View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Deja Vu Part II

Finished a 3300 yd workout today, including lots of flip turns on both backstroke and freestyle. The flips feel more comfortable than they've felt since before Christmas, and my strokes overall feel much stronger. Of course it helps to have had two days off and to be fully rested.

We're right in the middle of another howling rainstorm. It'd be nice if we didn't lose power, like we did two weeks ago. Of course, it'd be nice to have a pony, too. : )

Goodnight, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Rowing on a rainy day

Today wasn’t a swim day, but I did manage to get in a pretty intense rowing machine workout with my husband at the gym. I first suggested a pyramid of timed hard rows separated by 2-minute easy rows (rowing workouts can be structured very like swim workouts), but Mr. Addict suggested modifying that plan a bit so that all the short pieces were at the end (3-4-5-4-3-2-2-1-1). That worked out well. Here’s what we did:

5 minute warmup w/ drills

3-minute piece (ie hard rowing) [averaged 2:24 per 500m]
    2 min. rest (ie easy rowing or rest)
    4-minute piece [2:18]
    2 min. rest
    5-minute piece [2:17]
    2 min. rest
    4-minute piece [2:13]
    2 min. rest
    3-minute piece [2:11]
    2 min. rest
    2-minute piece [2:09]
    2 min. rest
    2-minute piece [2:06]
    2 min. rest
    1-minute piece [1:59]
    2 min. rest
    5-minute piece [1:56]

5+ minute warmdown w/ drills

My goal was to descend the pace on all my pieces from the beginning of the workout through the end. I was pleased with my times on the 1-minute pieces—anytime I get the monitor to read under 2:00 is a good rowing day for me, no matter how short the piece.

We practically needed a rowboat to get back home--it's been pouring here all day. I did enjoy walking right through all the biggest puddles in my rain boots!

I just got an email from my team telling me that the pool I was planning on swimming at tomorrow was up to 88 degrees as of last night. Ugh! I might have to get up super-early (considering the time change) to make the 6:30 lap swimming time at Riverbank instead.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Jeans?

by , March 13th, 2010 at 03:44 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Felt much better today, but decided to be cautious. Son and I did an easy 1 mile run together in 9:30. I must be pretty slow in his book as he came out of the house wearing blue jeans to do the run with me. Kind of reminded of when my HS cross country coach would jog around the track with us during warm-up in his teaching clothes (suit pants, button-up shirt, etc.).

Anyway, had son change into some real running clothes in the event we had to run through some mud. Had a nice run even though it did sprinkle on us a bit.

Saw this race on the Anniston Runners webpage: April 17, 2010 – Mellow Mushroom Mad Dash
    Race Start: TBA at Noble Street Festival, Downtown Anniston
    Held in conjunction with the annual Noble Street Festival, the Mad Dash is a fun
    addition to a jam-packed event. Two races – one for kids, one for adults. Awards for
    both.

Even though the 2009 info is still up on the main website, info regarding the 2010 race as it draws near should be at this website:

http://www.noblestreetfestival.com

This is a big festival just 30 miles away. The 1k running race on the road looks to be fun. This is something my son and I can train for together for the next 5 weeks. With the short distance involved, I can keep my longest training run to 4 or 5 miles.

This gives me a reason to do some more running. In limited amounts, I think the running helps my swimming. Seems to improve my stamina and keep the body fat in check.

Updated March 13th, 2010 at 04:07 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sat., March 13

by , March 13th, 2010 at 02:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

1300-1400 EZ

hot tub
    dry sauna
    hot shower
    repeat

Commentary:

1. I reviewed Elise's criteria for whether one should exercise or not: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/10...out/index.html. I probably should have stayed home. But I haven't lurched into bronchitis quite yet, so I did a very easy swim. I often feel less congested after swims and do now. But I feel very weak and tired. Saturday around noon is an absolutely horrible time to go the Rec Center -- children, noodlers, different classes. The noise level is astounding. It made me realize how peaceful and quiet it is when I swim in the early afternoon during the week.

2. Another diet book emphasizing plants -- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/

3. FortSon took his SATs for the first time today. Really hope he did well; his practice test results were good, but he said it was long and hard.

4. One of Mr. Fort's colleagues is gluten intolerant. She has terrible problems with dry eyes, which her doc says is another sign of a gluten problem. Just another thing to blame on gluten!

5. I was perusing Rowing News this am. There was an article on what to eat an hour to before exercise. One option was a protein smoothie -- with whey/hemp protein, flax seeds, coconut water and fresh and frozen fruit.

5. Back to the couch ... I watched The September Issue yesterday, which was interesting. I have A Serious Man, the Coen brothers film, to watch today. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100803113.html.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Sat Mar 13th 2010

by , March 13th, 2010 at 01:32 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Sat Mar 13th 2010

I'm going to be in Orlando FL
    Tue Mar 23rd - Sun Mar 28
    just found out the 2010 Dixie Zone Championships are there that weekend, think I'm going to enter

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool, Blocks
    Chris coached
    7:30 - 9:00
    swam with Tyler, Brad, & Michael Lovato
    beside Jeff & Erin
    dove in at 7:35
    wore B70 legs

warm up:
    100 k

Main Set

4 x 100 fr on 1:20 desc

4 x 25 fl

3 x 200 fr on 2:40 desc

4 x 25 bk

2 x 400 fr on 5:30 desc
    went 4:19

4 x 25 br

800 fr strong
    went 8:27

assigned 6 x 150
    did 6 x ( 50 easy, rest 50, 50 k strong)

50 SDK
    went 24.8

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated March 13th, 2010 at 03:27 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 03-12-2010 Recovery in the Rain

by , March 13th, 2010 at 11:40 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol - Very Heavy Rain
    6pm-6:35pm

Warm 500 - 200FR 200IM 100 Pull
    Drills (600/1100)
    24x25 Drills 6 ea. (Fly=Stanford(3 n/b, fly to wall),BK=One-arm,BR=hold a small ball under chin, FR=one arm, w/other arm at side) on:40
    Pull (800/1900)
    1x800Pull (4x200) Build

100 Cool (2000)
    (Missed Sat morning practice cause my daughter had to be dropped off with a bus load of kids going to Oregon for the Shakespeare festival, then I have to stay home as a nurse is gonna drop by to do a medical exam for life insurance...)
    Felt weird tonight (Friday), like my whole body was numb. Had heart palps.. so I think the weird power bar I had for lunch had something to do with it...Me and Taurine don't get along.
    Left early cause my in-laws were celebrating my mother-in-law's birthday.
    Coach said that my fly looks good (finally), from now on if I get tired during a fly set, STOP...don't do ugly fly...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. I'll try again today or in other words "MRSA Complications"!

by , March 13th, 2010 at 09:13 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Yesterday was a write off as far as days go. I got up early, although not swimming early. I had a 7 a.m. Team Leader meeting at school so I opted to wait till after school. (big mistake) Anyway, about halfway through my meeting I got a head-ache/sick stomach ache. After the meeting I scurried off to my office to have my daily yogurt and berries before the arrival of my first class. I had a couple Tylanol's too.
    By 3rd period I was sipping 7-up to stifle the puke reflex, (not good) but I was still determined to make it through the day, after all it was Friday!!
    To complicate things a little more I received a call from the school nurse during my lunch break informing me that one of my students I had seen Wednesday had just found out the wound on his hand was infected with MRSA! She advised me to clean anything he might have come in contact with!
    The logical side of me thinks the germs would be dead by now. The mother side of me thinks I should scrub all the equipment down with diluted bleach solution. The mother side won out so for the next 2 hours after school Friday I scrubbed Swiss Balls, exercise tubing, jump ropes (long and short ones), medicine balls, hand held weights, step boxes, and every single hand-hold on the climbing wall. Oh, the whole time I felt like puking too!
    When I was done I drove home and went straight to bed. I slept till about 8 p.m. l woke long enough for a bowl of chicken noodle soup and dozed off and on till 7:30 a.m.
    I am now getting ready for swim practice. I will find out if i'm better or not when I start swimming I guess. I'm still hoping to go to the meet tomorrow!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Dickey's (warning: rude drawing!!!!!)

by , March 13th, 2010 at 12:42 AM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Do I have a secret admirer? Is a secret someone telling me to shoot for the stars? That must be it!!

I emerged from Thursday night's solo swim to find my car window festooned with the following treasure:

I'm quite pleased with how the photo turned out, as it was very dark. I smeared the old fellow with my finger and concluded he must have been done in lipstick, though a very unfortunate colour.

My esteemed colleague Vlog suggested I draw a face or body around him and use him as the logo for an upmarket ladies' restaurant to be called "Dickey's ®".

I think this is an excellent suggestion.

Here's the workout I did. It's Bill White's workout, and he described it as long and boring. But it's gonna take a lot more than that to long and boring me! I enjoyed it.

Updated March 13th, 2010 at 09:10 AM by Chicken of the Sea (trying to make the warning visible before actually opening blog)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Return from the....

by , March 12th, 2010 at 10:09 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    bed! Since Tuesday late morning, I've been sick and in bed. Felt fine when I woke up Tuesday morning, but all of a sudden, I got hit with a fever, a headache, aching joints, cough, etc. I stayed in bed most of the time from Tuesday until this morning. Still have a hacking cough and some congestion. I was tempted to try to swim yesterday or today, but this thing had the feel of something that could turn into something worse like bronchitis or pneumonia if I didn't rest.

I like the old philosophy of the neck rule discussed in this article:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/10...out/index.html

Basically, the article says that if you have symptoms below the neck, don't work out. Even today, I would say I was somewhat borderline. I did, however, do a very light weight workout as follows:

Squats: 1 set of 20 with bar

Bench press: 45 x 12, 55 x 10, 65 x 8, 75 x 6

Lat hi row: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 120 x 6

Torso twists: 2 sets of 20

Toe raises: 3 sets of 10

Bicycles: 1 set of 50

Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50

Will see how I feel tomorrow before I decide on a workout. For right now, I'm thinking that a good kicking workout where I keep my head above the water might be good. On the other hand, I may just do a light jog. After being on my back for several days, it might not be a bad idea to do some upright exercise.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. This workout kicks my ass!

by , March 12th, 2010 at 08:07 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    I did a workout that I've done before, today. It kicked my butt the last time and it did again. Also it's Friday and I ran 4.5 miles yesterday in 40 minutes etc which is obviously a factor too.
    However it feels good to finish the week well worked out and knowing you can grab rest in the morning...but I have PT but I don't mind that.

Warm Up

300 EZ

Pre Main

200 Pull no paddles 3:30
    150 Kick
    100 Swim build

Main
    6 x 75 1:15
    1 x 50 1:30 Recovery
    4 x 75 1:15 Faster
    2 x 75 1:10 Very Fast
    4 x 75 1:15
    6 x 75 1:15
    I think I need to write this up for me on my intervals, rather than trying to adjust on the fly; I can't keep up with my copy which gives the 75's on 1:05, 1:00 and :55 I probably need to add the 10 seconds or more. I take 1:30 on the recovery 50's vs the written 1:00. It still kicks my ass!

Post Main
    I'm flagging at this point
    6 x 100 Pull 1:45
    6 x 50 K 1:15 held on 1, 2 & 3. 4 & 5 I had to take extra :15 my legs were gone, and I barely made
    6 x 25 EZ/ Fast alternates on :30

Kick Set

500 Fin kick

Cool Down

3 x 50 EZ

Went to lift after this but felt energy was lacking in the arms and lats for chins and pull ups but I did some. Glad to be home.

Updated March 12th, 2010 at 09:53 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Still on the Couch, Friday, March 12

by , March 12th, 2010 at 04:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still a couch potato. Still neti potting. Still not swimming. My face hurts, which I hope is not a precursor to a sinus infection. This was not the kind of "rest" I had anticipated before my meet next weekend ... and I hate not being able to exercise. The meet is still a week+ away. But I definitely won't swim sick -- not worth it unless it's a taper meet. Glad I signed up for a lot of 50s!

Here's an article about body fat analysis that I thought might interest Q and Tim:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bod...lyzers/AN01789

And an interesting article on dieting myths:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ng-health.html

I thought Gull's article on circadian rhythms and athletic performance was good too.

http://www.the-aps.org/press/journal/07/8.htm

I didn't think my night owl tendencies were all in my head!

And for recovery after runs:

http://www.active.com/running/Articl...tm_medium=feed

Updated March 12th, 2010 at 05:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. More counting strokes

by , March 12th, 2010 at 01:35 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Friday, 3/12/10
    SCY, solo

Maybe I'l eventually "get it" and a lower stroke count will seem natural.

300 swim free
    200 kick on back in streamline
    200 pull alt. 50 free/50 choice
    8 x 50 on 1:00 alt. 25 drill/25 build choice
    (alternated free & back, fist drill and count strokes)

Swim 8 x 75 on 1:20 free holding 14-15 strokes
    (held 14 spl averaged 1:05-:07)
    30sec rest

Swim 6 x 75 on 1:25 free holding 15-16 strokes
    (held 15 spl averaged 1:02-:03)
    1 min rest

Swim 4 x 75 free on 1:30 holding 17 strokes, this should be a little faster.
    (held 16 spl averaged :58-:60)
    100 easy

Kick 6 x 25 on 45 with 15m underwater on each
    (did odds face down, evens on back with 16-17 sdk, kept uw between 13-15y)

200 swim down

Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Birthday sets

This morning I swam at the LCM session up at Riverbank. I swam mostly solo but joined in with some open water swimming buddies at the very end. Here’s what I did:

1000 warmup (200 FR, 200 ST, 200 Kick, 200 Pull, 200 Rev. IM drill/swim by 25)

Twice through:
    6 x 50 swim w/ fins: 1-3 desc. @ 1:00, 4 slow @ 1:30, 5 sprint @ :40, 6 easy @ 1:50
    100 easy w/o fins @ 3:00
    [did FR on the first set; 31 on fastest 50, FL on the 2nd set; :34]

200 moderate kick, rev. IM order

8 x 200 @ 3:00 [I joined up with my friends in the next lane for this set. I skipped a 100 on the 4th one, and warmed down 100 instead of doing the last one, since the pool was about to close].

100 warmdown

After I got out I learned that those 8 x 200 at the end were actually part of 35 x 200 that one swimmer was doing to celebrate his 35th birthday. Yowsers! What makes it even more impressive is that this pool is only open LC in the morning from 6:30 to 8:15, so there was not much leeway to take a break during the swim--that’s why they were doing these right up until the whistle blew for us to get out (They made it!)

I am totally in awe of anyone who can do 7000 lcm in 1h45. I was proud of myself for doing the few I did on that tough interval (which I guess makes me 6 ½ today.) I can’t imagine keeping that up for nearly 2 hours!

Btw, my standard birthday “set” is to see how many yards I can swim in my age in seconds from a dive. I try to go a little farther every year—my best is 74 yards. (I didn’t do it this past year when I turned 44, since I was at a scm meet and already swimming umpteen events that day.) This is part of my ultimate dream of being able to swim 100 yards in under my age—something not very many women have done. It’s going to be awhile before I’m anywhere near, but it’s nice to have long-term goals!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Fri Mar 12th 2010

by , March 12th, 2010 at 10:52 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Mar 12th 2010

going to be in Orlando FL
    need to figure out where to train
    hope to go to Typhoon Lagoon & body surf

was so fried last night from all my late nights
    I crashed early

lifted weights yesterday afternoon

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool, Blocks
    Chris coached
    5:30 - 7:00
    swam with James, Mike and Terra
    beside tyler jon, doug & Max
    dove in at 5:35
    wore B70 Full

warm up:

swam easy till 5:50

Main Set

18 x 100

1 - 5 fr 85% on 2:00
    held 59's - 61

#6 easy

7 - 11 92% kick on 2:15 (fly on side, no board)
    went 1:09, 7, 6, 6, 5

#12 easy

13 - 16 fr strong on 2:30
    held 56 & 7

rested 8 minutes

#17 FAST from a dive
    went 49.8, split it 24.6 25.2

#18 easy

100 easy

25 SDK
    roll
    mike timed
    went 10.0

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

INFO

Order of Events
  15. Long course and I had to share, yuck

by , March 12th, 2010 at 08:15 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    It is fine when you share with someone your speed but when you get a slow swimmer who starts just before you are ready to start an interval and have to leave them in the dust.

500 Free
    5x100@1:45 fREE
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd fast
    5x100@2:00 back kick w/fins modertate to fast pace
    5x100@1:45 Free w/paddles & fins long & loose
    5x100@2:00 Free sprint 15 meters in to wall and 15 meters out rest easy
    500 Free w/snorkle

3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. 03-11-2010 Aquasol workout

by , March 12th, 2010 at 07:39 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol 6PM-7:30PM
    Warm 200Fr 100P 100K
    Free Set (1000/1400)
    10x100 FR on 1:30 (~1:15-1:22)
    Fly Kick Set (3000/4400)
    1000 Fly K w/fins & board
    2x500 Fly K w/fins & snorkel (one 500 w/small Finis board, one w/o)
    10x100 Fly K w/fins and board on 1:45
    Sprint (250/4650)
    10x25 Sprint (mix IM) on:40 no breath on FR,
    100cool
    (4750 SCY)

A lot of dolphin kicking!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Thursday Nasti Workout

by , March 11th, 2010 at 10:20 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I had a chiropractic treatment followed by grasston therapy right after school today. I dread these sessions soooo much all day leading up to it but I think they are helping my shoulder/neck situation tremendously. I usually take the night off swimming after my treatment but tonight I needed to swim. It worked out fine; no pain at all. The bruising was gaudy and ugly. I'm sure my lane mates thought I'd been beaten.
    Here's the workout:
    **600 Warm-up Swim
    **2 X 300 Freestyle on 4:30 interval (1st one paddles/fins, 2nd one plain)
    **4 X 50 Flutter Kick on 1:00 (I used fins)
    **6 X 100 (alternate stroke/free) on 2:00
    **200 swim with paddles/fins
    **4 X 50 on 1:10 Descending (:40, :40, :39, :38)
    rest 1 minute
    **4 X 50 on 1:10 Descending (:39, :39, :39, :38)
    **400 Easy Swim Down (200 Free/200 Back)
    3,000 scy

TGIF!! I had a great week but I'm looking forward to the week-end.
    Meet Sunday at the University of Louisville! I'm not sure what I'm swimming; I'm deck entering.

Next week is the National AAHPERD Convention here in Indy! I'm psyched! I'm going Tues, Thurs, Fri, and Saturday! The time off work will be great plus I am hoping to learn and make new connections with fellow professionals!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Immobile, Thursday, March 11

by , March 11th, 2010 at 05:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Commentary Only:

Well, this cold hit me like a ton of bricks and I am practically immobile. I am a couch potato; all thoughts of exercise have vanished. I think this is the kind of cold that will take some time to recover from. I just hope I can get out of bed to go to my kid's meet tomorrow am.

The good news is that, despite some people's public gloating over my suit problem, I have ordered a new suit. And -- thanks to the fabulous Eney Jones -- I have a new back up B70 in my size, a leftover from her high school team. So I will be well clad at my champ meets and covered in the event of a blow out, no thanks to B70 customer service though.

1. Here's a variation of burpees, called "warrior burpees" that looked interesting:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsSqEWndWo"]YouTube- Body Weight Culture.com-Warrior Burpees Workout rosstraining[/ame]

2. I also ran across this article on papaya, which I love:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpps/news...100309_6475829

3. Cutting Edge gear: Check out this cool 2010 tri gear from 2XU:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1258446196

4. Eat your veggies!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rip-es..._b_170910.html

5. Sprint Advice: I also have to record Michelle Chow's absolutely excellent sprint advice here so that I can re-read it. Thanks Michelle, you rock!

Remember EVERY race starts with a dive. Or a backstroke start. Not just the 50 free. You knock 1/5 second off your start and breakout, that is 1/2 second of any event. Welcome to 59.50!!!

You have one fast turn in a 50. But you have THREE in a 100. Even more reason to work on your turns!!!

How to do it? Try these!

Do 6 x, 8x, or even 10x if you can handle the body jarring - dive/breakout/FOUR fast strokes. Emphasis is on gettting the right angle of entry, streamline position, and up and into your race pace immediately, then shut it off. I find that doing 25's or even 12 1/2's sometimes inhibits me from getting that real blast-off feeling. It may not be practical to always do dives, but if you only do fast stuff from the wall.....you aren't starting from the wall in a race! NOT the same angle!!

It sounds like your problem isn't so much getting the arms going, but if you have bad starts and splatting-turns, you are essentially doing 3 races from a dead start each time (at the official start, again when you break out, and once more after your turn). If you are "flailing" as you say, it may be because you haven't "set up" your initial momentum, so you have no choice but to start flailing to get your speed.

Turn work: break it down completely. Start at the wall, get under the water in the EXACT streamline position (feet on the wall) you would PUSH OFF the wall on a flip turn. Take a big breath, now! Get under the water, and start from a DEAD start, and PUSH off, kick, break out, and take FOUR strokes. Same theory. You will feel EVERY inefficiency from a dead start.
    3. Reverse it, and practice going into the wall. Do it with stopping with your feet at the wall, or do the turn pushing off on your back. I like to focus on staying in alignment and not getting lazing and slapping my legs every which way and what the heck are my arms doing?

Start with both hands on the wall. Kick freestlye, really hard, no breathing! Then have someone randomly yell, GO! and then you do an open turn as fast as you possibly can, kick off the wall, and take 4 fast strokes. It works best kicking freestyle, turning and going fly or breast.

Dive, dive, dive. Again, it's part of every race! I usually take a day and do all those special things by myself. If you do 1 dive a day, that's hundreds a year. It will make a huge difference.

Underwaters. I am a huge fan of these. I usually do 25's underwater right after my basic warmup (400 or 500). Usually 4 x 25 on 45 or 1 minute (SCM). I use that time to do a "body scan", and think about my joints loosening up, and to relax from my hectic schedule, and open up my lungs.

Mental toughness! Do you know your breathing pattern for your 50 and 100's? You should. Do you execute them, without fail? In a race, do you know exactly where you are? These are things you can train your mind. It requires no physical effort! I like that!

Think of it this way: You have to find the right 10 hits to put on your greatest hits album. You have to pick and chose the best (or lowest hanging fruit) 10 things to do that will maximize your performance in your chosen events, and you cannot have a profound weakness in any one area. Doing things you are already good at isn't going to make you better - but doing the things you really hate and are not good at will improve your performance! (And while I am on my soapbox - if you are doing "drills" on the same interval as you swim, then you either aren't doing them right or you are doing drills you are already good at, so pick something else! And don't swim on my feet! Grr!)

Think about it this way: start & breakout & 4 strokes? 15 meters. In & out of 3 turns? 3 x 10 meters = 30 meters. The finish? 5 meters. That's 50 meters, or HALF of your race!!! I would classify these as more in the "mental" category - simply because it is a LAPSE of attention here that will impact your peformance. The middle swimming bits - you almost never hear people say - "I forgot to swim fast in the middle!" or "I really blew the middle swimming bits but I did hit my start, turns, and wow, did you see that finish?"

Updated March 11th, 2010 at 05:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Thu Mar 11th 2010

by , March 11th, 2010 at 02:00 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Mar 11th 2010

in Orlando FL
    need to figure out where to train

swam on Wednesday
    didn't have time to post it
    can't remember what we did

Went to Taylor swift last night,
    got home late
    forgot to turn my phone from vibrate to sound
    Overslept, woke around 5:55ish

got this email about practice times

next week:
    March 15th -19th all mornings
    M - F are
    6:30-8am
    Noons and nights are normal.
    Saturday 7:30 - 9am this week and next
    Sun 12 - 1:15 this week and next
    Have a great Spring Break and safe travels.
    Whitney

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with Michael Lovato, Ritchie, & erin
    beside tyler jon, larry & Max
    arrived close to 7:00 am

warm up:
    missed it

Main Set
    2 x 500
    missed the first one
    went 5:50 on 2nd one

2 x 400 fr 75%, 90%
    went 4:21 on 2nd one

2 x 300
    went 3:09 on 2nd one

2 x 200 fr
    went 2:04 on 2nd one

2 x 100 fr
    went 59 on 2nd one but smacked hands with Jon

assigned 20 x 50
    odds: K fast evens: moderate swim
    did 10 x 50 k strong did some fly with no board & some flutter with a board

2010 MEETS:

INFO

Order of Events

Updated March 11th, 2010 at 02:18 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday, 3/11/10

by , March 11th, 2010 at 12:20 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

200 swim free
    200 kick in streamline on back
    200 pull alt. 50 fr/50 back

6 x 50 on 1:00, alt. Drill/build by 25
    (alt free and back. Drill was fist drill for both)

2x around:
    {
    3 x 50 kick on 1:10 desc. 1-3
    100 easy
    3 x 100 swim 1:40 for free, 1:45 for back, desc. 1-3
    100 easy
    4 x 75 pull on 1:15 for free 1:25 for back (on free breathe every 3)
    Round 1 is free; Round 2 is choice.

(for free: 60-55-52 on kick; 1:22-1:20-1:18 on 100's, and around 1:00± on 75's
    for back: 60-56-54 on kick, 1:32-1:28-1:25 on 100's, and around 1:10± on 75's)
    }
    Swim 4 x 25 choice on :30 #3,FAST all free

Swim down 100
    --
    Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized