View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Out of the deep

by , December 18th, 2011 at 04:41 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    The shipwreck survivor drags himself onto shore and then stares back at the waves that almost consumed him. This is how Dante describes the feeling he has as he looks back down the dark wooded valley after he sees the sun rise over a hilltop. Mark Musa's translation uses the word "swimmer":

"Just as a swimmer, still with panting breath, / now safe upon the shore, out of the deep, / might turn for one last look at the dangerous waters..."

For the swimmer, however, that "safe shore" is not necessarily dry land. The "dangerous waters" are figurative. I'm in "the deep" when I can't get my swims in at all, or swim as much as I want to.

2000 more yards on Friday; 3000 yards on Saturday... I'm a distance guy, so I like slow and long; but these swims are not particularly long, just slow. I love the feeling of climbing out of the water after an "epic" swim (2-3 miles). Haven't had that in a few weeks. And these shorter swims are not exactly crisp... I feel like I'm swimming through ditch five in circle 8 of Inferno: bubbling tar. No demons with grappling hooks standing on deck, though; at least not the visible kind.

A month ago I was swimming 10-12 miles a week; now I'm barely at 10k/week. Little aches here and there. Just not feeling it right now... waking up with a cold this morning might be an indication that the body just needs a break... this last week even my easy days feel hard; yuck! This is a figurative "deep" I find myself staring into now... need to keep just plugging away, a mile here, a mile there... a little each day until I get to the point where I feel ready to start pushing the distances back up again; mixing in some faster swimming.

I envision my "safe upon the shore" being an average 2 miles/day in the water. I long for "panting breath" and the feeling of having swum to exhaustion, knowing I'll be strong enough to get back in and repeat the following day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Begin week 3 of 6

by , December 18th, 2011 at 03:54 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    LCM, SMU Outdoor pool
    Bobby Patten on deck
    but I swam around everyone

200 warm up

10 x 50 on 1 minute
    4 kick
    2 easy swim
    4 kick

400 pull
    ==>
    6 x 50's
    25 drill/25 swim

Main set:

200 2:55?
    300 easy

2 x 200 2:50?
    300 easy

3 x 200 2:45?
    300 easy

==>
    I did a 50 to every 200
    and a 100 or 200 easy for the 300's
    emphasis: 90-95%
    strong overall swim and strong finishes
    held 32's to 33 high

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This set was a good use of my time and met my goal for a key set this week: to do full-50 strong/sprint without killing myself and blowing up the rest of the week. A good use of the once-a-week long course pool. It was also very distracting to have to swim on one side of the lane and next to the ladder while everyone was coming the other way, and I know a few of those 50's I lost my stride due to the ladder. But, I don't have much other choice, so make do with what I can!

I talked to Bobby about how difficult it is to gauge what a 32ish 95% swim means when I have a goal time of 27.5 or better. In itself, the time isn't that meaningful. I told him I rarely have gone under 29, even when I went my lifetime best and made Olympic Trials. So to say "I must be going 29 or 30's in order to go 27.5" makes no sense at all. Bobby suggest that I do more partial sprints at race speed - because you aren't going to get it up there for the entire 50 in practice. I told him I was completely enamoured with the 6 x 75 set the other day with varying speed. The key is that you are never really fully resting, so when you start the next bit of sprints, you are already as tired as you would be at the 35 meter mark, and it is the last 1/3 of the race that will absolutely eat up time. Fading off is going to cost me .5 to a full second, and that's significant between a 28 low, 27, and on down to 26.99. If I can train my SYSTEM better, and not just train more or faster off a first 12.5 to 15 meters, then I think I will have been most effective where I need to shave off time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I wouldn't say life totally sucks, but it is empty without my kids and family around. I can completely understand why people fall apart when loved ones depart. Now those dirty kleenexes are like finding hidden treasures of precious memories. I'm going to leave them there and step around them like shrines.

There is no joy in eating the coveted caramel and pecan candies in the mixed chocoate box when you didn't have to fight for it between 3 other people. And now, I simply exist in an empty house with a box of remnant light and dark chocolate creams.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I watched the Human Centipede! It was completely stupid and a waste of my $7.xx. First, it wasn't scary. Acting was bad, which was expected, but there is nothing worse than seeing people act completely stupid in life and death situations. It was so boring that I even started doing my sudoku in the middle and just let the DVD go to the end. Or perhaps, to me it's far worse to lose your family than be surgically attached to someone's xxx. After all, you could just get a piece of your xxx and graft it to your lips. But you'd still have your family!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Visions of sugarplums

This morning I swam at Riverbank with John, but we each did our own workouts. The weather has turned cold here—24 when I left the apartment—and the pool was pretty quiet. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 d/s)

8 x 200 FR @ 3:30, odds pull, evens swim, desc. [went from 3:28 > 3:10 on the pulls, 3:25 > 3:02 on the swims]

400 moderate swim alt FR/BK by 50s

300 play + warmdown

It was easy to descend the 200s—I started out pretty tight and sore and loosened up as I went along, plus grew more confident pushing myself. The rib feels better, but I still can’t streamline fully or do fast flip turns, so I was glad to be swimming longcourse.

Today was my first time trying to swim since Wednesday, and the first day asthma symptoms haven’t hampered my swimming since Thanksgiving weekend. After a couple weeks of struggling in the water and trying to find ways of swimming without making my breathing or rib injury worse, I finally just gave up and spent the week recuperating. I also heeded my doctor’s advice to take enough pain and cough meds to make sure I am sleeping through the night, and that’s made a world of difference in my mood and energy levels. I generally don’t like the haziness I get from such drugs, but it was the perfect accompaniment to evenings curled up on the couch watching televised Nutcracker productions—it really brings out their magic and delight. All in all, it was a very restorative week.

And now that I have some energy and am feeling good again I am enjoying all the festiveness of the city at Christmastime. We had a nice dinner out last night to celebrate my return to health, and walked around the neighborhood enjoying the lights and trees and general atmosphere. I do feel a bit like Rip van Winkle—the space between Thanksgiving weekend and now all seems a little condensed and blurry, and the holidays are unexpectedly here. At least I have a few days to enjoy the city and get things done before heading down to Florida—I’m very much looking forward to some warmer weather and some nice beach time down there.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. LT

by , December 18th, 2011 at 11:05 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick
    - 200 back
    Sprint Set
    - 6x25 12.5 AFAP/12.5 ez on 60
    LT Set
    - 10x50 on 3:00 (31,31,30,30,30,31,30,30,31,30)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez back

Again, the focus was on letting the kick drive the stroke. 31 is near my goal 200 pace, so I thought that would be a good target for the first LT set in forever and was surprised by my times as I thought 31s would be a struggle to maintain.

The set wasn't painful until #5, then it started. By #10 my face was tingling. My time from the Nov SCM meet was 27.5, so it would be a good to start seeing 29s on this set in the future.

I really need to work on my walls with regard to kicking. Today I was flutter kicking too soon off the wall when I should have been gliding or dolphin kicking.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Not quite king of the nerds...

by , December 17th, 2011 at 10:25 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Warning... continuation of non-swimming related topic

Lego League State Championships were today. Left the house at 6:45 AM. Got home at 8:30 PM. The winner this year gets an automatic spot in the World Lego League Championships in St. Louis. The team worked hard and I'd take them if they won but I wasn't looking forward to travelling halfway across the country. So, I was hoping they would just get one of the cool trophies built out of legos. There were 36 teams and 23 trophies. Odds were we would get something. As the awards wore on, two trophies remained and we had recieved nothing so far. Options were:

* We won the whole thing and I'd have to take the team to St. Louis
    * We won nothing
    * We won second overall and it would be over (optimal at this point)

And the winner was... not us. But we did take second overall - best option for me although I would have been both shocked and extatic if we did win the whole thing.

My team is a group of homeschoolers. We reflected on the prestigious public and private schools we beat and were amazed. Most teams had grants for several hundred dollars to buy parts and cover entry fees (we found out about this way too late). We did it all with the robot kit I got for Christmas 4 years ago. We paid our own entry fees and our t-shirts were hand painted by the moms while we worked on the robot. It was truly an effort of 4 families coming together to support a group of kids and it worked great! Not that I think homeschool kids are better than the other kids... just that I'm proud of them for being competitive with the well funded schools of the area.

So... I'm not the king of the nerds but darn close. Maybe next year!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Sat Dec 18th 2011. LCM

by , December 17th, 2011 at 06:37 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Dec 18th 2011

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=256434&postcount=1731"]Swim Faster Faster[/ame] went over 300,000 views today!

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog
    Whitney Coached
    LCM UT Swim Center: main pool
    7:30 - 9:00 dove in on time
    wore speedo endurance jammers
    trained with
    Tyler chris jim Korey & Kelly
    Robert Killeen

Warm up
    2 rounds of 300 100 100

Main Set:

4 x 100 fr desc on 1:30
    Went 1:10

4 x 50 done 25fl fast 25 drill

4 x 150 fr desc on 2:15
    Went 1:48

4 x 50 done 25 bk fast 25 drill

4 x 200 fr desc on 3:00went 2:24

4 x 50 done 25 bk fast 25 drill

Assigned 4 x 300 fr desc on 4:30
    Did 200 on 2
    300's on 3 & 4
    went 3:48

4 x 50 done 25 fr fast 25 drill
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Sat., Dec. 17

by , December 17th, 2011 at 05:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x (4 x 50)
    8 fly drills
    8 25 shooter + 25 nubber drill
    8 breast w/wiffle ball*
    8 free, kickoff back on turn**
    50 EZ

* This was amusing. It took a few 50s to even get the hang of this drill. I wish there was a rubber band attached to the ball. Still, with my head down further, I got into a streamline more quickly.
    ** Bad breakouts. It'll take awhile to figure out exactly when to start spinning around.

5 x smooth 200 IM w/fins @ 3:15
    -- drilled fly
    100 EZ

Total: 3350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just another easy workout. But I enjoy drills and technique work.

I woke up this morning with a very swollen ankle despite icing last night. Guess I sprained it ... At least I have the ankle brace from the last time I sprained it. This poses somewhat of a training dilemma. I had intended to focus on lower body work at the gym, but the ankle may restrict some of that. And I can't exactly kick hard with it either. Or do one legged yoga poses. I don't feel like doing much intensity right now anyway. Guess I'll have to be creative for a bit.

Off to another high school swim meet, which means I'll be on and not off my feet. Teen Fort won the 200 IM and 100 breast last night after a week sick with the flu. Despite looking just like me, she's such a different swimmer -- all short axis, no SDK and a slower turnover. Funny how that works.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. A good meet today

by , December 17th, 2011 at 04:57 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    My 50 Fly was awesome today. This was my second fastest time as a masters swimmer. The 50 back went well too. By the time I swam the 50 free went ok.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Sprint? workout; training plan and goals

by , December 17th, 2011 at 04:32 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Today was an experiment

Lifetime SCM

Warm up
    - 400 free
    - 200 back
    Main Set Sprint
    - 12x25 on :45 12.5 AFAP, 12.5 ez
    Main Set Kick
    -- 4x each 50 on 1:30
    - 25 sprint flutter kick/25 ez back
    - 50 overkick (12 beat kick, like 6/6 drill without pausing)
    - 50 Fast let kick drive the turnover
    - 50 overkick
    - 25 sprint dolphin kick/25 ez back
    - 50 ez back
    Cool down
    - 100 ez

I didn't feel very torquey on the 12.5s and I think I should have.

The goals of the kick set:
    - AFAP on the sprint kicks
    - over kick: put the focus on the kick without killing the legs
    - integrate the kick during the fast 50 by focusing on kicking as fast as possible with kick driving arm speed.

Sprinters (or sprint knowledgeable non-sprinters), please let me know if that is not a very sprinty workout. I should have been reading Fort's pool workouts for these last 3 years instead of skipping that section. Oops.

Training plan:
    - No periodization
    - Weekly break down: 2 hard aerobic, 1 speed, 1 lactate, 1 ez aerobic
    - 3 week taper
    - no ramp up (hard aerobic will not exceed 4k)
    - lift once a week
    - core twice a week
    - diet: no alcohol the night before morning workouts or competition days

Goals:
    -- Feb SCY meet
    - 50 free: 23.99
    - 100 free: 52.99
    - 200 free: 1:57.99
    -- Zones shave and taper meet
    - 50 free: 23 low
    - 100 free: 50 mid
    - 200 free: 1:54

Recent bests (Oct 2, 2010; same pool as Zone; not shaved/tapered/rested):
    - 50 free: 24.15
    - 100 free: 53.06
    - 200 free: 1:59.73

I think I am in the best 200 swimming shape I have been in a while, thus the higher expectation for the 200 in Feb.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:15am

by , December 17th, 2011 at 04:12 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :55 (held :44-:45s)
    10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ :50 (held :45-:46s)

This second part was tough, but I made it.

5 x 200 @ 3:00 IM build
    • 200 Free (went 2:19)
    • 50 Fly, 150 Free (went 2:20)
    • 50 Fly, 50 Back, 100 Free (went 2:25)
    • 200 IM (went 2:27)
    • 200 EZ
    raced another guy in the pool, he did 50 Free vs. my 50 Fly.
    I placed 2nd. :28 vs. :29

------------------------
    3050 Yards

Now time to be a good daddy and going to take my kids to see Happy Feet 2.
  11. Sat. AM 12/17/11

I haven't posted in awhile and don't really know why. Apparently during the holidays time seems to slip away. This one this morning was painful for me. I assume the rest of the felt the pain also.

10 min. choice

2 x through the following

2 x 100 on your best 100 time + 15
    2 x 25 kick @ 40 fast
    75 on your best 100 time
    2 x 25 drill @ 35
    50 @ 50 fast
    2 x 25 @ 45 fast
    25 EZ rest 5
    2 x 25 no breather @ 35

3 x through the following

100 swim 9 strokes/length r:05
    100 kick 85% r:05
    50 swim fast on best 100 time/2 + :07
    50 kick fast r:05
    100 swim 9 strokes/length r:05
    100 kick 85% r:05
    50 swim fast on best 100 time/2 + :05
    50 kick fast r:05

3 x 75 @ 1:30
    --#1 fast kick/sprint swim/no breath 12.5 yrds
    --#2 fast kick/sprint swim/no breath 20 yrds
    --#3 fast kick/sprint swim/no breath

6 x 25 w/d
    --odds perfect stroke choice
    --EZ choice

I swam fast on the swims but the kick stuff was not very impressive for me. This was one of those workouts that I just had to grind through.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday, December 16, 2011 5:30pm

by , December 16th, 2011 at 10:02 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I skip one morning masters practice and I'm getting messages on my Facebook page asking what happened?? WTH???

I made up for it at the YMCA tonight though. Swam next to a fellow lap swimmer who is fairly regular there. I think I've got him convinced to join USMS and also sign up for the local masters meet in January.

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    300 IM Drill
    200 Free Pull

16 x 100 in 4 sets of 4 (no rest between sets)
    • 4 @ 1:20 (held 1:09s)
    • 4 @ 1:30 (held 1:08s)
    • 4 @ 1:40 w/ last 25 Fly (held 1:08s)
    • 4 @ 1:10 Pull (held 1:04/1:05s)
    Cooldown set:
    16 x 25 Free @ :30
    did 4 SDKs on each, then had 9 strokes per length on each, holding :18s

--------------------
    3000 Yards

Going to do another one of the P90X2 DVD workouts in a couple hours after the McDonalds digests a little bit. I know...my workout and food choices contrast each other slightly.
  13. my legs hurt

by , December 16th, 2011 at 08:07 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I can't believe my legs hurt as much as they do. The funny thing is that i didn't feel like I was doing anything strenuous at the time.

1000 free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1
    500 free
    10x50@1:30 free w/snorkle 15m kick/20m swim/15m kick
    500 free w/paddles & bouy

Total 2500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Attempted Run, Friday, Dec. 16

by , December 16th, 2011 at 04:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was overcome by the urge to run this am. I don't think I've been on a trail run in 2+ years. I went out for my old 5 mile loop. At about mile 3, I twisted my ankle. It wasn't a bad sprain, but it is swollen. My floppy ankles apparently don't like trails. But I don't like treadmills; part of the joy of running is to be outside. Fortunately, Fort Son was home and I called him to come pick me up. I was going to hope on the bike, but ran out of time. I'm now out the door to S&T a HS meet. Cheers!
    Categories
    Running
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -12/17/11

by , December 16th, 2011 at 03:07 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    During the holidays we will be swimming the first hour LC then moving to the SC pool to finish. Must exit the pool at 7:00.

LCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:45 3:30
    3 X 100 2:00 1:45
    4 X 50 1:00 :50
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

4 X 100 kick 2:20
    1 X 100 swim

3 X {3 X 100 free 1:45
    Descend in groups of 3

SCY
    1 X 100 easy

1 X 200 IM 3:30
    3 X 50 1:00
    Three rounds.
    50's: Round 1:fly 2:back 3:breast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4150 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 12/16/11

by , December 16th, 2011 at 02:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK

funkyfish 1000 pyramid base as follows:
    50 Kick on :60 (flutter with board)
    100 IM on 1:30
    200 Back on 3:00
    300 Pull with buoy on 4:00
    then back down the way you got up

10 x 50 FR on :45
    - 25 drill/25 swim

300 w/d and out
    (2200 yds, 35 min)
    --------

Woke up today with a sore throat and feeling a tad crummy. Probably from swimming every day this week, a change from my usual 3-4 days per week schedule. I wanted something longer, and went with one of funky's ideas, adding some stroke-work in.

I tried to descend on the way down, so my times for the pairs were: 44/46 (missed on the kick), 1:17/1:16 (by the hair on my chin), 2:39/2:33 (nice!), and I pulled the 300 at the u-turn at 3:38. All in all it felt good.

Looking at the clock, and not wanting to do it a second time (lasy, I know), I decided on some 50's free with drills. I came in just on :40 on all, so not a lot of rest. The idea was to drill the first half, then increase turnover (~85%) on the way back thinking about the drill.

Back to work tomorrow. I am still planning to watch (part of) the high school swim meet this afternoon. 20 years ago we didn't have a school team, just the town team. Now the kids can swim on both teams since the coach's collaborate. Some of the kids are my daughter's friends, and after hearing that they were told to sprint a 100 Fr from start to finish I need to check out what's going down. *creepy guy with stopwatch taking splits for kids that aren't his*

Updated December 26th, 2011 at 11:15 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Dec 16, 2011

by , December 16th, 2011 at 12:52 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    177 days until Day 1 of the FINA World Masters Championships

Thursday, December 15
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    WWU Pool (25m)

800 warmup

8 x (4 x 25 kick IM order) @ :35

12 x (50 drill/25 swim) @ 1:30, rotate 75s of fly, back, breast

2 x
    (3 x 50 smooth, 1 x 50 pace,
    2 x 50 smooth, 2 x 50 pace,
    1 x 50 smooth, 3 x 50 pace)
    all on :50, 1 minute rest at half

8 x 50 EZ @ :50

Total Distance = 4100 SCM

Comments: the pace 50s were supposed to be 200 pace, so I wanted to hold :30-31s. Ha! Ended up holding :34-:35s! Brutal! It would have been OK if I was slow, but not tired; or tired, but not slow; but I was both.

Tuesday, December 13
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    EWU Pool (25m)

Don't remember all of the workout, but I do remember doing the following set:

3 x
    (25 swim/75 drill,
    50 swim/50 drill,
    75 swim/25 drill,
    100 swim)
    1 set back, 1 set breast, 1 set free

Also, started a set of 25s as:
    3 drill,
    1 swim,
    1 FAST!
    Groups of 5 in IM order

I was uninspired by this. Got out early.

Total Distance = 3200 SCM

Question: I am less than six months out from World Championships. I am essentially a pure freestyler, who can also put together a decent 100 fly. In your opinion, should I be doing sets of non-stroke drill?

Personally, I'm OK with sets of 100 or 200 IM for conditioning, but that's about it.

Sunday, December 11
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    Competition Pool (50m)

Don't remember the workout. Felt good before I dove in, but even warmup was rough.

Total Distance = 4000 LCM

Saturday, December 10
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    Competition Pool (50m)

Don't remember the workout. However, despite having one of the worst nights last night since I first got sick (totally congested, sore throat, ear ache, etc.), I had a great workout.

Total Distance = 4100 LCM

Thursday, December 8
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    WWU Pool (25m)

Didn't feel well enough to go.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Shadows flee... 2000 yards more

by , December 16th, 2011 at 11:41 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    "Le tenebre fuggian da tutti lati, / e 'l sogno mio con esse; ond'io leva'mi"

Dante awakens at daybreak only steps away from the top of Mount Purgatory: "the shadows flee from all sides and my sleep-dream with them." He arises to meet the new day... hungry for the climb and light on his feet.

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was flying through my first 1000 yards at a pace I probably couldn't have maintained for more than 3-4 laps the night before. I guess the "Hard/Easy" thing imposes its will no matter what our own plans might be. I'm anxious to see what today in the water feels like. Maybe I should work the hard-day/easy-day into my schedule... how easily we forget basic principles!

So easy for a distance guy, convert from running, just to slip into the water and keep swimming... forget about the workout, just keep the laps ticking by and see how far we can get in the allotted time. After the new year I guess I'll get back into something that looks more like a training routine.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. High level training ideas for Zones; todays team practice

by , December 16th, 2011 at 11:20 AM (Random Nonsense)
    Team Practice SCY

Warm up (800)
    - 400 swim
    - 4x100 build
    Transition (300)
    - 6x50s odd fly/back; even drill/free
    Main Set
    - 4x75 on 1:00
    - 50 kick no fins
    - 4x150 on 2:00 descend
    - 200 kick w/fins
    - 4x50 on 40
    - 100 reverse IM
    - 2x150 on 2:00
    - 4x75 on 1:00
    Cool down (200)
    - 200 ez
    - 5 starts off blocks, streamline only

Reading the workout initially, I thought it would be really choppy but it ended up being a solid aerobic workout.

Training for Zones (target meet):

Fort's committed to a meet checklist:
    1. Focus events
    2. Training program tailored to Focus events
    3. Goal times for Focus events
    4. Real taper, shave and fast suit
    5. Avoid trainning interruptions (vacations)
    6. Cross training plan aides swim training
    7. Diet Plan

1. My focus events are the 50, 100 and 200 free for Zones and I am still thinking about goal times.
    3. I think dream times are 22.99, 49.99 and 1:49.99 respectively, but Fort recommended good, great and dream. I will think about the goods and greats more. At this point I think the dreams are just that.
    5. I have laid out my trips for the beginning of next year and I will be potentially out of the water for a week in January and a couple days in Feb, but that is it and I believe I can minimize the rest.
    6. I am lifting minimally now, and will continue with that plan to focus on swim training without introducing anything like tour de France length stationary bike rides.
    7. No drinking the night before morning workouts. Eat enough good food at dinner to fuel the next morning workouts.

So the big variable right now is what to do about #2? I have 15 weeks of training left.

The traditional approach would be large block of endurance, a block of quality and short block of race specific and taper (5, 4, 3, 3). I am worried that this approach is too boring and does focus enough on racing. It works for age groupers because they don't know any better than they have swim meets every week in HS to see progress and get some race work in.

Quality and race specific are going to have a lot of overlap for me given my events, so a 3 week cycle, 2 endurance, 1 quality repeated until taper time might be an option.

The easiest option as far as planning going and integrating it with the team practices would be cycling daily. Something like team practices in Jan 2 endurance 1 quality, Feb 2 quality 1 endurance and Mar 3 quality transitioning to 3 tapers. My solo practices would follow a similar pattern. I am leaning towards this approach and would ask that the we crank the endurance team practices up to 4k.

My workout frequency will be 5 swims, 1 lifting, 2 core/week no matter what cycle.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. FAST Fri Dec 16th 2011

by , December 16th, 2011 at 11:12 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST Fri Dec 16th 2011

Doubled yesterday but didn't blog 2nd practice, similar to the morning but did more on 1:10, swam over 8k yesterday

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=256434&postcount=1731"]Swim Faster Faster[/ame] went over 300,000 views today!

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog
    Whitney Coached
    scy UT Swim Center: main pool
    6:30 - 8:00 dove in 6:46ish
    wore FS II legs
    trained with Korey & David Van Dam
    beside Tyler Tod, Ned, Keith and Katie

Main Set:

40 x 100's on 2:00
    5 easy
    5 fast best average
    didn't do so great on the fast best average