View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 02.24.12 - Friday Workout

by , February 24th, 2012 at 09:38 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave B and Dave C today. Lightning lit up a cloud about 40 miles south of us and delayed the pool opening. Other Dave didn't have time to stick around. Brought my camera for some video. Dave B and I did some 100s on 1:10. Dave C declined (good move... they hurt). Wore my Nike jammer. Pool temp ~85.

SCY

400 Warm up

6 x 50 - :45
    1:30 Rest
    5 x 100 - 1:10 (1:07, 1:10, 1:11, 1:12, 1:07) Had to kick it in hard to make 5:50 but I manage to make it.
    100 Easy

Did about 3 50's worth of Breast stroke. Here's the video:

Hard 50 Br: http://youtu.be/5BqwkjWjbgI
    Did this from a dive in about :35. Focused on keeping elbows higher. My head seems to be in a better, more neutral position but it pops up before my first breath. Finally figured that out later.

Easier 50 Br: http://youtu.be/lkD8yiMB62M
    Tried to get more video of my turns. Head still popping up.

Just a pushoff: http://youtu.be/7OAHFCpu2Ug
    Dave coached me through my head popping up. I think I got it on this try.

Comments/Suggestions very welcome! Thanks Dave B for the camera work!

50 Cool down

(1500 Total - way too short but the lightning delay limited what we could do)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Happy IMs

This morning I kept my promise to myself to do a longer IM set this week. I had two swim buddies join me (although they stuck with freestyle on the set)—it was nice that Bill and Mark showed up at the same time today so that didn’t have to do a double workout to swim with them both! It was another foggy morning, and there was a brief rain squall during the kick set. I love the outdoor swimming, whatever the weather! Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200d/s)

4 x 100 (25k / 25s / 25d / 25 build), RIM order
    8 x 50 choice (25 build, 12.5 fast, 12.5 easy) @ 1:10
    I got these two warmup sets from one of Mallory Mead’s workouts—I substituted my own main set though.

IM set
    8 x 200: 2 @ 3:45, 2 @ 3:40, 2 @ 3:35, 2 @ 3:30
    Odds = FR easy-moderate [3:18, 3:20, 3:19, 3:28]
    Evens = IM desc [3:35, 3:31, 3:30, 3:30]
    These intervals weren’t easy but I was really loving the feeling of working my IMs hard today—I felt so tired yet so exuberant on that last 200!

200 easy FR > 200 fast IM kick pacman
    200 easy FR
    50 fast FL kick / 150 easy FR
    50 fast FL kick / 50 fast BK kick / 100 easy FR
    50 fast FL kick / 50 fast BK kick / 50 fast BR kick / 50 easy FR
    200 fast IM kick
    I did this set solo—lost my swim buddies after the 8 200s.

600 warmdown

During the kick set I started walking with the guy in the next lane—I had noticed him earlier in the week doing breaststroke at my freestyle pace. He said that he was a longtime area resident, but hadn’t been a pool regular until this year—previously he had swum in the gulf year-round. My eyes popped at that—I’d been looking for local OW swim buddies but haven’t had much luck finding folks down here who will swim in the gulf in the winter. We made some tentative plans to swim tomorrow morning—hope that works out!

The other good news is that I made it to Alabama and back without being swept away by a tornado—the weather was pretty sketchy on the drive up, and on the radio I heard warnings for adjacent counties. But I stayed safe, AND got a good southern lunch—bbq, butter beans, turnips, hush puppies, and a slice of lemon-cheese seven-layer cake! And I feel virtuous too, because I passed up my mom’s offer to send the rest of the cake back with me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Snow + 4000 yards

by , February 24th, 2012 at 07:54 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Winter returns to Southeast Wisconsin today; here are some pics from our street.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb24_1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	6798 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb24_2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	6799
    These cell-phone shots from my car don't do justice to the actual sight itself, which was really a winter wonderland... a thick, wet, sticky snow covered everything when we awoke this morning.

Here was the workout at the Y; I did the 3 x 300 set as a test to figure out my threshold pace. And I realized that I really like doing 300s; very challenging!

Warm-up (600 SCY):
    100 Free, EZ
    50 kick board*
    50 side kick (12)
    50 kick board
    50 side kick (6)
    50 kick board
    50 side kick (6+3)
    50 kick board
    50 back kick, no board*
    100 free w/ fins
    [*all kick drills in the warm-up were with short fins]

Main sets (3000):

20 x 50 on 1:00 (:40-:43)
    2-minutes rest
    3 x 300 on 5:30 (4:30; 4:33; 4:37)
    1:30 rest
    1000 free (moderate pace = 1:42/100y)
    100 breast

Cool-down:
    200 free (EZ)
    200 kick (50 Board, side 12, side 6, back; all w/ fins)

Total = 4000 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, Feb. 24

by , February 24th, 2012 at 04:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

45 minutes slow, mostly continuous swim.

ART, 30 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Woke up feeling tuckered out despite a good night's sleep, so no lactate workout for me today. It was probably unrealistic anyway, as I've done 3 hard speed workouts this week.

I'm feeling a little panicky about my left shoulder. It's been bothering me for weeks now, despite faithfully doing my RC and scapular exercises. (Did another round just last night). Worried that I'm on the verge of tendonitis. ART doc says probably not yet, but that I have inflammation in the subscapularis, teres and lower infraspinatus area. I have a very tight supraspinatus as well. I wonder if not going to yoga is a culprit there? The ART session was one of the more painful I've had lately. He says I'll be sore for a couple days. I need more Aleve!

I did make a precautionary appt with my pain doc for March 8.

I'm still blaming my elbows for causing this problem. However, I wonder if the failure to take a recovery week may have contributed some? I am going to be resting some between now and Match 17, so perhaps that will help.

Updated February 24th, 2012 at 06:39 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/27/12

by , February 24th, 2012 at 03:47 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:20 3:00
    2 X 100 1:40 1:30
    1 X 200 3:20 3:00
    3 X 100 1:40 1:25
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:15
    2 X 100 kick 2:00
    6 X 50 kick 1:00
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 50 easy 1:15
    1 X 50 fast 1:15
    1 X 75 easy 1:30
    1 X 75 fast 1:30
    Four rounds. Choice.

4 X 100 free 1:25 1:20
    1 X 200 free FAST 3:00 -
    Two rounds. Focus on the fast 200's

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Of Immortality and TAMFAM

by , February 24th, 2012 at 02:26 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind;
    In the primal sympathy
    Which having been must ever be;
    In the soothing thoughts that spring
    Out of human suffering;
    In the faith that looks through death,
    In years that bring the philosophic mind.

When Wordworth wrote his famous Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood, I assumed that he, having reached the years that bring the philosophic mind, would have looked something like this:

It turns out that he was actually 37 at the time of penning the Intimations poesy, only a few years older than this earlier picture of him:

I bring this up because I find myself a tweenager these days, one foot in the last days of what I have long considered the cut-off for middle age, i.e., ones 50s; and one foot in, thanks to FINA, the beginning of what I have just as long considered the beginning of old age, i.e., ones 60s.

Regardless of whether I am 59, as the calendar says, or 60, as FINA is allowing me to be, I am chagrined to report that the attainment of "the philosophic mind" continues to elude me.

This is particularly true when it comes to swimming, a sport measured in increments of one hundredths of a second, where the sinking into decrepitude is pitiless and inexorable.

Here is what I actually look like these days in a recently taken cell phone picture with my death robes on:

Here, however, is how I would describe myself to a police artist were I, by some weird magic, to become a victim of my criminal self:

(I am the one too weak too stand; if there is anything good to come from this self-image, it's that the police artist has chosen not to show my own sagging parts, a decency he opted not to bestow upon my female attendant on the right.)

In an effort to try to find some pittance of the philosophic mind before it is too late, before, that is, my long-time companion, Alzheimer's Jr., morphs into its own more pernicious senior self, let me set down herein a few random ruminations on what has provoked my sudden sense of growing old...

1. Let us face it, I am growing old.
    2. For some reason that I can't quite fathom, I am starting to fatten up. Last summer, it was relatively easy to stay sub-180 after swimming practice and a steam bath, a time when dehydration is maximal. In fact, I think I flirted on occasion with the mid 170s then! But this winter, with only a few minor dietary changes, I am lucky to end practice weighing out at a portly dehydrated 183! These dietary changes include, but are not limited to, a decision to use Half n Half on my breakfast cereal; get 80 percent of my daily calories at night while watching TV in bed; and closing down our restaurant, which has changed the hours each day I spend standing from somewhat substantial to practically non-existent. Again, I do not know why I am suddenly getting fat, and I am not sure that weight is a suitable topic anyhow for a "philosophic mind." Enough about this.
    3. After more or less accepting the illegalizing of the yesteryear's cheater suits, I suddenly find myself missing them. The reason, I suspect, is that the normal year-by-year swimming time erosions, which in the past have proceeded at a psychologically manageable pace, have accelerated, again, for reasons I am not sure I grasp, fathood and old age notwithstanding. Thus one takes an unpleasant enough process to begin with--slowing down--and adds a quantum leaping agent to the mix--the removal of the body suit for hairy old men like me--and the result is a sense of plummeting that may or may not be justified, all things taken into account, but nonetheless is proving troubling for this particular geriatric tweenager.
    4. I will say that many extremely kind fellow travelers, from Jim Clemmons to Rich Abrahams to Ande Rasmussen (who is actually much too young still to be called a fellow traveler in any sense of geriatric comradeship; ditto for Rich and Jim, who preserve a youthful spirit that lesser men like me lack) have offered no shortage of advice and counsel.
    5. On Sunday, I will be swimming the 1650. Perhaps, if I do not perform too horrifically, this will remove temporarily any further imminent need of cultivating a philosophic mind. Realistically, however, I suspect this will bring me face to face with the Reaper's halitosis, which I imagine smells like daffodils and rotten meat.
    6. Back soon to resume my pursuit, be this a denial of death or an acceptance of its inevitability. The one thing I am determined to do, however, is not die of my own bad strategy--i.e., going out too fast in the 1650 and suffering like a strung up hog incapable of finishing the race he started.

TAMFAM
    On an entirely different note, I invite my readers to try out a new fitness metric I blundered upon last night. I was in bed, eating Cookie Dough Ice Cream and watching The Office, resting up, as it were, for today's pursuit of a philosophic mind, when I decided to use my Azumio phone app to measure my quasi-rested heart rate. It was 42, decent enough for the night time.

It then occurred to me to check out my BMI, or body mass index, which you can do yourself right here:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Based on last night's weight, mine ended up being 24.7.

I decided next to divide my BMI by my Resting Heart Rate, coming up with a 58.8 percent reading.

What, I asked myself, if I could lose 5 lb. and lower my RHH down to, say, 38?

Improvements on both indices would increase my percent reading to
    63.1 percent. It was at this point I had a eureka moment: had I inadvertently blundered upon a new ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS FITNESS APPROXIMATION METRIC? I decided to appendage my name to it, and acronym-ize the whole mouthful.

And with this was TAMFAM born!

How soon can we conspire to sneak the concept into the exercise physiological literature, cited by tenure-seeking post docs the world over?

I ask that my readers help me to popularize the concept by simply:

1. Recording your resting heart rate tomorrow morning before you get out of bed or do anything strenuous, wink, nudge, wink
    2. Calculate your BMI by clicking on this link and entering your height and weight where indicated: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    3. Finally, use a calculator to divide your BMI (numerator) by your resting heart rate (denomimator) and leave your resulting TAMFAM in the comments section of this vlog, along with as much discourse as you would like to include speculating what TAMFAM might mean and why, indeed, it might not be so AM after all. (No need to leave ridicule and naysaying; I freely acknowledge that, as of this point in time, my new fitness metric is, indeed, ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS.)

I shall repost again sometime after the 1650 is over. If the subject is more on TAMFAM, you shall know that it has gone better, or at least as well, as could be expected.

If, on the other hand, I am back to a search for my "philosophic mind," perhaps quoting freely from the oeuvre of Kierkegaard along with select passages from Sartre's
    Nausea, well then, my dear friends, ye shall know that Nature has taken its predictable course, and that the Second Law of Thermodynamics remains operable still, my own pitiable example impotent to shake it from its foundations.

Until his time in the 1650 proves him sadly delusional, our aging Jim continues to force himself to hope against hope for the coming of Spring.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Friday, 2/24/12

by , February 24th, 2012 at 11:27 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up:
    400 swiim build each 100
    - 200 free/200 back
    6 x 75/1:40 (50 kick - 25 build swim)
    - did back kick & swim on this

Back Drill Set: (500)
    20 x 25/40
    4 x the following:
    12.5y - 15y kick outs
    josh davis catch - up
    10y spin-outs - my shoulder did not like this so after the 1st one I did 1 arm instead
    one arm
    Full stroke

Main Set:
    9 x 100 Back
    3/2:00, 3/1:50, 3/1:40 (#1 & 2 = smooth, #3 = FAST)
    -shoulder was bothering me so I kicked this set as follows:
    - 3/2:20, went 1:55-1:54-1:47
    - 3/2:10, went 1:56-1:53-1:43
    - 3/2:00, went 1:57-1:58-1:48

Warm down
    5 x 50/1:00 dps free

Total: 2500 yards

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Holding steady at 2000 yds for now

by , February 24th, 2012 at 10:32 AM (Nobody Special)
    100 warm up

2x250 free (w/fins) 4 m int

10x50 kick (w/fins) 1 m int

1x100 free - 2 m int*
    2x50 free - 1 m int*
    1x100 free - 2 m int*
    2x50 free - 1 min int*
    1x100 free - 2 m int*

6x50 free/hypoxic (1 breath per lap - w/fins) - 1:15 m int

100 warm down

* entire set w/o fins
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. TGIF 2/24/12

by , February 24th, 2012 at 10:14 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OMG I am happy the week is over. Yesterday I ran for 30 minutes and got back to the gym to do some core work...I had the whites dots in the periphery of my vision after the run. I think that was partly due to cold outside then coming inside, and partly due to fueling inadequately...either way my legs felt hammered last night. I got the massage stick out and gave my legs a going over before I slept and I think it helped as they felt ok this morning, where I did aas per Fort:

WORKOUT #4: SPEED

Warm up/Transition:

500 choice
    8 x 25 shooters @:40
    8 x 25 no breather free w/paddles @ :40
    4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:15
    8 x broad jump off side of pool & squat jump off bottom in streamline position with AFAP dolphin kick
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

4 x 25 drag race shooters: from dead start at mid-pool, fast shooter to wall, no fins, cruise back to middle, full recovery between reps
    50 EZ

6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 2 back spin drill, 2 fast hands breast, 2 fast doggy paddle
    100 EZ

3 x (5 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:30
    -- 50 EZ between rounds

1-5: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast
    6-10: choice stroke or dolphin kick, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes or kicks fast
    11-15: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP @ 1:00 did a no breather.
    100 EZ

4 x 25 dolphin kick shooters w/parachute & fins @ 1:15
    50 EZ
    4 x 25 free w/parachute & paddles @ 1:15
    2 x100 EZ

Total: 3125

I was fairly happy with this one today especially on 5 hours sleep and at the end of the week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. computer pool again

by , February 24th, 2012 at 08:45 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Another day at the computer pool at the pop century.

I verified this is about 25 yards unless you swim off course.

500 free
    5x100@1:45 free w/ paddles & bouy
    500 kick w/zoomers
    8x25 fly w/ zoomers good SDK off walls
    300 EZ

Total 2000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:00am & 5:00pm

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 09:58 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A.M. Workout

100 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    100 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill

5 x 200 IM @ 3:05 (25 Fly, 75 Back, 75 Breast, 25 Free)
    I don't know if this really will help my middle 200 for the 400 IM, but it can't hurt any!

Fly Set:
    4 x 50 Fly @ 1:00 (held :31s)
    1:00 rest
    4 x 50 Fly @ :55 (held :31-:32s)
    1:00 rest
    4 x 50 Fly @ :50 (held :31-:32s) this was tough

200 Kick EZ w/ board

--------------------------
    2800 Yards

===========================

P.M. Workout

I wanted to get in a good freestyle workout, and just made this one up. It could surely pass for a PWB forum workout too. Hopefully he doesn't copy it for everyone's sake!

The set starts as a warmup, but quickly gets moving, and you have to stay with it.

4 x 100 Free @ 1:30
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:25
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:20
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (my base)
    I held these all right at 1:10s the whole way through...a little strenuous on the last 4.

8 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :55 (:50s)

Main Killer Set:
    5 x 300 Free Pull (I use TYR Catalyst "red" paddles for all pulling sets)

Done on a descending interval
    • 1 @ 4:00 (went 3:31)
    • 1 @ 3:50 (went 3:30)
    • 1 @ 3:40 (went 3:26)
    • 1 @ 3:30 (went 3:24)
    • 1 @ 3:20 (went 3:17) This last one was basically all-out. My triceps were killing me, but I felt great. As soon as I stopped, I knew my workout was all over at this point.
    100 EZ and out

------------------------
    3600 Yards in 55 minutes
  12. Workout 02/23/12: 100th blog post

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 09:02 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    400 kicking on 1:45/min base per 100
    3 x 100 FR Pull with buoy on ~ 1:20

Back for a visit to [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20181"]the animal lane and the broken 1650[/ame] - actually used James Adams' version:
    Main Set:
    PWB's Broken Mile Set from Week #7 Workouts:

Try to hit your 1650 pace during the broken swim. Pick a Base + :10 for the interval (my base is 1:20 - so 1:30).

3 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (went 1:03.78, 1:04.82, 1:10.00)
    4 x 150 Free @ 2:15 (went 1:43.50, 1:41.81, 1:43.38, 1:41.25)
    3 x 200 Free @ 3:00 (went 2:23.13, 2:22.06, 2:22.75)
    3 x 50 Free @ :45 (went 30.88, 31.06, 31.19)
    Did 100 EZ, then I stayed and helped the Age Group team in town, the Bennington Marauders, with turns.
    (solo/Rec/2850yds/60 minutes)
    ----------

I have been wanting to get this broken mile in since it was posted by PWB last week. It was crowded in the lane until the I started my workout, but thinned out when I got going on the mile (although I got crossed up on the last 100). The add up time = 18:52.31, so I was happy to get under 19 minutes. I tried to swim it at the same intensity from the end of the rep to the beginning of the next to try to mimic a race. I have never done this distance before, so I will have to look for it sometime this year. Hopefully not against James, as I think he would lap me twice.

The Marauders are heading into championships over the next four weeks and the coaches heard that the high school team picked up some hints from my visit a few months ago, so when they asked I was happy to help out. Even though I was teaching the same process for doing the turns, the kids seem to listen more to an old guy doing them than the coaches. I swam with the Marauders from 1986-1996, so it is neat to see them still swimming and doing well.

I made some turkey tetrazinni tonight for dinner - first time and it tasted really good. I love to bake, but have a tougher time cooking - I'm the guy that follows the recipe whereas my wife can just whip up a meal on the fly. Occupational hazard perhaps Hope to squeeze in a quick swim tomorrow before work, then get back into the water on Monday. I feel good about this week's swims, just felt off by missing Monday's practice, since today I am at 49.87 miles for the GTD.

Updated February 23rd, 2012 at 09:19 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 1650
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. C6 to C7

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 07:22 PM (Nobody Special)
    * C6 to C7 is apparently the part of my spine that is jacked up. Degeneration and nerve damage seems to be what they are going with. Got the MRI results in today and spoke with two different doctors about it. The good news is that it may not be serious - the bad news is that with a lot of weakness, tingling and numbness in my right arm both docs seem to think that it could "potentially be bad."

* For now they just want to monitor it. I'm going to be going in one to two days a week for physical therapy for the next month. I'm to be reevaluated at the end of March.

* My primary doc has me starting naproxen back up - 1000mg a day for the next month. Not sure if I'm going to stick with that - I'll give it a week for now. He has also put me on a pretty aggresive course of steroid for the next week. I'll go with that.

* If tingling, numbness, and weakness persist this month I'm looking at an NCV/EMG test along with a nuero-surgeon consult. I can tell you right now - if I'm not in any pain it will be over my dead body that I go under the knife for this. From what I understand to get to this part of my spine they have to go from the front through my throat. Yea - I don't freakin think so!

* Thankfully both docs - my primary and sports med doc said I can continue swimming. I'm not really sure they understand the type of swimming we do but I wasn't going to divulge anything to them. If they can't figure out that it takes some brutal work outs for me to get this injury in the first place then they are stupid.

* Needless to say I'm continuing with my program of getting back up to speed in the pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 2800 SKPS

I’d amped up both the yardage (some) and the intensity (considerably) of my workouts the last few days, and this morning I was definitely feeling it. So today was all about recovery. Since I’ve been in never-wanna-get-outta-the-water mode recently, I removed the temptation to stick around and do “just one more” set by arriving at the pool later. I traipsed out on deck with just an hour left in morning lap swim, and did some of my favorite 700s:

4 x 700 lcm, done in a 1/1/2/1/3/1/4/1 (lengths) pattern:
    #1—swim, alternating FR / BK
    #2---alternating flutter kick / breaststroke kick
    #3---pull with paddles, alternating moderate / easy
    #4---swim, alternating long axis strokes / breaststroke (regular and twirly)

That was it! Everything was at easy or moderate pace. It was very relaxing and meditative.

We’ve been stuck in another warm/foggy/cloudy/rainy weather pattern here. This morning the clouds were so thick that I figured there was no need to bring my dark goggles to the pool. Ha! Now I know how to make the sun come out!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Thursday, 2/23/12

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 04:22 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up (500)
    500 Choice
    - swam 250 free/250 back

Drill/Kick Set (1500)
    4 x 50 free/50 – 25 smooth/25 fast, high hand recovery
    - was around :38 on these
    8 x 75/1:50
    Odds: kick 25 board/25 tombstone/25 swim free with strong kick
    evens: 25 streamline/25 underwater/25 swim back with strong kick
    12 x 25 fast tempo:
    1-4/:20, rest 1 min;
    - around 17-18
    5-8/30, rest 1 min;
    - around 16-17
    9-12/40
    - around 15-16

400 Swim free with fins, moderate pace
    - went 5:25

Backstroke set (700)
    Repeat 2x
    6 x 25/:40 with cup
    - around 25 on all
    4 x 50/1:15 fast swim

- 1st time was around 39-40
    - 2nd time was 40-41

Cool down
    100 easy free

Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thursday, Feb. 23

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 04:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 25 shooters
    5 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:00
    5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    50 EZ

Speed/Power Sets:

12 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    8 speed drills, 4 dolphin
    50 EZ

6 x 50 "accelerations" w/fins @ 1:15
    odds = 25 kick down to bottom of pool w/kickboard, jump off bottom, sprint flutter kick to wall from dead start + 25 EZ
    evens = 25 swim free to mid pool, flip turn, dive down and squat jump off bottom of pool, sprint to wall from dead start + 25 EZ
    75 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP backstroke from blocks
    -- rolling start
    -- 29 flat
    175 EZ

8 x 25 AFAP back shooters w/MF @ 1:00
    -- was hoping to hold high 8s and I did
    150 EZ

8 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:15
    4 = free w/paddles & fins
    4 = back shooters
    100 EZ

Total: 2900

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tired from that effort. I may do workout #5 from the HIT forum tomorrow: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20228"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame].

I am in desperate need of a tech suit. I have an ancient LZR Elite and a another pretty used one with two small holes in it. I sent back the FS3 I ordered last week. So I went ahead and pre-ordered the Arena Carbon Pro closed back kneeskin. The problem is is doesn't come out for awhile and I have the Albatross meet that I'd like to swim well at on March 17. (Haven't decided how much to rest yet ...) I may have to order another suit as a back up. Not sure if I should order another LZR Elite or the new Arena X-Glide. I haven't worn Arena suits before, so I'm not sure how they fit. Anyone have experience with them?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Thursday, 02/23/12

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 02:58 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    SCM, Baylor Fitness center noon workout
    Billy G coached; Tues/Thurs are IM days

Warm up:
    300 warm up
    300 kick

Transition set:
    8 x 50 on 1:00
    25 kick/25 swim by IM order (x2)

Main set:
    Three times through:
    2 x 100 IM on 1:45
    1 x 200 IM on 4:30

This was really hard. A lot depends on the mix of people in your lane and how smooth you do the 100's to have enough in the tank for the 200 IMs. And there is nothing worse than hanger-ons behind you doing 1 arm touches and free or back on the breastroke. Anyway, held 2:58, 2:57, and 2:54 on the IMs which was solid for a tough "IM conditioning set". Those 1:45 100 intervals made it tough.

12 x 50 pull on ???
    ==>No, I put on my monofin and did
    8 x 25 strong

Easy 100 warm down

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I gave my legs a break from the kicking and fins today. It was sort of fun to do IMmy stuff, but I really think the coaches should enforce acceptable substitutes for the strokes. First, none of this one-arm-y touching at all. Second, if you "can't" do breastroke, you should not be allowed to do freestyle or backstroke! (Ditto for fly). You should have to kick on your sides or kick with your arms at your sides, or something like that. I highly suspect that if the coaches ever really did enforce it, people would very quickly find their breastroke groove.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meet this weekend! I'll probably only swim the 100 free on Saturday and all the events on Sunday. If my shoulder bothers me, i'll not dive and perhaps bring a pair of fins and just kick everything from the wall. I think I will bring my old full length suits and wear them as well.

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...=991&smid=3345
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Thu Feb 23th, 2012, SCY

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 12:34 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Feb 23th, 2012, SCY

swam Mon, Tue, & Wed
    lower back hurts a bit

Yesterday my doc called (the one who removed my Atypical fibrous histiocytoma) he spoke with my wife & said I should get more tissue removed. Today we set an appointment with a hand surgeon in San Antonio for next Tuesday.

Whitney Coached
    SCY UT Swim Center: Main pool, center course
    6:30 - 8:00 dove in 6:37ish
    wore Speedo endurance jammer
    trained with Larry & Tennielle
    beside James, Brandon, Amy, Todd & Chris

Warm Up
    500 ish

Main Set

3 x 100 on 1:15 right into
    3 x 100 on 1:10 right into (was hurting & couldn't make 3 on 1:05 so I moved lanes)
    3 x 100 on 1:10 right into
    100 Fast on 1:05

100 easy

4 x 400 desc on 5:00

3 x 100 on 1:20 right into
    3 x 100 on 1:15 right into
    3 x 100 on 1:10 right into
    100 Fast on 1:05

10 x 75 on 1:30
    4 k done 25 fast 50 mod
    2 fr done with 6 breaths or less
    4 k done 50 mod 25 fast
    did all the fast kicks SDK

200 easy

2012 Meets (I'm considering)

Mar. 30 & 31, 2012
    South Central Zones, SCY
    South Lake, TX
    Days Till

Jul. 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE
    Order of Events

Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX

Updated February 23rd, 2012 at 02:31 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -02/24/12

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 12:07 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 150 2:30 2:15

1 X 200 kick 4:10
    6 X 50 kick 1:00
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 100 free 1:30
    1 X 100 IM 1:45
    1 X 100 stroke(no free) 2:00
    Four rounds

1 X 300 free 4:15 4:00
    1 X 200 2:50 2:40
    1 X 100 1:25 1:20
    4 X 50 :40 :40 or :35

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5400Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. 02.23.12 - Thursday workout

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 08:56 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave and Dave. Pool temp 85. Wore my Nike jammer.

SCY

400 Warm up

3 x 100 - 1:25 (Back/Fr/Fr/Fr)
    2 x 100 - 1:20
    1 x 100 - 1:15
    16 x 25 - :30 Easy free/Hard Stroke
    3 x 100 Pull - 1:25 (Back/Fr/Fr/Fr)
    2 x 100 Pull - 1:20
    1 x 100 Pull - 1:15
    16 x 25 - :30 Easy free/Hard Stroke
    Quick Break

3 x 100 - 1:25 (1:10 to 1:12)