View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Both sides now

Today I swam at Riverbank pool with a swim buddy. There was a green grape on the bottom of our lane when we got in.

This was my weekly 2-hour lcm workout. Today’s priorities were (1) long easy distance swimming + (2) some breaststroke technique work + (3) a bit of fly and back to review what I’d learned in yesterday’s KPN clinic (more on that below). All of today’s swims were at a comfortable pace—no intervals, no clock watching. Here’s how it went:

1000 warmup

3 x 100 FR with 2/4/6/8/6/4/2 beat kick

3 x (50K/50swim), IM order, no FR, remembering clinic keys

4 x 500 FR, bilateral breathing [I managed to breathe on both sides today, mostly 2-2-3 for the whole 500. That, combined with not watching the clock, made these swims feel very relaxed and hypnotic.]

After the 500s I talked with my swim buddy, who is also my relay partner for MIMS this summer, about bilateral breathing. We both favor our right and are working on getting more comfortable breathing on our left. He suggested we do some 50s breathing just on our left.

10 x 50 FR, breathing just to left [My relay partner’s definition of 50s is apparently continuous swimming with open turns—I was getting :01-:02 seconds rest on these! I finally stopped and did the last 8 on my own interval.]
    8 x 50 FR, odds breathing to left, evens breathing every 3

300 pull with paddles, alternating left breathing w/ 3-stroke breathing by 50s

3 x 100 FR w/ snorkel, working on catch and early hand exit

3 x 100 w/ fins, done as (50 fly kick / 50 BR timing drill)

300 warmdown + play

It was a very pleasant and relaxing workout, despite somewhat chaotic lane conditions. We were all squashed in 3 lcm lanes for the first 1.5 hours of lap swim, due to a guard shortage. It’s always frustrating to see those other 5 lanes sitting empty when that happens and we’re swimming 10 per lane. At least we weren’t trying to do complicated stroke sets on tight intervals today.

Yesterday afternoon I went to a 3-hour clinic put on by Karlyn Pipes-Nielsen that covered butterfly, back, and breaststroke. It was most excellent, and I came away with several keys for making my strokes better.

Fly has always been my worst stroke, but I feel like I finally had a breakthrough there. The most important advice I got yesterday was to release earlier on my pull—pretty much at my waist, rather than at the bottom of my suit. I’d been told to do this before, but never realized just how early an early release should be. Yesterday I played around with finishing my strokes at different points, and found one that made all the other things I’ve been trying to do in fly—straighter pull, less pausing at the front of the stroke, faster turnover, wider entry—way easier. It’s cool when one little change seems to make everything else fall into place!

On backstroke there was also one drill that seemed to help my stroke feel better. It involved doing half a length letting your wrists bend on the pull, then half a length with wrists held firm. I never felt like I broke my wrist on my BK pull before, but after doing this drill I realized I probably do. When I focused on keeping my wrists straighter, I felt like I was pushing the water more with the bottom of my hand rather than my fingers, and my pull felt more powerful.

I really liked KPN’s approach of alternating between doing different aspects of the stroke “right way/wrong way”, and comparing how each felt, and experimenting around with different degrees of change until you’ve found what works best. I’ve always found it way easier to make changes when I know in my body why something works better for me, than simply to do it because I’ve been told to. Also, just being around Karlyn and seeing her energy and excitement about all things swimming was fun and made me want to get back to the pool as soon as possible to play around with all the things she discussed. It was definitely a fun and useful afternoon!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. GRIN State Meet - Day One

by , March 26th, 2011 at 07:31 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Today was the first day of the Indiana state meet. I first swam this meet last year and am typically not freaked out by meets. Sure, I get nervous before my events, but those are just jitters. For whatever reason, this meet freaked me out. From about 2am on, I just tossed and turned and when I finally got out of bed, was just not right - fatigued, tight, nervous, and feeling befuddled about why.

Needless to say, the meet didn't go exactly as I wanted it too - but, in reality, it wasn't that bad. I didn't have the time drops I was hoping for, but being that I was working on little sleep and never really tapered (not even my three-day taper), I shouldn't be disappointed. Yet, I am - just a bit.

My first race was the 200 Free. I hate this race. The only reason I swam it was because I am swimming it at Y Nationals instead of swimming the 100 back (since I've never swam outdoors before, the 100 back seemed a little risky - with me seeing shapes in the clouds and all ). I actually felt pretty good - my training partner said my start beat everyone else into the water. If only the race could have ended there.... Anyhoo, I felt pretty smooth the entire way and even was able to sprint the last 25 into the wall. Why was I disappointed? My time was a 2:30. The last time I swam the 200 Free was a 2:30. The time before was a 2:30. Doesn't seem to matter how I feel, how hard I take it out, or how dead I am at the end - I get a 2:30. On the flip side, that's back to back 1:15s - which is awesome for me.

Next up was the 50 Fly. I was hoping to drop from my personal best of 34.30. Instead, I got a 34.44. While not what I wanted, I probably didn't push all out on the second 25 like I should have. In the back of my mind was that the 100 Fly was only 4 events away....

Finally, the 100 Fly. Wished there was more rest between the 2 fly events, but that was not to be. This is only my third time swimming the 100 Fly and the other two times, I swam a 1:19. This was was a low 1:21. I will say, however, that the final 25 was agony - I just kept thinking "KEEP GOING". Going into the race, I already knew that I was the only 40-44 female in it. As long as I didn't DQ, I would be the State Champion. Can't believe how hard it was to get my arms out over the water for those last 4 strokes. But... I didn't get DQ'd, finished the race, and still kind of marvel that I can actually swim a 100 Fly - I have only been swimming - at all - for 1 1/2 years. Not bad.

The last event was a 200 Mixed Free relay. My leg was a 30.69. Just 0.2 off my best ever regular swim on 30.40, and I'm still hoping to break the :30 mark in tomorrow's race. Wish me luck.

Tomorrow's events are 2 relays, 50 Free, 50 Back, and 100 Free. Hoping for better results.... time will tell.

Now, it's time for a good dinner and then off to bed. Oh, and one more thing, WAY TO GO BUTLER BULLDOGS! Returning to the Final Four! YAY!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Saturday, 3/26/11

by , March 26th, 2011 at 05:30 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    With Fins:
    400 swim - 200 kick - 200 IM Drill - 100 Strong Swim
    Fins Off:
    8 x 50/1:30; 15 Fast Breakout - 20 easy - 15 Fast Finish
    Controlled kick out - Strong legs on Finish
    - did free, back and fly on these

Practice 3 - 4 Turns
    did as 100 attacking the walls and easy between flags

Main Set:
    Repeat following 3 times:
    2 x 100 pace - NO CLOCK
    20 counts rest

1 x 50 Fast off Blocks/2:00
    - all 3 free off blocks, was just under 30 on all 3

Practice 3 - 4 Fast Turns
    - like above

Kick/Drill
    Repeat 3 Times:
    - did 1st time free with board and snorkel, 2nd and 3rd on back
    2 x 50/1:30 light legs
    all around 1:00
    - 2 x 50/1:30 strong legs
    - was between 46 and 48 on all

1 x 200 IM/5:00 50 Dolphin on front - 50 Bk Scull - 50 Brst Drill - 50 Fr Build

Mini Set With Fins
    4 x 100/1:45 50 DPS - 50 Build
    - 1:15-1:20 on these 13-14 SPL

Cool down
    200 easy free and back

Total: 3650 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 23,000+yds (but not in the water....)

by , March 26th, 2011 at 04:58 PM (Dan's hobby/obsession)
    I run sometimes, too - usually not like this

This morning was a half-marathon race along Lake Sammamish between Issaquah, WA and Redmond, WA. It was a nice, cool morning and we were lucky because the rain that was forecast did not appear!!

1:34:00.4 -- good for 27th place, but that 0.4 sec really ...

When the weather improves I'll also cycle. So, yes, I am becoming a triathlete.

