] is about to pass 300,000 views and it's been inactive since Sep 2008

Tue Nov 8
    body surfed Typhoon Lagoon

Wed Nov 9
    Traveled did not train

Thu Nov 10 (did a double, did not blog)
    Main Set
    16 x (100 fast for time 100 easy) on 3:30
    felt slow
    weighed 227 after morning work out, 224 after noon, noon times were faster
    felt chubby and slow

Upcoming Meet

21 DAYS AWAY
    Sat Dec 3rd & Sun Dec 4th
    2011 South Central SCM Regional Invitational
    San Antonio, TX
    DAYS TILL

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    SCY
    UT Swim Center: diving well and main pool
    6:30 - 8:00 dove in 6:36
    wore FS 1 legs & B70 Jammer
    trained with Mike and Brandon
    beside Larry, Jim, Korey, Keith, Chris, todd & Tyler

WARM UP started in diving well
    swim till 6:50
    did 50's on 40 & 45
    went over 1000

Main SET: scy

5 x (100 fast in heats / 400 easy )
    went
    1) fr 56
    2) fr 53
    3) fr 57 (cruised it)
    moved to main pool with blocks
    4) fr 51
    5) bk 56 (old school stand up start)

50 SDK dive
    went 26
    jammed turn & surfaced about half way back

several folks swam fast
    Chris 100 fr 48 from a push
    Mike V 100 fr 48 , 100 fl 53 dive off blocks
    Tyler & Korey 100 fr 50 point

Updated November 11th, 2011 at 03:41 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Fun descends

Today I swam at the Y with Rondi. The water felt deliciously cool after the too-hot pool at Riverbank yesterday. My goal today was to do some faster mid-distance freestyle. Here’s how it went:

1050 scy warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200rim d/s, 50 easy)

For the main set we decided to do something that descended in sets of 3, and settled on 200s. But then instead of us each doing different intervals, I decided to do increasing distances rather than all 200s—that worked out well for me, as I benefited from the generous rest on the easy and mediums and could really crank the fast ones. Here’s how it went:

3x thru
    150 easy
    175 medium
    200 fast
    [We did a 2:45 interval for the first round and 2:40 for the last two. My swims: 2:05--2:15--2:25; 2:11—2:15—2:24, 2:20—2:20—2:25. Those 200s were my fastest in a while, so I was pleased. It would have been cool to have converged those last 3 swims all to 2:20s, though!]

25 easy

2x thru:
    500 easy (math combo): prime-numbered lengths = kick; non-primes = swim, AND all free except multiples of 3 = BR, multiples of 4 = BK, multiples of 7 = FL (earlier strokes in the IM trump later ones)
    [We did the second 500 with fins. This was just an easy way to loosen up after the fast 200s—liked it so much we ended up doing it twice! During the second one, I was thinking that if we wanted to further complicate things, we could do the triangle numbers (1,3,6,10,15 , , ,) sprint! And maybe make it a 525, so the last length would be sprint fly swim . . .]

500 warmdown + play

Afterwards I went upstairs for weights + stretching. The gym was very uncrowded today, and felt nice and peaceful.

Looking forward to some more outdoor swimming this weekend!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. A Freestyle Kind of Day....

by , November 11th, 2011 at 10:30 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    not that it was supposed to be a freestyle kind of day. The workout was mainly written as Free/IM combo's, but other than the first set of drill/swim IM order swims, I didn't have IM (especially fly) in me today. Life has been crazy the last few days and I think the stress of it all caught up with me today. I felt like lead and had trouble moving.... But, I entered the pool this morning feeling stressed and tight. I left the pool feeling a bit more relieved, but much looser. Of course, then I got home.... and that's another story entirely.

Here's what I did today:
    350 Warm-Up
    2 sets:
    - 1 x 100 Fly drill / Back / Free drill / Free on 2:00
    - 1 x 100 Fly / Back drill / Free / Free drill on 2:00
    6 x 225 Free on 4:00
    2 x 100 Kick (moderate) on 2:00
    4 x 25 Kick (fast) on :30
    2 x 100 Kick (moderate, but faster than last 100s) on 1:50
    4 x 125 Free on 2:10
    300 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3400

All in all, I'm glad I went to the pool this morning because I left feeling tired, but physically better than when I got there. Not sure what feeling beat down does to my 6K Postal attempt tomorrow. I'd still like to try and am hoping to talk my husband into counting for me, so it can be official. If he doesn't, I may try it anyway and use the chrono function on my watch to get my splits. Of course, it wouldn't be official (and thus not submitted for my Postal Swim) without a "real" counter and all.... but it's more about seeing if I can do it. Hopefully, a calmer day and a great night's sleep will leave me in a good place tomorrow morning.

Enjoy your swims today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. 11 11 11 = 63

by , November 11th, 2011 at 09:36 AM (Random Nonsense)
    I knew the workout would be kinda nutty today, but I wasn't expecting boring.

Warm up
    - 11x50 swim (did 550 straight)
    - 11x25 kick + 1x25 ez
    - 11x50 swim (did 550 straight)
    Transition
    - 4x25 11 strokes
    Main Set
    - 11x100 on 1:15 constant pace (8,10,10,10,9,9,10,9,9,9,8)
    - 11x50 odd back, even free on 50 (32ish on the free*)
    Cool down
    - 100 Freedom

* When I woke up and realized I cruised the first 2 for no reason and needed to pick up the pace.

I asked Josh if he wanted to do 1:11 on the 100s. He declined. Probably a good thing.

I should have pushed the 100s harder since there wasn't much to the rest of the workout, but that set was decent for me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 11.11.11 - Friday workout at the NAT

by , November 11th, 2011 at 08:55 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Mary Lou, Bob, Dan, Dave, Dave, Allison and Mary. No swim team practice so we could all spread out in our own lanes. Pool temp was patchy. The Nat has currents of water due to the way the jets are aligned. Some spots are 85 and others are 82.

Dave and I beat each other up today. After the three 200s, we pretty much locked in on a 1:10 pace or better for 100 free regardless of interval. He tended to hold 1:05 and I was at 1:07. Neither of us would accept backing off. Good practice. I pushed myself harder than I have in a while. Little sore now but it was worth it.

SCY

500 Warm up

200 Kick w/ fins
    200 IM Drill
    200 Kick w/ fins

3 x 200 - 3:00 (Went 2:20-2:25)
    2 x 100 Kick w/ fins
    4 x 50 IM Order - 1:00
    2 x 100 Kick w/ fins
    6 x 100 (Evens free - 1:30 (1:10s), Odds IM 1:45 (1:20s))

3 times through - Stroke in IM order
    * 50 Stroke - 1:00
    * 100 Free - 1:30 (1:05-1:07)
    * 200 Pull - 3:00 (2:20s)
    * 100 Free - 1:30 (1:05-1:07)
    * 50 Stroke - 1:00
    * :30 rest

100 Cool down

(4500 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Outrage Continued and then Interrupted by Cops!

by , November 10th, 2011 at 10:16 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I’ve spent most of the day bussing tables in between headache-inducing bouts of writing about Steven Pinker’s new book, The Better Angels of Our Nature: The Decline of Violence in History and Its Causes.

During the few spare moments this has left free in my schedule, I’ve posted the odd thought, on Facebook, concerning the Penn State University pedophilia scandal ("As a Michigan graduate, I'm proud to boast: we are… NOT Penn State!”), then responding to the peevishness such reasonable comments inevitably provoke in the sentimental and self-deluded.

I’m not sure why, but for whatever reason, my capacity for outrage, at this point, is nearly spent. And yet I shall force myself to motor onwards like a rusted jalopy fueled by french fry grease and bile, a metaphor that is, frankly, not all that far from the mark.

So where were we?

Oh, yes, my 5th grade classroom, under Mr. Glarow’s desk, staring at clumps of my blond hair between his clenched simian fingers.

Let’s now segue, shall we, to last April, 2011…when
    our annual Amish mudhole masters swimming championships was, as usual, being held at Clarion University, a Division III swimming school, whose pool’s official measurement with a steel tape was on file with the college’s coach, easily satisfying the mandate USMS requires for official competitions.

Moreover, two fully credentialed officials, dressed in neat white linen swim official/insane asylum guard-quality uniforms, were parading up and down the pool deck, their raptor eyes unblinking in search of even the tiniest of infractions. There was, in addition, a certified starter similarly attired and several USMS-qualified meet observers in attendance.

The first event of the day was the 1000 yard freestyle. Despite the recent outlawing of full body suits, with my freshly depilated body crammed into a jammer, I somehow flukishly managed to swim this event the fastest I have done in five years.

Before continuing, indulge a quick digression here. I am no swimming ubermensch, no Leslie “the Fortress” Livingston, no Chris “the Greek Olympian” Stevenson, no Dr. Kurt “Dr. Kirk Duxon, D.O.” Dixon, MD. I am but one of those multitudinous fellows whose swimming career was, throughout youth, considerably below mediocrity.

It is only because of obsessive-compulsive tendencies that persist in the face of heavy dose SNRI treatment that this status has changed even slightly with the passing of time. I have, in short, remained wedded to the sport of swimming throughout most of my life and have thusly managed to deteriorate at a slightly slower rate than many of my former, infinitely superior peers.

This is why I've been able to do in my dotage what was an impossible dream for me in my youth: crack the top 10 on the odd occasion. I have, in short, outlasted some, though by no means all, of my fellow bastards.

In yards, clearly the most difficult course to make the top 10, the best placements I have to date managed has been 6th place—invariably accomplished during the first or second year of “aging up.” When I finished last spring's mudhole 1000, and I looked up and saw my time, 11:18.15, it occurred to me that just possibly I would finally exceed this personal TT best.

Here are the results from the Clarion University state-of-the-art timing system:

Swim Details
    Swimmer:
    Sex/Age:
    M58

Club:
    ()

Meet:
    Event:
    1000 SCY Free

Heat/Lane:
    Heat 1, Lane 4

Seed Time:
    11:44.00

Final Time:
    11:18.15

Splits
    Leg
    Cumulative
    Subtractive
    1:05.70
    1:40.01
    2:14.40
    2:48.46
    3:23.54
    3:57.83
    4:32.45
    5:06.63
    5:40.90
    6:15.04
    6:49.55
    7:23.27
    7:57.63
    8:32.07
    9:05.82
    9:39.00
    10:13.25
    10:47.27
    11:18.15

I was confident this swim would net me a top 10, and cautiously optimistic I might even place higher—for the first time in my life—higher than 6th. I was, it turns out, half right.

Here are the final listings for the 1000 SCY free from last spring:

1000 Freestyle SCY Men 55-59 (2011)
    #
    Name
    LMSC
    Time
    Michael T Mann
    CMS
    Colorado
    Tim P Buckley
    FMT
    Southern Pacific
    Joel Kriger
    SYSM
    Florida
    11:11.47
    Paul G Karas
    MICH
    Michigan
    Larry Wood
    TXLA
    South Texas
    11:26.20
    Michael J Blatt
    VCM
    Southern Pacific
    Mike J Ryder
    SNM
    Pacific
    Jim Montgomery
    DAMM
    North Texas
    Loren Druz
    WCM
    Pacific
    11:43.02
    Peter M Guadagni
    WCM
    Pacific
    11:44.58

The observant reader will quickly notice two things.

First, my time of 11:18.15 would have placed me fourth in my age group, the best showing – – to my knowledge – – that anybody in my genetic line has ever finished in a national sporting inventory of this caliber.

Second, there is, of course, no Jim Thornton listed on this roster.

At the risk of beating off a dead horse, which, frankly, I don’t think anyone wants to see, let me just stipulate that whatever paperwork was necessary to get this entirely run-by-the-book and completely kosher USMS-sanctionable (though not sanctioned) swimming meet to actually count--well, somehow, let us just say, the balls were dropped.

Actually, I am being overly generous here. The balls were never so much as picked up in the first place, rendering the possibility of dropping them moot.

The Clarion meet is by far the largest Masters meet within several hundred miles of Pittsburgh, and whoever is supposed to represent our USMS interests in this backwater region, whoever it is that takes our membership dues and puts these to whatever use membership dues are put, for reasons perhaps perfectly legitimate but perhaps, too, perfectly illegitimate—said persons, whoever they may be, did not pick up the ball and/or drop the ball. There was no ball. The meet didn’t count.

Live and learn, I eventually concluded.

Never again would I rely on my immediate vicinity, or any meet within Western Pennsylvania, for that matter, to count for TT. I would not make that boneheaded mistake again!

Refuse to pick up the ball and drop it once, shame on you! Refuse to pick up the ball and drop it twice, shame on me.

Next summer, I was determined to swim at least one, absolutely 100 percent, no question about it, guaranteed to be certified USMS certified LCM swimming meet….

EMERGENCY INTERRUPTION!!!!

Sorry, I must take a break from this vlog.

The local police just called to tell us that they arrested two grifters from Erie who apparently burglarized the Hotel of the Unfortunates, a dilapidated property we own and use to store heirlooms.

I will resume tomorrow after I see how much we have lost.

It is probably fitting that I don't overload my dear readers with too much outrage at one time anyhow. The last thing I want is for my misfortunes to haunt your dreams.

Updated November 10th, 2011 at 10:24 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Thursday, 11/10/11

by , November 10th, 2011 at 04:40 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY

Finally to that point in the taper where I'm starting to feel good and feeling fast. Now if I can just sleep well the next few nights maybe I'll get some good swims this weekend.

300 swim free & back
    200 kick on back alternating dolphin and flutter by 25's
    6 x 50/1:00 pace - did 1-3 free @36±, 4-6 back at 41±
    4 x 25/40 free
    #1 12.5 fast 12.5 easy
    #2 12.5 easy 12.5 fast
    #3 easy
    #4 fast
    200 easy swim

4 x 50/2:00 as sprint through turn & breakout then easy back to start
    #1 & 2 fly, #3 back, #4 free

600 easy swim alternating 100 free/100 back

Total: 1900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Flexibility

Today I swam at Riverbank with Rondi. I had intended to get in some basic aerobic work today, but after the first round of our set I decided the water was just too hot for that (it was 84 today). So I switched gears and did some sprint and technique work, which was fun and engaging. Here’s how it went:

900 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 100im)

500 FR swim
    300 FR pull
    300 kick
    200 IM
    100 back

4 x 50 build FR
    100 kick w/ fins

12 x 12-second sprints (+ rest of 50 easy):
    1-4 w/ fins, odds UDK on stomach, evens dolphin on back
    4-8 barefoot, odds UDK on stomach, evens dolphin on back
    9 FR breakout + short sprint w/ fins
    10 BK breakout + short sprint w/ fins
    11 FR breakout + short sprint barefoot
    12 BK breakout + short sprint barefoot
    [used my tempo trainer to time these]

100 easy

16 x 50 w/ snorkel, playing with tempo trainer and stroke cadences [increased SR from 1.25 sec. to .90 sec., feeling changes in rotation and kicking rhythm as I went along]

100 warmdown + play
    Categories
    Uncategorized