View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Moving ok this morning but it is chillie here

by , October 5th, 2010 at 07:32 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I did not want to dive into the cold water but did finally do it.

1000 as 200Swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd lap fast
    5x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins
    5x200@3:15 as 100free/100back w/paddles and bouy
    500 Free w/snorkle alt 100 swim/100 kick

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Monday, 10/4/10

by , October 4th, 2010 at 06:26 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with Carrie

300 Mix of free & back
    4 x 75/1:15 Build
    (did free, went 1:00± on these)
    4 x 50/50 desc
    (did backstroke, went 45->42)
    4 x 25/30 (went fly-free-fly-free)

Swim (1500)
    4 x 100/1:45 ds free
    (went 1:25->1:18)
    8 x 25/40 Fast
    (free-back-fly(2x),free-back; free around 16, back 18, fly 17)
    3 x 100/1:40 ds free
    (went 1:23->1:20)
    6 x 25/45 Fast
    (fly-back-free(2x), free around 16, back 18, fly 17)
    2 x 100/1:35 desc free
    (went 1:25, 1:22)
    4 x 25/50 Fast
    (free-back-fly-free, free around 16, back 18, fly 17)
    1 x 100/1:30 build free
    (went 1:22)
    2 x 25/55 Fast
    (back-free, free around 16, back 18)

Kicks (900)
    Fins: Kick 10 x 50/1:00 Very Strong
    (1-5 w/board alt flutter and dolphin, times 35-38, 6-10 on back times around 37)
    No Fins: Kick 8 x 50/1:15 Very Strong
    (1-4 flutter w/board, times around 50-52, 5-8 flutter on back times around 55)

Cool down
    100 easy back & free

Total 3400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Nada, Oct. 24

by , October 4th, 2010 at 05:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Finally gave in and decided to rest. Too many coughing, breathing and asthma issues. So today is my 4th day out of the water. I don't think 30 minutes on Saturday really counts. Not sure I'll get in tomorrow either, as I'm in Lil Fort's class in the am and getting my foot jabbed in the pm. In light of all this, I think Indy at the end of the month is out for me. I won't be ready and I had wanted to attempt to swim fairly fast there. So I guess I'll reboot and aim for another SCM meet in December.

Updated October 4th, 2010 at 05:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Fall open-water swimming

This past weekend I had two wonderful swims out at Brighton Beach with the CIBBOWS group. Saturday was pretty much a perfect beach day—air temps in the high 60s, sunny, water around 70, little wind, and very few jellies or other mysterious critters in the water. I stayed in the water for about 1.5 hours, most of it swimming, but some of it just floating around and looking at the scenery. It was heavenly. I’ve felt somewhat tentative and ill at ease as I’ve reacquainted myself with the ocean this fall. Saturday was the first day that I truly felt like the water loved me and that I wanted to stay in it forever. That’s what I think open water swimming is supposed to feel like!

On Sunday the conditions were a bit tougher. The weather had cooled—the air temp seemed to stay at 50 all day long—the sun was in and out, and it was definitely windy. The water temp had only cooled by a few degrees, though, so it was still very comfortable. I ended up doing the entire 5K course with my swim buddy Hannah—the first time I’d actually swum the whole way. It really helps to have someone of comparable speed to swim with—if I had been by myself I would have been sorely tempted to stop sooner.

There was considerable chop in the opposite direction of the current on Sunday, so if you swam in one direction you felt like you were being carried forward by the waves, but in reality you were going very slowly. In the other direction you actually got wherever you were heading pretty quickly, but really felt like you were being tossed backward and buffeted by the water. I enjoyed turning over and doing backstroke when swimming against the current and watching the waves break over my head.

When I was swimming against the current, I tried out several freestyle variations. When I watch good open-water swimmers, they all seem to have a considerably faster turn-over than me, so I tried using shorter strokes and a quicker turnover for a while. But that just seemed to increase the number of times my arms ran right into the waves in a way that made any useful pulling difficult. I also tried doing more of a catch-up stroke, and using that forward arm to help my body ride along the waves. Maybe what worked best, though, was combining this catch-up stroke with an exaggerated rotation, and actually kicking while doing so. It did feel more like I could knife through the moving water on my side, but maybe that was just an illusion. It was fun playing around with different stuff, anyway.

As the weather and water gets colder I’ll be experimenting with things to do to stay warm during my swims. I’ve been reading this cold-water thread on the discussion forums and taking note of the tips there. I’ve never worn earplugs before, but I’ve bought a pair and stowed them in my OW bag for when the temps drop. Swimmers were also double-capping on Sunday, so I can try that too. I’ve ordered a neoprene cap, but won’t wear it unless I absolutely have to to endure the cold.

For after the swim, several people bought hot thermoses on Sunday, and sips of cocoa did feel really good. I think I”ll try that. And I really like knowing warm clothes are waiting for me after my swim. This weekend a sweater and swim parka sufficed (along with hat and mittens), but as the weather gets colder some ski pants and sheepskin boots might just make a field trip to the beach as toasty après-swim wear.

The one thing I forgot on Saturday was some sort of lubricant to avoid suit/pit chafing, and I ended up with both. I used some on Sunday and don’t think anything got worse. But until my suit chafing heals, I need to find another OW swimsuit that hits me at a different spot under my left arm. Here’s the suit that chafed me:

I like wearing it in open water because it is unlined, so sea lice or other stuff in the water doesn’t get stuck between the lining and the suit.

I went through my suit drawer today to see if I had any other unlined suits I could wear. Here’s what I found:

A friend gave me this European Arena suit a few years ago, and I’ve only worn it a few times. With no lining, it’s a little sheer for pool swimming. However, those white patches and the arena logos along the sides are iridescent, and I’ve read that some predatory fish are attracted to shiny objects, so I’m a little worried about wearing this in the ocean.

I originally bought this Japanese Speedo as a competition suit, but it’s gotten a bit stretched out. I might convert it to an OW suit. But if I do, I don’t have any backup competition legless suits to wear at meets. And that’s a useful option to have for casual meets, or outdoor ones held in hot pools like the Wilton meet this summer. Then again, having a reason to shop for a new competition suit might not be so bad!

This is an old Nike polyester suit. It might well do—I’ll have to test it out on a shorter swim, because polyester suits seem more likely to chafe me than regular ones. I’ve worn it tons, but it still looks like new.

I’m ashamed to admit how many years I’ve had this sad-looking Dolfin suit. It was a grabbagger, and I always avoided wearing it for 2 reasons: (1) it reminded me of my hideous junior-high gym uniform, and (2) the lining and the suit seem to be different sizes—there’s way more lining than suit here. So I was thinking I could cut out the lining, and have a serviceable OW swimsuit. Has anyone ever tried delining a suit before?

I’m worried that with the stretchy fabric it will be hard to cut the lining out without either cutting the suit or leaving in enough lining to cause chafing problems. But if I’m ever going to try this with a suit, it might as well be this one, since I will not shed any tears if it ends up not working.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Final Solution for Fatties Like Me

by , October 4th, 2010 at 03:45 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

My first two weight loss techniques:

A) Stop Eating, and

B) Chastity Belt Adapted for Buccal Cavity/Yawning Maw

have, alas, failed to provide the miracle breakthrough for weight loss I'd hoped for.

The former proved surprisingly impossible to sustain for longer than seven or eight minutes at a time. And the latter, unfortunately, could just not survive the wicked mechanical forces of my rasper organ of a mouth. This, apparently like a Dyson vacuum cleaner, NEVER LOSES SUCTION.

I am forced, thus, to go back to the only absolutely 100 percent guaranteed remedy: a broken heart, or, because I have become much too fat of late to attract anybody who could then cruelly reject me, a facsimile of a broken heart.

And so, ladies and gentlemen, my fellow rotundity victims and would be Hunger Artists, I present to you the third in my Triptych of Weight Loss Methods. I think you will soon see that I have saved the best for last with...

Jim’s Melancholia Spa ®

Evidently, not depressed enough!

At Jim’s Melancholia Spa ® we specialize in helping you lose weight fast--without dangerous diet drugs or even potentially heart-stopping light-to-moderate exercise prescriptions.

Our philosophy couldn’t be simpler:

Lose the will to live, lose the will to eat! ®

When you first check in (no shoe laces, please!), our crack team of psychiatric nurse practitioners will administer medicines to deplete your brain of serotonin, noradrenaline, and a host of other neurotransmitters associated with feelings of well-being. Soon, you’ll have no appetite left for anything--sex, life, and most importantly, food-- which is just as well because the only “nourishment” we provide at Jim’s Melancholia Spa ® is synthetic potato chips fried in Olestra and flavored with aspartame!

Yum, yum!

Wink, wink!

If you can stomach “three squares a day” of this proprietary Melancholia Spa Foodstuff Staple ®, you’ll lose weight even faster than most, thanks to the virtual certainty of acidic anal emissions!

Acidic or not, at Jim’s, we see every kind of elimination as a good thing. For this reason, there will be no shortage of purgatives and Ipecac provided gratis to all our guests.

Unlike trendy “fun” spas that promise the weight-loss moon but measure “success” in ounces, Jim’s Melancholia Spa ® is not set near some picturesque beach where the balmy breezes blow, keeping spirits high. You can find us instead in an underground cavern in Missouri (pronounced “misery,” pun intended!) tucked ever so deep inside the earth’s crust and ever so far removed from the green sunlit comforts of surface life.

Indeed, at Jim’s Melancholia Spa ®, we pride ourselves on bringing you...A Little Closer to Hell ®.

It’s a cold hell, too. Day or night, winter or summer, the temperature in our pitch black underworld never gets above or below an uncomfortable 52 degrees F. We let you keep your underwear, even provide you with a horsehair blanket to cover yourself as you curl up in fetal position around a wet stalagmite. Most of our guests, however, become so forlorn they eventually abdicate their wet blankets altogether.

As certain medical researchers in Germany discovered during the late 30s and early 40s, the only thing better than despondency at triggering weight loss is despondency stoked by hypothermia!

For guests with proof of health insurance, our Tough Lovin’ Staffers ®--the best brutal blackguards you could ever hope to have care for you!--will offer the special a la carte Close Shave ® option. You show them the money, and they’ll hand you a straight razor and turn their backs for up to 15 minutes while you “freshen up.” To be sure, our crack team of vascular surgery nurse practitioners will be Johnny-on-the-spot to repair any weight-draining mischief you get yourself into!

____

"It is as if any appreciable time spent in Jim’s Melancholia Spa ® changes one forever."

____

No matter whether you choose the two-month, six-month, or deluxe ten-year Spa packages, we guarantee that when you once again ascend from the bowels of the earth to stand in the light of day, there will be a much thinner you thereupon standing. Our long-term guests, once morbidly obese, invariably find themselves transformed into wraiths who sport the hollow eyes and sunken cheeks that for so many of us define physical attractiveness. We can’t name names, but suffice it to say: some of the top fashion models working today got their start as tubby teens whose parents loved them enough to send them to Jim’s Melancholia Spa Summer Camp for Fat Girls ®.

But what about relapse rates, you’re probably wondering. You’re probably well aware of the statistics of weight loss--the 95 percent long-term failure rate of virtually every diet known to man. Talk about depressing!

Please know too that our program truly is different, and tiny is the number of recidivists that eventually leave our cavern. It is as if any appreciable time spent in Jim’sMelancholia Spa ® changes one forever.

But in the unlikely event you do eventually begin to perk and pork up again, don’t quietly despair! Despair grandly, ever while knowing that Jim’s Melancholia Spa ® awaits like a booster shot, loaded with all the encouraging discouragement you need to wither your way back to ideal weight and less!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -10/05/10

by , October 4th, 2010 at 03:02 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:00
    3 X 150 2:15
    4 X 100 1:30
    6 X 50 :50

1 X 200 3:00 2:50 2:40
    3 x 100 1:30 1:25 1:20
    3 X 50 FAST 1:00 1:00 1:00
    Three times through. Round 1 intervals left, 2middle, 3 right.

1 X 100 kick 2:10
    4 x 50 kick 1:00
    Twice through.

1 X 50 easy 1:15
    1 X 50 build 1:00
    1 X 50 FAST 1:00
    Repeat 6 times, total 18 50's.
    All choice, focus on the six fast ones.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5200Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Monday Morning 10/04/10

by , October 4th, 2010 at 10:46 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well a odd weekend for me personally but I managed to go and captain lead the masters practice for about 2900 yards.

This morning I had my regular workout:
    Warm up
    600 FR

Set1
    5 x 200 1,3 &5 FR. 2 & 4 100K/100Catch up(fins)

Set 2
    Twice
    50 Fly
    100 BK
    100 BR
    100 FR
    about 30 Rest on each
    200 EZ

Kicking Set
    10 x 50 1:30
    500 with Fins

Cool

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 10/4 Practice

by , October 4th, 2010 at 10:46 AM (Random Nonsense)
    My definition of today's workout is "moderate aerobic" which is probably useless for anything but "fitness". A little too much effort for a recovery/ez aerobic workout and too little effort to be hard aerobic.

Warm up
    - 500 free
    Transition
    - 6x50 drill/swim (finger tip, catch up, 1 arm, fist, russian corkscrew)
    Race
    - 2x50 relay (my team lost by about a stroke, so it was a good match of relay participants, I led off)
    Main Set
    - 200 kick with fins
    - 6x150 on 2:00
    - 6x50 on :45 kick even dolphin (w/fins)
    - 8x50 on :40
    Cool down
    - 400 ez
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Flyin thru

by , October 4th, 2010 at 07:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Found an old fly workout in my swim bag so I decided to do it.

10x100@1:40 Free
    10x50@1:00 Fly w/fins
    10x50@1:00 Fly kick on back w/fins
    10x50@1:00 Fly w/fins
    10x50@1:00 Fly kick on back w/fins
    5x100@1:40 Free easy

Totasl 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 10/3 USAS Meet - 50 & 200 free

by , October 3rd, 2010 at 04:43 PM (Random Nonsense)
    50 Free: 24.15
    200 Free: 1:59 high

After yesterday's 100 free, I am a little disappointed in today's swims. I expected to break 24 in the 50, and probably go 1:58 in the 200.

Warm up
    - 200 free
    - 200 kick on back no fins
    - 200 back
    -- got kicked out by a safety parent. No big deal he didn't think anyone was supposed to be in those lanes after warm up was officially over. 10 minutes later kids were back in those lanes once the meet started.

I didn't get back in right before my 50, and that might have been a big mistake.

My 50 was no breath. Talked to an previous coach who watched my 50 and she said that I got off the blocks well (that is an improvement for me), was racing well to the wall and then she makes a dramatic flip turn motion. I didn't swim through my turn and this is something I have been working on and will need to continue to work on. Something to remember before my next 50 off the blocks in practice.

The 50s were running rapid fire and this pool only has a single row scoreboard setup, so I didn't know what my time was until the end of the meet (good thing).

Cooled down about 400 yards.

The only events between the 50 and the 200 were the 200 breast and the 100 fly. There were a billion heats of each, plus 14 heats of girls 200 free. Right at 2 hours between events.

Yesterday there was a high school meet, so the little nook I found yesterday now has 9 people in it. It was packed compared to yesterday. Luckily is was 70s and crystal clear outside, so I sat out there for an hour. Still a long boring time, but I deal with boredom well.

I do wonder if it is worth it to swim USAS meets.

Warm up for the 200
    - 200 no breath off the walls
    - 200 ez back
    -- I just really wanted to loosen up and save my energy for the race, might not have been optimal but not sure how to test alternative 200 warm ups. I wasn't cold, sore or stiff when I got into the water to warm up.

When I got out and dried off, the lane assignments for the boys 200 free were posted, which was much earlier than the rest of the meet for lane assignments. I looked under 1:58, couldn't find my name, 1:59, 1:57, 1:56. F! I decided I needed to go through every name on the list before I talked to the clerk of course, and there I was #3 (of 83). They didn't take my time from Nationals, so I was entered with an NT. I am sure that there is probably some rule that meet times have to be from the LMSC or something like that, and I had a valid A time to allow me to enter the meet, but the time wasn't valid for seeding.

Score! I should have swam 6-8 heats later.

Bad news, no one to race because I was in a heat with another NT and the bottom ranked 13yo

The girls 200 frees had started and I didn't know where they were, so I headed down. They were on heat 4, of 14. I should have warmed up later. Found a spot to camp out of the way. I headed down thinking there were 11 heats of girls (there were 11 guys heats) which was uncomfortable when girls kept showing up and I thought I was up. Tried to think about my race without being nervous which worked ok.

I demolished the 13yo and the other NT entry demolished me. On the opening 25, the other NT was about a half body length ahead but I decided to swim my own race. He probably finished 1:55 or so beating me by quite a bit and my race would have been very painful starting around the 125 if I decided to chase him.

Finished 1:59 something (high I think). With only 3 of us in the heat and so much time between us, getting the time off the scoreboard was cake. If only could remember details after a 200.

Talking to Coach Shannon (previous coach), she got 27.6, 30.6, 30.7, 30.3 iirc. That would be 1:59 low-mid, so it is probably pretty close. Looks like I went out a little too fast, and would like to be 28 low and 29 highs today. Shannon said "1:49 is pretty good" and the head coach Mike looked at her and I must have given her a quite entertaining look because she smiled "1:59... so I was off by 10 seconds in my adding".

Overall, not too bad, but yesterday was better. LW said that I am just a better 100 swimmer than a 50 swimmer and she is right, but it just seems like the 100 drop was large and the 50 drop minuscule.

I will post my actual 200 splits when I get them.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Scrambled Eggs

by , October 2nd, 2010 at 08:44 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    This morning I decided to join the guys from Openwaterchicago.com at North Avenue beach for a dip in the lake.

This is the sight that greeted me!

The bright orange thing is the ladder we normally use to climb up out of the lake

There were 4 of us there, including one real, honest to goodness Channel swimmer whose name I can't remember. The Channel swimmer, claiming to be hung-over, took a flying leap into the lake and started swimming. Shamefaced, the remaining 3 of us jumped in.

The water was quite nice, really. About 60 degrees, which was quite a bit warmer than the air temperature.

Not all the waves were this big:

I bobbed around and swam a little bit. The exit worried me, but turned out to be pretty easy. Just ride a little wave in, grab the ladder and cling!!!!

Here's some video of the others having fun after I'd made my escape.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XEd1dnbiWg"]YouTube - VID00182[/nomedia]

All in all, a fun morning.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Saturday, Oct. 2

by , October 2nd, 2010 at 07:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Car, 3.0 hours
    Cross Country Invitational, 45 minutes
    Soccer game, 1.0
    Emergency Shoe Shopping for Homecoming, 1.0
    Cleaning like a fiend to make house presentable for homecoming pictures, 3.0
    Swim, 30 minutes slow swim
    Steam, 10 minutes
    Homecoming Prep & Pics, 1.5
    (Mini and Fort Son w/date below)
    Driving to Chipolte for takeout now ...

I was not exactly athletic today. I was shocked I even made it to the gym ...

I'm going with Q's explanation of RA's explanation for my slow swim:

"Re my easy swims: this was a result of some testing done in a flume last Dec. conducted by the director of the Exercise and Human Performance Laboratory at the University of Colorado Hospital. I’ve been known to espouse the dictum re masters swimming too fast when they swim slow and too slow when they swim fast….Well, let me tell you that perceived effort can be misleading. During my warm-up swim for the test (4 minutes easy) my HR was 138 and my blood lactate was 2.95. I thought I was going easy, but I wasn’t. I should have been around 125 for HR and under 2.0 for lactate. Also, the tests showed that my lactate clearance times were not fast enough to enable effective intense training sessions. I had to improve my lower level capacity to build to lactate transporter enzymes. This in itself would not improve my racing, but it would enable my training at higher intensities, which would translate to better anaerobic endurance. My “prescription” was to swim at a Z2 level (for me HR of 120-128) 1 or 2 times a week. To quote my report “it is important to be patient at that intensity until lactate oxidation improves.”

I am pretty sure my lactate clearance is even worse than RA's ... Perhaps one day I'll get tested.

My team practices were cancelled this weekend, which stinks because that's where I usually get my hard aerobic practice. Not sure if I'm going to be jazzed up enough to do that on my own tomorrow. If so, it will likely be a kick mountain. Any other suggestions? I"m thinking about LT sets for next week. I think Gary Hall Sr. kick workout may fit the bill.

Now, I can wait up for my 2 children to get home from Homecoming. At least I get to sleep in!

Updated October 2nd, 2010 at 09:17 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020858.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	6517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020881.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	6518  
  13. Good day Back in the water

by , October 2nd, 2010 at 05:48 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Friday felt GREAT.
    I let the medicine i'm on wear off and didn't
    take any in the morning.

Coached the Sharks.

I was a bundle of energy waiting to explode.

I haven't felt like this in a while.

Warm up
    300 S, 200 K, 200 Pull

SWIM 6 X 25 FREE
    Use an interval that will give you no more than 10 sec. rest
    -Establish and maintain a low stroke count

SWIM 3 X 50 FREE
    Maintain the best pace you can at the stroke count you set on the 25's
    - Short rest interval of 10 sec.

SWIM 6 X 25 FREE - Maintain same stroke as above
    - Same interval

SWIM 2 X 75 FREE - Same pace and stroke count as 3 x 50

SWIM 6 X 25 FREE - Same as above

SWIM 1 X 150 FREE- Same stroke count and pace as 2 x 75
    100 EZ

PULL 4 X 150 @ MODERATE INTERVAL, DESCEND 1-4

SWIM 1 X 100 @ VERY FAST INTERVAL
    2 X 75 @ SAME INTERVAL
    3 X 50 @ SAME INTERVAL, DESCEND 1-3

200-300 Warm down

I got to swim this right after I coached.
    I took the day off.

I wish I could do that more often.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Saturday, 10/2/10

by , October 2nd, 2010 at 04:26 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up, may use any equipment
    4 x 250/10sr as:
    50 swim - 50 kick - 50 scull - 50 drill - 50 swim
    (did #1 free-no equip, #2 back-no equip, #3 fly with fins, #4 free with snorkel)

Warm up II
    3 x 100/1:45 Build
    (did free-1:120± for all)
    3 x 50/55 ds
    (did back, 44-42-40)

Main Set
    Repeat 3 Times:
    3 x 150/2:30 build
    3 x 50/1:00 ds to fast
    (Round 1 & 3 free,
    150's were 2:00-2:01-2:00; 203-2:05-2:05
    50's were 37-35-33; 40-37-35
    Round 2 back,
    150's were 2:20-2:22-2:18
    50's were 45-43-40)

Swim with Fins
    6 x 100/1:40 smooth
    (1-3 back-1:30±, 4-6 free-1:20±)

Warm down
    150 easy free & back

Total: 4000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Saturday with the girls is getting bigger

by , October 2nd, 2010 at 04:24 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I just hurt too much today to do anything tough so I just cooled it today.

5x200@3:30 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd lap fast
    5x100@2:00 Fly w/fins as 25 rt arm/25 lt arm/25 kick/25 swim
    500 Free Broken (this is where the girls joined me)
    stroke drills with the girls I ened up under the water looking at strokes and commenting.

total 2500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Friday, 10/1/10

by , October 2nd, 2010 at 02:14 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    200 swim
    3 x 100/2:00 as 25 swim - 25 kick - 25 drill - 25 build
    8 x 25/30 strong alt. back and free by 25's

Kick with Fins
    1 x 500 75 smooth - 25 Fast
    (did 200 on side with snorkel, 200 on back, 100 dolphin w/board)

Stroke set
    10 x 25/30 25 back strong - 25 easy choice of stroke, no free
    (did odds on 30, times were 18-19; evens on 40, did breast and fly)

Swim Set
    3 x 150/20sr 50 swim - 50 drill - 50 swim
    (did back on these)
    3 x 100/20sr free smooth - work on dps, rotation at hips, and turns
    (did free, @1:19-20)
    4 x 50/20sr choice ds - stay focused on dps
    (did back @ 40-41)

Warm down
    100 easy

Total: 2500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 10/2 USAS Meet - 100 free

by , October 2nd, 2010 at 01:23 PM (Random Nonsense)
    Oak Point Swim Center only has one set of blocks, which means there are at least 8 lanes for warmup/cool down. Knowing this from last year, I skipped warm up and showed up 15 minutes after the meet started, waited another 15 minutes before getting in to warm up, warmed up, then had another 15 minutes before my heat, swam, cooled down, got my splits and left. It was pretty near ideal for a one event swim.

Warm up
    - 200 free
    - 200 back
    - 200 kick on back no fins
    - 2x50 moderate focusing on good walls
    - 2x50 ez

Warm down
    - 500 ez done as
    -- 250 ez back with open turns
    -- 150 ez free with open turns
    -- 100 ez back

Today 100 free: 53.06
    - splits(?): 25.73, 27.33
    - diff: 1.60

Nationals 100 free shaved with legskins: 53.30 (missed a turn so bad had to scull back)

First USAS meet last year: 54.04

Last USAS meet last year (unshaved): 53.43

That is a pretty good time for me and I am happy with the swim.

Race Analysis: The race felt rough overall, not as in difficult but rusty, not smooth. In-season races are probably supposed to be like this. Other than not being smooth, there were no obvious flaws. The starter held us a long time on the start, probably twice as long as what is normal at a local USAS meet. The flip turns were all decent, I was never short of breath and never felt the need to breath off the walls. The end of the race pain didn't hit until I was inside the flags on the finish which has to be pretty close to ideal.

I will pay more attention to the starter tomorrow and try to figure out if it was just my heat, or that is her normal timing. I think it was just my heat.

Do I need a race breathing plan for the 100? Currently I am taking my first breath around the 15yd mark off the start and the 3 stroke off of each turn. After that first breath, I breath every other. The next step would either to breath every 4th or make the first breath the 5th stroke off the walls.

Funny: As I was walking from the blocks to the cool down lanes after my race, a kid stopped me and shook my hand "Good race". He wasn't even 5ft tall, so I really hope he wasn't in my heat and beat me

(?) I could swear my split line said 27.33 53.06 on the results, which makes no sense but of course when I wrote it down I wasn't trying to do math. I looked at how they displayed the splits last year and they were true splits, not running total. Tomorrow I will pay more attention.

50 and 200 free tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Fallow fall

This season I’ve been less excited about my pool swimming than usual. I had hoped that some late-appearing meets on the calendar would spark some excitement, but that hasn’t happened. So after some reflection this week I’ve decided to just focus on my open-water swimming this fall, and put my pool swimming on a back burner for a while. I’ll still go to workouts 3 or 4 times a week, but I don’t have any big focus meets that I’m shaping my practices towards prepping towards. I’m hoping that this maintenance mode will keep me in decent shape, and let me pick up my pool-focused habits again during December.

Until then, I won’t be posting my daily workouts. I’m planning to blog periodically, when I have some actual news or opinions, or interesting OW critter sightings, to report. Or small craft advisories, which is what today’s blog is about

This week’s hard-won wisdom: Fringe and zippers do not mix.

A bit of history: A few years ago, I won a Speedo swim backpack for being one of the top fundraisers for Team New York Aquatic’s One-Hour Swim, which is run in conjunction with the USMS postal swim. I was very happy with my new backpack—it was spacious and had lots of pockets, and it was free. The only drawback was that half a dozen other teammates had won identical black backpacks. In order to avoid confusing them at practices and meets, I decided that I would personalize mine with pink and orange tassels and a blingy monogram. Here’s how it turned out:

It definitely stood among all the black swim backpacks out there. But there was one little problem. The tassels kept catching in the zipper, creating a Hansel-and-Gretel trail of pink threads that followed me wherever I went. This allowed relay mates to find me easily at meets, but that was the only upside. Otherwise, it was pretty annoying.

Recently I dug out this bag (I use a smaller one as my regular practice backpack) to have as a dedicated open-water swimming bag. It’s big enough to store all my warm après-swim clothes, and distinctive enough that no one will be tempted to take it from the beach while I’m in the water. But the tassels are driving me nuts. I’ve gotten out my seam ripper and plan to remove them tonight. (Seam rippers are probably my favorite sewing-kit tool, probably because they’re they only one I feel competent using).

But what should I replace them with? I’m keeping the crystal monogram, but that still leaves a lot of bag to decorate. Any ideas? I’m definitely open to suggestions.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Friday, Oct. 1

by , October 1st, 2010 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 25
    windshield wipers, 25
    flutter kicks on back on bosu, 50
    streamline hold on back on bosu, 1:00
    one footed push ups on bar, 25
    ab crunches w/25 lb plate held overhead, 25
    (pop shoulders off ground on these)
    power wheel roll outs, 25

Hammer Strength Iso lateral Hi Row, 140 x 1 x 8, 150 x 1 x 8, 160 x 1 x 8, 170 x 1 x 8, 180 x 1 x 8, 190 x 1 x 6, 200 x 1 x 3*

*My recollection is that this is a PR for me. I haven't used this machine in ages, but I used it frequently when I began my real strength training phase in 2008. I like it, so I plan to do it more frequently. Not really sure how I pulled that much weight as I started the day still gassed from the LT set and events of the night.

reverse scoop, 30 x 2 x 10
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
    lunges w/25 lb DBs, 2 x 15
    standing broad jump, 10
    twisting med ball slams, 15
    extreme angle isometric squat hold, 5:00
    (Finally got to 5 minutes, now I am supposed to add weight.)
    extreme angle isometric push up hold, 1:45

RC Work

Yoga:

30 minutes of yoga and stretching

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I originally planned to do a slow swim today after the yoga. But I didn't feel like getting in a pool and took my time doing the drylands instead. So that's on the schedule for tomorrow.

October may be somewhat trying as Mr. Fort is going to be AWOL on a trial almost the whole time. And last night, after getting home from Mini's volleyball game, I got a call as I was putting Lil Fort to bed that Mini's coach was taking her to the ER for a possible neck injury. Apparently, in school sports, this is now SOP whenever there's an injury to the head or neck. I saw her diving for the ball during the game, but didn't realize that she was hurt. And she didn't tell her coach she was; her coach calls her his "most intense competitor." Thankfully, the scans were negative. After getting her home and getting her drugs, I didn't get to bed until quite late. Jimslie would be just appalled at what extensive users of the health care system we are these days.

Soccer, a cross country invitational and Homecoming are tomorrow. And my house is the base for Homecoming pictures. Never a dull moment.

Updated October 1st, 2010 at 11:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  20. DOUBLE Fri Oct 1st, 2010

by , October 1st, 2010 at 03:27 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE Fri Oct 1st, 2010

WEIGHED 205 after practice

I'm going to boston tomorrow & won't train till Wed 10/06

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

First day back in the swim center!

SCY
    Tyler Coached
    noon to 1:15
    UT Swim Center
    swam with Jim
    beside james fike &
    dove in around 12:10