View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Speed work 2/20/12

by , February 20th, 2012 at 01:51 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Did one of Forts today...I am disputing her yardage but I guess I could be misreading.
    I did not like this one so much but I put that down to me being sick last week and my energy systems being a bit blah still. Will try again soon.

Warm up/Transition:

400 choice
    5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50/:55/1:00
    5 x 50 kick @ :55/1:00/1:10
    6 x 25 no breath free w/fins @ :35/:40
    50 EZ
    6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

Speed Set:

2 x through:

8 x 25 @ :40/:45
    1 x 100 fast free
    200 EZ
    Did both as FR

6 x 25 @ :40/:45
    1 x 100 fast choice stroke broken @ 50 & 75 for :15
    200 EZ
    Did as FL on the 100.

4 x 25 @ :40/:45 with chute
    1 x AFAP 50 choice BR
    100 EZ FR

2 x 25 @ :35/:40
    1 x broken AFAP 50, :15 rest @ 25
    100 EZ
    Did all shooters with fins...this was when I realized I had done it wrong.

Round 1: 25s = easy speed/perfect technique --fly(8)/back(6)/breast(4)/free(2)
    Round 2: 25s = shooters w/fins
    Use fins on one or both rounds

Total: 3350
    I counted 4100 as written but I didn't have that much time would have taken me 2 hrs nearly. I only did the 8x25, 100 fast, 200 EZ part twice, which I think was wrong (but I only figured it out at the end) this took my total to 3200.

Updated February 20th, 2012 at 02:33 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. SArasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/21/12

by , February 20th, 2012 at 01:30 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:20 3:00
    2 X 100 1:40 1:30
    1 X 250 4:10 3:45
    5 X 50 :50 :45
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:10
    8 X 25-half blast kick/half swim- :40
    1 X 75 easy swim

2 X 50-build to fast- 1:00
    4 X 25 sprint :40
    Four rounds.
    First 25 of each round from the blocks.

1 X 50 easy
    2 X 50 blocks @ 100%
    1 X 75 easy

1 X 500 free 6:40
    5 X 100 free 1:20
    10 X 50 free :40

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. New Age Group!!!

by , February 20th, 2012 at 01:09 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I guess it's time to start over with the personal bests since I am starting in a new age group today. Although I am still hopeful that some of my times will continue to improve over the next few years as I continue to improve my technique.

I celebrated my birthday by going cross country skiing on Saturday and while doing so fell and jammed my shoulder. It's still a bit sore and I haven't swam since, but I'm hopefull that I did no serious damage and will be training at full speed again in a few days. Will focus on kicking untill then.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday 02/20/12

by , February 20th, 2012 at 10:13 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    500 back/free
    500 pull 50 hard/50 mod
    8 x 100 stroke/free on 1:45 (actually only did 7, goggle problems)
    100 easy
    16 x 50 (70-80-90-90% by 4's) on 1:00
    100 easy
    400 kick w/zoomers
    500 pull no paddles moderate
    2 x 100 pull w/paddles on 1:40 @ 80% (did 1:21/22)
    100 easy

Total: 3900 LCM

Happy that Coach is having us do a bit more speed work - in preparation for the kids Senior Champs & JO meets coming up. This will benefit me greatly, as my "championship" meet is 2 weeks after the JO's, or 5 weeks from now. I'll be having my first surgery less than a week later.
    Did quite a bit of reading yesterday - and listening - to Bill Boomer talking about training cats & dogs - very enlightening! I also looked at Dave Salo's training ideas, and even found a pdf of one of his books - about 100 pages long, that includes about 16 actual workouts. Interestingly enough, he feels that swimmers only need one workout a day, and no more than 4000 yds or meters for that workout - but the workouts are seriously intense - I'm thinking intense like Fortress' workouts. I'm very impressed by him, and surely do wish that my son had the opportunity to train with him when he was in high school - I am positive (hindsight is so 20/20 isn't it?) that he is a cat who has been trained like a dog - and so little of the time spent is quality. Also, according to Boomer - the neurological component has been totally ignored during my son's training - I know it was for mine, but I am old, and these ideas are relatively new. I know that I am a dog (probably in more ways than one!!) - but I still need to learn how to go fast when necessary - hence the attention to neuro components - which I am going to explore! I may not ever be able to duplicate my 4:20 something 400m free again, but I should definitely be able to at least improve upon what I am doing now!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 02.20.12 - Monday workout

by , February 20th, 2012 at 09:40 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam with Roger, Dave and Dave. Wore my Nike jammer. Pool temp ~83.

SCY

400 Warm up

2 Times through
    * 25 Fly - :30
    * 25 Free - :30
    * 50 Fly - 1:00
    * 50 Free - 1:30
    * 400 IM (5:35, 5:40)
    * 50 Easy
    * 200 IM - 3:30 (125 Fly/25 Bk/25 Br/25 Fr)
    * 300 IM - 5:30 (150 Fly/50 Bk/50 Br/50 Fr)
    * 175 Fly - 3:00
    * 175 Free - 2:30
    * 50 Easy

10 x 50 - :45 (#1/2 and #6/7 we did 75 fly/25 free)
    200 Easy fly

50 Cool down

(4150 Total)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. short one today

by , February 20th, 2012 at 08:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My usual pool was closed so I had to swim at the Y which opened late so I only got 45 minutes in. But that is better than nothing at all. I will probably try the entire workout again on Wednesday before I go to Disney.

400 free
    5x50@:50 free w/paddles
    5x50@1:00 free kick w/ zoomers
    6x25@:45 free no breaths but I had to take 1 per 25
    50 EZ
    6x25@:45 brust + cruise
    50 EZ

8x25@:45 Fly w/fins easy speed. I am actually finding the large fins disrupt my rhythm I may need to try the zoomers
    100 free w/fins AFAP went 1:03
    200 EZ w/fins
    200 kick easy w/fins

Total 2000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sunday, February 19, 2012 Lake Washington Meet Results

by , February 19th, 2012 at 11:37 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This morning started off extra early like most swim meets I have to drive to. Only this morning I had to get on the internet to check the pass reports to see if it was even going to happen today. The Cascade Mountains were getting dumped on with feet of snow over the past few days, and they were have a few issues up there as well. Luckily the pass further north (and the shortest route for me) was open with snow tires required...not a problem. Off to the meet!

400 IM - 4:33.65 Masters best time by 1.5 seconds!!
    27.13 / 31.67 (58.80)
    37.48 / 36.38 (1:14.06) <-- as you can tell I need to work on this part
    39.33 / 40.12 (1:19.45)
    31.31 / 29.93 (1:01.24)

Honestly I felt miserable before this race today. Probably from the 3+ hours in the car, and possibly the heat in the pool area as well felt a little warm (and stuffy). I just couldn't fully relax prior to the race, but still ended up doing great!!
    I have approx 4 seconds to drop for the age group record with a shave and taper at the end of March for the LMSC champs meet. Should be doable...now where should I take the 4 seconds? Easy answer is 1 sec. per stroke.

100 Fly - 57.29 - anything in the low 57 range is good enough for me
    26.88 / 30.41
    I had a great race with That Guy in this one, though I didn't know it till after the race. We basically were the same throughout the race, with him beating me by 0.04. (and his 50 Fly event later was AMAZING!!)
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw390EpetN4"]2-19-12 - Kirkland, WA - 100 Fly - YouTube[/nomedia]

100 Free - 53.52
    25.55 / 27.97
    Let this be the last time I swim this for a while (besides Canadian Nats since I'm already entered)
    The 100 Free officially sucks! I'd rather do the 200 Free any day over the 100 Free if I had the choice.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMmNaB1Itrs"]2-19-12 - Kirkland, WA - 100 Free - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Back - 2:18.09
    31.70 / 35.19 / 36.07 / 35.13
    My start tells the story that you don't need to have a good start to be able to swim backstroke. Just SDK like crazy and you can beat them all! The rest of the 200 Back is BLAH.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAJkagwn0M"]2-19-12 - Kirkland, WA - 200 Back - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Fly - 2:07.67
    I didn't wait around for splits, but TG said I was out in a 1:00, so 1:00ish / 1:07ish.
    Not bad, actually felt pretty good. All of my 200 Flys have been consistent lately holding in the 2:07 range +- a second or so.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu_8g1ZO5qk"]2-19-12 - Kirkland, WA - 200 Fly - YouTube[/nomedia]

=================================

Afterwards I went out for my "WINNER WINNER STEAK DINNER" with my daughter. Problem is, the place the I was planning to go, didn't have any steaks on the menu today!! Oh well. I instead went to SubWay and got my Big Philly Cheesesteak sub with all the fixin's. It was very good, and at least got me satisfied.

===========================

Triple Bonus:

After all my other success today, I was able to win a speeding ticket from a friendly state patrol officer too!

Updated February 19th, 2012 at 11:45 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  8. Back in the pool!

by , February 19th, 2012 at 06:51 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    After missing four days straight (the first time I've missed that many days in a row since last spring!), I finally managed to get back into the pool today. It was very crowded, but every Sunday afternoon is, which is why I normally try to go Sunday mornings to do my long swim. I also needed a little catch-up sleep; so I had a leisurely Sunday morning, to say the least.

I did 3600, pretty easy; could've done more, but I decided I would save it for a big workout tomorrow and try to get in consistently every day this week. After two weeks in a row with 6K long swims on the weekend I think my body needed a "step-back" week anyway (which is what we used to call it in marathon training).

Work has been a little overwhelming the last few weeks and I was really missing the pool on Wednesday-Saturday; but with deadlines looming I spent most of my days and nights hunched over the computer... only able to get my swimming fix vicariously through the USMS blogs and forums for a few minutes here and a few minutes there.

By Saturday, though, the lack of sleep, the long hours alternating between writing, teaching, meetings, and grading were starting to take their toll; it's like my brain was slowing down... processing speed impeded by running to many applications at once! And I hadn't gotten my accustomed exercise. I really started to notice it toward the end of an otherwise very nice conference on Saturday afternoon in Dekalb, IL. Enjoyed my time there enough, learned a lot, but the two-hour drive back was a torment. I had to stop every 45 minutes or so just to stay awake.

Feeling much better today after a couple of miles in the pool and a full-night's sleep!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Sunday, Feb. 13

by , February 19th, 2012 at 05:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises (25 min)
    explosive leg press, 270 x 4-5 x 15
    seated row negatives, 50 x 3 x 15
    overhead squats w/bar, 45 x 2 x 15, 55 x 1 x 15
    leg extensions, 130 x 4 x 7
    wide grip lat pulldowns, 50 x 3 x 20
    good mornings, 85 x 4 x 8
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10

Swim/SCM/Solo:

1500 meters easy in gym pool

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rushed out of the pool to go to Lil Fort's swim meet and it was cancelled. Power outage. Oh well, probably needed an easy swim anyway. I can tell I am in need of a recovery week. But I'll have to wait another week.
  10. Rain and Dolphins and Hot Tubs

It’s been a week of grey overcast mornings at the PCB pool—we seem to be stuck in a warm cloudy weather pattern. On Thursday I was looking forward to swimming in pouring rain—and managed to get in all of 30 meters before a lightning flash cleared the pool. I swam back to the end of the pool, for a total of 60m that day. Yesterday I had better luck—there were just a few drizzles in the middle of my swim. I had a nice lc workout—mostly solo, but with some company for one set. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200d/s)

4 x 150 k/d/s, rev. IM order, emphasize legs on all and build swim

8 x 150 fr/bk/fr @ 2:45, keeping swims under 2:30 [this was challenging but I managed]

10 x 100 FR @ 2:00, 3 x (desc. 1-3) + 1 easy [I joined swim buddies Bill and John for this set—we took an extra minute after #6 to regroup. I went 37/36/34 on the easys and 28/28/25 on the fasts. I was pleased with this—now that I’m comfortable swimming a full workout’s worth of yardage again I’ve been doing more sets with the clock this week. It hasn’t been pretty--I was working hard to go 1:40s a few days ago. So I was pleased to be faster while feeling relaxed on the front of the descends in this set. I’ve been struggling to stay optimistic about my swimming as I work to get back in shape, and was relieved to be feeling more like myself in the water today.]

200 rev. IM kick

500 pull with paddles

500 warmdown + play

I had another ART session yesterday afternoon, and the pain and numbness in my left arm is definitely getting better. It feels fine when I swim, and is worst when I wake up in the mornings or lounge around too much. That’s definitely an incentive to keep exercising!

Earlier this morning I watched about a dozen dolphins or porpoises frolicking around in the gulf—they were bobbing around and occasionally leaping out, but generally stayed roughly in one place for about half an hour before moving on. They were just a little further out than I usually swim. I also saw a ray or a skate in the shallower water when I was wading in it while walking on the beach. I’m about 95 percent sure it was an actual animal, not a ziplock bag like last time. It was shy and wouldn’t let me get very close to it, and only a bit bigger than my hand, with a long tail. It was tan, a little darker than the sand.

At lunchtime, about an hour after seeing the dolphins I went for a pre-storm swim in the gulf. The gulf is back up to 61 now, and the gathering wind was beginning to stir up some nice swells. The water was a dull green under the leaden sky, and since it was low tide I waded out to the sandbar and over it before diving into the waves. We don’t often get nice big rolling waves here, but by swimming just to the far side of the first sandbar, just before the point where the waves were breaking, I was able to find some fun water to swim in. I did my usual mile course, watching the sandy bottom getting closer and receding as the water carried me up and down. No dolphins approached me, which was both a relief and a little disappointing. Afterwards I hit the hot tub before heading in—I’m going to be thoroughly spoiled by the time I leave here. The whole post-swim-shivering-on-the-cold-beach routine will come as a shock when I next swim at Brighton.

Now we’re watching the storm blow in over the gulf. Have candles if necessary. It should be a show!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Recovery Day YEAH!

by , February 18th, 2012 at 03:17 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Recovery Day an boy to I need it.

500 choice warm up

1 x 200 DPS free w/paddles, no breathing in or out of turns
    4 x 25 fly drill @ :40
    4 x 25 easy speed fly perfect technique @ :40
    felt really good on these
    4 x 25 shooter on belly @ :40

1 x 200 DPS free w/paddles
    4 x 25 backstroke drill @ :40
    4 x 25 backstroke perfect technique @ :40 felt fast
    4 x 25 shooter on back @ :40

4 x 25 breast drill @ :40
    4 x 25 breast perfect technique @ :40
    4 x 25 2 breast pullouts UW @ :40

4 x 25 free drill @ :40
    4 x 25 free, perfect technique, 1 breath @ :40
    4 x 25 flutter kick shooters w/zoomers @ :40
    found it hard to do flutter kick instead of dolphin off the walls, I guess dolphin kick has become a habit now. YEAH!

100 EZ
    500 Free kick w/zoomers

Total: 3100 yards

I will be doing weight lifting tonight or tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Workout 02/18/12: Could we with ink the ocean fill

by , February 18th, 2012 at 02:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    - 200 FR/200 Bk, 150 IM drill
    - 6 x 50 FR drill
    --- 2 each catch-up, splash back, thumb drag

Down the ladder (team did lower yardage):
    - 400 (did IM)
    - 4 x 100 FR on 1:30
    - 300 FR pull with buoy
    - 4 x 75 IM (no free) on 1:15
    - 200 FR
    - 4 x 50 FR on :45

4 x 75 IM (Indiana IM)

10 minutes Kick Wars
    - Suggested by Carrie the other night: set up cones on deck 5 yards apart, and swimmers start in the middle of cones and play "tug of war" by kicking their opponents past the cone. I wanted to do this 10 yards apart, but the team protested. This is a fun thing and usually the ladies find that they are stronger at kicking than the guys. We had 5 people, so two rows and the "loser" on the far side became the ref as the winner from the near side moved to face the winner on the far side

-Finished off with a Noah's Ark Pull w/ buoy with Kevin after everyone else left. (6:11)
    (BAM masters practice/Rec/3450yds/90 min)
    --------------

I went to a pancake breakfast this morning after seeing on facebook that it was happening at the Capstone Baptist Church in North Bennington - proceeds to help with the juniors and seniors at my son's school mission trip to Guatemala next month. I used to eat like a horse for breakfast, but can't seem to anymore these days. Despite that, I wolfed down a stack of pancakes with real Vermont maple syrup before heading to the team practice this morning.

Ended up being 8 people there today, but I was the only one in swimming the higher yardage workout. Since the 400 was first, I decided to do it IM and hit the following splits: 1:06.62, 1:18.97, 1:42.50, 1:11.00. Total was 5:20.29, which is 7 seconds faster than a couple of weeks ago - you can check my progress here. I was really starved for air on the backstroke, so I need to keep working on breath control, as it lead to poor pullouts on the breast. Room to keep improving ...

The kick wars was fun, and would have been better if we had a farther distance to go. I just grabbed some cones from the garage before heading to practice and set it up - the team was pooped after practice and was not all to interested in really going for it. Oh well, fun idea that you should try with your club. Any other fun ideas that you can share from your team workouts?

Not too much to report for the rest of the day. I volunteered for laundry duty so I will be rocking the clean clothes until going to my daughter's Cabaret tonight with my wife. I heard the song that I referenced above shuffle through my swimp3's today during the Ark, The Love of God. We sang it in church a last summer from the hymnal, and I realized that MercyMe covered it. The story goes that the last verse was penciled on the wall of a narrow room in an insane asylum by a man said to have been demented, and they found the words when they laid him in his coffin, but that article actually points out something even more amazing You can check it out if you'd like.

Updated February 18th, 2012 at 03:52 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 400 im, kick wars
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. 2/18/12

10 min. choice
    --I was talking too much and only got in 500

3 x through
    3 x 100 kick @ 90% r/5
    3 x 25 shooters @ 50
    3 x 75 @ 1:30
    --(kick,rt arm only,lft arm only)
    100 vertical kicks w/10lb. above head
    --this made me sink
    rest 30 and repeat

2 x through
    20 kicks with arms extended on wall
    flip and do 8 sdk
    flip and sprint back to wall
    right into
    500 (150 stroke,350 free)
    rest about 30
    2 x 100 @ 3:30 AFAP
    rest about 1 min. and repeat

100 w/d

I had NO legs left for the sprints at the end but I guess that was the purpose of the kick set earlier. Not too bad today with some different things which always keeps practice interesting. Time to hang with the family.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 02.18.12 - Saturday workout

by , February 18th, 2012 at 10:04 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at HSA with Dave, Dave, Mary, Dan, Bob and a couple others. Pool ~82 with hot and cool spots. Wore my Nike jammer. Didn't do much with the intervals. It was kind of "last in +15". I was getting lots of rest so I tried to keep the speed up a bit but I didn't pay much attention to my times.

SCY

400 Warm up
    300 Kick
    300 Pull

200 Kick
    100 Fr (neg split)
    400 IM down/Free back
    100 Fr (neg split)
    200 Kick

200 Pull
    200 Free (neg split)
    400 Free
    100 Fly/100 Free
    200 Pull

100 Pull
    200 Pull
    200 IM
    400 Free
    200 IM
    200 Pull
    100 Pull

200 Cool down

(4600 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday, February 17, 2012 5:00am & 5:30pm

by , February 17th, 2012 at 11:26 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A.M. Workout:

Didn't have many plans for kicking my butt this morning, especially with the meet coming up on Sunday.

2 Rounds of:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

10 x 50 Dolphin Kick on back w/ Speedo Biofuse training fins @ 1:00 (:32-:35s)
    These fins are weighted quite a bit, so they make you really work when you kick!!

4 x 125 Free Pull @ 1:35 (1:25-1:28s)

100 EZ and out

-------------------------
    2100 Yards

===============================

P.M. Workout:

About the same on the yardage and intensity. Just wanted to get in a little more pool time since I probably won't swim on Saturday due to work stuff.

Warmup:
    500 Free (started building intensity after the 200)
    200 Kick w/ board
    300 Free Pull

800 IM
    • Fly (150 1 arm drill, 50 Fast Fly)
    • Back (100 cruise, 50 build, 50 Fast)
    • Breast (150 cruise, 50 build)
    • Free (50 Cruise, 50 Get up to speed, 100 Bring it like a champ!)
    4 x 50 Free cruise @ :45

---------------------------

2000 Yards

4100 for the day

I feel pretty good going into this weekend's meet in Kirkland, WA. I'm still going to figure out which set of mountain passes to use going over and back, partially depends on the weather, and the return trip is going to be decided by my stomach. I've got a craving for a huge steak dinner from a small place in the town of Sultan, WA, which is just on the western side of Stevens Pass, just before you head into the mountains.
  16. Workout 02/17/12 pm: drop it at a higher level

by , February 17th, 2012 at 10:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I tried! Took an LT set from qbrain and slightly modified it for a workout tonight:

w/u: 200 FR/150 Back

go five times through:
    - Broken 100 AFAP (rest :15 at 50 and 75)
    - Ez 100 back
    - When the clock hits 5 minutes, repeat

I did:
    FR: 28.09, 13.75, 13.12 = 55.36
    FR: 26.38, 13.57, 13.50 = 54.25
    FR: 26.81, 13.75, 13.37 = 55.13
    BK: 30.57, 15.19, 14.63 = 1:01.19
    FR: 27.19, 13.37, 12.75 = 54:11

150 loosen and out
    (solo/Rec/1500yds/40 minutes)
    (total for day = 4,450 yds)
    --------------------

qbrain did this lactate tolerance set of 6 on 6 minutes, but I had less than 40 minutes total and decided to drop the time down to get in 5. I felt zapped after the first one! haha I think that I would have rather benefited from the extra rest, so I have to remember to take it next time.

I will put a link to these types of sets under my blog category sidebar if you want to check them out (I copy the likes of q, fort, and rich a). It is interesting that the age group team doesn't do stuff like this (they didn't when I was a kid either) - wonder if there are disadvantages for the kidos.

I have been thinking about doing these types of sets more, and I get nervous about them, but I can't help but think that they do a great job of preparing the mind and body for race efforts. I played with two mentalities for the frees: odd ones focus on high turnover, whereas on the even ones speed up the tempo but not flail about. I can see that I need to work to control my stroke more when sprinting from the times. Jim T. posed the question last week and I have been thinking about it.

I am a little disappointed in the back, but I have still been frustrated with body placement and finishing my pull with good hip rotation. I think that if I had done the back earlier on in the set them time might have been faster. Oh well - I have put up better times in practice recently so I will excuse myself on the grounds of recovering from my hperglycemic episode yesterday (and today).

I had a good time at my nephew's birthday, complete with pizza, cake and ice cream. I think I have satisfied my sweet tooth for a while. Off to bed soon - team practice tomorrow morning (at least I can sleep in until 9:30 am). Should sleep well tonight!

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 11:19 PM by rxleakem

Tags: lt 100's
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , LT sets
  17. 7 yo daughter joining me on my run

by , February 17th, 2012 at 10:23 PM (Nobody Special)
    * Yesterday my 7 yo daughter rode a bike w/o training wheels for the first time. Today she rode with me on my mile run. Pretty cool!

* Back in the pool this morning for an 1800 yard workout:

100 warm up
    2x100 free (w/fins) 2 m int
    4x50 free (w/o fins) 1 m int

2x100 free (w/fins) 2 m int
    2x50 free (w/o fins) 1 m int
    1x100 free (w/fins)

16x25 free (w/o fins) 30 s int

4x100 (kick/swim/kick/swim - w/fins) 2 m int

100 warm down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Friday, Feb. 17

by , February 17th, 2012 at 10:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Mostly Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

400 various
    Speedo chat break, which we should have done in the hot tub in retrospect
    200 back/kick

10 x 25 shooters on back w/fins

5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ whatever
    75 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ) @ 5:00
    1 = fly, 23 low
    2 = fly-back, 23 mid
    3 = back-breast, 26 high-27 flat
    4 = breast-free, 25
    5 = fly, 23 mid

5 x 50 w/stretch cordz @ 2:00
    25 resisted free w/paddles + 25 assisted speed
    125 EZ

Total: 2650

ART, 30 minutes:

Got my scapular area and shoulder worked on again. I think after lots of rehab exercises and some body work, it's starting to feel better.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Felt kinda sluggish in the water today. I think I'm not fully recovered from that deep tissue massage yet. Still, times were solid considering.

Went to GMU for the VA AAA HS Champsafter ART. Lots of fast swimming. Very peculiar incident. The 2 top boys in the 100 fly were DQ'd for flinching on the start. One DQ was reversed by the head ref. However, it was his son and the other DQ stood. That sounds dicey indeed. Teen Fort is just swimming relays. Happily, her medley relay went faster even after kicking off their fast freestyler who loafed at Regionals. She is swimming tomorrow and then heading up to Boston for a couple days. She was supposed to erg in the Crash Sprints with some teammates, but hasn't been erging due to a cortisone injection in the knee. But she does have unofficial visits with two college coaches.

I am having a day of exasperation with my I can run anywhere husband. To my consternation, he announced today that he simply must go on vacation the first week of April, to a location with no real pool. Huh. My April meets have been on the calendar forever. Naturally, I had to remind him that I wrecked havoc on my past two long course seasons due to long family vacations. And last April I missed Zones for the Boston marathon and didn't do a SCY taper. How quickly they forget! Round 1: Fortress. The facts are clearly on my side.

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 10:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  19. Feeling Colorful Today 2/17/12

by , February 17th, 2012 at 09:42 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Today was actually a compilation of two workouts - swam at 5:30 w/ATAC & then again at lunch for some more "sprint" work
    600 back free
    500 pull
    400 drill/stroke by 25
    4 x 100 kick on 2:00 w/zoomers
    16 x 50 - swam like broken 200's - 1 & 3 were free on 1:00, 2 & 4 were breast on 1:05 - this was great!
    200 easy
    400 pull
    4 x 100 pull on 1:40 hard
    100 easy

Then at lunch:
    24 x 50 on :50 and 1:00 for the kick - 6 each of SKPS - really worked all but the last one (especially the pulling)
    10 x 75 on 1:10, 1:05, 1:00, :55, :50 times two - first one on the :50 I only did a 25 of it, could NOT make that interval!!

Total for the day: 3800 LCM & 2000 SCY

*Spoke to the surgeon yesterday - scheduled my surgery for March 30th for right arm, and hopefully April 13th for the left. Supposedly this is something that yes, will keep me out of the water for 2 weeks after surgery, but should not be overly painful for more than 48 hours or so. He said that many people commonly have surgery on Wednesday, and go back to work on the following Monday. Problem is, I have two arms that need worked on. Seriously considered having him do both arms on the same day, to minimize my recovery period, but then my father so kindly reminded me of possible toileting issues that might cause undue embarrassment if I had NO arms to tend to myself for 3 days!! Ah well, pride goeth before a fall and all that. Guess I'm looking at a total of a month out of the water - I will make sure to spend my time increasing the strength in my legs!!

On another note, I have reconsidered my training habits, partly due to a forum topic on swimming a lot of yardage for yardages sake. After my dismal performance at the Auburn meet, I realize that perhaps that is just what I have unintentionally been doing. I am a middle distance swimmer, and enjoy going long sets, but I need to spend a larger portion of my time in the water focusing on speed. Since I swim with ATAC in the AM, and not the afternoons, I am stuck with their yardage for yardage sake workout. Luckily, I am not in High School anymore, and can stay a bit longer in the pool before I have to go to work, and so can incorporate some speedwork into my mornings. The problem with speedwork is that it is time consuming - thus I will have to satisfy my need for yardage by somehow finding more time to spend in the pool - on the days I don't work I could do this easily - that's why I've a housekeeper - I'd rather be swimming!! But in the mornings, I am just going to have to content myself with 3500 to 4000 per workout, and readjust my GTD goal as necessary. Who cares if I swim a million miles, I mean yards, this year anyway?

Feeling CoLoRFuL today!

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 11:00 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. February 17, 2011

Warm-up (1600)
    2 x
    • 1 X 200 3:20, 3:00
    • 3 X 100 1:40, 1:30
    • 4 X 75 1:20, 1:10

Drills (300 set/ 1900 total)
    3 x 100 @ :15 sec rest - 25 left arm, 25 right arm, 25 scull + kick, 25 swim

Fins #1 (1000 set/ 2900 total)
    4 x 25 underwater SDK w/fins @ :45
    6 x 50 @ :50 dolphin kick w/fins on back
    6 x 50 @ :50 dolphin kick w/fins
    6 x 50 @ :50 swim w/fins, focus on SDK on turns
    4 x 25 underwater SDK w/fins @ :45

Pull (2100 set/ 5000 total)
    5 x 100 @ 1:40 descend to 85% effort, focus on technique
    100 fast @ 2:00 (1:14)

4 x 100 @ 1:40 descend to 85% effort, focus on technique
    100 fast @ 2:00 (1:16)

3 x 100 @ 1:40 descend to 85% effort, focus on technique
    100 fast @ 2:00 (1:17)

2 x 100 @ 1:40 descend to 85% effort, focus on technique
    100 fast @ 2:00 (1:17)

2 x 100 @ 1:40 85% effort, focus on technique
    100 fast (1:18)

100 easy

* 5000 total *

Yesterday's workout must have taken a lot out of me, I knew from the first lap of warmup that it was going to be rough - and the times on the "fast" 100s proved me right :-).

Updated February 26th, 2012 at 02:49 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts