View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday, 4/23/12

by , April 23rd, 2012 at 12:14 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Was slow this morning. Probably tired from weekend. Spent Both days doing yard work and did 21 mi bike ride each day.

Warm up (900)
    500 choice
    8 x 50/1:00 - odds= pull w/paddles
    - evens= kick using paddles as kick board

Main Sets:
    Set #1- (300)
    2 x (4 x 25) @ :30
    1= breakout
    2 = build into race pace turn
    3 = EZ
    4 = 90%
    50 EZ

Set #2 - (450)
    5 x 50/1:00 - 1:30
    1 = smooth dps
    2 = 35 fast @ 90%
    3 = 50 fast @ 90%
    4 = cruise
    5 = AFAP

200 EZ

Set #3 - (1200)
    6 x 200/3:30
    1= build - dps
    2 = negative split
    3 = fast, broken @ 100 for :10
    4 = EZ
    5 = fast, broken @ 50's for :10
    6 = EZ

Total: 2850 yards

Updated April 24th, 2012 at 11:38 AM by poolraat

2. 04.23.12 - Monday workout

by , April 23rd, 2012 at 09:23 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave, Dave and Howard. Pool temp ~84. Felt better than I have in the last couple weeks. Rested yesterday (no soccer ) which helped a lot.

400 Warm up
    200 Free
    3 x 100 IM

2 Times through
    * 4 x 50 Fly/Free - :45
    * 4 x 50 IM Order - :50
    * 2 x 250 (50 fly/150 free/50 fly) - 1st iteration 4:00, 2nd 3:50

25 Easy

6 x 50 - 3:00 sprint from blocks
    I did 3 breast stroke sprints in the high 33s to low 34s. Kind of disapponting. I was hoping I could get somewhere in the high 32s. Did one fly sprint at around 32. Drank some water with about 10 yards to go. Could have gone a lot better. Remaining 2 sprints were free - 27 and 28. Those both felt really good.

75 Easy

4 x 50 Fly/Free - :45
    4 x 50 IM Order - :50
    2 x 250 (50 fly/150 free/50 fly) - 3:40
    Went one more iteration from the main set. Little bit harder after some sprinting but I was making 3:20 and had time to rest for the second 250.

100 Cool down

(4100 Total)
    Swim Workouts
  3. no energy, no sleep...not good

by , April 23rd, 2012 at 07:42 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Work has been a nightmare this weekend. The go-live has kept me on the phone and working past my bed time.

Last night I could not stay asleep then I got paged at 4am worked for a half hour and drove to swim practice.

500 free
    4x50 dril @:20 RI did 1 arm fly
    6x50@:20 RI shooters w/fins cruise the rest of the lap
    8x50@1:30 burst + cruise alt fly/free for the burst

25 @90% + 75 EZ went 17 on this
    2x25 from a dive good breakout

Total 1500 meters

The one good thing I can say....."I AM NOT ON-CALL ANY MORE!"
  4. Sunday, April 22, 2012 USAS Pentathalon Meet Results

by , April 22nd, 2012 at 11:44 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I played my "Master's swimmer" card for this meet, and only signed up for one of the three days of the meet.

This was a Triple Pentathalon Meet, which was a good setup. Most of the kids did all three of the pentathalons.
    Friday night was the sprint version 50s of all strokes, plus a 100 IM (not worth my time).
    Saturday was a middle version 100s of all strokes, plus a 200 IM (doable, but still not my style)
    Sunday was the distance version 200s of all strokes, plus a 400 IM

This looked to be the least populated day of the whole weekend after looking at the results of previous days. It was still good, and I had ample rest time between events, especially since they ranged all ages from 8 & U to 15 & Over. Almost too much rest, since I took a power nap between the 200 Back and 200 Breast.

400 IM - 4:31.81 (+1.5 seconds from last week)
    2nd Place
    Not too bad. A week after my taper meet and still able to go quick. It was a bit rough though.
    27.28 / 31.76 (59.04)
    36.06 / 35.87 (1:11.93)
    40.27 / 40.32 (1:20.59)
    30.52 / 29.73 (1:00.25)

200 Back - 2:15.63 (+4.5 seconds from last week)
    4th Place
    31.79 / 34.92 (1:06.71)
    35.00 / 33.92 (1:08.92)

Insert Power Nap Here

200 Breast - 2:31.28
    4th Place
    32.28 / 38.84 (1:11.12)
    40.30 / 39.86 (1:20.16)

200 Fly - 2:08.80 (+4 seconds from last week)
    2nd Place
    18.91** / 42.08 (1:00.99) <--slowest go out I've had in a while
    34.01 / 33.80 (1:07.81)
    I didn't really have the incentive to go after this race like I really wanted to. Still did fine, but wish I could do it over.
    ** I didn't really go out that fast. They were doing dive-over starts at the meet, and I'm sure the person was exiting the water late and set off the pad.

200 Free - 1:57.00 (??? Whatever)
    4th Place
    26.91 / 30.34 (57.25)
    30.45 / 29.30 <--This only picked up because I raced a guy to the finish that I saw across the pool (and beat him).

They did an podium style awards ceremony for all age groups in the pentathalon events each day. This was really cool. I could tell all the kids loved being able to get up on the podiums with their medals around their necks like they'd just won the Olympics.
    In the 15 & Over division, I ended up with the 2nd place award.
    The 16 year old in first place was 1 minute 12 seconds ahead of me on total time, and the 3rd through 6th place guys were all pretty close behind me, so it was a close race. I was thrilled to end up in 2nd place overall.
    I had lots of compliments from parents and officials about how I was doing, especially coming to swim on the "hard" day. That's just my style.

Now it's just time to train for about 4 weeks plus 1 week taper before heading to Canadian Nationals.

Oh yeah...Chowmi: I did have my pre-meet McDonalds meal, a post meet McDonalds meal, and a 2/3 drive home McDonalds ice cream cone.

Updated April 22nd, 2012 at 11:50 PM by jaadams1

Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  5. Sunday LCM workout

by , April 22nd, 2012 at 03:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I probably would not have blogged today, but I thought Fort might appreciate more reading material, as it appears she is not back just yet.....

Recap Saturday:
    I skipped P90X on Friday so doubled up.
    AM - Yoga on my own;
    PM - Legs and Back
    I substituted all shoulder strenghtening/rotator cuff type arm exercises for the pullups, and did all the leg stuff.

Sunday, LCM SMU outdoor pool
    Bobby Patten on deck but I wasn't going to do the proscribed workout anyway!

500 warm up
    I actually did this entire thing without stopping!

4 x100's kick on 2:00
    Speedo B&O Optimus fins; kick on back
    held between 1:18 nd 1:20
    Went strong and goal with these fins is to kick as fast as I can swim the same set.

6 x 150's on descending interval. about 2:20's or so, I wasn't really listening.
    =================> no.
    Per each 150, 1 strong 50, easy swim and turnaround in the middle after last person for just over another 50 total.
    3 fly; 3 free
    fastest fly 37ish; fastest free 33ish

4 x 100's swim or pull on 1:40
    ============> no.
    4 x 100 kick on side with Speedo fins and snorkel; face turned down but kick on sides

4 x 150 on faster interval
    ==============> no. same thing
    1 fast 50; then easy swim and turnaround in middle
    odds fly; evens free.
    fastest fly 40ish; fastest free 35ish

The End

This was my first LCM practice in a long long time! It wasn't that bad since I was able to modify it. But I really ran out of steam by the last round and could only must a 40/35 on the fly/free. My kick was quite strong and I gloat over being able to use my snorkel while on my side. That really helps me just focus on the kick instead of turning the head to breathe.

Tonight: Cardio X, my favorite!!!

My summer meet schedule, of which I will likely do most but not all:

04/29 Local USA meet;
    05/06 Local USA meet;
    05/18-20 Texas Senior Circuit #3 at TAMU and/or Woodlands USMS meet
    05/22 - Happy Birthday to me!!! No swim meet.
    06/02 - Local USA meet;
    06/10 - Local USA meet;
    06/24 - Local USA meet;
    06/25 - DAMM USMS meet

Off......there are 3 more local meets plus USA sectionals, but I am not planning on swimming those right now.
  6. Just like ballet class!

Sometimes in ballet class, usually in the midst of an excruciating barre exercise where we’ve already done some ungodly number of painful repetitions and it’s sinking in that there are still 16 measures of music to go, our teacher will look around and ask “You’re not feeling sorry for yourself are you?” Hint: the correct answer is NOT “Yes, very much so!” It’s not even actually a question, just a gentle reminder to concentrate on performing the task at hand rather than on how we might be feeling about doing it. And it generally works.

I was having to ask my own self that question this morning. I had met Hannah at Riverbank for early morning lap swim. It was my sixth day in a row of swimming, I was feeling a little beat up from a tough swim at the beach yesterday, plus still tired from a late night before. After we finished warmup, I asked Hannah if she had any set in mind. She did indeed: 3 (slightly) broken 1000s. All free, I asked, hoping there would be some sort of catch that would make the set seem, well, less like broken 1000s. All free, she confirmed, beaming.

I admit I was skeptical, but her enthusiasm was contagious, so I agreed, and ended up very glad I did. The 3000m seemed to fly by. I liked the way Hannah broke things up (she had riffed off the broken 500s we did on Friday, turning them into LC 1000s, adding one, and topsy-turvying the middle rep). And I added my own little touches to keep things interesting. Here’s how it worked out:

1100 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 300 d/s by 25)

3 x broken1000:
    400 FR [pull with paddles]
    300 FR [I did 2 x 100fr/50bk]
    200 FR [pull with paddles]
    100 FR [50fr/50 bk]
    Masters minute
    100 FR
    200 FR
    300 FR
    400 FR
    [I swam these all FR, but negative split them dramatically (ie 5-8 seconds/100, ie I kind of dogged the first half and pushed the second half hard.)]
    Masters minute
    400 FR [pull with paddles]
    300 FR [2 x 100fr/50bk]
    200 FR [pull with paddles]
    100 FR [50fr/50 bk]
    [Here I somewhat combined the first and second rounds, but negative split these last four pieces more reasonably, with 2-4s difference between the 1st and 2nd halves.]

100 easy

IM set
    4 x 150 fr/st/fr sandwich, st = IM order
    200 IM strong

500 warmdown + play

It was one of those rewarding workouts where the more energy I gave the more I had, and the better I felt. It’s good to be reminded that can happen as OW season approaches!
  7. Did I mention I love the beach?

I had a wonderful 5K swim at Brighton Beach today. The weather was beautifully sunny this morning, up until the last subway stop before the beach, when suddenly fog engulfed the train. It didn’t magically disappear between the subway stop and the strand—the beach was spooky with low-lying fog when I arrived. On the boardwalk I saw my friend Eileen, who was heading back to the parking lot after an early swim. She was glowing from her efforts, and reported that the tide seemed to be pulling towards shore. Note to self: heed Eileen’s reports going forward!

When I got down to the sand several swimmers were already there, and more soon arrived. We snacked on gingerbread and chatted about how foggy, windy, and cold it was—didn’t the weather report predict sunny conditions for today? After about a half hour the fog showed no signs of lifting, so we all got ready to go in. Capri cautioned us to stay near shore—visibility wasn’t that great.

I got in pretty quickly today—the water was 53, significantly warmer than last week. I headed towards the pier, joined by Dave and Gilles. The current seemed to be with us, and the wind definitely was. The jetties passed by quickly. At one point when I was swimming with Dave I looked up and we were well within the jetties, heading more towards shore than the pier. That’s when I remembered Eileen saying the current was pushing in—she was right! We corrected course and swim back outside of the jetties, but it felt like I had to keep correcting outward to clear the jetty line. When Capri had warned us to stay near shore, I don’t think she meant quite that near! I kept giggling about that as I swam along.

After a while I settled into a steady rhythm and was really enjoying churning along through the water. We were stroking along at a good clip, and things on shore seemed to be going by quickly. Then as I neared the pier a flock of birds started circling overhead. I got a little nervous seeing all of them—they were flying fairly close, and I wondered what they were up to. It was reassuring to have other swimmers nearby—I didn’t feel as singled out by the birds, and none of them hovered right over me for extended periods of time.

All three of us arrived at the pier at the same time. By now a lot of the fog had burned off—Dave pointed out that we could see the white building that marked the other end of the loop, 1.5 miles away. We turned around and headed back, and immediately were hit by some pretty rough chop. I knew we had been swimming with the wind—the water had been bouncy-fun on the way out. Now it was bouncy-hard, slapping against my hands and head as I headed back east. I felt my body being tossed around in the waves. It was actually pretty fun! I tried to time my arm strokes carefully, so that I was able to pull water on every stroke rather than flailing through the air.

Around this time the sun began to poke out of the clouds and fog. It shone into the water and turned it a brilliant green. I did a few strokes of backstroke to feel the sun on my face. The circling birds had disappeared, and I was feeling happy and carefree as I stroked along.

After a bit I looked forward to sight and saw a kite surfer ahead. I stopped swimming to get better bearings on how far away he was—still a ways off. I wanted to steer well clear of him—with the chop I wasn’t sure he would see swimmers, plus I’m never sure how much control those guys have over where they’re going. We all headed well out from shore to go around him. It seemed to take a long time to clear the kite, and in checking on him I ended up looked forward to sight more than I like to—my neck will probably be sore tomorrow.

Soon we passed the kite surfer and neared our starting point. Gilles headed in, and Dave and I were joined briefly by Rondi before she swam on ahead. By this time we were very far out, well past the jetties, and were able to simply head towards the white building at the end of our route without worrying about clearing any obstacles. The chop had died down, and the water seemed to glow from the sunlight beaming down on us. I swam dreamily along. It seemed to take a long time to reach the big jetty, then the short jetty and the pilings that mark the way to the white building. But I was relishing the swim, and not worried about time passing—I was fully enjoying the water and content to stay in it as long as needed to finish out the loop.

As we got closer to shore I swam through long green strands of seaweed. At first I was squeamish about it wrapping around my arms or neck, but I soon decided I liked it and even picked up some of the bigger pieces and held them up to view the sun through them. At this point another flock of birds circled close around us. I winced as they got close, but then laughed at my reaction.

Finally we reached the white building (or rather the point in the water parallel to it). We exchanged a few words then headed back in. Now we were swimming in the shallows, and I could see the bottom as we swam along. I passed over crabs—one white crab waved both its pincers up at me as I swam over it, and I waved back. I stopped to dive down a couple of times to get a better view of the wildlife. One horseshow crab marched doubletime along the bottom. I was surprised at how quickly it moved.

The trip back was with the current, and we were soon done. Today’s loop took 1h40m, slowed in part by the difficult current and our wide route past the kite surfer. Every day in the ocean seems different—last week the water was exceedingly gentle, and I felt all blissy and content. Today I got knocked around by the chop, and the experience was exhilarating and giddy-making. I never really settled into a steady state for long, but felt giggly and hyper-watchful by turns all during the swim--but once again sat beaming on shore when it was all over.

Warming up was easy today—while there was some wind, the air temp was near 70, and the sun shone strong on us. Shivering was minimal. I had a good visit on the beach with CIBBOWS buddies afterwards, and a trip to the burger shop rounded out a very satisfying day.
  8. Saturday 4/21/12

Saturday 4/21

PM only SCY

400 (100 swim/20 IM k/dr/100 swim)
    4 @ :40 D1-4
    4 @ :45 Build

2x (:10 rest except where noted)
    400 pull w/ buoy and paddles
    300 kick w/ board
    200 IM drill/swim
    4x50 @ 1:00 V.S. (Rd1 BR, Rd2 FL)

100 EZ

8x25 @ :30 w/ fins
    4 shooters
    4 breaststroke (odd w/ fly kick long strokes, even w/ free kick fast turnover)

100 EZ

Total: 3400
    Swim Workouts
  9. an easy day

by , April 21st, 2012 at 05:19 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    My muscles are dealing with my massage from yesterday. Not to bad though. Allergies are still causing me to misjudge the top of the water on breakouts. 3 out of 8 times from the blocks.

400 free
    10x50 free kick

4x25 torque drill
    50 EZ

8x50 from block breakout and cruise 4 free 4 fly
    8x25 odds up tempo. Evens EZ
    100 EZ

Total 1850 yards

Updated April 21st, 2012 at 08:21 PM by Donna

10. Workout clips of Moi!

by , April 21st, 2012 at 04:29 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Bonus post! Coach Barney took some clips of me duing workout on Friday (see previous post). The backstroke and freestyle were recovery swim 25's, and the fly must have been one of the fast swims. I hope this was the 100 - 25 easy free/75 fast fly. It sure looks that painful.

Anyway, have a look-see! Good thing I wasn't totally goofing off. Or else he didn't send me those clips. No, actually, I still kept pretty good form, even when I thought no one was looking!

Fly commentary: My head is too high, hands too high, and my shoulders are really low. My UW arms are way apart, and I remember thinking, my arms are way apart and totally dead! My legs are just dragging at the end and I have very little core strength to drive my body. Boy and I out of fly shape. The only thing that saves me is a low frontal profile (ie, stayin' skinny!) so I have less to drag. But it won't propel me faster! I also cowboy kicked at the end and gave up as I was taking the last stroke, since I can see the cowboy stance at the very end. I'll work on those finer details!! Notice also that I am throwing my arms forward, and I think a bit too fast simply to get them over the water. I'm throwing my center of gravity out in front of me, thus when my arms enter, I am not "holding" the water and can do not much more than simply slip them back. A very, very subtle change in the arm recovery and I can keep that center of gravity in my body, or at least at high chest, so that when my arms enter, I have that tiger in the tank to hold the water and pull with strength and umph. Geez, my legs are totally floppy. I blame that on disengaging my hips and thus the gratutitous flippy kick isn't helping at all. And you don't need to see to swim fast, heh heh, look ma, no goggles!

Free commentary: Ok! Much better! Even when no one is looking, i'm still doing quite a few things right. Pretty ingrained by now to kick hard off the walls, even in the most basic recovery 25's. Notice fast feet at beginning of clip. Feet keep moving and driving from lower half. I am arguably working my arms the least of anyone around me. Bilateral breathing. But I can work on continuous kick and even a bit longer of walls. The bilateral breathing is good, but there is no reason to take more than 3 breaths in a 25, no matter how easy it is. Work on attention to breath on every set, warmup and warmdown.

Back commentary: Not much to comment on easy back. My elbows are straight, they just look bent!

DOUBLE BONUS!!! Here's my first every 200 backstroke at the Colonies Zone meet! See a few posts previous for splits. I'm in lane 2.

Let me know what you think!!!

PS This is a typical Friday workout. You are seeing most of the easy bits and one strong bit. See our nice pool!

Updated April 21st, 2012 at 05:37 PM by chowmi

11. 04.21.12 - Saturday workout

by , April 21st, 2012 at 01:53 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam /w Sally, Dave, Bob, Bob and Howard at HSV Nat.

500 warm up

100 Kick w/ fins
    100 Free/Fly
    100 Free
    50 Fly
    2 x 100 Kick w/ fins
    100 Free/Back
    200 Free
    50 Back
    2 x 100 Kick w/ fins
    100 Free/Breast
    300 Free
    50 Breast
    100 Kick w/ fins

4 x 100 Free down/IM Order back - 1:45
    8 x 50 Free - :45
    16 x 25 IM Order fast - :45

200 Pull
    100 Breast
    300 Free
    50 Breast
    100 Pull
    200 Pull
    100 Back
    200 Free
    50 Back
    100 Pull
    200 Pull
    100 Fly
    100 Free
    50 Fly
    100 Pull

200 Cool down

(5900 total)
    Swim Workouts
  12. Saturday, 4/21/12: Morning swim, evening bike ride.

by , April 21st, 2012 at 12:43 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, with swim buddy

Felt like crap today. Swam like it too.

Warm up
    By 25's: 200 swim - 200 kick/swim - 100 drill/swim - 100 scull/pull
    6 x 25 build choice 30
    4 x 25 no breath/1:00
    50 ez

Kick Set:
    6 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/fins
    2/2:00 - 2/2:15 - 2/2:30
    > 10 SDK under water each length
    50 ez

Mini Sprint Set:
    8 x 25/45 burst and cruise
    50 ez

Main Set:
    2 x the following: 1st set without fins, 2nd with fins
    6 x 100 swim/2:15
    1 = 25 fast, 75 ez
    2 = 2nd 25 fast
    3 = 3rd 25 fast
    4 = EZ
    5 = FAST
    6 = EZ

Warm Down
    200 easy

Total: 3200 yards

Did an evening bike ride. Was a great day with warm temps and only a light breeze. I killed the ride taking about 9 minutes off my previous best time for the course.

Updated April 22nd, 2012 at 03:19 PM by poolraat

13. Tapering into Nats

by , April 21st, 2012 at 09:46 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Haven't really got much exciting news for this week. Swimming mostly shorter workouts with a bit of speed in the midst...will pack for Nats this weekend as I travel on Wednesday and don't want to last minute it all.

Having a massage today, probably will not have the girl work too deep into the muscle and maybe focus on the legs and hips which took a beating last week at zones.

Strokes beginning to feel nice and pacey in the pool...was worried earlier in the week as I was still lagging from the Zones meet.
    Greensboro he we come!
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -04/23/12

by , April 20th, 2012 at 03:19 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    WARM UP:
    2 X 250 4:00
    2 X 200 3:00
    3 X 100 1:30
    8 X 50 KICK 1:15

1 X 150 2:15
    1 X 75 fast 1:45
    Four rounds

2 X 50 build to fast 1:00
    1 X 100 hold fast pace 2:00
    2 X 50 fast 1:00
    Four rounds

5 X 200 pull
    #1 on 3:00
    #2 on 2:50
    #3-4-5 on 2:40

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

Swim Workouts
  15. End of week update

by , April 20th, 2012 at 03:12 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I did another real workout! Or, at least most of the glory bits!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Steve Barnicoat coached

300 warm up

12 x 25's

6 x 100's pull on 1:30
    no. of course not
    =======>6 x 50's with PFS

Part I: Main Sprinty Set
    3 x 100's on 2:15
    1. 75 easy/25 fast
    2. 50 easy/50 fast
    3. 25 easy/75 fast
    I did these fly on fast bits. 1:16 total time on #3, but it makes a big difference when you do one of those lengths freestyle!

12 x 25 on :35

4 x 100 pull on 1:30
    you guess it.
    =========> 4 x 50 with PFS

Part II: Main Sprint Set
    4 x 50's on 1:15
    odd: easy down/sprint back
    evens: all sprint
    I did all fly on fast bits. 34 on last fly.

12 x 25's on :35
    kick/swim/swim your choice

The End

I am getting back into fly shape. It wasn't horrible, but I certainly am not in my best fly shape!

Since the last post, let's see:
    Plyo X on Wed;
    Back & Biceps last night Thurs;
    Tonight - Yoga X. I am probably not going to put the DVD in. I do like the range and choices of poses, but I don't like the pace and order of them. It is quite hard on the shoulders so i'm going to modify with more standy uppy stuff and sitting down stuff, and more stretching stuff than strength stuff. Especially since I swam and used my big shoulder muscles for flying, I don't want to "double up" with so much yoga on my shoulders. And i'll keep it closer to 1 hour. 90 minutes is way over the top. That cuts into my pistachio eating/TV time!
  16. An almost-new pool!

This morning I got to join my pool-tourist friend Hannah in another of her pool outings! I had a nice early swim at St. Francis College in Brooklyn with her and Mike. This was my first time swimming laps at this pool—I attended a polo scrimmage here about a decade ago, and hadn’t been back since. The pool was much as I remembered it, although a lot less wavy with the lane lines in. The coaches for the small masters program at St. Francis are the college’s women’s water polo coaches, Ben and Megan. Here’s what we did:

550 scy warmup (200s, 200k, 150p)

10 x 75 @ 1:10, choice [I did 9 x fr/st/fr sandwiches, strokes IM order no free, then the last one IM no free]

2x through
    200 FR
    150 FR
    100 FR
    50 FR
    :10 rest between swims, 2-3 minutes chatting between rounds

6 x 100, odds FR pull, evens IM [Hannah and I substituted a synchronized 100 BK for the last IM]

100 warmdown

That was it! A snack outside in the sunshine on the Borough Hall plaza completed the outing before I hopped on the subway back home.
  17. Happy Kind-of A No-Fins Friday!

by , April 20th, 2012 at 12:23 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    To be honest, while I've done kicking on top of kicking lately, it's been wearing fins. Now, I typically wear the short fins - not the really long ones I started out with. That being said, I was amazed at how much harder my legs were (read: how sore my legs felt) after doing yesterday's entire workout sans fins.

So... today I decided that I would try to do at least part of the workout sans fins. Not only does it help my blisters heal, but it really works my legs so much better than kicking with fins. Who knew?

Here's what I did today:

350 Warm-Up
    1 x 300 Free / Fly / Free / Fly (w/ fins) on 6:00
    2 Sets (w/ fins and board):
    - 1 x 100 Dolphin Kick on 2:00
    - 1 x 100 Flutter Kick on 2:00
    10 x 25 One-Arm Fly (w/o fins) on :40
    1 x 250 One-Arm Fly (w/ fins) on 5:00
    1 x 250 Alternating Fly & Free by 50 (w/ fins) on 5:00
    2 x 200 Alternating Dolphin & Flutter Kick by 50 (w/o fins) on 5:00
    8 x 50 on 1:20 (odd: one arm fly; even: free - w/o fins)
    100 Cool-Down
    Total Meters: 2700

All in all, it was not a bad day in the pool. And - - I was able to string together 4 full fly strokes in a row (before going back to one-arm fly due to the "message" coming from my left shoulder). It felt great to do full fly, even if only for a little while. And, I was able to do more one-arm fly with my left arm today than before. The extra body rotation with one-arm fly really helps, but I know it's still a process and it's getting better - just not as fast as I would like. AND... I did (albeit wearing fins) a full 250 one-arm fly (right arm) today. Not quite sure why I thought that would be a good idea, but I made it.

Anyhoo, this weekend will be full of pool time as I'm coaching the age group swimmers tonight, and attending both the Fitter & Faster Tour on Saturday and the Advanced Freestyle Clinic on Sunday - both of which are taking place at the Fishers High School pool where I train with my Masters team and coach my Age Group swimmers. Too cool!

Whatever you do this weekend, enjoy!
    Swim Workouts
  18. FAST FRI Apr 20, 2012

by , April 20th, 2012 at 12:20 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRI Apr 20, 2012

Last week I Entered: Austin SharkFest Swim 1.5 miles

Sunday June 10 in Austin TX
    This is my first open water swim since the Mile Swim at South Carolina Boy Scout camp in the early 70's

Whitney Coached LCM & scy
    5:00 - 6:30 dove in at 5:08
    started in the main pool LCM then we moved to the diving well SCY at 6:00 am
    swam with Todd, Mike, Korey, Traci, Nate & Jim

Warm Up
    swam easy mostly free
    900 or 1000

Main Set (LCM)
    4 x (50 FAST from a dive, 250 easy)
    1) fr cruised it went 31
    2) fr 29
    3) fr 28
    4) fl 26 or 7
    did easy 150's after each

Moved to diving well (SCY)

8 x (100 fast for time, 100 easy)
    each round on 4:00
    did fr on 1st 5
    started at 57's & worked down to 55's,
    dove each one off side,
    swam 75 2 beat kick 25 6 beat kick,
    felt pretty good & 1st time in a while where I went 55's with less effort than what it's taken in the past few months

6 k from push 70
    7 k from push 67
    8 k from dive with 2 min extra rest 62
    (she assigned 10 rounds but we ran out of time & only did 8)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets & events

Sun Jun 10Austin SharkFest Swim 1.5 miles
    Austin TX

Thu Jul 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Order of Events
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE

Sat Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    Swim Workouts
  19. Friday, 4/20/12

by , April 20th, 2012 at 11:55 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Took a rest day yesterday. The only thing I did was a core class at the gym (CXWorx).

Today - SCY, Solo

Warm Up (1400)
    300 swim - 150 free/150 back
    300 kick - w/snorkel & board
    300 drill - 200 IM drill + 100 free & back fist swim
    6 x 50 ds3 - 3/1:00, 3/50
    8 x 25/30 strong - 1-4 free, 5-8 back

Kick Set: (400)
    1 x 75 hands on thighs
    1 x 75 streamline
    1 x 50 swim - dps
    1 x 75 on back hands on thighs
    1 x 75 streamlined on back
    2 x 25 swim – dps

Main Set: (540)
    16 x 15/40 odds = finishes - evens = breakouts
    - rotated through fly-back-free by 2's
    8 x 25/1:00 AFAP - off blocks
    - odds fly and back from blocks, evens free from push
    1 x 50 ez
    1 x 50 off blocks AFAP swam back went 33±

Warm down 200

Total: 2540 yards
  20. Friday, April 20, 2012 5:15am

by , April 20th, 2012 at 11:39 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Kind of a meet warmup type of swim with a fast effort added on. Just kept it simple today with the meet coming up this weekend on Sunday.

4 x 100 Free @ 1:30
    3 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 (1:03/1:02/1:02) went hard effort
    200 IM Drill
    100 Kick EZ

Chatted for about 15 minutes, then:

1 x 100 Fly Sprint from a push (went 1:01)

100 EZ kick on back

1200 Yards

P.M. Swim...just for the heck of it.

I did this just to loosen up, since I may have to work tomorrow, and won't be able to hit the pool

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 descended them down to 1:04
    4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (went :40-:42s)
    3 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 (1:05, 1:05, 1:02)

1000 Yards

Feeling good for the meet on Sunday.

Updated April 20th, 2012 at 10:13 PM by jaadams1 (Did a 2nd swim tonight...semi EZ)

Swim Workouts , Daily Practices