View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Warrenton Meet, March 6

by , March 6th, 2011 at 08:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Warrenton Meet/SCY:

Very fun meet! Well run and low key, with lots of nice swimmer folk. I couldn't believe they actually had coffee in the hospitality room. Had some right before my 50 fly. They mayor of Warrenton, who is a masters swimmer, gave out Mayoral Proclamations for those breaking meet records, which was a nice touch.

I didn't love the pool as much as Speedo. But that's likely because I was stuck in lanes 1 & 2 for every race. Those lanes = 7 feet deep. The rest of the lanes = 9 to almost 12 feet deep. It almost goes without saying that I prefer deep water. But thanks to being in the next to last heat in my fly races, at least I had cool clean water. And my times were faster than I expected on a few days rest. Good thing -- since these 3 races are now in the bank for SCY. No do overs. Hopefully, they'll hold up decently against the fast swimming to come at Mesa. It feels slightly odd not tapering for SCY this season, but I have other fish to fry in nice indoor meter pools.

100 fly:

Tech suit best: 1:01.3
    Full body Pro best: 1:04.0
    Today: 1:03.1

My last untapered 100 fly was a 1:02.7 in a B70 in a faster pool (Mason at 2010 Zones). So I'm pretty happy with a time only .4 slower in my paltry little kneeskin at the crack o' dawn. I was out in 29.1, with the predictable piano the last 10 yards. But I had a very clean start and fast underwaters. My breakouts were good, according to Speedo, except for the third one. I can't say my turns were very snappy though; like usual, I was going for big air. Glad this race was first. I think it woke me up a bit as well -- this was my earliest race in some time. SwimShark was kind enough to video it for me.

50 fly:

Tech suit best: 27.0
    Full Body Pro best: 27.6
    Previous Best in kneeskin: 27.8
    Today: 27.2

Thrilled with this time! When I swam the 50 fly at the Sprint Classic last October, I went 27.8 with a glide-y finish. This time, I decided in advance to experiment by staying under water longer off the start and turn (did 12 and 10-11 SDK or so respectively). I also hit my walls fairly well. Result: .6 faster in a slower pool. I'll take that! This time is only .2 off my PB of 27.0 swum twice in a Jaked and B70. So it's my second fastest time ever. Maybe execution is even more important than tapering for 50s. And I'm glad I experimented with more SDKs in my 50; now I know it's faster. Speedo did say I had a couple dolphin kicks on the surface on my second 25, so that's still something to work on and improve. And I grazed my hand on the lane line on the second length. Everyone seemed to agree the lanes were slightly narrow though.

100 IM:

Tech suit best: 1:04.1
    Ful body Pro best: 1:06.8
    Today: 1:04.3

Hadn't swum this race in SCY since the Auburn meet in 2009 when I was fully tapered and in B70. This meet, based on my 100 fly time and in a kneeskin, I figured I'd go a 1:06 or so. So I was rather shocked to see the 1:04.3, only .2 off my PB, with splits of 29.0/35.3. This swim felt relatively better than the last few 100 IMs that I dimly remember. I wore a nose clip (which made the 12 SDKs on the back leg easier) and went out slightly slower on the first 50. My breast leg also felt better. I was in lane 1 for this race. My one big mental error was that I came off the wall on freestyle flutter kicking instead of dolphin kicking. WTH? When I realized I was flutter kicking underwater, I popped up and started swimming. Would love to see what I'd go fully tapered and in a deeper pool, but, hey, I'll take this time too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

All in good, a great meet and a great start to 2011. I'll swim 3 more events in SCY at CZ in April (again, on only a few days rest) -- 50 free, 50 breast and 100 back. Then, I'll have had a crack at all my best events in SCY. I must admit I'm a bit sad not to be going to Mesa. But one can't do everything.

After my last few short course meets without my beloved B70, my prevailing thought is I am really, really glad I've invested so much time in dolphin kicking. I think it's saving me in this transition period. Oddly, I think using tech suits may have helped me become a better kicker by causing me to focus more on streamlining and kicking. I became a better underwater swimmer, and taking the suits away doesn't seem to have changed that terribly much.

Full meet results:

http://www.warrentonmasters.org/2011...11-results.htm

Mr. Fort also won his age division of the 10 mile adventure trail race this am. He said it was the hardest 10 miles of racing he's ever done. His training parter didn't fare as well in the rainy muddy conditions, repeatedly falling. Mr. Fort is a like little billy goat.

Updated March 6th, 2011 at 09:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Elko Triathlon

by , March 6th, 2011 at 09:22 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    3/5/11

Elko High School Track Team held their 8th annual Elko Triathlon. This was started as a way for the track team members to get to know each other better at the beginning of each season (and as a fund raiser) and has become a big event for many of the local adult athletes. I have teamed up with my brother (runner) to do this every year. Fun event. It also has been a first triathlon for many local athletes here, including several that I have coached.

The short taper I did the last 2 days helped me to have one of the better swims I have had in this event. Not a best time, but within 10 sec of my previous best and a smooth swim where I felt great and relaxed the entire time. The only downside is I can't count!! We don't use counters and even though the timer will tell us when there is 50 to go we're pretty much on our own to keep track of our laps. I suck at this. Usually lose track of how far I've swam after about 200. Must be a sprinter thing. lol Anyway I had planned to pick up the pace with 200-250 to go and had just began this surge when I was at this point (according to my count) when my timer stuck the kickboard in the water indicating I had 50 to go. But it still was a good swim and I was surprised at how good I felt. Probably could have gone out a little faster and held on throughout. As a team we did very well also. Was third overall and second in the team division. Not too bad as those who beat us were 20-30 year olds. The high school kids were in a separate division. As a side note, my son's high school team won the event breaking the course record they set last year.

Updated March 6th, 2011 at 10:06 AM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FILE0008.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	6588  
  3. Saturday with the Gang

by , March 6th, 2011 at 06:44 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Our team has "official" Saturday practices that, depending on location, are either at 7am or 10am. This week's was at 10am. When that happens, a group of us (for whom 10am is just too late to swim) meet at the Y for our "unofficial" practice. I have been swimming on my own on Saturdays instead of with the team. Today, however, it just made sense location-wise to swim at the Fishers Y instead of heading down to the Fort Ben Y (where I swim alone sometimes). I had to drop my daughter off at the junior high that is only three blocks from the Fishers Y.

I should also mention that while I was sitting in the high school bleachers on Friday night for 2 hours, my side/back issue reared its ugly head. With packed bleachers and no where to move (or even to stand up because of those behind me), I left Friday's community performance night in pain. Sleeping did nothing to alleviate it. So, I was not looking to swim with the team - I was planning another kick-fest. It just didn't work out that way. Here's what they (I) did:

400 Warm-Up (200 for me; swimming gingerly)
    2 sets:
    1 x 300 Pull on 5:00
    1 x 200 Kick on 4:00
    1 x 100 All Drill on 2:00
    4 sets:
    1 x 200 Free on 3:30
    2 x 50 Free on 1:00 (25 hard, 25 easy)
    6 sets:
    4 x 25 Free on :40
    1 x 100 Free FAST on 2:00
    300 Cool-Down
    Total Yards: 4300 (4100)

Here's where I varied: By the set of 4, I was starting to feel twinges in my side, so I swam the first two rounds and kicked the second two rounds of the 200. In the final set, I swam the first two rounds, did fly drill fast on the third round, and kicked rounds 4-6. I did do a very slow 300 free cool-down. Should I have done this workout? Not according to my side now. Saturday night was horrible. I could hardly move. Taking Sunday completely off.

The other part of Saturday was that my daughter had her color guard divisional meet. THEY DID AWESOME! The girls (all 43 of them!) received another GOLD rating and finished first place out of the 15 teams competing in their cadet class. Shout out to them! WAY TO GO HSE CORPORATION JV COLOR GUARD!

One other thing I noted on Saturday: I need to stop swimming alone on Saturdays and swim with these people. They are all fast - I am easily the slowest, but they are fun and supportive - and I try harder when I swim with them. They make me better - and I need that.

Happy swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Saturday, Mar. 5, 2011 SCM Meet in CDA, Idaho

by , March 6th, 2011 at 03:00 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    We went over to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for a SCM meet today...leaving Wenatchee at 6:45 am (3 1/2 hour drive) for 10:30 warmups. I just got home now at 11:30pm!! I'm exhausted, but had a great meet. In fact, everyone on our team had a great meet, so to all!!!

I'm gonna give the really condensed version of my events, so I can sleep.

We were also competing at 2200 feet of elevation, so it was a little fun. I normally train at 1200, so it's a little step up for me.

I don't have splits, but I can give guesses.

400 SCM IM - 5:08.06 (out in a 1:06), I saw that on the scoreboard...the rest of the race just hurt. Could have gone faster.
    Best time by 11 seconds!! New LMSC Age Group Record. Converts to a 4:36.02 in SCY (note: used swimmingworld.com's converter for all)

200 Mixed Free Relay - swam a 50 Fly

200 SCM Free - 2:08.29 - I went out a little slower than normal, and had more energy on the back half...imagine that!!! I think it was 1:03/1:04.5
    Best time by 2.3 seconds!! New LMSC Record. Converts to a 1:54.95 SCY

400 Mixed Medley Relay - swam fly - actually tried on this one so we could set the LMSC record...I split a 1:03!

200 SCM Back - 2:29.60 - Race of a lifetime...I swam this neck and neck with a great 57 year old swimmer who hasn't competed in over 3 years, and he and I matched each other stroke for stroke, kick for kick the whole way...he ended up touching my out at the end by a tenth of a second.
    Best time by over 4 seconds!! New LMSC Record. Converts to a 2:14.04 SCY

800 Mixed Free Relay, another LMSC record by default (no prior for our age group)...we all just swam this easy as a cool down, I did a 150 really easy free then finished with the last 50 sprint fly, probably getting close to a 31 or so.

200 SCM Fly - 2:24.22 - By this point of the meet we were I don't know how many hours into it, but everyone was exhausted. I just wanted to be able to beat my earlier 200 backstroke time so I could still call myself a flyer!!!
    New best time by 1.5 seconds. New LMSC Record. Converts to a 2:09.22 SCY

400 SCM Free - 4:40.62 - I was shot before this race started, but I still tried to make a good attempt at it anyway. My best time was a 4:32, which was swum last year, and also was the first event of that meet, so to come with 8 seconds of it tonight was really good for how tired I was.
    Converts to a 5:20.75 SCY

I think it was after 7:00pm when I started the last race, and my first swim of the day was at 11:00am. They did have 4 heats of the 1500 just after the 400 IM, and that took up a little over 2 hours, which gave a nice lunchbreak for me (TACO BELL!!!!)...this in addition the breakfast of champions at McDonalds, and the dinner of a lifetime a Burger King, make one day of well rounded meals!!! Can't forget the refilling of Mountain Dew on the drive home.

Overall, best meet I've had in a while, 4 out of 5 best times, even some when I was so tired I shouldn't have been able to, but still found a way!!

Got the idea from Patrick to keep track of this:
    Pools I’ve competed in since starting Masters (Mar. 2009) (SCY unless noted)

• King County Aquatics Center, Federal Way, WA
    • Whitworth University, Spokane, WA
    • Sandpoint West Athletic Club, Sandpoint, ID (SCM)
    • Briggs YMCA, Olympia, WA
    • Wenatchee High School, Wenatchee, WA
    • Helene Madison Swim Center, Seattle, WA
    • University of Idaho – Moscow, Moscow, ID
    • Hood River Aquatics Center, Hood River, OR (SCM)
    • Tualitan Hills Recreation Center, Beaverton, OR (LCM)
    • Mount Hood Community College, Gresham, OR (LCM)
    • Bainbridge H.S. Aquatic Center, Bainbridge, WA
    • South Davis Recreation Center, Bountiful, UT (SCM)
    • Oak Harbor Aquatic Center, Oak Harbor, WA (SCM)
    • Canby Swim Center, Canby, OR
    • Juanita H.S. Aquatics Center, Kirkland, WA
    • Ray & Joan Kroc Center, Coeur d’Alene, ID (SCM)

Updated March 8th, 2011 at 09:48 AM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Meets
  5. A short one

by , March 5th, 2011 at 08:44 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I only had a short time to swim before the kids meet.

10x100@1:40 Free
    500 Free w/fins kick every 3rd 25 fast
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy

Total 2000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Morning wake up

Worked on some more pacing today. I really need it. Felt good through most of it I just didn't swim quite as well as I felt. That's alright, I'll take what I can get.

10 Min. mix up w/u
    4 x 50 free drill (coaches choice)

2 x 500 w/10
    Hold 1:15's for me. Did good on the first one, second one got sloppy.

50 EZ

Broken 500
    (3 x 100 w/10, 4 x 50 w/10)

50 EZ

6 x 50
    Drill to flag, hit turn hard and sprint 25 AFAP.

50 EZ

4 x 225
    (150 free, 50 stroke , 25 stroke sprint)

6 x 75 w/20
    (25 drill, 25 build, 25 sprint with 10 push ups after each 75)

300 w/d

We were running out of time so we took a vote and skipped the 4 x 225. So actually we only went 3600. I may have cast my vote for the wrong item. The push ups after the sprints were not very fun.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Swimming in the flood plain!

by , March 5th, 2011 at 12:46 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    On my way to Noblesville for practice this morning the thought occurred to me that I could just park the car and swim across some of the flooded fields. The water (measured by the submerged fence tops) had to be 5' at least. I could have enjoyed an open-water swim, saved gas, and returned home much faster than I did.

**250 freestyle warm-up
    **100 Free @ 1:45
    **4 X 25 Stroke @ :45
    **200 Free @ 3:30
    **4 X 25 Kick @ :45
    **300 Free @ 4:45
    **4 X 25 Stroke Drill @ :45
    **400 Free @ 6:00
    **300 Free @ 4:45
    **4 X 25 Kick @ :45
    **200 Free @ 3:30
    **100 Free @ 1:45
    **250 cool-down swim

2,700 scy
    I had a bad head-ache all night probably due to the margarita I had with my mexican dinner last night.
    I liked the flow of the swim we did this morning and by the end of the swim my head was fine and I was back to 100%. Swimming is pretty amazing for hang-overs!

Okay I'm off to the back room to do my mindful (mindless) yoga!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Saturday Workout

by , March 5th, 2011 at 09:15 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    SCY

500 Warm up

300 Pull
    3 x 100 Free
    300 Kick

300 Pull
    100 IM - 1:45
    200 Free - 3:15
    300 Kick

2 Times Through
    * 200 Free
    * 4 x 50 IM Order - 1:00
    * 100 Free
    * 200 IM
    * 4 x 50 Free - :50
    * 100 IM

(5000 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. It rubs the lotion on its skin

by , March 5th, 2011 at 01:31 AM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    It's been a long winter.

Desperate to leave the frigid suburbs of Chicago, I recently signed up for the Open Water Safety Conference to be held in San Francisco on March 18-20.

http://www.openwatersource.com/open-...onference.html

I confess I probably wouldn't have chosen to travel to this conference if it weren't in one of my favourite places in the world. Also, I really really want to swim in San Francisco Bay!!!

With the help of Leslie Thomas of swim-art.com, Chaos, RobbieD, E-H2O, myself and several others (and anyone else who wants!) are planning a swim from the Golden Gate Bridge to Aquatic Park on Friday morning the 18th March.

The water will probably be in the low 50's, so it'll be a challenge for my pool bound self.

Although I'm still spooked by the life threatening neoprene allergy attack I experienced in Tampa in January, and know I can't swim in a wetsuit, I've found the perfect alternative!!!!! I'm sure one of the Fisherman's Wharf sea lions will offer its life to ensure my warmth. I might even get a pair of pants out of one of them if I cut carefully.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCAsXhyLofI"]YouTube - Man vs. Wild - Seal-Skin Wetsuit[/nomedia]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday

by , March 4th, 2011 at 11:55 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Solo today at a very crowded Monon Center! I used to be able to count on the pool being empty after school till 5:30 or so. This afternoon there were lap swimmer's out the wazoo! Swimming is beoming a very popular workout activity!
    **Broken 1,650 (11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1) too tired to note interval
    **3 X 200 IM @ 4:00 interval
    **6 X 100 IM @ 2:00 Interval
    **12 X 50 @ 1:00 IMO Kick, Drill, Swim
    **easy 50 cool-down

3,500 scy

Just when I decided to give up on the meditation gig I tuned into a radio show on Sirrius Doctor Radio; they were discussing adult preventative medicine. During a brief discussion of dementia they mentioned the latest studies show the only successful way to ward off this terrible condition is meditation. Previously it was thought that learning a new language or completing daily puzzles would keep the brain sharp. It turns out this is not true and mindful meditation is the only practice proven to help. I guess I'll get serious about my meditation again tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters: 5:30 AM workout 03/07/11

by , March 4th, 2011 at 06:52 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    3 X 150 2:30 2:15
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 50 :50 :45
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left,2 right. Descend 50's 1-4.

1 X 200 kick 4:15
    1 X 100 swim 2:00
    1 X 100 kick 2:00
    1 X 100 swim 2:00
    10 X 50 kick 1:00

1 X 100 free moderate 2:00
    1 X 100 stroke or IM 2:00
    1 X 50 fast-choice- 1:30
    Four times through.

5 X {3 X 100 1:25 1:20 1:15
    OR 1:35 1:30 1:25

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5600Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, March 4

by , March 4th, 2011 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

RC work, 20 minutes

Stretching, 30 minutes

Swim/SCM/Solo:

1000 easy

hottub, 20 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Just taking it easy for the meet this weekend.

Iron in Athletes:

I started stressing about my thyroid levels earlier today. According to my recent labs, my levels of free T 3 and free T4 are worse in the last 6 weeks even though my thyroid medication was slightly increased. The only change has been adding iron to my regimen. Every doctor I've consulted seems to feel fairly strongly that my ferritin levels are simply too low. But I'm starting to wonder if the iron is preventing absorption of the thyroid hormones (a known side effect) while not helping much. Perhaps borderline anemia is my own norm? I've been that way all my life. Dr. Jimslie tends to dismiss diagnoses of anemia, saying that athletes suffer from pseudo-anemia. This is caused by a dilutional effect -- greater blood plasma volumes from training.

I decided to do some quick googling and found this article:

http://blog.firstendurance.com/2008/...ance-athletes/

One relevant excerpt:

"However, the most common cause of a low hematocrit (a ratio of red blood cells to whole blood) in athletes is pseudo-anemia, which is a dilution of the blood caused by plasma expansion. This is not true anemia, as the actual number of red blood cells is not decreased. (Portal 2003) Another study showed that endurance athletes were less likely than the general population to have iron deficiency. Out of 52 controls, 50% were iron deficient, and out of 126 atheletes, 26% were iron deficient. (Malczewska 2000)"

Another article and excerpt:

http://www.gssiweb.com/Article_Detai...?articleid=276

"But sports anemia is a misnomer because in most such athletes—especially men—the low hemoglobin level is a false anemia. The total volume of red cells in the body is normal, not low. Hemoglobin level is decreased because aerobic exercise expands the baseline plasma volume; this reduces the concentration of red cells, which contain the hemoglobin. In other words, the naturally lower hemoglobin level of an endurance athlete is a dilutional pseudoanemia."

Maybe my doctors just don't think I'm an athlete?

Updated March 4th, 2011 at 06:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  13. DOUBLE FAST Fri Mar 4th, 2011, 1:51.0

by , March 4th, 2011 at 04:08 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE FAST Fri Mar 4th, 2011

ZONES are 28 days away

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Tyler the Miler Coached
    UT, SCY Center course
    Noon to 1:15, dove in 12:05ish
    trained with Bob, Guy, Jim, & Steve
    wore FS PRO legs

WARM UP
    did easy 50's on 40 & 50

Main SET:

50 fl fast in heats off blocks
    started out in heat 1 of 3
    went 25.5

50 easy

50 bk fast
    went 27.5

50 easy

50 br fast
    went 29.9

100 easy

50 fr fast
    went 24.0

100 easy

100 fr fast
    went 55.5

100 easy

100 fr fast
    went 51.9

100 easy

100 fr fast
    went 51.9

assigned 200 fr fast 100 warm down
    did: skipped it

rested 10 minutes
    put on old worn out B70 legs

200 fr fast
    did it 100 2 beat kick, 50 light 6 beat, 50 6 beat
    went 1:51.0
    54.4 56.6

50 fr easy

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    2011 South Central Zone SCY Championships
    Josh Davis Natatorium, San Antonio, TX
    Days Till

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
    2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
    Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
    Order of Events
    Days till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. 3/4/11

by , March 4th, 2011 at 03:17 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Had a decent workout this morning. Did a bit of free drill and swim. Nothing outragous though...capped it off with some IM 25's which I was happy with considering I was lane sharing and pushing from the wall.

Warm

600 FR
    4 x 50 Fly 1:30
    10 x 50 1:30 my kick sucked today..legs felt weary but I've been feeling run down with snifflys the last few days...

Main
    4 times wearing fins through with a breath or two between the drills, swim on 1:30ish
    1 x 100 Fulcrums
    1 x 100 Stick
    1 x 100 3 n Glide
    1 x 100 Free (Fast)

IM Bursts
    12 x 25 IMO 1:00
    No backstroke as it really doesn't exist in my IM...got some decent times for a push. :15s and 17's on the Free and Fly...happy enough.

Kick
    500 fin kick 25 Fr/ 25 Fly

Cool
    3 x 100 EZ
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. MATT Friday Workout - Roger is back

by , March 4th, 2011 at 01:59 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    SCY

500 Warm up

4 x 50 - 1:00 Descend Fly
    4 x 50 - 1:00 Descend Back

5 x 200 - 3:00 Even 1st 50 Kick/Odd 1st 50 stroke

8 x 50 - :50 Free

5 x 200 - 2:45

4 x 50 - 1:00 Descend Breast
    4 x 50 - 1:00 Descend Free

200 Cool Down

(3900 Total)

Roger showed up today after a two week trip to the SEC Championships and North Africa. Lots of great stories about South Sudan and Kenya. Great to have him back!

Good workout overall. I'm getting faster with the drag suit but I've still got a long way to go. Breast stroke is improving nicely. I descended to a 38 pushing off from the wall. I still get sloppy when I try to swim hard but it is much better.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Friday, 3/4/11

by , March 4th, 2011 at 01:41 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Another short workout as I'm trying to rest a little before doing a triathlon swim tomorrow. It will be a 750 y swim in a pool. I hope to equal or improve on my previous best for this event.

Warm up
    300 Swim
    - 150 fr/150 ba
    200 Kick
    - 100 flutter w/board/100 flutter on back
    200 Pull
    - w/p&b
    100 Scull
    - w/snorkel

Swim Set:
    4 x 50/1:00 Build
    - all free @ 36±
    8 x 25/30 Build
    - free/fly/back no times
    4 x 12.5/30 Sprint
    - all free around 7

Cool down:
    500 Swim
    - alt 100 free and 100 back

Total: 1750 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Getting Better Still....

by , March 4th, 2011 at 12:40 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    YAY! I did the workout as written! No changing pull sets for kick sets, freestyle for kicking (or fly) - and my side/back muscle that's been wreaking havoc with my practices all week never seized up like I was half expecting it to! Maybe I'm finally on the road to full recovery - and then I can start really concentrating on strengthening my pull and sprinting.

Here's what we did today:

400 Warm-Up
    1 x 100 Free on 1:30
    4 x 25 Free on 1:00 (fast, no breathing)
    1 x 200 Free on 3:00
    4 x 25(ish) Kick on 1:00 - actually done as a :40 continuous kick HARD against the wall
    1 x 300 Free on 4:30
    4 x 25 Free on 1:00 (fast as possible)
    1 x 400 Free on 6:30
    4 x 25 Kick on 1:00 (fast, underwater)
    1 x 400 Pull on 6:30 negative split
    4 x 25 Free on 1:00 (fast as possible)
    1 x 300 Pull on 4:30 negative split
    4 x 25(ish) Kick on 1:00 - done as :40 continuous kick HARD against the wall
    1 x 200 Pull on 3:00 (negative split)
    4 x 50 Free Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3100

I should note that I had to get out early, so my cool-down should have been 4x25 free afap, followed by a 100 pull, and 300 kick cool-down. However.... mom-duty called, so I got out and got back home.

Thoughts on this set:
    1. The kicks against the wall were really good (and wore out my legs). To be honest, I worked harder at those kick sets than I would have had we been kicking a 25 yard length. Must remember to do these more often!

2. I made the intervals! I have gotten down to swimming 1;25's for 100s lately, which is the fastest pace I've ever swam at. And, I was able to hold pace on all but the last 300 pull (which I only missed by a smidge). Not too shabby!

3. I DID IT!Did what? Well, let me start out by saying that my breath control is not stellar (by any stretch of the imagination). I am an every stroke breather and have to really concentrate to hold an every other stroke pattern for more than 25 yards. Also, in the 1 1/2 years that I've been swimming now, I have never been able to make it 25 yards underwater (even with fins) without having to surface and breathe (at least once). Today, I made it the entire length of the pool kicking underwater - TWICE! Whew! That's my moment of the day. May sound stupid to some people, but I've been so close before and now I finally can do it! Now, to get consistent and be able to do them all - not just a few shooters here and there. Isn't interesting how as soon as one goal is accomplished, another one is set?

Tomorrow's practice is slated for 4100 yards. While the intervals look do-able, I haven't swam more than 3100 yards at a time (i.e. today) without having my back/side muscle seize. Here's hoping the recovery will continue....
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. FAST Fri Mar 4th, 2011

by , March 4th, 2011 at 11:32 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Mar 4th, 2011

There's several meets happening this weekend
    Indianapolis Grand Prix RESULTS

2011 Speedo Champions Series Southern Zone Sectional Championships
    College Station, TX

American Short Course (P/F)
    March 3 - 5, 2011
    Austin, TX
    RESULTS

Pac 10 Men's Swimming and Diving

Date: March 2-5, 2011
    Venue: Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool

ZONES are 28 days away
    entered nats, need to enter zones
    pondering events, it's time to get strong and fast

Bought tickets to 2011 Womens NCAA's

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, SCY Center course, north side
    5:30 to 7:00 dove in first
    trained with tyler, todd, ritchie, nate, kelly, max, beth & mike varozza
    wore worn out FS PRO jammer,

WARM UP
    500 fr 4 sdks off each wall
    400 fr
    300 IM
    200 k went 2:26

Main SET:

50 fl fast in heats off blocks
    started out in heat 2 of 5
    went 24.5

100 easy

50 bk fast
    went 26.4

100 easy

50 br fast
    went 29

100 easy

50 fr fast
    went 23

100 easy

100 fr fast
    went 53.8

100 easy

100 fr fast (missed my heat and went in 3rd heat)
    went 52.6

100 easy

100 fr fast (did short warm down, went in 2nd heat)
    cruised it
    went 57

(put on legskin)

100 fr fast
    went 51.6

200 fr fast
    swam it easy speed 150 2 beat k, 50 6 beat kick
    went 1:56, which kinda surprised me, it felt slower

100 warm down
    we were running out of practice time
    last heat was up
    so I jumped up and did another one
    would have liked more rest

200 fr
    probably swam with heat 4 or 5
    went 1:55

100 easy

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    2011 South Central Zone SCY Championships
    Josh Davis Natatorium, San Antonio, TX
    Days Till

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
    2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
    Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
    Order of Events
    Days till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. The Friday Flyer

by , March 4th, 2011 at 09:50 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Long Course of course and you know what that means.... got to scare people out of my lane.

1000 Free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1@:10R
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick/50 FAST
    5x100@1:45 Free w/paddles & bouy good pace
    200 Free easy

Total 3200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Thursday

by , March 3rd, 2011 at 11:20 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Tonight was Nasti's:

**600 Freestyle warm-up
    **6 X 100 @ 1:45
    **3 X 200 @ 3:30
    **4 X 150 @ 2:45
    **8 X 25 Breath control drills (I did fly and back sprints @ :40)
    **200 cool-down swim
    2,800 scy

I needed to go home and meditate but ended up watching "The Office" re-runs and eating Subway and Klondike Bars. I am flunking my mindfulness course and it isn't really bothering me. I going to try to get back on track this week-end.
    Categories
    Uncategorized