In my defense, I didn't intend to - but there just aren't many swimming competitions for us old folks here in the Northwest. And I like having events to train for...(or is it "for which to train?)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sat Mar 26th, 2011

by , March 26th, 2011 at 04:46 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Mar 26th, 2011

6 days til Zones
    working on: losing some weight, getting stronger in the weight room & faster in the pool.

Zones Entries:
    Fri 1650 fr, 400 IM
    Sat 500 fr, 200 bk, 100 fr, 200 br
    Sun 1000 fr, 50 fr, 200 IM, 50 fl

Inspiring http://www.godvine.com/Injury-Turns-...-Girl-323.html

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?p=239296#post239296"]Lost Motivation?[/ame]

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, SCY main pool for swim downs after fast swims
    7:30 - 9:00
    dove in on around 7:50
    trained with max larry jim
    wore B70 jammer

WARM UP
    went 800 easy

Main SET:

200 IM broken 10 sec rest at each 50

50 easy

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    2011 South Central Zone SCY Championships
    Josh Davis Natatorium, San Antonio, TX
    Days Till
    Entered:
    Fri 1650 fr, 400 IM

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
    2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
    Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
    Order of Events
    Days till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 3/26/11 1st swim since Monday

by , March 26th, 2011 at 09:30 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Haven't felt well all wee battle a bad cold...but a few days of only hurt my GTD mileage nothing else...

I went today as I felt a little clearer in the sinuses and I had a good swim.

Warm Up
    300 with forearm fulcrums I've been tweaking my shoulder by pushing down a bit in my pull...the fulcrums will help me train out of this little habit I've picked up.

Main
    100-500-100 Pyramid on a 1:45 base. I got good rest and pushed the back half of the set.
    rest1min

Kick

500 with fins alt FR/FL by 25

100 IM with lane mate

Cool

2 x 100 EZ

Travelling back to Harvard in a bit to see my 9 yer old son swim in YMCA New Englands....he is just all about his name going up on the board. I hope he doesn't stop mid swim to check if it's there.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 7th meet in 60 days!

by , March 26th, 2011 at 12:08 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Tomorrow will be (yes this is right) my 7th meet in a ~60 day period. The Inland NW Champs meet. I'm pretty much swimming my "off" events at this one...aside from the 400 IM or course.

Here's my path:
    Jan. 23rd,
    Feb. 5th,
    Feb. 13th,
    Feb. 21st,
    Mar. 5th,
    Mar 12th,
    and now Mar. 26-27th!

For the ~90 period I'll be adding the Apr. 9th for Zones, and April 30-May 1st for Nats for a total of 9 meets over a roughly 90 day period.

Call me stupid, dumb, energizer bunny, or all 3!! I'm still swimming fast, and having fun!

The key is rotating the events around too...there's no way I would repeat meet after meet of the same ol' stuff.
    Crazy thing is that at the awards/annual meeting there, I'm not even eligible for the "waterlogged award" (which they give to the people that attend all LMSC meets in the season), because I missed one of the LMSC meets to go to the NW SCM Zone meet outside the area in November!!
    Categories
    Meets
  8. Carpe Noctem

by , March 25th, 2011 at 11:16 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    After this evening's workout, I have a new appreciation for those who workout any time but first thing in the morning. I don't know how you do it, because I was dragging ass.

I worked out with The Tall Guy at the upstate college pool with a workout from a fast lane teammate:

1000 (SKIPS)

200 @ 3:00
    175 / 25 on 2:35 & :25
    150 / 50 on 2:00 & 1:00
    125 / 75 on 1:45 & 1:15
    100 / 100 on 1:30 & 1:30
    75 / 125 on 1:15 & 1:45
    50 / 150 on 1:00 & 2:00
    25 / 175 on :25 & 2:35
    200 @ 3:00

200 choice
    200 choice kick
    200 choice drill
    200 choice kick
    200 choice

4x50 25 EZ / 25 all out

200 warm down (twirly backstroke)

=4200 SCY

I don't know why I bothered to type those intervals, I didn't make them after the first 2 200's. My arms wouldn't go, I couldn't shake the long week, and my dinner kept threatening to come back up. The Tall Guy put his drag suit on, and was going slow to help me pace, but I still couldn't keep up. The IM's were supposed to be on intervals as well, but I decided it was a better night to work on technique.

I'm feeling impatient. I want to be a faster swimmer NOW. The next time I can get in the pool is Sunday, and I'm thinking I should do some short speed stuff, maybe some kicking. I'll have to take some time to search around here for some workout inspiration.

An issue I'm having with that kind of workout (I don't call myself neurotic for nothing) is that I can't stand the idea of driving all the way to the upstate pool and not get the yards in. Somehow I've got to pep talk myself into believing that quality over quantity is a thing. And I'll have to stop using evening swimming as an excuse, because it's the new reality now that I don't get the pool time I used to.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Friday, March 25

by , March 25th, 2011 at 11:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC work, 10 minutes

med ball slams, 3 x 10
    power wheel roll roll outs, 2 x 15
    hanging knee tucks, 2 x 15
    russian twists on incline, 25 x 2 x 25
    nautilus lower back machine, 12 0x 2 x 15
    HS iso lateral hi row, 190 x 3 x 5
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    box jumps, 2 x 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I wanted to go to yoga today as well, but life just got in the way. No stretching this evening either as I was taking Lil Fort and a couple friends to "Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Rodrick Rules." Tomorrow is my off day, but I should have some time in the late afternoon to get to the gym for RC work and stretching.

Mr. Fort is getting up at 5:00 am to run in the National Half Marathon. He's running it with his training partner at marathon pace as a "training run." I think he's insane to get up at the at time for a training run ...

Received my Swimmer Magazine. Though I can understand the appeal of OW swimming in the abstract, I have to agree with the Wookiee -- especially the part about pools being comparatively cleaner. The Potomac River and the Bay are rather disgusting here. But Geek's comment that "if you want to push off concrete repeatedly, do jumping jacks" was pretty funny.

FYI. psych sheet for Y Nat is out. At least on the women's side, it looks slower than usual to me.

http://www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org...ults/realtime/

Updated March 25th, 2011 at 11:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  10. One Day To Go...

by , March 25th, 2011 at 08:24 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    The state meet for Indiana is tomorrow and Sunday. Guess I'll find out if all the work I've done lately in the pool has paid off or not. Of course, having to deal with the side/back muscle pull and then leg cramps this week make me wonder if I'll see improvement or not. I'm trying to simply look at this as a warm-up for Y Nationals that are three weeks away. Guess I'll just do my best and see what happens. For the last workout before the meet, here is what we did:

400 Warm-Up
    4x 50 Drill/Swim on 1:00
    3 x 100 Free on 1:40 (moderate pace - held 1:22s)
    1 x 200 Kick on 4:00
    4 x 25 Kick Fast on :45
    1 x 200 Free Easy
    1 x 200 Free ALL OUT w/ fins - got 2:05
    400 Cool-Down
    13 x 25 Block Starts (worked mainly back starts)
    Total Yards - 2325

Working on my backstroke starts with my coach today was monumentally helpful. I never realized that throwing your arms to the side instead of straight over your head could result in a much more pain-free entry . When we were done working on the starts, I felt much more confident in my backstroke start. Needless to say, however, my back/shoulders were pretty red from my early start attempts. Guess we'll see what happens on Sunday.

As to the meet, here's what I'm swimming (in addiiton to any relays the coach puts me in):

Saturday:
    - 200 Free (goal time is 2:28)
    - 50 Fly (goal time is to go under :33 for the 1st time)
    -100 Fly (goal is to better my 1:19 and not get DQ'd)

Sunday:
    -50 Free (goal is to break :30 for the 1st time)
    -50 Back (goal is to better my :38)
    -100 Free (goal is to go 1:06-low 1:07)

Wish me luck and happy swimming to you!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. DOUBLE FAST Friday Mar 25th, 2011

by , March 25th, 2011 at 05:34 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE FAST Friday Mar 25th, 2011

7 days til Zones & 34 til Nats
    working on: losing some weight, getting stronger in the weight room & faster in the pool.

Zones Entries:
    Fri 1650 fr, 400 IM

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?p=239296#post239296"]Lost Motivation?[/ame]

Tyler Coached
    UT, SCY main pool for swim downs after fast swims
    noon to 1:15
    dove in on around 12:09
    trained beside Darby, James,
    wore FS PRO LEGS

WARM UP
    Board said 15 min choice

Main SET:

assigned 7 x 100 fast best average on 8:00
    did: 5 x 100 fast best ave
    dove off blocks,
    first 50 2 beat kick 2nd 50 6 beat kick, concentrated on pushing off deeper and SDKing went
    1) 54
    2) 53
    3) 53
    4) 53
    5) 53
    6) skip
    7) skip

changed from FS PRO legskin to FS 1 jammer

did 3 x 25 fr fast on about 5:00
    1) ???
    2) 9.9
    3) 9.8

25 easy

tired want to get FASTER
    time to CPP for ZONES

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    Days Till
    Entered:
    Fri 1650 fr, 400 IM

Order of Events
    Days till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. One-sided swimming

I had a nice swim this morning at Riverbank with a couple of swim buddies. The pool was hopping—at one point we three were sharing the lane with four or five others, but they came late and left early. We did complementary workouts—ie same intervals, if not the same swims. My goal today was to get in some sprint work, then get in some easy- to moderate-paced yardage while working on breathing to my left. I didn’t do so well on the left-breathing thing. (Sometimes it seems like I would have an easier time with that if we circle-swam clockwise--does seeing other swimmers' recovering hands, and paddles, so close your face, with no lane rope in between, scare anyone else?)

Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200im)

3 x (6 x 50 @ 1:10ish, :30 rest)
    First round was 25 build FR/ 25 easy
    Second round was FR sprint progression (2 strokes sprint, 4 strokes, etc. up to 12)
    Third round was 5 BK sprint progression + 1 easy

500 FR pace

6 x 100 kick @ :05 rest

3 x 200 FR desc.
    100 easy
    200 pull w/ paddles
    100 easy
    200 IM

200 easy pull w/ paddles
    300 warmdown + play

I wore my red rhinestone goggles during part of this morning’s swim—they’re a little dark for indoors, but I felt like the Elton John of lap swimmers.

There is a meet next weekend at Asphalt Green, one of my home pools, and I am trying to decide if and what I want to swim. The meet is Sat. night (50s and 100s of all 4 strokes) and Sun. morning (200s and all 3 IMs). I know I don’t want to do both sessions, and I would like to swim a workout Saturday morning, since it’s one of my 2 weekly chances to get in a 2-hour lcm session. So I’m leaning towards doing a few events Sunday morning—given that event lineup, with the magic of split requests I can swim pretty much any event I want. I haven’t swum a 100 FL this season yet, so I might do it during the 400 IM (I think that would be easier than doing it as the opening of the 200 FL). I’m hoping that I can convince some other OW swimmers to do the meet then go out to the beach afterwards for an ocean dip.

(I never ever thought I would want to skip doing a meet to not miss training time, but that's where I seem to be at the moment. It's very strange.)

This is clinic weekend for me. Tomorrow afternoon I’m doing a 3-hour 3-stroke clinic with Karlyn P-N that TNYA is sponsoring. Then on Sunday afternoon I’m heading out to Brooklyn with Mr. Addict to do an (erg machine) rowing clinic, together with a college buddy of his. It should all be interesting and fun.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -03/28/11

by , March 25th, 2011 at 02:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Taper/Rest workout
    SCY

WARM UP:
    2 X 250 4:15
    3 X 150 2:15
    4 X 50 faster 1:00

5 X 200 4:00
    100 swim/100 kick

8 X 100 2:00
    Pull free or IM

10 X 25
    odd: build to race finish
    even: blocks-sprint 25

1 X 400 free OR 300 IM
    Focus on great turns and streamlines

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3700/3800Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Friday, 3/25/11

by , March 25th, 2011 at 12:31 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up (1050)
    3 x 100 Free/10sr, With Fins – smooth builds
    200 IM Kick
    3 x 50/1:00 desc
    200 Choice Drill
    - did fist and 1 arm, back & free
    8 x 25/30 Strong
    - IM order

Main Set: (800)
    8 x 75/1:30 VERY Strong Efforts
    - 25 normal swim (B2)/25 (B3)/25 (B4)
    - ave 1:00 on these
    16 x 25/40 FAST – with Fins
    Odds – Dolphin Kick Under Water
    Evens – Swim Choice of stroke
    - alt fly/back/free

Back With Fins (600)
    12 x 50/1:00 strong, 12.5y under water
    - was going 35-37, started with 12 SDK going past mid pool, by the end was at 8 SDK coming up just short of mid pool. Took an extra minute rest after 6 then finished set.

Finish Drills Set (200)
    8 x 25/40
    Back – Fast with strong kickouts
    Fly – Fast with Strong kickouts
    - 1-4 back, 5-8 fly

Cool Down
    5 x 50/1:00 easy free

Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Mar 25 - Friday light (x2)

by , March 25th, 2011 at 11:26 AM (Dan's hobby/obsession)
    Today was kind of a hodge-podge workout dreamed up by one of my MYM teammates. Then the coach showed and decided to add a 500 Time Trial.

I wasn't really sure what today would be, so I decided to wear my square-leg drag suit instead of my normal 2 pairs of jammers. I felt a little sluggish today, so maybe that was why.

200 warm up
    3x200 (fr pull, br (pull 100/swim 100), fly (4x50)) about :30 rest
    5x100 (IM, fr, ba, br, IM) - intervals were 1:45 - 2:00, A little slow, so I tried to swim these "fast", but wasn't really feeling the speed this morning.
    4x50 IM order @ 1:00
    500 "for time" 5:50
    25's from mid point - nail the turn & breakout
    Total 2,100 SCY

Like I said, I was feeling sluggish today, but I was very happy with the 500 time. I swam the 500 at Juanita a few weeks back and only got a 5:44, so 5:50 from a push, sharing a lane with 2 people, and wearing a drag suit was a good time for me. Of course, now I'm feeling a little guilty about the seed time I put for the 500 at PNA zones in a couple weeks, but I'll get over it.

Later:
    I was going to be near another pool around the time of their masters workout, so decided to stop by for their practice. I was hoping for some sprint work from the blocks, but they were just doing some light drillwork - at least I got to use the blocks to work on my backstroke start. It still needs work, but, like my breaststroke, it's not going to get any better if I don't keep trying.

600 warm up
    400 IM drill w/ fins kick/scull/drill/swim by 25's
    3x250 alt. stroke/free by 50 - 2 back, 1 fly
    6x100 pull @ 1:30 - descend 1-3, 4-6
    12 x 50 @ :55 IM order kick/swim by 25
    50 cool down
    + practiced some backstroke starts

3,000 SCY

Updated March 25th, 2011 at 03:35 PM by larsoda (added 2nd workout)

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. FAST Friday Mar 25th, 2011

by , March 25th, 2011 at 10:43 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Friday Mar 25th, 2011

7 days til Zones & 34 til Nats
    For Zones I Entered the:
    Fri 1650 fr, 400 IM
    Not sure If I'm going to really the
    1650, 500 or 1000 but there are no deck entries and I wanted to give myself some options incase I decided to swim them or go for splits. Will probably skip the 1650 to rest up for the 400 IM, we'll see.

Men's Div 1 NCAAs have begun
    GO HORNS! so far they are 1st but Stanfor and Cal are right there. [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=239108&postcount=66"]2011 NCAA RESULTS[/ame]

Lifted Weights before practice today & I'm getting stronger. Plan to lift Sun, Tue, & Thu

Whitney Coached
    UT, SCY main pool and diving well for swim downs after fast swims
    6:30 - 8:00
    dove in on around 6:35ish
    trained beside Chris, Jim, Larry, Marcio, Max, Mike, Nate, Ned, Todd, Tyler,
    wore FS 1 Jammer

WARM UP
    Board said 15 min choice

Main SET:

10 x 100 fast best average on 10 minutes in heats leaving at 0 & 5:00 after
    dove off blocks, did the first 5 50 2 beat kick 50 6 beat kick
    1) 53
    2) 52
    3) 52
    4) 52
    5) 52
    6) skip
    7) 50 changed into FS PRO legskin & wore a cap

did 150 to 200 swim down after each swim

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    Days Till
    Entered:
    Fri 1650 fr, 400 IM

Order of Events
    Days till

Does anyone read my blog to the end?

Updated March 25th, 2011 at 05:21 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Friday, March 25, 2011 5:30am

by , March 25th, 2011 at 10:01 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup: (this is basically my meet warmup too...I don't do too much)
    300 Free
    200 IM Drill

2 x 50 Fly Drill/Fast by 25s

1 x 200 IM FAST from a push went 2:18 (masters best 2:10.30)
    Got in my 200 IM swim that I didn't get to in last night's practice. Felt really good. Going to have a good 400 IM tomorrow at the meet.

50 EZ

4 x dive 12.5s

50 EZ and out
    ------------------
    1000 Yards
  18. MATT Friday Workout

by , March 25th, 2011 at 09:30 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    SCY

400 Warm up

16 x 100 - 1:15 (1:15 rest every 4 100s)
    50 Easy

3 times through
    * 100 Stroke - 1:40
    * 50 Kick/50 Free - 1:30
    * 100 IM - 1:40

7 x 125 - 1:45 (evens optional IM)
    25 easy

200 Cool down

(4050 total)

This was a mix of our "favorite sets". I struggled badly through the 16 100s. Pool heat really got to me today but I haven't been feeling 100% for a while.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Long Course ---Finally ---Friday Flyer!

by , March 25th, 2011 at 08:06 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yeah!!! a Long Course day. My last hard day before taper starts.

1000 Free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1@:10R
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick/50 sprint went 3:27, 3:30, 3:31, 3:25, 3:21
    5x100@2:00 Free sprint (middle 1/3) from the 15 meter mark in to the wall and back out the rest is easy free held 1:43's
    500 Free broken 1,2,3,4@:10R

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:15pm at the Y

by , March 24th, 2011 at 11:56 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Didn't wake up for practice this morning...maybe because I swam the night before. Oh well...at least I'm using my Y membership for admission rather than the cash I was paying out before.

Warmup:
    2 x (100 Free/50 Back)
    300 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill

8 x 25 SDK w/ full fins @ :40 (odds on back, evens on stomach)
    was holding :12-:13 on each one of these, on my stomach stayed underH20 until the "T" at the end, back was about 15 meters underH20

100 Free EZ

Now the plan was to swim a race paced 1/2 distance of each event I am doing this weekend (1000 Free, 400 IM, 200 Breast, 200 Back, 100 Breast, 50 Breast) These were all from a push since there's no diving at the YMCA pool

1 x 500 Free (I cheated and did pull) went 4:48 (I also miscounted and stopped at the 450 OOPS!) Still it was a good swim...would've been 5:20ish. I've been only a 5:17 in a meet this year.

200 EZ

1 x 200 IM - I was out strong, :30 at the fly, feeling great on the back, until near the end of the 50 back...CRAMP in the calf! I just stopped and stretched it out.

200 EZ

1 x 100 Breast - went 1:16 - my masters best w/ dive is a 1:09.2, so from the push this time was pretty good.

200 EZ

1 x 100 Back - 2nd 25...same thing with my other calf...cramp!! That's it...I was done for the day. Not enough hydration in my body...and probably a little overzealous a couple days after being sick for a few days.

200 EZ and out
    ----------------
    ~2600 Yards

Other than the cramping, which I'm not overly concerned about, I feel great in the water. I'm expecting another weekend of fast swims. Inland NW Champs @ Univ. of Idaho - Moscow