View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Nice Workout! 4/2/10

by , April 2nd, 2010 at 07:01 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I was hankering for some speed work today and mulled over a set with a college swimmer friend....here's what I did.

Warm Up
    200 K
    200 Pull
    200 Swim
    10 x 50 Kick no fins 1:15 Held 1 minute thereabouts and under on a few.
    2 x 50 EZ

Main
    10 x 100 FR 2:00 1,3,6,8 1st 25 hard. 2,4,7,9 4th 25 hard. 5 & 10 1st and 4th hard. Held 1:25 but was well under on most...some early ones were around 1:20.
    I must say this was just enough challenge yet made me feel good when I got it done.
    4 x 50 EZ

Stroke Set

4 x 100 BR pull fast hands 2:30
    4 x 100 BR pull/fly kick 2:30
    4 x 100 BR kick no board
    2 x 50 BR 1:30
    6 x 50 Swim

Lifted afterward and felt quite good Going out to celebrate a 21st birthday...should be fun!

Updated April 3rd, 2010 at 12:57 AM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Eureka! April 2

by , April 2nd, 2010 at 05:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY

Warm up:

700 various

Aerobic Set:

8 x 100 single arm fly @ 1:45

Speed Work:

Fabulous luck! At this point in my workout, Pete "Nuthin But 50s" came in. We helped one of the swim instructors on his block starts. Then he let us have at the blocks. I did 18-20 starts off the block. 2/3 of them were pretty good. Pete and I critiqued each other. Awesome!

50 EZ

Pete had planned a backstroke sprint set, which suited me just fine. So we did:

8 x 25 backstroke from the blocks @ 2:00. 25 EZ after each one. On a couple starts, I detected putting my head back too far after entry, breaking streamline. Tried to correct this. I need to do this set with a B70 soon. I may bring one to practice on Sunday.

200 EZ

Total: 2150, plus starts (probably 500) = 2650

-----------------------------------------

Commentary:

So happy to work on starts!!! And a sprint workout was what I needed after some aerobic work this week. I still plan to take tomorrow off.

Pete also told me that the speed socket goggles do, in fact, come in clear. He wants a pair too.

Off to drinks and dinner and then another regatta tomorrow

Articles:

Sports Injuries: When to tough it out

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/fa...?ref=nutrition

Shoulder pain:

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui...nyt-classifier

Updated April 4th, 2010 at 08:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Easy Friday

by , April 2nd, 2010 at 12:48 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    4/2/10
    SCY, with Carrie

100 swim free
    200 swim alt. 25 free/25 back and hold the stroke count
    (still hitting 16 on both free and back)
    300 IM drill
    400 pull free: hold stroke count
    (with p&b, most was 14 spl with an occasional 13)
    500 swim alt back/free: keep walls as long as possible
    swim 5 x 100 on 2:00: odds free, evens back; descend freestyle
    (on free went 1:24-1:21-1:18, on back went 1:28, 1:25, kept stroke count at 16-17 on all)
    kick 200 choice
    swim 6 x 50 free on 1:00: descend 1-3, 4-6 to about 80%
    (went 40-37-35 both times)

cool 8 x 25 drill
    --
    Total: 2700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 4/2: Team Practice

Warm up
    - 300 swim
    - 300 kick w/ fins and board
    - 300 back
    Transition
    - 3x100 drill swim (fingertip/fist/zipper)
    Main Set
    - 8x50 back on 1:00
    - 200 kick with fins (flutter)
    - 6x50 back on :55
    - 200 kick with fins (dolphin)
    - 4x50 back on :50
    - 200 kick with fins (flutter)
    Cool down
    - 200 back
    - 200 free

My left shoulder was sore from shoulder press Wednesday, so I laid off the freestyle and did more back. The shoulder felt better after practice.

Held :40-:42 on the backs.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Oh what a beautiful morning!

The spring weather has returned, the trees are beginning to flower, and it was a glorious sunny morning. All that and a LC workout too! I swam with AG masters this morning, and this is what we did:

600 LCM warmup

8 x 100 (50 drill/25 moderate/25 controlled breathing)

12 x 50 K @ 1:20: 4 FR, 4 FL, 4 UDK [this was a fin set, but I did it barefoot, because I didnít have my Zuras with me and Iím picky about what fins I will wear]

4 x 400 FR @ 8:00: 2 easy, 1 mod. 1 fast [I alternated 50 FR/50 BK on all these; and practiced my back-to-breast flippy turns on the BK/FR transitions on the first 2. On all of them, I concentrated on FR hand entry angle and kicking; went 6:16 on last one]

400 warmdown + turn practice

I was really happy to get some good tips from Coach Marko on my transition turn (throw head back, then tuck tighter). Iíve decided that for the time being when doing back-to-breast turns in practice Iíll do an open turn whenever the timing works out to touch with my right (good) hand, and a flippy turn when I hit with my left. I next swim IMs in competition a week from Sunday, so that will be a good incentive to be diligent about working to make this turn better. Iím not sure if it will ultimately be faster for me, especially considering the extra breath-holding it entails, but itís worth testing it out (plus Iíve always wanted to be able to do one of theseóI think they look cool!)

Tomorrow is time trials! Iím looking forward to them.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Long Course....500Fly again

by , April 2nd, 2010 at 09:04 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    2x500@:15R Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    300 Free kick w/fins & snorkle
    500 Fly w/fins
    200 Free kick w/fins EASY
    4x200@3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Easy Free

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Yoga + Entries, April 1

by , April 1st, 2010 at 07:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X Yoga, 75 minutes

Did about 75 minutes of the 90 minute tape. My legs were burning on some of the warrior postures with all those lunges ... This time I tried going from Warrior 3 (see link yesterday) to The Ankle Pose. This consists of standing on one leg, head on knee, hands around ankles, with the other leg straight back at a 90 degree angle. Not easy!

I was too tired after yesterday's double to do anything else and I'm driving home tonight. I have a swim planned for tomorrow.

Entries:

I finally did my online entries for Colonies Zones and SCY Nats.

Zones:

Sat:

50 evil
    100 fly
    3 relays

Sun:

100 IM
    100 back
    50 free
    2 relays

Hoping to be on the mixed 200 relays with Speedo! And we're going to try to defend our AA in our chicks' 400 medley relay. I'm hoping to get a 50 back split leading off a mixed 200 medley relay. I decided to pass on the 100 free on Sat and the 50 fly on Sunday (swimming 50 fly on April 10 anyway). 10 events over two days is plenty. I'll be scheduling a massage right after!

Nationals:

50 breast
    50 back
    50 fly
    100 back
    100 fly
    100 IM*
    200 mixed medley relay
    200 mixed free relay

*6th event

I entereed in season times for Zones and all PBs for Nats. So no accusations of sandbagging please! This time I also signed up for the Gold Medal Sponsor so I can eat all the bananas I want!

And newsflash! According to some trashy rag, I see I'm expecting twins. lol When hell freezes over!

Updated April 1st, 2010 at 07:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Planning
  8. Swim Scandal True, Reports Sewickley Tattler

by , April 1st, 2010 at 05:19 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    The Sewickley Tattler is a gossip tabloid serving the Quaker Valley School District communities of Sewickley, Sewickley Heights, Edgeworth, Glen Osborne, Aleppo, Leetsdale, and Leet Township.

The Tattler has garnered a national reputation for sensationalized scoops, almost exclusively involving the mating, ovulatory, seed-spreading, shagging, lactation, pheromone-emitting, cosmetic surgical enhancing, STD-infecting, sperm count fluctuating, and assorted other reproduction-relating physiology and behaviors of the local citizenry, from Republican burghers, to ragamuffin high schoolers, to the odd Sewickley Sea Dragon masters swimmer who has mistaken B lane for a salmon spawning stream.

On the exquisitely rare occasions when celebrities do visit our community, the librarians of the Village, in particular, are thrilled, because this temporarily pries them and their wanton slatternery off the cover.

These celebrity visitors, on the other hand, really need to keep a close eye on their ovaries, testes, fallopian tubes, epidydimises and what have you, because they are virtually guaranteed of a first-class journalistic rogering by our local Fourth Estate.

Thanks to the combination of rapacity and hair-trigger reporting, The Tattler has earned many kudos in its industry for being the first to break news stories, often weeks if not years before the competition does, if ever. Where The Tattler has not fared so well is in terms of accuracy in their reporting.

Because of this, I am only going to paste in below this week’s cover. Do not worry! I am not concealing anything about what we here in the Heights have already shrugged off as Le Scandal Livingston (even as those unsophisticated bumpkins down in the flats continue to follow the scandal like the rutting soap opera fans they are.)

The entirety of The Tattler's inside pages are devoted—as is the case with every issue--to lengthy retractions of previous cover stories that proved libelous, untrue, and hurtful.

Certainly, I do not condone this sort of journalism myself. I do, however, subscribe to it.

For those of you who know Leslie Livingston as an unimpeachable beacon of propriety in our swimming community, who know she is truly one of the most virtuous and hard-working swimmers, albeit one who used fins promiscuously (but that’s neither here nor there), I can only say: I agree!

In my heart of hearts, I honestly doubt if any of the garbage in this week’s edition of The Tattler has more than a 15 percent shred of truth to it, if that. So please, if you do look at the cover—SEE COVER DIRECTLY BELOW!!!!—I only ask that you do your best to forget it immediately.

It probably isn’t true. Really. It probably isn’t.

Final note: I happened to see the Pregnancy Beat Reporter for the Sewickley Tattler slinking about this afternoon, and I grabbed him by his pencil neck and ask him what inspired his cover story. The pathetic little man reached into his tattered suit coat and handed me the following. I think he fancies himself a poet!

Don’t they all, these shabby little men! Don’t they all!

After last night’s swimming
    Practice did one fast mother
    Relax in languor and steep herself
    In clouds of Eucalyptus steam. Our lovely
    Leslie, flipper-footed

Fortress! So fleet and fleeting her times and time here!
    Oh, how we and future generations beg for more of her!
    Oh, how we crave the Leslies still to come! A myriad of them--
    Leslie Jr.s, and juniors of those Jr.s! From such dreams of spawn is
    Spawned our dreams: that an impregnable fortress be impregnable yet.

Updated April 6th, 2010 at 12:00 AM by jim thornton (to patronize the readers)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Damn Floaters!!!

by , April 1st, 2010 at 04:42 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    4/1/10
    SCY, Solo

Got to the pool a few minutes later than I usually do and found a floater in every lane. So I just went to work and went back during my lunch hour.

200 free swim
    2x100 pull #1 free, #2 back
    4x50 kick w/ 5 second rest, 1 of each stroke
    3 x 100 I M swim on 2:00 smooth, make interval
    (did these at 1:30Ī1 and was just cruising)
    4 x 50 build choice on 1:00
    (did back, all at 40-41)

3x around
    {
    100 kick choice w/ 15 second rest
    Swim 4 x 25 on :40 descend to all out
    (Round 1 free: 1:42 on kick, 25's at 17->15
    round 2 back: 1:50 on kick, 25's at 19->16
    round 3 fly: 1:55 on kick, 25's at 18->16)
    50 easy on 1:00 choice
    100 I M kick fast
    (ave 1:55 on these)
    }

Swim 4 x 75 back on 1:30 descend 1-4 to about 85%
    (tried to descend but all were around 1:01-1:03)
    Swim down 200
    --
    Total: 2650 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Thu Apr 1st 2010

by , April 1st, 2010 at 02:49 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Apr 1st 2010

SUBSCRIBE to Ande's Blog

Here's my tips on
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=210718&postcount=1309"]How to Blow Perfect Bubble Rings from the Deep End[/ame]

7 Days till the 2010 South Central SCY Zone Championships. I'm resting and getting ready to race but will lift through it

FRI
    02 1650 yard Freestyle 17:55.99
    (swam it in Orlando then swore it off, but I will be at the meet on Fri and am considering seeing if I can go faster. in Orlando, I didn't warm up enough for it & cruised the whole way with no sprint on the last 50, 75, or 100)

SAT
    04 400 yard Individual Medley NT
    06 50 yard Butterfly NT
    08 200 yard Freestyle 1:51.99
    12 100 yard Backstroke 54.9
    Relay/s

SUN
    28 100 yard Individual Medley 54.99
    32 200 yard Backstroke 2:29.99
    34 100 yard Butterfly 52.99
    40 200 yard Individual Medley NT
    Relay/s

SOUTH CENTRAL MENS SCY RECORDS

SOUTH CENTRAL ZONES WOMEN'S SCY RECORDS

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    swam with tyler in the Zone Taper Group
    beside Max, Kristyne, & Don
    dove in on 6:35
    wore B70 full

warm up:
    500 ish

MAIN SET

assigned 5 x 400

Did:

200 fr mod went 2:20
    rest 20 sec
    200 fr at mile pace (2:06)
    went 2:05

4 x 50
    hold low DPS on first 2 then drop a stroke a length on next 2
    so I held 9 strokes a length then dropped to
    8 strokes a length

4 x 100 on 1:30
    (hold mile pace)
    went 1:00 - 1:01's

2 x 100 kick
    went 1:10

assigned 400 at mile pace
    did 3 x 100 at mile pace which is probably 1:03

experimented with head position on fast SDKs
    1) biceps behind ears
    2) biceps on ears

25 SDK FAST for time
    roll start
    tyler timed
    went 10.5

25 SDK FAST for time
    roll start
    tyler timed
    went 10.4

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Froggy IMs

Today I swam on my own at the Y. I was inspired by the butterfrog debate in the latest issue of Swimmer magazine to do the following workout:

1000 warmup (400 S, 200 K, 200 P, 200 S)

10 x 100 IM @ 1:45: odds = all-breaststroke-kick IM (25 butterfrog, 25 elementary backstroke, 25 BR, 25 FR w/ breaststroke kick); evens = regular IM [luckily I had my own lane for this set!]

4 x 25 FL sprint @ 1:00 [because I always try to do a bit of fast fly when I am blessed with my own lane]

400 warmdown

Then weights and stretching upstairs. It was a relaxing swim and felt good after the hard rowing last night.

Iíve decided that Iíll swim 200 FR, 100 FL, and 100 BK at the time trial this Saturday. It should be fun!
    Tags: ims
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Late start today

by , April 1st, 2010 at 07:32 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I had to take care of my CPR recertification this morning so I got a late start.

1000 as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    500 Free kick w/fins alt 100 easy/100 moderate
    500 kick w/fins on back alt 100 fashion model/100 fly
    10x50 from dive sprint 20 yards and 30 yards easy free
    500 Free w/snorkle as 200swim/100kick/100swim/50kick/50swim

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Drylands + Swim, March 31

by , March 31st, 2010 at 11:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Didn't feel like going to the gym, so did drylands on my own.

Holds:

Tried 5 holds the trainer recommended and 3 others that I could do in the house:

deep squat isometric hold, 1 x 5:00
    (had to do this since Q bragged he could do it for 5 minutes; uh, ouch)

lunge hold in runner position, 1 x 2:00, each leg (harder)

push up isometric hold, 1 x 2:30

good morning darling isometric ab hold, 1 x 1:000, got an ab cramped and stopped -- I don't like this one and thus will discontinue.

cobra hold: balance on one leg (knee bent) with other leg straight back and held high, put arms back in airplane-type position, 1 x 1:00, each leg

isometric handstand, 2 x 1:15
    (better than the :45 I was doing before)

side plank with straight arm, one leg and one arm in the air, 1 x 1:00, each side
    http://www.examiner.com/x-36787-LA-T...h-the-Leg-Lift

(This side plank with twist oblique looks difficult as well: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

one legged T balance (stand on one leg, bend over, body should be in a T shape), 1 x 1:00, each leg. This pose is aka Warrior 3.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

Other core:

power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    elevated push ups, 3 x 15
    good morning darlings on floor, 2 x 50
    rock star jumps 1 x 10
    med ball slams on sidewalk, 1 x 25
    (alternated with lil lil Fort)
    twisting med ball slams, 1 x 15

Swim @ Sewickley Masters:

Coached by Bill White (who writes great workouts!)

Pre-practice warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:
    (about a minute rest between segments)

8 x 100 @ 1:40
    odds = choice
    evens = IM

6 x 50 fly @ :55, SDK 1/2 way
    I did double shooters.

6 x 50 back @ :55, SDK 1/2 way
    I used fins and alternated fast-easy. On the fast ones, I went 26, 27, 27.

6 x 50 breast @ :55
    Did what was assigned.

6 x 50 free @ :50, some type of restricted breathing
    I did backstroke kick, no fins

50 EZ

4 x 100 @ 2:00, 3 choice, 1 fast
    I did 2 easy breast, 1 50 EZ and 1 fast back Went 56, couldn't stay under much the second 50 b/c of leg fatigue. Jim went a :58, which was pretty darn fast.

50 EZ

8 x 50 free @ :40
    I did 8 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins.

Started out at 26; that was a mistake. But some guy was trash talking. It sounded like he was challenging me to do a "real kick set." (He must have missed that I did the 50 frees backstroke kick, and he missed one of the :40 intervals while I was kicking ... lol)

50 EZ

Total: 3550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

The dryland holds are pretty hard and, except for the squat, I have a ways to go to get to 5:00. I'll stick with these for awhile, but doubt I'll do them daily. I forgot to note yesterday that the trainer was somewhat surprised when I told him I was not emphasizing heavy weights this season. He immediately asked me about time differentials. But I don't really have tapered times to compare yet. Anyway, I found that interesting. I would have pursued the topic more, but there's only so much you can get in it 60 minutes. In addition, after the functional movements testing, he said "you're not a breaststroker, are you?" haha. I told him I only was if I had a super suit.

I can't wait to get my TRX system -- that looks so fun. (I realize only a dryland nerd would use the word "fun" in this manner.) Here is a link to one of my FB notes where I've begun collecting TRX exercises: http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/les...x/376349460980. There is a youtube link titled "Why TRX?" on yesterday's blog entry.

I really felt the drylands in the pool! Tired legs. But I enjoyed the IM/stroke based workout and it was much harder than anything I would put together to do in an hour, save a lactate set. Despite ribbing from my eccentric son, I persisted in doing my own version of the workout and adding some kicking and fin work. After the workout, Jim claimed that I am neglecting my upper body in the pool. But, since fly-back sprints are very leg based, I think I'm on the right track or at least an alternative viable track. When it's long course season and I train with my team more, I'll have plenty of time to "swim." But it's interesting that some people feel threatened by anyone deviating from the prescribed or conventional regimen. :-P If I had a nickle for every time someone called me a "cheater" ...

Anyhoo, I'm dead from all of the above and happy I get to sleep in!

Weights good!

An article from Jim's sister publication:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitne...ength-training

Bad news for chip addicts:

http://www.aolnews.com/health/articl...drugs/19418046

Interesting, ultra multi-sport blog entry by Rich Roll:

http://richroll.arnokroner.com/blog-2

Updated April 1st, 2010 at 01:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  14. 5800

by , March 31st, 2010 at 10:51 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Was suppposed to swim 5800 yards on Sunday to celebrate a team member's birthday, but a few family matters came up I needed to tend to, so did not get to do it until yesterday. I did this as a workout broken into sets. I took very little time between sets, so the whole workout with warm-up, sets, rest between sets, and cool-down took 92 minutes. Felt a little blah, but got through it.

Warm-up: 200 Reverse I.M.
    4 x 50 free on :50

5 x 100 dolphin kick on back with fins on 1:30

4 x 500 free on 7:00 - evens were with paddles

4 x 250 kick with fins on 3:30 - 100 free kick/150 dolphin on back

100 easy

5 x 100 fly work on 1:45 - 50 dolphin with board/50 3 rt/3 lt

5 x 100 back on 1:45

5 x 100 free kick with fins on 1:30

300 easy

Today, hit the weight room. Had thought that with the extra yardage that I might feel weak. Was pleasantly surprised that I did not feel weak. I was short for time, so didn't get to do leg press. May be just as well. I'm convinced I need to work on my hamstrings as I think tightness there and lack of strength could be a factor in my lower back issues.

Squats: bar x 20

Bench press: bar x 8, 55 x 10, 70 x 8, 90 x 6

Lat pull-down: 100 x 10, 120 x 8, 145 x 6

Shoulder press: 2 sets of 40 x 10

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 15

Leg curls: 2 sets of 50 x 10

Incline sit-ups with 12 lb med ball - 2 sets of 25

Back extensions - 2 sets of 25

Hand-to-toe situps- 1 set of 20

Bicycles - 1 set of 100

Good morning darlings - 1 set of 25
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Wednesday swim/row double

I went to the noontime workout at AG today. (Noon is a very civilized time to have a coached workoutóIím liking this Asphalt Green program more and more!). It was my first workout with Coach Craig, who took over this program last fall, and I liked it and him and had fun. Hereís what we did:

400 warmup

4 x 150 (25 kick, 50 drill, 75 swim), rev. IM order, @ :15 rest

8 x 50 Kick (25 easy flutter on back, 25 fly kick on side underwater as far as possible)

15 x 100 (50 easy, 50 FL kick on side underwater afarap + fast FR) @ 1:45

50 swimdown

(I had been wanting to experiment with using a nose clip again, and brought it today hoping I would have a chance to play with it. My wish was very much granted. Still not sold on it, but weíre getting to be better friends.)

I also discovered some good news at the workout: Asphalt Green will be hosting scy time trials this Saturday afternoon. Iíll definitely goóeven though Iím not swimming nationals and so donít need to swim official quali times (which is what the tt was designed for, I think), it will be a good chance to practice some racing skills. I might swim a few off events, like 200 FR and 100 FL, since the event is at such short notice, and I donít want to give up any training time this week in order to rest up a bit for it. I might even do the Sat. am workout before, since itís LC and I hate to give up a LC workout! Alternately, I could practice for my events at the meet on Sunday the 11th.

I got a second piece of good news when I got home. I found out I was one of the top 5 fundraisers in my teamís OHS, and will be getting a gift certificate to Kastaway Swim for my efforts. Woohoo! The suit shopping will begin soon!

This evening I did a rowing workout with Mr. Addict. Since rowing class is very crowded these days, weíve been trying to go to the gym at non-class times and do workouts together. Hereís what we did tonight:

6 min warmup w/ drills
    2 min rest
    6 min desc.
    2 min rest
    4 x (:30 sprint, 2:00 rest) [This is what I really wanted to work on tonight. My goal was to get the meter down under 1:50 on my hardest strokes. On the first 2 sprints I got to 1:50 and stayed there the rest of the piece. On the last 2 I got down to 1:49 and 1:48 respectively.]
    6:00 medium piece / recovery
    2:00 rest
    2 x (2:00 hard, 2:00 rest)
    6:00 rowdown

Stretching
    Tags: rowing, teams
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. I'm scared by this workout. 3/30/10

by , March 31st, 2010 at 06:25 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK this one is a toughie for me and I get serious doubts about it while I am doing it. It's good for me though as I feel like a winner when I get it done.

Warm Up
    300 Swim

Set 1
    200 IM Drill/Swim by 25 :3:30~3:45
    150 Kick/Swim :15 RI
    4 x 50 Choice (free) :50

Set 2
    4 x 200 3:30
    200 FR
    100 FR, 50 BR, 50 FR
    50 FR, 50 BK, 50 BR, 50 FR
    200 IM I took a breath after the fly...

4 x 50 EZ

4 X This Set
    100 IM 2:00
    50 BR 1:30 (got :40 rest)
    50 BR 1:30 (got :45 rest)
    on the last round I did 2 x 50 FR EZ

4 x This Set
    50 FR :40
    25 BR :40
    25 BR :40
    On the last two I had to go to :45 on the 50 but kept the whole think to 2:00

Set 3
    4 x
    100 Kick2:00
    50 Kick fast 1:00
    50 Kick/Sprint Swim 1:00
    I donned fins for this for time saving and feeling tired.

Cool Down
    5 x 50 FR EZ
    Lifted and stretched for 45 minutes after.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Twenty!

As of today's workout, I've logged 20.65 miles for March 2010.

My Feb total was 16.82.

My January total (including my hour swim) was 18.76.

My goal for the year is to swim 200 miles, so I'm right on target for that, and might actually go even higher.

Oh yeah, and the flip turns are coming along really well, and I'm comfortable doing them both backstroke and freestyle, and in two very different pools. So: happy time!

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Wednesday, 3/31/10

by , March 31st, 2010 at 12:01 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

500 swim alt. 100 free/25 no free
    300 kick with fins choice
    (did 150 free w/board and 150 on back)
    300 pull breathe 3/5 by 25: hold stroke count

swim 6 x 200 on 3:30: odds free smooth, holding stroke count; evens back descend
    (on free went 2:55-2:55-2:50 on back went 2:58-3:00-2:55)
    50 easy

swim 10 x 50 on 1:00: swim 1-5 free descend to about 85%;
    swim 6-10 25 free/25 fly, descend to 85%
    (on 1-5 went from 38 to 34, SC went from 14-15 to 16-17 on #5, I ran out of gas on 6-10 and struggled to keep them at 45)

swim down 200
    --
    Total: 3050 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wed Mar 31th 2010 kicked 150 in 1:40

by , March 31st, 2010 at 11:57 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Mar 31th 2010

8 Days till the 2010 South Central SCY Zone Championships. I'm resting and getting ready to race. but will lift through zones

FRI
    02 1650 yard Freestyle 17:55.99

SAT
    04 400 yard Individual Medley NT
    06 50 yard Butterfly NT
    08 200 yard Freestyle 1:51.99
    12 100 yard Backstroke 54.9
    Relay/s

SUN
    28 100 yard Individual Medley 54.99
    32 200 yard Backstroke 2:29.99
    34 100 yard Butterfly 52.99
    40 200 yard Individual Medley NT
    Relay/s

SOUTH CENTRAL MENS SCY RECORDS

SOUTH CENTRAL ZONES WOMEN'S SCY RECORDS

Last night the UT Tower turned ORANGE with windows lit up in #1's on each side to honor the UT Men's 2010 Swimming & Diving Championship, Beth & I went to watch & photograph the team, & friends with the Tower. Hope to put them on facebook soon.
    Got in late and didn't stay up to process them.

I'm a little sore from lifting yesterday and might skip tomorrow and lift on Friday

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool
    Whitney coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    swam with Brad with the Zone Taper Group
    beside Tyler, Kristyne, & Don
    dove in on 6:35
    wore B70 Jammers

warm up:
    200 fr
    150 fr
    100 k went 1:13
    100 k went 1:16
    100 k went 1:15
    150 fr

MAIN SET

25 at 200 pace (my 200 pace is 1:45 to 1:47ish)
    25 easy

50 at 200 pace 26.8
    50 easy

75 at 200 pace went 42
    75 easy

100 @ 200 pace went 52.9 from a push
    100 easy

assigned 12 x 150 3 on a tough pace 1 easy
    did:
    3 x (2 x 50 fr)

150 k went 1:46
    50 easy
    150 k went 1:40
    150 easy

3 x (2 x 50)
    150 easy

25 fl fast
    roll start
    whitney timed
    went 10.4

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. 3/31: Team Practice

I am trying to be less of an embarrassment to middle distance swimmers everywhere.

Warm Up
    - 400 free
    - 200 kick IM order no fins w/board
    - 400 back
    - 2x100 IM drill
    Transition
    - 50 fly
    - 150 free
    - 50 back
    - 150 free
    - 50 breast
    - 150 free
    Main Set
    - 10x100* on 1:15 (11s and 12s, last one was 13).
    - 100 back kick no fins
    - 6x50** on 1:00 w/ fins fly/back/back/free/free/free (27/26/26 on the free)
    Cool down
    - 200 free

* The main set was supposed to be 6x150 on 2:00, and I changed it to 10x100 on 1:15.

** Fast free with fins changes my stroke too much. Doing more of those sets will probably resolve that.

On faster free sets, I am thinking about a faster turnover with a more relaxed pull, if that makes sense.

150s on 1:50 would be a good stepping stone toward 100s on 1:10. Need to pick up the pace on my 1:15s before attempting 1:10s.

We shipped a large bag of luggage ahead and it is currently in Hong Kong. That is pretty cool, since it was shipped Monday afternoon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized