View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mountain Lakes Triathlon

by , August 13th, 2011 at 05:12 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Tried something a little different this weekend and entered the Mountain Lakes Triathlon in Guntersville, AL. Did the whole thing and not just the swim leg. It was a pretty well run event with excellent traffic control, a flat course and beautiful views of Lake Guntersville. I couldn't really train for this since Nationals was last week and I was tapering. So, basically, I got a lot of swimming practice, one week of cycling before my taper and no practice running. It's just a 5k run... how hard can that be? I would soon find out.

The swim was 600 yards and took off from a beach... if you could call it that. For about 25 yards, it was knee deep. More "swimmable" after that. Started out with sand which then went through rock followed by mud covered with a layer of weeds and finally just plain nasty lake mud. Visibility was about 2 feet at best. I dove in over the rocks and just sucked it up as my hand occasionally dug into weeds and mud. Started 37th (individual timed starts about 5 sec apart)... a few spots behind my MATT teammate Roger and his daughter. The catch was that they let the college teams go first. Alabama, Auburn and Clemson sent sizable college triathlete teams... some of which weren't terribly good swimmers. So, I ended up picking my way through the crowd. Crawled over a couple people challenged with swimming straight lines. Came out of the water right behind Roger and his daughter. That was really odd because I never swim faster that Roger under any conditions. Final time: 8:01... good enough for first in my age group. Probably good enough for the fastest swim for anyone over 40. There were some college swimmers I know I didn't catch but I was very happy with where I was.

The bike was 16.1 miles... not too far. Started with a horrible transition though. Couldn't get anything on correctly. Should have just taken off with cycling shoes and a helmet and forgotten the rest. The time lost wasn't worth it. Bike went well anyway. I've got a decent road bike but nothing even close to the $6000 tri bikes that constantly blew past me at 25+ mph. Its a rich man's sport and I don't intend to put a lot of time into triathlons until I can afford the equipment necessary to compete. That's one thing I love about swimming. You can be competitive with less than $100 worth of equipment. I managed to average 20. Not too bad for being out of the sport for so long. I expected to eventually catch Roger (he had a better transition) but it never happened. Turns out he blew me away on the bike. No equipment or training excuses there... he was just faster than I was.

Somehow over the years, I've forgotten how painful it is to dismount a bicycle and immediately start running. It hurts bad and IMO, just isn't worth it. I'm not a runner and didn't train so starting a 5K in the condition I was in was just not a great idea. The miles drug on forever and eventually my left quad started cramping up. Fortunately, I had no knee problems (I run like a duck) and I was able to gut out the pain to finish.

The best part about the triathlon is that at some point you get to stop. The pain is still there but just isn't quite so bad when you reflect on what you have done. In all, I spent and hour and a half giving it all I had and refusing to quit. I knew my swim time was good and aside from that, I just wanted to finish. I'm glad I did it but I don't see myself doing it again. I love doing swimming legs of triathlons and I'll definitely stick to that for now. Might do a 1500m swim in the Tennessee river for the Rocketman triathlon in a couple weeks.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Another slow day

by , August 13th, 2011 at 02:54 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just another easy day. Was unable to get a chiropractic appointment Friday so having to suffer. I did decide to do some fly to see if that would help and it did somewhat until my right hip is back in place I will have to deal with this.

500 Free broken
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50kick/50 swim strong
    500 Free kick w/fins broken

Total 2000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Longest workout in over a year!!

by , August 12th, 2011 at 11:44 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Swam with the older group this afternoon. They just got back in the pool starting on Wednesday after a 6 week break, so I figured now was the best time to join them.

I got to warm-up late, but was able to do a little bit of one. I was really tired after this workout, but relieved I could get through it.

Warm-up: 400 swim, 200 kick

6 x 200 free on 3:00 (used paddles on even swims)

400 I.M. kick
    1 minute rest
    4 x 200 free on 3:00 (used paddles on even swims)

300 I.M. kick
    1 minute rest
    2 x 200 free on 3:00 (no paddles)

100 easy

500 free pull with paddles and buoy

200 easy

4500 SCY

Thoughts:

1. It was my choice to use paddles on the 200 free swims. I felt like I was dropping my elbow on swims without them and so wearing the paddles forced me to have better form. Tomorrow, if I can get my swim in, I plan to follow Fort's suggestion of using fins and working my legs. No paddles tomorrow.

2. Discovered where my lower back stuff is coming from. I breathe on one side because the pool chemistry is not the greatest and thus, have to breathe every stroke. May use my inhaler next time to so that I can make attempt at breathing every three. My left side is not happy with the constant "twisting."

3. Encouraged I could make it through the workout. Hope to get in once a week with this group to get an endurance workout. Plan to make my other workouts between 2,000 to 3,000 yards and focus mainly on technique.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Noodler Magnet, Aug. 12

by , August 12th, 2011 at 09:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters on back

Main Sets:

10 x 50 fly drill
    1-4 & 6-9 single arm fly
    5 & 8 easy speed fly
    50 EZ

10 x 50 back drill w/turtles
    -- Love turtles for backstroke, after being indifferent for free. They definitely promote an EVF and a shallower arm pull. Shallower rather than deep works better for me on backstroke.

10 x 50 breast drill
    1-5 alternate dolphin and whip kick
    6-10 1 pull 2 kick
    50 EZ

16 x 25 fast dolphin kick w/board and fins @ :30

50 EZ

4 x 100 w/paddles @ 2:00
    50 scull + 50 free

Total: 3300

-----------------------------------------------------

I am a noodler magnate. I've been thinking about this phenomenon or awhile. When there is only one person per lane, noodlers and lap swimmers inevitably want to join my lane. Today, someone wanted to jump in my lane with an actual swim noodle around her waist. Seriously? And why me? I can only surmise that the principal reason is that I'm not a continuous lap swimmer, rest on walls frequently and hence can be more easily interrupted and asked to share. After many years of swimming during lap swim hours, I have also observed that women are always asked to share before men -- no matter which sex is asking. I am well used to sharing lanes. But I have to admit to be slightly perturbed when a slow poke with a super wide breaststroke kick who gravitates toward the middle of the lane chooses my lane instead of another slow poke lane. This even happened yesterday to Wolfy and me. Those of you who train with teams have no idea how frustrating this can be sometimes. Today, when I wasn't even sitting on a wall, someone stopped me in the middle of one of my 50 flys. Seriously?

I did mostly a recovery workout today with a sprint endurance kick set. Then I crawled through absolutely appalling traffic to Pittsburgh. Rush hour apparently starts at 2:00 pm in the DC suburbs on Friday.

Hoping tomorrow will be more fun. I'm out of the pool and onto roller coasters!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Double FAST Fri Aug 12th 2011 scy

by , August 12th, 2011 at 05:05 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Aug 12th 2011 scy

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Tyler Coached
    UT, main pool scy
    noon to 1:15 dove in 12:07
    wore blue camo jammer
    swam with Max & Enrique
    Beside Beth
    (got in the one of 2 lanes that have blocks when the lane lines are east west scy

WARM UP
    12 min choice

Main SET: scy

10 x 100 fr on 6:00 fast for time
    from a dive off the Blocks
    2 heats 2:00 apart
    did them:
    5 SDKs, 50 2 beat kick, 50 6 beat kick
    went:
    54 on #1 ,
    53's on 2 - 8
    skipped 9 and
    52 on #10

did 100 swim down after most hard 100's
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. FAST Fri Aug 12th 2011 scy

by , August 12th, 2011 at 04:51 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Aug 12th 2011 scy

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool scy
    6:30 to 8:00 dove in 6:35ish
    wore blue FS PRO jammer
    swam with Todd
    Beside tyler, chris, & Larry

WARM UP
    20 min choice

10 x 100 fr on 6:00 fast for time
    from a dive off the side in
    2 heats 2:00 apart
    went: 57 on #1 , 4 56's & 4 55's, &
    53 on #10
    did around 100 swim down after most hard 100
    did most fast 100's: 50 2 beat kick, 50 6 beat kick
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -08/15/11

by , August 12th, 2011 at 12:14 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    We are back to short course yards starting today

SCY
    WARMUP:
    2 X 200 3:30
    4 X 100 1:30
    8 X 50 :50
    Descend 50's 1-4/5-8

1 X 200 Kick 4:30
    2 X 100 kick 2:15
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    50's: 25 fast/25 easy
    1 X 100 easy swim

18 X 50 1:00
    #4-8-12-16 are fast
    #17-18 are easy
    All choice

3 X 300 5:15
    3 X 200 3:30
    3 X 100 1:45
    Within each distance, #1 swim is IM, #2 is 50 stroke/50 free, #3 is free.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4800Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Friday, August 12, 2011 5:30am

by , August 12th, 2011 at 10:53 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Only 31.5 miles behind my GTD pace to 500 Miles. I'm digging my way out of the hole slowly now. Should be out of the red by around Thanksgiving.

I didn't have to work early this morning (normally 5am, today 10:30am), so I went over to the Y for an hour and a half swim with a goal to make 5K. I made it, but it was tiring. Good practice for my upcoming 5K OW event in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in 2 weeks, August 27th.

Warmup:
    (200 Free, 100 Kick, 300 Pull) x2
    300 IM Drill

5 x 200 IM @ 3:00

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00

6 x 150 Free Pull @ 2:00

8 x 50 (Fly/Free by 25s) @ :50

500 Kick w/ board (100 flutter/100 breast)

200 Free EZ and out

-------------------
    5000 Yards Whew...that was tiring, I haven't done that much in a while.

In the middle of the 200 IMs, I think after the 3rd one, I looked up and there was a familiar person standing on the deck just watching me swim. I realized it was Peony. She's still going at it in the pool, 1650 Fly and everything, even after a few trips to the Seattle hospital, chemotherapy threatments for her pancreatic cancer. I gave her a big hug. She was so happy to see me. It's really good to see her back in the pool.
  9. Friday workout

by , August 12th, 2011 at 09:27 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    The 2200 yd set was kind of interesting. I had to pick out parts where I could recover so I could keep going. Did the whole thing on the edge of falling apart but in the end I had enough to finish the last 100 on 1:11. Once we were done, Dave got the idea of swimming a hard 100 fly. I'm doing a triathlon tomorrow so I passed. He finished in 1:14 with a drag suit on. Nice swim Dave!

SCY

400 Warm up

4 times through
    * 25 Kick - :30
    * 50 Fly/Free - :45
    * 75 Kick/Fly/free - 1:15
    * 25 Back/75 Free - 1:30
    * 100 Free - 1:25
    * 100 Free - 1:20
    * 100 Free - 1:15
    50 Easy

5 x 200 IM - 3:30 (made all on 3:00)
    100 Stroke - 2:00
    200 IM - 3:00
    300 Free - 4:00

250 Cool Down

(4500 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Easy swim today

I had a nice easy swim this morning with a friend over at the Y. I’d been feeling under the weather this week, and was out of the water for the last 3 days, so it felt good to be back swimming again. Here’s what I did:

1000 scy warmup

6 x 50 FR @ :50, desc. 1-3 and 4-6

Then I joined my lanemate for one round of her distance set:

800 swim
    600 pull [I just did 550]
    400 kick
    200 easy back
    [These were all relaxed pieces—no interval, just :30-1:00 rest in between]

100 warmdown

I felt good throughout.

Later this morning I’m headed up to Lake Placid for the 2-mile cable swim plus a few days of r&r. Mirror Lake is one of my favorite places in all the world to swim—it’s where I did my first open-water race back in the mid-90s, and I’ve gone back most summers ever since. After the race Saturday morning, I’m looking forward to some nice long easy swims over the weekend, including at least one lake IM. I’m also anticipating spending considerable time draped over the nearest willing lounge chair reading and napping. If I get a clear night there might even be a moonlight swim—full moon is this weekend! Maybe I’ll find some swim buddies for that adventure at the race Saturday.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Starting to feel like I am recovering alittle

by , August 12th, 2011 at 08:10 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This week I have been hurting not only from the drive back from Auburn but the fact I never recovered from the 1500 Free the first day of the meet.

5x100@:2:00 Free
    500 Free w/fins every 3rd25 FAST
    5x100@1:45 Free w/paddles & bouy
    10x50 Free w/snorkle kick offs to 15 meter mark then swim

Total 2000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:30pm

by , August 11th, 2011 at 10:59 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Got in for a quick 45 minutes before heading out to my daughter's soccer practice.

Warmup:
    100 Free/50 Back/100 Free/50 Back
    100 Kick on back, flutter/dolphin
    200 IM Drill
    300 Free Pull

12 x 50 Free @ :45

10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:15
    #1-4 held 1:07s
    #5 EZ on 2:00
    #6-9 held 1:07s
    #10 dropped the paddles/buoy, went swim all out went a 1:00.

Cool down in the showers. I'll be back in the morning to go for a 5000+ yard set. No work till later in the day.
    ---------------
    2500 Yards
  13. The Plan

by , August 11th, 2011 at 10:49 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    O.K. I feel like I am getting back on track. The plan is that I will take the next month to do what I call "leaning up." My weight is at 145 which is not bad except the old body fat percentage has gone up. I have now what one would call a curvy body which is nice in some ways, but not what I am used to. So, the plan is to lean down to perhaps 137 to 140 and add back some muscle.

For the next month, I hope to alternate run days and swim days. No weights until I lean down. So, probably am talking about mid-Septemeber before I hit the weights.

I really would like to do Auburn in February and the SCY Nationals in April. It will be interesting to see if I can get back in shape in time even though I have been on a one year taper.

I do have to say that my body feels pretty good. All those places that felt really tight before I went on my one year break - my lower back and shoulders - feel fine now. I noticed on my dolphin kick the other day that I was getting a better range of motion and more power in my hips. My lower back is not tight at all! On fly, no shoulder issues either.

This is what I have done so far this week:

Monday
    Treadmill run. Ran 3 miles as follows:
    -started each mile at 6.0 mph and worked up to 7.5 or 8.0 mph by the last 1/4 of the mile.
    -walked for 30 seconds at each mile

Tuesday
    400 - 100 free, 100 breast kick, 100 back, 100 dolphin kick

8 x 50 - alternate 50 drill with 50 swim 1:15
    1 & 2, 7 & 8 are fly - use fins with on swim
    3 & 4 are back, 5 & 6 are free - use fins on swim

4 x 100 alternate 25 hard/25 easy on 1:45
    did kick with fins - made sure to alternate back kick, kick on side, and dolphin kick on back

4 x 100 odds are pull, evens are swim on 1:45 - did back on odds just using paddles and did free on evens

200 easy

1800 SCY

Wednesday
    off

Thursday
    2 miles on the treadmill as follows:
    1/2 mile warm-up at 6.5 mph
    alternate 2 minutes walking with 1 minute fast (did first one minute at 7.5 mph and worked my way up in speed so that I was at 9.0 mph on my last one minute run)

2 minute easy walk

Had planned to swim, but just as I was about to leave locker room with suit one, it thundered. So, will try to get it in tomorrow.

I am looking for any suggestions on how to improve muscle tone in my thighs. My calves are fine, but the thighs - ugh. Would love to hear any suggestions that involve swimming or running. Would doing a bunch of evil stroke kicking would help?

Updated August 11th, 2011 at 10:59 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Gorgeous Day for LCM, Aug. 11

by , August 11th, 2011 at 06:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    LCM @ Rockville:

Warm up:

12 x 50 various, broken with Wolfy chats

Main Sets:
    -- used fins

4 x 50 burst dolphin + cruise

5 x 100
    50 free + 50 back kick build

50 EZ

5 x (50 easy speed fly + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

5 x (50 back @ perceived 100 meter speed + 50 EZ)

100 scull w/paddles
    100 free w/paddles

Total: 2600 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was an utterly gorgeous day for a drive to MD to swim in Rockville. Bonus: I got to see Wolfy and catch up on life and swimming a bit. His advice: don't "go crazy" before the Terrapin Cup.

Since I am so unused to swimming outside, it seems difficult to really let 'er rip. I'm always worried about swimming straight, crashing into the slow mo lap swimmers there, crashing into the bottom at the shallow end, or crashing at the end with no backstroke flags. Much mental energy goes into crash avoidance. I also get utterly distracted by the sun and the reflections in the water.

I did the 50 flys today mostly for psychic benefit. The 50 still seemed very long. The backstroke 50s were much easier. I was mulling over going to hot yoga tonight, but I find myself too tired from that wee workout. Read: out-of-shape-sprinter-from-excessive-tapering. And, besides, I must pack! I'm going to Pittsburgh tomorrow for the weekend. Roller coasters at Kennywood and a swim with Jimby await! Will try to squeeze in RC exercises and stretching tonight.

My right front shoulder is still bothering me some. I suspect I re-aggravated it with the sprinting at nationals. It would probably appreciate some gentler aerobic work for awhile. Perhaps after the meet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday, 8/12/11

by , August 11th, 2011 at 04:57 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM

Warm up
    300 Choice
    - 150 free/150 back
    200 Kick
    - continuous, in streamline, no board, 50 fly/50 breast/50 free/50 back, used snorkel for fly-breast-free
    4 x 50/1:00 25 Free – 25 Stroke
    - for stroke went fly-back-breast-fly
    4 x 50 25 Fast – 25 easy
    25 easy – 25 Fast
    50 easy
    50 Fast
    - all free

Set #1: Stroke/Free
    Swim 2x:
    3 x 100/2:00
    1= 25 stroke (fly) – 75 free - went 1:34 on both
    2= 25 free – 50 stroke (back) – 25 free went 1:35 on both
    3 = 75 free – 25 stroke (breast) - went 1:38 on both
    2 x 100 IM/2:30 - went 1:40± on all

Set #2: Kick/Swim
    8 x 50 25 fast – 25 easy
    Alternate kick/15sr with swim/20sr
    - did free on 1-2, 5-6, back on 3-4, 7-8

Set #3: Pull
    1 x 400
    - w/buoy and freestyle paddles

Cool down
    100 easy free & back

Total: 2800 meters

Updated August 12th, 2011 at 04:49 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thursday, 8/11/11

by , August 11th, 2011 at 04:57 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM

Warm up:
    400 choice
    - alternated free/back by 100's
    200 as 50 kick - 50 drill
    - with snorkel, no board, fly kick, fist free, free kick, 1 arm free
    6 x 50/1:10 15 strong - 20 smooth- 15 strong
    - did 2x (fly-back-breast)

Main Set
    4 x 100/2:10 50 kick - 50 drill
    - free: w/board on kick, drill was fist and 1 arm free
    1 x 400/8:00 Holding strong pace
    - free: went 6:02, negative split it
    4 x 100/1:50 ds to strong pace
    - free: went 1:30-1:28-1:26-1:23

4 x 50/1:10 25 kick - 25 drill
    - back: did fist swim for drill
    1 x 200/4:00 strong pace
    - back: went 3:14
    4 x 50/1:10 ds to fast
    - back: went 48-47-45-43

Cool down
    100 easy free

Total: 2800 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Thu Aug 11th 2011 scy

by , August 11th, 2011 at 03:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Aug 11th 2011 scy

yesterday I wrote
    Monday Whitney started a main set theme and pattern, today was a continuation,
    today was too

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool scy
    6:30 to 8:00 dove in 6:37
    wore blue FS PRO jammer
    swam Beside Beth tyler, todd, Larry, & Chris

WARM UP
    assigned 4 3 2 1
    did: 20 x 50

10 x 100 fr on 1:30 75%

2:00 break

8 x 100 fr on 1:25

6 x 100 fr on 1:20

4 x 100 on 1:15
    did them kick,
    except for #3 where I did 25 k 25 fr
    to get a little rest

100 fast in heats,
    heat 2 dove off blocks
    did 50 2 beat kick 50 6 beat kick
    went 52

swam easy 50's for 8 min
    prob did 300
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. After Vacation

After a much needed family vacation I am back home swimming with the team. I did get to swim twice while away but those swims were not very intense or long. Glad to be back home!

While on vacation I did manage to get myself recharged for what I need to do for my family, work, and in the pool. I have adopted a new attitude to not worry about a bad workout or swim like I have in the past. I have decided to just do my very best everyday and the results will follow. I am hoping that this will help me stay focused on my goals I have set.

Felt sluggish through the very middle of the workout but quite a bit stronger towards the end.

300 Choice
    4 x 50 kick w/fins underwater R10
    4 x 50 kick feet stay below surface R10
    4 x 50 swim w/over kick & slow arms R10

Descend all of the following
    6 x 50 pull @ 50
    6 x 75 swim @ 1:10
    6 x 100 pull @ 1:30
    6 x 125 swim @ 1:50
    6 x 150 pull @ 2:10

50 EZ

4 x through the following
    100 w/bouy cruise @ 1:40
    3 x 25 Sprint @ 25
    25 recovery @ 60

200 w/d

4950 scy

Handled everything pretty well except for the 6 x 125s. I could not see the clock and missed my send off time on number three and tried to make it up and continue to get faster which didn't work very well. The short sprints at the end felt strong and fast so that was positive. I won't swim in a pool meet until the end of Oct. so I have plenty of time to work.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -08/12/11

by , August 11th, 2011 at 02:40 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 300 5:30 5:00
    3 X 100 2:00 1:45
    Twice. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 x 200 kick+ 100 easy swim

8 X 100 2:00
    odd: IM or stroke
    even: free

8 X 50 kick 1:20
    1 x 100 easy swim

1 X 400 6:00 6:00
    4 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Two times. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4600M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday Workout

by , August 11th, 2011 at 09:28 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Workout hurt today. I'm slowly getting back into grinding out the yards. My IM's have improved significantly probably due to a better fly.

SCY

450 Warm up

8 x 50 Pull - :50 Easy/Hard
    8 x 50 Kick - :50
    50 Easy

8 x 50 Pull - :50
    300 Free - 4:00