View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Workout 11/07/11

by , November 7th, 2011 at 02:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy) 200 FR/200 BK w/u

200 FR Pull with Buoy (2:15)
    8 x 50 kick
    200 FR Pull with Buoy (2:19)
    1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 100 IM
    1 x 50 EZ
    8 x 50 (25 drill, 25 sprint)

200 junk w/d

(2300, 45 min)
    Nice to get back into the water for the first time since Thursday. I am picking up one twelve and one 4 hour shift this week, so I am working 8-8 M-Th, so the only time I can swim is 6-7:30. I don't enjoy getting up this early, so I got the pool a tad after 6:30 and found the crowd beat me there! I found that my turns were not very springy, so I focused on that today.

With the Riverton (Maine) meet coming up this weekend, I am making myself get up early to get some form of a workout in. As I was getting changed, my wife hollered in to the locker room to see if I was there - reminded me of my mom trying to hurry me out of the locker room when I was 8! haha

Good times. Fast times coming this weekend ...

Updated November 7th, 2011 at 11:48 PM by rxleakem

Swim Workouts
  2. Monday, 11/7/11

by , November 7th, 2011 at 01:49 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)

Warmup (1300)
    500 swim choice
    - did free & back
    5 x 100 build, 1, 3, 5 free/1:40; 2, 4 back/1:50
    - ave 1:21 on free, 1:30 on back
    12 x 25/40, desc to fast by 4's
    - did 1-4 fly, 17 on fast; 5-8 back, 18 on fast; 9-12 free, 15 on fast

Main Set (450)
    150 build - went 2:05
    25 from blocks - did fly, 16
    (easy 25 to get back to start end)
    rest 1:00

100 build - went 1:20
    25 from blocks - did back, 17

50 build - went 37
    25 from blocks - free, 15

Warm down (350)
    4 x 50/1:15 easy free and back
    150 easy free
    100 easy back

2100 yards
  3. Too tired to Sprint 11/7/11

by , November 7th, 2011 at 11:32 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Logging trees in the backyard and general post storm clean up took it's toll

Warm Up
    600 FR/BK by 100
    10 x 50 K (used fins for time saving)
    100 EZ

5 x 50 Drill/50 Swim
    5 x 100 FR fast 3:00 first two circa 1:10/ last 3 circa 1:14 ~ bleh!
    100 EZ
    8 x 50 from mid pool 2 turns 1:00
    100 EZ
    8 x 50 FR Fast/50 V EZ 3:00 nothing < :34

500 Fin Kick FR/FL by 50
    300 EZ

Can't really sprint on those intervals and I was beaten up from the yard work. That said, it was good from a pain tolerance/reminder POV~especially as I haven't really swam that hard in a while...
  4. 11.7.11 - Monday workout

by , November 7th, 2011 at 10:33 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    <Irrelevant Soccer stuff> My oldest son's team was second in our AYSO area this weekend and get to move on to the State tournament. I always wanted to take a team to State... until this year. I want them to win and I cheer for them louder than anyone. But I'm just ready for soccer to end for the season. I was also planning to go to a meet in Nashville in 2 weeks. Guess I won't be doing that now . As for my son's team, they played awesome and I couldn't be more excited about that.
    Refereed some of the most entertaining games I've ever been part of. A U12 Boys team came up from Sand Rock, AL. When you think of Alabama, these are the kind of people you think of. Really nice people. Just more vocal about their teams and their kids play soccer very well. Anyway, the head coach yelled (mostly positive stuff) the entire game in a voice that sounded almost exactly like Larry the Cable Guy. Funny stuff.</Irrelevant Soccer stuff>

Swam w/ Kent, Roger, Dave, Dave, Teresa and Jeffrey today. Lane assignments fluxxed but I mostly swam in Kent's lane. Wore my Aquablade jammer. Pool temp about 83.

500 Warm up
    5 x 100 IM - 1:35

3 Times through:
    * 4 x 50 - :45 Stroke/Free (1st through- fly, 2nd back, 3rd breast)
    * 4 x 50 - :50 IM Order
    * 2 x 250 50 Fly/150 Free/50 Fly (1st through - 4:00, 2nd - 3:50, 3rd - 3:40)
    50 Easy

8 x 100 Up/Down Kick - 1:40 (:05). Start w/ 50 Kick.

100 Cool down

(4650 Total)

Updated November 7th, 2011 at 11:53 AM by pmccoy

Swim Workouts
  5. Mon nov 7

by , November 7th, 2011 at 09:54 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Howdy from Orlando

Trained, didn't blog

Fast Fri
    Trained 5 am - 6
    then left to catch plane to Orlando

Sat & Sun
    Body surfed at Typhoon Lagoon
    Wave pool

At conference
    Lifted weights hope to swim
  6. My old friend...Distance

by , November 7th, 2011 at 09:41 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today was a distance day for me.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    15x100 Free w/paddles & bouy #1-5@1:35, #6-9@1:30, #10-12@1:25, #13-14@1:20, #15@1:15 made all but the last one held 1:18 on last 7
    500 Free w/snorkle EASY

Total 3500 yards
  7. Late-season loop

Today I swam the 5K loop at Brighton Beach. Cara measured the water temp at 51—if that’s accurate, it’s a new PR low temp for that distance. I set out today wanting to swim a loop, and was pleased to meet my goal, but was even happier with what a great experience it was. I had Hannah for company on the trip out to the pier and back, then swam by myself for the last mile. The water was green and gorgeous and felt comfortable the whole way. A west wind created some rolling chop that made swimming in that direction a little difficult, but the easy trip back eastwards more than made up for it. I felt relaxed and blissy in the water the whole time, and enjoyed being gently lulled by the waves as I stroked along.

When we swam by Coney Island it had a deserted feel—the amusement parks are closed for the season, so we no longer get to enjoy the sight of the rides going up and down and around as we swim by. Even the lettering has been taken down from the Wonder Wheel—and without its giant letters, it just looks like an ordinary ferris wheel. It’s definitely the off-season now (although we did see a plane trailing a banner going by when we were chatting at the pier—seemed kind of strange to be advertising to an empty beach).

I don’t generally have songs persisting in my head when I ow swim, but this weekend I did. Yesterday it was “Yellow Submarine” and “Gypsies Tramps and Thieves,” which got a quickly monotonous. Today it was “Don’t Fence Me In” and “Both Sides Now,” which was definitely an improvement. I think the latter was inspired by seeing the ferris wheel, since that’s in the lyrics, not by my bilateral breathing. (Although I’m happy to report I’m still breathing to both sides, even though the injury that prompted that has healed.)

But now to the most important news of the day: The soup du jour was minestrone. And it was delicious. It was so great sitting out on the sunny beach with friends enjoying John’s delicious soup. We had a nice CIBBOWS+friends crowd out today—there were about a dozen of us on the beach. The minestrone was followed by Hannah’s wonderful cookies, and some pumpkin bread that I brought out. Nothing better than a post-swim feast on the sand with friends!

The weather this week looks like it might warm up a little. Hoping for a few more beach days before it gets too cold to swim!

And now, just because I'm still not tired of it even after 5K: [nomedia=""]Judy Collins - Both Sides Now - YouTube[/nomedia]
  8. Toast

by , November 6th, 2011 at 03:29 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    I've had a pool-centric weekend. Lifeguarding at the middle school, coaching the kiddies, got a swim in, and today I got a swim in, and I'm on the way to teach a swim lesson.

This is what I swam yesterday afternoon at Vassar:

1000 warm-up:
    4x25 swim
    4x50 rev. IM order
    4x75 kick, drill, swim, IMO
    4x100 on 2:00

3x125 (75 IMO +50 free) (25 recover)
    3x100 (50 IMO + 50 free)
    3x75 (25 IMO + 50 free) (25 recover)
    3x75 (25 IMO + 25 free)

3x100 @ 1:45
    3x100 @ 1:35
    3x100 @ 3:00 (made it on 1:21, 1:20, 1:22)

3x100 kick: 50 fly, 50 flutter

300 breathe every 3
    200 breathe every 2
    100 breathe every 7

100 play

I had 3 important goals for this workout:

1) figure out the fly. I have the kind of stroke where I pause and glide at the top of the stroke, and I'm trying to teach myself not to let my hands stop there. I can make it work on one or two strokes, especially if I don't breathe. I think it works best when I can change the timing of my kick. But sometimes my hands just slip through the water.

2) making those 100's as fast as possible, which I decided would take extra rest. I was happy that I got all those 100's in under 1:30, and in under 1:25 when I really cooked them. Eventually, I'd like to see if I can do that without the extra rest.

3) Alternate side breathing! I'm starting to feel some issues with my right shoulder, and I chaffed my neck on the 1650 last weekend after mostly breathing on my right. I took the last 600 of the workout as slow as I could to keep myself from cheating.

Earlier today, I swam 2000 over at the CIA. The pool was over 80 degrees and I was falling way behind on my turns, so me and my swim buddy stopped the written workout, and focused on some turning drills. I think I might have had a small breakthrough by getting my feet lower on the wall so I can push off deeper in the water. I can't wait to see if it works in practice!

Off to teach some eight-year-olds how to do legal breaststroke!
  9. Saturday, 11/5/11

by , November 6th, 2011 at 11:01 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)

Warm up: (1000)

300 swim free & back
    200 kick on back, alt 50 dolphin, 50 flutter
    6 x 50/1:00 build, 1-3 back, 4-6 free
    4 x 25/40: odds fast fly, evens easy free
    100 easy

Set #1 (400)
    12 x 25/40 - 1:00
    1) 12.5 fast dolphin to breakout - 12.5 ez
    2) 12.5 ez - 12.5 fast to finish
    3) 25 easy
    - Did 1-3 & 10-12 fly, 4-6 back, 7-9 free
    100 easy

Set #2 (400)
    8 x 50/2:00 All off blocks - 35 fast with turn & breakout then then easy back to start end
    - 1-3 fly w/easy free after breakout
    - 5-7 back
    - #4 & 8 easy free

Warm down (300)
    100 swim/drill by 25's - 100 swim/kick by 25's - 100 swim

Total: 2100 yards
  10. TT Outrage: the Prologue

by , November 5th, 2011 at 11:08 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Prologue: 1962

A highly competitive 10-year-old mathlete (in the days before mathletes technically existed) named Jimmy Thornton sits at his wooden desk, distracting himself from anxiety by reading the words carved into the wood by previous generations of students. One strikes his fancy.

Hmm, thinks young Jim, didn’t Stephen Daedalus find a similar word etched into his desk in Dublin? But no sooner has Jim begun to calm himself with literary references than the gravel throat of Mr. Glarow, 5th Grade math teacher, intrudes, reanimating all his prepubescent hormones of anxiety and dread.

“Your performance on this test, class, was as usual abominable,” Glarow says.

A salt-and-pepper crowned and tweed-coated Pittsburgher in his mid-50s, Charles “Chuck” Glarow is a distinguished looking fellow with more than a passing resemblance to William Hopper’s character, Paul Drake, the private investigator for Raymond Burr’s lawyer, Perry Mason, namesake of the original B&W TV version of the legal drama.

Jim thinks to himself that no matter how much authority Mr. Glarow
    looks to possess, he is simply incorrect about at least one of his student’s mathematical performance on this particular test, which was not really a test at all, but rather a species of child’s play for Jim, just as all the other so-called tests this year have proved to be child’s play, leading to a cumulative 100 percent perfect average since the first day of class back in September.

The melancholy groans of his fellow students only make that tiny portion of Jim’s brain that is properly described as sociopathic smile. Clearly, they are examining their grades on something that for them has proven, in fact,
    more than a test: a trial or tribulation, perhaps, or maybe a sentencing--and are now finding that their formerly average F’s—50 percent, say, or maybe 45 percent marks—have plummeted even closer to Absolute Zero.

Young Jim’s anxiety dims as he finds himself thinking about the genius of the Kelvin scale.
    Oh, what a foil for my own perfect score these dullards’ best work will serve!

And then the unthinkable happens. Mr. Glarow, who despite his rugged good looks, who despite the endless stories he tells about hunting bears in the mountains of West Virginia every weekend during bear season, who despite these and many other claims to manliness, still lives at home with Mother,
    this Mr. Glarow, this oddity and enigma of a private school fifth grade mathematical instructor with an arsenal of weapons at home and, presumably, an endless supply of freshly laundered underwear cleaned by Mother, hands an exam paper over to young Jim—a lad who does not punch other kids, who does not speak out during class, who does not outwardly do anything whatsoever that might be construed as “bad” (although on the inside, it is a different matter, oh, a very, very different abattoir of a matter, young Jimmy will not deny this!)—and in this moment of handing over the examination paper our earnest outwardly beatific knowledge-loving catenary-curve-graphing mathlete begins ever so quickly to dissociate.

At the top of the paper, in giant numerals as red as arterial blood, a scarlet number, so to speak: 90%.
    Dazed to the point of vertigo, Jim forces himself to focus. His sharp eyes, their pupils constricted to mean needle pricks by humiliation, scans down the pitiless manuscript, searching for errors. Finally, he finds the problem that he has somehow, against all odds, “missed.”

Ever so quickly, like a human ENIAC, he does the recalculations ten times in a row, lickety, at it were, split. Ten times he gets the same answer: the answer is 5. Jim looks at his answer on the paper. The answer here, too, is 5.

The right answer, Jim knows, is 5; the answer he put down is 5; there is absolutely no wriggle room here, no reason in all the known, parallel, and largely speculated upon universes, be these 3D or 2D--no, none, zero reason to mark this problem wrong.

Jim’s senses clear. His eyes dilate. Mr. Glarow, the tormenting, mistake-prone, stylishly dressed, bear killing Mama’s boy ignoramus, is going over the test, problem by problem, asking the herd of braying dullards to explain what they did in getting their comically boneheaded wrong answers.

Soon, Jim knows, he shall reach problem No. 7: the problem whose answer is 5, whose solution Jim has clearly written as 5, whose method of solution, the “work” portion of the “show your work mandate” required for full credit Jim has shown in all its jejune ridiculous completeness…

“All right, then, class,” says Mr. Glarow at last. “What is the correct answer to Problem No. 7?”

Jim’s hand is instantly aloft, waving—but not obnoxiously, not one of
    those wavings accompanied by sounds of mmmm ahh mmmeee mmmeee, like a hungry dog anticipating the dog food bowl’s deposit by its jowls, not one of those waves at all, but rather a respectful wave, a salute almost, a collegial wave of the sort that one reasonable human being might use to gently gain the attention of another human being, the second human being having made a monstrous mistake, but the first human taking great pains to just alert him of the error without characterizing the nature of it, as monstrous and imbecilic and offensive to the gods as surely this particular-character-defect of a mistake this whopper is, i.e., the one made by Chuck Glarow, dashing in his tweed coat and umbilicus ascot, the private school teacher and injustice administrator nonpareil—to this self-same character Jim says, “Mr. Glarow, sir! You seem to have made a small error here on my test sheet. For as you can clearly see, I put a 5 as the answer for No. 7 and you inadvertently marked it wrong. See: a 5!”

And just like that, Mr. Bear-Killer Glarow descends furiously upon the sparrow of a boy, and picks up Jimmy by his blond hair, literally drags him from the desk where Foetus is carved, jerks him into the air, yelling, “That is not a 5! That is an S!,” which, in fact, doesn’t sound at all like an S, so heavy is the air now humid with raging spittle everywhere, as if the Blessed Mother’s Son has suffered a stroke and can only twist his voice box into screaming, “That ish an Eshhh! An Eshhh!”

And flinging Jim around the classroom like a flimsy fabric remnant, all in one motion, the innocent and infallible mathlete’s pupils constricted again to the tiniest apertures imaginable, as if his eyes are conspire to allow him no more than the merest impression of his misbegotten unjust fate, Mr. Glarow seizes with his free hand a piece of chalk, screeching a gigantic S that snake-curls its way across the far reaches of the blackboard, the class all the while agog, and no sooner has the S taken shape then the teacher cracks his student’s head upon the pitiless slate at the top of the S, and shoves the boy’s hair against the chalk, and in one curvilinear motion erases the whole obscene letter, yelling, “Essshhhh! Esssshhhhh! I’ll show you what happenshhh to thoshhe in my classhhh who answer math problemshhh with an Esshhh inshhhstead of a Five!”

And he throws Jim under his desk, seals any possibility of escape by sitting his 190 lb. bulk on the desk chair and scoots halfway into the hollow space, as all the while the classroom of dullards—finally awakened to the one subject they love now and will always love—wake up and snigger at the sheer delightful cruelty of it all!

But Jim, staring out at his peers from the small open slatted space beneath the desk’s front, sees that for all the joy his comeuppance has brought them, it has unnerved them, too; for how can even the stupidest among them now fail to see that nobody, nobody! escapes forever the power of mean-spirited authority when it decides to slither out and take exercise in the way it invariabl prefers to take exercise. Even Glarow himself, Jim is suddenly certain, whose mother’s hold has never loosened around his lunatic neck.

At this moment, Jim turns his neck to see if kicks—surely easily deliverable, sight unseen, within the desk’s little prison chamber—will soon enough start raining down upon his kidneys. But Mr. Glarow’s legs, he sees, are wilted, their fury spent, his simian, tweed-sheathed arms slumped over in the evacuated space between his legs.

It is there, between in the spaces between the teacher’s black-haired fingers, Jim sees the tufts of his own blond hair alternate like torn trophies.

Note: I invite you to check back soon to see how uncannily this vignette relates to USMS.
  11. November beach swim

I had a really great swim at Brighton Beach today with a few hardy CIBBOWS swimmers. Air temp was in the high 40s, water temp was estimated in the low-to-mid-50s, and there was a bit of a breeze. It was a gorgeous morning, with the November sun was shining as brightly as it knew how, and the sky clear and blue, with extraordinary visibility. On the subway ride out I admired the changing trees—we’re finally getting some fall color here.

I had planned to meet up today at 11, an hour later than usual, to give the sun a chance to warm things up a bit before we got in. But the air was still chilly as we were prepared to get in, and the sand cold. The water felt nippy as I waded in, but I watched my friend Hsi-Ling go crashing into the waves and flop on her back with no hesitation, and giggling at her antics made everything seem warmer, and the water more welcoming. I counted to ten then dove into the sea myself, and stroked out towards the white building.

The water was green and sparkly, and I loved the contrast between the bright sky and the darker water every time I turned my head to breathe—it was a little hypnotic. The water felt cold on my face and upper arms at first, but I soon got warm and settled into a rhythm. I went out to the white building, turned around and headed back, then decided that I was having such a blissy time in the water that I would do it all again. On the way back my second time my soles and palms started feeling cold, but not painfully so. Once I got back to my starting place I floated a bit on my back, watching the sky and enjoying the sun’s warmth on my face, then stroked in.

I quickly got changed back into winter clothes, then jogged around on the beach and drank some hot tea to warm up. I had minimal shivering. My goal today had been to swim 2 miles, and that’s what I did. If conditions are as good tomorrow—and the day is supposed to be a little warmer—I can try for a 5k loop.

Afterwards I hung out on the beach a bit and shared food with friends before subwaying back to Manhattan. On the way home I walked through the corner of Central Park where the marathon finishes tomorrow—it’s all very festive, with flags lining the last bit of the course, and lots of excited visiting runners milling about the park and scoping things out. We got to watch some pre-marathon fireworks from our windows last night--we don't have a park view, but have an excellent view of the sky over the park! Central Park's trees are beautiful now—with sunny weather forecast for tomorrow it should be a very pretty race, as well as an exciting one. It’s tempting to watch some of it, but the beach will probably be calling me too loud to resist.
  12. Nov 5, 2011

by , November 5th, 2011 at 06:26 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    218 days until Day 1 of the FINA World Masters Championships

Saturday, Nov 5
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    Competition Pool (50m)

2 x (100 swim, 100 kick, 100 pull, 100 swim)

16 x 50 from dive @ 1:30 as
    (3 x 50 good breakout, then EZ or drill
    1 x 50 Fast)

Recovery Set
    10 x 75 as (25 kick/25 drill/25 swim)
    order of 75s: (fly, back, breast, free, free) x 2

12 x 100 Free swim @ 1:30
    held 1:18s; last one was 1:14 high.

100 EZ

Total Distance = 3650 meters

Commentary: the 16 x 50s were tiring! And during the recovery set, I could really feel it in my arms. So I was happy with the set of 12 x 100s, especially given that it was long course meters.

Updated November 9th, 2011 at 12:23 PM by lewba

13. Sat. morning

My wife has been out of town for a couple of days and I have been playing a little Mr. Mom with our girls. I was able to make it to the pool this morning and did the following with the team.

10 min. choice

8 x 75 w/5 (kick/drill/swim)
    --went two of each stroke

2 x through
    3 x 100 pull @ 1:30 cruise
    4 x 75 swim @ 1:15 90%
    6 x 25 @ 60 25 stroke/25 free cruise

2 x through
    300 EZ pull breath 3/5 by 50
    14 x 25
    -- sprints @ 45 , EZ's @ 30
    1 sprint , 1 ez went fly
    2 sprint , 1 ez went back
    3 sprint , 1 ez went breast
    4 sprint , 1 ez went IM order

200 w/d

14. Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011 11:20am

by , November 5th, 2011 at 05:39 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Another Saturday morning of overtime.
    5 more hours is money money money!

Then directly to the YMCA for a swim, again. This was my 10th swim of the week, though a few of the swims were very short ones, but I brought my weekly total up to 28,700 yards. Doing all these doubles is going to pay me back really soon, I can feel it.

200 Free
    100 Kick on back
    200 Free Pull (I hate pulling with a jammer, the pullbuoy always slips down)

10 x 50 Kick w/ long fins @ 1:00 (I had to try it)
    underwater dolphin kick down (1 breath), dolphin on back coming back (held :29-:31)

Nothing special with this set, just aerobic swimming at about 1:10-12 base/100
    5 x 50 Free @ :40
    4 x 75 Free @ 1:00
    3 x 100 Free @ 1:20
    2 x 125 Free @ 1:40
    1 x 150 Free @ 2:00

4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:54/:55)
    4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :55 (:50/:51)
    4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :50 (:48/:49)
    3 x 50 Kick flutter on back @ :45 (touch n go)

20 x 25 @ :30
    Odds Fly, Evens Free

3500 Yards

My legs were tired after today, lots more kicking that I'm used to. Plus my arm muscles are tired from all week long of swimming, plus whatever I've had to do at work.

1 more week to go till the SCM meet in Oak Harbor, WA.
    1500 Free - plan to go for it, probably will aim for a best 800 time (9:26 from Mesa in Sept.) on the way through it. LMSC record is an 18:23something, shouldn't be a problem, provided that the wake from age grouper Kirk Nelson isn't too much for me.
    200 IM - 5th event I guess? I never go to a meet without swimming the maximum events allowed.
    400 IM - outside shot to go under 5:00 (NW Zone record is 4:59.60)
    200 Fly - This will complete my Brute Squad entry for the postal submission to Colorado.
    The 2011 Brute Squad proceeds will benefit Team Fort Collins, a non-profit agency in Fort Collins whose focus is to prevent drug and alcohol abuse in the Fort Collins area
    The good news about doing this during the meet is that I won't have to do another 1650 swim in practice when the others do it around Thanksgiving time. I may be good at the distance swimming, but I hate doing long stuff in practice, especially 1650s!
    400 Free - this may turn into a 200 Free split request, but the 2nd 200 won't be an easy cooldown. I'll just finish hard, check the time, and turn and burn. Still have to worry about That Guy in the race.
  15. Sat., Nov. 5

by , November 5th, 2011 at 05:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

RC exercises
    power squats, 140 x 1 x 8, 160 x 1 x 8, 190 x 1 x 8, 210 x 1 x 8, 230 x 1 x 8, 250 x 1 x 8
    --hadn't done these in awhile. should have started off heavier. even 250 wasn't that difficult. i'm limited on this machine by it bothering my left shoulders/trap.
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10, 60 x 2 x 7
    -- first time trying the 60 lb BB
    full stop DB rows, 40 x 1 x 10, each side, 45 x 1 x 10, 50 x 1 x 10, 55 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 5/8 (left side weaker)
    -- first time I've tried it with a 60 lb DB
    reverse scoops w/ 35 lb kettleball, 2 x 15

box jumps, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 2 x 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10

Yoga/Stretching, 30 minutes

That could be the fewest exercises I've ever done at the gym! And it wasn't too dreadfully boring.

Lil Fort did great in her soccer game today (winning goal) and she has a national qualifier race in cross country tomorrow. She's a bit off the NQT, but she's only 11. She did run a 6:41 in her converses in PE the other day, which seems pretty quick to me. She frequently says she "loves swimming and running," which makes me very happy and glad I didn't push any sports too much too soon. I"m very paranoid about teen girl burnout.

Now must shower and be off!
  16. Friday, Nov. 4, 2011 A.M. (sort of) & 5:00pm

by , November 4th, 2011 at 11:06 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This morning I woke up (somehow) and got to the pool as usual to swim. Even getting undressed was tough enough to do. Oh boy, this is going to be great I thought!
    Not very good after diving in either. Only did a 1000 and called it.
    100 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    300 Free Pull
    200 Kick w/ board
    100 Free
    100 underwater playing around swim and out.

1000 Yards

P.M. workout:

(1 x 500) as 10 x 50 Free @ :45

2 x 400 @ 6:00 didn't really put too much effort into these
    • 1st one Free went 4:42
    • 2nd one IM went 5:15
    3 x 300 Free Pull @ 4:00 descending them
    • #1 - 3:27, #2 - 3:21, #3 - 3:14
    • I wasn't breathing very hard on these and felt great
    4 x 200 Back @ 3:00 (only did 2 of them)
    • #1 - 2:40, #2 - 2:47, canned the last two
    • backstroke (since it sucks) should count as double yardage anyway compared to freestyle
    5 x 100 Free @ 1:45 Go Fast!
    • #1 - 1:01
    • #2 - 1:02
    • #3 - ??? cramped in the arch of my right foot going toward the 75.
    • #4 - stretched out my foot and just watched the clock go around.
    • #5 - :59 and luckily didn't cramp up.
    100 EZ

3100 Yards

This week has been a pretty good one. Lots of tough sets, and 25,200 yards so far. Maybe I'll swim tomorrow as well. I've got my final SCM meet in 9 days from now, and feel pretty good about it. Gonna probably drop off on the doubles now next week, but keep the intensity there at least through Thursday.
    1500 Free, 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 Fly, 400 Free
    Gonna probably split request the 400/800 of the 1500, and depending how the 400 split is, I'll probably go for a 200 Free split on the 400 Free at the end. I've hit my 2:08 low/mid 3 times now, and just want to go faster!!

I've also recently signed up for two USAS meets coming up soon. Over in Cheney, WA I'll be going over for Sunday only to swim the 200 Fly, 200 Back, and 200 Free. Then the 3-4th of Dec. I'll be swimming in the local USAS meet swimming every event under the sun except for the 200 Back and 200 Breast. I should have some good races with a 14 year old on the local club team in the 500 and 1000 Frees at this one!

Updated November 4th, 2011 at 11:11 PM by jaadams1

Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  17. Nov 4, 2011

by , November 4th, 2011 at 07:00 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    219 days until Day 1 of the FINA World Masters Championships

Friday, Nov 4
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    West Warmup Pool (25m)

6 x 50 free as 25 heads-up / 25 swim @ 1:10
    6 x 50 free as 25 smooth / 25 fast @ 1:00

4 x 100 pull at 800 pace with 10 seconds rest
    did them on 1:20; 1:10, 1:12, 1:12, 1:12

3 x 200 pull at 800 pace with 15 seconds rest
    2:35, 2:40, 2:45

200 EZ

Total Distance = 2000 meters

Commentary: I jumped in for 40 minutes at noon today because I missed last night's workout. Instead, I went to a concert by Dan Mangan - a Canadian indie folk-rock singer-songwriter (that's a mouthful!). Here's a link to an unplugged version of one of my current favorite songs - "Road Regrets" - [nomedia=""]Dan Mangan - Road Regrets (unplugged on The BackStage Pass) - YouTube[/nomedia]

I was quite happy with my 4 x 100 set, but not so happy with the 3 x 200 set. Just didn't have any strength after the 100s!

Tues, Nov 1
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    East Warmup Pool (25m)

5 x 200 warmup, progressing from 200 swim to 200 kick by adding 50s of kick

10 x 50 breaststroke kick @ :70
    16 x 25 breaststroke drill @ :40
    8 x 50 breaststroke @ :60

10 x 50 dolphin kick @ :60
    16 x 25 fly drill @ :40
    8 x 50 fly (with fins) @ :60

200 EZ

Total Distance = 3800 meters

Sun, Oct 30
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    Competition Pool (50m)

Don't remember the workout, but did 3600 meters.

Sat, Oct 29
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    Competition Pool (50m)

Don't remember the workout, but did 3700 meters.
  18. Break out the Swiffer

by , November 4th, 2011 at 06:00 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    ...Because I'm dusting off the old blog. I'm not certain I'll actually get to use this often, as I still have a 2-hour (each way) commute to work, and no smart technology to access the internet while on that commute. However, I have some things I want to update:

1) As of yesterday, I got my first individual top ten time! My 400IM at Middlebury, where my strategy was "don't DQ" eked me in at #10. I was understandably ecstatic, as you might have noticed on my forum post over there. I would say that I'm going for #9 next year, but I have a distinct memory of my only thought upon finishing that race which was, "I am never doing this again."

2) Speaking of torture, I set a goal for myself to complete each event once in competition before I age up in January 2013. That means I need to do 200 fly sometime in the next year. I'm still not really sure how to do butterfly, so that's an adventure I'd like to blog.

3) I've also got an inkling to see if I can qualify for Nationals. Basically, that will mean taking the gains I've made in the past four years, and doubling them before the spring. YIKES! My main focus is on the 200 free. The qualifying time is 2:14.52. My personal best is 2:29.84, set in May 2011. The first time I swam it, in 2008, I went 2:59.70. Drop 30 seconds in 3 years and 15 seconds in 1 year? Is that even possible?

4) Well, there was a setback to that... I went to the Leatherstocking Meet in Oneonta last weekend, and posted a 2:36.61 in the 200. That was a disheartening setback, especially because it felt like a good, but not great, race. However, I was tired after the 100IM (that WAS a PR by 2 seconds), my swimsuit was all kinds of stretched out, and it was my first race in months. I didn't have a lot of rest before the event, because dozens of people didn't show up to the meet because of the freak snowstorm. (I climbed over a tree blocking my door to get there, dammit! That's the kind of dedication I have! Also, a swim meet seemed like more fun than sitting in an apartment with no power or internet.)

5) Now I need a plan. I want to shed those 15 (20) seconds. But I'm really tired all the time. Oh, also, I started substitute coaching the 8 & unders at a club team. They are SO CUTE! But that takes up some of my free time, and could contribute to the tired. But the plan, what should be my plan? I've taken notes on Ande's Swim faster faster, I've talked to my coach & my workout buddy a little, and I'm trying to do my best to hang on in practice and tail my lane leaders, who can handily swim the QT for nationals. I thought dusting off the old blog might help a little, as far as keeping myself accountable and researching my own progress. Also, I need to keep reading yours, because I'm in need of workout inspiration for FISH.

How have you been?
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -11/21/11

by , November 4th, 2011 at 06:00 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    WARM UP:
    1 X 300 4:40
    3 X 100 1:40
    4 X 75 1:15
    1 X 200 3:00
    2 X 100 1:30
    4 X 50 :45

1 X 50 easy
    1 X 100 @ 100% 4:00
    1 X 50 @ 100%
    1 X 50 easy

1 X 200 kick 4:20
    1 x 100 kick 2:10
    6 x 50 kick 1:00
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

1 x 125 IM 2:15
    1 X 150 free 2:15
    Four rounds.
    IM's: Rotate 50 of each IM order.
    150's: Descend 1-4

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

Swim Workouts
  20. Fabulous Friday - 11/04/11

by , November 4th, 2011 at 05:57 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Morning workout - more people at the pool than I would have expected, since 99% of the HS kids had Regionals out of town yesterday & had the morning off. Two FSU swimmers, Abbie, Wes, Spencer, Sealy, me & 2 HS kids that didn't make it past Districts. Hmmm. But it was cold! this morning - was expecting temps in the high 50's and they were in the low 40's! Wes says it rained last night, but I didn't hear a thing.

600 back/free
    500 pull no paddles - locomotive
    400 reverse IM, drill swim (I actually DID the butterfly!!! woah!)
    2 x 300, speed play by 25's w/20 sec rest
    8 x 100 free on 1:20 (this was HARD!! - my body did not want to move this morning!)
    100 easy
    12 x 25 on :30; drill, 2 x 4 cycle, sprint, repeat)
    100 easy
    8 x 100 kick on 1:45
    100 easy
    4 x 100 stroke/free on 1:40 (easy!!)
    Total: 4700 - not bad for only 70 minutes!!

Afternoon Practice w/Lunch Bunch: (Friday 500's)

400 warmup, 50 free, 25 back, 25 breast repeat
    4 x 125 on 2:00, first and last 25 off stroke (I did fly & breast)

5 x 100 on 1:20
    2 x 250 free/stroke/free on 4:00

10 x 50, kick one on 1:00, swim 3 on :40, easy one on 1:00, repeat
    12 x 25 on :30; drill, 2 x 4 cycle, sprint, repeat)
    6 x 75, underwater progressives
    2 x 150 breast/free thingy
    Total: 3450

Interesting aside, police came to our door yesterday evening, apparently one of our back door neighbors was found dead, and had been dead for at least 2 days when found, yesterday. He was in his 80's. They are suspicious that it might have been foul play. GREAT. We had a rapist caught in the neighborhood last year. And we thought Tallahassee was a sleepy little town. Doors locked at all times even when home now.