View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Spring Forward3/15/10

by , March 15th, 2010 at 07:04 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    I hate the hours change. I feel terrible today, so tired. Weekend storms made a trip to Long Island into a heavy trip. Bonus was mega sushi dinner and of course, I hat too much sake...

So I have a guts ache today...don't think it's the food or if it is maybe just too much of everything leaving me a bit blurgh. I think raw fish poisoning would have announced itself in a more spectacular fashion way before now.

So I wrestled with my mind today tying to convince myself to swim and I went and did 4000 yards, then lifted weights after.

Thusly:
    Warm Up
    2 x 300 snorkel
    Sprint
    4 x 50 FR 3:00 got the last one down to 29-30 on a push..
    Kick Set
    10 x 50K 1:15 but ended up 1:30's first one was in :54
    4 x 50 EZ
    Fly Work
    4 x 50 3BR/3 FLY
    8 x 25 FLY did last one as a 50 a bit slower.
    4 x 50 EZ
    Aerobic Set
    10 x 100 1:45 desc 1-4 5 ez rpt 6-10 went 1:30 down to 1:25.
    Kick Set #2
    500 with fins
    Cool Down
    6 x 50 EZ
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. A bit of backstroke

by , March 15th, 2010 at 06:30 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Monday, 3/15/10

SCy, Solo

200 swim free
    200 swim back
    150 kick free
    150 kick back
    100 pull free

6 x 50 back on 1:15: alt. 25 kick w/15m underwater/25 fist drill
    (Not quite making it to 15M. But am getting past the midpoint of the pool)

swim 4 x 75 back on 1:30: hold same stroke count throughout: 6-8 SDK off each wall; at moderate effort.
    (most of the sdk at 6, spl at 16 counting roll over stroke. Times around 1:05)
    swim 100 free easy on 2:00

swim 4 x 50 back on 1:15: add 2 strokes w/same walls and really pick up the legs. Goal time under 38 on each one
    (stroke count varied between 15 and 18 on these. I was seeing 37-38 on the clock after I touched, rolled over and looked so times were under that)
    swim 200 free easy on 4:00

swim 4 x 25 back FAST on 1:00: shoot for 15 low or faster.
    (Again spl varied but was no more than 18
    I was seeing 16± on the clock after I touched, rolled over and looked so times were under that

pull 8 x 100 free moderate on 1:40, breathe every 3 the whole way and try to keep the stroke count the same.
    (with p&b, kept these between 1:20 to 1:25 spl at 14-15)
    --
    Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. KONA

Since this is the land of coffee, I thought I would make my fellow caffeine junkie friends jealous by saying how great the local brew is.

....and check this out:
    http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/15...e-inhaler.html

(makes you wonder what they'll think of next?)

swim and photos coming soon........ stay tuned.

ALOHA!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mon Mar 15th 2010 double at noon

by , March 15th, 2010 at 03:53 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Mar 15th 2010

DOUBLED TODAY think I went over 8500 or 9000 for the day

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool, Blocks
    Whitney coached
    Noon to 1:15
    swam with Larry, Pat Evoe, & Trent Turner
    beside James, Jon, Tyler & Besmir
    dove in on 12:07ish
    wore B70 legs

warm up:
    500 easy

Main Set

5 ROUNDS OF 7 x 100 fr
    3 x 100 fr on 1:20 right into
    4 x 100 fr on 1:10
    then rested around 1:40 before beginning next set

round 1 held 1:03's to 1:02's
    felt really good on these & slipped into an easy speed distance gear, felt way better than this morning

round 2 held 1:03's

round 3 held 1:03's

round 4
    was kick with fins, but i didn't wear fins
    went into the set thinking we were going to do
    3 on 1:30, 4 on 1:20, but my lane leaders changed it to
    3 on 1:25, 4 on 1:15 (so I skipped a 50 from the 3rd 100 on 1:25
    then made all 4 100s k on 1:15)

round 5 was kind of hurting from the kick & was thinking we had another round after this one that I was going to pound, so I took it easy, miscounted, and skipped a 50m then found out that was it.

4 x 50 on 1:15
    25 SDK fast from a dive, 25 easy

25 SDK fast
    jon timed
    roll off block
    went 10.5

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated March 15th, 2010 at 04:00 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Mon Mar 15th 2010

by , March 15th, 2010 at 12:43 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Mar 15th 2010

might do a double today

I'm going to be in Orlando FL
    Tue Mar 23rd - Sun Mar 28
    just found out the 2010 Dixie Zone Championships are there that weekend, think I'm going to enter a few events

Lifted this morning

Swam yesterday
    with Max & guest David Kahn
    pretty much took it easy/recovery day
    did a 50 roll off blocks in 21.8

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool, Blocks
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with Chris
    beside Max & Kelly definite spring break attrition
    dove in on time
    wore B70 legs

warm up:
    2 rounds of
    150 150 150

Main Set

5 x 9 x 100 fr
    4 x 100 fr on 1:20 right into
    4 x 100 fr on 1:10
    100 easy

on round 5 I did a hard 400, went 4:11

4 x 50 on 1:15, 25 SDK fast from a dive, 25 easy

25 fly fast
    whitney timed
    roll off bulkhead
    went 10.0

2010 MEETS:

INFO

Order of Events

Updated March 15th, 2010 at 03:56 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. Long Course!

by , March 15th, 2010 at 08:46 AM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    The NMSU Natatorium outdoor pool was reorganized over this weekend to long course. It was really wonderful to swim the full length of the 50 meter pool.

Although I take some pride in my turns and push offs, I really enjoy swimming without having to turn so often. The feeling of taking stroke after stroke in a long course pool is absolutely wonderful. I enjoy the beauty of the morning, the coolness of the water, the many, many shades of blue in the pool as well as the view of the sky and occasional bird (a benefit of swimming backstroke).

It takes me about 8-10 strokes per length (backstroke and freestyle) in a 25 yard pool - swimming at a moderate pace. Now that the pool has been converted, I take around 25-26 strokes per 50 meters swimming at a moderate level of effort. While I know that "distance-per-stroke" is important, I have never been able to increase my speed and maintain the same stroke count. In order to swim faster my turnover rate dramatically increases. Perhaps a real coach could help me in this area.

Besides the sense of peace that comes with swimming in a 50 meter pool, I believe that you get stronger and gain a psychological edge when you return to race in a 25 yard pool.

Atlanta note: made my hotel reservation; need to enter the meet and make travel arrangements. I'm very hope to have the opportunity to swim fast at this meet. It is the last chance to use the "cheater" suits!

BTW, my personal feeling is that the suits should not be banned at any level of competition. IMHO the suits are analogous to advances in pool design and lane-line technology. My first (and only) high school race was in a pool with no gutters and ropes for lane lines. There were no turn guides on the pool walls or "black lines" on the bottom of the pool. It was just a cement tank retrofitted for a swim meet. No swimming purists have advocated for a return to such pools. I view the advance in swim suit materials to be similar to that of pool, starting block and lane line technologies.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Very tired but seemed to be very fast

by , March 15th, 2010 at 07:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I was tired from the weekend yet had some really good speed in the water. I am kind of puzzled by this.

5x200@3:30 Free all were well under 3 minutes which is aweful fast for my warmup, usually I am 3:05ish until the muscles get warmed up
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    5x100@2:00 Free kick w/fins as 25 right side, 25 left side and 50 on back
    5x100@2:00 Fly w/fins as 25 right arm, 25 left arm, 50 full stroke was holding 1:32's on these
    5x100@1:30 as 50 free/50 back w/paddles & bouy held 1:24's
    10x50 from dive as 20 yard breakouts then shut down with easy free alternate free and fly
    200 Free easy
    100 Free easy
    200 Free easy

Total 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Better late than never

by , March 14th, 2010 at 09:53 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    This is the workout from Saturday. I was trying to get my swim in, start the girls on their workout and then leave for Sectionals in Charlotte so that I could get there before finals.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd sprint kick
    5x100@:10R Fly kick w/fins as 50 on back, 25 on right side, 25 on left side
    10x50@1:00 Fly w/fins cranked on last one went :34
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy

Total 3000 yards

I did make it to Charlotte with time to spare and get situated in our hotel. It was a good meet but McKaylin was not happy with her time even though on a 1650 adding 5 seconds is nothing. I think she did really well for her first really big meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Cleaning out some cob webs

by , March 14th, 2010 at 09:17 PM (FREEDom)
    Mar 14 LCM
    Last week's training was less than I had hoped. I did swim Sun, Mon, traveled Tues 12 hrs in a car, swam Wed AM, did not hear my alarm on Thurs, went to swim Fri AM, only to arrive and the pool was closed due to storms... in an indoor pool. I'm used to that swimming outdoors in the summer in FL. Travel back on Sat, another 12 hrs, so today's swim was not about hurting myself, just about getting some of it back after being out of the water and recovering from traveling.

LCM
    warm up

4 x 200 on 3:00
    200 kick with fins

6 x 150 on 2:20 pull paddles, pb, snorkel
    200 kick w/ fins

8 x 100 on 2:00 as
    - 1 x 100 drill
    - 1 x 100 swim
    - alternated back and free

10 x 50 on 1:00 kick w/ fins, easy down, fast back

200 easy warm down

4200m

felt tight, so this was just about trying to get some feel back. Will try to hit it hard again tomorrow.

I'm entered next weekend in the St Pete USMS meet... the 40th annual! Unfortunately, its not looking like I'll make it after all. I was sooooo looking forward to swimming that 1650 on Fri night. But its a big weekend down here, and I can't do it all. Too much to choose from:

• MacDill AirFest
    • 12 hours of Sebring
    • Transitions PGA Tour Golf
    • St Pete Masters 40th annual masters meet
    • My parents are moving in to their new house.

I can only do so much.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Diving In!

by , March 14th, 2010 at 08:20 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    After cooling down today I hopped up on the blocks to test my new goggles with a dive. Our state meet is 2 weeks away so I am starting to work on all the little details that help keep a 2 day meet stress free. One of my team buddies noticed I was doing an "old-fashioned" fall-in-the-water start so he helped me begin working on a "new fashioned" track start! He said I was looking pretty good after a few and agreed to help me tweak a bit on Tuesday and Thursday!

This week I'll be attending the AAHPERD National Convention in downtown Indy!!!! I've always wanted to go to a National Convention! It seems like they are always too far away and the school doesn't pay for things like that. This year is my chance! I am psyched! My Principal gave me Tues/Thurs/Fri off. The PTO paid my $600.00 registration fee. I am ready to rock and roll!

I didn't go to the Lousiville meet. I just simply got out of the mood. The time change coupled with a slightly sick stomach doused out any previous motivation i might have had. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't go, I felt sluggish and stiff in practice this morning so it was a good calll.

Today's workout:

**800 Freestyle Warm-up Swim
    **4 X 150 Free on 2:30
    **200 Flutter Kick (w/sissy fins)
    **6 X 75 on 1:30 (odds free/evens stroke)
    **5 X (25 Hard on :30/ 25 moderate on :45/ 50 Hard on 1:15/ 100 recovery swim on 2:00)
    **200 cool-down easy

Tomorrow morning 5:00 a.m. @ the Monon Center. I've got a long after-school meeting ! I think monday meetings are a terrrrribbbble idea!!!!! I wish I could just go home and play with the pug princess!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. To the Weight Room

by , March 14th, 2010 at 07:28 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Feeling much stronger today, so headed to the weight room to get back on track. I did a very light workout on Friday to crank it back up, but today was a little bit more aggressive.

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 10, 75 x 8, 85 x 6

Leg press: 150 x 10, 170 x 8, 190 x 6

Lat pull-down: 100 x 10, 120 x 8, 140 x 6

Squats: 1 set of 20 with bar

Military press: 40 x 10, 45 x 8, 50 x 6

Bicycles: 1 set of 100

Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50

Toe raises: 3 sets of 10

Torso twists: 1 set of 20

The last six weeks, between tapering and being sick, have been pretty light for me. For this reason, I'm not going to do any more swim meets between now and Nationals. I love meets, but they take something out of me mentally and physically. There is only 9 weeks left until Nationals. For me, that means 7 weeks of hard training and a two week taper. It seems to take me a bit of time to recover from a meet, so any meet during the the 7 week period will probably hurt me rather than help. Plus, the closest meet in the next 9 weeks is 2.5 hours away and it is the only one within a 5 hour drive. Think I'll conserve money and time for Nationals.

Son seems to be very fired up about running. When we were up at the Y today (he plays basketball while I lift), he saw a brochure for a 5k and 1k. He picked one up and told me he wanted to do both races.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sunday, Mar. 14

by , March 14th, 2010 at 06:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    No change, except for my head cold feels better. I think I have some version of the flu, since I still have a fever and funk. I couldn't get up for even a small swim today. As I understand it, the flu usually hits you like a ton of bricks, very fast. That's basically what happened to me. I was swimming fast one day and very sick the next.

I know this is a typical paranoia when you're sick, but I feel like I am totally out of shape and have lost all conditioning after some relative rest and then getting sick ... We'll see. My daughter, who is in a funk herself, says I shouldn't swim next weekend because I'll be disappointed swimming after the flu and in an inferior suit. She must have been talking to Jimi! If I'm over this, I'll probably still go and swim my 50s just for fun. I'm not so sure about the theory of "sick + rest + subsequent PBs" as it applies to masters though.

On an odd note, one of Mini's friends at Senior Champs was DQ'd for "unsportsmanlike conduct." I asked Mini about it. Turns out, her friend was DQ'd for wearing an FS II kneeskin that she didn't know wasn't on the approved list. Of course, the FS II is actually slower than the Pro/Pro-Elite that most are wearing, so it makes no sense ... And, grr, my kid snagged her (our) kneeskin on something during warm up and there is a hole in the first layer of material. Wow, got a LOT of use out of that suit, which was almost as expensive as a real cheatin' B70 ... And I had been planning on wearing it next weekend.

No matter what, I'm going to drag myself to the pool tomorrow. Going to attempt to do some RC exercises for 5 minutes now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sunday swim with team

Today I swam with my team at John Jay College. I went despite email warnings that the pool temp was elevated (88) on Friday night—I figured if nothing else I could get in some start work and some BR drills. As it turned out, the water was swimmable—it was 84 and dropping when we arrived, so I ended up doing a regular workout, just with generous intervals. I had a great lanemate who led most of the workout, so it was a very calm and enjoyable morning. Here’s what we did:

400 scy warmup

6 x 75 FR @ 1:05

4 times through (FL, BK, BR, then choice):
    4 x 25 @ :35
    1 x 50 K/S @ 1:05
    2 x 75: 1st is S/K/S @ 1:30, 2nd is all swim @ 1:20
    :30 rest
    [I chose to do BR again on my 4th set—my stroke felt much more together the second time through.]

50 easy

100 FR K/S/K/S @ 1:45
    100 FR S/K/S/K @ 1:45
    1 x 100 FR @ 1:25
    2 x 100 FR @ 1:25
    3 x 100 FR @ 1:25

12 x 50 @ 1:00 [1 did 2 x (4 x 50 BK desc) then 4 x 50 FR warmdown—went 33 and 36 on my fast 50s]

100 extra warmdown
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Hodge Podge of a Sick Boy

by , March 14th, 2010 at 01:19 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I know why the caged slug leaks.

Observant readers of this vlog over the past several years might have noted that I have the immune system of someone with a bad immune system.

While most of you can count on your innate armies of internal lymphocytes and Natural Killer Cells, immunoglobulins and macrophages, I appear to have none of these things. Thus I must fight the good fight against contagion by hiring outside forces: the Hessian mercenaries of medicine.

Chief among these is Colonel Nyquil, with whose assistance I woke on Saturday morning still alive at 10 ish, drove to the accountant, drove back, slept from 1 ish to 5 ish, rallied for about 4 hours, then slept from 9 ish to 10 ish this morning, though it wasn't as long as you might think because we lost an hour.

Not long after awakening, I began to suckle:

The current state of nasal blockage is so severe that the wind pipe and pie hole must serve double duty. I cannot swallow and breathe at the same time, thus to imbibe my medicine and victuals requires a never ending compromise between hypoxia and anorexia.

Things got so bad a couple nights ago that I googled "home made ventilators to allow breathing during periods of intense sinus blockage" but got no hits.

When I narrowed the search to "home made ventilators" I was able to find many Popular Mechanics-style gizmos that armchair inventors have rigged up in their garages. However, the combination of oxygen deprivation and Nyquil overdosing made the complicated directions beyond my capacities to follow.

Thus I continue to suffer like a coelacanth mouth-breathing during a prolonged drought in the mudhole, my icthyological lips and mouth flaking in dessication!

I cannot sustain thoughts, hence today's hodge podge of cognitive flotsam and jetsam from the past week of swimming, toil, news headlines, and reverie.

1. Liam update. The lad has joined me in realizing the health benefits of nature. Here he is doing his homework and reviewing the scientific literature in the jungle.

2. Swimming update: the effect of trying vs. the Glenn Battle Strategy for the 500.

There are a variety of ways to swim the 500. If you want to get your best time, you need to train hard, get into peak shape, then swim the whole thing intelligently but essentially in pain--or as my teammate/coach Bill White (father of Liam) once told me when I said, "Bill, if I go fast the whole time, it's going to hurt"--"It's supposed to hurt."

If, on the other hand, you want to avoid too much suffering and get a "good enough" time, our friend Glenn Battle suggests the following strategy.

• 150 in the comfort zone*
    • 50 a bit faster
    • 150 in comfort zone
    • 50 a bit faster
    • 50 in the comfort zone
    • 50 as fast as possible

{* Glenn added a further complication that the very first 50 should probably be just a wee bit faster than total comfort, otherwise you risk setting the comfort bar too low. This codicil is for advanced loafers since it is very easy to get screwed up on the count if you use it.)

Here are two of my Amish Mudhole 500 meet results.

The Hard Way

AGE GROUP: 55-59
    1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 5:27.62

The Glenn Battle Strategy Less Hard Way

AGE GROUP: 55-59
    1 JIM THORNTON 57 M SEWY 5:32.85

Make of this whatever you want.

3. Roethlisberger update. If you have not yet done so, and you think there is a CHANCE IN HELL that Ben Roethlisberger is the innocent victim of a 20-year-old money-grubbing College of Georgia floosy, please read the entire civil complaint from last summer's inaugural scrape with the legal system. One of my teammates here is Sewickley has a company that does sports-food promotions. His biggest product success to date was "Flutie Flakes"--a breakfast cereal with Doug Flutie on the box. It sold something like 2 million boxes worth. One of my teammate's current products, manufactured before the recent sexual assault allegations, is called "Roethlisberger Jerky". He's stuck with quite a few bags of this stuff, which is proving difficult to unload on the public.

I suggested reversing the two words on the packaging and selling it to Fraternities nationwide, along with a new companion product: Roethlisberger Rapist Mayonnaise--Tag line: Add a little squirt on your jerky (TM)

Anyhow, here is the link. Note: just as I am not a "real" doctor with "real" prescribing privileges, I am also not a "real" lawyer, or a "real" district attorney with "real" prosecutorial powers in the "real" legal system. Hence, I have no choice but to try my cases in the court of public opinion. Ladies and gentleman of the non-impaneled jury, I ask that you now admit Exhibit A into evidence: http://www.post-gazette.com/download...hlisberger.pdf

Little Devil Ben with Cop Buddy Entourage

4. Health Insurance Reform Update. I am saving this for the end here because I know that many of my fellow swimmers disagree with me on the need for you all to dip into your wallets and contribute taxes that will help me get health insurance.

It looks like this might happen. I do not in anyway mean to sing, Na na na na na naaa, for such would be hubris and surely jinx the final push for reform. Instead, let me just re-post something I wrote on another web site about the need for reform. This precipitated yet more advice from the well-heeled on what I need to do. I shall post this advice first, followed by my post that triggered the giving of such advice.

Jim,

I’ve been reading your “madder than hell and not going to take it anymore” posts here for some time, and it seems quite clear that you really don’t like living in the US. I strongly doubt that many will agree with you that we need to change to socialized form of government in order to rid the country of all of “all of the leeches who add nothing to the public weal save for angry ideology that the answer to laissez faire’s obvious failings is to laissez faire even harder till the “free market” fixes everything.”

It also seems clear that the most angry person posting on these issues, is yourself. I realize that you’re in a real “pinch”. However, it is quite apparent that living in a socialized system is your desire, so with that thought in mind, think about moving to Canada. It is close, would be inexpensive relative to other socialized countries to which you may prefer moving and living, and I think would offer you a real possibility for happiness, or something close.

Your gain would be clear. The gain to all of the “leeches who add nothing to the public weal save for angry ideology that the answer to laissez faire’s obvious failings…” who believe in a “Free market” is that you won’t need to throw and we won’t need to respond to the eloquent, articulate, slap-in-the-face insults those with whom you disagree, those of us who post on this blog along with you.

And now my original post that precipitated the "go to psychiatrist then move to Canada" recommendations above:

The decision to bundle college aid in with health care reform is strange, perhaps, but not in my opinion a bad thing. One could argue, with some rationality, that a college education not only significantly ups the odds of higher life time earnings, but with this, better health (as data shows again and again that those who can afford high quality medical care fare much better than those who can’t.)

Here is a metaphor for a bunch of dysfunctional systems in the US today: the QWERTYUIOP keyboard. As I am sure you know, Alan, the arrangement of keys on the typewriter keyboard was originally designed to prevent typing speeds from getting too high, thus jamming the mechanics of early type writers.

Today, with computers, there is no jamming risk whatsoever, and many arrangments of the alphabet have been shown to be much faster and easier to type with. Alas, the status quo is so entrenched (almost like our inches and feet and lb measurements which are clearly nonsensical compared to the metric system) that few, if any, people want to change. It becomes a vicious circle. Keyboard manufacturers won’t change things without a significant demand for the better product; without a better product widely available, kids learning to type use the current QWERTYUIOP configuration; the status quo continues with no relief in sight.

Ditto with our current system of employment-based health insurance, begun as a way of circumventing price controls in the olden days, and around which a huge entrenched bureaucracy of vested interests has grown like strangler figs anxious to suck every unguarded penny from the doctor-patient transaction.

Many hospitals today–their actual architecture–seem to follow this same inefficient pattern. They began as somewhat rational buildings, but grew with new wings and skyways and jury-rigged annexes to the point where you need a GPS to find your way from the lobby to the doctor’s office. I have seen gerbil tube extravanganzas laid out more rationally than this mess that evolves over time.

The Congress has reached a similar point of spectacular ineptitude: many good people, I am sure, but penned in by archaic rules and party rules and the corruption of special interest money–all of which has lead to a virtual paralysis.

I say why on earth should private banks be allowed to suck money out of student loan moneys, where the need to educate our people is clearly a public good? Ditto, I believe, for private insurers and all the other fatted-tics that have appended their rasper organs on the national health.

To me, it’s always boiled down to a clear notion: throw out the QWERTYUIOP keyboards and non-metric system; raze hospital mazes that bewilder all visitors; take Occam’s razor to the Gordian Knot of congressional archania; make access to health care an American right, and cut costs and ration via a single payer system; get rid of all of the leeches who add nothing to the public weal save for angry ideology that the answer to laissez faire’s obvious failings is to laissez faire even harder till the “free market” fixes everything.

One way or the other, those blood-engorged leech-ticks someday will explode.

My dream of AHIP CEOs' fates: last moment before the squooshing!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Deja Vu Part II

Finished a 3300 yd workout today, including lots of flip turns on both backstroke and freestyle. The flips feel more comfortable than they've felt since before Christmas, and my strokes overall feel much stronger. Of course it helps to have had two days off and to be fully rested.

We're right in the middle of another howling rainstorm. It'd be nice if we didn't lose power, like we did two weeks ago. Of course, it'd be nice to have a pony, too. : )

Goodnight, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Rowing on a rainy day

Today wasn’t a swim day, but I did manage to get in a pretty intense rowing machine workout with my husband at the gym. I first suggested a pyramid of timed hard rows separated by 2-minute easy rows (rowing workouts can be structured very like swim workouts), but Mr. Addict suggested modifying that plan a bit so that all the short pieces were at the end (3-4-5-4-3-2-2-1-1). That worked out well. Here’s what we did:

5 minute warmup w/ drills

3-minute piece (ie hard rowing) [averaged 2:24 per 500m]
    2 min. rest (ie easy rowing or rest)
    4-minute piece [2:18]
    2 min. rest
    5-minute piece [2:17]
    2 min. rest
    4-minute piece [2:13]
    2 min. rest
    3-minute piece [2:11]
    2 min. rest
    2-minute piece [2:09]
    2 min. rest
    2-minute piece [2:06]
    2 min. rest
    1-minute piece [1:59]
    2 min. rest
    5-minute piece [1:56]

5+ minute warmdown w/ drills

My goal was to descend the pace on all my pieces from the beginning of the workout through the end. I was pleased with my times on the 1-minute pieces—anytime I get the monitor to read under 2:00 is a good rowing day for me, no matter how short the piece.

We practically needed a rowboat to get back home--it's been pouring here all day. I did enjoy walking right through all the biggest puddles in my rain boots!

I just got an email from my team telling me that the pool I was planning on swimming at tomorrow was up to 88 degrees as of last night. Ugh! I might have to get up super-early (considering the time change) to make the 6:30 lap swimming time at Riverbank instead.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Jeans?

by , March 13th, 2010 at 03:44 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Felt much better today, but decided to be cautious. Son and I did an easy 1 mile run together in 9:30. I must be pretty slow in his book as he came out of the house wearing blue jeans to do the run with me. Kind of reminded of when my HS cross country coach would jog around the track with us during warm-up in his teaching clothes (suit pants, button-up shirt, etc.).

Anyway, had son change into some real running clothes in the event we had to run through some mud. Had a nice run even though it did sprinkle on us a bit.

Saw this race on the Anniston Runners webpage: April 17, 2010 – Mellow Mushroom Mad Dash
    Race Start: TBA at Noble Street Festival, Downtown Anniston
    Held in conjunction with the annual Noble Street Festival, the Mad Dash is a fun
    addition to a jam-packed event. Two races – one for kids, one for adults. Awards for
    both.

Even though the 2009 info is still up on the main website, info regarding the 2010 race as it draws near should be at this website:

http://www.noblestreetfestival.com

This is a big festival just 30 miles away. The 1k running race on the road looks to be fun. This is something my son and I can train for together for the next 5 weeks. With the short distance involved, I can keep my longest training run to 4 or 5 miles.

This gives me a reason to do some more running. In limited amounts, I think the running helps my swimming. Seems to improve my stamina and keep the body fat in check.

Updated March 13th, 2010 at 04:07 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Sat., March 13

by , March 13th, 2010 at 02:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

1300-1400 EZ

hot tub
    dry sauna
    hot shower
    repeat

Commentary:

1. I reviewed Elise's criteria for whether one should exercise or not: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/10...out/index.html. I probably should have stayed home. But I haven't lurched into bronchitis quite yet, so I did a very easy swim. I often feel less congested after swims and do now. But I feel very weak and tired. Saturday around noon is an absolutely horrible time to go the Rec Center -- children, noodlers, different classes. The noise level is astounding. It made me realize how peaceful and quiet it is when I swim in the early afternoon during the week.

2. Another diet book emphasizing plants -- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/

3. FortSon took his SATs for the first time today. Really hope he did well; his practice test results were good, but he said it was long and hard.

4. One of Mr. Fort's colleagues is gluten intolerant. She has terrible problems with dry eyes, which her doc says is another sign of a gluten problem. Just another thing to blame on gluten!

5. I was perusing Rowing News this am. There was an article on what to eat an hour to before exercise. One option was a protein smoothie -- with whey/hemp protein, flax seeds, coconut water and fresh and frozen fruit.

5. Back to the couch ... I watched The September Issue yesterday, which was interesting. I have A Serious Man, the Coen brothers film, to watch today. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100803113.html.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sat Mar 13th 2010

by , March 13th, 2010 at 01:32 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Mar 13th 2010

I'm going to be in Orlando FL
    Tue Mar 23rd - Sun Mar 28
    just found out the 2010 Dixie Zone Championships are there that weekend, think I'm going to enter

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool, Blocks
    Chris coached
    7:30 - 9:00
    swam with Tyler, Brad, & Michael Lovato
    beside Jeff & Erin
    dove in at 7:35
    wore B70 legs

warm up:
    100 k

Main Set

4 x 100 fr on 1:20 desc

4 x 25 fl

3 x 200 fr on 2:40 desc

4 x 25 bk

2 x 400 fr on 5:30 desc
    went 4:19

4 x 25 br

800 fr strong
    went 8:27

assigned 6 x 150
    did 6 x ( 50 easy, rest 50, 50 k strong)

50 SDK
    went 24.8

2010 MEETS:

INFO

Order of Events

Updated March 13th, 2010 at 03:27 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. 03-12-2010 Recovery in the Rain

by , March 13th, 2010 at 11:40 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol - Very Heavy Rain
    6pm-6:35pm

Warm 500 - 200FR 200IM 100 Pull
    Drills (600/1100)
    24x25 Drills 6 ea. (Fly=Stanford(3 n/b, fly to wall),BK=One-arm,BR=hold a small ball under chin, FR=one arm, w/other arm at side) on:40
    Pull (800/1900)
    1x800Pull (4x200) Build

100 Cool (2000)
    (Missed Sat morning practice cause my daughter had to be dropped off with a bus load of kids going to Oregon for the Shakespeare festival, then I have to stay home as a nurse is gonna drop by to do a medical exam for life insurance...)
    Felt weird tonight (Friday), like my whole body was numb. Had heart palps.. so I think the weird power bar I had for lunch had something to do with it...Me and Taurine don't get along.
    Left early cause my in-laws were celebrating my mother-in-law's birthday.
    Coach said that my fly looks good (finally), from now on if I get tired during a fly set, STOP...don't do ugly fly...
    Categories
    Uncategorized