View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. More IMing

Today was another solo swim for me today at Riverbank. I’ve been thinking I might see some TNYA teammates at lap swim up there, since one of our regular pools is closed (yet again!) for maintenance issues for a couple of weeks. But nope, just the usual RB suspects today. Here’s what I did:

1200 lcm warmup (400 swim, 200 IM kick, 200 pull, 200 rev. IM drill, 200 IM swim)

4 x through, one round each stroke IM order
    4 x 50, odds ST K @ 1:10, evens ST drill @ 1:05
    3 x 100, done as 1 FR @ 1:45, 1 50FR/50ST @ 1:45, 1 ST @ 2:00
    1 x 200 IM @ 3:45, working current + any previous rounds’ ST
    1 x 300 FR @ 4:45
    :30 or 1:00 rest

800 warmdown BK/FR by 50s

The water was very warm today, but otherwise this was a very satisfying swim. Doing a long IM workout for the second day in a row was maybe a smidgeon less fun than yesterday, but it was still nice, and I felt very calm and relaxed throughout. I might have to think up another approach for tomorrow’s workout, though—3 straight days of IMing might be a bit much.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Friday, Dec. 17, 2010 5:15am

by , December 17th, 2010 at 10:56 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I decided today was a day to sit on the bench with the rest of the folks and talk for a while this morning about how cold the pool looks. This is a daily ritual for most of them, so I guess I might as well join them once in a while. That left me not very motivated to do much.

400 Free warmup

2 x 250 Free Pull @ 3:15 (I did 2:46, 2:43) <--I saw that Tjrpatt did these the other day and they look fun, which they were

200 Free EZ

(25 EZ, 25 Fly sprint from dive) x2

100 Back :30 rest
    100 Breast :30 rest
    100 Free
    all of these were just relaxed swimming back and forth, back and forth (It's Friday)
    6 x 2-turn 50s with the group
    2 free, 2 back, 2 fly or breast working on streamlines
    I did about 8-9 kicks of each turn which is a lot for me, but they felt good. I usually only do a couple on fly in a race. Maybe I'll try to make a change for my New Years resolution.
    -------------
    1800 yards

Updated December 17th, 2010 at 12:54 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  3. 12/17/10

by , December 17th, 2010 at 10:01 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Warm Up
    400 IM Drill (did it non fly)

16 x 50 Fr/choice Drill :50/1:00
    I did the first 4 BR on 1:00 to set broken 200 time/target :41, :41, :40:, :41 so I think I can improve my 200BR 2:45 just from those numbers.
    400 K 200 no fins/200 fins
    400 Pull 200 Fr/200 Choice
    8 x 100 1:30 descend
    5 x 100 Kick 1:50 descend
    5 x 100 Pull descend 1:40

300 Cool
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. No crazy swimming this Friday

by , December 17th, 2010 at 09:08 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Tomorrow I have a meet and the first event is the one for me 50 Fly. I am in a heat with 2 girls who just got back from Jr. Nat's and one of the boys I coach will be in my heat too so I have to be presentable.

Only easy painfree swimming today.

100,200,300,400 Free on :15R
    500 Free kick w/fins & snorkle work the legs build each 100
    600 Back kick w/fins as 100 fashion model/100 partial recovery/100 streamline
    100,200,300,200,100 Free on :10R alt 50 Drill/50 Swim

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. PM Swim at GMU, Thurs., Dec. 16

by , December 16th, 2010 at 09:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Slept in today, trying to battle my cold. And I think it's holding at just a cold. Woke up to snow and schools closed 2 hours early. Was feeling slightly better, so decided to head to practice at Mason tonight. And, honestly, I didn't feel like thinking up my own practice. And I definitely didn't feel like any sprint work. It'll just be aerobic & technique work for a couple weeks as I regroup.

Got there early -- no traffic, everyone scared of 2 inches of snow -- did 15 minutes of core work and stretching while chatting with Melanie.

Swim @ Mason:

Warm up:

600 swim, middle 200 no free

400 IM, 50 kick/50 drill

600 pull
    I didn't have my paddles and wouldn't have pulled in any event w/o getting my RC exercises going again. So instead did 6 x 100 back kick w/fins @ mod pace @ 1:30.

Main Sets:

6 x 150, done as 100 IM + 50 dolphin kick on back w/fins @ 2:15 (It's been so long since I did a 100 IM in practice, I'd almost forgotten how to do one.)

50 EZ

7 x 100 @ 1:50
    1-3 kick, no fins, descend to fast
    4 = easy free
    5-7 kick, no fins, descend to fast

I descended to medium. Went 10-8-8-8 SDK per 25.

50 EZ

Starting to feel absolutely gassed and crampy here ...

3 x through:
    2 x 75 medium @ 1:15
    2 x 25 fast @ :30
    30 seconds extra rest between rounds
    wore fins, very tired

round 1 = free
    round 2 = non free (did breast)
    round 3 = kick

I had no fast gear and did all the 25s as easy speed UW shooters

100 EZ

Total: 4100/1950 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'd almost forgot what a regular workout was like ... Thursday nights at Mason are always fun b/c Cheryl gives a mix of stroke/kick/sprint. I'm beat from that effort and pretty glad that school is already delayed 2 hours in the am. More sleep!

Updated December 17th, 2010 at 03:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. When the cat's away, the mice will . . .

. . . do IM sets!

This morning I had zero swimming buddies and swam all by myself up at Riverbank. Literally so—I had my own lane for much of the lap swim session. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400 swim, 200 IM kick, 200 pull, 200 rev. IM drill/swim by 25)

8 x 150 FR/x/FR @ 2:45, with x=Kick rev. IM order on odds, Swim rev. IM order on evens

6 x 200 @ 3:30, odds FR, evens IM
    [Goal was to keep FRs under 3:00 (yes, barely) and descend IMs (3:25, 3:17, 3:15)]

2000 straight, every 5th length ST (IM order), first 1000 pull, second 1000 swim, no intervals or clock-watching, all open turns done “backwards” ŕ la Gigi

400 IM K/S by 50

300 play + warmdown

During the 200s set there was someone I didn’t know in the next lane racing me on every other lap. It reminded me of this Kara Goucher blog entry that my husband emailed me, which I quite liked. She seems to have such a great attitude!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 2 Christmas Cards plus Lefty the Christmas Pug: A Tale

by , December 16th, 2010 at 12:56 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I have never been one of those types who send out Christmas cards on a regular basis or, for that matter, on an irregular basis.

Something about finding a suitable card, scribbling a suitably festive message thereupon, getting envelopes, getting stamps, the orgy of licking that ensues, the pasty mouth that makes it hard to swallow and causes you to imagine you have become transformed into an iguana, the trip down to the Post Office to stand in line and make sure you have weighed things correctly, all of this, well, has conspired to turn me into one of those 58-year-olds who eschews Christmas cardery of the Traditional Sort.

But this year, thanks to technology, I have decided to send all my friends in the USMS greater swimming community not one (1), but two (2), count them! two (2) Christmas cards.

Christmas Card Greetings No. 1:

Jim uses an open fire to burn the hair off a monkey prior to machete chopping it into body parts for boiling in a Christmas cauldron! Here's wishing that your Traditional Christmas Feasting Foodstuff o' Choice does not have fingerprints, which makes swallowing difficult.

I am hoping that this first Christmas card--a traditional favorite of mine--will serve more than just to put you into an appreciative mood regarding the astringent cold waves that are now gripping much of the east coast. I hope, as well, that it will help to jump start the inevitable diet that comes in the wake of Yuletide cookies-marinated-in-nog overindulgence.

Christmas Card Greetings No. 2:

Here is a homemade greeting card that invites a certain amount of mental interactivity. Enjoy piling on additional clothing until even the vaguest trace of my hidden existence becomes an unsustainable article of faith!

And finally...

This morning's anecdote retold as a Christmas story:

Lefty the Christmas Pug

Here are our two pugs, Lefty and Biscuit, playing with Mollie Nadler a few weeks ago (Mollie was doing some house painting and took a break to play with the dogs.)

Sorry for tilt here. I can't figure out how to fix it. That said, Mollie does look better in the horizontal position.

About three weeks ago, on the coldest night of the winter up till that point, I fed Lefty and Biscuit their dinners outside and left for swimming practice, confident my sons would let the little pugs in from the dark, cold night and the surrounding forest in which bobcats and coyotes are rumored to prowl.

When I got back from swimming practice, Lefty--the plump male pug--was indeed in his spot in the kitchen, gnawing on a ham bone. But Biscuit, the lithe female pug, was not in her usual spot, that being the heating register where she regularly stokes herself with hot forced air.

I went outside into the previously described night and called for her. Unfortunately, her hearing is not that great these days, and no manner of shouts or whistles managed to summon her.

I called both sons on their respective cells--they had gone out to respective friends' houses--and asked them where Biscuit was. They both told me they had searched for her to no avail.

Lefty, the amiable but dumb pug, began begging for a dog treat. He is an adorable dog, but can be pretty annoying what with his insatiable appetite for food, and his nearly endless whimpering cries and beseeching for same!

"Lefty," I said, "how is it that you are here and Biscuit is out there somewhere, possibly being eaten? I thought she was the smart one, and you the dumb one, but here you are, and who knows where she is?"

We went out looking for her. I put on my headlamp and bushwhacked through the dark woods above our house, but to no avail, Lefty all the while at my heels. Then we reversed course and headed into the dark woods beneath our house. At one point, I could no longer see Lefty and feared that he, too, might be lost.

Finally, I managed to find Lefty, but his little female bride remained irretrievable.

Lefty and I went home, hungry and disconsolate, respectively.

It was so bitterly cold out!

I tortured myself with images of poor little Biscuit out there in the night, a smart and keen eyed pug whose greatest pleasure in life--more so even than food and treats--was her perch by the heating register.

I fell asleep, depressed, already in a state of pre-mourning.

Sometime around 4 a.m., I awoke and went downstairs to check the three doors to our house, hoping against hope Biscuit had somehow made her way back and was patiently shivering in wait to be let in.

Front door? No Biscuit!

Patio door? No Biscuit!

Kitchen door....but no sooner had I entered the kitchen, which serves by night as our pugs' bedroom, than I saw not one (1) but two (2) pugs in their twin pug beds!!!!

Biscuit was home and back inside!

In the morning, I learned from my older son Ben that when he got home at 3 a.m., Biscuit was waiting by the back door, and he let her in.

Safe and sound!

Flash forward approximately three weeks to this very morning, Dec. 16h, 2010. My younger son Jack, now a high school senior and future Tarheel (accepted yesterday via early decision to his top choice, U. North Carolina-Ashville!), needed a ride to school.

We put the pugs outside and drove down to Leetsdale, locus of Quaker Valley High School, at 7:30 a.m.

I was back home by 7:45, and as I drove up the driveway, I beeped the horn several times to alert the pugs that I was back, that it was time for them to gather at the homestead, and that I would feed them their breakfast.

The temperature was 12 degrees F.

The pugs did not answer the beep.

They were not in their Dogloo outside.

I could not find them shivering in the garage.

Nowhere!

The beloved pugs, on the new coldest morning of the year, one week and one day before Christmas, were gone!

I whistled and yelled for them, to no avail. I went inside and started making coffee. Sometimes, I think they can smell the coffee brewing and know that their breakfast cannot be far behind once this olfactory stimulus hits the air.

And like clockwork, I soon heard an insistent scratching of pug nails against frigid aluminum! They were back, robustly alive, uneaten by either coyotes or bobcats!

But when I threw open the door to see what was accounting for all the clatter, there was only one (1) not two (2) pug dogs there to greet me!

A shivering Lefty, who immediately began his pleading intercessions for victuals.

I let Lefty in and he begged even more frenetically.

"Where's Biscuit, Lefty?" I asked him, the entire horror-show of three weeks ago back in a flash of deja vu misery!

Lefty replied" "Rrrreee yelpppp roofffff arrrryllllll arrrppp!"

Then he stamped his little feet in a food frenzy dance and began to yawn boisterously in a fashion my wife has taught him. It is adorable to hear him yawn in this desperate way--a signal that usually nets him food.

Hopeless, I said to Lefty, "I know you are a little dumb, Lefty. And I do not believe this will get through that thick occipital bone that cradles your brain pan. But please!

"Find Biscuit. Find Biscuit. Find Biscuit."

And then I sent him back outside without food. I imagined he would just hover by the door and start scratching it again to be let in. But to my amazement, Lefty trotted off with what almost seemed like purpose.

Two minutes later, the scratching renewed. When I threw the door open to let him back in, I was absolutely astonished to see not one (1) but two (2) pug dogs waiting patiently to be let in!

Perhaps it was coincidence, Perhaps Biscuit chose this very moment to come back, completely independent of any search party efforts on Lefty's part.

But I don't think this was the case.

I think Lefty did, indeed, find Biscuit.

I think Lefty is, indeed, smart after all!

It is, I am convinced, a True Christmas Pug Miracle!

I fed them a fine bowl of assorted meats and meat byproducts followed up by dog treats for them both!

They are now downstairs cuddled together by the heat register, taking a long winter's nap.

And I, for the first time in many, many a year, find myself in something that faintly borders the Christmas spirit!

May all my swimming friends capture a similar sentiment this season as well! Here's wishing you all a faint bordering brush with the Christmas spirit!

Updated December 16th, 2010 at 02:00 PM by jim thornton

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010

by , December 16th, 2010 at 10:58 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup/Main:

20 x 100 stay on interval throughout
    5 @ 1:30 Swim
    5 @ 1:25 Pull
    5 @ 1:20 Swim
    5 @ 1:15 Pull

5 x 100 Kick w/ fins @ 1:40

5 x 100 (50 Fly/50 Breast) @ 1:45 stretch out

200 EZ
  9. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming

by , December 16th, 2010 at 07:47 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Since my Disney trip I sometimes get that song in my brain and for a swimmer it is fine.

500 Free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1 @:10R
    500 Free w/fins & snorkle as 50 kick/50 swim maintain good head and body position
    500 Free kick w/fins as 25easy/25mod/25fast
    4x200@3:30 IM w/paddles & bouy
    4x50 from block 20 yards fly fast rest free easy
    500 Free broken 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1 @:05R

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Upcoming meets - update

by , December 15th, 2010 at 10:37 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    They just posted the info for the Inland NW SCY Champs meet in Moscow, Idaho.
    It's not till the end of March, but I'm already picking events.
    Saturday:
    400 IM 4:46.89
    200 Back 2:18.00
    100 Breast 1:09.39
    Sunday:
    50 Breast 31.50
    200 Breast 2:33.97
    1000 Free 11:15.00 <--I'm going to go for a fast 500 time and just flip turn and keep going. Easier to do that than think of a 1000. That way I can maybe be under 10:45.

Not all are my "good" events, but since I'm swimming them at Nationals the next month I'll just have fun at this one. Nationals: 200 Fly, 100 Back, 200 Free, 500 Free, 100 Fly, 200 IM
    Categories
    Meets
  11. Wed., Dec. 15

by , December 15th, 2010 at 07:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bad cold is raging.

Spent the day:

30 minutes = stretching/yoga (all I could muster)

2 hours online shopping

2 hours dragging myself through the mall

2 hours in high anxiety about Fort Son's pending Early Action application. Result: deferred to regular decision.

I guess it's much better to be deferred than rejected. Only 13+% are admitted early where Fort Son applied early action (Yale). 36+% rejected outright. Now we have to send off all the other applications and wait and wait. One of Fort Son's buddies got rejected EA from Stanford with almost perfect SAT scores and grades and he has the distinction of being an ultra runner and ironman triathlete. The competition is fierce these days! No matter, I am very proud of him. And I'm glad he came with me to Boston b/c he liked the schools there.

Next Meets:

My next meet will likely be the Albatross Open:

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=2760.

I swim different events every year at this meet. Right now, barring another pre-meet flu issue, I think I may swim the 100 fly, 100 IM and 50 free. (Though it's always tempting to do the 4 x 50.)

Also thinking of cruising in late for this meet:

http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/TSentry2011.pdf

I was thinking of doing the 100 back for practice. I could even do it as part of the 200 back, if they have electronic timing. Not sure if they do at this meet.

Updated December 15th, 2010 at 11:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  12. DOUBLE Wed Dec 15th 2010

by , December 15th, 2010 at 04:30 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE Wed Dec 15th 2010

decided to use this workout to rest more &
    do some quality 200's for time

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

just renewed my USMS membership for 2011
    Don't have a masters team?
    Register with Longhorn Masters

scy
    Bess Coached
    UT Swim Center, main pool
    noon to 1:15
    trained in my own lane
    beside james, larry, jim & max
    less CROWD, cooler water
    WORE speedo PRO jammer

WARM UP
    missed it

Main SET:

Assigned:
    4 rounds (one each stroke) of
    025, 050, 075, 100
    50 k (regroup before & after the 150 k)
    050, 100, 150, 200
    round 1 FL on 25 per 25 base
    round 2 bk on 25 per 25 base
    round 3 br on 25 per 25 base
    round 4 fr on 35 per 50 base

DID:
    4 rounds of
    25, easy, 25 easy 25 easy, 25 easy
    50 k easy speed
    50 easy,
    50 easy,
    150 skip
    200 strong for time

round 1: 200 IM went 2:11

round 2: 200 bk went 2:09

round 3: 200 br went 2:27

round 4: Rested about 10 minutes before the last hard 200

200 IM
    max stinchcombe got my splits off the clock
    27 33 36 29
    2:05

100 easy

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    South Central Zone SCY Championships
    Josh Davis Natatorium, San Antonio, TX

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
    2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
    Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
    Order of Events
    not real thrilled with Sunday's order of events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -12/16/10

by , December 15th, 2010 at 03:27 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40 1:30
    2 X 200 3:20 3:00
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

8 X 50 1:00
    odd: moderate
    even: build to fast

3 X 100 @ 100% 4:00
    Easy 50 swim

1 X 200 kick 4:20
    4 X 75 kick 1:40
    6 X 50 kick 1:00

1 X 300 free 4:30
    4 X 75 choice 1:15
    Descend 75's 1-4
    Three times through.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5150Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2010 5:00am

by , December 15th, 2010 at 01:02 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Again this was one of those mornings with about 10 minutes of standing around trying not to get wet this morning.

Almost 5:15 before getting wet with:
    200 Free
    100 Kick
    200 Pull

300 IM

20 x 25 Fly @ :30 (held about :16s)

100 Kick EZ

400 Free Pull - felt strong

100 Free EZ

with my group:
    4 x 50's drill 1 of each stroke
    100 IM working long streamlines
    -------------
    2200 yards

I have about 5 weeks till my next competition. It's right here in wonderful Wenatchee. At least I don't have to travel far. Entries should be coming out soon, at least that's what our coach said this morning. 200 fly & 500 free for sure, after that will depend on the meet lineup.
  15. Wed Dec 15th 2010

by , December 15th, 2010 at 11:33 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Dec 15th 2010

LIFTED WEIGHTS

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=231900&postcount=8"]2010 Dubai World SCM Swimming Championships[/ame] began today

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=231448&postcount=1544"]Swim Faster Faster INDEX[/ame]

Bob said he liked [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=231379&postcount=1542"]SFF Tip 317 on Breastroke[/ame].

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

just renewed my USMS membership for 2011
    Don't have a masters team?
    Register with Longhorn Masters

scy
    Whitney Coached
    UT Swim Center, diving well
    6:30 - 8:00 dove in 6:34ish
    trained with Brandon, Ritchie, Kevin, & Kelly
    beside Todd, tyler, chris, Nate, doug, marcio & amy
    CROWDED LANES TODAY
    WORE yingfa jammer

WARM UP
    2 rounds of
    250 done 200 fr 50 IM
    250 done 100 k 100 im 50
    went 1:11 on 100 k

Main SET:

4 rounds (one each stroke) of
    150 k (regroup before & after the 150 k)

round 1 FL on 25 per 25 base
    (did 1 arm stroke drill, swapping R & L)

round 2 bk on 25 per 25 base
    went 1:48 on 150 k

round 3 br on 30 per 25 base
    held 40's per 50, had traffic issues in the 200

round 4 fr on 35 per 50 base
    made it

~ ~ ~

100 easy

thinking about doubling today,
    rest on the
    25, 50, 75 100 and 50, 100, 150 to
    focus on going fast on the
    150 k & 200 swim

Next meets are:

Fri Apr 1 - Sun 3, 2011
    South Central Zone SCY Championships
    Josh Davis Natatorium, San Antonio, TX

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
    2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
    Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
    Order of Events
    not real thrilled with Sunday's order of events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Getting back on it! 12/15/10

by , December 15th, 2010 at 10:35 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well decided to go for it today and get back to solid swim training. As the workout progressed I realised I'm still a little mashed from the weekend.
    Warm Up
    650 Fr
    8 x 100 FR 1:30 desc 1-4

IM Set
    8 x 75 1:30 Scull, Kick, Swim. I dodged a 50 on the Back someplace...too much on that interval and wearing a drag suit.
    4 x 125 2:15with extra 25 of each stroke per swim.
    2:15 is probably good for me but not only 2 days after zones. I got to the last round and could not get my body to do fly...so I did free rather than butterstruggle...but overall I did good.

Aero Set
    4 x 200 3:00 supposed to be descend but I already felt spent so I just wanted to make the int. I only did 150 on #3 as I skipped the first 50.

Cool Down

400 Fin Kick had a social and recapped my heroics from the weekend to my training partner. We decided to kick my butt for the next 3 weeks ahead of a late January SCY meet to see what I can do. Stay Tuned.
    350 EZ FR

Updated December 15th, 2010 at 12:23 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Did not want to get up this morning but....

by , December 15th, 2010 at 07:41 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I did it anyway. All the way in I was thinking maybe I should warm pool it today. Then I got there and the lap pool was 80 so I just stayed were I normally swim

10x100@1:45 free
    500 kick w/fins alt 100 free/100 fly
    5x100@1:45 Fly w/fins as 25 rt arm/25 lt arm/25 kick/25 swim to loosen my back that is why I do it so much
    5x100@1:45 as 50free/50back w/paddles
    500 Free as 100 swim/100 fist drill

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Monday, 12/14/10

by , December 14th, 2010 at 04:22 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    At the gym, on the treadmill.

Decided to do some intervals just to make the run a bit less monotonous.

Warmup of 5 minutes of walk and easy jog.
    5 x 1/2 mi w/about 30 sec of walking between each.

5 min of walking to cool down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Vid + Recovery Swim, Dec. 14

by , December 14th, 2010 at 03:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

100 easy

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    5 x back/belly/right side/left side

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

10 minutes hot tub

The showers weren't working and were frigid!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Still pretty beat from the weekend. And the cold I was getting before is now in full force. Better now than at the meet, I guess. Hoping to go to yoga tomorrow. I seem to recall I have another PRP treatment this week as well. Finally heard of another swimmer (Nuthin But 50s) who's going to try PRP in lieu of surgery on his ACL.

100 back vid:

Stud video'd my 100 back (1:10.26) from NE Champs. Videos are always very revealing. I was underwater more than I thought despite the calf cramp. Even managed what looked like 9 SDKs on the last 25. My turnover seemed very slow and I was crossing over with my left arm. I don't usually do that. I was definitely lounging leisurely into my last couple turns. That could be party due to my unfamiliarity with backstroke flags set at 5 meters instead of 5 yards. Splits = 33.68/36.58.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlapHo1HHc"]YouTube - P1020994[/nomedia]

Same slow turnover from my 100 back in Atlanta (1:01.9), though I was underwater more there.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube - Les 100 BK[/nomedia]

Tom Dolan Meet:

This was the first time in years I missed spectating and cheering at this meet. Fortunately, there was great coverage on swimming world tv. http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../workouts/7540. Jack Conger's 1:43.1 200 back was amazing! I also liked comment that Janet Hu (NAG record holder and winner of the 100 fly here) trains frequently with a monofin. Mine is still awol.

Updated December 14th, 2010 at 06:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -12/15/10

by , December 14th, 2010 at 02:35 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:20 3:00
    2 X 150 2:30 2:15
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

4 X 100 2:00
    6 X 50 1:15
    8 X 25 sprint :40
    50's and 100's: odds: moderate to easy evens: @100%
    Take a short break before the 25's

1 X 200 kick 4:20
    8 X 50 kick 1:10
    odds: moderate evens: fast

1 X 200 free 3:00
    1 X 200 IM 3:30
    1 X 200 stroke 4:00
    Three times through