View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Monday February 13th...unlucky? maybe not...

by , February 13th, 2012 at 11:53 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Did this nice workout Fort designed today:
    Warm up:

500 choice
    9 x 25 shooters w/fins + 25 EZ @ :40/:45
    -- 3 back, 3 belly, 3 360s
    5 x 50 free w/paddles @ 1:00
    6 x 25 overkick free, no breath @ :40/:45
    50 EZ
    This warm up was more demanding than I anticipated...I began to worry about the next section lol

Speed Sets:
    8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 4 kick, 4 swim
    50 EZ
    I did numbers 3 through 6 with the parachute...

6 x broken AFAP 100s @ 10:00:
    #1-2: 50 (from the blocks if you can) @ :20 rest + 2 x 25 with :10 @ 75
    #3-4: 50 @ :30 rest + 2 x 25 with :15 rest @ 75
    #5-6: 50 @ 1:00 rest + 2 x 25 with : 30 rest @ 75
    On the last two I managed my first ever no breath race pace 50's. I am stoked. The first one was an accident. I was sharing the lane (side by side) and I had my send just a few secs after my lanemate turned. I think going fast and passing him made me focus on getting past quick or tricked my mind into a mental state for racing I was off the wall and coming back before I knew where I was. The urge to breathe only kicked in with 5yards to go so I just held on and did it. The second one was easier. Hopefully I can keep to this in my races at meets.

Total: 3250

Updated February 13th, 2012 at 02:35 PM by SwimStud

2. Sunday Double, Feb. 13

by , February 13th, 2012 at 10:32 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

RC/ankle/scapular/elbow exercises
    kettle ball reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 130 x 3 x 15
    good mornings, 65 1 x 1 8, 75 x 3 x 8
    box squats, 135 x 1 x 5 , 145 x 2 x 5 -- I just prefer the power squat machine; I don't like all that weight resting on my shoulders
    explosive leg press, 270 x 4 x 12
    altitude drops, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    lateral bunny hops, 3 x 15
    standing broad jumps, 2 x 10

I had planned to go to yoga. But Mr. Fort has a running injury (probably from not going slow enough when he's supposed to be going slow ), and our chiro and I persuaded him to try deep water running. A pool is very foreign to him, so I had to drive him there and throw him in. Since it was somewhat less crowded than usual on the weekend, I decided to do a real workout despite just having done weights.

Warm up:

8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    8 x 25 no breather free w/fins @ :35
    50 EZ

Main LP Sets:

24 x 50:

8 x 50 back shooters w/fins best average @ 1:30
    -- coming right after weights, this was the most unspeakably horrible painful set I've done in recent memory
    -- the combo of O2 deprivation and speed on short rest is tough and I probably started out too fast
    -- 22 flat, 22 flat, 23 low, 23 low 23 high, 23 high, 23 high, 23 high
    200 EZ

8 x 50 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ 1:30
    -- went mid to high 26s, a couple 27 flats
    -- this is probably a half second too slow, but a noodler joined my lane after the first 2 and I had do so some single arm strokes and crappy streamlines to avoid collision
    200 EZ

8 x 50 breast w/fins @ 100 pace
    -- went high 29s-30 flats
    200 EZ

Total: 2900

I'm feeling quite righteous having a LT set after weights, so I may just loaf and stretch today. Mondays are typically a light workout day for me anyway since Lil Fort only has a half day of school.

I really should have put my compression tights on last night, but I was rushing out to a rare dinner and movie.

Updated February 13th, 2012 at 03:00 PM by The Fortress

Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. 24 miles behind

by , February 13th, 2012 at 09:50 AM (Nobody Special)
    * My goal was to get to 365 miles swum by the end of the year. As of now I'm 24 miles behind. I jumped out to a good start - was ahead of the game by a few miles before my shoulder injury set in. Once I'm back up to speed I think I should be able to catch back up and make it to my goal by the end of the year. Funny thing - I thought I wasn't going for enough when I originally made it...

*Today's 1600 yd work out:

100 warm up
    3x100 (kickxswimxkickxswim) - 2 m int
    8x25 free w/o fins (40 s int)
    4x50 free w/ fins (1 m int)
    4x50 kick (1 m int)
    2x50 free w/o fins (1 m int)
    2x50 free w/fins (1 m int)
    3x100 (kick/swim/kick/swim) - 2 m int

* I'm slowly starting to drop the fins from portions of the work out. Will try to do a little more with each workout in the future.
  4. LCM today .... yuck

by , February 13th, 2012 at 07:31 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Don't get me wrong i like LCM just not on Monday. That mean we have to get out a 6:40 so they can turn the pool to SCY. I would rather have had the extra time than the long lane.

500 free
    10x(25 shooters +25 EZ)@1:00 w/fins 1-4 belly 5-7 back 8-10 360s
    6x50@1:00 free w/paddles
    6x25@:45 free overkick, 1-2 breaths based on whether a wall or middle pool start

8x25@1:00 burst +cruise. 1-4 kick 5-8 swim

2x broken 100 AFAP@10:00. I did 200 EZ after each
    #1 w/fins went 1:16
    #2 w/paddles & fins went 1:14

That was all i could get done before they turned the pool.

Total 2400 yards
  5. Into the mystic; 6k today...

by , February 12th, 2012 at 11:11 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    ... felt pretty good, had good rhythm, things were just clicking. Love it when that happens!

Like my 6K (6600 SCY) last week, I wanted to do it continuously. But, as it turns out, folks were talkative today at the Kenosha Y. At about 2500, one of our new regular swimmers stopped me to chat about what I might be doing after my swim... it turned into about a 4-minute break, which I wasn't expecting, but, whatever, life intervenes sometimes. BTW, this is what I really had in mind after the swim:

With the exception of that interruption and a couple of other shorter interruptions, I swam the 6K as I did last week in 1K segments of about 20:00 each (1000 free, 100 breast). Last week I finished in a total time of 123 minutes; today I did it in 124 including the 4-minute break and shorter interruptions, so I was swimming much stronger!

I'm not swimming my 200 workout tomorrow--will wait for Tuesday--I'll need a recovery day. Last week's long swim was on Saturday, so now I'm a bit off of my routine (whatever that is!). It's all good though... swim today left me feeling pleasantly fatigued (was that a fog horn?):

"Smell the sea and feel the sky,
    let your soul and spirit fly
    into the mystic
    [...] and magnificently we will float
    into the mystic"

...enjoy a little Van Morrison!

[nomedia=""]Van Morrison - Into The Mystic (Original Version) - YouTube[/nomedia]
  6. Blissy beach swim

It was the ocean, not the pool, that was calling to me today. A couple of chilly days and nights had dropped the water temp by 5 degrees, down to 59 . . . but that was still plenty warm for a little dip. I waited until noontime, when the sun was out in full force and the air temp had warmed up from the high-20s into the mid-40s. There was a gentle breeze from the west, but the water was flat and sparkly, and the sky impossibly blue.

I got undressed quickly once I was got down to the sand. A woman walking by warned me the water was cold as I was getting in—you’d think someone immersed up to her knees might know that already, no? I just agreed with her and waded on in, then swam a few strokes, then waded some more to get over the sandbar before setting off for good. (That second wading bit was a little chilly as the wind hit wet skin!)

The water was absolutely clear, and I watched the play of sunlight and surface ripples as I swam over the white sandy bottom. I didn’t feel at all skittish today, just calm and at peace and a little curious about what I might see as I stroked along. I swam east down to the diagonal staircase at Rosemary Beach, then turned around and headed back—about a mile. I was a little worried that the trip back might be a little more difficult because it was into the wind, but it wasn’t really—both ways seemed fast to me today.

The only sea life I saw was a couple of tiny jellyfish—they were cylindrical and mostly transparent, with just a little cream coloring around their edges and middle. Both were about the length of my thumb. I hovered over them and watched them pulsate along—it was very beautiful. There was also a tuft of neon green feathery grass seemingly growing out of the sand, but I think that might have been a fishing lure.

After I finished my swim I floated for a bit, then stood on the sandbar and appreciated the wide expanse of turquoise all around me. I didn’t want to get out, but the hot tub was calling, so I swam in, parka-ed up, and climbed the staircase over the dunes to find some warmer water. I stayed in the hot tub for about 20 minutes, relaxing and enjoying the sun and the warmth.

I love conditions like today, when the air is very clear and crisp and colder than the water. But I hope this weather pattern doesn’t last too long, if only because morning lap swim at the pool gets cancelled when the weather gets too cold. It’s already been called off for tomorrow, so I’ll have to choose between swimming scy later in the day, or having another beach swim.
  7. Sunday, February 12, 2012 P90X and SCM TTs

by , February 12th, 2012 at 06:49 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    No swimming today...Sunday, no pools within hours of here that are open today.
    My wife has restarted her P90X workouts since our son has returned from his hospital stays, and she's kickin' @ss with them! I decided I'd jump in on the workout with her today...doing Kenpo X DVD today. Basically it's an all-out cardio workout with punches/kicks in various combos, and keeps you moving. I failed after 30 minutes of it, and she's still going strong. & for her! There's definitely a difference between being in swimming shape, and land based aerobics.

And might as's my 2011 SCM Preliminary Rankings. This is the most I've had in one "season". I even got one relay TT.

Men 30-34 SCM (2011)

Place Event Name Age Club LMSC Time
    6 200 Free James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 2:07.25
    6 400 Free James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 4:37.01
    2 800 Free James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 9:26.12
    2 1500 Free James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 17:51.26
    8 200 Back James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 2:29.60
    10 200 Breast James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 2:50.31
    8 100 Fly James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 1:03.29
    5 200 Fly James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 2:20.40
    3 400 IM James A Adams 34 HMS Inland Northwest 5:03.64

Mixed 200-239 SCM (2011)
    Place Event Club LMSC Swimmers (age) Time
    9 800 Free Relay HMS Inland Northwest 14:01.90
    Wayne R Brown (69)
    Carolyn M Magee (66)
    James A Adams (34)
    Teresa L Wendel (59)
  8. Sunday 2/11/12 and SCM Top Tens

by , February 12th, 2012 at 06:08 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam on my own at Baylor Fitness Center, SCM.

400 warm up

4 x 50 rotating sides kick with Speedo fins
    4 x 25 360 shooters with TYR burner fins

16 x 25 burst breakouts with TYR fins
    1st set free
    2nd set fly
    3rd set free
    4th set back

100 easy

various dives off blocks and broad jumps from the wall; worked on traditional start (not track start).

SCM results, not bad if I do say so myself; no big taper meet with just an early season small meet and our local 1 day meet for a cameo 200 fly.

Short Course Meters (Preliminary Listing)
    3 W40-44 50 Free Michelle H Chow 43 DAMM North Texas 27.74
    4 W40-44 50 Back Michelle H Chow 43 DAMM North Texas 33.82
    3 W40-44 100 Back Michelle H Chow 43 DAMM North Texas 1:11.93
    5 W40-44 50 Fly Michelle H Chow 43 DAMM North Texas 31.58
    3 W40-44 100 Fly Michelle H Chow 43 DAMM North Texas 1:10.30
    5 W40-44 200 Fly Michelle H Chow 43 DAMM North Texas 2:48.08
  9. started off strong then i died...

by , February 12th, 2012 at 05:40 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    The first event was the 500 free. I was going to do this as a controlled moderate swim. I was in lane 8 and well behind everyone. At the 400 i had caught up with 2 of the swimmers so i sprinted the last 100 and passed them both! Final time was a 6:30.65 a season best.

Next up the 100 IM. I cranked the fly and the back. Leading from lane 8 but then came breast and i could see the girl next to me move past. I figured everyone else had too but i crank the free and broke 1:20 with a 1:19.84 something i haven't done in years.

The 100 free was pitiful. Just had no steam left.

The 100 fly was slow too. All of these events were done in a 3 hour time span.

I do need to figure out my nutrition at these meets because even with eating bananas and muffins and fruit snacks and gatorade I found i started getting run down on both days.

Nationals should be easier with no more than 2 per day and only 1 on the first 2 days. Yes i am still doing the 1650 but as a warmup and i put in a slow time.
  10. B-DAY SET

For the first time ever, I had three others join me for my birthday swim.
    Since we only had the pool for 2 hours, I tried to come up with something that would fill the time slot and be a good challenge.

I presented Rondi, Ed and Willie a choice of three options:

A) 188 x 25 Fly on :30 (4700 yards)

B) 47 x 150 Free on 2:10 (7050 yards)

C) 47 Rounds of: 75 Free on 1:10; 75 (25 Fl, 25 Bk, 25 Br) on 1:10 (7050 yds)

Option A was flatly rejected by my pool-mates, but I wanted to get some fly in so we went with Option C.

Since everyone except for yours truly was skimping on the stroke stuff, I modified the interval to 1:05 for the Free 75's, and 1:15 for the IM 75's. (If you've ever seen my breaststroke, you know that this was a rather important modification)

I'm thinking maybe 2x 4800 on 60 minutes for next year.....
    (might be solo again)
  11. 02.12.12 - Auburn meet day 1

by , February 12th, 2012 at 07:01 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Having a blast so far! Met Elaine, Swimosaur and a couple other forum people. Can't say enough about how well run the meet is... and how nice the pool is. I'm blessed with some great teammates that got me completely prepared for this weekend. I'm swimming faster than ever and that is mostly due to support from my teammates and others (including forumites) that cheer me on and inspire me to do better. Thanks to all!

Saturday was my big yardage day. Started with the 1650. First one for me and I was incredibly nervous. Still wasn't feeling 100% tapered but better than Friday. Warmup went very well and gave me a lot of confidence turning at the bridge. Seems I might be getting past that mental barrier. We'll see if I crash into it on the 500. Ate a Twix bar about 15 minutes before the start. That would revisit me later. Started in Lane 6 inbetween my teammate (lane 7) and a guy with a low 19 for his seed. Next to him was a mid 17 seeded swimmer. Made a mental note NOT to chase him. Having my teammate next to me was awesome. Dave is a consistent swimmer and a pro at getting everything he can out of his 1650s. I knew I'd be fine sticking with him through the race. The race started out just as we were seeded. I fell behind the low 19 swimmer and inched ahead of Dave. The mid 17 guy was gone. He lapped me about halfway through and again near the end. Settled into a comfy pace and enjoyed the swim for a while. First two 500s were just under 6:00. Picked up the pace for the last 500 and just about 1200 yards in, the Twix bar kicked in. It was not giving me the planned energy. Mostly giving me indigestion. By 1400 yards I was ready to throw up. Convinced myself I could keep it down for another 3 minutes... which fortunately I did. Despite the indigestion, I split my last 500 faster. Not sure how because I sure didn't feel it. Finished in the mid 19s! Dave was right behind me to break 20 for the first time. Great start!

Next up... the 200 fly. Fortunately, there was a long break for the remaining 1650 free swimmers and a warmup session. Despite the rest, I hurt bad. I completely underestimated how much the 1650 would take out of me. Since I was swimming unopposed in my age group, I elected to cruise the 200 fly... which I did for the first 150 yards. Couldn't help myself on the last 50 and let it go a little. It went well though and I didn't die... just hurt a little more. Finished 3 or 4 seconds ahead of my seed time from last year. Very happy about that!

100 Br - Lots of competition in my age group for this event. Lanes 3, 4, and 5 were all in my age group and seeded within a second of each other. Fun race! I had the highest seed time and figured I had to break that by a good bit to have a chance. Beat my time by 3 seconds but was still crushed by the competition next to me .

Final event - 200 Free. Was in the second to last heat which meant I didn't have to swim against the sub-2:00 swimmers. Took off and dropped everyone in my heat. Split first 100 at 1:00 and then died badly. Second 100 was around 1:04. Still 7 seconds faster than last year!

Finished it off with a good medley relay breast stroke leg. I think I was about :33 but haven't seen any official splits yet.

Got some pizza with the team and went back to the hotel and crashed. Feeling rested this morning. Got the 500, 200 Br, 100 Fr, and 50 Br. After yesterdays yardage, it seems like nothing.

Updated February 13th, 2012 at 09:26 AM by pmccoy

12. how did day 1 go......not bad

by , February 11th, 2012 at 10:41 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    My allergies are trying to get in the way, messing up my judgement of where the surface of the water is. Yet i did well overall.

My first event was the 50 fly. My breakout was late, i was already on the surface. I had to take one breath just before the wall. Still managed a 33.75, my best was 33.70. That in my book is right on the money.

My 200 free went really well. This was the best time i have done in the last 2 years 2:26... ? And it felt good for once. This is the race i have never figured out how to do.

The 50 free was ok 29.68. My best this season is only a 29.58 so that is ok too.

The 200 fly was a controlled comfortable swim in 2:13...? Only 1 second off my best time this season. I actually had a race at the end with 2 other people. One beat me and the other one i beat.

Overall with how i was feeling i did well.

Tomorrow I have the 500 free, 100 free, 100 IM, and 100 Fly. Hopefully i my allergies will stay atleast at the same level and not get worse.
  13. Saturday 1600

by , February 11th, 2012 at 05:21 PM (Nobody Special)
    * 100 warm up
    3x100 (kick/swim/kick/swim) 2 m int
    8x50 free (1 m int)
    8x50 kick (1 m int)
    3x100 (kick/swim/kick/swim) 2 m int
    100 warm down

* felt good in the pool. Still wearing fins. Warm ups w/o however.
  14. Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:00am

by , February 11th, 2012 at 04:44 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Woke up early this morning to get in 5 hours of good ol' OT at work. Always helps out. Plus I had to get the one infeed conveyor fixed that brings 1/2 the plant's production into the palletizing room. It was a chore, but got it done in time so that the timeclock wouldn't take a "lunch" out on me (automatic at 5 hours). Best part with getting it done was that I could get over to the pool for some "relaxation".

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:25
    3 x 100 Free @ 1:20
    2 x 100 Free @ 1:15
    1 x 100 Free @ under 1:10

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:46-:48s)

10 x 100 Free Pull @ ~1:20 (held 1:05-1:07s)
    interrupted by a to share a lane that I was already hugging the one side of the lane anyway. I usually do that anyway at the Y, knowing their swimmer's tendancies to want to split lanes.

10 x 100 IM @ 1:30 (1:15-1:18s)
    During the middle of this, another woman asked if I minded sharing the lane with her. I didn't mind, but she might... I was nice, and did one arm fly as I went by her.

2:00 rest

Moved to another lane to do (didn't want to swamp my lanemate):
    1 x 200 IM AFAP (went 2:21) that's worth 2 bananas! Best time in a meet 2:08...not bad.

100 EZ and out

4300 Yards

Much better practice today vs. last night's swim.

***I really hate how people at the Y don't know how to share lanes correctly. Why do people feel they are entitled to not circle swimming even though many people keep coming out on deck to swim? I took charge in a way and moved myself and the fastest 2 other people into one lane for a while, and let the others fend for themselves. Better doing that than trying to do 100s with an 80-something female, and a 40ish male swimming twice her speed, yet still less than 1/2 my speed.
    I did plenty of lane hopping today, and everywhere I went it seemed that someone not suited to swimming laps kept wanting to swim with me.

For the most part things are usually okay, but some days, people just seem to come out of the woodwork and flock to the pool in bunches! Maybe it's the monthly bath time for the...
  15. Update / dad in hospital

by , February 11th, 2012 at 03:52 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Swam thu & fri
    Did not swim today

Right now I'm in Plano

My Dad is in the neuroscience ICU here

Thursday he & mom were in Denison, TX visiting my sister Elise, who just had surgery, then after dinner in their hotel room he said his arms hurt then he fainted, mom called 911
    He went to Denison hospital then transferred to Plano because they have a neuroscience ICU

i arrived Fri & I spoke with him for a few minutes, he wasn't real coherent.

Then docs just did an angiogram, they said he had a brain bleed in his subarachnoid brain layer
    They couldn't find the cause which is great, the doc said odds go way down when there's an aneurysm but he'll be here for a week
    Think they're going to monitor him

Then he'll need rehab

Might not be able to drive

Today he's transferring out of ICU to a regular room.

Just realized I forgot to enter the hr swim.
    Swim Workouts
  16. Not open water season in Madison...

by , February 11th, 2012 at 12:05 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    Well, I've spent the last couple of days in Madison (chaperoning for my oldest, who's doing National Honor Choir) and have managed to get in a couple of swims here--though not open water! This is what Lake Monona looked like this afternoon around 5:30 (click on the thumbnail to enlarge):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lake_monona.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	6795

It's hard to imagine that this was the site of USMS 2.4-mile OW championship last August (my first USMS-sanctioned OW swim!). What a difference 6 months makes! Yesterday there were actually some folks out on the ice; today I think it was too cold.

Needless to say, I found the YMCA--only a few minutes by car from where I took this photo. Yesterday I swam 2k (2200 SCY), mixing in some speed work: 750 warm-up, 10 x 100 (first 3 reps in under 1:24; then I realized I better back off and hit the rest in 1:30-1:33--wasn't supposed to be a hard day), 150 breast, 300 cool-down w/ EZ free and kick drills (no board). Today, I wanted to swim a little longer, because I might not get in a swim tomorrow, so here's what I did:

400 free (moderate)
    100 free (easy)
    400 free (moderate)
    100 free (easy)
    100 breast
    1000 free (alternated 100 moderate/100 easy)
    100 breast
    [this first 2K was continuous, no rest, in about 39 minutes]
    10 x 100 on 2:00 (50 ez-moderate/50 moderate-hard)
    100 breast
    200 kick drills
    = 3500 SCY/65 minutes

I was a little sore from yesterday and the rest of the week, so the first 1000 was tough--once I warmed up I was fine, maybe a little tired.
  17. Friday, February 10, 2012 5:30pm

by , February 10th, 2012 at 10:22 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)

200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill
    6 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00

5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20
    I was so sluggish doing these...I knew right here this wasn't going to be a good day...

TJRPATT gave me this one to do, but I modified it a little since I was feeling like crap:
    His set:
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:15
    4 x 200 Free @ 2:35
    4 x 300 Free @ 3:45
    4 x 50 Fly @ 1:00 (must be :32 or under)
    I did:
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (1:10-1:13)
    1:00 rest
    4 x 150 Free @ 2:00 (1:45-1:49)
    4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00

100 Free
    2800 Yards

Other news:
    The Brute Squad results have finally been posted online from the event that was done in Nov-Dec. 2011.

I ended up being the first place 30-34 male in the event, and haven't yet received my t-shirt in the mail, but soon it'll come...if the mailman get's past the bear's cave and wolves' den up and over the mountains. Our LMSC also won the overall points scoring for the Club competition.
  18. Friday 2/10/12

by , February 10th, 2012 at 05:49 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Warm up:

600 choice
    4 x 25 V sit scull
    4 x 25 power kick + cruise
    4 x 25 360 shooters w/fins
    50 EZ

Main Set:

4 x 75 DPS free @ :30 RI
    4 x 25 no breath free @ :45
    1 x 25 fast free @ :45
    25 EZ

4 x 75 DPS backstroke @ :30 RI
    4 x 25 DPK shooters w/fins @ :40-:45
    2 x 25 fast back w/fins @ :45
    50 EZ

4 x 75 DPS breast @ :30 RI
    4 x 25 breast, long pullouts @ :40
    3 x 25 fast breast @ :45
    75 EZ

4 x 75 fly w/fins or fly drill @ :30 RI
    4 x 25 easy speed fly @ :45
    4 x 25 fast fly @ :45
    100 EZ

Total: 3050

The only modification I made was wearing Fins for the whole Backstroke set. I did enjoy this one...not too keen on fly with fins but I think it helped me when I took them off and tried to go easy fly pace.
  19. Friday, Feb. 10

by , February 10th, 2012 at 04:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Warm up:

600 various
    5 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:00
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    6 x 25 over kick free, no breath @ :40ish
    50 EZ

Speed/LP Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 4 dolphin kick, 4 swim
    50 EZ

Then, I did a Rich Abrahams set:

6 x broken AFAP 100s @ 10:00:

#1-2: 50 @ :20 rest + 2 x 25 with :10 @ 75

#3-4: 50 @ :30 rest + 2 x 25 with :15 rest @ 75

#5-6: 50 @ 1:00 rest + 2 x 25 with : 30 rest @ 75

Swim 200 very easy after each effort.

1 = IM, :50
    2 = IM, :50
    3 = fly, :45 mid
    4 = breast, :55
    5 = fly, :45 flat
    6 = fly, :44 flat

Total: 3300

ART, 30 minutes:

My chiro worked on my elbows and left side shoulder/scapular area. He said the elbows felt better. They feel much better to me as well, though I can tell they're not healed. And it's possible the cortisone shot in the right elbow is disguising some of the underlying tendinopathy. So I still won't lift until after my next doctor's appt. Even then, I'm not sure it's worth re-starting in mid- March with the April champs meets in sight. Maybe just enough to avoid shoulder pain.

This was the most rest I've ever taken on a set of all out 100s. Even I was a little impatient on the first couple, but thereafter I enjoyed the rest. 350 yards of AFAP fly is quite a bit for me. My legs were pretty fried by the end, and I actually felt the Wednesday night weights right from the start. I'm pretty tired after that effort, and looking forward to my day off tomorrow. And looking forward to not doing rehab exercises today since I went to ART.

Preliminary SCM TT rankings are out:

Definitely my best season ever. I was faster than 2010 in every event except 100 fly, despite not having the greatest summer/fall of training and doing zilch aerobic work.

Place Event Name Age Club LMSC Time
    1 W50-54 50 Free Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 28.53
    1 W50-54 50 Back Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 30.58
    1 W50-54 100 Back Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:09.25
    1 W50-54 50 Breast Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 38.22
    1 W50-54 50 Fly Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 30.35
    2 W50-54 100 Fly Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:11.30
    1 W50-54 100 IM Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:11.99

GMUP's 200 mixed medley relay was #2 -- not bad for a small team!

Updated February 10th, 2012 at 08:11 PM by The Fortress

Swim Workouts , ART
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/13/12

by , February 10th, 2012 at 03:49 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:20 3:00
    1 X 300 5:00 4:30
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

10 X 100 free 1:50
    #3-6-9 are fast #10 is easy

1 X 200 kick 4:15
    8 X 50 kick 1:00
    1 X 100 swim -

6 X 150 2:50
    100 stroke(choice)/50 free

6 X 200 free
    3 on 2:50
    3 on 2:40
    Descend both groups 1-3

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00