View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. I'm older than I thought I was - 09/26/11

by , September 26th, 2011 at 04:04 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Had this crazy idea to go twice today - well, I felt obligated to go twice, I really didn't feel like it. I should have listened to my body, because my second workout not only was a waste of time, now I'm so exhausted the rest of my day is most likely shot.

Morning Practice
    600 back/free
    400 reverse IM, 50 fly/back, 50 free
    16 x 50 kick on :50 (had to use zoomers)
    100 EZ
    3 x 300, 75 hard, 25 moderate on 4:15
    4 x 4 cycle speed play on :25
    9 x 100 pull on 1:20/25
    200 EZ
    Total: 5000
    Lunch Practice - got there a bit late, in the middle of a set
    2 x 100 on 1:25; 50 EZ, 3 x 100 on 1:20 50 EZ (held 1:10's)
    500, every 4th lap off stroke (breast)
    200 free followed by 50 kick; twice
    9 x 100, 2 free on 1:20, then IM on 1:40 - in theory. I wussed out & did 4 of the free, and the breast/free part on two of the IM's & got out
    Total: 2200
    Grand Total 7200

So I've learned two valuable, if sad lessons today.

1) I'm an old lady. Ten years ago I used to play 2-3 hours of tennis before swim practice, now I don't think that would happen. I might go swim after 2-3 hours of tennis - but only to float around.

2) Don't even think about doing two practices in one day if there is not at least 9-10 hours between the two of them.

I thought with my new job that oh, boy! I would get to see my old friends at lunch again - but I find their workouts now to be rather on the wimpy side, after having trained with the "kids" for 6 months now. And since I have paid my $70/month fee, if it is Mon, Wed or Fri, I am going to swim at 0530, whether I have the day off or not. If I need more exercise that day, I will pick something else besides swimming, like tennis or biking. I am not 23 any more. Sad but true. If my day off happens to fall on Tues or Thursday, I will sleep in & go swim with the lunch bunch, and if they have a Saturday practice I will swim with them, but unless it's raining (or 20 degrees outside!!) I will train with ATAC MWF for now. Besides, the lunch bunch are all triathletes, and have no interest in swim meets, anyway. It is, however, good to show up once in a while & check out how fast they are going - especially since Jennifer K is my yardstick. She is good for me - I think she races every single swim in practice. Which explains why she goes on a slower interval - she needs the rest. I have been doing this more myself, and I find that I am quite pleased with myself when I hold 1:10's or better on the 1:30. The goal, of course is to hold 1:10's on the 1:20, and eventually, to hold 1:06 or 7 on the 1:15. Putting it in print now. Goal by Dec 31st: hold under 1:10 on 1:20's for at least 8 x 100's. Goal before Spring Nat's hold 1:06 or 1:07 on 1:15's.

Wish me luck
  2. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/27/11

by , September 26th, 2011 at 02:32 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Today is our annual Birthday swim for our coach (me) I started this tradition when I turned 50 and hope to continue for as many years as I can. The swim is my age times hundreds on the 1:30. When I no longer can make the interval it will be over, no lowering the standards!

So...the workout today is:

61 X 100 1:30
    Swim Workouts
  3. Back To The Pool.... Finally!

by , September 26th, 2011 at 01:47 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    So, it's been a week and I haven't written anything. After last Monday's early am practice and a 10 mile spin, I went to work as normal... and only made it for an hour before getting physically sick and heading home. The next two days were exactly like that... ugh! I never get sick, but when I do.... There's nothing like being really, really sick to make you appreciate how healthy you normally are. And, it takes absolutely no time to feel lost again when trying to return to the pool. Even now - a full week later - I'm still feeling sluggish and slow (and a bit weak) in the water. But... time to get back at it. After all short course meters season is getting started.

This morning's workout was supposed to be a full 3800 yards, but when the coach was late, I decided that if he didn't show, I would "coach" the workout for everyone else. So... no actual warm-up for me (which is the 400 yards I'm lacking). As I was about to get everyone started, the coach arrived, so I did the first 2 of the 100s as a warm-up. Here's what we did:

200 Warm-Up
    4 x 100 as 25 Kick / 50 Back / 25 Kick on 2:00
    4 x 200 Free on 3:30
    1 x 100 Free EZ on 2:00
    3 x 200 Free on 3:20
    2 x 200 Free on 3:10
    1 x 200 Free FAST on 3:00 (did 2:49)

400 Cool-Down
    Total Yards (for me) - 3400

I guess I can't really complain with holding a 1:30 per 100 pace too much, but I was faster than that before getting sick and - face it - today's swimming was pretty disheartening. BUT... by the last "FAST" 200, I realized that I was moving my head all over the place while swimming and so I really concentrated on keeping my head still. What happened? My 200s on 2:59s turned into a 200 on 2:49 - without a noticeable difference in effort! Guess I forgot to do a "little" thing that makes a big difference in my swimming. YAY! Glad I remembered that before tomorrow's distance day extravaganza.

To catch you up, my swim portion of the Sprint Tri relay I was part of right before I got sick (within hours....) was a 500 meter swim in 8:40 (done in a snaking fashion in a 50 meter pool). Not my best time (and I was really hoping for faster), but it is what it is. And, I did have to pass several swimmers in front of me - and even did a three-wide pass of two guys coming down the 400-450 lane. Woo-Hoo! Plus... flip turns to the side I'm used to while going under the lane line was no issue.... flipping to the opposite side (every other end of the pool).... let's just say that was a bit challenging.

So.... that's where that is. I must say that it was quite a learning experience. And, I got to see what other people are riding, what equipment they have on their bikes, how bikes are set up, and what transitions are like - all good preparation for the Aquabike racing I want to do next summer. Now.... it's time to start that pesky training thing.....

Enjoy your swims today!
    Swim Workouts
  4. Mon Sep 26th, 2011 SCY

by , September 26th, 2011 at 01:00 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Sep 26th, 2011 SCY

Did not train on Saturday or Sunday
    Friday we went to Lubbock to visit Tess,
    Saw the Palo Duro Canyon on Saturday
    Drove home Sunday & went to the CAVERNS OF SONORA

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
    UT, main pool scy
    6:00 to 7:30 dove in at 6:01
    wore Jammer
    swam with Mike Todd & Chris
    beside Jim, Kellie, Teneille & Larry

3 x 300

Main SET: scy

4 x 25 fast on 1:00

4 x 100 fr on 1:05 made it

4 x 25 fast on 1:00

4 x 200 fr on 2:30 4 SDKs off each turn

4 x 25 fast

assigned 4 x 300 pull on 3:15
    did: made 1, skipped a 50 in 2 & 3, made 4

20 x 75 on 1:15 done 3 mod, 1 strong
    5 rounds of 4
    R1) K
    R2) fl bk br
    R3) K
    R4) bk br fr
    R5) K

Upcoming Meets

Sat Nov 12 - Sun 13, 2011
    2011 WMST November SCM Classic

Sat Dec 3rd & Sun Dec 4th
    2011 South Central SCM Regional InvitationalSan Antonio, TX
    Swim Workouts
  5. Monday, Sept. 26, 2011 5:00am

by , September 26th, 2011 at 10:57 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Wow, this morning came really quick!! I got back into Wenatchee airport @ 11:40pm, and had to do a few things at home one I actually got in the house. Didn't get to bed till almost 1:00am! 3 1/2 hours later...BEEP BEEP BEEP!!

Time to go to the pool again! Wouldn't miss it for almost anything.

Warmup (very easy wakeup/stretch out from meet aftermath):
    400 Free
    400 Free Pull
    200 Kick
    200 Free

Time to get rockin' again:
    8 x 125 Free
    2 @ 1:55 (1:31s)
    2 @ 1:50 (1:30, 1:29)
    2 @ 1:45 (1:27, 1:26)
    2 @ 1:40 (1:24, 1:20)

1 x 500 Free Pull strong (dodging 2 other swimmers who got in with me)
    went 5:30 felt good

8 x 25 Free @ :30 Fast legs

100 EZ

3000 Yards

I'm not one to back off too much just cause I did a meet this weekend. I've still got a lot on my plate coming up soon, and don't want to dissappoint!
  6. Monday workout

by , September 26th, 2011 at 10:40 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Power hour format. Swam w/ Dave B next to Dave M, Kent and Roger. No drag suit. Pool temp about 85.

Fun weekend! After swimming Saturday, I coached my son's soccer team. They played to a draw but we were down a player for half the game. Two of my best players are injured leaving us short a player. The other coach was very accomodating (he played 10 v 10) until he realized he wasn't going to blow us out. After halftime, he put all his players in leaving us short. Lots of players on my team stepped up to keep us in the game and we were actually winning with about 5 minutes to go.

I played pickup soccer at my church Sunday afternoon. Nobody managed to hurt themselves for a change. That was good but the running wears me out. I need to find a recovery day.

400 Warm up

5 times through:
    * 100 fr - 1:20 (1:10-1:15)
    * 100 IM - 1:40 (1:20-1:25)
    50 Easy

5 Times through:
    * 100 fr - 1:15 (1:10s)
    * 100 k - 1:45

5 Times through:
    * 75 fl/25 fr - 1:30
    * 75 br/25 fr - 1:30
    50 Easy

5 Times through:
    * 100 Pull
    * 100 Kick
    * Keep ahead of 1:30 pace (Finished about :20 ahead)

200 Cool down

(4700 Total)
    Swim Workouts
  7. Chemicals were way off

by , September 26th, 2011 at 08:26 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I knew I was in trouble the first lap when it was difficult to breath, then the cotton mouth came.
    Not a good day to do too much swimming.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    200 Free Easy
    8x50 from dive 20 yard sprints rest easy alt fly/free actually did ok on these because I took plenty of rest
    2x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    100 Free EASY

Total 2500 yards
  8. Day 2 of 2 at Mesa!

by , September 25th, 2011 at 10:45 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, i'm back home now!

Here's how I did today:

100 fly 1:10.3
    50 back 33.8 or 33.9 can't remember
    50 fly 31.5

The 100 fly was certainly the best of the three. I swam all 3 events within 30 minutes, maybe less. I was so mindblown after the 100 fly that I almost missed my 50 back heat!

I was about 1 second off my best times in all three events. And holy crap there was only 1 heat of 400 IM between the first event and 1 heat of 200 breast before the 50 fly! Well, I debated skipping the 50 back to get more rest, but in the end I thought I could grind it for an extra top ten time, but I had to be really careful not to get shut out out of 2 top tens! I think all my times as they stand will make it; they would have in the past 3 years (2008, 09, 10 top ten results).

Edit: I forgot my insights. There are times when you are simply not as fast as others, and today was that day. I can't point out any glaring technical elements; my turns were businesslike and solid, breathing was fine, just not so fast. I'm not disappointed, because it was good effort and I wasn't slacking off! But I simply didn't go my fastest.

Next up:
    Most likely i'll pick one of these themes for our DAMM 1-day SCM meet:

1. 50/100 breast
    2. 4 x 50's. This is still a hard one since the 50 fly/free and 50 back/breast are nearly back to back events.

There is an awesome Chinatown in Mesa at Main & Dobson. I suggest you walk inside the air conditioned mall area and then go see where to eat. They have Chinese, Thai, Vietnamse, and sit-down and fast-food places. Plus a big grocery store. Best of all, at least 2 places have boba tea!!!! I got a lychee slushee with boba today. And braised hamhocks. Yum! Not as good as mom's, but real chinese! Chowsh got sesame chicken; her combo was a better deal because it came with soup and an egg roll. And speaking of eggs, she kept asking me if I was going to eat my brown egg. So I let her have it!

Now I am home! Ahhhh it feels so good to be in my own house. My girls were so happy to see me! I ate potato chips, flamin' hot cheetos, 2 cheese sticks, a muffin, and a sprinkle of jelly beans for dinner. Definately not working out tomorrow!

It took the entire plane ride (in crappy coach!) to do Sodoku #291 but I totally conquered!!!
  9. 9/25/11: New England Masters 5/10K Championships

by , September 25th, 2011 at 10:16 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I completed my first 10K swim today in Coventry, Rhode Island, at the 5th annual Flat River Reservoir Champion's Challenge. There were just over 40 total participants swimming in either the 5K or 10K events, with a mix of folks donning wetsuits or not. I choose not to, and was happy since the water temp was a warm 68 degrees. I posted a picture of the course recently, but essentially we started on the south end of the lake, swam north for 1 mile, then went east for 1/2 mile, round a buoy and back for 5K, with those doing the 10K make 2 laps.

The race was started shortly after 9am, with all swimmers entering the water together, but the USMS registered swimmers in the 10K race starting 5 seconds later (so that the results can be certified). I was in the later wave, and found that since the field was not large there was no problem getting out from the start and through the pack.

I found myself near the front after the first mile, and looked back as I did some backstroke to stretch out my shoulders and found that a pack of 4-5 folks were bunched in behind me. No one was really interested to take over the point, so I keep churning. After we made the first right to the short buoy our group broke up a bit and I stopped for some hydration from my kayaker, Bob, who made the trip down from Maine to paddle with me.

I settled into a grove behind 2-3 folks through the turnaround and for the next mile or so. After another hydration break, I finished the last 1/4 mile of the 5K. All of a sudden a swimmer was headed towards us - I though it was a late starter but Bob confirmed it was the lead guy going for his second lap. I caught up to the group at the starting buoy and was surprised that most of them finished for the 5K, while I turned around for the 10K! haha - I guess it helped to pace with them as my split was 1hr 18min and change.

My right calf cramped up at the turnaround, so I was slowed down a bit to stretch it out. I tried a blackberry goo shot, which was just plain gross. For the rest of the race my right leg was bothering me, but I decided to get in a cycle of 40 hard stokes followed by 100 long/strong. It worked well back to the 1 mile marker, but my goggles kept fogging up so I was hampered there. I increased my hydration to 20 minute intervals, and decided after the far turnaround to try some food. One fruit cup later, and the way to sweet cherries I knew that was a bad idea! I keep moving and was not able to gain much on a gentleman in front of me, or lose ground from the guy behind.

The last 1/4 mile was tough; my arms were shot, right leg bothering me, and I was starting to feel nauseous from my failed fielding attempts. Bob was a great encouragement as always, cheering my on to finish as strong as possible. I came in at an official time of 2 hours, 46 minutes, 12 seconds. Not to shabby for my first marathon distance swim. I was spent after the race, and even got sick, but we were treated to a great post-race lunch and a chocolate bar shaped like a swimmer as an award.

Bob wondered what I thought about during the swim. I employed some counting (forward and backward), but I used much of the time praying for family and friends and also reciting the books of the New Testament in order by book (my son had a test at school this week on these). The end of the swim was tough, but I found that by focusing on these, I was able to block out the pain and exhaustion that I was feeling. It took me about 15 minutes to start thinking clearly again and try something to eat (Bob was kind enough to give me a shoulder rub).

I will post the final results once they are available, but I was able to average 2.25 mph for the race. Ray Gandy and the folks in RI put on a great swim, where safety was the number one concern. There were four buoys dividing the lake, two jet skiers patrolling as well as some other boats, and every swimmer had a kayaker to keep an extra set of eyes on the water. In addition, we had a great feast set up after the swim and a really energized feeling from all of the racers, family/friends, and volunteers that came together to make this event happen.

I never swam more than a 500yd as an age-grouper, and after just 2 years back in the water I am trying these longer distances with the hopes of tackling the English Channel in the next 6 years or so. Time will tell on that, but I am very thankful that the Lord has blessed me with the ability to swim, and has surrounded me with a loving family and friends to encourage me, even though sometimes I think I might be crazier than they think I am!
  10. Sunday, Sept. 25, 2011 Mesa Meet Results

by , September 25th, 2011 at 07:42 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Wow...this was a quick one! I didn't have any idea the meet would get done as quick as it did. Apparently they only had just under 70 people in the meet, and from the looks of it, a lot were MIA on Day 2. Oh well, that just left more room for me to swim fast, or at least attempt to!

800 Free - 9:26.85 (masters best by 28 seconds, also LMSC age group record) - this is one record I didn't already have, so I was happy with this.
    I felt really good going out in the race, and was feeling strong through the 400-500 point. I don't know my splits yet, but I'm guessing my 400 was around 4:38 or so. This was a nice swim overall. Helps that it was 1st race of the day.

Had a 2nd warmup period here, that was roughly 20-25 minutes or so, and this was my only resting period for the remainder of the meet. Fort would have not been happy at this meet!

200 Free: 2:08.55 (0.24 seconds slower that my best). Felt strong, missed a couple of turns by getting to close and "jamming" on the wall. I have this one videod for YouTube, and will get it on sometime Monday.
    [nomedia=""]9-25-11 Mesa, Arizona 200 SCM Free - YouTube[/nomedia]

400 IM: 5:22ish Ugh!!! 14 seconds slower than my best, but it had 2 heats of 100 Flys between my 200 Free and this one. Lucky for PWB...he didn't swim the 200 Free like I did!
    I was planning to challenge Patrick on the fly portion of the race, and was with him to the 75...after that I let him have it, and did a 100 Back cooldown during the race. Not wanting to get "chicked", I had to semi-push the breaststroke to catch her, and then had to work the freestyle to stay ahead of her.

50 Fly - 29.50 This was just a go for it race. I put everything I could into it, and was about 0.7 seconds slower than my best. The turn was bad because it was hard to judge the turn on the low bulkhead.

400 Free - 4:36.9 (4 seconds off my best time, but 3 seconds faster than last March).
    I felt pretty good overall, considering what all I had gone through in the past hour and a half. Probably could've pushed it a little more, but that's in the past now.

I had a successful meet, got to meet up with PWB, Debaru, Chowmi, Paul Smith, and I'm sure a handful of others. Got my butt kicked hardcore in most of my events, mostly by Sean Justice, and the guy they call "Starbucks". He only lapped my once in the 800, and zero times in the 400 Free (though it was close). Lots of fast swimmers in the meet. It was very humbling to not be at the top of the rankings. I had a lot of fun, and look forward to my next adventure outside the Northwest in the future. Where will I go, I don't know yet. Any offers for hosting?

Updated September 26th, 2011 at 04:25 AM by jaadams1 (added video link 200 Free)

Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  11. Little Red Lighthouse Swim

Yesterday I had a wonderful swim in the Hudson at nycswim’s Little Red Lighthouse 10K. It had rained heavily the day before, and more rain was forecast for race day, so I was worried that this race would be cancelled, but it went off without a hitch. We all gathered in the early morning hours at West Harlem Piers Park, at 130th Street on the Hudson River, for race check-in. There were nearly 300 swimmers entered in the race, and we were divided into 12 waves for the start. Although this is one of NYCSwim's longest running races, it was my first year doing the swim, and I ended up really glad that I signed up for the event this year.

There was lots of time for chatting with friends old and new as we waited around for the boats that would take us upriver to the race start. I saw teammates from all 3 NYC groups I swim with (TNYA, AGUA, and CIBBOWS), plus I finally got to meet pendaluft from the forums, who is a great guy. After a bit we got some race instructions—stay to the right of the orange buoys, turn in at the yellow buoy--and waves 1-3 loaded onto the watertaxi to be ferried up to the start. I was in wave 9, so I lounged around with some friends to await the boat’s return to pick us up. We watched the tide turn in the river from flood to ebb (the race was scheduled to start sometime after the river’s current began running in the direction that would help swimmers.) After a while the water taxi returned, we got on board, and then got a preview of the course as it brought us to the start 6+ miles upriver.

I downed a last bit of food and juice, put some lubricant around my suit straps to avoid chafing, did my inhalers, then packed clothes and flip-flops into my bag (we were allowed to check 2 bags at this race, one before we got on the boat and one right before we jumped off the boat into the river). When my heat was called I jumped in, swam to the two buoys marking the start, then found I had to swim steadily back upriver to avoid being carried past them—it definitely looked like we would have a good current with us! They did a quick countdown and we were off.

I had been looking forward to swimming this course ever since it was announced, and the boat ride up confirmed that it was as gorgeous a stretch a river as I’d thought. On the western bank is the [ame=""]Palisades Interstate Park[/ame], which features a long stretch of majestic wooded cliffs. On the east is the lovely Riverdale section of the Bronx. Two miles into the course the Harlem River spills into the Hudson at Spuyten Duyvil, affording a brief view up the Harlem under the arching Henry Hudson and railroad bridges that span that river. Four miles into the race we would pass under the magnificent George Washington Bridge, and by the Little Red Lighthouse that sits at its base (and lends its name to the swim).

That's the Little Red Lighthouse--emphasis on little--at the base of the rightmost bridge stanchion.

After a packed season of racing, and just a week before my Ederle swim, I was determined to take in all these sights fully. And that’s exactly what I did. I enjoyed swimming strongly for stretches, then relaxed with some backstroke or breaststroke while appreciating the views. I was in a steady stream of swimmers the whole way, but the course never felt crowded—it just seemed like a grand day out on the river in the company of a few hundred other kindred spirits. It was so cool to see so many swimmers stretched out in front of and behind me me—it was as if for this one day swimmers ruled the river!

With so many separate waves in the water, I was continually passing or being passed by others. I stopped and chatted a bit with Rondi, who had caught up with me from wave 12 about halfway through the race, then swam a bit with Dave, who had also caught up with me from a later wave. (See his blog post on the race!) Whenever I saw someone stopped I would pause and exchange a few words, and I found there were a fair number of other swimmers out on the course who were also taking breaks and just appreciating the views from the river. The sun even came out midway through the swim. It was definitely a great day to be swimming in the Hudson!

Too soon we reached Riverbank State Park—home of my beloved 50m pool—and I knew the swim was almost at an end. I spotted the yellow buoy that we were to round before the finish. It was significantly to the left of the others, and I knew from speeding by the other buoys in the river how swiftly we were moving with the current. So to reach this buoy, which was about at 11 o’clock in relation to me, I angled in somewhere between 9 and 10 o’clock—ie I was swimming nearly perpendicular to shore. That ended up being about right, though, and by taking a more direct route to the finish I probably ended up ahead of about a dozen people who had been ahead of me in the river but who took a wider line around the final buoy. Funny how those competitive instincts kicked in at the finish!

I ended up finishing in 1:37:05, 67th out of 240 finishers, 21st woman, and 1st in my age group. (You can see from that time how very current-assisted the swim was—it’s less than half the time it took me to swim a 10K 2 weeks ago at Coney Island!) There was plenty of time and space to socialize after the race, and it was great to see so many friends, both those who had swum and those who came out to cheer and support. NYCSwim once again did a great job with the race. It was indeed a wonderful day!
  12. Saturday Workout

by , September 25th, 2011 at 11:32 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at HSA w/ George, Andrew and Dave. No drag suit.

Was pretty tired Saturday morning. By the time the pull came around, my arms were shot. Everyone else did an extra round of 400 pull/ 4 x 100 free. I had to get to my son's soccer game so I cut out early.

200 Fr
    100 K w/fins
    200 IM
    100 K w/fins
    200 Fr

4 x 200 Fr - 2:45 (Descended 2:35 to 2:25)
    4 x 100 K w/Fins
    8 x 50 IM Order - :50

4 x 200 IM - 3:20 (Descended 2:55 to 2:40)
    4 x 100 K w/Fins
    8 x 50 Free - Odds 1:00 Easy; Evens :45 Hard (Held :30)

400 Pull - 5:20 (4:55)
    4 x 100 fr - 1:20 (1:15s)

200 Cool Down

(5100 total)
    Swim Workouts
  13. Saturday, 9/24/11

by , September 25th, 2011 at 10:26 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Warm up (1050)
    200 swim - 100 kick - 300 scull/drills - 100 swim
    4 x 50/1:00 ds

- free, went 45-43-42-41
    6 x 25/10 sr fast
    - did fly-back-free x 2

Main Set: (1200)
    3 x 100/1:40 strong
    - went 1:32-1:33-1:31
    3 x 100/1:45 smooth
    - went 1:37-1:34-1:35
    extra 15 sec rest
    2 x 100/1:30 very strong
    - went 1:30, 1:31,
    extra 25 sr
    2 x 100/1:50 smooth
    - went 1:40, 1:37
    1 x 100/1:25 FAST
    - went 1:25
    - extra 35 sr
    1 x 100/1:55 smooth
    - went 1:45

Kick: (450)
    6 x 75/15-20 sr numbers 1,3,5 are fast
    - did this with fins didn't get any times and just guessed at rest time of about 15-20 sec
    - did 1-2 flutter w/board, 3-4 dolphin on back, 5-6 flutter on back

Sprints with fins: (750)
    12 x 50/1:30 as fast as possible
    - did these as 4 x fly-back-free
    - times for fly 37-38, back 38-39, free 34-35

Warm down (400)
    2 x 200 free or back/4:00

Total: 3700 meters
  14. Little Red

NYC Swim's Little Red Lighthouse has long been one of my perennial favorites. The course continues to evolve, but today's 10k swims very much like the 7.8 mile swim of a decade ago... that is to say; fast. Little Red has gone from a "butt slide" entry on smooth rocks to a familiar leap off of a NY Water Taxi. Last year's swim started from the 79th Street Boat Basin north to the Inwood Canoe Club.... crossing under the George Washington Bridge. This was going to be a tough event to top, but today's event did... and by a large margin. The check-in/finish area had convenient and plentiful free parking available; the park is just across the street from an excellent supermarket so last minute provisions are readily available; plenty of grass to relax and stretch out on; easy boarding of the Water Taxi and exiting onto the dock; and a course that started about 4 miles north of the GWB. Scenic highlights were passing by Spuytin Duyvel and under the GWB (2nd time this week for me). The course was well marked and patrolled by kayaks and motor boats, and the generous timeline allowed plenty of time to socialize... and with over 300 registered swimmers, a good opportunity to meet and greet out of town swimmers, many who traveled from afar specifically for this event.

I was happy to see a good number of younger swimmers present. Their absence in USMS sanctioned events is an unfortunate technicality that I would like to see change. I took the swim out hard, and had the good fortune of meeting up with a few friends along the way. I swam with (behind) Rondi for five or ten minutes, and then came up next to Janet. We synched up for a bit, including a perfect synchro transition into backstroke under the GWB without missing a beat! Then Emma came by and I swam with her for a bit... we swam a good stretch of this event together last year. Kayaker Teddy came by to say hello and point the way to the next buoy, and Capt John gave the final direction of "start heading in" to the finish.

I hope this LRLH course is a keeper!

Thank you to all the staff and volunteers at NYC SWIM for making this an awesome event!
  15. Day 1 of 2 at Mesa!

by , September 24th, 2011 at 06:09 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Done with Day 1!

Here's the skinny:

Scratch 100 free
    50 free: 27.7
    100 back 1:11.9

I am glad I scratched the 100 free to have a really fresh, really peppy 50 free. That is a very solid time for me, a shoe-in top ten and check it off my list for SCM.

The 100 back was good and bad. Overall time seems slow, in my opinion I am capable of swimming it much faster. The analysis was that my 1st two turns were good, only the 3d was the proverbial pop up early. So I have a good start, and 2 good turns with long underwaters to the breakout. Well, I suppose you have to start with 2 turns before you can conquer all 3. I don't know what my splits were.

The 50 is right in there and solid for an early season/non-season culminating swim. No technical errors but can always be stronger, faster reaction, etc etc. It was a very business-like solid 50. But not awe inspired or jaw dropping wow-who-was-that kind of swim.

The 100 back was a great experience. I am so glad that I scratched the 100 free, because then even with the 50 free, I wasn't dead tired at the start. I felt comfortable on my back, not completely helpless and that I just wanna flip on my tummy! feeling. For the first time I started getting really nitpicking about it, like I knew I could and should go deeper on the UWs, and that I don't have the RACE SPEED endurance at the 3rd turn. The other thing was that I was totally out of breath, that feeling you hear about when runners say the "aren't running efficiently" and that was exactly the case today. By the last lap, my arms weren't tired at all, but I had "nothing left". This I attribute entirely to NOT SWIMMING BACKSTROKE AT RACE SPEED enough in workout, therefore when I tried to do it in a real race, I didn't have the efficiency and precise timing down to unleash the power that I have. My arms still aren't tired.

Here is how i'm going to incorporate what I learned today into my workouts:

I need to get up to race speed BUT WITHOUT KILLING MYSELF OR WEARING MYSELF DOWN to the point that I have to take 3 days off. I think doing lots of 25's (like Fort!!!) is the way to go. So for example,

8 x 100's
    100 strong
    4 x 25 5 secs
    4 x 25 10 secs
    4 x 25 15 secs
    easy swim recovery....
    repeat, with fins
    Goals are at 100 time on 1st set;
    Goals are under 100 time on 2nd set.

Go on an interval with plenty of rest, like 2:30 or even 3 minutes.

*I don't think I need to do a continuous 100 fast in workout to get to a faster 100 back in a meet.

*The goal isn't how fast you can go with back to back 100's, but rather how fast can you swim all 4 x 25's for ONE 100 fast? And that would be, especially the LAST 25!!!

*NOT a conditioning set, it's to get up at race speed with the timing of your strokes you'd actually use in a race. Get it so you are swimming like a well-oiled racing machine!

*Edit insert: There is a difference between "training to win practice" and "training to win a race". I'm certainly in the latter category. So I really need to do this type of set, perhaps around what everyone else is doing, in order to get the precise type of conditioning that I need. For 4 lengths of the pool. In a meet.
    Having a great time with chowsh. She wore one of the two Yingfa suits I gave her. She did really good! Her technique is quite good! I just think she needs some weight bearing good ol' fashion strength training, of which she does none. She went 37 in the 50 free and 46 in the 50 breast. Tomorrow she will be one of the officials.
    We went to Trader Joes and I got the girls a box of 18-flavor jellybeans. Couldn't get a lot; have to carry it on back home!
    NExt up: Day 2!
    100 fly
    50 back
    50 fly

Updated September 24th, 2011 at 06:15 PM by chowmi

16. Encouraged

by , September 24th, 2011 at 02:31 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Dropped in on the senior kids practice yesterday. They were having a light practice after a week of hard work, so I picked the right time. I would not say it was necessary easy as the practice had a good bit of sprinting involved. What made me feel good was that the coach made a point to tell the swimmers to watch how much power I had when were practicing mid-pool 25s.

Anyway, here is the workout we did:

300 easy swim

400 Reverse I.M. - Swim, kick, drill, swim

100 free drill

12 x 25 mid-pool 25s (working turns)

300 free pull

12 x 25 - first 6 were 12.5 hard, 12.5 easy, last 6 were build to a sprint

8 x 50 with fins on 2:00 - 25 underwater/25 back

100 easy

2200 SCY

Son had a cross country meet which was followed by an open 5k. Decided to do the 5k as a workout. No way I could race this one after using my legs as much as I did yesterday. Anyway, I ran at an 8:33 pace per mile which is fine with me at the point in the game. If the weather is decent next weekend, I think I might try taking Friday off and see if I can run at around an 8:00 per mile pace.
  17. Another roll for the dispenser... Sept 23, 1961

by , September 24th, 2011 at 03:46 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol 5:30-6:45pm
    Coach Janine
    I was getting the lack of water blues, so I showed up for practice.
    Warm 2x100Fr

6x50 Kick w/Mono on back on 1:00 (500)
    Pyramid (2600/3100)
    50 Fl/Bk
    150 cool
    3300 scy

I was sick most of this week, in addition to the Water Polo barrage, I only got 2 days in.
    The Seniors sang Happy Birthday to me during the pyramid set,
    that meant a lot to me, since I stayed home sick and didn't get to have a little special lunch with my co-workers.
    So now I'm off to the 50-54 aged cheese group, plus its gonna
    really look interesting going to a couple of USA meets.
  18. Block Bliss, Friday, Sept. 23

by , September 23rd, 2011 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason:

-- The blocks were in at Mason, , so I threw out my planned workout and did fast race pace swims off the blocks. I was so anxious that I had to force myself to warm up first!

Warm up:

600 various
    4 x 50 single arm fly
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins
    4 x 50 burst 15 + cruise (2 free, 2 dolphin)
    50 EZ

Speed Work:

6 x 25 fly off the blocks @ 100 pace + 25 cruise back
    -- working on # kicks to the 15 & breakouts
    -- 11-12 kicks is safest for 100 pace depending on depth of start
    -- took my time on these

100 EZ

2 x 25 AFAP backstroke from blocks
    -- high 13, 14
    -- cramped on 2nd one
    -- 25 EZ after each and float around
    -- not as fond of backstroke starts in practice b/c my feet are in a different position than at meets (toes above gutter so I don't slip)

100 EZ

2 x 50 fast from blocks + 200 EZ
    -- did fly-back
    -- went mid-high 29 on first one @ 100 IM pace
    -- second one Coach Cheryl (who was working out in the next lane) joined me. I went low 29 and she went high 29. Though she rarely competes, she is very speedy.

3 x 50 off blocks
    -- breaststroke start + cruise back
    -- legs tired, so decided to stop starts

50 EZ

8 x 25 free w/paddles & parachute
    -- Coach Cheryl also tried the parachute and like it b/c it forced her to sprint to avoid sinking.

100 EZ

Total: 2850

No, I did not use fins from the block! Though I have seen USAS teams do this. I was pretty happy with my efforts. As I recall, I took my last 100 IM out in 28.7, so this was a good practice time with a regular suit. I may drag out my B70 and use that off the blocks next week. From now on, everything on Friday is off the blocks + mega rest. So psyched!

I did all my starts today "race club style," i.e., like the one adopted successfully by Water Rat at Auburn. To my surprise, despite the slingshot, I was getting through the hole very well until the end. I'm just not sure if the arms swooping from the side thing makes me slower off the blocks. Will try my usual start next week to compare.

I'm liking my schedule the last two weeks:
    M = speed + weights
    T = aerobic + hypoxic
    W = lactate
    Th = weights
    F = speed
    -- The only flaw was not getting yoga in so far.
    I want to get one team practice and one bikram session in this weekend.

My only slight peeve of the day was that after getting an amazing unprecedented night's sleep on Wed., I slept not a wink last night. Just tossed and turned. No idea what happened there.
    Swim Workouts
  19. 500 set Friday - 09/23/11

by , September 23rd, 2011 at 04:07 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Swam a bit longer today because I didn't get in hardly anything yesterday due to rain. Planned on going at 0530 today, but lightening kept me away. Swam w/the lunch bunch & tried to calculate the amount of effort I was expending, keeping it at 70-80% throughout & checking my HR. Of course, I kinda forget to check until 5-6 secs goes by, so I don't know how accurate it is, but mostly I was in the 110-120 range at what I figure is about 80% effort (I was able to talk in 2-3 word comments between intervals if necessary.) This workout took forever, because the lunch bunch is very chatty between sets!!

500 S/P/K (1500)
    12 x 75 (2 swim, one kick one 1:15 & 1:30)
    5 x 100 (underwater/fly/back/breast/kick for first 25's) on 1:40
    5 x 100 pull (1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:25, 1:30) - held 1:10's, best 1:08
    4 x 125 IM, rotate 50 stroke on 2:00
    2 x 250 breast/free by 50's 30 sec rest
    4 x 150 on 2:10 (held 1:53-55)
    100 easy
    10 x 50 kick w/zoomers on :50
    500 breast/free

Total: 6000 SCY - of which I did 2600 on my own (first 1500 & last 1100)

Planning on swimming about 20,000 on Oct 8th - the equivalent, I suppose of the Swim the Suck, which I will not be able to go to after all - but I do want to get in the 10 miles to see how I do. Of course I won't have the current to help me out, so it will take longer. Interestingly enough, the thing that has me wondering, is how I will do with my goggles for 4.5 hours - I get pretty tired of them after 90 minutes!
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/26/11

by , September 23rd, 2011 at 02:55 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:20
    5 X 100 1:40
    4 X 75 1:10
    4 X 50 descend :50

2 X 200 kick 4:30
    8 X 50 kick :55
    1 X 100 swim

20 X 50 1:05
    Five of each stroke IM order

8 X 150 free 2:10
    Swim 100 moderate pace/50 fast