View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 1600 yds - better than nothing

by , February 8th, 2012 at 06:22 PM (Nobody Special)
    * Hootie Hooooo - back in the pool today for an extremely low impact workout. My last swimming workout was exactly 4 weeks ago from today. I was able to swim 1600 yds but with little impact on the shoulder - all the power was from the legs as I was wearing fins. Put my arms through the motions but did not pull through the water. Here is the workout:

100 warm up
    6 X 50 free (1:15 interval)
    8 X 50 kick (1 min int)
    8 X 50 rotating back/free (1 min int)
    6 x 50 free (1 min int)
    100 warm down

* Shoulder feels no worse today and still feels like it is on the upswing.

* Taking tomm off from swimming and will be back in the pool on Friday morning - I haven't stopped running yet and don't plan too...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. One Man's Garbage...

by , February 8th, 2012 at 05:34 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    ...yards are another man's source of high-quality exhaustion.

I am curious if my readers out there in water worlds throughout the dripping universe have any opinions on this topic.

What, exactly, constitutes "garbage yards" from your perspective, assuming, that is, you believe these actually exist.

Some, I suspect, subscribe to an opposite point of view, i.e.,
    any yard is a good yard, especially when traversed under one's own power without assistive technology like this, this, and this:

Taking SDKs to a whole new level!

Bladefish! The choice of eunuchs and guys who really don't want to share a lane!

After his excellent work in
    Dr. Strangelove, Slim Pickens was almost cast for the part of Chief Brody in Jaws.

There are several reasons why I am asking about these so-called garbage yards.

First, I am pretty sure that if these do indeed exist, they are pretty much
    all I swim these days.

Second, if I
    am a chronic garbage man these days, and I suspect I am, does such an approach confer any benefit whatsoever to swimming performance other, that is, than to maybe allow one to get a tiny bit better at swimming garbage yards? Are there any competitions for these?

Third, why do these garbage yards hurt so much? In yesteryear, swimming these same distances at these same speeds were the stuff of child's play! I could plod along, lap after desultory lap, contenting myself to try to coax one of my brain's hemispheres into sleeping, dolphin-style, then switch to the other: a form of swim-napping, if you will.

But now, I am too tired by the not-terribly-difficult swimming sets I have designed for myself on off days, and my coach Bill designs for us all on actual swimming practice days, to even consider napping while trying to finish them.

What has happened to me?

Has anything remotely like this happened to you?

Two theories, maybe three:

1. Something is profoundly wrong with me. I've suddenly gotten old, for instance, the decrepitude I have felt stalking me for decades has at last caught up and thrown me off balance, like one of those high speed chases between a lion (decrepitude) and a sick baby wildebeest (me: decrepitude's prey)--just a slight paw brush by the lion is enough to knock me off balance, and then I am surrounded by red faced felines licking their chops as the light on the savannah goes black...

If not age, it could be something else, like a sickness of some sort, me being no stranger to any of these:

illness

noun

the
    state of feeling sick or of having a disease

disease

noun

an
    illness that affects people or animals, especially one that is caused by an infection

sickness

noun

a
    condition in which you have an illness

infection

noun

a
    disease or other medical condition that is caused by bacteria or by a virus or a parasite

disorder

noun

an
    illness or medical condition

complaint

noun

an
    illness or other medical problem

condition

noun

an
    illness or health problem that lasts a long time and affects the way you live

ailment

noun

an
    illness, usually not a serious one

epidemic

noun

a
    situation in which a disease spreads very quickly and infects many people

contagion

noun

a
    disease that can be spread from one person to another through touch or through the air

2. I am simply tired out by training reasonably hard at a time when assorted other demands on my physiology, like tax preparation and deadline obligations, are also sucking the life out of me. Could I, in fact, be overtraining?

Last year in mid-January, I suffered a detached retina, which forced me out of the water for two weeks.

When I got the go ahead to swim again, I did my best to catch up on my Go the Distance goal in February:

To diehards, this 50 miles might seem paltry, but it's actually a rather significant amount for me.

That spring, I did my best times in the 500 and 1000 in years, though the swims (as regularly readers might recall) did not count for Top 10 consideration because the meet wasn't recognized.

I did these times without a body suit, too, which in some regards made them seem all the better to me since the cheatin' suits always did provide my blubberous flapping body a bit of a lift.

Flash forward to this season. No detached retinas in January, so this is what I swam in the same time period where I managed only 19 miles last year:

Over 22 miles more, in other words, which
    should technically put me into better shape than I was in at the same time period last year.

So far this February, I have been swimming every day and hope to continue doing so throughout the entire month of February, perchance to exceed last year's total. Here is the data so far:

I have missed a total of 7 days in 2012 so far and averaged just a wee bit over 1.5 swimming miles per day.

A few other bits of data.

I got fat. 185 this year vs. 179 last year at the same time.

Also, my Amish Mudhole swimming times are a bit slower at this time this year comparable to what I did last year.

Consider the 2011 vs 2012 mid season times:

• 50 free 25.15 then vs. 25.65 now
    • 100 free 55.27 then vs. 55.09 now
    • 200 free 1:59.81 then vs. 2:01.60 now
    • 500 free 5:33.84 then vs. 5:42.21 now
    • 1650 free 20:03.90 then vs. ?

Well, it is time for practice, so I must be signing off to go put in my daily garbage yards.

I am signed up for the 1650 at the end of the month.

Then there is the Albatross meet in March, and I will see how this year's times compare to last year's. This will be the first time I can swim in the next age group up, so I am hoping to do good.

Then there are the various championships coming up in the later spring.

I don't know if swimming as much as I have been will prove helpful or not.

Maybe it was the enforced two weeks off because of the retina last year that was the real reason for good times them?

Time will tell. But meanwhile, if you have any thoughts on my situation here, please feel free to give me the benefit of them!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Wed., Feb. 8

by , February 8th, 2012 at 04:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    5 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:00
    5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    4 kick, 4 speedplay
    75 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP back from the blocks, 29 low
    75 EZ
    -- deliberately did this early in the workout, glad I did

I modified the first speed set from workout #1 on the HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20148"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. I think I like this version better, and I suspect it may harder. Though the build downs in the original version aren't easy either.

2 x (5 x 100 + X yards EZ):
    1 = 25 fast, 75 EZ @ 2:00
    2 = 35 fast, 65 EZ @ 2:00
    3 = 50 fast, 100 EZ @ 4:00
    4 = 100 fast @ 90% + 200 EZ @ 6:00
    5 = AFAP broken 100, :15 @ each 25 + 200 EZ @ 6:00

round 1 = free with paddles & fins
    -- 10 on 25, 24 flat on 50, 54 flat on 100
    -- No paddles on the broken 100. I did two 25s on the broken 100 (10 low, 11 flat) and was interrupted by a noodler, who had been very chatty throughout the workout. I tried to be polite since he was asking about masters swimming and the website. But then he said "I had to urge my ex not to abort my son and god spoke to me and told me to write a book about it ..." and I totally tuned out. Bizarro.

round 2 = backstroke kick w/fins
    -- 9 on 25, 21 flat on 50, 52 high on 100
    -- did the broken 100 as :15, :15 :30 breaks, went 9, 10 flat, 10 high, 9. had to have more oxygen on the last 25
    -- legs were just burning afterward

Total: 3450

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think that's a good practice 50 back time for me. Might have taken one extra kick on the first 25.

I was supposed to do weights this morning, but didn't have time. I may go tonight when Lil Fort is at practice. But I hate doing weights after swimming. Still, I'll probably go as I have an ENT appt tomorrow am. (I am celebrating an entire year with no sinus infections!) I don't feel as much in need of a recovery week without the upper body weights, so I will likely wait until the end of February for an easy week before the Warrenton meet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Happy sunrise workout

This morning I had a great sunrise swim at the PCB aquatic center. John and I arrived a little after 6 this morning and shared a lane for a bit before an adjacent one opened up. I then ended up having a lane of my own for the rest of the workout—and that was a good thing, as I used every bit of during my backstroke today. Usually I swim pretty straight, even in an oudoor pool, but today I think I would visited all the lanes during the backstroke bits if those pesky lanelines hadn’t been in my way.

Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200d/s) [During the pull I did an open turn and saw a little bird out of the corner of my eye hopping around on the pool deck. I stopped and hung on the wall and talked to it a bit—it was investigating all the dark spots on the concrete to see if they were specks of food. It hopped towards me and stopped about a foot away and looked at me expectantly, as if I might be a source of birdseed, which made me wish I had some to offer.]

5 x 200 FR > BK pacman

5 x 200 IM kick > FR swim pacman

400/300/200/100 FR, increase pace with each swim [I did this with local swim buddy Bill—we started at about 1:40 pace and finished the last 100 on 1:27, synchro swimming for much of the set, which was fun--we paced each other nicely.]

Extended warmdown: 400 SKPS + 700 FR/BK in 11213141 pattern + 50 skull

Today was one of those gorgeous sunny mornings when I simply didn’t want to get out of the pool. I also felt better in the water today than I have in quite a while—it took me about 2k to loosen up, but after that I was swimming without any pain for most of the workout.

Then late this morning I swam out to the second sandbar with John to look for sand dollars, which he wanted to give to one of our regular training partners. We didn’t find any, but had fun swimming out so far—it was amazing to be surrounded by the brilliant blue water of the Gulf. About an hour later a pod of dolphins swam slowly by, right out near where we had been! Very cool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/09/12

by , February 8th, 2012 at 02:18 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 250 4:10 3:45
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Three rounds, round 1 intervals left, 2&3 right.

16 X 25 free :40
    Sprint 20 yards, no breath.

1 X 200 kick 4:15
    4 X 75 kick 1:30
    8 X 25-half blast free kick/half easy swim :45
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 200-50 stroke/50 free 3:30
    1 X 100 stroke 2:10
    4 X 25 stroke-fast- :40
    Three rounds. Break between rounds.

1 X 150 free 1:50
    1 X 100 free 1:50
    Four rounds

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5250Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 2/8/12: noon

by , February 8th, 2012 at 01:51 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    200 FR/200 Back

2 x 200 FR Pull w/ buoy on 2:45 (2:20)
    2 x 150 BK Pull w/ buoy on 2:20 (2:05)
    4 x 100 FR Pull w/ buoy on ~ 1:30
    - Quarters strong, Kevin joined me on last two
    3 x 75 IM (no FR) on 1:20
    - Thirds strong
    1 min q-break into
    100 IM for time: 1:09.74

225 loosen and out
    (solo @ Rec/2050 yds/40 minutes)
    ------------------------

Got in for a lunchtime swim today, more of less to stretch out. The lane filled up to 5 during the time I was there, so intervals went out the window and I put more emphasis on effort. Happy with the IM time - haven't been under 1:10 in a week or so - still playing around with my breaststroke technique.

Hope to sneak back tonight for a swim as things around the house will be quiet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Wednesday, 2/9/12

by , February 8th, 2012 at 12:40 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up:
    200 swim - free & back
    200 kick - free & back
    100 drill - 1 arm, free & back
    100 scull

6 x 50/50 with paddles + fins ds3
    - 1-3 free, 4-6 back
    6 x 25/45 burst + cruise
    - 2 free, 2 back, 2 fly

Main set:

5 x 100/2:30
    All Free
    1= 25 fast / 25 build down to 50% / 50 ez
    2 = 35 fast / 15 build down to 50% / 50 ez
    3 = 50 fast / 50 ez
    4 = 100 @ 90% fast effort
    5 = 100 ez

5 x 50/1:15
    All Back
    1= smoth dps
    2 = burst + cruise
    3 = 25 fast, 25 ez
    4 = ez
    5 = AFAP
    50 ez

5 x 25/1:00
    All Fly
    1 = smooth dps
    2 = 4 strokes fast
    3 = 8 strokes fast
    4 = 25 ez
    5 = AFAP
    75 ez

Kick with Fins:
    25 AFAP
    50 @ 200 pace/1:30
    50 @ 100 pace/1:15
    25 AFAP/45

200 EZ

Total: 2400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Tuesday, 2/7/12

by , February 8th, 2012 at 12:34 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with swim buddy

Warm up
    500 choice
    10 x 50/10-15 sr odds: pull build, evens : kick build
    8 x 25/30 burst + cruise

100 ez

Main Set:
    Broken 200's with fins, paddles, swim
    1 x 200/3:30 with fins neg split
    1 x 100 ez
    1 x 200 broken with paddles only: 100 - 10sr - 100
    1 x 100 ez
    1 x 200 broken swim: 100 - 10sr - 50 - 5sr - 50
    1 x 100 ez

Warm down
    100 ez

Total: 2200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wednesday 2/8

by , February 8th, 2012 at 10:28 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Warm up/Transition:

200 swim
    200 kick
    100 IM drill
    100 scull

5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50-1:00
    5 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:15-1:30
    6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

5 x 100 @ 3:00
    1 = 25 fast, build down to 50% + 50 EZ
    2 = 35 fast, build down to 50% + 50 EZ
    3 = 50 fast, build down to 50% + 50 EZ
    4 = 100 @ 90% + 50 EZ
    5 = EZ
    I messed this set up I didn't read it as 100 + a 50 I thought the 50 EZ was included int eh 100. Only when I got to #4 I figured out what I should have done, but it was still good.

5 x 50 @ 1:30
    1 = smooth DPS
    2 = burst + cruise
    3 = 25 fast, 25 EZ
    4 = EZ
    5 = 50 fast @ 90%
    100 EZ

5 x 25 @ 1:00
    1 = smooth DPS
    2 = 6 strokes fast
    3 = 10 strokes fast
    4 = EZ
    5 = AFAP
    75 EZ

5 x 25
    AFAP drag race from mid-pool w/race finish and cruise back
    full recovery between efforts
    100 EZ

Total: 2750
    It was odd how my easy felt more smoother and efficient after all this speed work...I enjoyed this one.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 02.08.12 - Wednesday workout

by , February 8th, 2012 at 09:30 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Dave. Wore my Nike jammer w/o a drag suit. Pool temp ~83.

Felt slow today. Hopefully I didn't taper too late. Still got two days to feel better. Nothing really special today. Just warmed up and did some faster paced 50s and 25s.

750 Warm up

4 x 50 Pull - 1:00 (did these breaststroke)
    Rest
    4 x 50 Kick - 1:10 (2x fly w/ fins, 1x br, 1x fr)
    Rest
    4 x 50 Swim - 1:10 (3 x Br, 1 x fr)
    Rest
    Focused on keeping a better streamline on my br pullouts and taking a better angle to the surface.

8 x 25 - :45 Hard (2x fly, 4x br, 2x fr)

100 Cool down

(1650 total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. my idea of no swimming and resting

by , February 8th, 2012 at 07:01 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Unfortunately not swimming is not an option for me so I slept in for an extra half hour and went to the pool.

This was just for loosening my back yet even that can be hard to hold back on

500 free EZ yet I found myself trying to do a minimum of 5 SDK's off each wall
    300 free kick w/ zoomers once again easy but did keep a steady pace
    200 one arm fly w/zoomers

Total 1000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Draggin' an anchor...

by , February 7th, 2012 at 11:16 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    So the love-hate relationship with interval 200s continues today... decidedly in favor of hate. I felt great after the 200 workout yesterday, but today... not so much so. I just wanted to get in and swim about 3000 or so, nothing hard, just enough to loosen up. The loosening never happened.

I felt like I was dragging a freakin' anchor the whole time. Very fatigued, very tight, maybe a little dehydrated. I made it through 2650 (5 x 500 all around 9:00-9:20--crawling!--with recovery 50s using breast; cool down with some mixed stroke and kick drills, no board). And it felt like a struggle the whole time.

I'm sure this is just the body enforcing an easy day after the hard intervals yesterday. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

WATER WARRIORS FITNESS EVENT: Got some good news yesterday after I blogged. I went online to check the Wisconsin Masters website and the results were in from our Nov-Dec fitness challenge, to see who could record the most yardage in any 14-day period during those two months. My 47,000 yards in the middle two weeks of November were good enough for first place in my age group! OK, ok, I know... I was the ONLY male in my age group... but, hey, I came with my game; can't win if you don't play!

Take it away banana dude:
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:30pm

by , February 7th, 2012 at 10:19 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    NEW NEW NEW

I just signed up for the Lake Washington Masters Meet, in Kirkland, WA on Feb. 19th. Kind of a last minute (for me) addition, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it. My son is stable, and should remain that way.
    Anyway, I signed up for the 400 IM, 100 Fly, 100 Free, 200 Back, 200 Fly. Entered with my best times. Should be close enough.
    200 Back will be right after the 100 Free, but I'll be in at least the 2nd heat, and should have enough entries to bump me into the 3rd or 4th heat, so I should be fine.

=================================

No A.M. swimming for me this morning or tomorrow morning...work 10 hour days scheduled and I have to get to work earlier.

Tonight:

Warmup:

10 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:11-1:13s)

1 x 500 Free Pull (check the 250 time, and beat it on the 2nd 250)
    (went 2:53 on first 250, finished @ 5:40 (2:47 2nd half)

5 x 100 Kick w/ board @ Desc. Interval (2:00, 1:55, 1:50, 1:45, under 1:40)
    went 1:36, 1:37, 1:36, 1:34, 1:33)
    my legs were burning after this

Work the IM parts, cruise free:
    4 x 75 IM Order (25 Stroke/50 Free) @ 1:05
    ~1:00 rest
    4 x 75 IM Order (50 Stroke/25 Free) @ 1:10
    ~1:00 rest
    4 x 75 IM Order (75 Stroke) @ 1:15

5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 FAST (1:01, 1:03, 1:04, 1:05, 1:04)

100 EZ

----------------------
    3500 Yards

I had to fight the big waves from the public swim half of the pool for the 2nd half of the workout. Dang boy scouts (all of them) came in and were driving the lifeguards nuts. I almost ran a few of them down when they came into my lane to chase down a ball. Most of the time I didn't see them till I was right on top of them, and once I saw one ahead of me, and poured it on to "get 'em". :devilman: <-- We need a Smily like this one.
    Kind of a big random mish-mosh of stuff tonight, but it still made me tired and sore.

Updated February 8th, 2012 at 12:21 AM by jaadams1 (Added New Meet Info for Lake Washington Masters Meet)

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  14. 1 swimsuit, 4 venues

This morning I had a nice sunrise swim at the PCB pool—all that was missing was the sun, which was hiding somewhere behind a misty sky that gradually lightened to a bleached-out white. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup

4 x (3 x 50 FR desc @ 1:00)

12 x 150:
    1-3 FR/BK/FR
    4-6 FR/BR/FR
    7-8: 50 FR + 25 FL + 25 BK + 50 FR
    9-10: 50 FR + 25 BK + 25 BR + 50 FR
    11-12: 50 flutter kick / 50 dolphin kick / 50 flutter kick w/ fins

200 easy swim

700 kick, no fins, switching free/dolphin in a 11213141 pattern

6 x 100 FR:
    1 @ 1:55
    2 @ 1:50
    3 @ 1:45
    Trying to hold all under 1:30

200 warmdown

Two good things happened today. I found an ART guy down this way whom I really liked, and who helped me out with the neck and upper back issues I’ve been having. (His reaction after checking out my lateral neck flexibility: “Well, that’s just TERRIBLE!” in a big booming southern drawl.) And this afternoon a NYC swim buddy arrived—woohoo! John and I swam in the gulf this afternoon and then played in the hot tub and lagoon pool at the complex where I’m staying. The lagoon pool is unheated, and so it’s about the same temp as the gulf—low 60s. We had it to ourselves. You can swim figure eights around its two islands!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tuesday, Feb. 7

by , February 7th, 2012 at 05:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

30 minutes rehab exercises
    30 minutes stretching/foam roller/yoga

Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 various
    8 x 50 fly drills
    4 x (5 x 25 shooters w/MF) @ :35
    back, belly, right side, left side, twirling 360s
    8 x 50 breast w/MF @ 1:10
    50 EZ
    10 x 50 free w/fins, no breather, broken :5 @ 25 @ 1:10 (started at 1:00 but not enough rest)
    50 EZ

Total: 2400

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dull day of working out, but I had planned on 2 recovery workouts this week. And I needed one after yesterday's hard sprint set. Rehab exercises are deadly dull. Mr. Fort has a couple nagging injuries too, and is not running this week (biking instead). That's the worst part about being a competitive masters athlete -- the rehab crap you sometimes have to do to keep training and stay/get healthy.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  16. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/08/12

by , February 7th, 2012 at 01:32 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:20 3:00
    4 X 75 1:20 1:05
    4 X 50 :50 :50
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:15
    8 x 50 kick 1:00
    1 X 100 swim

2 X 100 moderate 1:45
    3 X 50 fast 1:15
    2 X 50 fast 1:15
    1 X 50 fast -
    1 X 100 easy -
    All choice.

1 X 200 IM 3:30
    4 X 50-1 of each- 1:00
    8 X 25-2 of each- :30
    Two rounds. Short break between rounds.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4900Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Tue Feb 7th, 2012 DIDN'T Swim

by , February 7th, 2012 at 12:43 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Feb 7th, 2012 DIDN'T Swim

Noticed my surgery wound lost some glue & split a bit. Tomorrow, Wed Feb 8th at 3:30 I have a follow up appointment with Doc, so I've decided to stay dry till then.

SUCKS

I want to swim & don't want to get out of shape
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Mon Feb 6th, 2012, SCY

by , February 7th, 2012 at 12:35 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Feb 6th, 2012, SCY

didn't swim Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, & Sun
    wasn't supposed to get my surgery wound wet

lower back still hurts

Helped my wife Beth with her EBAY store
    http://stores.ebay.com/Ooh-La-La-Love
    where she offers new with tags Victoria Secret Sets

Whitney Coached
    SCY UT Swim Center: Diving well
    noon - 1:15 dove in at 12:13ish
    wore Speedo endurance jammer
    trained with Bob & Jim
    beside Tyler Larry & Kelly Williamson

Warm Up
    missed it

Main Set

20 x 75
    done
    4 x (50 fr 25 fl) on tough interval 1:00 or 55
    1 easy k on bk
    round 2 swap out bk for fl on :55
    Round 3 swap out br for fl on 1:05
    round 4 FR on 50

assigned: 800 neg split 4 SDKs off each wall
    did: 8 x 50 5 or more SDKs off each wall

20 x 75 done
    odds: strong
    evens breathe 3 on 1st length, 2 on 2nd, 1 on 3rd

2012 Meets (I'm considering)

Mar. 30 & 31, 2012
    South Central Zones, SCY
    South Lake, TX
    Days Till

Jul. 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE
    Order of Events

Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX

Updated February 8th, 2012 at 06:18 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. 02.07.12 - More fun w/ the camera

by , February 7th, 2012 at 12:01 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave, Dave and Dave. Pool temp ~83. No drag suit. Wore my Nike jammer.

3 days till we head to Auburn. Had some decent swims today. My 50 br was around :35. My relay leg was a bit slow at :28. Not feeling quite as zippy as I was yesterday.

SCY

400 Warm up

4 x 50 - 1:00 Descend (I did Br down/Fr back)
    Rest

8 x 25 - :40 Easy/Hard (I did Fl/Br/Br/Fr)
    Rest

8 x 25 Kick - :40 Easy/Hard (I did Fl/Fr/Br/Fr)
    75 Easy / Rest

50 Br timed (:35)
    Video: http://youtu.be/r3xyEebVD0I
    25 Easy / Rest

50 Timed Kick (:41 - Fr)
    75 Easy / Rest

250 Fr relay (my split was :28)
    Couple practice dives

125 Cool down

(1450 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Monday, 02/06/12

by , February 7th, 2012 at 10:39 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    So that I won't forget what I did:

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Billy G on deck

300ish warm up

2 x 100 kick on 2:00
    4 x 50 on 1:00 drill/swim
    repeat twice

3 x 100 on 1:25
    3 x 100 on 1:30
    3 x 100 on 1:40
    descend effort
    ==> kicked all with Speedo B&O fins
    held
    1st set: sub 1:20's
    2nd set: 1:17 ave
    3rd set: 1:15, 15, 14

Pull:
    ==>no. goofed around with my TYR Burner fins/snorkel; kicked on tummy and sides; free and fly

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok! Great way to stay off my arms and kick kick kick!

Today - off.
    Tomorrow - who knows?
    After that? Nothing is for sure except Golden Corral on Friday.
    Categories
    Uncategorized