View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sat Oct 7th, 2011 SCY

by , October 8th, 2011 at 02:55 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Oct 7th, 2011 SCY

I'll be in NYC next Thu - Mon.

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

UT Swim Center: main pool
    7:30 - 9:00 dove in 7:40ish
    wore Jammer
    swam with Larry Jim & Paul
    beside Korey & Nate
    Whitney Coached

Assigned: 25 50 75 100 125 150 175 200
    200 175 150 125 100 75 50 25
    Did part of up & all of down

Main SET: scy

2 x 200 fr 75% on 2:50
    went 2:20s

400 faster Than the add up of the 2 2s
    Went out strong
    then smacked my hand hard around 250
    It went numb so I skipped a 50
    Jim went 4:11

100 easy

2 x 400 fr 75% on 5:20

800 faster Than the add up of the 2 4s
    Went out strong felt good
    Miscounted, stopped at 700 on 7:29

100 easy

Assigned: 5 x 200 with fins & paddles
    Did: 3 rounds of 100 easy speed 50 skip 50 3 breaths a length

Got out at 8:50 to do something fast
    Then didn't

Upcoming Meets

Sat Nov 12 - Sun 13, 2011
    2011 WMST November SCM Classic

Sat Dec 3rd & Sun Dec 4th
    2011 South Central SCM Regional Invitational
    San Antonio, TX
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week of 10/2/2011 - 10/8/2011

by , October 8th, 2011 at 02:53 PM (An Uber Clydesdale Swimmer's Journey)
    Monday, October 3, 2011
    2900 SCY
    I liked today's work out up until I read the sets of 500s.... I'm not a distance swimmer. I tend to either go out too fast or too slow, and either way my times end up reflecting that I didn't plan right. The 50s were great though; they allow you to get your heart rate up and pumping.
    400 free, easy
    4 x 50 IM order
    6 x 25 "15 meter" drill

Main Set
    4 x 25 "15 meter" drill
    5 x 50 fast
    5 x 50 faster
    2 x 500 rest... pull, swim
    5 x 50 build up sprints 0:30 rest
    5 x 50 build up sprints 0:30 rest stroke
    3 x 50 easy recovery

Cool down
    200 free, easy
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011
    3350 SCY
    Wow it's cold tonight!!! This afternoon as I drove to my college class, it poured rain. I mean a lot! I could barely see 25 feet in front of my truck. It was crazy! Of course, I still made it to swimming tonight in spite of the strong urge to go home after class to escape the rain. By the time practice rolled around, the rain had let up and there was only an occasional breeze. Apparently most of the swimmers were scared away, as there were only two other swimmers (both Masters swimmers) in the pool with me: Danielle and Ed. I was able to get in the whole workout, but the worst part was getting out. It was a cold dash from the pool to my bag, and from there to the locker room.
    400 free, easy
    1 x 200 IM
    6 x 50 "15 meter" drill

Main Set
    400 swim
    300 pull
    200 kick
    100 drill
    9 x 100 swim w/0:15 sec rest (1 easy, 1 STRONG, repeat)
    5 easy
    8 x 50 w/0:20 rest (free/non-free by 25)

Cool down
    100 free, easy

I know that regular readers of my blog will be thinking "What happened to Friday's workout?!". I didn't swim Friday night because my boss had a birthday at his house. I wanted to go, and since I was going to be taking care of my Dad and step-mom's dogs that weekend, I was hoping to get a work-out in on Saturday. I did some looking around in the Redlands and Yucaipa area, and the only place I could find that listed public lap swim was the University of Redlands. I called the number to verify and the recording said the pool was only open to students, staff, and alumni, and that it was going to be closed this weekend for the men's water polo game. Darn it!

Updated October 24th, 2011 at 03:37 PM by tuna

Swim Workouts
  3. Friday, Oct. 7, 2011 5:30pm (2nd swim of day)

by , October 7th, 2011 at 11:24 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    100 Free
    200 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    300 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill
    4 x 50 Free @ :40

Honestly I felt like crap at this point, really really tight muscles in my arms. Wasn't really sure how'd I'd do with the main set:

5 x 200 IM @ 3:05,
    went 2:45, 2:38, 2:35, 2:31, 2:24

I started off kind of tired feeling and just swam it easy, then it got better on the 2nd one, and I decided to start descending to the end.
    The last one felt pretty good, and I probably could've gone faster had I done a #6.

200 EZ
    2400 Yards

OK, now I think I'm ready for my meet events on Sunday. 400 IM is my main event I'm shooting to do well in, after that I'll just race!
    I still have to go to work tomorrow for overtime, as well as get out for a little bit to coach my son's soccer team, and get back to work. Fun fun fun!
  4. 17,000 in 4 hours - Glad that's out of my system!

by , October 7th, 2011 at 05:43 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Was originally slated to "Swim the Suck" tomorrow, but financial considerations, 70 degree water w/out a wetsuit, and fear of the competition (yes really) caused me to second guess myself and not enter the event. Regretting this action, I decided to do the 10 miles anyway, on my own. I must have lost my marbles! Worst part - my eyes were killing me from the goggles! Course, I can only imagine swimming four hours without goggles!
    I don't think I will do this again, in the river or not - this was a ridiculously long swim, and not only am I exhausted, but sunburned as well. On the bright side - certainly added to my GTD today!!

5 x 1700 with one minute rest between each
    This is where I started wondering why I was doing this!!
    500 back/free
    500 pull no paddles
    10 x 50 on :45
    10 x 50 kick on 1:00
    1000 steady state
    15 x 100 on 1:25
    4 x 125 IM's (rotate the 50 stroke) on 1:50
    100 easy
    400 locomotive w/pull bouy
    3 x 500 - swim, pull bouy, zoomers
    5 x 100 kick w/zoomers on 1:50
    9 x 100 free, 3 on 1:25, 3 on 1:30, 3 on 1:40 - easy 50 on the minute between groups of three, last three were the recovery swims.
    Total: 17,000

**Glad that's out of my system! Now I can move on to training correctly for Nationals in the Spring. I have been playing with the idea of borrowing from Chowmi or The Fortress to see if I can improve my turns & learn how to sprint a little more - currently my sprinting means building! So, on Tues & Thurs, since I'm not training with ATAC those days, those will be the days I go less yardage, but more quality speed & work on my SDK's. Also, I am going to enjoy my leisurely intervals with the lunch bunch, but pretend my name is Jennifer - and go 90% or better on them - if I am getting a lot of rest, I might as well put in my best effort as much of the time as possible! In the morning with the kids, I am moving over to a faster lane. I have been "working" but I can do better. Also, my paddles have been put "on the shelf" for a few weeks - my elbows deserve the rest.
  5. Oct. 6-7

by , October 7th, 2011 at 04:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Bikram, 90 minutes

Wow, much easier to get through a bikram class when it's the first or only workout of the day!

I had intended to go to my team practice at night. But after it took me 45 minutes just to drive 3 miles to Lil Fort's cross country practice and get home, I couldn't face an hour+ drive in traffic to Fairfax. And it was probably for the best anyway as the rest enabled me to have a kick ass sprint practice at Mason today.

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason:

-- no blocks or backstroke flags, but it was refreshingly cool
    -- immediately deleted all fast backstroke from my workout

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 25 shooter on back

Transition Sets:

9 x 50 @ 1:00
    3 x free/single arm fly/backstroke kick

4-5 dives from side with clean entries
    -- left quad started protesting, so I desisted

4 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise

50 EZ

Sprint Sets:

5 x (50 fly w/fins AFAP + 150 EZ)
    -- Went mid 24s on 4, high 24 on one
    -- Really happy with these; 2 seconds faster than a month ago
    -- Was wondering if my new fins might have given me an extra speed assist since they're very stiff. But whatever assist they gave me was likely wiped out on the turn as I had difficulty getting a good push off.
    -- I also didn't breath on the first length, which is a slight time saver. May try to do a 1 breath 50 fly at the Sprint Classic.

1 x 25 AFAP free + 75 easy
    -- Ouch! Flutter kicking hurt the quad too much, probably because I don't engage the core as much as for dolphin kick

1 x 100 broken 100 fly w/fins fast
    -- long and strong
    -- :15 rest each 25
    -- went :47 (out in 11)
    -- stroke felt awesome

200 EZ

Total: 2850

Very glad to end the week with a kick ass workout. May try to get another speed session in Sunday. I'm due for another dryland workout today. I may hit the TRX while Lil Fort is at soccer practice, and will edit blog. My left quad has not improved over the course of the week, so I think I'm going to have to lay off lower body exercises for awhile. The timing is not ideal, but no other option I fear. Probably need to start icing, etc.
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  6. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -10/10/11

by , October 7th, 2011 at 04:12 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)

WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:45 3:30
    4 X 100 2:00 1:45
    4 X 50 descend 1:00 1:00
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

6 X 200 pull 3:30
    Descend 1-3/4-6

1 X 200 kick + 100 swim

4 X {3 X 50 1:20
    Choice. #1 easy #2 build #3 fast

1 X 100 easy swim

1 X 400 kick
    50 easy/50 fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

Swim Workouts
  7. Learning from the soreness

One of the things I love about the ballet class I attend is that our teacher really focuses on body awareness. One way she does this is to ask after each barre exercise which muscles we felt most while doing the isolated, repetitive movements typical of barre work. Ballet being ballet, there are definite right and wrong answers: some combination of outward (hip) rotators, inner thigh muscles, glutes, and abs is inevitably the response she is looking for, while feeling things too much in the calves, hip flexors, lower back, or feet indicates incorrect positioning or a failure to engage larger muscle groups. If one of these latter answers is indeed what someone felt most, we stop and figure out why, and how to fix it so that the right muscles are being engaged. One of the few advantages of overworking one of the “wrong” muscles is that that muscle becomes quite fatigued, and if you are making the same mistake in subsequent exercises you can feel it right away.

I mention this because when I awoke Monday after the Ederle swim I felt as if I’d been run over by a truck. My whole body seemed sore and tired, and I just felt like crawling back under the covers and moaning all day. But after a while I started paying attention to where exactly I was feeling sore. Lats and obliques were both nicely tender—cool! I think of those as good swimming muscles, large and able to do a lot of work without complaining. I was especially pleased to feel like I had used some of my core muscles enough to feel them afterwards. Upper back—a little sore, yes, but not unduly so, which is great because that is often a trouble spot for me. My neck was not sore at all, surprising given that I had been having trouble with it since the Coney Island 10K a few weeks ago. That was definitely good news. My legs were decidedly fatigued, but I had no particular muscle soreness there.

On the other hand, my upper arms (delts) felt really awful—all sore and bunchy, they made holding my arms out to the side or overhead painful. The tops of my forearms were also very tender, and above my left wrist there was a large painful knot. Not good. I decided that I would head to the pool on Tuesday to figure out where in my stroke I was overusing these body parts.

And that’s what I did, not only on Tuesday but Wednesday and today as well. I wasn’t feeling energetic enough on any of these days to do actual workouts, so I just swam between 1000-2000 yards/meters and experimented with some different ways of swimming. My goal was to find out what made the hurtingest places hurt, and how I could stroke differently to avoid that.

First off, the bunchy delts: I have had this happen before when I have upped my stroke rate from my usual 58-60, and thought that might be one cause. I also thought that my straight arm recovery might be part of the problem, especially after I looked at Vlad’s photos and saw that during the swim I was often straightarming both sides rather than just the left. You use your delts to hold your arm out to the side, so it seemed logical that bringing them through that position while swimming might stress the muscle. But, when I tried bending my elbows on my recovery, the deltoids hurt even more. I pictured what I was doing, and realized that pushing my arms behind my back to bend them was an awkward motion . . . something seemed to be missing . . . aha, that rotation thing. I tried exaggerating my rotation, and was then able to bend my arms on the recovery without pain. I’d never really understood before why I did a straight arm recovery on my left side, only that it felt like what my body needed to do. Now I know it’s to compensate for a lack of rotation on my nonbreathing side.

As for the stroke rate part, I realized that when I try to push myself to go faster, my first reaction is to up my stroke rate, and to do that I rush the overwater (recovery) part of the stroke, which works the deltoids. As an alterntive, I could find ways of increasing my speed that involved better dps rather than higher stroke rate, or maybe I could find ways of achieving a higher stroke rate other than speeding up my recovery. One solution might be an earlier exit—I often push my hands beyond my hip underwater, even though I know I don’t get much from that part of the stroke. I tried that, and a fringe benefit seemed to be that it took some of the strain off my sore forearms and wrist. Cool.

The only sticking point seemed to be that the two things I was trying to do—more rotation, and earlier hand exit—seemed to be working against each other. I’m still trying to make them coexist, experimenting around with quicker/earlier breathing and using my core more to generate earlier rotation. It’s a long-term project, but I feel like the last few days of experimenting have helped me understand how these things might all eventually fit together.

Otherwise, I’m still feeling very fatigued from the swim, and am having some residual problems maintaining my blood pressure at good (ie high enough) levels—I plan to talk with my doctor about other ways of managing that problem, since that’s been an ongoing concern throughout the summer. My wrist is sore but better—my ART guy suggested that it’s de Quervain’s tendonitis, which seems to fit my symptoms. So I’m trying to be patient about letting my body recover--I’m not planning on resuming regular workouts for at least another week, although I hope to get in some easy beach swimming this weekend. Today’s swim is typical of what I’ve been doing in the pool:

500 lcm warmup

2x thru
    4 x 50 FR easy @ 1:00, working on technique
    2:00 rest
    [This was actually a 10 x 50 @ 1:00 warmup set that I was doing with some swim buddies, but I found I needed to rest in the middle. Ugh!]

500 lcm warmdown + play

That was it, short but sweet and technique-focused.

Have a good weekend everyone!
  8. 10.7.2011 Friday workout

by , October 7th, 2011 at 01:24 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Roger. Everyone had their own lane. Pool around 82. No drag suit. Power hour format with everyone contributing 1000 yards of pain to the workout.

450 Warm up

My set (Lifted this from yesterday and modified to fit a 1:30 pace)
    100 Kick - 1:45, 100 IM - 1:30, 100 fr - 1:15
    100 Kick - 1:50, 100 IM - 1:30, 100 fr - 1:10
    100 Kick - 1:55, 100 IM - 1:30, 100 fr - 1:05
    :25 Rest
    100 fr - 1:05
    50 Easy

Kind of liked this set yesterday but was frustrated that I missed the 1:05. Made it today. An extra 5 seconds on the 100 IM seemed to make a difference as well as the increasing interval on the kick. Thought I was in trouble on the second 1:05 since Roger was pulling away from me. Turned out he was in the 1:00 flat range.

Dave B's set
    200 Choice - 3:00 (I did 200 IM)
    300 Choice - 4:30 (I did 100 Kick/100IM/100fr)
    100 Choice - 1:30 (I did 100 br kick 1:26)
    50 Easy

Dave wasn't in a terribly creative mood this morning so he let us "color in" our own challenges into his loose framework. After the 1:05s, I was content to just cruise through a little IM.

Dave M's set
    3 times through:
    * 200 fr - 2:20
    * 100 fr - 1:40
    1:00 Rest
    100 IM Kick - 2:00 (1:35)

Back to feeling a little pain. Made the 200s on 2:20 but barely. I was touching the wall while Roger and Dave were pushing off. Kick was good though. I don't think I've ever done a 100 IM kick on 1:35 before.

Roger's set

5 x 200 - 3:00
    Convert 100 Pull/100 Fly to 100 Pull/100 Kick

We don't usually follow pull with fly and I can kind of see why. This brought on a special soreness in my lats that I still feel as I type. Probably good for me. Glad to get the fly out of the way early and cruise through some br kick.

(4750 Total)
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout & 3000 Postal Swim

by , October 7th, 2011 at 12:49 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Friday, 10/7/11

I felt pretty good this morning even though I'm a bit sore in the back and arms from the new routine I'm doing at the gym. Swim felt a LOT better than yesterday.

Warm up (650)
    300 swim free and back
    200 kick with board and snorkel
    100 drill rhythm drill, free and back
    50 scull front and ww with snorkel

Pull/Swim (1000)
    Keep aerobic
    2 x 200/20sr w/bouy only
    - #1 free @ 2:55, #2 back @ 3:15
    100 swim
    2 x 200 pull/10sr w/bouy and paddles
    - #1 free @ 2:50, #2 back @ 3:10
    100 swim

Mini sprint pick me up (200)
    4 x 50/1:00
    #1) build to sprint - :36
    #2) 25 fast - 25 easy - :38
    #3) 15 - 20 - 15 - :38
    #4) 25 easy - 25 fast - :40

Main Set (1150)
    200 IM Drill
    - did mix of 1 arm and fist except for breast where I did with flutter kick and dolphin kick
    4 x 50/1:00 IM switch (25/25)
    - #1 & 4 around 45, #2 & 3 around 50
    2 x 50 free drill
    5 x 100 free/1:40 hold aerobic pace on 1-4, #5 fast
    - ave 1:25 on #1-4, went 1:15 on #5
    3 x 50/1:00 easy, pace, easy

Warm down
    100 easy swim

Total: 3100 yards

A friend offered to count and record times for me so I went to the pool at noon and swam the 3000 postal. Swam it pretty good considering I had already done a 3000 yard workout earlier. Was holding about 1:25-27/100 pace throughout, ending with 43:15 for the swim. Not my best but I'll take it!
    Now all I have left is the 6000 and I'll have done all the postal swims this year!

Updated October 7th, 2011 at 07:29 PM by poolraat

10. Geek might like this

by , October 7th, 2011 at 12:27 PM (Random Nonsense)
    if the main set was repeated a couple more times.

Team Practice SCY

Warm up
    - 400 swim
    - 400 pull
    - 4x100 kick w/fins
    - 4x50 drill swim
    Main Set
    - 500 free went 5:48
    - 4x50 on :50 (did ez)
    - 300 free went 3:24
    - 4x50 on :50 (did ez)
    - 500 free went 5:46
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

The last 500 was mega painful. I am pretty sure we went out 1:06ish and I came back 1:12ish. The pool is 50M with digital clocks along the length of the pool, so it is ideal when the pool is setup lengths with the bulkhead instead of widths and you can see the clock while breathing. I got lost during the first 500 and did some tarzan stroke to look at the clock, and there is no way I would have kept up that pace going out on the second 500 if I knew how fast it was. SO painful coming home and my legs were killing me off the walls.

Those times, while not quite embarrassing to me, do indicate I have a long way to go before I am ready for 30x100 on 1:10.

Pool was setup widths, no starting blocks and no fast swim, sorry quick.
  11. FAST FRIDAY Oct 6th, 2011 SCY

by , October 7th, 2011 at 12:17 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRIDAY Oct 6th, 2011 SCY

I need to start lifting weights again.

I'm going to be in NYC next Thu - Mon.

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

UT Swim Center: started in main pool then moved to diving well
    5:00 - 6:30 dove in 5:04
    wore Jammer
    swam with mike
    beside Tyler, Todd, & James
    Whitney Coached

10 min swim 5 min kick 5 min pull
    stop at 5:20

Main SET: scy

5 x 200 on 5:00 FAST best average
    went 2:05, 2:04, 2:03, 2:04, 1:58

300 easy

moved to diving well

5 x 100 kick on 3:00
    FAST best average
    went 1:10, 1:09, 1:08, 1:08, 1:06

300 easy

5 x 50 FL on 1:30
    FAST best average
    went :28, 27, 26, 26, 25

200 easy

BOTH UT men and women were in this morning
    UT Women have the Orange and white meet
    I hope to watch the first 30 minutes

Upcoming Meets

Sat Nov 12 - Sun 13, 2011
    2011 WMST November SCM Classic

Sat Dec 3rd & Sun Dec 4th
    2011 South Central SCM Regional InvitationalSan Antonio, TX
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, Oct. 7, 2011 5:00am

by , October 7th, 2011 at 11:31 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    200 Free
    100 Kick
    200 Free Pull
    200 Free
    100 Kick
    200 IM Drill

4 x 125 Free @ 1:30 (held 1:27-1:28)
    This was almost a straight 500 with the lack of rest I was getting, but it kept me moving.

Mini-mountain: (relaxed intervals)
    Base :30 + :20 per addt'l 25
    25 Free @ :30
    50 Free @ :50
    75 Free @ 1:10
    100 Free @ 1:30
    la la la... to
    200 Free @ 2:50 (went 2:15)

Took about 5 minutes to with my buddy.

Down the mountain - Alternating IM on the Odds, Free EZ on the Evens

200 IM @ 2:50 (went 2:30)
    175 Free @ 2:30
    150 IM @ 2:10 (50 Fly, 50 Back, 25 Breast, 25 Free)
    125 Free @ 1:50
    100 IM @ 1:30 (went 1:14)
    75 Free @ 1:10
    50 IM @ :50 (50 Fly)
    25 Free @ :30

outta here!
    3300 Yards

I've got my next swim meet session on Sunday, swimming at a USA-S meet in Ellensburg, WA at Central Washington Univ.
    Swimming the 400 IM, 200 Back, 100 Fly, 200 Breast, and 100 Free. All SCY. Should be a good one. I feel great in the water. We'll see how I feel after the 13 year old kick my butt though.
  13. Friday Freeze 10/07/11

by , October 7th, 2011 at 11:24 AM (The Labours of SwimStud) was 37 degrees on the drive this am . The pool wasn't pleasant when I dove in either so I hustled to warm up.
    Warm Up
    400 FR
    8 x 50 Drill 2 each: Stick, Fulcrum, Skate, 3 & Skate
    100 EZ FRee

Main Set-Free

5 times through
    100 Pull 2:00 moderate/recovery
    50 Kick 1:30
    50 Fast 1:00

100 Easy

Fly Set
    8 x 75 K/D/Swim by 25 on 2:00
    1-4 kick on back no board....5-8 I had to get a board and go on my front.

Kicking with Fins
    1 x 200 Moderate
    8 x 50 1:00 FR/FL by 25
    Max underwater off of the walls breathe when necessary.
    1 x 200 Fast Kick

300 FR
  14. Long Course and no fly! Oh My!

by , October 7th, 2011 at 09:06 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just going thru the motions again. Still a little sore and mentally drained this week.

1000 Free broken
    500 Free kick w/fins
    6x50 Free w/snorkle as 15 meters kick/20 meters swim/15 meters kick (snorkle kept filling up on me)
    10x100@1:45 free w/paddles & bouy
    4x50 from dive 20 meter sprints

Total 3000 meters
  15. Thursday, 10/6/11

by , October 6th, 2011 at 08:54 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    A recovery day today. And I needed it. I swam like crap.

Warm up (800)
    200 swim free
    200 kick on back
    200 drill, 1 arm free with snorkel and 1 arm back
    200 pull/scull with snorkel

Pull with bouy only (300)
    6 x 50/1:00 2 free, 2 back, 2 breast
    - held interval for free and back, had to go on 1:15 for breast

Set #1 with Fins (800)
    Kick 6 x 50/1:10 kick 15y under water off each wall
    - alternated on back and belly, was going almost 15y on 12-13 SDK
    - flutter on back for remaining 10y, doing these around 45
    Swim free 8 x 50/45
    - around 38±

100 scull (25 front/25 ww/25 backsweep/25 front)

Set #2 with Fins and paddles (800)
    Kick 3 x 100/15sr 1 choice - 1 mix - 1 dolphin
    - did 1st one flutter on back, 2nd one 25 dolphin/25 flutter on back, 3rd dolphin on back. all around 1:30
    Swim back 8 x 50/50
    - did these around 43±

100 swim free

Set #3 (400)
    4 x 100 free or back with 6 - 8 SDK off each wall and DPS
    - 1 & 2 back, 3 & 4 free

Warm down

Total: 3100 yards
  16. Workout 10/06/11

by , October 6th, 2011 at 08:07 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec scy

400 w/u (200 FR, 200 BK)

8 x 50 kick on :60

100 FR drill

2 times through (Pull 1st, swim 2nd):
    2 x 100 FR (dps/fast by 25) on 1:40
    2 x 100 FR (dps/fast by 50) on 1:20

100 drill IM order

400 FR with paddles
    (25 dps/25fast, 50/50, 75/75, 50/50)

8 x 25 on :30 FAST IM order

200 junk w/d

I made some more grape jelly this morning, then picked up some more supplies for the garden with my wife before heading out for a motorcycle ride with my new helmet. Was able to squeak in 65 chilly miles - just happy to be out on the bike for the first time in almost a month.

After helping some in the garden and getting dinner started, I was running late to the pool tonight and just was not all that motivated. I settled on a 400 theme for the evening, with some lower yardage sets with more rest than I am used to.

I noticed that on the main 100's set if I breathe every two strokes I was gassed by the end of the 100, but felt a little better if I could breathe every 3/4 strokes. For the pulls I held 1:08-1:10, and the swims I held 1:04-1:07 (really feeling slow on the last one). Focused on my catch and pull with the paddles.

I now will work through the weekend, and found out that the pool is closed Monday for Columbus day. Planning to juice some grapes tonight and use it to make more jelly this weekend. I also ordered that wine-making kit, which should be in next week (a special trial for my wife). Also, the AHL team in Albany has its first game Saturday night, so my son and I are going to head over after I get out of work. Be safe, all.
    Swim Workouts
  17. Hate swimming in hot water!! 10/06/11

by , October 6th, 2011 at 05:18 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Grr, they are heating the pools already!! Went at lunch to Meyers Park, hoping that it might be cooler than Trousdale, but no luck. At least it wasn't 86.

600 (100 free, 25 back/25 breast x 4)
    300 pull no bouy.
    Then everyone else got there.
    9 x 100; three on 1:30, 50 easy on a min, then three on 1:25, 50 easy on a min, and then three on 1:20. Swam the first 6 x 100 w/bouy, no paddles
    Main Set:
    50/100/150/200/300/200/150/100/50 freestyle on 1:20 base interval, with a 50 off stroke between each distance, except we did an extra 50 after the 300, and another one after the last 50. I started wearing my zoomers (not that I'm sure they actually do much other than boost my self confidence, and help off the walls) at the first 150, because Jennifer was zooming!! Geez - on the 100, I think she went sub 1:05 - which is crazy! for workout!! Wish I could do the same thing.
    Then, everyone else got out, and I did another 300 pull w/paddles.
    Total for the day: 4000SCY

**almost posted this as "I'm in hot water!!" but decided that would be trying to draw attention to myself!
    **supposed to swim my 10 miles tomorrow. We'll see - if the water is ridiculously hot, we may have to postpone this for another day.
    Noticed that my GTD today puts me at just over 400 miles for the year. 80% of the way there!!

Updated October 7th, 2011 at 09:24 AM by Celestial (New info on GTD)

18. Great DAMM Sprinty Workout, 10/06/11

by , October 6th, 2011 at 04:44 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today's was a great workout! Sets just up my alley AND I got people to race!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center noon workout
    Billy Glastetter coached

200ish warm up (got in late)

Transition set:
    12 x 50 on 1 min
    kick odds/drill evens mix strokes

3 Part Main set:

SET ONE:
    Build a 100 IM on the :30 base
    25 fly
    50 fly/back
    75 fly/ba/br
    100 IM
    ==> I did these all fly
    300 easy
    ==> something less than that

SET TWO:
    UN-build a 100 IM on the :30 base
    100 IM backwards
    75 br/ba/fly
    50 ba/fly
    25 fly
    ==>yes! too much fun to miss out!
    300 easy
    ==>some bits.

One more time build 100 IM on the :30 base
    ==> kick on back with fins;
    300 easy
    ==> 100 for me.

The End

What fun! I didn't feel very strong, being very sore and tired from those lunges and the swim cord, and then nutritionally unbalanced from my State Fair of Texas Corny Dog/Belgium Waffle (with Whipped Cream, Strawberries, and Powdered Sugar)/Fried Smores dinner. I stayed for 1/2 of the Dallas Summer Musical (West Side Story) and totally made our seat-mates happy by telling them we are not renewing next year (I think this was our 8th year!). She's been eyeing our seats for her collection. They have almost 2 entire rows and so they wanted our coveted Seats With No Row in Front. Excellent leg room. Hard to give them up, but next year's line up sucked so much that i'd rather just buy tix for the one show we might go to.

Next up: Swim meet on Sunday. I hear it's a crappy pool but that won't deter me. Fast swimmers still swim fast in crappy pools.

And just 'cause Speed asked so nicely, some thoughts on training to drop .2 seconds in the 50 free:

I find it hard to every "train" 100%. Partly because I can never FULLY recover. It is simply the time of my life where my energy is on work and the kids, so swimming to stay in shape is excellent, but training has been very, very difficult. How should I be training to get faster in a race, given such limiting parameters?

One thing Bobby suggested was to really focus on ONE great workout a week. In some ways, it's easier for distance swimmers (he used himself as an example training for Hawaii swims), because they can come in any day and do a set of 100's on an interval, holding xxx pace, adjusting reps, interval, and pace to suit that day. But for me, picking THAT day, THAT set, and really hammering it is going to be the key.
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -10/07/11

by , October 6th, 2011 at 03:35 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)

WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:45
    2 X 100 2:00
    4 X 50 1:00
    1 X 200 3:30
    4 X 100 1:45
    4 X 50 1:00

3 X 100 kick 2:30
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    1 X 100 swim

2 X 100-50 stroke/50 free- 2:00
    4 x 50 stroke 1:15
    Three rounds. Short break between rounds.

1 X 100 2:15
    1 X 150 2:15
    Free. Four rounds.
    100 will be easy/recovery, 150 will be fast.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday, Oct. 6, 2011 4:45am

by , October 6th, 2011 at 12:38 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    200 Free
    100 Kick
    200 Free Pull

8 x 50 @ :45
    2 each stroke in IMO

15 x 100 Free Pull
    • 3 @ 1:30
    • 3 @ 1:25
    • 3 @ 1:20
    • 3 @ 1:15
    • 3 @ 1:10
    I was able to hold 1:06 and 1:07s on these all the way through. Got down to 1:05 on the last 3

16 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00
    settled in to holding :49/:50 for each. I can't really stay aerobic kicking going much faster than this, and I would also risk cramping up as well which is no fun.

100 Free EZ
    3300 Yards