View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Normal practice even before a meet

by , September 10th, 2010 at 08:08 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    500 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50rt arm/50lt arm/50 kick/50 swim
    2x400@7:00 Free w/paddles & bouy went 6:00 and 5:52
    200 Free easy

Total 3000 meters

Seemed to get faster the more I did.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Thursday w/Speedo, Sept. 9

by , September 9th, 2010 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I hauled my unrefreshed, allergy addled, geriatric feeling (Jimslie) body to the pool for a lunchtime swim with Speedo. We did the following:

Swim/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

800 various

8 x 25 shooters w/fins

Kick Set:

Pete and I did a portion of a kick workout we did frequently last year. I thought it was 5 x 200 kick, but it was 6. I took a nature break and did an easy 100 during #6, as I wasn't expecting it. My times were faster than I expected.

5 x 200 backstroke kick, no fins @ 3:30

I cruised #1, and immediately cramped. (I fear my allergy meds are causing dehydration.)

Then I went: 2:56, 2:53, 2:52, 2:51.

I looked back at a couple of my previous sets. I usually cruise #1-2 and then go.

On 2/4, I went 2:56, 2:53, 2:56, 2:51
    On 12/28, I went 2:59, 2:56, 2:55, 2:53

So today's set was a slight improvement over last time. I didn't kill the SDKs. I took 8+ on the first 25 and then 6 (usually) thereafter.

100 EZ

20 x 50 Petra Paddle Drill Set @ :45

Extra :15 between sets of 5 to switch paddles
    I left my fins on to float my shoulders, which are still sore, but didn't kick much.

1-5 w/strokemaker paddles (I don't use Pete's he man version)
    6-10 reverse paddle drill
    11-20 swim (I joined Pete in ditching the paddles)

The last 5 I tried to pick up the pace and went high 30s, breathing every stroke.

200 EZ

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

It was great to swim with Pete again today and we mulled over a number of topics such as:

1. If fins increase your leg strength and endurance, do paddles increase you shoulder strength and endurance? And is that why Petra (Mason sprint coach) is obsessed with them?

2. What nickname is Geek going to come up with to ride Pete about Gaga?

3. Why do Mrs. Speedo and I so get irked when our children or spouses eat something before dinner or fail to eat the delicious food we make them?

4. How much dryland work is sufficient? Pete is considering cutting back to 2x per week. I am thinking my sessions are too long and that I can't recover quickly enough. I perused my last 80 minute session and see that I started off with 3 x 75 med ball slams and 75 push ups before I even hit the weight room ...

5. Life would be infinitely improved if we could have a daily massage.

6. Pete needs to keep taking his 100 back out fast to keep putting up stellar times. I need to do this as well (I did it, finally, in Atlanta) and not die the last 15 yards.

7. Pete and I agreed that "that perfect blend of caring and not caring" (from Andre Agassi's autobiography) produces the best meet prep and results.

8. Petra really likes to train her sprinters with hypoxic freestyle. Pete likes oxygen. And, despite my love of underwater dolphin work, I insist on breathing every stroke in freestyle, except during a race or timed swim. I just don't buy those 3-5-7 breathing sets, so refuse to do them.

Tomorrow, I am going to haul myself out to Mason to swim in a cool pool and do some aerobic set. Trying to decide whether to swim in regular suit, B70 or wetsuit. I saw a couple tris using full sleeve wetsuits today at Oak Marr. No idea how they do that when the pool is 84 degrees ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  3. Thursday, 9/9/10

by , September 9th, 2010 at 02:45 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    1 x 400 Swim free
    1 x 200 build by 50's Odds - kick, Evens - swim
    4 x 100/2:00 50 dps - 50 swim strong effort
    (was going 15-16 spl and swimming these around 1:20-22)

Main Set
    2 x 150 Free/3:30 50 kick - 50 drill - 50 build
    (2:45 on both)
    1 x 200 Free/4:00 smooth build
    (2:45)
    4 x 50/1:00 ds
    (went 39-37-36-33)

2 x 150 Back/3:45 50 kick - 50 drill - 50 build
    (2:50, 2:45)
    1 x 200 Back/4:00 smooth build
    (2:57)
    4 x 50 Back/1:05 ds
    (went 45-43-42-39)

Warm down
    200 easy

Total: 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wednesday, 9/8/10

by , September 9th, 2010 at 02:39 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

20-30 sr after each distance
    800 NS continuous freestyle swim (went 11:50)
    700 NS continuous free pulling (went 10:10)
    600 NS continuous Flutter kick w/fins (went 9:30)
    500 NS continuous Free build by 100's (went 7:15)
    400 NS continuous Free 50 drill - 50 swim (drill was DPS (16 spl) went 6:10)
    300 NS continuous Free ds by 100's to fast (went 4:15)
    200 NS continuous Free Strong Swim (went 2:45)
    100 NS continuous Free Smooth (went 1:30)

Total: 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tuesday, 9/7/10

by , September 9th, 2010 at 02:34 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I have been lax about posting. So its time to catch up.

No workout on Monday since the pool was closed for the holiday.

SCY, Solo

Warm up (all Freestyle)
    400 swim
    (around 6:10 on this. Started real slow and gradually increased.)
    200 kick
    (kicked half w/ board and half on my back)
    6 x 100/1:50 build
    (kept these around 1:20-22)
    3 x 50/1:00 ds
    (40-38-36)
    8 x 25/30 strong
    (around 17-18)

Kick: (800)
    400 kick - no fins
    (about 8:15)
    4 x 100/2:00 kick w/fins
    (kicked on back - was 1:18-1:20 on these)
    1:00 rest

4 x 75/1:45 scull - drill - swim

Cool down
    (350 y of easy swimming)

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Thu Sep 9th 2010

by , September 9th, 2010 at 02:30 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Sep 9th 2010

It's official!
    Swim Faster Faster has had more than 200,000 views
    THANK YOU
    hope it helps you swim faster faster

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Subscribe to Longhorn Aquatics Email lists

It's flooding down in Texas
    USGS Info
    I live on the San marcos river which is in the Guadalupe River Basin, the blanco river feeds into it
    Austin is the Colorado River Basin. The hardest rains hit way south and west of where I live but we got over 8 inches.

weigh around 200

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:30 TO 7:30 am
    Austin Mabel Davis pool
    swam with marcio todd lovato doug ritchie
    dove in on around 6:15ish
    wore brief

WARM UP
    300 easy

MAIN SET

5 x 200 fr on 2:50
    made em

100 easy

4 x 200 fr on 2:45
    made em

100 easy

3 x 200 fr on 2:40
    made em

100 easy

2 x 200 fr on 2:35
    made em

100 easy

200 fr strong
    went 2:20
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/10/10

by , September 9th, 2010 at 01:32 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 75 1:15 1:05
    4 X 50 :50 :45
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.
    Descend 50's on both rounds.

5 X 200 pull
    2 on 3:00
    3 on 2:40

1 X 200 kick 4:15 4:00
    4 X 50 kick 1:00 :55
    Two times. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 100 moderate 2:00
    1 X 75 fast 1:10
    1 X 100 moderate 2:00
    1 X 50 fast :50
    Four times through. All choice.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5100Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. 2 x 5K, Back Spasms, Toe Timer Unwisely Ignored

by , September 9th, 2010 at 11:54 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Preliminary ex post facto note: when I began this vlog yesterday, I had no idea how long it would quickly grow. I have decided to embrace this length and convert what others might perceive as longwindedness into the first ever novella-lengthed swimming-related vlog. Please do not be intimidated. Those who read this entire thing can legitimately lay claim to being part of literary history.

Since the early morning of Sunday, Sept. 5, 2010, my friend, teammate, and doubles partner Bill White and I have been undefeated in any sport by land or sea.

It may remain this way for the foreseeable future, not because we are unbeatable, but because I am currently unplayable.

My lower back muscles are as hard and spasmotically cramped as Dupont's new Zodiaq® quartz surface.

Here is a picture of the human spine:

Unfortunately, doctors seem to have trouble imaging my spine, possibly because of the intense muscularity of my body:

In today's vlog, I shall present a brief photo essay on how my back happened to come to its current state of punitive crankiness, followed by a request (as always) for the physicians among my readership to offer their best free advice for a speedy recovery.

Chapter 1. Out of the Ruins

The day before our massive, uninterrupted winning streak began, that is to say, on Saturday, September 4th, Bill and I played doubles against our long time rivals, Mark and John. Let me not be accused of mincing words here: we played pathetically.

We lost, I am pretty sure, three sets in a row, then managed to climb our way up to a 8-8 tie in the fourth set, which we decided to settle via a tie breaker, which we then lost.

The problem with losing four sets in a row is that no match of any callibration can be added to the "win column" of our ledger.

The scoring system that has evolved in our tennis matches is this:

Winner of the very first point of the day:
    Indicator Point Victory. (This may not seem like much, but there have been many a time when this was our only bragging rights whatsover.)

Winner of the first set of the day:
    Jr. Miss Championship.(a very small but developing change appears inside the tennis shorts of the winners)

Winner of the best of three sets: Women's Championships. (the change accelerates into something full-fledged, albeit in a pre-pregnancy and baby-delivery condition)

Winner of the best of five sets: Men's Championships. (clitoris takes on a manly stature; can be painful, I will concede, undergoing this change, especially when the full wound closes completely.)

Winner of the best of seven sets: Super Men's Championships (the new unit becomes undeniably, even frighteningly, robust --PLUS every cell within the victors develops an extra Y chromosome, common among men incarcerated in certain maximum security Scottish prisons.)

Somehow, I don't think females keep score in quite such terms. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is a male thing to start out with a tiny vagina and slowly but surely, through hard work and struggle and indefatigability, earn a penis. Again, I could very well be wrong, and I am definitely interested in hearing what any of my legion of female readers have to say about the effect of victory on their nether regions.

So, digression over now, Bill and I found ourselves devoid of victory at any level of the hierarchy on Saturday. We, of course, both blamed each other for losing.

I played just as poorly as I always do; Bill, who is usually so magnificent as to defy description, was just a wee bit less so. Hence, I still maintain it was his fault we lost.

It doesn't matter. We were determined to turn things around.

As we limped off the court around noon Saturday, my toe was throbbing (more on this soon). I should have listened to it. I didn't.

Chapter 2: Distance Swimming in Sweater Weather

At 6 a.m. on Sunday morning, it was 47 degrees in Pittsburgh.

7:30 a.m. in Monroeville, Jim models his yellow Tyre Po'Boy Swim Parka (or towel as some know it), which he believes goes extremely well with his residual Bell's Palsy facial paralysis. This smiling rictus masks his determination to never lose anything again.

Bill gets in the pool and readies himself to swim his portion of the 2 x 5K, an event where two people swim 100 LCMs relay style till each has swum 50 of them, for a total of 5,000 + 5,000 meters, or 10,000 meters. Note that Bill is concealing the top of his suit for fear that FINA observers will try to DQ our team.

Our chief obstacle to victory in the 2 x 5K race is the tag team of Carl Goldman, a magnificent Pittsburgh area distance swimmer, and Peggy Gross, a former Olympic Trial-ian he has recruited as a ringer.

This is Carl on the bottom and Peggy in the 4 o'clock position in the flowered swim suit.

In an effort to level the playing field, vis a vis suit coverage, Bill puts on a top to compress his moobs.

(The effort to bring about parity in mens and women's swimming is taking place in many ways out here in the grass roots hinterlands. As regular readers will recall, I have an ongoing project dedicated to finding precisely the right kind of paste with which to seal pasties to the Jim Thornton Jammers 'n Pasties Swim Suits for Wet Chicks (TM) project. This has, in fact, inspired readers across this great land of ours, where equal opportunity is a birthright, to take these matters into their own hands, often creating highly ingenious solutions. Here, for instance, is our friend, Mr. Bzaks1424's ecoconscious propotype for recycling swimming medals into pasties:

You'd smile too if your nipples were covered in gold!

Unwilling to belabor things here, let me simply make short shrift of the 2 x 5K race pictorially:

Jim patiently awaits Bill's return during one of the many, many 100s we swam that day, in the process, lapping a fine local yeoman and an ex-Trial-ian ringer, who promised--but later renegged on this promise--that we could "deflower" her if we won. (She claimed what she had said is that she would give us her flowery swim suit to wear if we won. As if!) Given how fast Bill was swimming, Jim barely got an average of 1:21.48 to rest before he needed to swim his own 1:21.48 leg.

Jim glances at the clock for the finishing time: 2 hours, 15 minutes, and 48 seconds. This averages out to 1:21.48 seconds for each of our 100 x 100 LCM swims.

Carl et ringer finished minutes later.

RESULT:
    Your time of 1:21.48 in long course meters
    converts to 1:10.32 in short course yards

Converted to 100 SCY swims, which we will be swimming soon enough, it looks like Bill and I were going at an average pace of 1:10.32. Bill claims, but is probably just being generous, that I swam much faster than he did. I think he most likely swam faster than I did. We are as generous to one another in victory as we are cattily vicious in defeat. Perhaps it has something to do with the changes in the nether regions?

Bill and Jim do their signature pregnancy bump following yet another victory in their storied career of winning many times and losing many more times. This photo, posted on Facebook by Pittsburgh area phenom Marla Sanchez, precipitated the following amusing exchange of comments:

In this photo: James Scott Thornton (photos | remove tag), Bill White (photos)

James Scott Thornton Thank god that black is slimming!

Bill White That is not where I want slimming though....

James Scott Thornton my doctor told me i HAD to slim down, down there, or I could actually injure women.

Bill White apparently you are a fantastic patient!

James Scott Thornton He gave me one of those carrot/cucumber peeling devices, and I have been steadily sheering off 1/8th " in diameter every night now for months. I am happy to announce that my unit is now no thicker than an enraged hog-nosed snake aroused from slumber on a sunny day. Soon, it will be safe to have sex again with women other than the Octomom.
    a few seconds ago

Gad Zooks!

I have just been informed by the software manufacturer that I can only include 10 images per blog entry.

My quest to write the first Novella-lengthed vlog in history is being thwarted!

We will have to pick up tomorrow in the middle of Chapter 2.

Sorry, dear readers, for this unconscionable interruption of the spell under which I cast you.

Hackneyed as it may be, I have no choice but to employ the cliff-hanger gambit:

• Will Jim deflower the ex-Trialian, and, if so, will his slenderized manhood imperil her health and/or comfort level?
    • Will he and Bill win in a land sport soon?
    • Will the novella ever end, or just go on and on and on as so many fervently pray?
    • And what about this toe timer he referenced?
    • Will we ever find out what that is all about?

And so we must bid temporary adieu to the bloated athletes, Bill and Jim.

Adieu but not so long suckers!

We'll be back.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Was going to sleep in but not to be

by , September 9th, 2010 at 07:25 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Last night's golive went well so I managed to get home at a decent time. Enough to say I would just sleep in an extra 15 minutes then go to practice. So I just did an abreviated workout this morning with some sprints.

I actually have a kids meet the next 2 weekends.

5x200@3:30 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    8x50 from dive alternate fly/free for first 15meters then free for rest good breakouts
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy descend went 1:25, 1:24, 1:22, 1:18, 1:13
    100 Free easy

Total 2500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sept 8th 2010

by , September 9th, 2010 at 12:23 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Aquasol 5:30 - 7:12 PM
    Coach Janine

Warm 2x100, 50K
    6x200 Swim/Pull on 3:00
    (break)
    10x50 Dolphin kicks on side on 1:00 fins
    6x50 BR Pull on 1:30
    10x50 Pace 1:00 did one :32, avg :34
    10x50 3 in - 3 out n/b from the middle - on rest do bobs
    100cool

3300SCY

The workouts continue, and the next meet is “PENGUIN PLUNGE” HIGH POINT SWIM MEET
    BB + / - SWIM MEET...Ive been doing more 200IM sets, and 75 FR sets. Ive entered the 200IM, 100BK and 100FR, no wimpy 100IM or 50 Fly at USA, unless your 10! But I like the 100IM, and although I'm not the fastest, but not quite the slowest, I miss the little sprints at Masters meets. Training for 200IM is different and unforgiving.
    I recently became (self) aware of a sweet spot in swimming, that place where the connection with the water is just right and doesn't take much effort to go fast, but its just as easy to lose...
    Seems that those who are regularly faster in their workouts must have achieved their feel for the water long ago.
    I felt it only once tonight during Pace, I think it was on my 6th 50, It was like I didn't feel the water rush by, and I wasn't slugging it out, more like a dance, where there was a cooperation with the water, but I didn't really add to it to go faster, I just experienced it. (no I will not say zen).
    To those who are reading this, I have only been swimming regularly for about 3 years and I will be 49 this month, so I'm in the mediocre class. Faster than some, slower than most
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Wed., Sept. 8

by , September 8th, 2010 at 10:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Yoga, 60 minutes:

No time today for anything but some yoga at home. I plugged in my Rodney Yee power yoga DVD after dinner. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZ2WHodLqQ"]YouTube- Power Yoga Total Body Workout[/nomedia]. Hated the music (z-z-z-z-z); I'm just not the meditative type. I prefer the cornball Tony Horton for yoga. Or Lady Gaga even! But I was pretty sore in my upper body from yesterday's killer drylands (pecs, delts, traps especially), so I felt better afterward or at least more flexy.

MAC Dryland Workout Youtube Clip:

I watched the MAC dryland workout for the senior team. http://www.floswimming.org/videos/co...-group-workout. It was:

4 rounds of:

front squat, 8x
    squat jump, 8x
    TRX body row, 8x

4 rounds of:

pull ups, 8x max
    med ball slam downs, 8x
    stability ball push ups, 8x

sled push for time -- this look pretty cool. Wish my gym had a sled to push.

In the sprint swim portion, they started the workout with a "cold turkey" 50 swim for time ala Jazz Hands. Nice for kids maybe, not so nice for masters methinks.

Indy Meet:

Still thinking of attending the Indy SCM meet over Halloween weekend. (Lil Fort seems to dislike this holiday and has a costume phobia anyway.) I have gotten spousal approval. I just need to decide whether to drive with Jimslie or fly. The drive might make the swim worthless, as I would be too tuckered out. The order of events isn't too bad, although Saturday is a little dicey with 3 50s that day and the 50 back and 100 fly back to back. I would likely opt to swim the 100 fly, although I barely believe I just had that thought.

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1138&smid=2595

Articles:

1. More food for thought on the "less is more"/"more is more" debate: WSJ article on chronic overtraining in endurance athletes. It also notes that many endurance athletes suffer from high levels of performance stress caused by trying to win their masters categories or always PR. I guess it's healthy that I'm not even remotely bothered by my recent personal worsts.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...e+overtraining

2. An article in the NYT confirming the prevailing thought that static stretching prior to exercise provides no benefit: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ries/?emc=eta1

Speaking of running, has anyone tried these crazy 5 finger running gloves?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/index.cfm

3. And an article confirming that Soni swims a fast breaststroke b/c she is mimicing fly, the king of all strokes. I felt like I could somewhat swim this way with the super suits, but not without.

http://www.swimnetwork.com/News/Swim...aststroke.aspx

Allergies, etc.:

I'm still struggling with some sleep/hormone/allergy/GI issues. Despite my doctor phobia, I'm going to see a specialist in hormone issues if I can get in off the darn wait list. I'm also getting tested for food allergies next Tuesday. Very few adults really have food allergies I realize (in fact, Jimslie seems to think they're a myth or a product of evolution gone bad). I also know there are many false positives in this testing, so I have some qualms about it. But I feel I need to rule it out, or possibly identify other intolerances. Tests confirm that I am allergic to practically everything else, so why not certain foods? (I did have a bite of lobster ravioli the other night and had an immediate reaction. Jimslie seems to think this could be self induced. I don't know how I could cause myself to have a neck rash though ...)

Hoping to swim with Speedo tomorrow at lunchtime. What set(s) should we do?

Updated September 8th, 2010 at 10:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  12. Tuesday Sept 7

by , September 8th, 2010 at 08:41 PM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Today's practice:

3x200 S-P--mix str swim

Vert kicking

3x50 free drills

main set:
    2x50 Free drill
    1x200 Free swim
    (repeat 4x)

200 kick w/zoomers

2x300 IM by 75 cont (12.5 L, 12.5 R, 25 kick, 25 swim

4x25IM order breakouts/swim

100 LD

Total = 2800yds
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 9/8/10 Back to Short Course

by , September 8th, 2010 at 04:49 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I don't post much over the summer, as I'm too bsuy enjoying the weather and taking a mental break.
    I had some good times at LC zones with a few surprise drops leaving me new goals. I am close breaking :30 on the LC 50 FR, so I'll be looking for that next season..but I can train to improve my SCY time for now.
    I did LC 50 FL in :34.95...no big whoop for many swimmers but a heck of a drop for me...from somewhere in the low 37/hi 36 range. I am happy.
    Open water I did a half mile swim this past weekend and got 3rd behind some very talented swimmers, and no there was not only 3 of us swimming. I eyed up my closest rival who beat me in the 1. 5mile and got home ahead of him. I also had swam 3 miles earlier in the day so I feel I had a good swim in the half mile--probably one of my best from my POV.

Anyhow got back to SCY today:
    Warm Up
    600 FR

Pre Main

200 P w/Paddles
    200 K on back
    200 EZ

Main
    10 x 100 1:30 I held them all...just about. I had my drag suit on and I had to work.
    200 EZ
    10 x 50 1:00 desc x 4 5-EZ I couldn't get much under :40
    200 EZ

Post Main

4 x 100 2:00 Max SDK from walls EZ swim. I have an eye on doing the 100 Fly again.. I want to see if I am better at it now...lol

Cool
    Down
    10 x 50 1:00 EZ
    Also lifted weights today and went througha 2 set 75-80% weight routine. It's been a few weeks and I don't want to get all sore and hobbly.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/09/10

by , September 8th, 2010 at 01:47 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 100 1:45
    1 X 150 2:30
    1 X 200 3:00
    1 X 250 3:45
    1 X 150 2:15
    1 X 100 fast

10 X 100 free
    5 on 1:30
    5 on 1:20

1 X 200 kick 4:15
    2 X 100 kick 2:00
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

1 X 300 IM 5:15
    4 X 50 1 of each 1:00
    1 X 200 IM 3:30
    1 X 100 IM 1:45

12 X 50 1:05
    Choice.
    odd: easy
    even: fast

4950Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/09/10

by , September 8th, 2010 at 01:44 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 100 1:45
    1 X 150 2:30
    1 X 250 3:45
    1 X 150 2:15
    1 X 100 fast

10 X 100 free
    5 on 1:30
    5 on 1:20

2 X 100 kick 2:00
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

1 X 300 IM 5:15
    1 X 200 IM 3:30
    1 X 100 IM 1:45

12 X 50 1:05
    Choice.
    odd: easy
    even: fast

4950Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Wed Sep 8th 2010

by , September 8th, 2010 at 12:55 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Sep 8th 2010

It's official!
    Swim Faster Faster has had more than 200,000 views
    THANK YOU
    hope it helps you swim faster faster

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Subscribe to Longhorn Aquatics Email lists

It's flooding down in Texas
    USGS Info
    I live on the San marcos river which is in the Guadalupe River Basin
    Austin is the Colorado River Basin. The hardest rains hit way south and west of where I live but we got around 6 inches.

Did not swim Sat, Sun, Mon or Tue
    need to start getting consistent again

weighing around 200

LCM
    Whitney Coached
    6:30 TO 7:30 am
    Austin Mabel Davis pool
    swam with tenielle sharon todd ned
    dove in on around 6:55ish
    wore brief

WARM UP
    missed it

MAIN SET

3 x 100 fr

300 IM

2 x 100 fr

200 IM

100 fr
    went 1:07

100 IM

10 x 50 on 15 rest
    odds br K
    evens 3 breaths

Updated September 8th, 2010 at 01:08 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Back to school time

Today the NYC schools start back up, and the whole city has that back-to-school feel about it. I love this time of year, when there’s a sense of excitement about wearing sweaters soon and getting back to routines and serious work after the summer break. AGUA masters just started workouts again this week after a 2-week pool shutdown, and Craig announced that we’re spending the next month working on technique and pretty swimming and not worrying about the pace clock, so that was happy making. I very much like the 2 workouts I’ve done so far (yesterday noon and this morning), and am looking forward to seeing what’s in store for the rest of the month.

Here’s this morning’s workout:

500 scy warmup

10 x 100 FR, all with strong kick, increasing armspeed from as slow as possible to relatively fast within each set of 4, all on 3rd-person-in interval [This set was originally 12 100s done as 3 sets of 4, but our lane just did it 2.5 times through. The whole pool did an extra 100 at the beginning, because our coach said we did the first one too fast and needed to start the set over.]

4 x 50 easy choice @ 1:05

10 x 50 FR hypoxic set, breathing 5 times during 50, resting for 4 breaths at wall [I liked this—it was very calming, and one of the few hypoxic sets that I have found doable. The faster lanes had more challenging breath counts, slower lanes easier ones.]

Vertical kicking: 3 x (:30 kick with arms crossed, :30 rest, :20 kick with hands cupped over ears, :20 rest, :10 kick in streamline, :10 rest) [The goal was to keep shoulders out of water, not just head. I did the odd sets FR, evens FL kick. Keeping good posture during a vertical streamline was hard—I need to figure out why and work on this.]

8 x 100 @ 1:30 [I did FR/BK halfsies, but had to get out after 4 to keep an early appt]

A few notes:

· I didn’t blog during my vacation, and haven’t done much serious swimming since Colonies LC zones. One thing worth mentioning is the pool I got to swim in during my stay in Victoria, BC, the Saanich Commonwealth Place. It’s a wonderful facility with 2 50-meter pools, one of which is all deep and kept at good workout temps. It also huge waterslide connected to the 10M diving tower and a wave pool--the whole works. Some elite Canadian swimmers including Ryan Cochrane train at this facility (they had newspaper clippings about his recent PanPacs 1500 win on the wall), and although they weren’t having practices during my visit, a few seemed to be working out on their own during lap swim hours--one woman in a lane next to mine was keeping pace with my freestyle while kicking breaststroke with a board.

· I started my fall open-water swim training this past Sunday with a swim out at Brighton Beach. I’m looking to make the Sunday outings a regular part of the fall, at least until the race out there on November 11.

· The AG pool has an annual shutdown each year to fix things, but there always seem to be more things broken than fixed once we start back. Yesterday the card reader that lets us into the facility didn’t work, the tile deck to the pool was only half-finished (so everyone had to enter and exit the pool via the bulkhead), there was no cold water in the showers, and the suit spinner was broken. Ugh! This morning the card reader worked, and after some pleading we did get backstroke flags for our workout, so at least things are getting better.

· On the other hand, my regular gym after a mere 4-day shutdown has replaced nearly everything in its 2 weight rooms. We now have 17.5 pound dumbbells, which I’ve often wished for (the jump from 15 to 20 was pretty steep). But all the new dumbbells and weight plates have some odd rubberized coating on them. You can hold 2 weight plates by the edges and clap them together like cymbals and they hardly make a sound. It’s very strange. The sizes are also a bit different and will take some getting used to.

That’s it. Happy fall to everyone!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Still coughing most of the night

by , September 8th, 2010 at 07:22 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    With very little sleep I am still managing to maintain my normal swim schedule. But tonight I have to work so I may take off tomorrow morning.

10x100@1:45 Free was holding 1:25's
    500 Free kick w/fins aas 25EZ/25mod/25Fast
    5x200@3:00 as 100 free/100 back w/paddles & bouy went 2:57, 2:55, 2:53, 2:51, 2:50
    5x100@1:30 Free w/fins went 1:28, 1:25, 1:23, 1:21,1:18
    400 Free EZ
    200 Free kick EZ w/fins

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Drylands, Tuesday, Sept 7

by , September 7th, 2010 at 07:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Racquet ball court:

3 x through:

1. med ball slams:
    25 overhead tricept pass against wall
    25 twisting slams against wall
    25 slams on floor

2. 1:00 jump rope hops

3. 1:00 80/20 Sieber squats
    30 second each side, then switch
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxCWSv7IyA"]YouTube- P90X 80-20 Sieber Squats for Dancers?[/nomedia]
    (the woman in the P90X video is not getting her ass down far enough though)

4. 25 push ups

Move to gym:

Lochte Triple w/25 lb plate (can't find the 35 lb one; might switch to 45), 2 x 45 (15 bench + 15 bent over row + 15 reverse scoop)
    Straight arm standing lat pull down, 130 x 2 x 10
    russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    windshield wipers, 2 x 15
    plyo jacks, 2 x 15
    standing twist with 25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    goblet squat, 70 x 2 x 10

Tabata squat press with push:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcnqPHcWeI"]YouTube- Faster Swimming dryland routine called Tabata[/nomedia].
    8 rounds of 20 seconds AFAP, 10 seconds rest,
    pure torture, immediate redline

arm circles
    internal and external rotators

May try this:

plyo push up
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAqSnGWHrxU&feature=related"]YouTube- Mark Gangloff USA 100 meter Olympic Swimmer: Plyo Push Up[/nomedia].

Need to watch this, MAC sprint drylands (note that they're using TRX):

http://www.floswimming.org/videos/co...-group-workout

and this one maybe:

http://www.floswimming.org/videos/co...weight-workout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I meant to do yoga today as well, but spent most of the morning dealing with Mr. Fort's car. There is a huge Tahoe in our driveway now because I refused to wait any further for a different rental car. This thing is bigger than my Durango. Mini loves it b/c she is obsessed with trucks. When Fort Son goes off to college, I'm downsizing to some kind of convertible. Any suggestions?

Survived the first day of school and the mad crowded dash for high school school supplies at Staples. I got one "I hate school, but X is very cute," one "I have a sh*tload of work on day one," and one "I had a great day." Easy to identify which kid said what.

Rest of week swim thoughts:

Wed: maybe a ripoff of a gdanner endurance workout
    Thurs: hopefully swim with Speedo. Workout to be determined.
    Friday: GH Sr. kick workout
    Sat & Sun: with team
    Mon.: off
    Tuesday-Friday: minimal drylands and maybe some workout to get me ready for Savageman.

Gary Hall Sr. Kick Workout:

Saw this toy intensive workout on the swim myth #9 busted thread. Looked interesting. Maybe I'll finally get some use out of my dorkel and parachute.

1) Warm up 200 drill, 200 swim, 200 kick
    2) Kick 5 x 100 with Finis snorkel and Finis alignment kickboard, keeping head down, body in proper alignment. Medium rest....all out.
    3) Kick 5 x 45 seconds on the wall with Finis snorkel....all out, followed by 15 seconds rest. Try to maintain 100% intensity for all 45 seconds. Repeat on 1 minute interval.
    4) Easy 100 swim
    5) Kick 5 x 100 with fins and alignment kick board and snorkel ...all out, medium rest.
    6) Kick 5 x 45 seconds in vertical position with fins with arms in PERFECT streamline position above. Head always above the water. Fast tight kicks. No breaststroke kick allowed. Only flutter. 15 seconds rest between (start on 1 minute)
    7) 100 easy swim
    8) Medicine ball throw. Play catch using 10 lb med ball with someone on the deck kicking with fins with hands above head at all times. Try to reach 30 throws or more (record here is 55 throws). Repeat 3 times with 30 seconds rest.
    9) Kick 5 x 100 with fins, alignment kick board, snorkel and drag parachute. All out with 30 seconds rest.
    10) Easy 100 swim

Bill Gates on Kids:

Thumbs up: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...8&id=513625075

Yoga:

I didn't really realize that yoga is a competitive sport, but it is.

http://www.usayoga.org/

Updated September 7th, 2010 at 10:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/08/10

by , September 7th, 2010 at 04:08 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40 1:30
    2 X 200 3:00 3:00
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

4 X 50 kick 1:05
    1 X 100 kick 2:00
    4 X 50 kick 1:00

2 X {4 X 150 2:45
    #1 100 fly/50 free
    #2 100 back/50 free
    #3 100 breast/50 free
    #4 150 free
    Short break between rounds.

5 X 300 4:00 or 4:30
    Descend 1-5