View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Thursday Mar 4th 2010

by , March 4th, 2010 at 01:51 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thursday Mar 4th 2010

Austin Grand Prix started today
    swam 100 fly (info below)
    rested a bit for it & shaved chest arms & legs
    huge meet, 1200 swimmers, some national team and olympians
    warm up was a zoo, with all the cages open and animals loose, very crowded warm up lanes

RESULTS
    Psych Sheet

100 fly
    went 54.59
    r:+0.88
    25.16 29.43
    just didn't feel snappy
    went 51.80 last year
    last year I:
    + wore B70 full vs a jammer
    + weighed 10ish lbs less
    + was more psyched & nervous
    + rested more
    + was stronger
    + did more speed and strength training

got great information from this swim:
    need to use it to be better at Zones and Nationals
    time to get:
    faster: more speed training, less aerobic &
    stronger: more weight lifting

might scratch the 400 IM &
    swim the 100 br, 200 FR or 100 bk instead

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 6:30
    swam with max, larry, nate, tyler, brad, mike, ned, chris carter (a guest who's daughter is in the meet)
    wore brief
    dove in 5:45ish

warm up:
    missed it

assigned 4 x ??? on 2:00
    missed it

200 easy missed it

4 x ??? on 1:40
    did: 125's easy to warm up

200 easy

assigned: 4 x ??? on 1:20
    did 100's 75 fr 25 bk

200 easy

assigned: 4 x ??? on 1:00
    did: 100 fr, 75, 25, 100 fr

200 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center Count Down
    Austin Grand Prix
    ENTERED
    # 5 Men Open 100 Fly 51.80Y
    # 14 Men Open 400 IM 4:25.33Y
    # 26 Men Open 100 Free 48.92Y

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated March 4th, 2010 at 01:57 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Thursday morning

by , March 4th, 2010 at 08:25 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Swam solo at the Monon Center. I was running 5 minutes late; somehow that motivated me since I wanted to get this whole workout in. I worked myself into a frenzy and got it all done! Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to get through all my classes today. I'm getting observed in 2 Kindergarten classes this afternoon. I hope I make it!

**500 Freestyle-rest :20 sec
    **2 X 250 Freestyle on 4:00 interval
    **5 X 100 Freestyle on 1:45 interval
    **400 Freestyle (paddles/buoy) rest :20 sec
    **2 X 200 Freestyle on 3:15 interval
    **300 Freestyle build speed to sprint rest :20
    **4 X 75 on Freestyle on 1:15 interval
    **200 Backstroke smooth/steady
    **4 X 50 on :50
    **100 IM EZ
    **100 Free cool-down
    3,500 scy

I think my oldest daughter may have a plan for me tonight! If not I shall do AB ripper and a bit of plyo!
    I have Chiropractor and Grasston tonight after school. I always feel uptight and nervous when I'll be getting that stuff in less than 12 hours! It does make me happy when I'm done though! RELIEF!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Easy does it

by , March 4th, 2010 at 07:51 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just took it easy today and I felt better by the end.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 kick w/fins alt 100 free/100fly
    500 w/fins & snorkle alt 100 free swim/100 free kick
    Free set with paddles & bouy
    100@1:30
    200@3:00
    300@4:30
    400@6:00
    300@4:30
    200@3:00
    100@1:30

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Raffish Badboy in Dishabille

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 10:43 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Entry Word: raffish*
    Function: adjective
    Meaning: lacking in refinement or good taste <the dowager cringed at the thought of raffish
    peasants in rough boots tromping all over her Persian rugs

Entry Word: badboy*
    Function: noun
    Meaning: A young man who has many characteristics of a naughty boy: he's independent and willful; he does what he wants when he wants; he doesn't follow trends, they follow him; he often looks scruffy, but hip; he's not looking for trouble, but there's a sense of danger about him. For these reasons and more, he's irresistible to women. He's a heartbreaker with five o'clock shadow.

Last week, as the Winter Olympic Games were waning, my identical twin brother--the raffish badboy John Thornton, AKA, Rusty Scupperton, AKA, Jimmy Bougar, AKA, Libby Ellen Spooner, and countless other aliases--texted me.

The gist of John's message was that he had found the perfect look for us, and that I would never guess what it was.

I immediately texted him back with a "guess" that I was virtually certain was correct: "The Apollo Ohno soul patch?"

Singletons often think twins have E.S.P., but in my case, it's simply remarkable perception and intuitive intelligence bordering on the uncanny. In our childhood, for instance, I was able to routinely ruin the TV show
    Mannix for anybody watching it with me because of my ability to identify the villain within a second of his initial appearance.

But I am getting off the subject.

Anyhow, John immediately texted me back with what I assumed would be congratulations for my perspicacity. Instead, he said that the Apollo Ohno soul patch was
    not the look he was pioneering for us, but that I was on the right track.

This is when I knew, with 100 percent confidence this time, that John was growing a pencil-thin mustache.

I also knew, with 100 percent confidence, that I was the identical twin brother of a fashion-sense spooky genius.

The pencil thin mustache was absolutely the look that we Thornton twins were born to sport. Sometimes, it seems, the best ideas lie hidden for years right under one's nose.

At this point in my "flowery, florid" commentary, let me intersperse a little "eye candy" pictorial for the ladies to keep interest from flagging:

Despite his album title, I don't think Mr. Buffet has really captured the thinness that is necessary for this particular mustache. And why is he resting his arm on a nuclear reactor cooling tower?

Sometimes a chick-magnetizing look must go out of style for several generations before it can be brought back to magnetize the great great granddaughters of the originally mesmerized chicks.

This appears to be the case with the pencil thin mustache.

I dare say that every American woman alive today had female ancestors who occasionally drifted off to sleep with the assistance of fantasies about Errol Flynn. Has his pencil thin time come again?

As the years passed, the pencil thin mustache's popularity waned to the point where you needed either a British accent...

or roles like Dr. Phibes to pull off the look.

The inimitable John Waters is arguably the most famous modern day proponent of the look, and by his own admission, he is not trying to attract actual women.

At the 2006 National Magazine Awards ceremony, John consoles me about my loss and shows me how to add a little panache to the monkey suit look by tilting my clip on bow-tie
    just so. Amazingly, it did not occur to me to ask him for pencil thin mustache advice because the thought that I would be sporting this look in less than four years had not yet entered my foolish little head!

A few notes before presenting tonight's final eye candy images.

1. At
    tonight's practice, our teammate Mark "Water Rat" Cox was swimming right behind me on a set of 4 x 200s on 3:00 descending. The reason Mark was behind me was he was doing I.M.'s and I was swimming freestyle. Anyhow, the aquatic staff had removed the backstroke flags on the far end of the pool, and Mark crashed into the wall, breaking his nose. So very sorry, Mark! But there is a silver lining here that would dramatically reduce the amount of shaving trauma to the nasal region, practically cutting this in half...

2. To wit, I am very much hoping to cajole Mark along with all the men on our team, and as many of the women who would agree to a short purely reversible course of anabolic steroids, into joining me in the growth, trimming, and general bonzai-tree tending your own pencil thin mustaches in time for this year's regional AMYMSA championships at Clarion University. The Sewickley team, quite frankly, has always scared the bejesus out of the other teams in our Young Men's Christian Association league. Imagine the terror at seeing a dozen people of all genders sporting the same raffishly menacing badboy upper lip hair?

3. Which brings me to a small poll here. Which name do you think would be better for the Sewickley Y masters team?

The Pencil Thin Mustached Sewickley Sea Dragons

or

The Errol Fins

Here is what my own mustache looks like so far. As you can see, it's a little unruly and unkempt at this stage, and I will probably need to be a lot more ruthless in trimming it in the future. But I thought that until my teammate Ben Mayhew makes good on his promise to buy me some mascara and/or Grecian Formula/Just for Men blackening dye, I thought I'd let my freak flag fly at little bit longer.

Speaking of flags flying, after the last few practices, I have found myself exiting the Y in such a state of total exhaustion that were it not for the absolutely frigid air's infiltration, I would surely spend the rest of the night in unwitting and possibly criminal dishabille.*

Entry Word: dishabille*
    Function: noun

1. (Clothing & Fashion) the state of being partly or carelessly dressed
    2. (Clothing & Fashion) Archaic clothes worn in such a state [from French déshabillé undressed, from dés- dis-1habiller to dress; see habiliment]

The pencil thin mustache, it appears, might just keep this raffish badboy déshabillé out of legal jeopardy.

* if you have read down to this point wondering what all the asterisks were for, congratulations! You have just successfully completed the first in an occasional series of Words Are Important vocabulary building exercises courtesy of Vlog the Inhaler Pedantry
    (TM)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Whacky Wednesday 3/3/10

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 09:03 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well not whacky from what I did in workout but just today was nuts!

Swimming wise was good, a nice 4000 yards in 90 minutes...

Warm Up
    200 Swim Snorkel
    200 Kick
    200 Pull Paddles
    Sprint Main
    10 x 100 FR 3:00 25 SPRINT and Turn then EZ 75 held them all sub 1:30.
    50 Hard around :32 from push.
    3 x 50 EZ
    Stroke Set
    12 x 50 BR 1:00 every 4th fast!
    9 x 50 BR 1:05 every 3rd fast!
    6 x 50 BR 1:10 every 2nd fast!
    4 x 50 BR 1:15 all fast!
    Um...fast is kinda relative at 3000+ yards in and after 1550 of it BR...let's just say it's faster than the non "fast" ones.
    Kick Set
    500 FR Fin Kick
    Cool

3 x 50 EZ

Back is still a little twingey but I'm swimming OK. Might do an elliptical tomorrow...we'll see. I'm not rushing back to lifting and cardio...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Active vs. Passive Rest

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 06:18 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    A friend and I were talking about rest, overtraining, and related issues today. It got me thinking about rest and the individualization of rest again. While thinking about this, I came across the following article:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/rest.html

Several years ago, I remember a former SEC running coach told me that for recovery, he suggested "recovery runs" for some runners and no running for others. I asked him why the different approaches and he said that it depended on the personality of the runner. He explained that some individuals are so intense that even when they think they are "taking it easy," in reality they aren't. Such individuals are good candidates for HR training so they are reminded to take it easy. Still, he said these individuals would rationalize reasons why they should get their HR up higher. With such individuals, he said the benefit of a recovery run was outweighed by the likelihood of overtraining and bad technique perpetuated by "slow running."

I asked him about doing other activities such as swimming, biking, etc. He said that was o.k. as long as the athlete went easy, but even for some, there sometimes needed to be a day during the week where they didn't "exercise." His theory was that such individuals, even on their "non-exercise" days, were still going to be active enough to not get stiff.

Lately, I've thought about what he has said and it makes sense. I may take a day off from exercise, but I certainly would not call it "passive rest." For example, I teach a class at the college and where I park requires me to climb five flights of stairs up a hill. I work on the second floor, so once I enter the building, I am once again required to go up the steps. Since I am an adjunct and don't have an office at the college, I lug a bunch of stuff around with me - the book for the class, graded papers, a notebook containing all of my lecture notes. While I teach my class which lasts 75 minutes, I pace back and forth as I talk (standing perfectly still for this amount of time would cause me to faint). After class, walk back to my car and drive home. Once home, I walk my dog in the backyard (we live on close to 8 acres). Once inside, time to start household chores - laundry, etc. At some point, I will be lifting items to be put away, bending over to pick up things off the floor that should not be there, and then once again, I will walk the puppy. Once it warms up, I'm sure I'll be pulling a few weeds, sweeping the front steps, or picking up branches.

I would hardly call such days "passive rest" days. Is there really such a thing with individuals who have an active life? I think not unless they have no responsibilities and can sleep all day in front of the t.v.

To keep my back from getting stiff, I did my yoga stretches and torso twists a little while ago. Guess this took about 15 minutes. I don't think I would be well-served to go do a "recovery swim." I don't think it would do me any good to run, lift weights, or do an exercise class. I'm just too intense of a person for it to do me any good on my "off day."

I wonder if older athletes with lots of responsibilities can really follow the routine of professional type athletes who don't have other jobs or kids to take care of (if they have kids, they have people hired to take care of their kids). For professional athletes, an active rest day where they do some low intensity exercise is great for them, but in the life of some masters swimmers, a normal day in their life without the usual exercise (swimming, running, lifting weights, cycling, exercise classes such as CrossFit, P9OX, etc.) is still an active rest day.

I think I as well as many masters athletes are quick to get overtrained because when we should completely take a day off from our usual exercise, we still find some way to do a workout and call that day a "recovery day with active rest."

Updated March 3rd, 2010 at 10:08 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Day 3 of Laziness, Wed., March 3

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 04:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Yoga:

Planned to go to hot yoga today, but I couldn't make it in time for the noon class as I was at ART (see below).

So, I put in the Yoga Shakti DVD and customized my own program using the yoga matrix. It was about 75 minutes long, and I liked this routine better than the preset 90 minute routines. I only used one set of sun salutations and skipped all the dancing warrier series. I added the ab series, which was interesting. But I need yoga blocks for some of these moves, they're so difficult. The spine twisting series were great. This seems like a great adjunct to the spine strengthing series in bikram and all the twisting core work in the gym.

ART:

Given my malaise, I decided a tune up and visit to my ART doc was in order. I spent the entire 30-40 minutes grilling him about nutrition, as he's rather an expert on that with advanced non-ART degrees. Here's a summary:

1. Supplements good. HA! He says that all high performing, high level endurance athletes use them and need them. He says there are growing studies that support their efficacy. Perhaps they aren't the years long well controlled double blind studies that docs rely on. I may email him and ask him for the studies.

2. We discussed my difficulty with workout and recovery drinks (can't use whey products, gatorade give me heartburn). He said (a) I should always use an electrolyte drink if exercising more than 35 minutes; (2) I should try Endura again, which is a medical grade and very pure electrolyte drink powder without additives (so it shouldn't upset my seemingly delicate GI system). I have heard that Lance Armstrong started using Endura and ditched Hammer products after a recent "bad batch" of Hammer products came out.

3. With respect to whey, he said the hemp protein I'm using is very good. However, pure compounds of whey are the best for building and maintaining muscle. Once I get the gluten issue under control (still suffering symptoms, blech), we can try a very fractionated type of whey that will have very little, if any, lactose in it.

4. He approves of my smoothies! And says that, yes indeed, they may have been keeping me healthier this year b/c they are loaded with immuno-system-boosting nutrients. He suggested adding a teaspoon of coconut oil to my smoothies, as that is a superior recovery agent. I did mention what Quick had said about type O blood types being sensitive to coconut. He said, once I get the gluten out of my system, I should try one tsp and see if I get a reaction within 4-6 hours. If not, put it in the smoothies. He seems to buy about 70% of the blood type diets.

5. He loves Michael Pollan's rule that one should not eat anything that doesn't rot.

6. I'm going to add another ingredient to my smoothies as well: InflamX360, which is referred to as a "medical food." Anyway, he thinks this will help with recovery and help calm down my traumatized GI system as well. It apparently tastes very nasty, but hopefully all the berries will disguise the flavor. InflamX also has L-Glutamine in it.

7. Soy is poison for me. I checked to make sure the Paul Newman salad dressings I often use don't have this or any other hidden gluten ingredients in it. Luckily, they do not.

8. My shoulders are stable. Yay! He approves of my new routine of lighter weights + core intensive/body weight exercises + yoga. The heavier weights do put a lot of strain on the shoulders. But he certainly found some "hot spots." (Jokes already made about this phraseology. )

Core Stabilization Exercises:

Here's some good core work to do at home I think you could also do it at the gym with 2 benches.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sv7C5U0CAs"]YouTube- BodyWeightCulture.com-Functional Core stabilization[/ame]

Commentary:

I'm hoping these last 3 recovery days are enough to jolt me back to normalcy. I want to be able to kick Speedo's ass in the pool tomorrow. If not, I'm going back to HTFU.

USMS on Youtube:

Never knew we had this link: http://www.youtube.com/USMastersSwimming

Updated March 3rd, 2010 at 09:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    ART , Yoga
  8. Dreaming of future swimming wonders

Today I swam at the Y during early morning lap swim again, and it worked out well. I had my own lane for the first half of my workout, then circled with just one other swimmer for the rest. Plus, during a break between sets someone from a neighboring lane told me that I was “such a beautiful swimmer!” I think I really like this morning Y swim crowd!

Here’s what I did:

1000 scy warmup (400 swim/200 kick/200 pull/200 drillswim)

5 x 100 @ 1:30 FR -> BK pacman set

200 kick w/ fins (100 mod, 2 x 50 build)

6 x 50 w/ fins (25 + turn sprint, rest easy) @ long rest [I did 3 FR, 2 BK, and 1 FL]

5 x 100 w/o fins (25+turn sprint, rest easy) @ 2:15 [2 FR, 2 BK, 1 FL]

10 x 50 FR/BK halfsies @ :50 [all easy-mod pace, but worked on really snapping legs over on turns]

100 easy warmdown

Afterwards I stretched out in the warm, pretty pool, then headed upstairs for a short rowing workout. I had tried to go to the gym’s rowing class last night, but it has become very popular again and was already full when I arrived. (Rowing class is a bit like spin class on Concept 2 erg machines, an interval workout with everyone rowing in sync and an instructor calling out instructions and, often, narrating a rowing course or race for us. No disco music. It’s a great workout in 45 minutes) So I decided to do some rowing on my own today—I programmed the machine to do 2-minute pieces, with :30 rest in between. I warmed up on the first 2, then descended numbers 3-5 and 6-8, then warmed down the last two. (I went 2:19/2:14/2:08, 2:35 (was chatting with a fellow rower here)/2:12/2:07 on my descends. Those numbers are average 500m pace during the 2 minutes of rowing).

One cool thing about rowing on erg machines is all the information and feedback you get—after every stroke, the machine calculates your 500m pace time for that stroke, per-minute stroke rate, average pace for the piece, projected finish time or distance, etc. (It also does the standard workout-machine stuff like calories burned, wattage, and so forth, and will even give you a little pace boat picture to race if you tell it to do so). Seeing how small changes in rowing technique affect the numbers on each rowing stroke really helps me stay focused on maintaining good technique. Plus the rowing room has mirrors on the front and sides, so you can visually check your technique now and then.

I often think how great it would be to have all this info while swimming. Can you imagine swimming 200 descends in workouts and getting feedback each stroke cycle about your stroke rate, your dps, your current speed (measured as, say, your 100-pace), and your projected finish time? All this could be projected wirelessly into your goggles. Actually, figuring out how to do that for stroke rate should be doable (and has maybe already been done—I know Speedo used to sell a swim watch with metal sensors on the sides that calculated stroke rates by measuring changes in conductivity and using that to figure out how many times the watch, and thus the arm wearing it, had been dipped into and out of the water per minute. I’m not sure if they still make this, or if it was widely adopted by teams. I think the technology to take such stroke rate info and make it appear somehow in the field of vision of a person wearing goggles exists.) Measuring swimmers speeds at very frequent intervals would be trickier. Swimmetrics does it with tethering; you could possibly do it untethered in an endless pool, if you could get precise measurement of both the speed of the water current and the swimmer’s position relative to the back wall of the tank (and maybe, once you got that latter measurement, you could have the speed of the water current automatically adjust itself so that the swimmer stayed in roughly the same place no matter the swimming speed. Can endless pools already do this?) Maybe by the time I’m in the 85-59 age group all this will be old technology!

The heat sheets and timeline for this weekend’s swim meet on Long Island are up. It looks like it will be a short meet, starting at 9 and ending around 12:15, even with several 1000 heats in there. I’m swimming 100 FR, 50 FL, 50 BK, and 50 FR. (I know ahead of time I won’t be swimming any relays, since I’m the only woman from our team attending). It should be a fun event.

[I do realize that resuming 2 leg-intensive activities (I went to ballet class Monday night, plus the rowing today) is probably not optimal meet-week prep. But I figured getting back into my NYC routine took priority of being perfectly prepared. And it’s still early in the week, and I’m not too sore from the ballet, so I think things will be fine. I just have to remember how to do starts—I haven’t practiced those since my last meet in January!]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wednesday, 3/3/10

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 11:40 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

300 swim, alt. free & back
    4 x 75 alt. drill/kick/swim by 25 w/10 sec. rest.
    (did these IM order)
    swim 4 x 25 choice on 30 descend to fast
    (all free, to about 18->15)
    swim 3x50 free on 50, stretch out the stroke
    (free atound 37-8)
    swim 3x50 choice on 55, build to about 85% on each 50
    (back around 42)

swim 3x around:
    {did #1 free, #2-3 back
    200 on 3:10 for free or 3:30 for back
    (free @ 2:44, back at 3:10, 3:12)
    3 x 100 on 1:35 for free or 1:50 for back
    (free around 1:20-22, back around 1:30-35)
    50 fast off blocks on 1:30
    (free at 34, back around 38-39)
    }

200 swim down choice
    --
    Total: 2850 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Wednesday Mar 3rd 2010, Grand Prix

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 11:37 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Mar 3rd 2010

a friend sent me some of my old masters data:

Year Event Course Time Rank Age

1988 100 free SCY 48.02 3 24
    1988 100 fly SCY 53.63 3 24
    1988 100 IM SCY 54.36 1 24

1988 200 IM SCY 2:00.15 2 24
    1988 50 free SCY 21.20 8 25
    1988 100 free SCY 47.12 8 25
    1988 50 fly SCY 23.01 4 25
    1988 100 fly SCY 50.97 4 25

1990 50 free SCM 24.02 2 26
    1990 100 free SCM 52.70 2 26
    1990 50 fly SCM 26.01 1 26

1991 50 free SCY 20.87 5 27
    1991 100 free SCY 46.40 7 27
    1991 50 free LCM 24.09 1 28
    1991 100 free LCM 54.87 2 28
    1991 50 fly LCM 25.74 1 28

1992 50 fly LCM 25.68 2 29

Austin Grand Prix starts tomorrow, Thursday Mar 4th, I'm resting a bit for it & plan to shave
    huge meet, with 1200 swimmers.
    RESULTS
    Psych Sheet
    schedule

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    5:30 - 7:00
    swam with several lanes over from where I normally do with ed, bob, brian, steve & a few others
    wore brief
    dove in 5:45ish

warm up:
    missed it

assigned: 2 rounds of:
    4 x 25 fl
    4 x 50 bk
    4 x 75 br
    4 x 100 fr
    4 x 125, 100 IM + 25 stroke
    300 k
    did: missed part of first round, think I dove in on the 100 free's
    just swam easy and warmed up
    kicked 6 x 50's on the 300 k
    did most of 2nd round except I did 75's on the 125's

2010 MEETS:

Austin Grand Prix
    ENTERED

INFO

Order of Events

Updated March 3rd, 2010 at 12:00 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Meet Results from Republic of Texas and some random asides

Since there are a lot of people on the forums who happen to know a lot of people who were at the meet, here are the official results.

http://www.damswim.com/meet_results/..._Texas_SCY.pdf

Yes, I am the world record holder in 7 events now. Ah the power of the first meet, and brand new record book and being the only person in my age group

This morning my coach told me to change my breathing pattern... on a set of 500s. I laughed and tried negotiating changing on a shorter distance and then ignore her. I like oxygen, especially on 500s.

Agave Nectar! If you are a coffee drinker, give it a try. It has a richer smoother sweetness compared to white sugar. Warning to Fort: LW thinks the all natural flavored ones might have gluten in the flavor.

After manly Rich came in town and kicked my in the 50 free, I have decided that I need to do more girly workouts like Fort. Especially since there was a girl who beat me in the 50 free I will be stealing "core" ideas from Fort, and I did some last night. Apparently Fort's definition of core is anything below the eyebrows. I did some weighted twist things (she has posted videos) that worked the back well as well as everything else.

My team doesn't have a schedule for workout styles. I think I am going to request one so that I can plan my solo practices better. The team practices are MWF, any suggestions for a good pattern? I was expecting a sprint workout today, and I was going to lift and ride the bike tonight and do a long aerobic swim tomorrow. Today turned out to be distance...

My weight has stabilized between 170 and 173. Tanita has told me bf% of 6.6% to 11.2 for that range.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Ouch just not recovering

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 07:24 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    A year ago I could do this but now. We got in late again since the guard over slept.

1000 free as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 moderate
    5x200@3:00 free w/paddles & bouy went 2:53, 2:50, 2:50, 2:43, 2:36
    300 free swim w/snorkle good body position
    200 free kick w/snorkle

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sabbatical

by , March 3rd, 2010 at 02:10 AM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    I'm sure this is no loss to anyone but there will be no more Nuggets issuing from these quarters for a little while, as I am sulking.

In brief, I practiced and signed up at USMS with Academy Bullets during the 2 month break my regular team takes in fall 2009.

I'd been with that particular team since I first started swimming in 1993. I did stroke clinics with them and loved their workouts. I eventually got hooked on Open Water, and their 2 month break fell at a bad time for my OW marathon swimming training. Nobody on that team shares my passion for marathon swimming, or even Open Water. I wish they did. I do miles and miles alone in the pool.

Well.....I paid up with my old team for the '10 season because I love their Tuesday and Thursday night practices and I get sick of swimming alone. I thought since I don't do pool meets and I'm generally a pretty harmless person who goes to practice regularly I'd be ok.

It seems not.

I was told I could NOT attend my old teams's practices starting summer if I didn't change my USMS designation back to their club.

OK, but where does this leave Bullets??? Why should THEY allow me to practice with them if I change my designation back to the other team?

How does one practice with more than one masters' team? I know people do it!

A

Updated March 3rd, 2010 at 08:13 PM by Chicken of the Sea (removing more names because I am, after all, a Chicken)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Wind, cold and wet

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 10:04 PM (FREEDom)
    March 2
    Another bad weather day for swimming outdoors tonight, but we got it in. Wind was blowing pretty hard. Good thing I did not do too much backstroke... it was hard to hold the line. Just us guys tonight -- Luke, Eduardo, Mike, and George F... and me. Where were all the women?

Distance night

Warm up
    400 300 200 100

5 x 50 on 1:00 choice

5 x 200 on 2:35 desc 1>5
    swam 1 -2 w/ snorkel... which kills me. Desc 3 - 5 to 2:11
    200 easy

5 x 100 1:30 pull hyp 7 3 5 3 by 25. I snorkeled these

6 x 225 on 3:45 as
    - 50 kick
    - 100 swim cruise
    - 75 build

500 kick w/ fins as
    - 200 kick on 2:50
    - 200 kick on 3:00
    - 100 kick on 1:30

200 warm down

I can pull or even swim with paddles OK with a snorkel. But if I swim intervals > 100, it kills me, just gasping for air after about 200 yards. I tried to do the first 3 200s w/ snorkel, but had to drop at #2 was dead, and it killed me the rest of that set. I felt good in the water before that but not so hot afterward. I've mostly used the snorkel for technique, balance and pulling, but will be looking to add more swimming with in an attempt to build up the lungs .. or learning to swim faster with oxygen deprivation.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tuesday

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 09:53 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Swim with Nasti's tonight. I was late and missed warm-up time. This was my 5th day in a row of swimming; the other 4 practices were great. Tonight was bored and tired. Here's what we did"

**5 X 100 on 2:00 interval (1:25's)
    **4 X 25 kick on :45 Flutter no fins
    **4 X 100 on 1:50 interval (1:24's)
    **4 X 25 Free ?
    **3 X 100 on 1:40 (1:24's)
    **4 X Kick on :45 no fins
    **2 X 100 on 1:30 (1:25's)
    **4 X 25 stroke on :40
    **1 X 100 fast
    **4 X 25 breath control patterns?
    **ez 100 back

My SPARK seminar I was doing Friday has been postponed till June. I figured they wouldn't get enough people for it to go. Indy is hosting the National AAHPERD Convention this month. I assume most teachers around here would use their professional days for a National Conference, a rare opportunity.
    Anyway I'm glad. I'm all out of personal days so I was going to have to call in fake sick. I hate to do that. I would have liked to have earned the extra money though.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Gearing up

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 09:38 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Back to real yardage today. Haven't done a workout this long since early January. I could tell I have almost gotten out of shape. Still, the taper for the meet and the rest afterward had to be good for the body. Hoping to feel back in the grove in another week.

Used first set as a warm-up:

10 x 150 pull on 2:15. Did first two swims with out equipment. For the rest of the set, used paddles and pull buoy.

3 rounds of 4 x 125 I.M. on 2:00 (with fins, do flutter kick on br)
    #1 - 50 fly, 25 back, 25 br, 25 fr
    #2 - 25 fly, 50 back, 25 br, 25 fr
    #3 - 25 fly, 25 back, 50 br, 25 fr
    #4 - 25 fly, 25 back, 25 br, 25 fr

1 minute rest between rounds

4 x 100 free on 1:30

1 minute rest

4 x 100 free with paddles on 1:25

1 minute rest

4 x 100 free with paddles and fins on 1:15

3 x 100 - 25 underwater/75 easy on 1:00 rest

4500 SCY

Will take tomorrow off. Adding the weights and running back in along with the increase in yardage is tiring me down a little. Will be back in the pool on Thursday.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Pulled a double today

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 09:07 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Since it was just going to be McKaylin I would be coaching tonight I decided to keep her company. It was a humbling experience. Last year I could beat both her and Sandra. Not any more. I was exceedingly slow compared to her.

500 Free
    10x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy was holding 1:18's on these
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fly
    10x50@1:00 Back
    4x200@3:15 Free last one EASY!

Total 3300 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Tired, March 2

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 05:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Commentary:

Commentary first today. I've had the blahs for awhile, but I've been feeling wiped out since Sunday. I'm worried I'm overtrained. And it was probably inadvisable to start skipping my once a week rest day on Saturday. After about 1000 yards in the pool, I threw out my planned workout and did another low yardage recovery day. Had to take Mini to the gym, but didn't do much there either. I'm going to my chiro tomorrow and will just plan something else mellow again, I guess. It would also help if I had less kid drama and less pervasive gray gloom, I guess. And I certainly don't want to get ISH.

And I still have loads to do tonight ... May have to take Chaos' advice and sell the kids, pet, house, etc.!

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

4 x 100 breast pull w/MF @ 2:00

50 EZ

Hypoxic Sets:

30 x 25 shooters w/MF @ :15 RI
    10 back, 10 side, 10 belly

10 x 50 double shooters on back w/MF @ 1:00

50 EZ

Total: 2400

Drylands:

catch windmill w/15 DB, 1 x 15 each side
    box jumps, 1 x 10
    twisting lunges w/15 lb DB, 1 x 15 each leg
    flutter kick on bosu, 1 x 50
    Mr. Fort's hip/ham exercise w/40 lb BB, 1 x 15

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 1 x 15 each position

Post Article:

There was an article in the Post today about the fact that quinine is ineffective in combating leg cramps. It was referring to nighttime leg cramps. This is consistent with the advice Gull gave on line long ago. I think magnesium may work better for me anyway.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030102881.html

Also on healthy diets: http://ow.ly/1drd3

Updated March 2nd, 2010 at 05:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  19. Tuesday Mar 2nd 2010

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 10:23 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tuesday Mar 2nd 2010

Austin Grand Prix starts on Thursday
    resting a bit for it & plan to shave,
    huge meet, 1200 swimmers.
    RESULTS
    Psych Sheet
    schedule

Whitney sent this schedule announcement yesterday

Due to the Grand Prix meet with 1200 swimmers we will have limited practice time. Sorry for any inconveniences but some is better than none.

Tuesday 3/2 normal morning and night
    Wednesday 3/3 normal morning and noon
    Thursday 3/4 5:30 - 6:30 am ONLY (no night)
    Friday 3/5 5:30 - 6:30 am ONLY (no noon)
    Saturday 3/6 none
    Sunday 3/7 12 - 1:15 pm

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool,
    Whitney coached
    6:30 - 8:00
    swam with
    Mike, Nate, paul ritchie & Todd
    beside Ned,Tyler, jon, & larry
    wore B70 full
    dove in 6:35ish

warm up:
    not sure what it was
    did around 300 fr

assigned: 400 fr aerobic 75% effort
    did: 4 x 50

rest 1:00

100 IM fast
    dove
    went 57

assigned: 200 IM fast
    did: 100 IM fast dove
    went 56

assigned: 300 IM fast
    did: skipped

assigned: 400 IM fast
    did: skipped

100 IM FAST
    went 55

50 flutter kick fast
    with jon's big yellow board
    roll start
    tyler timed
    went 28.2

2010 MEETS:

Austin Grand Prix
    ENTERED

INFO

Order of Events
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Late start and sprint, not much yardage

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 07:31 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    The guard was late today so started 10 minutes late. Decided to try to sprint but felt like an incredible slug.

500 Free as 25 kick/swim/pull
    32x25@:45 sprint #1-8 fly (:21's) #9-16 back (:21's) #17-24 breast (:26's) #25-32 free (:16's) just felt like I couldn't move on these
    200 Free easy
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fly
    8x100@1:30 w/paddles as 50 free/50 back
    200 Free easy

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized