View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Not in the mood but need to keep moving

by , December 14th, 2011 at 07:07 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My attitude has not been good lately. Monday my boss was gone and all his stuff breaks. I had to fix it. Tuesday I need a new water heater at home.

Why get up today? I did anyway.

25,50,75,100 free
    100,75,50,25 free kick w/fins
    6x100 kick w/fins odds fly on back, evens fashion model back
    5x100@1:45 free w/snorkle keep a 6 beat kick
    600 free w/paddles & bouy
    6x50 as sprint 20's from dive
    100 kick
    100 swim

Total 2700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Squad Meet: 12/13/11

by , December 13th, 2011 at 10:05 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Here is the lineup from the Squad Meet I organized with our workout group tonight (I got the idea from a discussion thread in the forum):
    What: First Ever Bennington Masters Squad Meet
    Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2011
    Time: Warmups start at 7:30 pm, Event starts at 7:50 pm

The only way to improve swimming is to swim! Getting times on your events is a good way to keep track of your progress. So…come join our water-loving group for this fun, low-key swimming opportunity open to any adult swimmers. All events will be mixed heats of men and women. Block starting is optional. We will all be cheerleaders unless we are being cheered for. Non-swimming friends can come watch and be timers. Entry fee is a single can of canned food for donation to the food shelf.

1. Mixed 25 Free
    2. Mixed 50 Backstroke
    3. Mixed 25 Butterfly & Breaststroke
    4. Mixed 200 Free Relay
    5. Mixed 100 IM
    6. Mixed 100 Free
    7. Mixed 25 Backstroke
    8. Mixed 50 Free
    9. Mixed 100 Free Relay

The Squad Meet is sponsored by the Bennington Area Masters Swim Club. The Masters Swim Club is free (with Rec Center membership) and open to any adult lap swimmer. Regular practice times are Saturday from 10:15 to 11:45 am and Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 pm and usually include two skill level workouts. Stroke clinics will be held on Saturday mornings during the winter months.

We had the core group of five in the group come out, with some other lap swimmers and age group swim parents for a total of 12. I was really happy about the turn out, even though I was hoping for fifteen.

Entry fee was a donation to the local food shelf, and we have a total of 45 pounds of food and $5! Very happy about that - great to be able to help out the community!

I got in a short warmup (200 yds) and then mc'd the night, timed, and swam. 50 back (28.38), 100 IM (1:07.68), 100 Free (58.57), and the two relays. It was great to see other folks come out, even Rich, who is new to swimming and rocked a 100 free! There were some previous age group and college swimmers, and we all had a lot of fun.

So I'll add another 575yds to my flog (swam down to get the lane lines out) and plan to do this again in February (with few events, because we ran just a tad over).

Tags: squad meet
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 12-13, 2011

by , December 13th, 2011 at 08:21 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Monday workout:

Zero, unless you count moving around at work, and fixing the bathroom faucet last night. Kinda nice to take a little time off from the pool.

Tuesday workout:

Zero, I did help the guys at work segregating the boxes of apples at the end of the shift as we were finishing. (I was bored, and it helped me stay warm in there).

Even though its about 27 degrees outside, I decided it's about time to start putting up the Christmas lights before it gets too late. I did phase 1 of the whole thing, and will hopefully finish the rest tomorrow after work. I at least got the "up on the rooftop" stuff done tonight, since we're supposed to get a little snow tomorrow. Not safe to get up there with snow. I'll post a picture or two after the official lighting ceremony.

=======================

I did receive my new DVDs of P90X#2 in the mail today. I'm going to get started with this now. There's a lot of cool new moves to kick my ass and make me sweat. I'm planning on doing the 90 day routine (with a little mods here and there) and see what happens. I think I have to pick up a few more items for some of the workouts, but that's not a problem...Christmas is near.

I've also filled out my events for our home masters meet in January, on the 22nd.
    I'm going to do the 1650 Free, 200 Fly, 100 IM, 50 Fly, and 500 Free.
    I'm sure I'll be stuck in a slug of relays as well, but that's the fun part anyway.

I'll get back in the pool in the morning.
    Categories
    Daily Practices
  4. Tuesday, Dec. 13

by , December 13th, 2011 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

10 x 50 fly drills

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    10 back, 10 belly

6 x 100 flutter kick w/board

16 x 50
    4 chest press fly
    4 single arm back
    4 breast w/long pullouts
    4 smooth free

50 EZ

Total: 2650

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just did an easy recovery workout today. Unlike many folks who feel great in workout after a travel/taper meet, I never do. I'm always spent and sore, and it takes me a few days to fully recover. I'm very busy with holiday things, so I probably won't worry too much about training this week. Besides, it helps to have a mental break after so much focus.

NE Champs was definitely my best meet of the year after the Albatross meet last March. Though I did a shorter taper than usual, I tapered harder. My last hard 50 was 11 days before the meet; I did just did a few fast 15s and 25s after that. It seemed to work -- I had plenty of raw speed. I didn't do much lactate work this fall (had those 2 illnesses), and I need to change that to improve the last length of my 100s. I saw that my 100 IM spits were 32.0/39.9. Unfortunately, that is fairly typical for me. I don't feel like I have the luxury of taking it out much easier.

I not sure when my next meet will be. I am considering swimming in the USAS Jan. Open on Saturday, but I hate the pool.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -12/14/11

by , December 13th, 2011 at 04:09 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 250 4:00 3:45
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick + 100 swim

1 X 100 easy 2:00
    2 X 100 fast 2:00
    1 X 100 easy 2:00
    4 x 50 fast 1:15
    1 x 100 easy 2:00
    8 X 25 fast :45
    1 X 100 easy -
    All Choice.

10 X 50 kick
    5 on 1:00
    5 on :55

1 X 100 swim

5 X 200 free
    odd: 3:00 even: 2:40
    5 X 100 free
    odd: 1:30 even: 1:20

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5200Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Tue Dec 13th 2011: Trained with Dave Sims

by , December 13th, 2011 at 02:26 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Dec 13th 2011

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=256434&postcount=1731"]Swim Faster Faster[/ame] is approaching 300,000 views
    is that crazy or what?
    Just Updated the SFF Index

Whitney Coached
    scy UT Swim Center: main pool
    5:30 - 7:00 dove in 5:38ish
    wore B70 jammer
    trained with 1980 Olympian Dave Sims who was in town on biz,
    he's 49 & went 50 SCM fr 24.0 / 100 fr 52.9 at long beach
    beside Tyler Ned, Jim, Max & Keith

Warm up
    swam 4 or 500

Main Set:

4 x 100 IM desc 20 sec rest

8 x 50 fr odds on 40 evens on 35

4 x 200 IM desc 30 sec rest between each

8 x 50 on 35

4 x 400 IM desc on 40 sec rest

assigned 8 x 50 on 35/40
    skipped it

8 x 25
    odds no breath
    evens easy

Updated December 13th, 2011 at 02:52 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 12/13/11

by , December 13th, 2011 at 02:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 Back

Repeat three times:
    - 300 FR Pull with buoy on 4:00
    - 200 IM on 3:00
    - 100 kick on 2:00
    - 50 DPS stroke on 1:00
    - 2 x 25 stroke on :30

200 loosen and out
    (2700, 45 min)
    ------

Not too much excitement here today with the swim. Went 3:35/:38/:31 with the pulls (really worked that last one), held the IM's around 2:45, got at least 15 sr with kicks, did IMO on the 50's, and did non-free with the 25's.

Tonight is our squad meet that I organized. I'll blog about that a little later (if anyone is in southern Vermont around 7:30 tonight, hit me up). Before that I will sneak off to see some of my daughter's choir performance.

I had some extra vacation days that need to be used up before the end of the year, so I only have to work the weekend. Been transferring old VHS tapes to dvd as I try not to get into too much trouble around the house. Will start to organized the bills/mail/etc and maybe put a small section of gutter above the front porch (it's in the low 30's today so not horribly cold). I have to clean the pellet stove too ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Addendum

by , December 13th, 2011 at 12:22 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    I'm still feeling great in the pool.

FEELING great, but not BEING great (and by "great" I mean mobile).

At around 7.30 last night, I retrieved Bill White's Sewickley Seadragons Lane B workout from the trash folder of my email and headed to the pool, full of confidence.

The workout included two 800yd straight swims on a 14 minute interval. I haven't done a straight 800 in a long time. In fact I don't even remember the last time I swam that far without breaking it up with some elementary backstroke or breaststroke at some point. The 14 minute interval seemed nice enough that I thought I could just cruise. Merely completing the 800's all free would be the goal of the night.

I did some drills during the warm up and felt pretty smooth. I really enjoyed the first 800 and remembered at about 300-400 yds into it that the longer the swim, the better I feel. When I landed, though, the clock said I'd taken 12 minutes and 35 seconds!!! I was horrified!! Even swimming slowly should have taken less time.

Bottom lip quivering, I launched into the second 800. This time I did as the workout suggested and swam every third 50 "fast" (hehe). Twelve minutes and 30 seconds later I landed, feeling like I was having a coronary. My heart rate was 105... I even did flip turns the whole time!

I'm really devastated by this slowness.

I'm still quite fat from my fruitless Catalina Channel swim weight gain and my bum circumference probably exceeds my wingspan by now.

I wonder how much speed you lose by being fat (and having most of that fat on your backside)?

When I returned home I looked on facebook to see if anyone had reported more tragic results than mine from the evening's workout and noticed that Jim Thornton had consumed a healthy lunch of raw squishy things and some sort of macrobiotic excrement. Assuming he didn't soil himself during the workout, I'd be willing to bet his 800's were a lot faster than mine!!!

I made a list of things that I'd eaten during the day to see if I could blame my poor performance on fatness and diet, but all I'd eaten prior to swimming was:

1 cupcake;
    2 plates of leftover breakfast sausage and mashed potatoes;
    1 toasted ham and cheese sandwich;
    2 bowls of full fat Greek yoghurt with honey;
    1 large cinnamon roll;
    1 bowl hamburger helper; and
    2 bowls of apple sauce with caramel sauce on top.

At a complete loss and feeling quite depressed I ate three Trader Joe's chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches, a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, a packet of flaming hot cheetos and a diet coke.

I'm changing things around today and drinking extra coffee. I'm on my fourth cup of espresso now. I think I'll do the same workout and see what happens.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 12.13.11 - Tuesday workout

by , December 13th, 2011 at 08:34 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave and Dave. Pool temp 83. The 400 at the end was lots of fun. I was shooting for 4:40 and fell just a bit short. Not long ago, I was excited about breaking 5:00. Despite botching my flip turn at 50 yds, my 200 was pretty smooth. At 300 yds, I had built up about 4 body lengths on Roger. Thought that would be enough to hold him off. At 50 to go, he was on my feet. I kind of flailed along doing everything I could to hold him off but he out touched me at the wall . Still, lots of fun to have someone to race like that.

SCY

500 Warm up

Everything pretty much straight through. 100 stroke on 2:00 allows for a little recovery.

8 x 50 Pull - :50 (2 easy/2 hard)
    100 Stroke - 2:00 (fly)
    8 x 50 Kick - :50 (br)
    100 Stroke - 2:00 (back)
    200 IM - 3:00 (2:40)
    8 x 50 Pull - :50 (2 easy/2 hard)
    200 IM - 3:00 (2:45)
    300 Free - 4:00 (3:40)
    8 x 50 Kick - :50
    200 IM - 3:00 (2:47)
    300 Free - 4:00 (3:38)
    1:00 Rest (We might have taken more like 3:00)
    4:00 Free - 5:00 (4:42)

200 Cool down

(4300 Total)

Updated December 13th, 2011 at 09:20 AM by pmccoy

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. I needed a waterproof pillow

by , December 13th, 2011 at 07:23 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    During my kick set I could have used a waterproof pillow and taken a nap.

Sleep swimming a great concept.

1000 free as 200SPSKS
    5x100@1:45 free kick w/fins held 1:30's
    10x100@1:40 w/paddles & bouy as 50 free/50 back held 1:30 on these
    500 free w/ snorkle hold a 6 beat kick

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Workout 12/12/11

by , December 12th, 2011 at 10:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/100 Fly drill/100 BR drill

4 x 100 on 1:40
    - DPS - FR/FR/BK/FR

4 x 100 kick on 1:50
    - Flutter with board, back, fly, flutter with board

5 x 200 FR Pull with buoy on 2:45

50 ez
    8 x 50 on :50 IMO
    50 ez

200 various warm down (had two lengths underwater sdk on back in there)

(3100 yards, 55 minutes)
    -------

My arms felt tight tonight post meet from Saturday. Yesterday I had to work and didn't get in the water - bet I would feel a little better today if I had. I was not quite sure on what to do today at practice, and I was not in the mood for super long/repeater sets, so I picked a little of everything to get back to the grindstone (that taper sure was nice, though).

I am still putting a lot of effort into improving my kick, and held the 100's around 1:35. Will start to increase the yardage on kick sets so I can stay strong for the 200's. I felt good on the pull set as I tried to work on DPS and tight streamlines. I went 2:23/25/26/28/24. Into the 50's I went, not really super fast but more to work on strokes - hit around :35 on all but the dreaded BR (just made :50).

I had a really great time this weekend at BU. I am very excited about my swims and can build into the NE champs in March with ideas from the races that I need to improve on. It is nice to know that we have some really competitive action happening here in NE, and it was great for me to meet up with more folks from the forums and others that I have met along the way.

As I mentioned in my last post, everyone seems happy to share wisdom and pointers to satisfy my inquiring mind, especially since this is my first official year back in the pool after 15 years off. A lot has changed, and I can't remember most of what I learned when I coached our town team for a few years after high school, so I like to think of everyone that is so passionate about the sport of swimming as my coaches. Muchas gracias!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Birthday Swimcaps!

I swam at Riverbank this morning with swim buddies John, Rondi, and Hannah. It was a make-up birthday workout of sorts—I missed my birthday swim last week because I was under the weather. Rondi brought in fun bubble swim caps with flowers for us to wear in honor of the day. Here’s mine:

Birthday cap, with today’s swimsuit in background.

Looking forward to wearing these for some beach synchro next season!

I’m still not back up to swimming workouts. A respiratory infection that responded only to a second course of antibiotics left me with some pretty severe asthma symptoms that I’m still struggling to get back under control. But I am clearly on the mend at this point, and today was able to swim some laps of easy freestyle and backstroke while my pals did a more challenging workout. It felt good to be back in the water, and really great to be swimming with friends again after a couple of weeks off.

My challenge right now is swimming at a pace that does not trigger any asthma symptoms, which is to say a pace that doesn’t make me breathe hard. I have once again found my tempo trainer useful. Now instead of playing “beat the beeps,” though, I’m playing “don’t beat the beeps.” I set the TT for :25 - :28 seconds, then slow down if I get to the 25/50/75/100m marks before the beeps sound. If I start coughing or have trouble breathing, I just set the tt a little slower. At first I was dismayed to be limited to swimming so slowly, but after a few lengths discovered that I was finding joy in just being in the water and in moving around regardless of how fast or hard I was going.

I’m also currently hampered by a rib injury that I sustained coughing—no flip turns or tight streamlining or short axis strokes for me just yet. I was majorly bummed when this happened last week—I knew it was a possibility once I started having bad asthma symptoms, because I’d cracked a rib once before from asthma-related coughing spasms. I’m sure I’ll be bummed about this again, once my breathing is all better and the rib injury is what’s holding me back from full training. But today, at least, I’m in that post-health-scare state of just being really grateful that things are finally headed in the right direction, and feeling optimistic that even if it takes awhile I will get back to feeling (and swimming) like I think I ought.

And once things are all better I’m looking forward to the birthday make-up swim, part two—this one involving the workout David wrote for the occasion. My friends did it without me last week, so they’ve gotten a preview of the fun—it involves a 4500m set that finishes with a 250 fly. It’s a fun crazy challenge to look forward to—and one that I’ll definitely wear my new black flower swim cap for! It seems like it might take a while before I'm ready to tackle the set—I’m thinking I will probably save it until sometime after the new year, maybe down at my Florida pool--but I will eventually get my birthday properly aquatically celebrated!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Doubles - 12/12/11

by , December 12th, 2011 at 04:53 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Went swimming at the crack of dawn, even though I'm off today, because it was scheduled to rain rain rain all day long & I wanted to make sure I got a workout in. It stopped raining around 5am, we swam until 6:45, and it hasn't rained since. So I went back at lunch too, which was a good thing, because I had a better than average workout at lunch. Was keeping the 100's on the 1:20 easily at the 1:10 w/out a draft, w/out toys. Some might say that it's because I was warmed up from the morning, but I'm not so sure.

Morning:
    600 back/free
    2 x 300 pull
    20 x 50 on :50
    12 x 25 drill/sprint on :30
    200 easy
    3 x 400 stroke/free by 50's
    Total: 3900
    Lunch:
    9 x 100 w/50 ez after groups of 3 on 1:30, :25, :20
    3 x 100 on 1:20
    100 on 1:40
    3 x 100 on 1:20
    3 x 100 IM on 1:40
    100 on 1:40
    3 x 100 kick on 1:40
    3 x 100 on 1:20 pull
    100 easy
    3 x 100 on 1:20 pull
    Total: 3000

Elbows doing fine until the very very end, and then they REALLY locked up,sat on the wall chatting for too long. Was intending to do another 200 cool down, but I could hardly bend my arms at that point. Luckily, all is well now. No Celebrex or Ibuprofen for the past few days (other than for headache yesterday, that is. At this time they have a dull pain, but not a sharp pain, so I am encouraged. After spending all afternoon on the phone/computer with the Dell technicians, having the elbows in the bent position, I'm rather surprised. And happy.

Updated December 12th, 2011 at 05:20 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -12/13/11

by , December 12th, 2011 at 01:19 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 300 5:00 4:30
    2 X 150 2:30 2:15
    4 X 50 descend 1:00 :45
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick -

4 X 50 kick 1:00
    4 x 25 sprint kick :45
    Two rounds

1 X 100 swim

1 X 200 IM 3:30
    1 X 75 stroke 1:20
    2 X 50 stroke 1:05
    Four rounds.
    75's/50's: 1 round of each IM order

1 X 300 4:30 4:00
    1 X 200 3:00 2:40
    1 X 100 1:30 fast
    Two rounds freestyle.
    Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5400Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Mon Dec 12th 2011

by , December 12th, 2011 at 12:01 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Dec 12th 2011

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

did not train, Thu, Fri, Sat & Sun
    Decided to take a break

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=254975&postcount=1715"]Swim Faster Faster[/ame] is approaching 300,000 views
    is that crazy or what, pretty soon it's likely to pass up [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4298"]Ande's Swimming Blog[/ame] which has 304,300 views

Whitney Coached
    scy UT Swim Center: main pool north end
    5:30 - 7:00 dove in 5:38ish
    wore B70 jammer
    trained with Todd beside Jim, Tyler, James max & nate

Warm up
    swam easy 50's

Main Set:

10 x 100
    1 on 1:25, # 2 on 1:20 ... #5 on 1:05, # 6 on 1:05, 7 on 1:10, ... 10 on 1:25
    felt slow skipped a couple 50's

500 with 3 SDKs off each wall

assigned
    10 x 100 pulling
    1 on 1:20, # 2 on 1:15 ... #5 on 1:00, # 6 on 1:00, 7 on 1:05, ... 10 on 1:20
    felt slow skipped a couple 50's
    caught a ride on the big blue paddle express (todd)

kicked 2 rounds of
    25 50 75 100 100 75 50 25
    1st on 25 base
    2nd on 20 base

12 x 50 on 40
    1) fl bk
    2) bk br
    3) br fr
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. NE Champs, Day 2, Dec. 11

by , December 12th, 2011 at 11:12 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I had decided to scratch the 200 IM, so was able to grab a bit more sleep and take my time getting to the pool. Good thing because the Starbucks across from my hotel was closed -- what?!?! Got in a decent warm up in the diving well and was ready to go. Tired, but ready to go. (BTW, I have no idea how mid-D or D types do any pace work in the crowded warm up pools at big meets.)

50 fly, 30.35

This time was under my WR from last March of 30.5. So I was thrilled! Fly felt good until the last few strokes where my arms really felt the meet fatigue. And it was technically fairly solid. I got off the blocks FAST. I didn't get max distance, but I could tell my reaction time was great and I had a clean entry. Only flaw was not pushing off deep enough on the turn. I had one dolphin kick on the surface as a result. Took one more breath than usual on the last length, but it helped me spot the wall and finish well. I guess all those fast 50 flys for time I've been doing in practice paid off.

But there was no time to celebrate! I had 20 minutes until my next race. I swam down around 250 and when I emerged, they were already on heat 2 of the women's 100 free ...

50 free, 28.53 (split in 100 free):

My body was screaming with lactic acid build up behind the blocks. I really would have liked an hour off to rest and get in the correct mental state of mind for this race. Instead, all I was thinking was "I can't wait until this race is over." I had a decent start, not as fast as in fly. Again, the race was technically pretty solid with the exception that my right arm was caught underwater sightly on the breakout after the turn. I may have taken an extra breath on the second length too; I can't really remember. It also felt like I was dragging my legs. Stud video'd the race for me though, and it didn't look nearly as bad as it felt. Maybe the legs were on autopilot. I was very surprised and happy to see that time on the wall. I was fearful it would be a second slower. And this time is only .3 off my B70 PR. I then caused a minor delay of meet as I took 1:00+ to swim my second 50 of the 100.

I was beyond happy that I had already logged a 100 back time this year as that was the last event of the meet. And I had no more 100s in me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall, this was a great meet for me even with a slightly shorter taper. Much better than Auburn, I think. But of course SCM is more my natural milieu and my favorite course. As the event rankings stand now, I have the fastest time in all 4 50s (and 2 100s) -- something I never expected!!!

My elbows don't really feel any worse for wear after a long weekend of sprinting. But they still hurt when I try to lift things, so I will continue to avoid upper body weights for awhile. Probably won't get to the pool today. I have stuff to do with Lil Fort. I'm so proud of her -- she ran her first 8K this weekend and sent me a text saying it was "very fun."

Results:
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3514
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...-World-Records

Updated December 12th, 2011 at 03:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  17. Finally some aerobic with rest

by , December 12th, 2011 at 09:54 AM (Random Nonsense)
    I felt really good in the water today which surprised me after not cooling down after the relay meet, not swimming Sunday and consuming copious amounts of alcohol. I was even short on sleep, but it was probably post meet motivation to train hard.

Warm up
    - 350 free
    - 200 kick w/fins
    - 350 free
    Transition
    - 4x75 drill/free/drill
    Main Set
    - 300 free on 4:00 (3:28)
    - 3x100 kick on 1:20 (fins)
    - 3x100 free on 1:20 (1:06s)
    - 300 kick (fins)
    - 300 free on 4:00 (3:22)
    - 3x100 on 1:20 (1:04, 1:06, 1:04+)
    Cool down
    - 300 ez

Pretty happy with that.

Updated December 12th, 2011 at 11:30 AM by qbrain

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 12.12.11 - Challenge day week 4

by , December 12th, 2011 at 09:22 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave and Dave. Pool temp ~84. Played soccer for about an hour and a half yesterday afternoon. Wasn't in my best condition for the challenge today. Next week will probably be our last day of soccer so I should be more rested for week 6. I'll probably need it.

SCY

400 Warm up

6 x 50 Free - :45
    4 x 100 - 1:10 (1:07, 1:10, 1:11, 1:08)
    Two touch and go's and sore legs kind of did me in. I also misjudged a couple walls. I knew I wasn't 100% on the six 50s. Still, I was able to dig deep and make the last 100 by a couple seconds. Pretty sure I can do 5. Might have to put my aquablade jammer on once we get past that one.
    50 Easy

4 Times through:
    * 25 Fly/50 Free - 1:10
    * 50 Fly/25 Free - 1:10
    * 75 Fly - 1:10
    50 Easy
    What better way to finish off some hard 100s than with some fly. Interval wasn't too bad but it still hurt.

16 x 100 - 1:40 (:10) up/down kick
    Saturated the up/down w/ mostly br kick.

12 x 50 - :50
    * Odds Fly/Kick
    * Evens Free

200 Cool down

(4500 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. A challenging morning workout

by , December 12th, 2011 at 07:18 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Not too bad this morning, just one long set.

This was 4 rounds first two no equipment second two with paddles & bouy

4x[3x100@1:45, 1:40, 1:35, 1:30
    ....[2x100@1:40, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25
    ....[1x100@1:35, 1:30, 1:25, 1:20
    ....[1x100 free kick with board
    200 free w/snorkle alt 25 kick/25 swim

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Horrendous Chumpionship Meet

by , December 11th, 2011 at 08:54 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Should I have shaved?
    At least I can blame the hair for some truly bad swims.

The 200 BR was probably the best of the meet. I was 1.5 sec slower than last year...could this be the net result of body hair? Who knows for sure but I'll go with yes, although my splits suggest I took a nap on the 3rd 50. I normally get at least 1 good swim...but I didn't even get close to last year...on anything. Everything was 2 seconds off...I'm chalking it up to a confluence of small details...at least I had good time with my friends and I was a true Stud and swam all 5 relays including the 800 at the end to take one for the team...

...eyes down for Greensboro...
    Categories
    Uncategorized