View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sunday, Sept. 26

by , September 26th, 2010 at 09:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

dead bugs on bosu, 25
    windshield wipers, 25
    body rows, 15
    russian twists on incline bench w/30 lb DB, 25
    overhead squats, 45 x 1 x 15, 55 x 1 x 10, 65 x 1 x 10, 75 x 1 x 7
    box jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10
    med ball floor slams, 10
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 20
    hanging straight leg raise, feet all the way up to bar, 10
    (Last time I tried this, my quads protested, but not this time.)
    hanging reverse knee tucks, 10
    (Hands hurt from lack of gloves. Alternatively, I have piss poor grip strength.)

RC exercises

Yoga:

30-35 minutes of yoga and stretching. Someone who had been lifting simultaneously with me and started stretching said I had a "awesome and enviable combo of strength and flexibility." Yes, that's what I'm going for!

Then I got grilled on how to get that way. lol

I've been using a yoga block on my seated single and double leg hamstring stretches. This seems to help me get a better stretch in the lat/rhomboid area.

Swim/SCM/Solo @ gym:

30 minute slow continuous swim, including kicking and drilling

Hot tub & steam room

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was somewhat, not terribly sore, when I headed to the gym today. But I am busy tomorrow, so Monday works out better for a rest day.

I was surprised that the overhead squats felt pretty good. I had never done them with anything more than the 45 lb bar before today, so getting up to 75 was a major improvement.

I think I'm doing a decent job of cutting back on drylands somewhat and shortening the length of the workout.

In any event, considering the rough start to the week, I think I got some good workouts in.

Updated September 26th, 2010 at 09:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  2. Swimming with friends

Today I went out to Brighton Beach and swam for about 30-40 minutes. The water was a very comfortable temp—it seems to have warmed up to maybe 68 or 70, but that’s just guessing. The only difficult thing was the small jellyfish or crustacean-type thingies (they were mostly soft, but had a bit of hardness to them) that were absolutely everywhere in the water—we were constantly running into them, or they into us. They were about popcorn size, and mostly translucent.

I’m definitely a coward when it comes to swimming with wildlife, and these little thingies were freaking me out (although no one was exactly enjoying them). But I lasted longer today than last Thursday, when there were also little creatures constantly brushing against me as I swam. So that’s progress!

One swimmer today told me that if you swim at night in waters that are creature-filled like today’s, they glow and show the path of your swim. I’ve been out sea kayaking at nighttime, once, on a trip I did in Baja California, and remember how magical it was seeing the plankton and other little sea beasties fluoresce with every paddle stroke. It would be really cool to swim in those conditions, but it might take a braver person than me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Complete Opposite, Saturday, Sept. 25

by , September 25th, 2010 at 08:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Swim/SCY/Team @ GMU:

I did the main set with Petra Martin. Not too many people there today.

Warm up:

3 x through:

100 swim
    100 kick
    100 pull (I did 50 scull, forgot paddles)
    100 drill

Main Set:

2 x through:

300 free @ 4:00 (perfect technique, kick out past flags "as you should on every turn every day")
    (I did 300 kicks w/fins. Went 3:34 on both.)
    4 x 75 @ 1:10, done as 50 free + 25 choice, descend
    4 x 100 kick @ 1:50 (Went backstroke, held 1:26-27. Didn't stay under much, allergies bothering me breathing wise.)
    4 x 25 shooters @ :40
    4 x 100 IM @ 1:40 (I used fins.)
    #1 = fast fly
    #2 = fast back
    #3 = fast breast
    #4 = fast free
    (I floated through the non-fast 75.)
    1:00 extra rest

200 EZ

Total: 4250

After practice I rushed home to pick up Mini-Fort and go meet Ryan Lochte. He very dutifully was signing a million autographs and taking photos. I managed to say "great job at PanPacs." Mini Fort, perhaps for the first time in her extrovert life, was speechless. hahaha. Unfortunately, my camera decided to malfunction, or I had it on a wrong setting. But some pics below. He chuckled at my masters swimming cap.

PM Drylands:

broomstick twists, 25
    windshield wipers, 2 x 15
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    reverse scoop, 25 x 1 x 10, 30 x 1 x 10, 35 x 1 x 10, 40 x 1 x 6
    streamline on back on bosu, 1 x 1:00
    skull crushers, 60 x 2 x 8
    Icarian chest supported T bar rows, 75 x 2 x 8
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    rock star jumps, 10
    hanging reverse knee tucks, 2 x 15
    single leg press, 150 x 2 x 10, each leg

RC Work, 5-10 min

Yoga & Stretching, 20 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

After swim practice, my coach said, "so is that the exact opposite of what you usually do?" And I said, "why yes." lol So that's my endurance workout for the week.

I must say that I really prefer doing drylands before swimming rather than after. Though I had 5 hours or so off in between swimming and drylands, I could still the effects of swim practice. Or maybe it was the effects of sitting in 97 degree heat at Lil Fort's soccer game (on astro turf no less). She said it was the worst game of her life.

On some of the weights I'm doing (like the dead lift), I think I may be limited in increasing weight by hand strength. How does one increase hand strength to fix this problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020835.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	6507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020837.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	6508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020839.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	6509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020841.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	6510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020842.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	6511  

4. A morning at the Y awesome swim

by , September 25th, 2010 at 05:40 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I surprised even myself with todays workout. The water was warm but I still managed a great workout.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd lap fast
    5x200@2:45 Free w/paddles & bouy fist one in 2:43 and the rest 2:40's WOW!
    500 Free broken with the girls
    spent the next 40 minutes under water looking at their strokes

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What's good at Trader Joes?

Today I swam the early LC workout at Asphalt Green. For the first set, we divided up into lanes according to what stroke we wanted to do; I chose the breaststroke lane. Here’s how it went:

800 lcm warmup

6 x 100 BR: 1st length was extended underwaters (2, 4, 6, twice through) + BR kick on back for rest of 50; 2nd length was wholestroke

8 x 50 BR @ 1:00, desc. 1-4 and 5-8

regroup

5 x 300, ascending the set, and focusing on form

8 x 100 @ 2:30 kick choice

200 warmdown

I was hoping that after the USMS convention some more meets might appear on the calendar (like a [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17115"]SCM colonies zones[/ame]), but so far that hasn’t happened. Right now I have just 2 one-day meets on my fall calendar, both SCM (Oct. 23 at Asphalt Green, and November 21 on Long Island), plus one open-water swim (Nov. 6th at Brighton Beach). I’d like a 2-day meet in early December as my fall focus meet, but don’t want to travel very far to find one. I’ve been out of town a lot over the last month and a half, and am looking forward to staying put and enjoying the city for the next few months.

So if no other localish meets come up, I might just swim through the fall season and think more about focusing on some meets in early 2011. I was glad to see that the Auburn meet is scheduled for the weekend of Feb. 12-13 this year rather than the following Presidents Day weekend—that means I’ll probably be able to attend it. There’s also a 2-day scy meet on Long Island March 12-13.

This week a new Trader Joe’s opened a couple of blocks away from me. Until yesterday I’d never actually been in one. Can anyone who lives in real America and is a fan of Trader Joes tell me what’s especially good that I should try? (Please don’t tell me any wine selections—ours doesn’t carry any, sadly, undoubtedly due to NY state’s byzantine liquor licensing laws.)

Tomorrow I have an outing to Brighton Beach planned to get in some OW swimming. One of these days I will actually swim the whole 5K course! (Hopefully before the USMS OW championship that is scheduled there next summer.) I'm looking forward to seeing some of the Little Red Lighthouse swimmers out at Brighton and hearing how the race went (I decided not to do it).

Updated September 25th, 2010 at 01:32 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 9/25 6am team practice

This morning we had to get in and out quickly because of a regional swim meet scheduled at our pool. Not many people showed up for practice therefore those that did got a lane all to themselves. This past week our practices have been ALL about stroke work and turns. Sort of "back to the basics".

Todays workout we were suppose to work on our SDK and walls.

600 Mix up
    12x50 kick w/fins @55 (4fly,4back,4free)
    6x50 build @50

6x150 fast @2:15 , 50 EZ @ 1:15

400 Pull
    300 Pull
    200 Pull
    100 Pull
    * I forgot what the intervals were, but we were just suppose to work on streamlines and our first stroke off the wall.

10x50 @1:15 SDK underwater down/ EZ swim back

200 W/D

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. I'm in New York State of Mind

by , September 25th, 2010 at 01:16 AM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    I'm thinking about friends doing the Little Red Lighthouse swim in New York tomorrow and wishing I was there.

I hope everyone has a great time! Good luck to Chaos, Evmo and Rondi and everyone else swimming (I haven't checked the roster lately). It looks like the course is going north under the George Washington Bridge, so you will get the opposite view to what we had in MIMS.

Here's a little bit of video saved from MIMS 2010, not long before I swam under the GW. Someone had just jumped from the bridge, which was very sad and disturbing. I wasn't able to find out any details about the incident afterwards, except that it's very unlikely one would survive a jump from that high.

Here's me and my crew.

http://www.youtube.com/user/saddleba.../0/bFMfqgVGJ_Q

Not a huge fan of Billy Joel, but this is a great song
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO2l7qtyyBw"]YouTube - BILLY JOEL- " New York State of Mind "[/nomedia]

Updated September 25th, 2010 at 01:21 AM by Chicken of the Sea

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Friday, 9/24/10

by , September 24th, 2010 at 06:27 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    1 x 300 Swim free and back
    3 x 100/1:45 Build
    (free-1:18, back-1:29, free-1:21)
    400 IM Kick
    Fins: 4 x 50/1:00 25 back mid - scull - 25 back
    Swim Back: 4 x 50/1:00 ds
    (went 44->40)
    Fins: 4 x 50/1:00 25 one arm back - 25 back

Main Set:
    4 x 12 1/2 on :30 Fast Free
    2 x 50/50 smooth Free, focus on turn (40±)
    4 x 12 1/2 on :30 Fast Free (stop in middle of pool)
    2 x 50/50 smooth Free, focus on turn (40±)

Kick: (500)
    Repeat twice:
    1 x 100/20sr front flutter (w/board - 1:55±)
    1 x 75/15sr back flutter (1:30±)
    1 x 50/10sr dolphin (on back - 1:00±)
    1 x 25/5sr breast (on back 35±)

Warm down
    100 ez free

Total: 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Speed Work, Friday, Sept. 24

by , September 24th, 2010 at 06:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ GMU:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition/Speed Play:

Ripped off a bit of this from Speedo's blog.

8 x 25 glide drill

10 air squats off pool bottom at 9'5" depth:

1-5 = streamline, got to top hip level
    6-10 = streamline + 2-3 dolphin kicks, got to bottom hip level

3 x 20 seconds AFAP vertical dolphin kick + 50 EZ (Got this idea from Geekity.)

Went 54, 54, 53 dolphin kicks. As Geek would say, these hurt like mother scritchers. I could have used an easy 100 between instead of a 50 to get my heart rate down. The thought did occur to me that this could easily be adapted as a tabata set. It was great speed work also.

4 x 25
    odds = standing broad jump into pool w/med ball and eggbeater kick to wall holding med ball out of water (I HATE eggbeaters.)
    evens = standing broad jump, turn over on back and kick holding med ball up with 1 hand
    (A masters swimmer swimming next to me remarked that this looked really hard. Yep.)

100 EZ

Speed Sets:

5 x 50 AFAP + 100 EZ

#1 = SDK, high 22
    #2 = back, high 23
    #3 = free, high 23
    #4 = SDK, mid 22
    #5 = back, 24 (tired)

(I did the first two on 3:00 and the last three on 3:30.)

Last year at the time, I went:

50 SDK on back, :23
    50 back, high :24
    50 free, :25 (missed turn)
    50 SDK, :23
    50 back, :25 (tired)

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP kick w/board & fins + 25 EZ) @ 30

Got kicked out of comp pool and went to hot rec pool. It felt dreadful after the cool water in the comp pool

200 EZ

Total: 2300 + VK

Yoga:

30 minutes of stretching and yoga while watching DVR'd shows.

Commentary:

I loved this workout! The squats, jumps and VK at the beginning were fun and useful. And I think they were a good warm up for the fast 50s b/c they got my sprinter neurons firing and heart rate up.

I was surprised to see that my times were slightly faster than last year. I am chocking this up to the better accuracy of the digital clocks over the pace clocks I used last year and the much cooler water at Mason.

I'm now pretty tired from this.

Looking ahead to next week, I'd like to do 2 fast days with more of a lactate tolerance element. I may do the Rich Abraham broken 100 set one day. Speedo want to join? I also liked this set that Ande did today.

3 rounds of 3 x 50 + 100 easy , done:

#1 @ 90% on 1:15
    #2 @ 95% on 1:30
    #3 @ 100% on 2:00

At least I think this is what Ande did; there may have been a typo in his blog b/c he said it was 4 x 50. Since I'm not Ande, I may adjust the intervals slightly.

Going to my team practice tomorrow am, which will be aerobic in nature and then to:

http://www.sportfairusa.com/

Updated September 25th, 2010 at 09:41 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear... Fins

by , September 24th, 2010 at 04:39 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    If I want to catch up with my new lane-mates, perhaps.

I'm back. FISH is back for the season as of Monday. There's no music at the pool because the computer's broken, and I'm OK with that right now.

We had a bit of a harrowing summer. The school budget got voted down, and along with it, we lost the Adult Continuing Education program that let us swim daily for pennies. Now we're being charged the full price of the pool rental, $125 an hour. And since "we" never really existed as an entity, we had to open up a bank account, submit a boatload of paperwork and collect fees (after much math to figure out what the fees were - about twice as much as last year.)

But amazingly, we didn't lose many swimmers! On Monday, there were about 30 of us rarin' to go at 6am. And I was in good shape, having gotten in a few yards here and there over the summer.

I started the workout in my old lane, but was feeling a little held back, so I popped over to Lane 4. Lane 4! They swim 100's on 1:30 like it's no thing. And they don't rest so much. But they're all guys, and I miss the comraderie of talking about endurance suit butt-ride-up with the gals of Lane 3. Prediction: by staying there, I will be in much pain for a while, but I hope that it equals faster swim times when we get to the meets. And then there's only one other faster lane to go... Will I be ready to swim with them next September?

I dunno. For now, this is my big goal for the year:
    100 yards in 1:08. My current record stands at 1:11.61. I started at 1:19 in 2008. I am hereby holding myself accountable, via blog.

I've already broken one record this season: shortest swim ever. On Wednesday, I hopped in and started warm-up with a 200. Then I started talking to the men's team captain and our unoffical secretary about the details of the first team meeting, which was held this morning. By the time we finished, it was 7:15, and we were done. 200 yards! In one hour! For a half-submerged team meeting. I don't even consider it worth it to get wet for less than 2000. But, the meeting went really well, and short enough to get my 2000 in this morning, in part thanks to the massive push I'm getting from the new lane.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Busy Week

by , September 24th, 2010 at 02:57 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Coached the Sharks last Saturday
    Swam on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday
    I swam the Dennis set on Thursday.

Thought I ate something bad yesterday..

So I end up at the ER having the worst pain I've
    ever experienced in my life.
    Conclusion.......

Kidney stones are PAINFUL!!!!
    I'm pretty sure there was something inside of
    me trying to get out.

All seems better now. Of course the percocet's
    help a lot :-)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/27/10

by , September 24th, 2010 at 02:49 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SYSM has a fairly demanding schedule this week with our Coaches Birthday swim on Tuesday and Tropical Splash open water race on Saturday. Our workouts this week will reflect a kinder/softer tone.

SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 250 3:45
    4 X 75 1:15
    2 X 150 2:15
    6 X 50 :50

1 X 200 kick 4:10
    4 X 75 kick 1:40
    6 X 50 kick 1:00

4 X 150 2:45
    #1 free
    #2 50 stroke/100 free
    #3 100 stroke/50 free
    #4 150 stroke

1 X 100 easy 2:00
    3 X 50 fast 1:15
    Four times through. 50's are choice

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4000Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. FAST Fri Sep 24 2010

by , September 24th, 2010 at 02:02 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Sep 24 2010

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:00 TO 7:30 am
    Austin Mabel Davis pool
    swam with jon, MIKE V, larry, todd, tyler, Marcio, james, nate, brandon, amy & Bob

dove in around 6:05
    brief

WARM UP

MAIN SET

3 rounds of 4 x 50 followed by 100 easy

1) 90% on 1:15 held 32's & 3's

2) 95% on 1:30 held 30's & 31's

3) 100% on 2:00 held 29's & got 1:00 extra rest before #4 & went 27

3 rounds of 4 x 100 followed by 100 easy

1) 90% on 2:00 held 1:17's

2) 95% on 2:30 held 1:10's (missed first one changed to B70 legs, but my cat pulled the string out of it, so I put my brief on over it to keep it from falling down)

3) 100% on 3:00 went 1:06, 5, & 4

Updated September 24th, 2010 at 05:16 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. 9/24 Practice

by , September 24th, 2010 at 01:57 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Warm up
    - 200 free
    - 2x150 swim/drill/stroke
    - 200 kick
    Transition
    - 2x200 back
    Race
    - 100 IM (1:04.95)
    Main Set (1 ez, 1 fast)
    - 2x200 (2:14)
    - 2x150 (1:39)
    - 2x100 (1:02)
    - 2x50 (:30)
    Cool down
    - 200 ez

Pre Race: The race was supposed to be 100 back, but we had a girl that would join us if it was a 100 IM, so 100 IM we did.

The match up: I only train free and back, and I never really learned fly. Damien has 4 solid strokes, his backstroke is technically great (53 in HS), he is only a couple years older than me, didn't swim in college. I have the conditioning advantage, as he is much more social during practice than I am. Going into the race I think he has a slight advantage on the back leg and I have a significant advantage on the free leg. Pretty much I expect to win.

Race: The fly was close at the first turn, Damien gained a half body length on the back, the breast was about even speed wise so Damien lead by a half body length going into the free. I caught up on the free, but I think Damien out touched me. 1:04.95 was the time for both of us.

We waste a lot of time right now with these races, so I hope they become more streamlined the more we do them. A 1 minute race probably took 10 minutes of practice time, which is a lot when I am practicing a little less than an hour.

The main set was pretty painful afterward.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Fatigue on Friday 9/24/10

by , September 24th, 2010 at 10:15 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well as usual I am tired on Friday morning.. no not because of anything juicy. A week of work and working out and then Coaching Masters on Thursday nights usually leaves me a little beaten on Friday morning. However, I still dragged my butt to the pool like the rest of you maniacs!

Warm up
    600 FR
    4 x 50 FL 2:00 the drag suit kills me...kills me...
    10 x 50 K 1:30

Main
    6 x 200 FR 3:30
    200EZ
    150EZ/50FAST
    100EZ/100FAST
    50EZ/150FAST
    200FAST
    200EZ

Post Main
    4 x 150100Paddle pull/50 Swim odds FR, evens BK
    500 Fin Kick

Cool
    4 x 100

Still have to lift today...then I can rest.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Not too bad today

by , September 24th, 2010 at 08:18 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My left ankle was better than it has been. The TENS unit really helped.

100,200,300,400@:15R Free
    500 Free kick every 3rd 25 fast w/fins
    4x100@:05R kick streamline alt back/fly fast
    100 Breast kick
    3x400@7:00 Free w/paddles & fins descend went 6:14, 6:02, 5:50
    300 Free Easy

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. A few more pics

#1 The Pace Arrow: l to r.... Betsy, Sharoz, John
    by Fiona Laughlin

#2 Sea France
    by Fiona Laughlin

#3 Pre Splash
    by John Humenik

#4 Atop Cap Gris Nez: l to r.... John, Laura, Clare, Sharoz

#5 MIMS with kayakers Michael Hayes and Danielle Biordi
    by Clare
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59301_1562477391849_1532784802_1397024_4401286_n.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	6502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59267_1562478111867_1532784802_1397030_6994902_n.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	6503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8310022.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	6504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9050025.JPG 
Views:	338 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	6505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6120025.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	6506  

18. Drylands, Sept. 23

by , September 23rd, 2010 at 05:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 60-70 minutes:

Warm up:

broomstick twists, 25
    windshield wipers, 15
    flutter kicks (on back, arms in streamline position) on bosu, 50
    lateral hops on bench, 1:00

Strength/Power Work:

dead lift singles, 3 x 45, 1 x 95, 1 x 115, 1 x 135, 1 x 135, 1 x 145, 1 x 145, 1 x 155
    med ball floor slams (10 lb ball), 2 x 10
    plyo start drill w/med ball, 1 x 10*
    streamline on back on bosu, 2 x 2:00**
    bulgarian split leg squat w/10 lb plate overhead, 10 x 2 x 10 each leg

-- next time I'll use a heavier plate, as these were relatively easy. Here's a vid of an overhead split squat: [ame="http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Perform-an-Overhead-Split-Squat-23478918"]How to Perform an Overhead Split Squat Video – 5min.com[/ame] I just used a bench for the back leg.
    -- you can do these SSs with added ROM as well -- [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlodHgCipk"]YouTube - DeFrancosTraining.com - Bulgarian split squats w/ added ROM[/nomedia].)

back extensions w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
    body rows (aka inverse pull ups), 2 x 15
    russians twists on incline w/plate, 25 x 2 x 25
    extreme angle isometric squat hold, 4:00 (effen ouch)
    extreme angle isometric push up hold, 1:45

* I used a fairly heavy med ball when I started, but I seemed to put a crack in the drywall. . So I switched to a lighter wall and moved further away from the wall. I should probably do these in the racquetball court in the future.

** This is so much easier on the shoulders, and seems equally effective in building core strength, that I may never do a plank again.

RC Work, 10 minutes:

arm circles, scapular scrunches, seated straight arm dip, external and internal rotators.

Yoga, 30 minutes:

30 minutes of yoga and stretching. I had two people ask how long I'd been doing yoga -- only a year or so. I'm inclined to do shorter more frequent bouts of it rather than the whole 60-90 minute DVD.

Commentary:

Got in a good gym session today. Would have liked to do a technique based swim, but didn't have time. I didn't get as fast a start this week as I was hoping after Savageman. But I still have a month before the Sprint Classic, so it is all good. Other random thoughts:

1. I like the look of the vibrams. I might buy myself a pair for the gym. They were everywhere at Savageman.

2. I need a more concrete plan for the next two 4 week cycles. I will focus on speed work and strength during the week with generous intervals. If I do any aerobic sets, it will be kick endurance or longer shooters. I'll try to get some aerobic work in on the weekend with my team.

3. I may do 1-2 tabata sets during the week for a cardio boost. It's amazing that 4 minutes (of hell, to be sure) can have such a large aerobic impact. http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining

4. I need to throw my MF in the truck.

5. I haven't received the FAST sprint paddles i tried to order. I need to check on that.

6. Trying to decide what to do tomorrow at Mason. Either the 5 x 50 AFAP set or the Gary Hall Sr. kick workout from hell ... I fear the latter would require more tolerance of pain.

7. My fav new smoothie combo has: blackberries, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, beet greens, and plum in it. My allergist told me to stop using flax and coconut water temporarily pending the allergy test results. I seem to have somewhat less GI distress from doing this.

8. I've been pondering the isometric holds and whether to include them in my routine. I've tentatively decided that I want to keep the 2 I did today, but not the others. I may run this by Mr. Fort's trainer to see if they would still have the same benefit. I would think they still would, for the particular strength move involved. These are supposed to become easier and require less recovery if done regularly.

9. Has anyone else been able to get on FB this afternoon?

10. In support of ADD drylands:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071402359.html

Updated September 23rd, 2010 at 08:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/24/10

by , September 23rd, 2010 at 05:24 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 300 4:30
    3 X 100 1:45
    1 X 300 4:30
    4 X 75 1:10
    1 X 300 4:15
    6 X 50 :50

1 X 200 kick 4:10
    4 X 75 kick 1:40
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

1 X 400 IM 7:00
    1 X 300 IM 5:15
    1 X 200 IM 3:30
    1 X 100 IM -

1 X 200 free 3:00 2:50 2:40
    3 X 100 free 1:30 1:25 1:20
    Three times through. Round 1 interval left, round 2 middle, round 3 right.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5200Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday, 9/23/10

by , September 23rd, 2010 at 04:54 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warm up
    200 Swim - 200 Skill Drills
    4 x 50/55 build (did all free)
    8 x 5/30 Strong (did 2 free, 2 back etc)

Challenge Set
    20 x 100/2:00
    Every 4th Timed
    Take pulse after each swim
    Remember Timed Swims
    (1-4, 9-12, 17-20 free: timed ones 1:21, 1:22, 1:23, others ave 1:28-30
    5-8, 13-16 back: timed ones 1:35, 1:32, others 1:38-1:41

HR was 1:45-55 on non timed ones, 155-170 after fast ones)

Cool down
    100 easy free

Total: 2900 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized