View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. YAY! It's Monday!

by , April 9th, 2012 at 12:45 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    So... I realize the title is not a typical Monday morning sentiment, but I had a big day in the pool. I did my first 100 Free without fins or resorting to one-arm drills since my surgery! And... it was long course, too!

Most of my "swimming" since getting back in the water has been either kicking, one-arm drills, or easy stroke wearing fins to give me added lift in the water. I had managed a fin-free 50 Free last week, but my shoulder was tired after that. The water felt pretty good today and I managed to do 4 left arm only (the bad shoulder) fly drill strokes in a row. I can string together a few one-arm fly drill strokes, but still don't have the strength to get an actual fly full stroke going. I still need the extra body rotation I get from doing the drill one-armed. I know... I know... baby steps.

Other than the 100 Free, here's what else I did today:

200 Warm-Up ('cuz I was chatting...)
    5 x 200 on 3:30 (wearing fins - odds: fly/back drills by 50; evens: kick)
    6 x 50 Drill/swim by 25 (w/ fins) on 1:10
    1 x 200 Kick fast on ?:??? (don't remember, but I made the interval )
    2 x 50 Kick faster on 1:15
    4 x 25 Kick fastest on :30
    4 x 25 Sprint on 1:00 (did one-arm fly w/ fins)
    1 x 150 Free w/o fins (YAY! Took a break at the 100 for :10, swam easy 50)
    400 Cool-Down

Then, I went home and did my shoulder strengthening exercises. Right now, my shoulder feels pretty good. We'll see how it is after Round 2 of the strengthening goes.

On another happy note - I am now a certified Level 1 USA coach!!! Benefit to being out of the water... I realized how much I like being on deck too! YAY! Going for ASCA Level II and USMS certification at the Indianapolis class in June. Woo-hoo!

Enjoy your swims today and happy Monday!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Yay Taper!! Monday April 09 2012

by , April 9th, 2012 at 11:50 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Warm up:

600 choice
    8 x (25 drill + 25 kick), 2 x IM order @:15 RI
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @:40
    8 x 25 no breath DPS free w/paddles @:40
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

1 x AFAP 50 from blocks, if possible
    150 EZ
    full recovery

1 x broken AFAP 50, break :5 at 25
    150 EZ
    full recovery
    I may have been halucinating but I think UI went a 27 or lower...which is pretty spiffy for me in an endurance at my workout pool.

3 x broken AFAP 100s w/fins @ 7:00
    -- break at :15 @ 50 and @ 75
    -- last 25 is kick
    -- 200 EZ after each one

100 EZ

Total: 2950
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. FAST Fri Apr 6, 2012 LCM & SCY

by , April 9th, 2012 at 11:37 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Apr 6, 2012

Trained M, T, W, & T but didn't blog

I'm kind of still tapering and thinking about doing the Nitro Meet this Saturday Apr 14th & hopefully one more scy at the swim center before May 31st

2012 South Central Zones results are up

Whitney Coached started LCM then moved to well scy
    5:00 - 6:30 dove in on time

Warm Up
    went 1200

Main Set

3 rounds of
    400 fr desc by rounds (80%, 90%, 100%) on 8:00
    100 FAST on 2:00
    100 easy

20 x 50 on 1:00
    odds fast best ave
    evens easy
    did all the odds fly from a dive, held 28's & 7's

100 easy

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets (I'm considering)

Jul. 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE
    Order of Events

Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Easter Weekend update

by , April 9th, 2012 at 09:54 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, Easter came and went.

We had:
    Sea bass filets
    taragon chicken (which seems a fancy way of saying chicken & grapes)
    quiche-like sausage/white cheddar/egg/jalepeno thing in a casserole dish
    pasta salad (pasta, not a salad)
    salad (what I say is a salad, the green stuff)
    dessert bars
    any candy I could swipe from the girls and a suspiciously wet peep (yellow bird) that was on the table.
    root beer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    At the South Central Zone meet, there was a t-shirt vendor. He had Texas A&M Swimming sweatshirts, so I bought one. It was $30, and you get a free t-shirt. I only wanted a sweatshirt, but he said it was still $30. The t-shirts were not really my style. I am not into those "swimming is so tough" slogans, like "If swimming were any easier, it would be called football" or other corny sayings. The least offensive was "Hanging with my favorite swim peeps" and a picture of the a ducky and bunny peep, so I selected that one and wore it for my short walk on Easter.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Since I last posted, I think I did one workout, so here it is:

Sat, 04/07 SCM on my own

500 warm up

6 x 50 on 1:10 PFS

100 easy

4 x (15 sec no breath/25 blasto)

100 easy

2 x 100 kick no interval
    tummy, sides

100 easy

4 x 50 backstroke w/10 sec rest
    I am pretty sure my total elapsed time was a 3:18. That would make it 2:48 less the 3 x 10 secs, and that seems about right. I went moderate/strong, certainly not killing myself, and I think I could hold that for a true 200, at least total time, assuming I go out a bit faster. So at a conversion ratio of 1.1, that would make it 2:32.

100 easy

4 x DIVES

100 easy

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 25's were a bit harder since I ate lunch right before swimming! The backstrokes were ok, but it just wasn't as fun without having people around to race. It was very lonely out there!

I have decided not to use the KenpoX DVD. It's silly. I replaced it with CardioX. I am now on week #4 and I flip flopped days so yesterday I did core synergistics, which I also like. I cannot do the plank/chatarunga runs. The planks aren't too hard, but I can barely get myself down for the chatarunga ones. I do like the Dreya rolls. I'm not sure I am doing them "right", but I think if you squat, roll, and then squat back up with no/limited arm use, you are basically doing the right thing. If I had more rooom, i'd do a 1/2 turn and roll the other way.

+++++++++++++++++++++

This is a busy week! I don't think I can focus too much on swimming until I get on the plane. I think I will try to swim today (Mon) and Thurs and that should be good enough.

Next up:

The Colonies Zone meet, here is the site:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/ColoniesZone2012.htm
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 04.09.12 - Monday workout

by , April 9th, 2012 at 08:43 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Howard and 2 x Dave. Pool temp 84-85. Managed to contract a sinus infection over the weekend. Probably from mowing the grass Saturday.

SCY

400 warm up

6 x 100 Up/Down Kick - 1:40 (:10) Start w/ 50 Kick
    6 x 100 Up/Down Fly - 1:30 (:05) Start where you leave off from the up/down kick
    100 Easy
    Kick went well but I ran out of gas on the first 100 fly. Ended up way too veritcal and made a bad situation worse. Didn't get ahead of the interval until 25 Fly/ 75 Free. Pretty bad effort.

4 Times through:
    * 50 Easy - 1:00
    * 50 Hard - 1:00 (Try to make :35 - did :31-:33)
    * 100 Pull Easy - 1:30
    * 100 Pull Hard - 1:30 (Try to make 1:10 - did :59 to 1:01)
    50 Easy
    200 Timed pull (2:04)

10 x 25 - :40 No breather 2x Free, 2x fly, 2x underwater breast, 2x back, 2x spider scamper
    Lasted through bhe breast but couldn't make backstroke without some O2.

100 timed - breathe on walls ONLY (1:31)

200 Cool down

(3600 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. day 1 of taper, just felt slow of course the water was hot

by , April 9th, 2012 at 07:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    The aquatic center had issues again today, hot water! It was long course too which made it difficult to share with a bunch of slow swimmers.

One team kept spilling into the lap lane and I was getting mad. They need to use the lanes they rent not the lap lane!

The massage and ART on Friday did wonders!

600 free
    8x(25 drill + 25 kick) 2xIM order @:15 RI my kick seemed much stronger today
    8x25@:45 shooters w/zoomers
    8x25@:45 no breath DPS free w/paddles
    100 EZ

8x25@1:00 burst + cruise fly from wall free from mid pool
    100 EZ
    50 AFAP free went 37 from push
    150 EZ
    50 AFAP free break :05 @ 25 went 38 starting mid pool is hard
    150 EZ
    200 EZ
    100 kick w/zoomers

Total 2500meters

They turned the pool at 6:45 it bugs me on mondays when I can't finish.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Beach feast

It was another gorgeous day at Brighton Beach. I had a quick subway ride out and arrived just in time to meet John and Hannah in the parking lot, fresh from their long pre-ocean swim at Riverbank. We walked down to the beach together and had some nice relaxed time on the beach while awaiting the rest of the CIBBOWS gang. The sun was strong, and yesterday’s wind was back—there were already some whitecaps out on the water.

Soon more swimmers trickled out to the sand, and we started prepping for the swim. There were three of us there today who will be going to Iceland, and I decided today’s goal was to work on a quick entry into the water for the little OW swim we’re doing there. So after we got undressed and ready to go, Hannah and I did a countdown and ran into the chilly waves. I did pretty well, diving under the second plausible wave after I got thigh deep. That actually felt pretty ok—I didn’t feel shocked by getting into the cold water quickly rather than more gradually. But I did sort of miss the drama and histrionics of doing it the slow way.

The water was again beautifully clear—I could see the sandy bottom for a very long way out. Long wisps of green seaweed undulated about under the waves. We headed out towards the white building, the same direction that the wind was pushing the water. The swells pushed me along and made the swimming easy. For a while I was with Hannah and John, then I got separated and swam by myself for a bit. I went a little slower than yesterday, savoring the sensation of the clear cold water and the bright blue sky. I could feel the sun’s warmth on my back, and turned over to backstroke and feel it on my face.

I swam past the big jetty to the smaller jetty and on towards the pilings. The waves really picked up, and I started getting tossed around a bit. It was fun, but I began to get a little nervous about swimming back against them. I knew that even if the conditions were rough on the way back I would need to swim, since walking or running back on the beach would mean going into the wind in a wet swimsuit. I turned around a bit before the white building because I didn’t know how long it would take to get back.

As it turned out, the current was with me on the way back in, and the swim went pretty quick. I was back to the big jetty before I knew it, and the waves got little again once I was past it—just little swells that were easy to swim into. I passed over a gathering of horseshoe crabs—about a dozen of them all gathered together on the bottom—and watched all the people on the beach as I swam in. Soon I was back up on the blanket, and quickly got into my clothes. I didn’t get as chilled as yesterday—I was in the water for less than half as long—so it only took one quick jog to warm up.

Less warming time meant more time for feasting and socializing. We had quite the Easter bounty today—John had brought exquisite chocolate-and-peanut-butter birds nests, complete with pastel eggs, Hannah had brought bunny-shaped pasta salad, and there were also dyed eggs (my contribution), chocolate bunnies, and of course peeps! Everyone stuck around to nosh and chat and enjoy the lovely beach day. The bunny-themed picnic seemed apt, since Coney Island was originally named for its population of rabbits.

As always, this weekend’s combination of cold water, ample sunlight, and happy fellowship was intoxicating, and left me looking forward to more next weekend!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Swimboy Pictorial

by , April 8th, 2012 at 04:03 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Leaving tomorrow to interview Mr. Lochte; hoping, upon return, for advice and commentary on this and that regarding hodge podge below:

Picture 1.

Note: this first picture is the only entirely swimming related-part of today's vlog, so readers who can respond with advice to the questions raised therein will be excused from continuing onwards into what, even I concede, is ultimately a dark place indeed beginning around Picture 5.

Picture 2.

Artists abound within our swimming ranks. At our recent Y championships at Clarion University, an incredibly affable swimmer named Mike Genz drew the following for my coach's 6-year-old daughter, Ciara. Mike was an animator for Disney till carpal tunnel forced him to take a break. He got a tenured position at Edinboro University teaching animation, and that's how he wound up in our hickish neck of the woods. While employed by Disney, he worked on numerous films. He did, for example, all of Ariel's sisters in The Little Mermaid, plus all the eels!

Picture 3.

Another great swimmer-illustrator is our very own D.B. "Doug" Dowd, who posts under the name Red60.

Picture 4.

Red it is! Anybody with an interest in graphic design and a wonderful way of bringing travel to life should contact Red for a copy of Spartan Holiday!
    You can send him a private message here: http://forums.usms.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=4764

Picture 5.

Hypothesis: you don't need to be talented to be a good artist. Example: I happened upon the following picture of myself and noticed that the bottom half of my upside down face had a certain science fiction quality that was more attractive, or at least more commanding, than the top half.

Picture 6.

Using Microsoft Paint, I surgically excised the unwanted parts of my face, added a new forehead, sketched in a little mouth, and added some arms. It occurred to me that upside down, and with half my head removed, I looked exactly like one of my pugs!

Picture 7.

Hypothesis: Disproven. You do need to be talented to be a good artist. I sent my concept to my twin brother, John "Rusty Scupperton" Thornton, who brought the Pug Jim chimera disturbingly to life!

The picture reminded me greatly of a poem most of us read in college, which sounds a powerful cautionary note against the bestial impulse that, quite frankly, is universal in human males:

The Pug Child

WITH APOLOGIES TO JAMES L. DICKEY
    Pug owners wild to couple
    With anything with soft-curly tails
    With mounds of earth mounds
    Of pinestraw will keep themselves off
    Animals by legends of their own:
    In the dog nest dark
    And dung of yards, they will
    Say I have heard tell

That in a museum in Ambridge, PA

Way back in a corner somewhere
    There’s this thing that’s only half
    Pug like a worried baby
    Pickled in alcohol because
    Those things can’t live. his eyes
    Are open but you can’t stand to look
    I heard from somebody who ...

But this is now almost all

Gone. The boys have taken
    Their own true wives in the city,
    The pugs are safe in the west hill
    Kennel but we who were born there
    Still are not sure. Are we,
    Because we remember, remembered
    In the terrible dust of museums?

Merely with his eyes, the pug-child may

Be saying saying

I am here, in my father’s Dog-gloo.

I who am half of your world, came deeply
    To my mother before her bowl
    Of Science Diet, where she stood like moonlight
    Listening for pussies. It was something like love
    From another world that seized her
    From behind, and she gave, not lifting her head
    Out of the kibble, without ever looking, her best
    Self to that great need. Turned loose, she dipped her face
    Farther into the Kennel Ration, and in a sound
    Of sobbing of something stumbling
    Away, began, as she must do,
    To carry me. I woke, dying,

In the summer sun of the hillside, with my eyes

Far more than human. I saw for a blazing moment
    The great dog run world from both sides,
    Man and wolves in the round of their need,
    And the hill wind stirred in my coat,
    My paw and my hand clasped each other,
    I ate my one meal
    Of Purina Chow, and died
    Staring. From dark meat I came straight

To my father’s house, whose dust

Whirls up in the halls for no reason
    When no one comes piling deep in a hellish mild corner,
    And, through my immortal waters,
    I meet the sun’s flesh eye
    To eye, and they fail at my closet of glass.
    Dead, I am most surely living
    In the minds of pug owning boys: I am he who drives
    Them like wolves from the sow and hen
    And from the chaste bitch in the wind.
    They go into woods into bean fields they go
    Deep into their known right hands. Dreaming of me,
    They groan they wait they suffer
    Themselves, they marry, they raise their kind.

Picture 8.

Chances are that anyone who has continued reading up to this point will enjoy the bejesus out of my wonderful brother's latest movie, itself a tremendous gem of activist art! How I love the good nature and earnest bonhomie/sensibility of this American Baby!

To complete your Easter journey, simply click on here to find out that there are worse monsters afoot in these United States than the odd, short-lived Pug Children who live for a day among us before expiring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpQ...V6qahcFfHS-cI=

Updated April 8th, 2012 at 04:09 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. April 6, 2012

Warm-up (1600)
    1 x 200 free
    1 x 200 IM kick-drill by 25s
    4 x 100 @ 1:45, gentle descend
    4 x 50 @ 1:10, back - odds kick hard / drill easy by 25s, evens build to fast
    4 x 50 @ 1:10, breast - odds kick hard / drill easy by 25s, evens build to fast
    4 x 100 @ 1:35, descend to 500 pace (1:14)

Set I - High Rest Repeats (1200 set / 2800 total)
    2 x
    • 2 x 200 @ 3:30, target 500 pace (2:28)
    • 4 x 50 @ :50, :55, 1:00, 1:05 active recovery

Set II - Broken 1650 (1650 set / 4450 total)
    2 x 300 @ 4:30 (target 3:48)
    2 x 200 @@ 3:00 (target 2:32)
    2 x 150 @ 2:15 (target 1:52)
    2 x 100 @ 1:30 (target 1:16)
    3 x 50 @ :45 (target :38)

Wrap-up (200 set / 4650 total)
    4 x 50 @ :50, :55, 1:00, 1:05 active recovery

* 4650 *

I started the workout in a 25 yard pool but the temperature was only 74 degrees and I was shivering by the time I finished the finshed the high rest repeats so I shifted over to the 25 meter pool, which was 84 degrees. Dropped the 3 x 50 from the broken 1650 to make it a broken 1500.

Updated April 8th, 2012 at 03:29 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. April 5, 2012

Warm-up (1450)
    1 x 400: 100 free swim, 300 IM k/d/d by 25s
    3 x
    • 4 x 25 @ :40, odds kick, evens drill
    • 3 x 50 @ :50, descend within round to target 1650 pace (:36)
    • 1 x 100 @ :50, descend by round to target 500 pace (1:14)

Set I - Low Rest Repeats (1400 set / 2850 total)
    2 x
    • 5 x 100 @ 500 RACE PACE + 0:10 (1:25), aiming to make the interval with approximately 5 seconds rest
    • 4 x 50 @ :50, :55, 1:00, 1:05

Set II - High Rest Repeats (1200 set / 4050 total)
    2 x
    • 2 x 200 @ 3:10 per 100, hit target 500 RACE PACE (1:14)
    • 4 x 50 @ :50, :55, 1:00, 1:05

* 4050 *

This [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20491"]Workout #2, High Rest / Low Rest[/ame] from this week's High Volume Workouts. I got started late and ran out of time, so I wasn't able to do Set II.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. April 3, 2012 - Santa Clara Masters

Santa Clara Masters

When I started swimming for four months it had been so long since I did any regular swimming and I was so out of shape that I figured I might as well focus my workouts on freestyle for a while. Now that I feel like I am starting to get into shape I want to add some stroke work to practices, but because I don't swim with a team I haven't been sure what to do about getting help with my technique - which has lots of room improvement.

There are plenty of good videos on the internet that I can pick up pointers from, but don't feel like I will really know if I am doing things correctly unless I get feedback from someone watching me. The coaches at the Walnut Creek Masters Intensive Training Camp were really helpful, but it was only one weekend. There are at least 6 masters teams here in the East Bay so I thought about joining one, but I really enjoy the people I have been swimming with and the pool where I swim in is only three blocks from home so it is extremely convenient.

I live in the East Bay but my office is 55 miles south in Silicon Valley, so I work from home as often as I can. On the days I go into the office I try to be on the road between 5 and 5:30 to beat traffic, and my afternoons are usually fully booked picking up kids and running them around to their various after school activities, preparing dinner, etc. This means that my weekday swimming has been mostly done in the mornings on the days I work at home.

Thinking about this last week it suddenly occurred to me that there must also be teams near work, and that I could probably swim with one on the days that I go into work. Duh! Sometimes the most obvious things just don't occur to me...

So I have decided to "test drive" teams that practice within 20-30 minutes of my office to hopefully find one that I can swim with part time and get some coaching. I decided to start with the Santa Clara Swim Club. They practice at the George Haines International Swim Center, less than 10 minutes from my office.

I am really interested in getting help with my technique so I decided to try "group 2", about which they say "Feedback and drills are prevalent throughout the course of workout". I went by the pool on Monday to find it and chat with the coach, and showed up Tuesday with my gear.

Warm-up (900)
    300 swim before workout started
    3 x
    • 4 x 25 @ :30 drill
    • 2 x 50 build swim

IM order (no free) by round

Set I (1300 set / 2200 total)
    4 x
    • 3 x 75 @ 1:20, 50 stroke 1 + 25 stroke 2
    • 4 x 25 @ :30, free, stroke 1, stroke 2, free

RD1 stroke 1 was fly, stroke 2 was back. RD2 stroke 1 was back, stroke 2 was breast. etc.

Set II (600 set / 2800 total)
    2 x
    • 4 x 50 @ :50, 1 fast, 1 moderate, 1 cruise, 1 easy
    • 1 x 200 @ 2:50 (went 2:36, 2:35)

Pulling with buoy and paddles

* 2800 *

I was slightly worried that the workout would be too easy as the prerequisite for this group is "must be able to swim repeat 100 freestyle on intervals between 1:40 and 2:10". Ha, my fly is so pathetic and I have done almost 100% freestyle since starting swimming again that I was whipped by the end of practice :-)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. A chilly trip to the pier

I had a wonderful swim at Brighton Beach today. I got a ride out and arrived early, well before the arranged 11 am meet-up time—plenty of time to chat, play catch, stretch, and take a quick nap before splash time. It was a beautiful bright sunny morning, a little chilly (air temp 50) and windy, but the water was so bright and sparkly that I was impatient to get in. A few swimmers had been out yesterday, and the report from them was that the water temp was still stuck at 47. Nippy, but still swimmable!

By the time 11 am rolled around the wind had picked up, and the water was dotted with whitecaps. There was some discussion of which way to swim—the current was reportedly pulling west, but the wind was coming from that direction as well, so it was partly a question of which you wanted to swim against on the way back in. Most opted for the white building (a 1 mile roundtrip), but I wanted to go towards the pier (2 miles). I was joined in that direction by Dave and Willie.

I was quicker than usual getting in—no fun standing in frigid water getting pummeled by wind! The water was exceptionally clear and I could see the bottom for a long ways out. I was quickly joined by Dave, and we headed out beyond the jetties. He was setting a pretty brisk pace, and I struggled to keep up. I could feel that the water was cold, but I was working hard and didn’t feel like it was making me cold anywhere but on my face.

We passed one jetty after another, often stroking along in synch. After a while we were past the aquarium, and nearing the parachute drop. I was enjoying the emerald green water and the bright sunlight filtering through it. Suddenly I heard a boat—it was loud, and sounded like it was coming towards us. I looked ahead, didn’t see anything, then saw Dave looking past me to our left. I changed my breathing to that direction, and saw a blue police boat heading quite rapidly towards us. We both angled in towards shore—away from the boat—and I watched it slow as it pulled even with us. The people on board seemed to be watching us. We kept on swimming, watching the boat as we pulled past it.

As we got nearer to the pier Dave spotted Willie behind us. I stopped, then we all swam further on until we reached the last jetty before the pier, our turn-around point. There wasn’t much chatting—it was too cold to stop for long—just a general agreement that we would now swim back. Dave reported that we’d been swimming for 30 minutes. At this point I was feeling pretty cold through, but still had good feeling and control of my hands and legs, so I wasn’t worried.

We headed back, this time a little closer in to the jetties. In this direction the waves were travelling the same direction we were, and I enjoyed feeling the swells pushing me along. The sun was still shining bright and I felt very content and grateful to be out swimming on such a beautiful day. At one point some white things smaller than my pinky nail swam under us—I thought at first that they were air bubbles generated by my stroke, but they weren’t.

The scenery on shore seemed to go by very fast on the way back, and before I knew it we had passed back by the aquarium and were in the home stretch. I though briefly about continuing on and doing a loop, but the thought of getting back to the beach and getting warmed up was too enticing. We swam in very close to shore for the last few hundred meters. It was so clear and I could see the bottom so well that I thought we were only in 3-4 feet of water, but when I stopped I discovered that the water was still over my head.

I didn’t linger in the water floating once we were done—I felt like I was close to shivering if I just stayed in without swimming. I waded to shore and got quickly changed out of my suit. I was sad to leave the water behind—it was absolutely beautiful out there today—but 47 degrees does get a little cold after a while! All told, we were in for an hour.

After I got dressed I ran up and down the beach to try and generate some heat. It took a while for the shivers and teeth chattering to set in, and then a while for them to stop. But they never hit me uncomfortably hard today, and with the warm sun out it was actually kind of fun to feel the contrast between the warm rays and sand and the cold inside me. I drank my hot chocolate and had a nice visit on the beach with the rest of the CIBBOWs crew—there were about 10 of us out today.

A delicious lunch near the marina rounded out the day. It was a classic spring day at the beach, and I was grateful to get in another cold-water swim with friends before the weather warms up and the crowds come out!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 10K (11000 SCY)... oh, the humanity!

by , April 7th, 2012 at 07:58 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Can't believe I swam the whole thing!

...especially since I wasn't feeling particularly good yesterday when I swam only 3K. That experience and the realization that I was going to have to turn around and swim 10K today if I was going to get it in at all this weekend (tomorrow is Easter!) had me dosing myself with ibuprofen, joint juice, vitamins, anything I thought my body might be missing to make me feel better last night.

This morning I had my bagel with peanut-butter, a couple of cups of coffee, then two packets of instant oatmeal, and headed out the door with 24 ounces of pretty strongly mixed gatorade. I got in the pool just after noon. Such a beautiful day outside, there weren't many folks at the Y (I never had to share a lane all afternoon). I decided to wear my USMS Open Water Championship (2.4-mile) cap from last year as added encouragement. And what a fashion statement that lime-green color makes! At some point in the locker room I remembered that this swim would put me over 150 miles for the year; when I swam that OW 2.4-miler in Madison, WI last August I had just barely gotten to 150 miles on the year... hard to believe!

The swim started slowly and I had my doubts in the first 2-3K, but I found a rhythm between 3-4K and was able to keep it going through 6K. I finished that first 6K in my fastest time (a little under 1:58:00) swimming the Freestyle portions in 1:45/100 pace, being careful not to overdo it. I mixed in 100 breast every kilometer. After finishing the first 6K non-stop I jumped out quickly to go to the bathroom and then got back in at just over the two-hour mark.

The final 4K was pretty torturous. I finished the 7th K and thought to myself "I still have 3K to go?!"--not what you want to be telling yourself when the fatigue starts to sink in. 8th K: a slog fest, this kilometer took me the longest of all of them (I did stop to chat with another swimmer I know from work also, losing a couple of minutes, but this wasn't going to be my fastest K of the day anyway). 9K went by a little faster because I think I kept telling myself "yeah, if you're not feeling it you can get out at 10,000 yards instead of 11,000; that's only 100 more once you finish this K."

I got to 10,000 yards and ran out of gatorade; but I kept going. I alternated gliding 100s with normal 100s (my "front crawl" definitely had the emphasis on "crawl"; I tried backstroke for one 50; I did 175 breast, and then the final 25 elementary backstroke while balancing my water bottle with my teeth, waiting for those last precious drops to make their way down.

My lats were burning with every stroke in that last 1000, but I did it! 10K; 11,000 yards; 6.2 miles... it took me 3:35:00 total time (about 3:30:00 of actual swim time). I'll sleep well tonight!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 04.07.12 - Saturday workout

by , April 7th, 2012 at 04:53 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Bob, Bob and Sally. Everyone had their own lane. Kind of warm for the Natatorium... ~84.

SCY

550 Warm up

200 Kick
    3 x 200 Free - 3:10 (2:25-2:20)
    200 Kick
    2 x 200 IM - 3:30 (2:40 ish)
    200 Kick
    1 x 200 Choice - I picked fly and did a pretty dismal 3:10.

4 x 50 Kick - 1:30 Fast (I did IM :40 to :50)

10 x 50 Pull - :50 Breathe left down, right back (low :30s)

4 times through:
    * 50 Fly drill
    * 25 Fly
    * 50 Back/50 Breast
    * 50 * iteration Free
    * 25 Free

200 Cool down

(4550 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:00am

by , April 7th, 2012 at 03:56 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Just got in a light swim at the Y today. Light in terms of yardage, but the intensity was up there a bit.

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:05-1:07s)

10 x 50 Kick w/ board (:39-:41 for first 5, :42s for second 5)

Pull Set w/ paddles:
    200 @ 2:40 (went 2:14)
    175 @ 2:20 (?)
    150 @ 2:00 (1:36)
    125 @ 1:40 (1:20)
    100 @ 1:20 (1:03)
    75 @ 1:00 (:47)
    50 @ :40 (:29)
    25 @ :20 (:14)

Gave myself a bit easier intervals than normal, but really attacked the set.

100 EZ

--------------------
    2000 Yards

1 more week till the PNA Champs in Federal Way, WA. Yesterday there were only 250 or so people signed up, currently...329!! Open registration till midnight tonight.

I'm swimming:
    400 IM (Best event in the world)
    200 Back (worst event in the world - after the 50 Free)
    100 Breast - just for fun
    50 Fly
    200 Free (as a 200 Fly - this is fun doing this, because I almost always get a good race)

These are 5 of the first 6 events of Saturday's sessions, but since there are so many entries in the meet I'll have plenty of rest time between each event. I'm skipping the 50 Free which falls between the 200 Back/100 Breast. Plenty of rest for a middle D guy at least!! hehehe
  16. Saturday, 4/7/12

by , April 7th, 2012 at 01:48 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Did this with swim buddy this morning. Went ok but I just couldn't seem to get going fast as I thought I should.

Warm up: (1400)
    200 swim, 200 kick
    200 drill/swim – 200 scull/pull by 50’s
    4 x 25/30 strong - alternated free & back
    4 x 25/30 burst + cruise - alternated free & back

2 x 50/50 free build
    1 x 100/2:00 Strong
    2 x 50/:55 back build
    1 x 100 easy

Main Set: (1200)
    6 x 100/7:00 - ALL OUT!!!!
    - All free, off blocks, swam easy 100 after each. Swim buddy and I timed each other, I went:
    - 1:08.00, 1:07.13, 1:08.9, 1:08.12, 1:07.26, 1:09.97

Warm down
    400 easy

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Good Friday, April 6, 2012 5:00am and 5:30pm Lactate

by , April 6th, 2012 at 10:37 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Good Friday...a paid holiday for my work company. They can't afford to take a day off in the cherry harvest season for Independence Day, so we get this day as a holiday. It's really nice this time of year to have a 3 day weekend (at least if you're not in maintinence). I got to work, so it was OT + Holiday pay today!

================================

A.M. Workout:

300 Free
    300 Free Pull
    10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:42-:44s)

8 x 150 Free @ 1:50 (held 1:35-1:38s)
    • odds swim, evens swim w/ paddles
    • another guy did the same interval w/ me, but 125s. Worked out well.
    100 Free stretch out

5 x 100 Fly @ 1:30 (others did free, I just trailed them, but was catching them)

300 EZ

-------------------------
    3200 Yards

=================================

P.M. Workout:

4 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (held 1:05-1:07s) nice warmup pace!

8 x 50 Kick w/ board (first one :39, rest of them :40-:42s) rockin!!!

200 Free Pull

Lactate Main Set:

4 x 100 IMO @ 4:00

did a 100 Free EZ after each 100, but kept the fast ones on each 4:00
    • Fly - 1:02
    • Back - 1:09
    • Breast - 1:16
    • Free - :57
    • Add-up time - 4:24 400 IM
    • If this means anything, I think my 4:30.01 entry time next week is getting beat!
    200 Kick w/ board EZ

4 x 75 Free @ 1:10

Couldn't really do anything more after the lactate work...plus my right hamstring is bugging me...probably from something at work.

------------------------
    2300 Yards

5500 Yards for the day
  18. Friday 4/6/12

Friday 4/6 (Friday Fly Day)

AM only SCY

Another day without a workout on Thursday, life has just kept me busy this week.

600 100FR/100K FL on side
    400 pull buoy only
    8x50 @ 1:00 K/Dr 2 each stroke IM order
    4x100 @ 1:30 IM (O: Drill, E: Swim)

10x100
    2 @ 1:20 D1-2
    2 @ 1:15 D1-2
    6 @ 1:10 red HR (mix of 1:01s and 1:02s, 26/10)

2x300 @ 4:10 IM (1: Dr/Sw/Bld, 2: Swim)
    8x25 @ :30 Fly (1 AE/3 Fast)
    3x200 @ 3:00 IM D1-3 (2:38, 2:29, 2:15)
    6x50 @ 1:00 Fly (1 AE/2 Fast)
    4x100 @ 1:30 IM D1-2, D3-4
    1:00
    4x75 @ 1:30 Fly w/ fins FAST (:38, :39, :39, :37)

200 EZ

Total: 5400
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Friday IG, April 6

by , April 6th, 2012 at 05:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/w/Jimby:

20 x 50 @ :55

10 x (75 EZ + :10 RI + 25 fast) @ 2:00
    -- I did nothing fast
    -- most was breast-back kick-breast-back kick (no backstroke flgs at one end)

8 x 50 kick @ 1:20
    -- supposed to be 25 hard + 25 EZ
    -- I just did easy kick

10 x 50 EZ @ :55

Total: 2900

Rehab/stretching, 40 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I should definitely not have done a speed workout yesterday. That was 3 between Mon-Thurs. My left side is barking at me some now. Planning to take the weekend off anyway. But it could be kind of a sideways or recovery week this week if it doesn't feel better, which hopefully it will. I have had a vey hard three weeks of training since the Albatross meet. Need to taper; glad it's here!

Updated April 6th, 2012 at 09:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. First swim post-op 04/07/12

by , April 6th, 2012 at 05:22 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Yes Doctor, I understand, no swimming until at least 2 weeks after surgery. Preferably 4 weeks. Humph. Got in 1100 today - my right arm is not working quite the way it was last Friday! I think I'd better try to wrap my brain around a 4 week recovery period for each arm, instead of 2 weeks. Who knows when I'll be back up to speed again? (Mostly I'm just swimming to try & keep the darn GTD genie from hollering at me!)
    Categories
    Uncategorized