View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Long Course Flyin

by , February 12th, 2010 at 08:20 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yes another long course day and that means fly and lots of it. Scares away potential lane mates!

5x200@3:45 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins easy
    500 Fly w/fins in 8:41
    500 Free kick w/fins easy recovery
    4x50@1:00 Fly w/fins
    300 Free easy

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Well......

by , February 11th, 2010 at 11:36 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    O.k. Now that I've got things lined up to go to Auburn for Saturday, I hear that it may snow 5 or 6 inches and that the snow will not move out until Friday evening. This is the land of few snow plows, so if it does snow, no way am I driving. I'm used to it from where I grew up, but folks down here are not. It is not worth taking a risk.

Insofar as working out, still acting like I'm going:

200 easy

4 x 50 breast on 2:00

100 free drill - staight-arm

4 x 50 fly - 25 rt/25 lt - on 1:15

2 x 75 fly - 3 rt/3 lt/3 full on 2:00

4 x 25 - back/free/back/free

100 easy

1200 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. SLEEPLESS

Tomorrow, 7AM...... begins my 12 hours of SCY joy. Although 99% of those who said they would join me have since come up with better plans, I think I might have some company for a few hours.

I mixed up my MAXIM tonight.... 2 gallons worth. My feeding plan is 5 oz of said mixture (flavored with some welch's frozen fruit concentrate) every 15 minutes + one endurolyte capsule every hour.

I've decided to break the 45,000 yds into the following sets:
    10x100 @ 1:30
    10x200 @ 3:00
    10X300 @ 4:30
    10x400 @ 6:00
    10X500 @ 7:30

15X1000 @ 15:00

10x500 @ 7:30
    10x400 @ 6:00
    10x300 @ 4:30
    10x200 @ 3:00
    10x100 @ 1:30

I'll break for 15 min every 4 hours.
    I'd like to think I could trim the intervals a bunch, but I think its better to play it safe (and keep it steady)

....this time tomorrow, I'll be sleeping.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Post Apocalypse

by , February 11th, 2010 at 10:14 PM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    "Delay is preferable to error."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Almost a week after the meet, I was acrobatically dancing around the obstacle course on my living room floor, littered with pink flamingoes, lap counters, clipboards, meet tee shirts, coconuts, backstroke flags, and timer cards. That's one of the perks for being a meet director - your house becomes Public Storage.

Task 1: Attend to labor relations.
    I was grateful to our board president who took on the 'thank you' job this year and wrote a gracious thank you letter naming volunteers and their tasks. But, of course I needed to supply her with all the names and tasks, carefully weeding out those on the labor rolls who took unscheduled leave at meet time.

Task 2: Keep swimmers in the loop.
    I posted a thank you message on the web site meet page, and announced that the results would be posted within a week. This year, I posted all the meet workers' names (since I had already compiled that list). This message was also sent out by email to all swimmers in the meet, with a mentioned that no-shows who ordered tee shirts would be receiving them in the mail.

Task 3: Start the online meet scrapbook.
    About three swimmers immediately sent in some photos. In order to encourage more submissions, I needed to get posted up quickly, giving swimmers something to look at while waiting for the results. This task takes some time - receiving photos, and photoshopping them down to size, correcting color and exposure where necessary. This year, we received some entertaining ones - swimmers standing and practicing starts in the snow, martini glass glasses, and grass skirts among the happy shining faces.

Task 4: Results.
    The pressing concern was to get those final results posted. Swimmers do not know what work goes on in the background, or how much it takes to finalize results. First, a few days of blurry-eyed reviewing 3 times per splash, 672 individual splashes, along with 4 heats of relays and 2 of coconut relays. About 12 errors were found whereby the middle time was not the one that timers submitted. A few races had only two times listed, requiring averaging. This could have resulted from timer fatigue, from sticky stopwatch fingers on the donuts and bagels, or from being in the potty too long. No USMS records this year to worry about processing.

Next, another few days of eyeball callisthenics ensued - left, right, left, right. A comparison of all the times on the timer cards with those entered in the computer meet database was made to be sure they were entered accurately. Another 5 or so mistakes were corrected. These were minor mistakes this year, and a few altered the order of finishes. Last year a whopper mistake was found: a 1-minute error in a 100-IM time.

Once the results were done, yours truly webmaster needed to whip up the web site with results. Let's see, pdf files, html web site files, and meet records updated. Then a submission to the USMS Meet Database and our LMSC site was kicked out. J-Rod contacted me to say my online results did not contain the officials' names and certifications. As per our Rule Book, I have always submitted them to our sanctions chair with the 'official' printed results after past meets, but never posted them on the web site results. I noted that most meet results I saw online did not do this (even the Zone SCM championship), and no one in Potomac Valley ever asked them to be posted online. But no problem to post them, so voila!

Week One Aftermath was complete. Results were up, and it was time to move on to the other apres-meet duties.

Updated February 12th, 2010 at 12:46 PM by Rnovitske

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Humpty Dumpty 500s

I was feeling lazy today and contemplated skipping practice, but after reading about the heroic measures blogsters in the mid-Atlantic seem to be taking to get in a swim, I decided I would feel ashamed not to go.

( I do hope the snow clears out soon for everyone that has been hit hard. I’ve been following the action with plenty of there-but-for-the-grace-of-Florida-go-I shuddering.)

So I did go to the pool and got in the following workout with swimbuddy Ray:

1000 warmup

12 x 50 @ :50 (4 sets of 50 easy-50medium-50fast)

Broken 500s
    4 x 125 @ 2:00 [focused on maintaining strong kick on odd lengths]
    2 x 250 @ 4:00, increasing speed each 50
    5 x 100 @ 1:40, odds BK, evens FR
    1 x 500, negative split

300 warmdown

I need to figure out what meets I want to do over the next couple months, and what events I want to swim in them. I'll probably do the March 7 meet at Eisenhower park; Harvard is a possibility.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Drive to Swim, Thursday, Feb. 11

by , February 11th, 2010 at 06:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Desperate for a swim, I spent almost two hours driving back and forth to swim at the Freedom Center. But it was worth it! It seemed like it was set up SCM to me. I had to restrain myself not to overdo it. But I'm up to 2 swims the week before my meet. I think I'll get a short one in sometime tomorrow too.

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters on back w/fins @ :35

10 x 25 shootes on belly w/fins @ :35

50 EZ

5 x 50 PLD breast @ 1:15 @ 200 pace or maybe 150 pace

50 EZ

12 X 25
    odds = easy speed fly @ 100 pace
    evens = EZ

Got kicked out of the pool by a USA team. Had to move over to a shallow pool. Had contemplated doing a fast 50 back, but nixed it since I was sharing a lane and it was 4 feet deep.

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 dolphin dive (the only fun part about shallow pools)

Total: 2450

Planning on stretching and RC work tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt decent. After 4 days of rest, the legs don't feel that rested though. I'm increasingly convinced that a 3 week taper is necessary to adequately rest them to perform at the highest level (given the pummeling they routinely get).

I've been sleeping an obscene amount this week. I feel like I'm in semi-hibernation. It's going to be difficult to get back on a schedule of rising relatively early ...

Notes on Racing Weight Con't:

1. Tailor you carb intake to match your training. The more or harder you train, the more carbs you need. Low levels of carb intake will hinder endurance performance during heavy training.

2. A trained athlete burns carbs at a rate of almost 1 gram pr minute even during moderate exercise.

3. High quality carbs include: whole heat bagel, banana, whole wheat bread, whole grain breakfast cereal, brown rice, lentils, oatmeal, orange juice, baked potato, whole wheat pasta, tomato sauce, low fat yogurt with fruit.

4. Don't worry about fat. Far doesn't make us fat. The typical endurance athletes gets 30-35% of calories from fat. Just worry about getting the right amount of carbs and total calories. There is flexibility in fat intake and it should not prevent you from reaching your ideal racing weight.

5. "The balance of scientific and real world evidence suggests that, in general, endfurane thletes shoujld not go out of thir way to eat a lot of protein. If you're eating enough for optimal performance (10-25%), eating more will have no effect on your performance.

6. Recommended macronutrient ranges: carbs 40-80%, fat 20-40%, protein 10-25%.

7. To ensure your energy sources are properly balanced, it is advised to do a dietary audit for 3 days. There is a nutrition tracker on www.racingweight.com.

8. Eat early! Regular breakfast eaters tend to be leaner. Eating early causes overall reduced appetite and reduced eating throughout the day. Before early am workouts, one should consume a small dose of easily absorbable carbs (sport drink, banana, smoothie, yogurt).

9. Eating frequently does not increase metabolism. It may reduce appetite. But eating frequently only works if you don't overeat at the small meals.

10. Consume at least 100 grams of carbs before workouts. Eat during exercise. There is no difference between a high calorie sport drinks and a low cal one in terms of increased endurance. Eating after exercise promotes leanness.

Next chapter: Controlling Your Appetite

Note: Vive sent me a note observing the following: "One of the reviewers of Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight on Amazon says the author repeats some now discredited physiology info. No biggy, says the reviewer. But it looks like a bit of caution might be useful in translating some of the specifics."

I have never carefully tracked my diet. However, I think I have 3 flaws: (1) I don't eat enough early in the day, though I do always eat breakfast, (2) I always snack at 11:00 pm, and (3) I may overeat and not exercise portion control at times, particularly at dinner.

Updated February 11th, 2010 at 08:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. 2/11/10 Running for A Sixpack

by , February 11th, 2010 at 05:18 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    No not to the liquorstore...in a most likely vain attempt to see my abs again before I dirtnap...
    I did another 4.5 in 41 minutes today...my left knee was bothering so I had to stop and flex my hammy to make it go click..then I was ok.

I still prefer outdoor running to treadmill but it's better than slipping around in the frozen tundra that is NE USA right no.

After my run I did some core work but I ommitted should and RC set because of shortage of time due to a snow delay.

However...I must say I tend to get very sweaty after running and while doing core work...even when I take off the sweat shirt.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Problem Solved

by , February 11th, 2010 at 04:42 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Thu Feb 11th 2010 drop downs

by , February 11th, 2010 at 11:22 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Feb 11th 2010

weighed 217 after practice

Duh, I forgot to turn in my hour swim info. The deadline was yesterday, Oops

Subscribe to this Blog

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    whitney coached
    noon to 1:15
    swam with Tyler todd, & Mike
    beside Mike Lovato, Ritchie Cunningham, Erin, Larry, Paul & Max

wore old B70 legs

warm up:
    200 k

MAIN SET: DROP DOWNS
    Started at 2:00 drop interval by 2 seconds on each round she gave us a 1:00 break at 1:30

begin with 150's
    150's to 1:40
    125's to 1:26
    100's to 1:08
    075's to 1:00

assigned 400, 200k, 400
    did:
    100 k strong went 1:06

rested 5 minutes

100 k faster SDK & fly kick on my side
    went :58

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center
    Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN

Updated February 11th, 2010 at 09:58 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Wed Feb 10th 2010

by , February 11th, 2010 at 10:52 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Feb 10th 2010

weighed 217 after practice

went to be late on Tue night so I skipped the Wed 5:30 AM practice to swim at noon

Subscribe to this Blog

WEIGHTS

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

scy, main pool
    whitney coached
    noon to 1:15
    swam with Tenille & Marcio
    beside Larry

wore old B70 legs

warm up:
    went around 800

5 x 200 fr on 2:20

50 easy

5 x 100 fr on 1:05

50 easy

attempted 5 x 50 fr on :30

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

March 4 - 6, 2010 Austin, TX UT Swim Center
    Austin Grand Prix
    Count Down

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO
    Countdown

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
    COUNTDOWN
  11. I feel for you snow junkies

by , February 11th, 2010 at 07:22 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I am cold and yes I am in the south. When I lived in Connecticut I had an outdoor jacket and an indoor jacket. At least here in the south I have let go of the indoor jacket. I am still cold...

5x200@3:30 Free to Warm Up in more ways than one
    500 Free kick w/fins & snorkle held good streamline (this is hard for me)
    500 Back kick w/fins good streamline (this seems easier)
    5x100@1:45 Free to Back w/paddles & bouy 4F, 3F/1B, 2F/2B, 1F/3B, 4B
    8x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy long and loose
    200 Free easy

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. I'm not sick, I've just been for a swim.

by , February 11th, 2010 at 12:29 AM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    It used to annoy me that, for the last few years, every time I talked to my mum on the phone she always asked me if I was sick.

She'd say I sounded like I had a cold.

I'd reply, "NO! I'm not sick, I've just been for a swim!".

It's now routine for me to sneeze for hours after every swim practice, and my sinuses are constantly blocked. I think this is a very common complaint for swimmers.

I didn't realise how awful I sounded until I bought myself a little Flip camera and played around with it this afternoon. This is not my real voice! Yuk! Sorry mum, you were right. I do sound like I have a cold.

This is a trial video I took this afternoon of my fledgeling, Charlotte, giving my 5lb, 10oz cat Marmalade, her thyroid medication.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwwldI6uH0"]YouTube- VID00003.AVI[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Liam White, Boy Genius

by , February 10th, 2010 at 10:10 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Since Sunday, my friend and swimming coach Bill White and his family have been staying at our house due to a power outage.

It has been a wonderful experience for me, and I am hoping that this vlog will not bring me to the attention of the authorities vested with child labor law violations.

Liam and his sister Ciara, Bill and Colleen's adorable progeny/spawn, have made this house come alive! Liam has figured out, among other things, how to broadcast the Internet on our High Definition TV set; how to get free replacement Nintendo Wii remote's wrist straps and and Nintendo Wii remote jacket; how to melt snow without causing icing problems via electrolysis and/or evaporative technlogies not yet fully pioneered; etc. He has also been shoveling.

But more than anything else, he has been showing me how to revolutionize my personal computing experience.

Liam White, the 9 ⅝- year-old, fourth grade boy genius (who showed me how to use run "charmap" to get the ⅝ symbol) showing me how to use Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Regular readers of this vlog will remember the pithy genius of Liam, back when he was in Ms. Lanza's third grade class at Cornell Elementary (nominated for a PA Blue Ribbon School Award). This is his homework assignment on idioms. I do not personally believe that any paper turned in that day was more deserving of an A+.

Other than the vast amount of time that I wasted on Facebook and other Internet time sucks, I worked on my next article assignment, which is on the health benefits of exposure to Nature. I do not believe that my editors, when assigning the topic, had in mind Snowmageddon I and Snowmageddon II. That is neither here nor there. In any event, after reading a scientific journal article on how houseplants in the office setting can improve the mood of males, vis a vis reduction of stress and state anger, I decided to move my office to the jungle. Liam helped me execute this dream by making it a reality.

And on this note, it is time (arguably high time) that Liam goes to bed and I shut my pie hole.

Thanks, Liam! Thanks Bill for animating Liam, and Colleen for serving as the Vessel for this animation, and Ciara for not bothering Liam while he showed me how to use the computer(which I had no idea how to do before the power outage brought the boy genius into my home).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Tuesday

by , February 10th, 2010 at 09:25 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    We had a 2 hour delay at school today. I love 'em!
    Swimming was a solo effort today at LA Fitness. (my membership ends Friday) I felt tired, sluggish, and unmotivated so I just made it up as I went along.

**10 X 50 Free on 1:00
    **100 Flutter kick with board and no fins.
    **4 X 50 Free on :55
    **100 flutter kick with board and no fins.
    **4 X 50 Free on :50
    **100 Back flutter kick no fins
    **15 X 100 (alternating 100 Back, IM, and free) on 2:00
    **8 X 25 Butterfly Drills on :45
    **easy 100 backstroke cool-down

3,000 scy

I'm trying to figure out if I want to swim in the IU Master's meet this Saturday. I'd love to wear my BS suit a few more times!
    I'm trying to shake this shoulder/neck problem. I will be visiting the chiropractor and getting graston work on Friday. I'm not sure if a swim meet would be a good idea the morning after the bodywork. I'll probably just get up early Saturday and make my mind up then.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Looking good

by , February 10th, 2010 at 07:26 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    At least for right now, it looks like we will be able to swim at Auburn at least for one day. Have a friend staying at the house to watch son and the animals while we are at the meet(we have 3 dogs, 3 cats). I've had too much time out of the pool, so not sure how well I will do. Got in today for the first time since Saturday. Have had some things come up, so kind of bummed could not get in until today, but here it is:

Warm-up: Reverse 200 I.M.

8 x 25 swim/drill with fins on:45
    #s 1,3 - Regular free, work turnover
    #2, 4 - heads-up free - work turnover
    #5, 7 - breaststroke with flutter kick
    #6, 8 - breaststroke with dolphin kick

4 x 25 breast - alternate 2 strokes with breast kick and 2 strokes with dolphin kick

4 x 100 fly - 3 rt/3lt/3 full on 2:00

100 free drill - big arms

6 x 50 on 1:15 - fly/back, back/breast, breast/free, free/fly, free/back, free/breast

1 x 200 easy dolphin with fins on back

4 x 25 back

100 easy

1700 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. IM Morning

The temp was around 30 degrees this morning, so I wasn’t sure whether the pool would be open for 6 am workout. I drove over with my fingers crossed, and was rewarded with an open pool, an enthusiastic if shivering coach on deck, and 3 great workout buddies. It was cold but not nearly as windy as last night, and there was a lovely sunrise just after warmup.

Here’s what we did:

1000 scy warmup (400 swim, 300 drill, 200 kick, 100 IM)

12 x 25 @ :30; odds underwater, evens choice build

8 x 25 fly @ :30 focusing on technique [I worked on keeping my arms moving at all times—no extended gliding!—and arm entry and pull positions]

2 x 200 IM @ 3:30

8 x 25 back @ :30, focusing on technique [getting a deeper catch]

2 x 200 fr/bk/fr/bk @ 3:30

8 x 25 breast @ :40, focusing on technique [I worked on delaying my kick a bit—it made my breaststroke feel neater and less splayed out, but maybe also a bit less powerful]

2 x 200 IM @ 3:30

4 x 25 sprint FR @ :45 [“because you should always end an IM set with some fast freestyle”]

400 warmdown

It was super to get in some stroke coaching this morning—I love working on technique, and don’t do it enough. I felt good in the water but fatigued, and none of my swimming was terribly fast. I was grateful for the generous intervals. I’m looking forward to a easy morning off (from swimming at least) tomorrow.

After swimming I drove up to Alabama for lunch with my family, then back down here. As I was passing all the farms, I was reminded of my age-group swim coach who insisted on rolling down the window and mooing at the cows anytime we passed any—he said it was to see if he could make them look up. I think when he acquired this habit, he had no idea that he would one day be stationed in rural Alabama and get to do so much mooing.
    (For any parents of adolescents out there who are looking for new and improved ways of embarrassing your kids—this is an excellent method. Make sure you do it when they have friends in the car.)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Snoverkill, Wed., Feb. 10

by , February 10th, 2010 at 05:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, we got socked with our 4th big snow of the winter. 4 feet of snow in 96 hours. More snow porn pics attached below. There are 6-7 feet snow drifts around my house. Everything's closed, as expected, so no swim. And school is now closed through the end of the week. The kids haven't been in school since last Thursday.

Yoga/RC:

I did about 50 minutes of the P90X yoga DVD, skipping the difficult balancing postures to rest the legs. Then, I did about 15 minutes of RC exercises and another 15 minutes of stretching. I am all bendy and foldy.

Racing Weight:

I read more of Racing Weight while finishing up my LOTR marathon. Here's the Summary:

Seasonal Considerations:

1. Your racing weight is your ideal performance weight, but not necessarily your training and general health. You don't want to leave your body underfueled for base-level training. Keep your training weight no more than 8% greater than your skinny racing weight.

2. Weight gain doesn't occur slowly, but rather rapidly over short periods of time. The 7 most frequent causes of weight gain for athletes are: weekends, holidays, periods of stress (the stress hormone cortisol promotes fat storage), the freshman 15, pregnancy, menopause, and post diet rebound. Gaining weight slowly through adulthood is not inevitable and natural. Training and activity will slow the decline in muscle mass and increase in body fat.

3. It's fine to take 1-2 weeks off after a big event for physical and mental regeneration, but after that get back to daily exercise. Short easy workouts are far better than nothing, though endurance athletes tend to dismiss their worth.

4. The amount of carbs in your diet should vary with your training cycle. Reduce carbs and increase protein in the off season. The healthiest and most efficient way to increase protein is to use protein shakes.

5. At present, there is no solid evidence to suggest that supplements are required for optimal muscle growth and strength. However, increasing protein and amino acids has other benefits. It reduces appetite, eating and fat storage, thereby promoting weight loss.

Improving Your Diet Quality:

1. The gylcemic index is nearly useless as a tool for weight management or general health promotion. There's more to food than its effect on blood glucose. The truest measure of a food's value is its total concentration and balance of nutrients.

2. The author creates his own diet tool, called The Diet Quality Score. Pretty basic theory: eat a wide variety from 6 food sources. Don't eat too much from one source no matter how nutritious. He cites a study of women that showed the women who ate the greatest of healthy foods had the lowest mortality rate over 10 years.

3. The 6 high quality foods are: fruit, veggies, lean proteins, whole grains, low fat dairy and essential fats. Fruits are awesome b/c of their high antioxidant capacities, fiber and water content. The author suggests 3-4 servings of fruit and 3-4 of veggies each day. "No one ever gets fat eating nuts." And you must eat whole grain carbs, which is an endurance athlete's energy source. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential and enhance the fat burning effect of exercise. The best sources of salmon, flax seeds and flax seed oil. He recommends a daily supplement. Unlike Geek, I don't think this promotes the need for Depends. Most people likely need to be taking Vitamin D as well, especially if they don't get enough sunshine.

More updates later ...

Updated February 10th, 2010 at 05:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020086.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	6346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020088.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	6347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020089.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	6348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020090.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	6349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020092.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	6350  

18. 20 yard pool...no weights today.

by , February 10th, 2010 at 01:48 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Early closing at the Y but I was at the sister branch and jumped in the 20 yard pool for an hour rather than miss out all together. I got in 3000. I don't like swimming 20 yards, but I found the extra turn to be an interesting training tool...the tiredness from a 5 x 20 100 was different than a 4 x 25 100. I think the extra push off hits you, although faster tiime (holding 1:25's on 1:45) results.

Anyhow did it thus:

5 x 100 1:45
    9 x 60 K 1:30...think I held 1:15's at worst--no fins. Kicked extra 20 Yards to make 500.

5 through:
    100 IM 2:00 (did either 2 FR or 2 BR--I didn't think about it until too late that I should have gone through and done an extra 20 yards per stroke
    100 FR 2:00

3 x 200 K Fins
    1 x 400 K Fins

Pool was closing but I figured fast fin kicking would be a good leg hammerer in a short time space.
    I had a Muscle Milk with lunch...I think I'll power nap soon...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Felt sluggish but did well?

by , February 10th, 2010 at 07:43 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Go figure, sometimes when you have nothing you still do well. The streamline position when I am on my stomach is still not natural and is uncomfortable but I will have it down by Nationals.

10x100@2:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    5x100@1:45 Fly w/fins as 50 skull drill/50 kick
    5x100@1:30 Free kick w/fins went 1:21, 1:20, 1:20, 1:21, 1:18 legs burned
    5x100@1:40 Free w/paddles & snorkle
    10x50@55 Free good streamline and dolphin kickout on pushoff and turns
    3x200@:15R as 100 drill/100 swim good streamlines and kickouts

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 2/8/10

by , February 9th, 2010 at 09:47 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Ran 4.5 miles in 41 minutes and did a 2o minute core and shoulder routine.
    Categories
    Uncategorized