View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Back to Coaching

by , October 13th, 2010 at 08:37 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    I'll be coaching 3 days a week now.
    We found a coach for our Saturday workouts.
    So I get to swim one day with the team.

Coached the Sharks
    I swam this after work.

Warm Up
    300 Swim
    200 Kick
    200 Pull

Set 1
    25 Kick :05r
    25 Drill :05r
    25 Build :05r
    Repeat 4 times

Set 2
    All Swim
    1 x 400
    2 x 200
    4 x 100
    8 x 50

All of these swims are to be set on a base
    of about 5-7 secs rest for a 50 so.... if you can
    swim a 50 on about :35 use :40 (I used :45)

400 on 5:20
    200's on 2:40
    100's on 1:20
    50's on :40

16 x 25 on a ez interval..
    odd ez, even build to sprint

200 Warm down

One lane even did the 25's on :20
    I love it when they make it harder than
    what I give them.

I swam at the Y after work.
    I had the pool to myself for about 40 min. then the
    y's swim team had practice.
    I think they had at least 6 swimmers in a lane.
    It was like open water swimming :-)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednesday, 10/13/10

by , October 13th, 2010 at 06:25 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm – up
    200 swim free & back
    50 drill – 50 scull – 50 pull – 50 kick
    3 x 100/1:30 free (1:20±)
    8 x 25/30 1 – sprint, 2 – 6 fast kicks on break out, 3 – fast kicks into wall, 4 – sprint
    (1-4 back, 5-8 free)

Kick:
    Dolphin: 20 x 25/40 strong effort – may use fins
    (I used my monofin and snorkel on #1-12, times were ±17, did 13-20 on back with monofin with at least half of each 25 underwater. times were the same as above)

Sprint
    8 x 25/45: 25 fast from dive - 25 easy
    (IM order on sprints, fly <15, back <18, breast <20, free <15)

Breast
    2 x 50 front scull/10sr w/2 underwater pullouts off walls
    2 x 50 breast pull w/bouy, paddle/10 sr
    2 x 50 with fins – 1 brst pull flutter – 1 brst pull dolphin/10 sr
    2 x 50 breast @1:15, times were 50 & 48

Pull
    800 continuous
    (did 400 free with paddles and buoy, 400 back with buoy only)

Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Baby Steps, Oct. 13

by , October 13th, 2010 at 04:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Set:

I used the structure of Chris' main set today. But I knew right away after getting in the water that I was not going to go fast. (As much as I'd like to swim faster faster and get better faster, it seems like I'm going to need a full 2 weeks).

1 x 200 free w/paddles @ 3:00
    2 x 100 fly kick w/fins @ 2:00, last 25 UW
    4 x 50 360 fly drills @ 1:00
    (A swimmer asked me if I was doing these for strength or flexibility; I said neither.)

2 x 100 back kick w/fins @ 2:00, 1 & 3rd 25s UW
    4 x 50 back w/fins @ 200 pace @ 1:00 (went 30-31, not really 200 pace)

2 x 100 breast pull @ whatever
    4 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    odds = fast w/fins (30, 31)
    evens = EZ

1 x 200 free w/paddles
    2 x 100 flutter kick w/board @ 2:00
    4 x 50 free, no interval, done as 25 AFAP + 25 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 3100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Still coughing a lot and feeling sub par. But marginally better than yesterday. Trying to get good sleep. At least I could attempt to swim fast a wee bit today, though most of the workout was technique based. Since I am swimming so slow, this would probably be a good time to get out the dread dorkel.

Got yelled at by a lap swimmer today because I didn't see him when I was doing one of the 200 frees. Well, no, I don't generally tend to look up on deck. Couldn't he just have stuck a hand or kick board in the water rather than yelling at me?

Had a nice chat with one of the Machine coaches, who also coaches their masters group. He and a quite a few of his swimmers are competing in the Sprint Classic next Saturday. He was definitely trying to shame me into swimming. And I will, so long as I feel well. (I won't expect anything too great based on my Albatross meet results last March coming after the flu.) Unfortunately, Coach Cheryl says tech suits are out for the unofficial 25s because they "are being judged by officials." Not sure I follow that logic, but that's fine.

Now I need to get back to the gym ...

I have a rare slow night of driving kids around.

Updated October 13th, 2010 at 08:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sink Or Swim Classic Premeet Prep

Those of you who talk with me on the forums have probably seen my signature promoting the Libertyville Masters Sink or Swim Classic in Vernon Hills Illinois. Those of you who know me REALLY well (and now everyone) will know that I will be wearing this brief during the meet:

To all of you who think that this is ridiculous - YOU'RE WELCOME, I've now opened your mind.
    To all of you who believe that this is awesome and classy - THANK YOU.

Fun Fact: All summer I swam SCM at Vernon Hill High School - the very pool where this meet will be held. Since September we have been swimming SCY.

I decided to sign up for as many events as I could - including relays for this meet. It's going to be a blast and I figure "Why not? I don't plan on winning anything - I just plan on pushing myself through this and making it a fun time."

Events And Goals
    400m Free
    So I decided I wanted my first swim of the day to be the longest swim of the meet. I plan on using this event as a double whammy.
    1) It'll be a PR. No matter what.
    2) It'll be a great warm up before the 50 free which is my next event.
    My goal for this event is to swim it in 7:00. That will be an average 100 around 1:45
    It seems like this might be an easy goal for many of you, but its hard to say for me since I'm so used to swimming SCY, I come in around 1:30-1:35 on the 100 during practice, so I'm hoping that extra 7 foot or so won't equate to much more than 10 seconds.

50m Free
    The 50m free is placed perfectly. Its a race I really like and a race I would like to do well in. I learned some painful lessons this summer swimming it in LCM and I'm excited to give it another go.
    My goal for this event is to swim it in under 36 seconds
    When I swam SCY in march, I swam my 50 (tapered) in roughly around 33 seconds. I don't see any reason why I couldn't beat that now non-tapered. I can swim a 35 at the end of practice these days (so I'm already exhausted and its a push off the wall).

50m Breast
    I'm not good at breast stroke. I'm very aware of it. I know I should take the time, I just haven't. I'll admit it fully and readily. That being said:
    My goal in this event is to beat my LCM time of 59.57 seconds
    I shall not fear the event! I shall embrace it!

100m IM
    Even though the 50 is the event I want to do the most well in, the 100 IM is the event I'm most excited about! I've more or less just learned butterfly in the last couple months and I'm excited about the prospect of finally getting to do it in a race! I practiced my transition off the wall from fly to back once the other night and its a LOT of fun!
    My goal in this event is to swim it in under 2 minutes.
    The 100 IM is just the stepping stone. By January I'm hoping to be able to do the 200 IM and stick with that event for a while while I build up my strength/endurance to do the 400 IM.

50m Back
    The 50 Back is one of those events I like - but I'm not great at. This will have been after all of my other 4 events + 2 relays. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be more of a flooded kayak than swimmer at this point.
    My goal in this event - given the circumstances - is survival. That being said, I'd like to swim it in under 50 seconds

Thanks for reading! I hope to have video of this!
  5. Trying to keep up

by , October 13th, 2010 at 11:45 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Still not on track with blogging, but here is what I've done for the last week:

Thursday, October 7:
    Swam 1200 yards

Saturday:
    Swam 1500 yards -

500 kick with fins (alternated 100 dolphin on back with 100 free kick on side)

30 seconds rest

500 pull (alternated 100 free with 100 back)

500 kick with fins (same as first 500)

Sunday:

Bench press: bar x 12, 75 x 8, 85 x 6, 90 x 4

Lat pull-down: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 130 x 6

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 10

Leg press: 150 x 10, 170 x 8, 190 x 6

1 set of 100 bicycles

2 sets of 15 back extensions

Monday:

2 mile hike in the woods
    Tossed and kickedfootball with son for 20 minutes and shot basketball

Tuesday:

Biked to the Georgia Line - Started at Piedmont Welcome Center - Total of 28 miles

Thoughts:

1. I am having a really hard time getting back to swim workouts. Don't really know why, but part of it may be my schedule. I can't train with the kids right now and with no meet until February, I guess it is easy to be lazy.

2. Afraid I'm going to pay for it in February when I do compete. I don't want to train out of fear of being in bad shape when I do compete.

3. Looking for a way to get fired up.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Wed Oct 13, 2010

by , October 13th, 2010 at 10:43 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Oct 13, 2010

scy
    Whitney Coached
    7:30 to 9:00
    UT Swim Center main pool
    dove in at 7:47
    swam with tenielle tyler & kevin
    brief

WARM UP
    missed warm up

MAIN SET

3 rounds of
    4 x 25 fl
    4 x 50 fl bk
    4 x 75 bl bk br
    4 x 100 IM
    round 1 swim on :25
    round 2 kick on :25
    round 3 swim on :20
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Wednesday Whizz-through. 10/13/10

by , October 13th, 2010 at 10:24 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Good workout this morning. Went fast got through 4k in about 75 minutes.

600 FR

1 x 300 4:30
    6 x 100 Alternate FR/Stroke..did mine by 50's
    2 x 100 IM 1:50
    4 x 100 Fin Kick 1:30
    1 x 300 4:30
    8 x 50 Alt FR/Stroke
    2 x 100 IM 1:50
    6 x 100 K 2@1:30, 2@1:35, 2@1:40
    8 x 50 FRCool
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 10/13 Practice

by , October 13th, 2010 at 09:09 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 150 free
    - 150 back
    - 150 kick w/fins
    - 150 back
    - 150 free
    Main Set
    -- base 1:20 hold 1:10 pace
    - 4x50
    - 3x100
    - 2x150
    - 1x200
    - 1x200 kick ez w/fins on 5:00
    - 1x200
    - 2x150
    - 3x100
    - 4x50
    Cool down
    - 300 ez

The main set should have been easier or faster, but I was barely coming in on 35 during the last set of 50s. My aerobic endurance needs some work.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Meet with the kids

After 4 glorious days of OW swimming over the long weekend, I headed back to the pool yesterday evening for something completely different--a fun meet with the combined AGUA masters and kids teams. The event was part of this year’s Swim for the Future program, which is a swim scholarship program for kids on our age-group team. It was established in 2001 in memory of two of our masters teammates, Andrew Fisher and Doug Irgang, who died in the 9/11 attacks. Nearly 10 years later, it’s helped quite a few kids swim with the wonderful AGUA age-group team who couldn’t otherwise afford it.

The meet itself was an absolute blast. Between the kids and the grownups, we had around 70 swimmers. Before the meet, organizers had collected 100 FR times and divided us up into 2 teams (think of lining everyone up by time and counting off 1-2-1-2, only in this case the computer did that for us). Everyone swam all 4 events (25 FL, 50 BK, 75 BR, and 100 FR) plus a final relay. All the events were seeded by 100 FR times, so everyone’s heat and lane assignments stayed the same for all 4 events, and adults and kids were mixed together in every heat. The kids who participated ranged from tiny 8-and-unders to some very fast senior swimmers, and there was a good mix of masters as well.

I definitely came away with a number of fun new cheers, and a renewed appreciation for what really great kids we have on the age-group team.

As for my times, I have no idea what I swam, except for a 1:03 in my 75 BR. (We had hand-timers, and team scores were computed by adding all the times together). One puzzling thing about the evening was that I was seeded in a heat that definitely seemed too slow for me, even though I had submitted a real 100 FR time. Mostly I was racing 10 year olds and masters teammates who swim down a few lanes from me, and it made me a little self-conscious. When I got home I figured out what had happened. I had initially entered the meet by just RSVPing to a fundraising letter; I was later contacted by email and asked for a 100 meter FR time. There was also an actual entry form the kids and some masters swimmers used, and it asked for a 100 yards time. So I was racing swimmers whose best 100y free times were around 1:13. I think the same thing must have happened in a few other heats, judging by who was swimming where.

But I don’t think anyone really cared, we were all having too much fun swimming and cheering. And the kids were definitely not fazed by racing grown-ups twice their size, but I didn’t expect them to be. Our training times overlap, and they see the workouts we do, and sometimes pretend to be jealous of our generous (to-them!) intervals. If anything, some of our masters swimmers were nervous about getting beaten by a 9-year-old in the next lane. (I fortunately didn't have to worry about that, since the really fast 9-year-olds were seeded in later heats!)

(I once had a Russian-émigré masters coach look at me and pronounce gravely, “In swimming, you are 12.” I’m not sure if I lived up to that swimming age last night or not—I suspect not. It’s possible I’ve regressed to 11 in swimming years since his evaluation.)

The meet was my second wonderful swimming experience of the week. The first was a swim Monday up in the Hudson River, north of the city. It was an absolutely gorgeous and exhilarating experience. I was a little nervous about the water temperature going into the swim, because it was about 5 degrees cooler than the water I had gotten used to at Brighton Beach. But other than a bit of initial shock getting in, the water felt absolutely wonderful. I ended up swimming for nearly an hour at around 60 degrees, I think. There was just one point near where we turned around where my toes felt a little cold, but otherwise I felt comfortable during and afterwards. It was a big confidence booster for being able to do the 11/6 race.

Now I’m antsy for the weekend to get here so I can go swim outdoors again!

Updated October 13th, 2010 at 09:01 AM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Slept in and still got to the pool

by , October 13th, 2010 at 07:20 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Not a good day but my back was not as bad as yesterday. Gave in to the sleep, then on the way in found a cheaper gas station so had to take advantage of the price.

10x100@1:40 Free added a kick and 2 dolphin kicks off each wall
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd lap Fast
    5x200@3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy descend 1-5 went 2:52, 2:48, 2:44, 2:39, 2:34
    200 Fly kick w/fins streamline
    300 Free w/fins swim long and loose

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Swim, Oct. 12

by , October 12th, 2010 at 08:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

600 various

5 x 100 free w/paddles & fins @ 1:30

Main Set:

8 x 25
    odds = EZ speed fly w/fins
    (I hesitate even to label this "fly" as it felt foreign and horrible)
    evens = UW shooter w/fins
    coughing fit

100 russian breast drill

8 x 25
    odds = back
    evens = back kick
    coughing fit

100 russian breast drill

8 x 25
    odds = breast pull
    evens = flutter kick shooter

100 chest press fly

8 x 25
    all free w/overkick

100 chest press fly

8 x 25 flutter kick w/board @ :30

100 EZ

Total: 2600

Commentary:

Made it back to the pool again. Did not do anything even remotely fast. I feel better, maybe 60%. I guess it's better to do this than stay out of the pool. More exhausting than swimming was the post swimming: pick Mini up from HS, go to grocery, drop Mini back at HS for game, go home to feed other kids dinner, go back to HS to watch volleyball game, come home and do dishes and pack lunches and read Fort Son's college application essay. Seriously, I need a wife.

This latest bout of illness made me realize how much illness or injuries can ruin a season or a year. Last year, I was healthy most of the year. This year, I've had three major epidsodes where I've been out of the water for long periods of time. I just hope next year is back to healthy.

I still doubt I'll swim the Sprint Classic. But I was wondering whether the "unofficial" 25s can be swum in "unofficial" suits, i.e., tech suits. Logically, I would think they could be since they don't count. I was thinking maybe I should force myself to do the 25s just to get some start work in. Maybe I'll feel more positive about this next week.

Saw this on FB on the P90X page:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/p90...49.do#article1

It's rather depressing to think that most lean meats and fish are bad for us. I have read elsewhere that they are just loaded with chemicals though.

As for the gluten advice, since I am not allergic to gluten and am allergic to pomegranates, I decided to give gluten another try. No, I cannot tolerate the stuff at all. So I will just carry on avoiding gluten and lactose.

Updated October 12th, 2010 at 08:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. My kind of practice .... Until

I was pumped when coach handed us this workout. I was ready and motivated to tackle anything she handed me. Then I feel apart during round two of the main set. I let my lane partner move on while I altered my intervals a little in order to maintain somewhat of a decent stroke.

400 CHOICE
    4 X 75 W/10
    25FLY/50FR
    25BA/50FR
    25BR/50FR
    75FR
    200 BACK W/10
    4 X 50 @ 60 DESCEND STROKE COUNT

12 X 50 KICK W/FINS
    EVERY 4TH WAS ALL OUT

2 TIMES THROUGH
    200 @2:45
    5O @ 45
    2 X 50 @ 45
    3 X 50 @ 45
    4 X 50 @45

200 W/D

THE 50'S WERE SUPPOSE TO BE PERFECT FORM RIGHT AFTER OUR BODIES WERE BEAT DOWN BY THE 200'S.
    MY BODY JUST GOT BEAT DOWN MORE THAN I EXPECTED. I HAVE FOUND THAT LATELY I HAVE NOT BEEN AS WINDED DURING MY TOUGHER SETS , ITS JUST THAT I DON'T HAVE ANYMORE GAS IN THE TANK. I THINK THIS IS A SIGN THAT I AM GETTING IN BETTER SHAPE.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tuesday, 10/12/10

by , October 12th, 2010 at 05:27 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, with Carrie

Warm up
    300 Swim free
    1 x 100 smooth drill/2:00 (did 1 arm fly drill)
    2 x 50 swim/ 50 strong (1st free - 40, 2nd fly - 42)
    1 x 100 smooth drill/2:00 (did back drill - 1 arm and catch up)
    2 x 50 swim/55 strong (1st free - 38, 2nd back - 41)
    1 x 100 smooth drill/2:00 (did free drill - 1 arm and catch up)
    2 x 50 swim/1:00 strong (both free - 38-37)

Main Set:
    4 x 200/3:30 build
    (did 1, 3 back; 2, 4 free. back 2:55, 2:57, free 2:50 for both)

Kick
    9 x 100/2:15 as:
    25 under water (did dolphin kick alternating on back and on belly, was only getting about halfway before doming up for air, kicked on surface the rest of the 25)
    25 kick above (flutter kick on back)
    25 swim
    25 swim with overkick
    (alternated free and back on swim parts. was averaging 1:45 on these)

Sprints
    12 x 25/1:00 Free Sprints with 3 Turns per 25!
    (was hitting these at about 20-22 was fun and provided lots of entertainment for the others in the pool)

Warm down
    100 easy

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Tue Oct 12, 2010

by , October 12th, 2010 at 11:05 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Oct 12, 2010

scy
    Whitney Coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    UT Swim Center main pool
    arrived on time
    swam with tenielle Mike paul & sharon
    beside todd, tyler, larry, & chris
    brief

WARM UP
    4 rounds of 150 fr 100 krls

MAIN SET

8 x 25 on 30
    odds fl fast
    evens underwater one breath
    right into
    400 fr 75%

1:00 break

8 x 25 on 30
    odds bk fast
    evens fr one breath
    400 fr 80%

8 x 25 on 35
    odds br fast
    right into
    400 fr 85%

8 x 25 on 30
    odds fr fast
    right into
    400 fr 75%

100 easy

8 x 100 k on 1:40
    desc 1 - 4 hold 5 - 8 strong
    kept em all under 1:20
    went 1;13 on last one

100 easy

assigned 8 x 100
    did 100 then got out to make a 8:00 meeting
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Could barely get up the steps this morning

by , October 12th, 2010 at 07:34 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My back was so locked up I felt pain every step I took. During practice it just took a while to loosen up some, but still was agrevating.

After it is all over, showered and changed I am feeling much better but still not 100%. Oh well that is my life.

400,300,200,100@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins as 25EZ,25Mod,25Fast

goal on this next set LOOSEN UP!
    500 Fly w/fins drills skull, rt/lt arm, kick on back, chest press, rt/lt arm
    10x50@1:00 Fly w/fins & paddles
    4x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins
    4x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Swim, Monday, Oct. 11

by , October 11th, 2010 at 08:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Back in the water for a very slow short swim:

Swim/Solo/SCY @ OakMarr

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins

Main sets:

Solo Social Mini Mountain Kick:

all dolphin kick w/board @ :15-20 RI
    1 x 50
    1 x 100
    1 x 150
    1 x 200
    5 x 1:00 vertical kick (breast, dolphin, flutter, dolphin, breast)
    1 x 200
    1 x 150
    1 x 100
    1 x 50

10 x 50 @ 1:0
    odds = free
    evens = back

6 x 25 breast
    alternating dolphin and whip kick

50 EZ

Total: 2550

Commentary:

Well, it's a start. My throat and lungs are still burning. Cough is slightly better. It's very non-productive, so it needs to just stop soon. Getting healthy feels like a fairly interminable process.

Just to cheer myself up, I checked the LCM rankings and my 4 x 50 from Zones are still in the top ten. I think this reflects a lack of participation in long course this summer. I'll be curious to see if that continues this short course season. Apparently, according to the convention votes, most people don't like the suits. If so, they should be lining up to swim now.

Also, on a whim, I checked the all time FINA rankings and was surprised to find this: Some of these will no doubt change with all the fast chicks entering my age group.

FINA WORLD MASTERS TOP 10 - SHORT COURSE METERS - ALL TIME (1986-2009)

50 SCM BACK:

30.58 K.PIPES-NEILSEN USA 2007
    31.14 LESLIE LIVINGSTON USA 2009
    31.45 BARBARA OPITZ GER 2006
    32.02 SHIZUKO HIRAISHI JPN 2009
    32.51 LAURIE DITOMMASO USA 2009
    32.54 VIBEKE SWANSON USA 2006
    32.59 K.ANDRUS-HUGHES USA 2006
    32.61 SUSANNA ROSEN SWE 2009
    32.65 L VAN PELT-DILLER USA 2003
    32.67 LAURA VAL USA 1999

100 SCM BACK:

1:04.46 K.PIPES-NEILSEN FRA 2009
    1:07.21 ELLEN REYNOLDS USA 2009
    1:09.20 VIBEKE SWANSON USA 2006
    1:09.27 VERA CAPKOVA BEL 2006
    1:09.58 LESLIE LIVINGSTON USA 2009
    1:09.68 KARIN SEICK GER 2007
    1:09.90 L.PELT-DILLER USA 2006
    1:10.17 LISA WARD USA 2009
    1:10.33 LISA DIXON-WELLS CAN 2006
    1:10.40 SUSANNA ROSEN SWE 2009

50 SCM FLY:

29.10 HAYLEY BETTINSON GBR 2009
    29.21 LAURIE DITOMMASO USA 2008
    29.40 K.PIPES-NEILSEN FRA 2009
    29.69 LESLIE LIVINGSTON USA 2009
    29.71 SHIZUKO HIRAISHI JPN 2009
    29.97 USCHI DUMIG GER 2005
    30.02 KARIN SEICK GER 2006
    30.18 LISA DAHL USA 2006
    30.24 TRACI GRANGER USA 2007
    30.37 ARLENE DELMAGE USA 2008

FINA WORLD MASTERS TOP 10 - LONG COURSE METERS - ALL TIME (1986-2009)

50 LCM BACK:

31.71 VALERIE JENKINS USA 2008
    31.85 SUSAN WALSH USA 2007
    31.99 LESLIE LIVINGSTON USA 2009
    32.08 SHIZUKO HIRAISHI JPN 2009
    32.10 K.PIPES-NEILSEN USA 2007
    32.65 VERA CAPKOVA BEL 2006
    32.93 LAURA VAL USA 1997
    33.18 KARIN SEICK GER 2006
    33.34 K.ANDRUS-HUGHES USA 2006
    33.40 CATHY SHEEHAN CAN 2005

50 LCM FLY:

29.37 LAURIE DITOMMASO USA 2009
    29.52 K.PIPES-NEILSEN USA 2008
    29.57 LISA DAHL USA 2009
    29.74 LESLIE LIVINGSTON USA 2009
    29.84 SUSAN WALSH USA 2007
    29.89 SHIZUKO HIRAISHI JPN 2009
    30.01 LISA WARD USA 2009
    30.04 ARLENE DELMAGE USA 2008
    30.30 ANGELA ZINGLER GER 2001
    30.40 ROBIN PARISI USA 2002
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. 10/11/10

by , October 11th, 2010 at 04:06 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    600 Warm up
    3X 200 free 3:00
    100 kick 2:00

10x50s fast free :50

8 x 100 2:00 odds free, evens IM

3X 200 free 3:00
    100 kick 2:00

300 cool down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Pacemakers and ICDs

I had open heart surgery (quadruple by-pass) in 2004 and was given a pacemaker. I weghted 265 lbs. at the time. ( I weighted 305 lbs. in 1992). I started rehab and lost 35 lbs. I started swimming (no high school or college experience).

My heart continued to get weaker and in 2006 they gave me an ICD (Implantable Cardio Difribullator).

By 2008, I had dropped my weight to 195 lbs. and had learned all the strokes. I went to the Nationals in Austin that year and won 5 medals including the 50 yard butterfly. (I had disc surgery on my back in 1976.)

The Yale Medical school is conducting a study on athletes from ages 10-60 who compete on a regular basis. (I am 69 and there is a runner 80.) After several years of recruiting, they currently have 300 athletes but only two (2) swimmers. They want 100 more athletes.

I would like to here from any swimmers who compete with these devices or from anyone who might know of someone who competes with these devices. There are 100,000 ICDs implanted every year and almost all recipents chose to sit on their big fat sofas!

I want to get the word out that this device is not a "death sentence".

Jim Oster
    a/k/a - Mr. Pacemaker
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Mon Oct 11, 2010

by , October 11th, 2010 at 12:14 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Oct 11, 2010

did not swim on Saturday or Sunday

Went to ACL Festival Sun Afternoon & evening

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

scy
    Whitney Coached
    7:30 to 9:00
    UT Swim Center main pool
    arrived 8:30 missed warm up
    swam with marcio and Mike
    beside larry, teneille jon max & ritchie
    brief

WARM UP
    missed

MAIN SET

400 fr

100 k went 1:13

300 fr

100 k went 1;12

200 fr

100 easy

8 x 25 no breather

100 k pretty fast
    went 1:04
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 10/11 Practice

by , October 11th, 2010 at 10:19 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 2x150 swim/kick/swim
    - 4x50 drill swim
    - 200 pull
    - 100 kick
    (Time trial was supposed to be 100 bk, but we were not setup for competition and worse, no backstroke flags. No one time trialed).
    Transition
    - 200 build (2:07) (I built from strong to all out)
    Main Set
    - 4x150 swim on 2:00
    - 4x150 pull w/paddles and buoy on 2:00
    - 100 kick w/ fins ez
    - 6x50 swim w/fins on 1:10 (29,28,27,28,27,27)
    - 100 kick w/fins ez
    - 4x50 swim w/fins on 1:05 (26,26,26,25)
    - 100 kick w/fins ez
    - 2x50 swim w/fins on 1:00 (25,25)
    - 100 kick w/fins ez
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

The 50s were fast, faster and fastest. This doesn't seem like quite enough rest to be speed work, but I don't know what else to call it.

I noticed my flip tuns seem to slam when I am wearing fins, aka I go into the wall with much more torque on the turn. This makes me think that I am depending on my arms to pull me over without using my legs to push me over during my flips. Lifetime is closed this week and I would like to play around and video tape my flip turn, but I might have to make a note to do this at the beginning of November.

Not shaving for the Halloween meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized