View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mon Nov 28th 2011 SCM meet is 5 days away

by , November 28th, 2011 at 09:09 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Nov 28th 2011

Upcoming Meet

Sat Dec 3rd & Sun Dec 4th
    2011 South Central SCM Regional Invitational
    San Antonio, TX
    DAYS TILL

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Fri Nov 25
    swam SCY in San Antonio
    did some 75 SDK went 41.6
    25 fl went 10.0
    25 SDK went 9.8

Sat Nov 26 2011
    did not swim or lift

Sun Nov 27
    noon workout, arrived 1:00
    did around 800
    Lifted weights at SMAC

Whitney Coached
    scy UT Swim Center: main pool
    5:00 - 6:30 dove in 5:15ish
    wore B70 jammer
    trained with mike & todd,
    beside keith, larry & Tyler

Warm up
    missed it

Main set

Assigned 4 rounds of
    3 x 100 on 1:10
    3 x 75 on :55
    3 x 50 on 50
    3 x 25 on 20
    Did
    Skipped a 50 in the 100's, 75's & 50's

6 rounds of
    50 with 3 breaths
    25 fast
    25 easy

5 x 100 on 1:30 desc with 10 breaths
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 11.28.11 - Challenge Day 2

by , November 28th, 2011 at 08:51 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger next to Dave and Dave. Wasn't sure I would make it this morning. A stomach bug had me down most of the weekend but I woke up feeling much better... and hungry for a change. Monday is our challenge day. Not so bad this week. 2 x 100 on 1:10. I made 1:05, 1:07. Not sure how I'm going to get past 4 of these but it isn't going to happen if I keep going out on 1:05. Going to have to hold back a bit and try to make the first 3-4 before I get in that 1:07-1:08 groove.

SCY

400 Warm up

6 x 50 - :45
    1:30 Rest
    2 x 100 - 1:10 (1:05, 1:07)
    50 Easy

6 Times through
    * 200 IM - 3:00 (2:45 or better, substitute 50 stroke w/ 50 kick)
    * 6 x 25 Stroke - :40
    I ended up w/ 100 stroke/100 kick. If I substituted with anything other than br kick, I couldn't make 2:45. On the last one, I did 50fl/100br kick/50fr and made 2:40.

4 x 100 IM - 1:45 (0/25/50/75 Kick)
    1:00 Rest
    4 x 100 - 1:45 (25/50/75/100 Kick)
    50 Easy
    100 Timed kick (br - 1:23)

200 Cool down

(4200 Total)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Cold Sunday LCM

by , November 27th, 2011 at 09:56 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I braved the cold weather for LCM today, on the fence for MLK's LCM meet.

LCM, SMU outdoor pool, 9AM workout
    Bobby Patten coached
    (but I goofed off half the workout)

500 warm up

10 x 50 on 1 min
    37.5 swim/12.5 fast kick
    I worked this set as my main set, really putting effort into the kick!

Main set:
    4 times through:
    various, blah blah blah
    ==>no. in fact I just stopped listening to the set even before instructions were finished.

me? Tried out my new TYR Burner fins, which were anythng but burning up the water. These things are tough to kick with! For that reason, I like them way better than my blue & orange speedo fins. And then I spent the other part of the set discussing my training with Bobby.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't think it is a bad thing to swim only 1/2 the workout. As long I get in something that really counts! It would have been a total waste if I goofed off that first set of 50's but I sort of knew i'd be mentally done after about 25 minutes, so time to go for it!

I really can't stand the sardine packing in LCM. It doesn't bother me in SCM going 5 seconds apart, but it is so distracting and annoying to me that everyone bunch up and draft off each other when there is plenty of space to go 10 seconds apart!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today I went to Kohl's and got super sale items for my girls, plus my $15 in Kohl's cash. Goody for me! Then I went to Luke's Locker but everything there seemed to be the same old boring stuff at non-sale prices. Even the sales rack wasn't such a good deal.

In other totally riveting news, I ordered the complete Schoolhouse Rock DVD and an uglydoll hat for my youngest from amazon. Then I threw in Human Centipede for myself. I guess it's no surprise it got very poor reviews and was marked down to a mere $7.xx. I'm going to make chowsh watch it with me to see how medically accurate it is. If we get too scared or too disgusted, i'll just pop in the Schoolhouse Rocks and we can have a sing-a-long.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This week i'll just try to stay as loose (lose?) as possible. My left arm is really "tired" and my shoulder joint feels "weak". I think my right arm is getting tired holding up the Soduku book. The higher the level, the longer I have to hold it up 'til I finish it! I'll have to go back down from the 400's to the 100's so I can "taper" my arms, plus get that feeling of totally domination when I whiz through the 100's that I skipped over.

I think I see more Soduku under the xmas tree!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sunday, Nov. 27

by , November 27th, 2011 at 05:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Warm up:

700 various

16 x 25 shooters w/fins
    8 back, 8 belly

Main Set:

40 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00

8 x 50 single arm fly
    8 x 50 dolphin kick w/board
    8 x 50 breast + 50 EZ
    8 x 50 flutter kick w/board
    8 x 50 free
    -- 4 overkick, 4 easy

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just wanted to do a recovery workout after traveling home yesterday. I'm a bit tired from travel (got in late) and hotel insomnia, so hoping to catch up on sleep this week.

I don't feel like I lost too much training wise with my jaunt. I did get in 3 speed workouts last week, and probably only missed one aerobic workout on vaca. I'm going to start resting now. I'm not even remotely excited about it. Perhaps only my elbows will be happy.

I also need to get myself signed up for NE Champs. May do that now! Done: 100 IM, 100 fly, 50 free (maybe), 50 breast, 200 IM (fly split), 50 fly and 100 free. A very rare meet with no backstroke events. I signed up for 100 free (50 split) and 100 breast at the LC meet. If I don't scratch something, which is almost unheard of, I will get in a SCM 50 & 100 of each stroke and the 100 IM -- a masters first for me.

Updated November 27th, 2011 at 06:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Can't get enough of the ocean

I enjoyed another lovely swim in the ocean today. We had a sunny day, with little wind, and about 8 of us met out at Brighton Beach to take advantage of some late-season time in the ocean. I realized after yesterday’s swim that I had made things harder on myself than need be by fretting about things overmuchly, and I decided that today’s swim would be as calm and fretfree as I could make it. The flat ocean helped me out with its gentle lulling motion. Plus, I remembered how counting my strokes between breaths had soothed me yesterday, and did that from the start, and didn’t sight any more than I needed to on my way out. I swam to the pier and back, then on to the white house and back, and it was all wonderful, and easy swimming, the whole way. The only mildly difficult thing today was the cold. It never got too uncomfortable, but I definitely appreciated the sun on my back as I stroked along, and I was grateful to be back on dry land and warming up once I finished.

Luckily it was fairly toasty—in the 60s—by the time I got out, and I warmed up quickly in the sun. Two cool things happened when I was in the water today though. I swam through a school of tiny fishes—about fingernail sized, tons of them all around me for about 4 strokes, then no trace of them for the rest of my swim. Also, the last part of my swim was through a swarm of hundreds of gulls. I was swimming about 15m from shore, and I could see them crowding the beach as I breathed to my right. Then I breathed to my left as well, and saw that there were also quite a few floating out on the water to that side, plus more circling above me. I assumed that they had amassed because someone on shore was feeding them, but when I got back my friends on shore told me that a large flock had initially gathered in the water and were feeding on something below the surface. After the birds had been there for a while, the people on shore then started feeding them as well.

Several times over the past few days other CIBBOWSers have asked me what I’m training for with all the cold water swimming. I’ve been saying I’m not training per se, just doing something I love, but today I thought of a better answer—a December loop! It would be cool to be able to do that, and if the weather manages to hold for another week, that might just be possible!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Saturday, Nov. 26, 2011 11:00am

by , November 26th, 2011 at 04:09 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

Main: (no rest, stay on intervals)

1 x 200 Free @ 2:40 (went 2:19)
    2 x 175 Free @ 2:20 (went 2:01)
    3 x 150 Free Pull @ 2:00 (went 1:41s)
    4 x 125 Free Kick w/ board @ 2:10 (went 1:58-2:00) I was kickin' hard to make this
    5 x 100 Fly @ 1:30 (went 1:08/1:10/1:12/1:13/1:13) This was the killer.
    6 x 75 Back @ 1:10 (went :57-1:00) actually tried to do 2-3 SDKs each wall
    7 x 50 Breast @ :55 (went :43-:47s)
    8 x 25 Free @ :20 (went :17-:18s)

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :55 made em

Cooldown set:
    1 x 200 Free Pull @ 2:30
    1 x 150 Free Pull @ 2:00
    1 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20
    1 x 50 Free Pull @ ???

----------------------
    4500 Yards

This wrapped up a good set of Turkey Day weekend workouts for me. Did the 30 x 100s twice, a Turducken, and this "ladder" of sorts.

My body is sort of getting used to doing more yardage now, not that I'm going to be able to keep it up. But it was a good time. Crappy part is that I have to go back to work on Monday. I wish I could win the lottery, or get a big inheritance!
  7. Turducken - I'm stuffed

by , November 26th, 2011 at 12:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    With Master's group at the Rec (scy)

Today was Turducken Day, courtesy of swimsuit addict for the group, and we had a total four folks (of eight) give it a shot ...

Turducken set: A turducken is a turkey that is stuffed with a duck, which in turn has been stuffed with a chicken. I’ve never tasted one, but I feel like I’ve been reading about them as a novelty food item for at least a decade. The latest article I saw about turducken was not about food at all, but about privacy law, and ever since I read it, the word has been rolling around in my head. So I decided I would assemble stroke turduckens by stuffing a 50 of one stroke into the middle of a 100 of another stroke, then sticking the whole thing into a 200 of yet another stroke. I did four rounds of these; on the first, turkey=fly, duck=back, and chicken=breast; the strokes rotate through the IM thereafter. The set looked like this:
    4 x 350 @ :30-:40 rest interval
    1st 350=100 FL/50 BK/50 BR/50 BK/100 FL
    2nd 350=100 BK/50 BR/50 FR/50 BR/100 BK
    3rd 350=100 BR/50 FR/50 FL/50 FR/100 BR
    4th 350=100 FR/50 FL/50 BK/50 FL/100 FR
    On each round I aimed to do the middle 50 at 200 IM pace; the 50 before it as build and the 50 after it as recovery, and the turkey 100s at the front and back at basic aerobic pace.
    After we readjusted our suits, we went on to:
    7 x 100 on 2:00
    -----

I am thankful that this 2100 main set was done - I am used to my shoulders aching after a workout, but not this badly during it! haha The most continuous Fly I have done since HS has been 75 in a set, so this was a test. I thought that the 100's would be the worst, but the 50's on the last (two) did me in. But .... I made them all doing full stroke, so I am very happy with that. Also, my abs were sore!

I added a 600 w/u before the fun, and since I was one up at the end of the Turduken I went back for seconds, swimming just the last rep for a total of 5 completed. I took some great advice from from SB212 on the breastroke legs:
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    Yay! I hope you all enjoy it! Breaststroke isn't that bad, just keep your head looking down and love that glide!
    I kicked the 100's (FR, BK, DK, full breast stroke, FR, BK, DK), and came in around 1:40 each time. I can really notice a difference in my kicking stamina and speed since really incorporating it into my workouts over the last few months.

Close that with a 250 easy warmdown and I hit 3300 yards in just over 1 hour. Not bad! Off to put up the Christmas tree and get the lights set up outside. All the while enjoying the beautiful day we are having here - over 50 degrees and sun shining! Have a great day everyone.

Tags: turducken
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. 11.26.11 - Saturday workout

by , November 26th, 2011 at 11:29 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dan, Mary and Bob. Billy showed up late but didn't work out with us. Matt provided the workout which is what is HSA kids are doing for taper. Not feeling great today but it didn't slow me down much. My fly was on for some reason... usually it isn't. Right shoulder started hurting near the end. I think I tweaked it doing backstroke "blasts".

SCY

400 Warm up

50 Fly/50 Back/50 Br - 2:15
    50 Back/50 Br/50 Fr - 2:15
    50 Br/50 Fr/50 Fly - 2:15
    50 Fr/50 Fly/50 Back - 2:15
    Everyone else did 50 Fr/50 Bk/50 Fr on 2:30(?). Not sure why they increased the interval short since they were ahead of me on after the first one.
    6 x 100 IM - 1:30 Descend 1-3, 4-6 (1:25 -> 1:18)
    8 x 50 Kick - :50 (Br)

3 times through:
    * 100 Fast - 2:00 (1:05, 1:05, 1:08 - slowed down to protect my shoulder some)
    * 2 x 300 Pull - 4:00 (All on about 3:31-3:33)
    * 8 x 25 - :30 drill down/15M blast back (I did IM order)

200 Cool down

(4900 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. A leg day again .... work off all the food

by , November 26th, 2011 at 11:06 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Time to work of the food but the water was too hot to push too much.

500 free broken
    500 free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    10x50 free as 25 kick/25 swim w/snorkle
    500 various free drills
    5x100@1:45 fly w/fins 25 rt arm, 25 lt arm, 25 kick, 25 swim
    500 free kick as 25 high, 25 just at surface, 25 deep kick

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday, Nov. 25

by , November 25th, 2011 at 10:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hit the hotel pool again today. It was cloudy, so fairly empty!

Warm up/Transition:

4-500

10 x 50
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = breast w/dolphin kick
    50 EZ

10 x 50
    25 dolphin kick shooter on belly (25 kicks) + 25 EZ
    50 EZ

Speed Work:

10 x 40ish burst + ez
    various
    40 EZ

Pyramid 40 frees:
    9 x 40ish
    3-5-7-9-11-9-7-5-3 strokes fast
    40 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    4 breast, 4 free
    50 EZ

Total: 3100 ish (?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pretty good workout for a hotel pool! I missed my fins though. Not looking forward to returning to the cold weather tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Friday, Nov. 25, 2011 5:00pm (2nd time around...)

by , November 25th, 2011 at 10:13 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Had two goals in mind with this swim tonight:
    • Get enough done to total 10K for the day (did it)
    • Complete the 30x100s set at all costs (didn't quite make it)
    Warmup:
    300 Free
    200 Free Pull
    200 Kick w/ board
    100 Free

30 x 100 Free @ 1:12.5
    • (made 22 of them - holding from 1:07s gradually increasing till failure at #22)
    • took 1:00 rest, then did:
    • 8 more 100 Free Pull @ 1:10 (holding 1:06-07s)
    200 EZ Kick w/ board

20 x 25 Odds Fly, Evens Free @ :30

100 Free EZ
    ------------------------
    4600 Yards

+5400 from the A.M.
    ===============
    10,000 Yards for the day

What a big difference 2.5 seconds of rest can make on a set like that today. I'm sure I could've made all 30 on the 1:12.5, had I not done the intensive set earlier this morning...but that's the way it goes. NOT going to go for a 3rd round of it tomorrow.
  12. Black Friday? Beach Friday!!

Today I went out to Brighton Beach for a special Friday CIBBOWS swim. It was unseasonably warm (50s) for late November, and very sunny, but today there was a strong wind out of the southwest. I got there a few minutes before the 11am meet-up time, and lay on the beach while I waited for the others, listening to the rattle of sand hitting my parka hood.

There were about a dozen of us out for the day. The water was choppy from the wind, with some whitecaps, and tide was at its low point. When others asked me what my plans were, I said I didn’t know—I’d keep on swimming as long as I was having fun. I did plan to start out swimming into the wind, towards the pier, so that I wouldn’t be surprised by the difficulty of swimming into chop on the way back, and also so that just in case I got too cold and needed to get out and walk/jog back I wouldn’t be heading into the breeze.

Our tide-and-temperature expert Cara thought the water temp would be about the same as yesterday. (She later confirmed that it had indeed held steady overnight at 50.) I went ahead and got ready and waded in. It took me 20 breaths today in knee-deep water until I dove in and started swimming. The first few breaths in cold wavy water always seem hard on my neck—although I don’t do heads-up freestyle, I think it takes me 20 meters or so until I’m truly whole-hearted about putting my face in. Until then, my neck muscles stay stiff, and it feels like my head gets a little battered by the waves. Once I relax and let the water hold it up things seem much easier.

The water was a beautiful deep green in the sunlight, and I enjoyed swimming along and seeing the shore go by. It was very choppy though—not the rolling chop that carries you up and down, but the truly choppy chop that can randomly wash over your arms and head and create the illusion that it’s pushing you backwards. Sometimes I hear swimmers talk about having to fight against the chop, but I don’t much like that metaphor—I always like to think I’m looking for ways to work with the water, or at least play in it, even when conditions are difficult. But today the play seemed more of the sort of a cat does with a mouse it’s caught. And I was the mouse!

Often when I’m swimming by myself it takes about 10-20 minutes for me to feel comfortable in the water—until then, I’m on high alert. I want to sight often, I’m on the lookout for any unusual noises or sights, and am easily spooked by buoys or shadows in the water. Today there was a boat near the jetties that I was worried about—it didn’t seem to be moving, but I kept on looking up to make sure it wasn’t, since I knew it would be difficult for a craft to spot a swimmer in the chop. As I got closer I could see it had a dive flag on it, and was actually inside the jetties, so I assumed it was anchored, and it was. I’ve seen dive boats around there before—my fellow CIBBOWSers told me there are the remains of an old pier that burned down in that spot. But I spent a fair lot of fretting and sighting before I determined that.

After I passed the boat, I managed to get distracted by a low-flying helicopter, and then a very noisy boat which was in fact quite far away (I do always stop and look t see what’s making noise in the water, to ensure that if it’s a jetski I’m well out of harm’s way). But at the same time I was beginning to really enjoy swimming along—by this point I had gotten to the fanciful part of Coney Island, with the WonderWheel and the rest of the rides off to my right. Their colors were brilliant in the low bright sunlight, and I looked up at the boardwalk and hoped that there were others out enjoying the glorious November day.

I swam to the last jetty before the pier, and then a bit further before stopping. I paused only to look up at the pier for a moment—just a couple of folks up there, and they didn’t seem to be fishing—then turned around and headed back. Suddenly the swimming became super-easy—the chop was with me, and I felt like it was carrying me along without much effort on my part. I stroked tranquilly along, enjoying the sun on my face and back, and marking my progress by noting the landmarks along the shore.

As I neared the diveboat on the return trip, though, I started feeling really tired. My arms and body seemed heavy in the water, and looking at the sun when I breathed seemed disorienting. I didn’t feel any colder than I had a few moments before, but I started worrying that I was getting too chilled and that the fatigue and confusion might be symptomatic of that. When I’m OW swimming, I often fear that any unpleasantness I experience is a trend, but it usually turns out to be a passing sensation. I hoped that would be the case here. Still, in case the fatigue got worse, I decided to swim a little closer to shore, which involved making crescents inside the jetties. I also went to a bi-lateral breathing pattern, so I wasn’t looking into the sun on every stroke. I stroked along counting my breaths for a while—1-2-1-2-1-2-3-and so on—and soon I began feeling stronger and happier. Once I got past the last big jetty I was able to remain close to the shore, and I could also see my group up on the sand, so I stopped worrying and just focused on maintaining the breathing pattern. Before I knew it I was back where I started.

When I was even with the group of swimmers already on shore, I dove down, turned over and looked at the water’s surface from underneath, and contemplated whether I wanted to stop or continue. I decided to keep going, and immediately felt a burst of energy. I picked up my stroke rate and swam to the next jetty, then on to the white building. After spending much of my first mile feeling jumpy, and my second being worried, I finally just felt peaceful and blissy in the water. Sometimes it pays to persevere.

At the eastern end of the beach I turned around quickly and headed home. I was swimming into that same chop again, but now I felt really strong and relished the challenge. I was also feeling warmer than before, probably because I was working hard—kicking to stabilize myself, keeping my strokes quick and short, and minimizing the amount of time my hands spent above the water recovering (and therefore the chances that they would get stopped short by the waves). I swam hard back and was welcomed up onto the beach by the rest of the swimmers—I was first one in and last one out today.

I dressed quickly and jogged up and down the beach a few times to keep the shivers at bay. Unlike yesterday, where conditions were perfect, today’s loop was a tough one. But I’m glad I rallied and stayed in—the experience of that last mile made it all worthwhile!

I was hoping to do a double tomorrow—Asphalt Green pool workout in the morning, then right to the beach. But I’ve swum so much these past two days, and the beach is so enticing, that I might skip the pool workout. These November beach days are precious indeed!

And oh yeah--CIBBOWS was featured in the Wall Street Journal today! I swim with celebrities!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ctions_newyork
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Workout 11/25/11

by , November 25th, 2011 at 07:08 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

Long warmup in the hot pool today ...
    200 FR
    200 BK
    100 Fly drill/100 FR
    100 Br/100 FR
    200 Back

5 x 200's on :xx (trying to to run over or get run over - went when I had some open water)
    - 100 Kick
    - 100 Pull with buoy
    - Did FR/BK/sdk-IM/FR/BK

500 with paddles (25 DPS/25 Fast, 50/50,75/75,100/100)

200 various warmdown

(2700 yds, 55 min)
    -------

I am feeling tired today, and I did not pig out too much yesterday. I got up earlier than planned and put in a 1.6 mile walk with my son, and that did little to energize me before swimming at lunch time.

I could tell by the parking lot that it would be crowded today, and it was (6 in the water when I started, then it dwindled down to 3). I bet you all can't wait for the New Year crowds that will appear in a month or so, right? The water was very warm today - apparently the heater was not working properly earlier in the week and it was nice and cool for laps Today it was hot, hot, hot, with the heat still pumping out.

Anyone have a short-hand way of describing the 500 - I have done it a few times and am getting too lazy to keep writing it out. Must be the turkey talking ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Nov 25, 2011

by , November 25th, 2011 at 06:40 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    198 days until Day 1 of the FINA World Masters Championships

I booked my flights to Italy for World Championships today!

I booked my hotel in Kelowna for Canadian Nationals today!

Thursday, Nov 24
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    West Warmup Pool (25m)

warmup
    2 x 400 IM as fly kick, back drill, breast drill, free swim

24 x 25 @ :40 from middle of pool, working turns (6 fly; then 6 back; then 6 breast; then 6 free)

15 x 50 @ 1:00 as (25 fly/25 back, 25 back/25 breast, 25 breast/25 free) x 3, working turns

12 x 25 @ :45 as (3 drill / 1 swim) x 3

Main Set (no break between):
    • 4 x 50 Free @ 1:00 holding 200 pace (I went 31, 32, 32, 32)
    • 200 free @ 4:00 negative split (to be swum with effort)
    • 100 kick ALL OUT (I went 1:37)
    • 200 EZ
    We were supposed to repeat the above twice, but Coach Mat decided to drop second time through. Thank goodness! I was feeling sick by then, as I wasn't feeling well even at the beginning of workout, and the IM 50s beat me down!

Instead, we did a fun Relay:
    • worked out to 6 x 25 for each swimmer @ :30 to 1:00

100 EZ

Total Distance = 3100 meters

Comments: I would have been much happier if each 50 of the broken 200 had been 1 second faster, but I'll take it.

Updated November 28th, 2011 at 01:54 PM by lewba

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Update & Post Thanksgiving swim

by , November 25th, 2011 at 05:10 PM (Dan's hobby/obsession)
    Wow - It's been a while since I added anything here. I probably don't have anything more worthwhile to post than I did before, but I feel like updating, so here goes:

Since June, I've run an additional 3 marathons, an Olympic triathlon, and a Half Ironman triathlon. I also participated in numerous half marathons, a 5k run (19:21 woot!) and the Ragnar Relay - Northwest Passage (our team took 2nd overall!) I also registered for Ironman Canada in 2012.

With all that running & cycling, my swimming has fallen off considerably. My YTD swim total is just shy of 325 miles and I'm nowhere near race-ready. I did enter a swim meet a couple weeks ago, but I mostly swam short "off" events. I think I split a low 27 for a relay 50fr(SCM), so I've got some work to do.

This week I've started getting more serious about swimming, so I dug out the old workout cards and started cruising the NTC workouts. Sadly, I am coming off a sinus infection and possibly viral pneumonia (a close friend of mine has it & my chest is feeling tight) so the workouts haven't been as strong as I had hoped, but I was feeling progressively stronger over the course of the week and have high hopes for next week.

Today's workout:

This week's workouts started out with a ladder on Monday, 300's on Tuesday, 200's on Wed, and a Turkey burn workout/party on Thurs. Today I decided to continue the trend and go with 100's and, in spite of my chest issues, wanted to try them at mid-season pace.

Warm Up

400 swim (every 4th length backstroke)
    300 pull (every 4th length sculling)
    200 kick
    200 IM drill
    8x50 kick @ 1:00 2x(3fr, 1 fly)

Main

8x100 swim - 4 @ 1:30, 4 @ 1:20
    8x100 IM - 4 @ 1:45, 4 @ 1:35 (I felt the chest tightness on these last 4!)
    8x100 pull - 4 @ 1:25, 4 @ 1:20
    8x100 swim - 4 @ 1:25, 4 @ 1:20 (shoot, I was hoping to hit 1:15 - maybe next week!)

200 cool down

4,900 yds

Overall, I was happy with today's swim. I hope to get my tempo up next week and will start adding sprints to the workout mix. Less than 2 months to the next meet, gotta get my sprint on!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. 2 fast 100 frees

by , November 25th, 2011 at 04:03 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Billy Glasstetter coached

warm up
    ==>no

Pull set:
    100 unknown interval
    ==>I got in late so goofed around during this set. Did about every other 50.

Main Set:

Three times through; swim/kick/swim
    :30 per 25 base on the kick

100 1:30
    2 x 50 :50
    4 x 25 :30
    100 FAST

I went easy on everything except the fast 100's; 1:07 and 1:06 - GREAT times for me!!! The middle kick? Thwarted by lane leader messing up the set so I swam into him. That's ok, we all got extra rest by having to stop in between sets #2 and #3 to explain it.

So, the only other time I swam faster was a get out swim circa 1994 with a dive from the blocks (1:02).

I felt like most people post-T-day. My tummy was still full and I nearly tossed my turkey on the kick, and my lungs felt like the size of 2 peanuts, being so pushed from the the tummy. But, i've been working on my kick, so I just kicked, kicked, kicked my way to strong swims. My arms were pretty tired, reason unknown.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I'm going to take it easy this week, in order to maximize my speed for the 50 free in a week. Not a real taper, but doing the sets that will enable me to swim as fast and fresh mentally as I can be next Saturday! WEEEEE!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 11.25.11 - Friday workout

by , November 25th, 2011 at 03:54 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at Hsv NAT with Roger, Dave and Mary. Each had our own lane. Matt drew up the workout. He said it was the taper workout for his HSA swimmers and we could make it harder if we wanted. It was plenty hard enough as-is.

SCY

500 Warm up

6 x 100 - 1:20 Descend 1-3, 4-6 (1:15-> 1:05, 1:18 -> 1:08)
    12 x 50 - :50 Drill down/Fr back
    16 x 25 - :30 Easy/Hard (Roger and I did IM order x 2)

2 Times through (I had to leave early - everyone else did 3x)
    * 4 x 100 Kick - 2:00 Descend
    * 100 Fly/100 Fr - 3:00
    * 100 Bk/100 Fr - 3:00
    * 100 Br/100 Fr - 3:00

No cool down - had to go early

(4100 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. A Clayton's Season

by , November 25th, 2011 at 03:01 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    2011 was a strange open water season for me.

I knocked back a chance at doing the Memphremagog and the Ederle swims, pinning all my hopes on Catalina. Catalina didn't work out this time, and as a result I've been moping and thinking 2011 was a complete failure.

Not so!!!!

After much delving I've been able to dig up some wonderful memories of my 2011 aquatic season including an unconventional marathon swim or two. My memories are a little fuzzy, 2011 already being about seven times the length of a conventional year (2011, the Dog Year?), but here goes.

After floating around in the 50-odd degree lake for most of June, I headed east to Maine to celebrate the nuptuals of KGirl and swim the 2.4 mile Nubble Light Challenge. The Nubble swim was first done in 2010 and was apparently very cold indeed. I was quite nervous going into the swim but on the day the water was 65 and smooth. It was wonderful! I loved swimming around the headland between the mainland and the lighthouse I'd only ever seen before as a non-swimmer tourist. I think I ate 7 lobster rolls on the weekend I was there and had a really fabulous weekend. Can't wait to go back!

Here's a photo of the Nubble course

and a picture of the lighthouse:

The remainder of July and August were uneventful. Lake Michigan was very very warm in 2011 and I spent those months at Promontory Point in high 70's water. Very strange for the lake. I even developed a rash.....

On 1st September I swam what was to be my first and only "marathon" swim of 2011 (and calling it that is really pushing the definition).

I drove to Promontory Point at the devil squealing hours of the morning and swam a mile in the dark. A mile at Promontory is one loop to the pier and back to the ladders. I was the joined by the usual 6am Point swimmers group and we did another mile. The sun was now up and I did a few more mile loops, feeding at the ladder and lurking around the 2nd buoy to see if I could find the watch I'd dropped down there two weeks prior. I got out a few times at the ladder to take some photos and play a few moves at Words with Friends, just to keep from getting too bored

The water was pretty calm until about mile 9-10, when it developed the disorganized, washing machine type chop that we're pretty used to at the Point. I felt pretty good until mile 12. I was joined by Vivebene, thank goodness, because mile 12 felt rotten. Miles 13 and 14 felt great though. I called it quits after 14 loops because I was kind of bored and needed to go to the toilet. So that was it, I guess. THe water was 78 degrees when I began in the dark and possibly a little warmer when I finished.

Here's the Point, as it usually looks:

A week later I did a 15k yard workout in the pool and felt surprisingly good.

Two weeks later I returned to the Point. Back pain defeated me that day and I drove back to the 'burbs after 8 miles. I took some Advil and finished another 8 miles in the pool for a total of 16 miles. At least the lake was 65 degrees that day so, aside from back pain, I was able to enjoy the water!

Three days later I swam Big Shoulders and didn't come in as slowly as expected. It was probably one of my most enjoyable Big Shoulders, as the water was 65 and quite smooth. I've finally identified the building to sight off on the second leg of the triangle. Better late than never.

Here's a photo me with some of the 6am Promontory Point swimmers who left our little south-side sanctuary to swim in the race:

Late July/early August saw an unexpected trip home for a family funeral
    While I was there I did some swimming at the Entrance Baths, a 50m sea water pool cut out of the rock platform at the end of The Entrance Beach (just north of Sydney). I was also able to swim off the beach at Toowoon Bay, where my nephews and niece do nippers. Such a beautiful place, it was more like snorkeling than swimming! I lurked around the area where the blue grouper supposedly frequented, but didn't see him. The people at the surf club might have been pulling my leg about that one! The surf lifesavers in this photo were practicing rescues with their zodiacs the day I swam.

Although I didn't have time to swim, I was able to go for a quick visit to my place of origin, Freshwater Beach. This is where I was hatched and where I'd like to be flung after I die. I suppose I should be cremated first.

My last swimming experience before leaving Oz was a paddle at the famous Bondi Beach and then 1000m at Bondi Icebergs club. I paid $6 to swim in the 59 degree water (watched by a row of crabs on the pool deck) and then had a sauna. The weather couldn't have been better. There was practically no surf and I could see someone swimming across and back between the headlands just inside where I assume the nets were. I wasn't brave enough for that

Aside from the Catalina crewing adventure and attempted swim, that's it for 2011!

2011: the season you have when you're not having a season. Bring on 2012, please!

Updated December 4th, 2011 at 08:09 PM by Chicken of the Sea (I accidentally wrote "site" instead of "sight". Highly embarrassing!)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Attempt 2 of 30x100

by , November 25th, 2011 at 02:45 PM (Random Nonsense)
    I felt surprising good this morning, so around 10:30 I headed to the pool, and decided if I felt good in the water would make another attempt.

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 3x100 on 1:40 (find 1:20)
    Main Set
    - 18x100 on 1:20 (made all)
    - 6x100 back on touch and go rest
    - 2x100 on 1:20 (missed second)
    - 20s waiting for top
    - 4x100 on 1:30 hold under 1:20 (made)
    Cool Down
    - 200 back ez

A little mental negotiation occurred resulting in cutting the set short at 18 (with yesterdays 12, that's 30 right?). I was going to finish up with 12x100 back but after 6 I wanted to pick up the pace. The problem was, I had fallen out of rhythm and my calf was on the verge of cramping, so I switched to 1:30. My calf cramped on the last 50 of cool down, so it was close.

Certainly not the original goal, but I don't think I will be making another attempt this weekend. Right now I am torn down enough that I know another attempt tomorrow will not be possible. I am ready to focus on something else for a while until making a run at 1:10s later in December.

So far, I think That Guy is the only one to do 30x100 in a single continuous set. That certainly says something about him, not sure if it is a positive or negative.

Random details:
    - pool was full the entire time
    - lady in the next lane was dancing down the lane. If she was hot it would have been more distracting, instead it was very odd. She was there the entire time.
    - planned on wearing a cap and using the tempo trainer set to 40s. Cap broke trying to put it on, so that didn't happen
    - water temp was 83 or 84. Not a problem but cooler would have been nice (warmer than yesterday)
    - air temp was high 80s or low 90s. Stopping on the wall after the set was DISGUSTING. No idea what the air temp was so high. So hot standing on deck in a brief before getting in was uncomfortably warm.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Distance Day today

by , November 25th, 2011 at 11:51 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Did a bunch of 200's today.

10x100@1:45 free felt effortless
    200 free build to 90%
    5x200@3:30 #1,3 free #2,4 back #5 kick
    7x200 #1,2,4,5@3:00 free #3,6@3:30 back w/paddles #7 kick
    400 free alt 100 kick/100 swim w/snorkle

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized